PDA

View Full Version : How did the Magic not land Bynum or Gasol?

Houston_Heat
08-11-2012, 03:00 AM
If they landed either, one could say they atleast saved face a little bit? Can anyone explain how Bynum went to the Sixers instead? Did Magic not want him?

seikou8
08-11-2012, 03:01 AM
he would not sign a extension with them and the lakers didn't want to give up both the end close this ****

Aust
08-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Didn't want to take them and their contracts on. Wasn't sure if Bynum would stay and wanted financial flexibility and to homegrow a team through the draft like OKC.

Avenged
08-11-2012, 03:12 AM
They didn't want either of them.

shep33
08-11-2012, 03:15 AM
They didn't want to pay Bynum like they would've had to pay Lopez, and they didn't want Pau and his pretty big contract, albeit for only 2 years.

They also probably didn't want Pau because they didn't want to be mediocre. With Pau, Afflalo, and a couple other guys that they got, the Magic might've gotten the 7-8th seed out east. Which as we know, is the worst position to be in.

Losoway
08-11-2012, 03:29 AM
bath salt

Jays Claw
08-11-2012, 03:37 AM
The Magic will be going through a thorough rebuild for the next few years - there's no denying that. So acquiring a veteran piece like Pau Gasol wouldn't make much sense considering his decent play would've held them back from a high lottery pick. As for Bynum, I thought for sure he would be going to Orlando in a Dwight deal - I guess not. Maybe they weren't so sure of him as a long term option at center with his bad track record of injuries and immaturity. Who knows?

--23--
08-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Who cares about Bynum and Gasol, Afflalo is the GOAT :worthy:

lol

49erGiantLaker
08-11-2012, 03:39 AM
At least the magic will probably end up with next years #1 draft pick.

Losoway
08-11-2012, 03:43 AM
At least the magic will probably end up with next years #1 draft pick.

no way. the nba is not gonna fix the draft 3 years in a role

Hellcrooner
08-11-2012, 03:45 AM
no way. the nba is not gonna fix the draft 3 years in a role

wait and see.
Btw whos the dude in your pick?

he looks like Hugo chavez :speechless:

GREATNESS ONE
08-11-2012, 03:47 AM
With the first pick in the 2013 NBA Draft the Orlando Magic select...

Auseranami
08-11-2012, 04:00 AM
After dealing with the Dwight Howard saga I doubt rob wanted to deal with Andrew "I'm gonna do what I want" Bynum, which makes sense.

Avenged
08-11-2012, 04:02 AM
With the first pick in the 2013 NBA Draft the Orlando Magic select...

They are going to develop him for us to take in 5-8 years in the future. :up:

Steelers23_06
08-11-2012, 04:22 AM
I think they just wanted the situation over and not take players that are going to want big contracts and may not mesh with certain players. if they got bynum he would expect a contract and if not its makes the FO look bad. but i think in this situation they stink like a portapotty in the serengeti the next couple years stock up high draft choices (which thanks to the new CBA will be pretty cheap) and add solid free agents when 2010 v2 happens and guess what there contender again. by then this will all be a distant memory and free agents will consider signing there with new coaching young management and a up and coming roster (if they get low picks but lets be real stern usually hooks up the little guy can you say WAS, CHI or NO. well besides MJ i dont think he likes em...he must of beat him for a couple mil in a game of cards or something).

imo 5 years from now ORL is better then LA. watch.

GREATNESS ONE
08-11-2012, 04:35 AM
They are going to develop him for us to take in 5-8 years in the future. :up:

Hahaha Ouch! But I hope it's someone good! They deserve it :)

justjames
08-11-2012, 04:52 AM
I think they just wanted the situation over and not take players that are going to want big contracts and may not mesh with certain players. if they got bynum he would expect a contract and if not its makes the FO look bad. but i think in this situation they stink like a portapotty in the serengeti the next couple years stock up high draft choices (which thanks to the new CBA will be pretty cheap) and add solid free agents when 2010 v2 happens and guess what there contender again. by then this will all be a distant memory and free agents will consider signing there with new coaching young management and a up and coming roster (if they get low picks but lets be real stern usually hooks up the little guy can you say WAS, CHI or NO. well besides MJ i dont think he likes em...he must of beat him for a couple mil in a game of cards or something).

imo 5 years from now ORL is better then LA. watch.

In 2 years, Kobe and Pau's contracts come off the books and they'll probably have enough cap space to sign a max contract player to pair with Dwight. Guess who can opt out of their contract to become that max contract player? Lebron James.

Sssmush
08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
If they landed either, one could say they atleast saved face a little bit? Can anyone explain how Bynum went to the Sixers instead? Did Magic not want him?

yeah, it's funny, this narrative started in the media that the Orlando would want to go the New Orleans route and shed salary and get picks and prospects, and by the end Orlando believed it.

Like why was it SUCH a big priority to dump Richardson and Duhon, who are actually decent players. Duhon will be a nice backup on the Lakers.

