PDA

View Full Version : Does Bynum trade suddenly make Phili a top FA spot?

NYSpirit1
08-11-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm happy to see that Phili has finally made a big move for the first time in years. Boston/New York/Brooklyn/Phili should be an excellent divisional race.

But now that Bynum is in Phili, will free agents flock here?

Many top teams (MIA, LAL, BK, NY, LAC, BOS, OKC) are capped out now and Phili as a city is already a desirable spot, but the Sixers will have cap over the next few years, do you see them being in the mix the next time around for a Harden, a Love or a Jennings?

I certainly can. A guy like Harden can star alongside Bynum here and a team like the Thunder won't be able to keep all those guys. Bynum's a core piece to attract other free agents just like Wade was on the Heat, Blake on the Clips and Amare on the Knicks.

Harden and Jennings are free agents soon, so time will tell. Dallas, Chicago and Phili should be the main cities active over the next two years.

Anyways, the Sixers seem like they are in way better position that they were 48 hours ago.

It's also finally time to see if Holiday and Turner can blossom now that Iguodala & Lou Will are gone.

FriedTofuz
08-11-2012, 03:58 AM
sixers are a top team now. Turner will be living up huge. A core of Holiday- Turner- Bynum would be amazing.

GREATNESS ONE
08-11-2012, 04:00 AM
It should, Bynum is legit. His presence will be felt immediately in Philadelphia. I can see it being very enticing, especially how close Philly is to becoming a true contender.

Avenged
08-11-2012, 04:09 AM
We still need to see how well Bynum and the sixers do. If they have a great season then yes.. Bynum is still only 24 years old though, Turner is 23, and Holiday is 22.. They have a very bright future. I could possibly see them becoming like the OKC Thunder down the road.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-11-2012, 04:10 AM
sixers are a top team now. Turner will be living up huge. A core of Holiday- Turner- Bynum would be amazing.

I just dont see that at all.

Jrue is a great young talent but he hasnt proven hes much of a facilitator yet. Evan Turner has been a disappointment thus far, lets face it, he could have a great year next year but that would be expecting too much. The only "great" piece they have is Bynum who they have to hope is A) healthy and B) grows up a bit.

They have a very good team, but I just dont see them be a "Top team" per say. A lot has to happen for them to be a championship contender.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-11-2012, 04:14 AM
We still need to see how well Bynum and the sixers do. If they have a great season then yes.. Bynum is still only 24 years old though, Turner is 23, and Holiday is 22.. They have a very bright future. I could possibly see them becoming like the OKC Thunder down the road.

I disagree, they have a bright future, but they will not be the next OKC.

Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka are all exceptional talents who even proved early on that they had greatness within them. I havent seen that from the Sixers much at all. Granted, Bynum is an exceptional talent but in now way is Jrue and Turner on the level Durant, Westbrook, or Harden were their first few seasons.

GREATNESS ONE
08-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Bynum will average 25-12-2

shep33
08-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Philly looks real nice. Just read that Drew is excited to be playing for the Sixers!

AWC713
08-11-2012, 04:50 AM
are people forgetting that bynum is a free agent?

bynum has shown no reason to believe he is a loyal player, so assuming hes re-upping with philly is a huge, unwarranted assumption at this point

Aust
08-11-2012, 05:02 AM

bynum has shown no reason to believe he is a loyal player, so assuming hes re-upping with philly is a huge, unwarranted assumption at this point

But it's a likely assumption. I don't see Drew leaving that money on the table ala bird rights.

I sure hope Philly becomes a bigger FA spot, this season will tell us a lot.

OKC
08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
next year they can have a team like this.
holiday
turner
josh smith
al jefferson
bynum
obviously its not going to happen but its something to think about.

RLundi
08-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I like the team, but I don't know if they'll attract players until they prove they can win.

But Bynum, Holiday, Turner and Thaddeus Young is a really nice core, not to mention they have a superb coach...

Reversed86Curse
08-11-2012, 01:13 PM
How well they do will depend on how long it takes them to gel. A young team with Andrew Bynum as the focal point doesn't impress me, actually. 5 years from now it could be different though....

Gritz
08-11-2012, 01:16 PM

3 years $60 million if he leaves
5 years $102 million if he stays
I think he's staying

LanceUpperCut
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Well didn't the sixers fall apart the second half of last year. Bynum is nice but I don't see him over AI as being a massive upgrade. I think Philly needs Turner and Holiday to step it up big time to really make a diffrence.

AirJordanXVIII
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
3 years $60 million if he leaves
5 years $102 million if he stays
I think he's staying

Its 3/60 if he extends now. 5/102 if he resigns after the offseason with the Sixers, and liek 4/80ish if he goes to another team after the offseason I think.

yaswaggin
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Turner is far from a bust, but noone expects him to become a superstar. He will however become a very good role player.

