PDA

View Full Version : Will Kobe ever fizzle out?

kjoke
08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Kobe said when his contract runs out he will retire. Do you think we will ever see Kobe become an average player?

Hawkeye15
08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
If Kobe sticks around on another 2 year deal, yes, he will probably be an average player at that point. Well, average starter I mean.

Zefflin
08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Hawkeye and I what a surprise!

Kobe has such a unique career and image. It's no secret he's my favorite player. He could play another 5 years and be a top 10 player until he retires if he wanted to, which everyone knows is true. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season. I'm still in a daze as I'm shocked and excited to what happened, I've been watching and playing bball a long time, this is the happiest I've been in many moons. I'm going to light a pipe and play 2k11 now.

Hawkeye15
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
You can't stop father time Zefflin.

MickeyMgl
08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Kobe said when his contract runs out he will retire. Do you think we will ever see Kobe become an average player?

If he retires within the next 2-3 years, no. After that, I suspect he'd slip.

Zefflin
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Haha, you may be right Hawkeye. But Kobe's been doing a good job of it so far. Better at it then perhaps anyone? Like yourself, I'm a major basketball lover. No arguments outta me, I'm just trying to figure out when the game is on later.

lakersrock
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Now that he doesn't have to do everything offensively, we'll see his shooting and defense increase. He's still the best SG though. (Don't argue Wade. He's hurt a lot and can't shoot.)

JordansBulls
08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Once he realizes Dwight is the better player he will retire.

bigsams50
08-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I think we will start seeing Kobe take it easy in the regular season, and then turn it on in the postseason

cjdabu
08-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Or maybe the Olympics is foreshadowing this year...slowly slipping away...haha nah, I'm sure if he calls it quits when his contract is up he'll go out still be a productive player on his own terms. OR..big or. His lil blip about playing in Europe is his plan. Once he feels a slight decline he'll head back over there and again be dominant since the competition isn't AS good as it is here, and then call it quits.

RaiderLakersA's
08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
No man beats Father Time.

beliges
08-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Once he realizes Dwight is the better player he will retire.

Dwight cannot carry the offensive load for a team. At least not to a championship. This much has been proven time and time again. The fact remains that Kobe will be the #1 option on this team this coming season and probably up until the day he retires. Dwight will anchor the team in the paint defensively and with his rebounding. But theres no doubt who the go to guy is on that Lakers team. With that said, I think Kobe will probably call it quits if he can get 2 more rings in the next 3 seasons.

Ending up with 7 rings would be something nobody has accomplished in the modern era of the NBA and would cement the man's legacy as one of the absolute three best players that ever lived. He really cant move any higher than that in my opinion.

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Michael Jordan was still putting up monster numbers when he retired for the second time at age 34. He averaged 20 points, four assists and 5.5 rebounds per game at age 38 and 39. And if you don't think Kobe Bryant is every bit as tough as Jordan, you're a complete fool. So no; he will not fizzle out. He will go on adapting his game and playing well until he decides he wants to retire.

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Naw, Kobe will probably still be dropping 30ppg in 2020. No regression to witness here.

Hellcrooner
08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Two words for KObe Monks.

ADVANCED STATS.

beliges
08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Kobe in his 16th NBA season was doing something that had never been done before by anybody playing in their 16th season. The numbers he put up and the level he played at was something unprecedented for a player in their 16th season. Its hard to say Kobe will fizzle out. Surely he is on the downside of his career and at the back end of his NBA life. Not too many years left for him but I see him being a top 10 player for the next 4 years or so and after that, I think hes gone. I mean its gonna be remarkable to see him putting up these kind of numbers in his 17th season. Furthermore, now that he has the tools surrounding him, he can very well go out winning a few more titles and then retiring. I mean the potential for 7 titles is a real possibility now.

SOmething no other player in modern basketball was ever able to accomplish. Amazing things can happen. Just when people thought his legacy was all but sealed as a top 6-8 player. Nowever, with another title, hes gonna be top 3. And thats remarkable given that he is in his 17th season and still among one of the top 5 players in the league.

RowBTrice
08-10-2012, 05:06 PM
It's inevitable.......

Chronz
08-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Dwight cannot carry the offensive load for a team. At least not to a championship. This much has been proven time and time again. The fact remains that Kobe will be the #1 option on this team this coming season and probably up until the day he retires. Dwight will anchor the team in the paint defensively and with his rebounding. But theres no doubt who the go to guy is on that Lakers team. With that said, I think Kobe will probably call it quits if he can get 2 more rings in the next 3 seasons.

Ending up with 7 rings would be something nobody has accomplished in the modern era of the NBA and would cement the man's legacy as one of the absolute three best players that ever lived. He really cant move any higher than that in my opinion.

Proven how? Havent we seen guys like Richard Hamilton be the teams leading scorer win a title? Tony Parker even?

RowBTrice
08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Kobe in his 16th NBA season was doing something that had never been done before by anybody playing in their 16th season. The numbers he put up and the level he played at was something unprecedented for a player in their 16th season. Its hard to say Kobe will fizzle out. Surely he is on the downside of his career and at the back end of his NBA life. Not too many years left for him but I see him being a top 10 player for the next 4 years or so and after that, I think hes gone. I mean its gonna be remarkable to see him putting up these kind of numbers in his 17th season. Furthermore, now that he has the tools surrounding him, he can very well go out winning a few more titles and then retiring. I mean the potential for 7 titles is a real possibility now.

SOmething no other player in modern basketball was ever able to accomplish. Amazing things can happen. Just when people thought his legacy was all but sealed as a top 6-8 player. Nowever, with another title, hes gonna be top 3. And thats remarkable given that he is in his 17th season and still among one of the top 5 players in the league.

He's also a younger age in his 16th season then any other player was in their 16th season.....that's not exactly apples-to-apples.