Orlando could've just tried to keep it's team together and improve it a bit, and then add just one player (such as Igoudala or Pau) and one lottery pick next year, and they would've been better off.

Instead, they actually get six players (two starters, two roll players, one second year prospect and one rookie) and 5 draft picks (3 future protected firsts, and 2 future second rounders).

It doesn't do anything for them to win now, and if they improve in the future it will be because they finish last in the NBA again and get the #1 pick (again) and not because of this trade.

Actually, if they are going this route they should just trade Harrington and Aflallo along with dumping Turkoglu.

I don't know... it's not terrible... but like you said, why didn't they get EITHER Bynum or Pau, and just role the dice on re-signing them, and get at least one lottery pick out of it, instead of just a whole squad of somewhat average players.

Steelers23_06
08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
In 2 years, Kobe and Pau's contracts come off the books and they'll probably have enough cap space to sign a max contract player to pair with Dwight. Guess who can opt out of their contract to become that max contract player? Lebron James.

lmao lebron...thats your plan :eyebrow:

thats the worst plan ever! do you know how many teams are still recovering from planning for lebron. all im saying is you better have a plan B because i think he learned from his past mistakes that he cant just leave a franchise high and dry especially with the moves pat riley continues to make. he recovered once but the public may not be as receptive to forgiving him twice the only way i see him leaving is in the twilight of his career to cleveland to get the love back from his homestate.

Sssmush
08-11-2012, 05:08 AM
I mean, if you were going to do this to your team, why did you even want to keep Dwight Howard in the first place?

And then you trade Dwight, and you don't want to add a new All Star, you just want low-salary filler players for some reason.

??

seikou8
08-11-2012, 05:12 AM
lmao lebron...thats your plan :eyebrow:

thats the worst plan ever! do you know how many teams are still recovering from planning for lebron. all im saying is you better have a plan B because i think he learned from his past mistakes that he cant just leave a franchise high and dry especially with the moves pat riley continues to make. he recovered once but the public may not be as receptive to forgiving him twice the only way i see him leaving is in the twilight of his career to cleveland to get the love back from his homestate.

the lakers always get there man they don't suck for long periods of time most is 5 years, allers will find another guy maybe not Lebron but someone else. leborn could leave earlier seeing wade on decline will scary him to leave;)

Steelers23_06
08-11-2012, 05:16 AM
the lakers always get there man they don't suck for long periods of time most is 5 years, allers will find another guy maybe not Lebron but someone else. leborn could leave earlier seeing wade on decline will scary him to leave;)

man your just as ridiculous as the last guy. they dont always get there guy btw they draft there guy and build em up. but with trading all your picks that plan is out the window. so your bet is free agency or bust. nothing is guaranteed in the nba even if you are the high and mighty lakers.

bringinwood
08-11-2012, 05:37 AM
The reason is because they didn't want any of the centers out there at those prices...

Lopez- Not worth it...

Bynum- Not worth it...

Gasol- OMG definitely definitely not even remotely close to worth it...

So, unlike most of Laker nation will have you believe, they are playing in a market that prohibits them from attempting a risk to be formidable...

They either need a 100 percent sure thing or to get lucky in the draft...

Vinny642
08-11-2012, 06:41 AM
bath salt

Lmao ur sig is funny

KnicksorBust
08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
They didn't want either of them.

I'm glad they were smart enough not to trade for Lopez.
Pau Gasol would only be a band-aid but is not a long-term solution. But I'm surprised this is true about Bynum. Maybe they were convinced they couldn't sign him long-term?

Iceman_9
08-11-2012, 10:22 AM
magic wants to rebuild from scratch..

Heatcheck
08-11-2012, 10:23 AM
so they chose some crap draft picks and not having anyone to draw a crowd, instead of having bynum for a year, and at the very least have his bird right (which is huge), and then if he leaves your in the same spot u are now but with some real financial flexibility.

justjames
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Before this offseason, I would think that Lebron opting out of his contract and coming to the Lakers is the longest of long shots but we essentially traded Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and 3 high 20s draft picks for Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. Anything seems possible now.

RLundi
08-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Um, because they didn't want either of them?

tnewkirk
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Um, because they didn't want either of them?

yea they did.

Heatcheck
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Before this offseason, I would think that Lebron opting out of his contract and coming to the Lakers is the longest of long shots but we essentially traded Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and 3 high 20s draft picks for Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. Anything seems possible now.

in other words, its either, when lebron is 38 and past his prime, or specifically asks to be traded to LA and sabotages all other deals by claiming he wont sign an extension. I wouldnt hold my breath.

RLundi
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
yea they did.

The Magic did not want either of them.

Bynum was a risk not to re-sign and the Magic were weary about committing to an injury-risk that wouldn't commit to them.

Gasol is great as a third or fourth option, but not to lead a team, not to mention he is making an absurd amount of money. The Magic want to REBUILD, not be the number 8 seed for 4 seasons.

So as previously mentioned, they did not want either of them.