Jrue+Turner+Bynum= great future

Look for the sixers to offer the max to harden, thunder may not match due to may be going over the cap with ibaka's contract situation coming up in 2 years.

If the sixers get harden, they'll go hard to get josh smith (unrestricted f.a next year) unless moultrie shows great upside and will probably re-sign nick young.

PG: Jrue
SG: Harden
SF: Turner
PF: J-Smoove
C: Bynum

Bench: Nick Young, Thad, Moultrie, Kwame (good defensive backup at C), Lavoy, Richardson

Dade County
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
If somehow the 76ers can make it to the 2nd rd again, and Bynum comes out and says that he loves the city and he isn't going nowhere, then yes I can see free agents coming there.

But I don't think that Bynum is going to resign with the 76ers when the upcoming season ends.

I feel that he will go to a team that can pay him and has a very very good chance of winning a championship. I think he wants rings, fame, and the money.

AirJordanXVIII
08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
If somehow the 76ers can make it to the 2nd rd again, and Bynum comes out and says that he loves the city and he isn't going nowhere, then yes I can see free agents coming there.

But I don't think that Bynum is going to resign with the 76ers when the upcoming season ends.

I feel that he will go to a team that can pay him and has a very very good chance of winning a championship. I think he wants rings, fame, and the money.

I disagree. Bynum has made it clear he wants to be the man on a up and coming team. That's why he said he liked Cleveland or something. Besides as long as the Sixers can offer him more years and more money I think they'll always have the upper hand in contract negotiations. But yea Bynum has to like the city or else money doesnt matter, but Philly is a great city and its close to home so I think he'll like it.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Turner is far from a bust, but noone expects him to become a superstar. He will however become a very good role player.

Jrue+Turner+Bynum= great future

Look for the sixers to offer the max to harden, thunder may not match due to may be going over the cap with ibaka's contract situation coming up in 2 years.

If the sixers get harden, they'll go hard to get josh smith (unrestricted f.a next year) unless moultrie shows great upside and will probably re-sign nick young.

PG: Jrue
SG: Harden
SF: Turner
PF: J-Smoove
C: Bynum

Bench: Nick Young, Thad, Moultrie, Kwame (good defensive backup at C), Lavoy, Richardson
You're making a lot of assumptions. It will be pretty hard to fit Harden, JSmooves, and Bynums contracts onto your team while still keeping the likes of Jrue, Turner, Nick Young, and Thad since all three will most likely get a max deal.

hugepatsfan
08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Well didn't the sixers fall apart the second half of last year. Bynum is nice but I don't see him over AI as being a massive upgrade. I think Philly needs Turner and Holiday to step it up big time to really make a diffrence.

Iggy leaving had to happen for Holiday and Turner to develop.

yaswaggin
08-11-2012, 02:47 PM
You're making a lot of assumptions. It will be pretty hard to fit Harden, JSmooves, and Bynums contracts onto your team while still keeping the likes of Jrue, Turner, Nick Young, and Thad since all three will most likely get a max deal.

it would work if jsmoove gets less then max, at least for 3 years.

but if j-smooves demands the max then i'd rather give moultrie the nod at PF if he shows signs of starter potential his upcoming rookie year.

JordansBulls
08-11-2012, 06:12 PM
They would be amazing if they still had Iggy as well.

SugeKnight
08-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Time for turner to step up

naztrack
08-11-2012, 09:21 PM
people are funny...Bynum can play no doubt but he doesnt fit there system so now they have to slow it up for him and that hurts the rest of the team. why is it that no one else sees this.

sunsfan88
08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Its still Philadelphia.

Their fan base has a bad rep all around the country. Their the same people who freaking booed Santa Clause a few years ago. You make one tiny turnover, and everyone starts booing.

They freaking wanted to kill DeSean Jackson after he single handedly recovered that Eagles franchise.

They have the weirdest fanbase in sports.

theLgndKllr35
08-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Its still Philadelphia.

Their fan base has a bad rep all around the country. Their the same people who freaking booed Santa Clause a few years ago. You make one tiny turnover, and everyone starts booing.

They freaking wanted to kill DeSean Jackson after he single handedly recovered that Eagles franchise.

So what else did ESPN tell you? Seriously, just shut up before you get handled in an argument.

bholly
08-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Its still Philadelphia.

You mean 1968?

Crazy-good example of the way people on here jump on a narrative and run with it without actually having any idea about it themselves.

Raph12
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm extremely excited to see how Bynum performs as a first option...

shep33
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Philly has some of the best fans in the country. I'll bet anything that he stays. No way he's leaving a great situation like they have in Philly (young players, good coach), for another team. Really the only other team that could get him is Dallas. I'm not so sure that Drew will want to play 2nd fiddle to Dirk.

knicks=love
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
who spells philly with an "i"? :eyebrow:

beasted86
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't see how the Sixers got much better.

They traded/waived:
Iguodala, Brand, Lou Williams, Vucevic

Received:
Bynum, + J. Richardson, Dorrell Wright

The team got marginally better, but not better than Boston, New York, or Brooklyn who are in their same division. I see them as a 6th seed, basically taking the spot of Orlando/Atlanta of old.... and I don't see free agents wanting to sign there any more than anywhere else.

shep33
08-12-2012, 12:08 AM

They traded/waived:

Received:

The team got marginally better, but not better than Boston, New York, or Brooklyn who are in their same division. I see them as a 6th seed, basically taking the spot of Orlando/Atlanta of old.... and I don't see free agents wanting to sign there any more than anywhere else.

I love the move they made. They weren't going anywhere with Iggy, and in all truth you can't build a team around Iggy, but you can with the 2nd best center in the NBA.

They needed a scorer badly, and they potentially go the best offensive center in the league. Holiday, Turner, Young and Bynum are a solid young core. Maybe their record won't be significantly better this year, but they're still babies.

SMH!
08-12-2012, 12:09 AM

They traded/waived:

Received:

Brand and Vuc barely played in the playoffs, We got Young to replace Lou, Iggy's defense will be missed but his offense is easily retainable, we got the best center in the east and some shooters and promising players in ET and Jrue.

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:11 AM

They traded/waived:

Received:

As well as Kwame Brown, Nick Young, Arnett Moultrie and Royal Ivey. We also have Evan Turner going into his 3rd who is going to be more free to play his style with the absence of Iggy (Turner has a history of playing his best ball when Iggy wasn't on the floor) and Jrue Holiday who is also expected to improve his game some more going into his 4th year in the league.

We have room for growth within and an even stronger bench. We got better. What we will be lacking however in veteran leadership on and off the floor.

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:15 AM
people are funny...Bynum can play no doubt but he doesnt fit there system so now they have to slow it up for him and that hurts the rest of the team. why is it that no one else sees this.

System? Do you know our system? We were a team that had problems executing the the half court because we didn't have a legit scoring presence in the post, hence the reason why we attempted to counter attack as much as we did. We aren't a run and gun offense by any means. The only reason we played that way is because our half court offense (our intended offensive system) wasn't firing on all cylinders. Now with Bynum on board that aspect of our game has been strengthen greatly and we can now fully initiate our system.

No one else sees it because you are completely incorrect.

shep33
08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah they'll lack leadership, but Collins seems like a pretty good leader. I could be way off though Swashcuff lol. You'd know this better than me.

#1chickhearnfan
08-12-2012, 12:20 AM
The sixers have a great coach, very good young core, and the second best center in the league. Watch out east

SouthSideRookie
08-12-2012, 12:21 AM
How well they do will depend on how long it takes them to gel. A young team with Andrew Bynum as the focal point doesn't impress me, actually. 5 years from now it could be different though....

The reason why the Lakers went all out for Dwight is because Dwight is the type player that will attract other stars, Bynum not so much. Also I think it's a very risky proposition to commit a five year max deal to Bynum due to his injury history, too many red flags, injury-wise and w/ maturity issues. I think it's very intresting that in the end Houston, Cleveland nor the Magic didn't think trading for Bynum was worth the risk.

Aust
08-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Did Collins like this trade? What was his relationship with Iggy? I remember it was either high or low

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah they'll lack leadership, but Collins seems like a pretty good leader. I could be way off though Swashcuff lol. You'd know this better than me.

Collins isn't the most loved coach in the league by his players but what he is is respected. I think all the players on the 76ers (and hopefully the newbies) have an understand with Collins that he is running the show in more ways than not and if they buy into his philosophy it will only be to their benefit. He's a good leader in the sense that he tends to get his players to adapt to his expectations.

I'm hoping that he can have a good relationship with Bynum in every aspect however. It's IMO essential to us having a positive future.

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Did Collins like this trade? What was his relationship with Iggy? I remember it was either high or low

He didn't have a good personal relationship with Iggy (it was rumoured that they didn't speak on a personal level in almost two years the Iggy fanboy in me doesn't want to believe this however) on a professional level their relationship was great. Doug is a huge reason as to why Iggy has become the player he has. On both ends of the floor its largely due to Doug's teachings that Iggy has really grown into his own and fully understanding and accepting his role. There were some bumps in him getting there but last season eventually we saw Iggy fully grasp his true role in the NBA and thrive in it.

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm going to finally answer the question and say no however. If we do become an attractive location for FAs it would be because the other more attractive locations aren't in positions to take on major contracts and we were the ones with the most upside and most money available. I mean look at Dwight and the Magic for the past 5+ seasons. Never once were they able to lure an attractive FA there and you'd think with all the benefits of player in Orlando/Florida FAs would be flocking to go there especially given the fact that they had the best player at the most important position in the league at head.

mp3
08-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Its still Philadelphia.

What? Please tell me how great the fan base of Phoenix is...

beasted86
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
As well as Kwame Brown, Nick Young, Arnett Moultrie and Royal Ivey. We also have Evan Turner going into his 3rd who is going to be more free to play his style with the absence of Iggy (Turner has a history of playing his best ball when Iggy wasn't on the floor) and Jrue Holiday who is also expected to improve his game some more going into his 4th year in the league.

We have room for growth within and an even stronger bench. We got better. What we will be lacking however in veteran leadership on and off the floor.

Lacking veteran leadership, a go-to defender, and passers from any and all positions outside of J Rue (who isn't an assist machine himself). Team has more front court depth but not quality depth. If Bynum has to sit a game or two for a nagging injury, I expect losses. If Jrue gets injured, I expect the offense to look more stagnant than it did in previous years.

I'd still argue they have no go to guy late in games. The team got better in some area, weakened in others. Philly has improved, but not significantly and not enough to become a marquee free agent destination over anywhere else.

akagiredsuns
08-12-2012, 12:52 AM

Calm down. You're comparing Bynum, Turner & Holliday to Durant, Harden, & Ibaka? :facepalm:

flatbush knicks
08-12-2012, 12:54 AM
yo if the sixers get harden they don't need j smith they good with bynum harden and holiday

knickfan33
08-12-2012, 12:56 AM
if there a winning team FA's will come... simple as that. he definetly helps, but that team still needs some peices.

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Lacking veteran leadership, a go-to defender, and passers from any and all positions outside of J Rue (who isn't an assist machine himself). Team has more front court depth but not quality depth. If Bynum has to sit a game or two for a nagging injury, I expect losses. If Jrue gets injured, I expect the offense to look more stagnant than it did in previous years.

I'd still argue they have no go to guy late in games. The team got better in some area, weakened in others. Philly has improved, but not significantly and not enough to become a marquee free agent destination over anywhere else.

If the opposing player is someone in the mold of Dwyane Wade, James Harden, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose etc we certainly have a go to defender in Jrue Holiday. He was a top 5 defensive PG last season. Evan can also create shots for himself and others so him and Jrue should negate SOME of what we'd miss from Iggy in that area.

We know our weaknesses and our strengths. We are a stronger team now than we were last season. I also don't know what you're talking about we have quality depth. Thad Young is a 6MOY contender and everyone outside of our reserve PG are solid rotation players who can give you a serious lift off the bench on any given night.

OaklandsFinest
08-12-2012, 12:59 AM
I think yes, but its contingent on a few things.. Regionally I don't get to see many sixer games but they need to remind people they're just as relevant historically as the Lakers and Celtics. Bring back AI alot, bring back Dr. J and Moses Malone, remind people of the history of a great franchise. Then Philly is a great city, and if you have money, and young talent you'll get an important piece or two. I would even very seriously look at moving Bynum for Millsap and Favors if you can get it. But thats just me..

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Calm down. You're comparing Bynum, Turner & Holliday to Durant, Harden, & Ibaka? :facepalm:

You forgot Westbrook as well.

He's not comparing the players however he's comparing the way they teams are going to grow together. We can mirror a team like OKC only IF and this is a HUGE IF Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday can both become borderline all star players and Bynum can continue to improve. It's a long shot though for all 3 to happen. I'd bank on two of them however. Bynum and Jrue.

beasted86
08-12-2012, 01:10 AM
If the opposing player is someone in the mold of Dwyane Wade, James Harden, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose etc we certainly have a go to defender in Jrue Holiday. He was a top 5 defensive PG last season. Evan can also create shots for himself and others so him and Jrue should negate SOME of what we'd miss from Iggy in that area.

We know our weaknesses and our strengths. We are a stronger team now than we were last season. I also don't know what you're talking about we have quality depth. Thad Young is a 6MOY contender and everyone outside of our reserve PG are solid rotation players who can give you a serious lift off the bench on any given night.

Wade, Paul, Rose? you really think Jrue is stopping them even on his best day? He is okay, but isn't a go to defender. If Jrue is the team's best perimeter defender, your team is not good on perimeter defense, period.

As far as Turner, Jrue, etc... we are talking about Turner who has career averages of 8 PPG, 2 AST. I expect, and hope he can improve with more offensive freedom, but the expectations have to be realistic. To expect him to go from decent role player to go to guy probably isn't going to happen so quickly. Jrue had a somewhat down 3rd season. Team still has some problem areas and things to figure out.

We both say they have improved, but I'm not sure we see the same amount of improvement. I see them as a 45-48 win team and a 6th seed. How much do you see them improving?

eibbor
08-12-2012, 01:15 AM
In a word, NO... Not even maybe. If you have to ask why you aren't a fan/GM... It's just not close or realistic

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Wade, Paul, Rose? you really think Jrue is stopping them even on his best day? He is okay, but isn't a go to defender. If Jrue is the team's best perimeter defender, your team is not good on perimeter defense, period.

Dude no one is stopping Wade, Paul or Rose they are some of the best offensive players in the game but Jrue is just as good a defensive option as there is out there.

If you paid attention to Jrue last season you'd know how valuable he was for us on D when Iggy was off the floor. He is a top 5 defensive PG in the NBA. Him and Evan Turner are + perimeter defenders. We're going to miss Iggy immensely but we'll still be able to hold our own on that end of the floor.

As far as Turner, Jrue, etc... we are talking about Turner who has career averages of 8 PPG, 2 AST. I expect, and hope he can improve with more offensive freedom, but the expectations have to be realistic. To expect him to go from decent role player to go to guy probably isn't going to happen so quickly.

No rational person is expecting Evan Turner to turn into a go to guy where are you getting this? Last season we didn't have a go to guy and it can be the very same again this coming season at least down the stretch. As I said earlier I am hoping that Turner can become a top 10-15 SG/SF (whichever position he plays) in the league by the end of next season.

Jrue had a somewhat down 3rd season. Team still has some problem areas and things to figure out.

Down offensively but improved even more on the defensive end of the floor.

We both say they have improved, but I'm not sure we see the same amount of improvement. I see them as a 45-48 win team and a 6th seed. How much do you see them improving?

Just as much as you say. You are however downplaying what we're currently working with in terms of individual players and not understand how good they are. Our bench is solid, our young players have decent upside and despite having some of the same weaknesses we had last season we now have even more strengths than we did. One step at a time things are coming together. The Heat were fortunate to have everything fall into place simultaneously and even then they too still have their weaknesses we're still building. Its one of the youngest teams in the league lets not act as if we don't have room to grow.

shep33
08-12-2012, 01:19 AM
If they could somehow team up Harden with Drew, that'd be disgusting. But either way they've got a very nice core going.

Teeboy1487
08-12-2012, 01:23 AM

How can you not include Westbrook? :facepalm:.

GREATNESS ONE
08-12-2012, 01:27 AM
^ lol

Yea they just need one solid piece, first is to resign Bynum and have a successful season.

Avenged
08-12-2012, 01:56 AM
You forgot Westbrook as well.

He's not comparing the players however he's comparing the way they teams are going to grow together. We can mirror a team like OKC only IF and this is a HUGE IF Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday can both become borderline all star players and Bynum can continue to improve. It's a long shot though for all 3 to happen. I'd bank on two of them however. Bynum and Jrue.

^ That. Obviously it won't be identical to OKC.. There is no player on Duran't level there. And heck, there is no player on Duran't level anywhere aside from in Miami. But they are building their team nicely with drafting good, and making good trades. Especially out in the East, this team can be scary good when all players are fully developed.

Bynum is only 24 years old, Turner is 23, and Holiday is 22. :speechless: If that's not a bright future I don't know what is.

David123
08-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Hate all you guys want. All the Sixers fans know we need a big man that controls the inside. That's why we signed Brown a month ago. How we got the 2nd best big man in the league. We've been trying to get rid of Iggy for years and finally got more then what his worth. I think teams have been offering what his realy worth and the sixers didnt see the point of making a even trade. We are one of the youngest teams in the league and how is one of the biggest. We may be the 6th seed this season. But Bynum being the man here and close to home he may be happy. Which he didn't seem to be in LA. We don't need any big name FA. Build around our yOung big three and watch us in two years take the chip!

#1chickhearnfan
08-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Philly could do so damage,

#1chickhearnfan
08-12-2012, 02:46 AM
This is what bynum wanted, now he has to prove to everybody who is the better center.

sixer04fan
08-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Its still Philadelphia.

Dumbest post I've read in a longgg time.

1) We booed Santa back IN THE 60's you idiot. Not a few years ago. Wtf are you talking about? Also, he was booed because he was drunk and picking on kids and families. Get your facts straight. What's wrong with you?

2) We killed Desean Jackson after he single handedly recovered the Eagles franchise? I don't even know what this is a reference to, but we've consistently been one of the top teams in the NFC for about a decade straight before Desean even put on an Eagles jersey for the first time. And when did we "kill" him? When he got drunk in Atlantic City and missed practice in the middle of the season last year? Oh yeah... We're terrible fans for that...

**** you. Educate yourself before you talk **** on an entire city and fan base. Moron.

javaid64
08-12-2012, 04:06 AM
well phili is certainly more appealing than new jersey...but even within the division, toronto, ny, boston, most would say those places would be better to live in.....i've been to all those place(live in NY)...i personally like toronto the most....but phili is nothing special...occasional cheese steak...but alot less friendly people and a lot less to do.

USMCLaker
08-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Being a shameless Bynum apologist I say yes this puts the 76'ers in the upper echelon in the East.

AirJordanXVIII
08-12-2012, 11:16 AM

As far as Turner, Jrue, etc... we are talking about Turner who has career averages of 8 PPG, 2 AST. I expect, and hope he can improve with more offensive freedom, but the expectations have to be realistic. To expect him to go from decent role player to go to guy probably isn't going to happen so quickly. Jrue had a somewhat down 3rd season. Team still has some problem areas and things to figure out.

Name one point that could completely shut down a Wade/Paul/Rose. If you actually watched the Sixers rather than make unsupported claims you would know that Jrue is a very good sized point guard and an above average defender. As for Turner, no one is expecting him to become that go to guy in one season. All we're looking for him to make somewhat of a significant improvement as opposed to a marginal improvement. No one think he's going to make the jump into the next Brandon Roy etc. in one season. This season will be a true measuring stick for him because of the way he's been used the past two years as he was used extremely inconsistently. If he doesn't make a jump this season, then maybe the talk about him not becoming a star has some substance. But to say now that he cant become that go-to guy is shortsighted. Even though it is unlikely, the potential is still there, unlike someone like Iguodala.

Sixerlover
08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
You guys are talking about Philly like it's a dump town.

In baseball we get the top FA's to sign
In football we get the top FA's to sign
In hockey we get the top FA's to sign

Basketball is much more of a "who else is there" sport, but since Bynum is now here it isn't like great players are scared of Philly. Every other sport shows that people love coming to Philly. We LOVE players that play hard, and will let you know if your not. It's motivational. Only guys that don't want to play for a Philly team because of the fans are scared of criticism, and we wouldn't want those type of guys anyway.

With Bynum here, and if we see some improvement from Jrue / Turner Philly absolutely could be a big FA destination.

Sixerlover
08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
And the "BYNUM might not re-sign" stuff is silly in my opinion. Look at what Orlando got for Dwight. AA, Harrington, Vuc, Harkless and some picks. Vuc and Harkless were directly from Philly and AA and Harrington were products of sending Iguodala to Denver. We could've dealt directly with Orlando and got Howard for ourselves, but he had his sights set on LA.

So of course they got assurance from Bynum's agent that he'll re-sign with us (big market, most $$ to offer, close to home, HIS team) or else they would've went with the Howard 1 year rental instead of the Bynum 1 year rental.

elledaddy
08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
LMAO, as long as they got rid of E Brand. Watching the 6ers play was mad BORING. Hopefully this team is a little more exciting. I think the biggest thing that everybody is leaving out is how is Bynum gonna mesh with D Collins. He can be hard on a young player the way he micro manages EVERYTHING on the court and we all know Bynum can flip out sometimes. Im sure also ppl like MELO, LBJ, PIERCE, GRANGER, J JOHNSON,WADE will all be happy IGGY left. I ound know how Turner and J-Rich is gonna hold up vs those guys

MickeyMgl
08-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm happy to see that Phili has finally made a big move for the first time in years. Boston/New York/Brooklyn/Phili should be an excellent divisional race.

But now that Bynum is in Phili, will free agents flock here?

Many top teams (MIA, LAL, BK, NY, LAC, BOS, OKC) are capped out now and Phili as a city is already a desirable spot, but the Sixers will have cap over the next few years, do you see them being in the mix the next time around for a Harden, a Love or a Jennings?

I certainly can. A guy like Harden can star alongside Bynum here and a team like the Thunder won't be able to keep all those guys. Bynum's a core piece to attract other free agents just like Wade was on the Heat, Blake on the Clips and Amare on the Knicks.

Harden and Jennings are free agents soon, so time will tell. Dallas, Chicago and Phili should be the main cities active over the next two years.

Anyways, the Sixers seem like they are in way better position that they were 48 hours ago.

It's also finally time to see if Holiday and Turner can blossom now that Iguodala & Lou Will are gone.

Well if they have cap room, as you say, then they'll be a free agent spot. It won't have anything to do with Bynum.

DeyAce
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
They got 2 players I wanted the Bulls to get Bynum and Young.

AirJordanXVIII
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
They got 2 players I wanted the Bulls to get Bynum and Young.

PLEAASE take Young haha. Unless your talking about Nick Young.

DeyAce
08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Ya Nick Young

Swashcuff
08-12-2012, 01:45 PM
PLEAASE take Young haha. Unless your talking about Nick Young.

The only reason anyone should want Thad Young gone is because of his contract as the team currently stands he's extremely valuable to us with the offense he provides off the bench and the way in which he scores. It will also be intriguing to see how he copes alongside a legit low post C. He can really thrive next to a player of Bynum's calibre.

Knowledge
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Sources close to Andrew Bynum say he is beyond thrilled about the situation in Philadelphia. He’ll get the chance to be his own star, be the focal point of the team and remain in the discussion as an All-Star starter.

Bynum is in the final year of his deal and, like all of the names on this list, is not signing a contract extension. The 76ers say they are OK with the risk, because they feel they acquired a marquee center that will stay long-term.

Unless the wheels completely come off the franchise, a new deal for Bynum is almost assured because those that know him say he will not leave the money on the table to walk away and Philly has been given some level of assurance that Bynum is OK with what this new situation means for him. There have been no “commitments” made, but like Chris Paul and the Clippers, the 76ers understand where they stand with Bynum long-term.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-the-next-nightmare-in-the-nba/

Rockice_8
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM
How much money will they have next year? Including the $20 mil per Bynum is going to get. And who will be left on the roster? Do they have max money?

Rockice_8
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
well phili is certainly more appealing than new jersey...but even within the division, toronto, ny, boston, most would say those places would be better to live in.....i've been to all those place(live in NY)...i personally like toronto the most....but phili is nothing special...occasional cheese steak...but alot less friendly people and a lot less to do.

Who plays in NJ?

topdog
08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I

RowBTrice
08-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Why? Is he extremely fun to hang out with or something?

Knowledge
08-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Sources close to Andrew Bynum say he is beyond thrilled about the situation in Philadelphia. He’ll get the chance to be his own star, be the focal point of the team and remain in the discussion as an All-Star starter.

Bynum is in the final year of his deal and, like all of the names on this list, is not signing a contract extension. The 76ers say they are OK with the risk, because they feel they acquired a marquee center that will stay long-term.

Unless the wheels completely come off the franchise, a new deal for Bynum is almost assured because those that know him say he will not leave the money on the table to walk away and Philly has been given some level of assurance that Bynum is OK with what this new situation means for him. There have been no “commitments” made, but like Chris Paul and the Clippers, the 76ers understand where they stand with Bynum long-term.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-the-next-nightmare-in-the-nba/

bump.

I posted in response to the earlier questions about whether Bynum would stay and if philly was a place people would want to play.

Rockice_8
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Quick math says they will have about $54 mil committed to next season counting the $20 mil Bynum is going to be receiving.

So yeah they will be a nice FA destination for a guy who wants about $4 mil.

2-ONE-5
08-14-2012, 01:59 PM

They traded/waived:

Received:

the Sixers adding, Wright, Nick Young, BYNUM, J-Rich > Knicks adding Felton, Kidd and Camby. We were 1 game behind NYK last year and we tanked the last game so prob would had same record.

Lou will wont really be missed and Vuc hardly played. Brand was as good as a vet leader as it gets and incredible post defender but this team got signifcantly better.

Knowledge
08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Quick math says they will have about $54 mil committed to next season counting the $20 mil Bynum is going to be receiving.

So yeah they will be a nice FA destination for a guy who wants about $4 mil.

The assumption is that since we have so many players on 1- 2 year deals, we can create cap space for 2013. We have 4 players signed beyond 2013- 2014 so we should have some flexibility for the next couple of years.

Puck017
08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
?????? Pretty much all the worth while free agents have already signed & Bynum won't be signing with the 76ers until next off season if he does. I can't see how this changes anything. They will definitely have plenty of cap room to get Bynum some help next off season if he stays;.

CTCUBBIES
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Honestly is Chicago with Rose isn't a huge free agent destination (and it hasn't been for whatever reason) then there is no way Philly becomes a big free agent destination. Players seem to want to be in NY, LA and Miami and that's about it.

Maybe if those teams become too strapped cap wise Chicago, Dallas, Philly etc. will be the next tier of destinations but tough to say.

dibacco59
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
bynum avereged 19 pts 12 rbs and 2 blks last year playing 3rd banana to kobe and pau, while establishing himself as the 2nd best center in the league. Not to mention that he is healthy right now for once and turning 25 three days before the season starts,

in philly, he is immediately the number one option, and i see no reason why he cant average 25-30 pts and 12-15 rbs.

as far as him resigning and attracting other big names, once again, why not? philly is the 3rd biggest media market in the country, and currently the biggest market left that doesnt have a superteam (only LA and NY are bigger, and the clips lakers nets and knicks are all tied up with cap)

like it or not, philly is back (esp if jrue holiday and evan turner do what i think they can do this year)

not to mention everyone on the roster is younger than 25 with the exceptions of nick young, j rich, d wright, royal ivey, and kwame brown

Puck017
08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Honestly is Chicago with Rose isn't a huge free agent destination (and it hasn't been for whatever reason) then there is no way Philly becomes a big free agent destination. Players seem to want to be in NY, LA and Miami and that's about it.

Maybe if those teams become too strapped cap wise Chicago, Dallas, Philly etc. will be the next tier of destinations but tough to say.

I don't think it was every really much of an option for top free agents to go to Chicago while Rose has been there. Boozer was suppose to be their big free agent and they got him plus they already had Noah and Deng which they knew they would have to pay.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
bynum avereged 19 pts 12 rbs and 2 blks last year playing 3rd banana to kobe and pau, while establishing himself as the 2nd best center in the league. Not to mention that he is healthy right now for once and turning 25 three days before the season starts,

in philly, he is immediately the number one option, and i see no reason why he cant average 25-30 pts and 12-15 rbs.

as far as him resigning and attracting other big names, once again, why not? philly is the 3rd biggest media market in the country, and currently the biggest market left that doesnt have a superteam (only LA and NY are bigger, and the clips lakers nets and knicks are all tied up with cap)

like it or not, philly is back (esp if jrue holiday and evan turner do what i think they can do this year)

not to mention everyone on the roster is younger than 25 with the exceptions of nick young, j rich, d wright, royal ivey, and kwame brown
That's a bit absurd. So you're saying he can average Shaq like numbers? Please. He will see a lot of double teams this season with no dominant big next to him like Pau. Bynum should still have a very nice season but 25-30 points is laughable.

dibacco59
08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
i guess an extra 5-10 points a game is laughable?

and i think we can all guarentee AT LEAST a 30 and 15 performance going up against players such as brook lopez....

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
i guess an extra 5-10 points a game is laughable?

Completely. He is not averaging more than Durant and as I stated the loss of Pau next to him will effect him big time in the post. You're going overboard on your analysis.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
and i think we can all guarentee AT LEAST a 30 and 15 performance going up against players such as brook lopez....

And I'd look at the numbers before you talk on that subject, Lopez has dominated Bynum each time they have played.

He has an extremely tough time defending him.

speakerboxx
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Honestly, If he decides he wants to leave then so be it...But it's a chance the sixers had to take...and I think it will make this team 10 times better, someone said he isn't as a big an upgrade over iggy, I can tell you, after watching this team forever, HE IS and THEN SOME...I actually think iggy might be a bit over-rated. He's a good defender whose repuation has morphed into him being a great defender simply because there are very few perimeter defenders, or because most don't want to play defense... and in a world of blind men, a one eye man is king... Bynum on the other had is a guy who will command a double team constantly, he's a force beyond anything iggy could ever be...He WILL make everyone on that team better just by being on the court... He'll create space for the guys on the perimeter and he'll create extra possessions with his rebounding, and he gives the Sixers something they haven't had since A.I 1.0...a goto guy the break opposition scoring runs and a guy who you know will get the ball with the game on the line... something iggy was not very good at...

Eagles710
08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Its still Philadelphia.

Okay? The eagles hae been a Legit team for the past 10 years, always have been in the mix so your 100% wrong there ... They boo'd santa Clause inthe late 60's not a FEW YEARS GO lol .... and if those are the facts you have that make us a Weird fanbase? ... then i guess your not really a fan at all, if you really know NOTHING about what you are saying ... But keep the info coming bud :clap:

Rockice_8
08-14-2012, 02:47 PM

I do cause he's not anywhere near Shaq or Dwight for that matter and that would make him one of the best centers ever, which he is not.

Seriously you don't think playing with guys like Pau and Kobe help a guy like Bynum. Having that kind of talent around you helps keep double and triple teams off of you.

Bynum isn't averaging those numbers so just stop. If anything he'll struggle with consistent double teams. There's a better chance of him play worse then he did last year then putting up 25+ points and 12+ rebounds.

Eagles710
08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Dumbest post I've read in a longgg time.

1) We booed Santa back IN THE 60's you idiot. Not a few years ago. Wtf are you talking about? Also, he was booed because he was drunk and picking on kids and families. Get your facts straight. What's wrong with you?

2) We killed Desean Jackson after he single handedly recovered the Eagles franchise? I don't even know what this is a reference to, but we've consistently been one of the top teams in the NFC for about a decade straight before Desean even put on an Eagles jersey for the first time. And when did we "kill" him? When he got drunk in Atlantic City and missed practice in the middle of the season last year? Oh yeah... We're terrible fans for that...

**** you. Educate yourself before you talk **** on an entire city and fan base. Moron.

Lmao, i did not see your post, i told him literally the exact same things

Eagles710
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Why is Everyone spelling Jrue first name like this ... Drew... lol, Maybe we really are a small market team ? lol

netfan83
08-14-2012, 04:54 PM
How much money will they have next year? Including the $20 mil per Bynum is going to get. And who will be left on the roster? Do they have max money?

Finally someone realized that there's a cap. All the posters who are talking about a couple of maxed FA don't know how to count. With Bynum pulling in $19 Mil and Jru having a cap hold of around $10 Mil, Philly won't even have enough for a max FA unless then can get rid of Richardson or trade Turner.