PDA

View Full Version : Will this Laker team be better than the Kobe Shaq Laker teams?

Vampirate
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Discuss.

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
No way. Shaq was such a beast back then. Much more dominant than dwight is or will be.

Swashcuff
No

jmoney85
not a chance

LakersMaster24
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
We have to wait and see. The other Lakers team had too many amazing role players like Horry, Fox, young DFish, Shaw etc.

Vampirate
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
I recognize how dominent shaq was, however the Lakers haven't had a pg this good since the Magic days, even if he is in the twighlight of his career.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Wait and see. I for one think Dwight will end up with more rings then Shaq as a Laker.

We'll re-open this in 5 years.

RaiderLakersA's
08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Way too early to make this thread.

There is one distinct advantage, however, that the Shaq-Kobe Lakers had that no other team currently can hope to match: Phil Jackson.

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Doubtful at best.

Hellcrooner
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
On paper? OF course.

I mean fisher vs Nash? Fox/george vs artest..... ok tie, Pau vs H grant/Ac green? theres no contest, this team is ON paper better.

The big downfall is on the bench, Phil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Potato with glasses.

GoPacers33
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
On paper? OF course.

I mean fisher vs Nash? Fox/george vs artest..... ok tie, Pau vs H grant/Ac green? theres no contest, this team is ON paper better.

The big downfall is on the bench, Phil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Potato with glasses.

lol so true

AKAYaReal
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
No. The Shaq Lakers team was a overall better team when it came to stars and role players.

That Lakers team also had a coach that just won 6 titles. This team has Lebron's old *****

Hawkeye15
08-10-2012, 04:14 PM
No. Their backcourt, while effective, will be eating at Golden Corral and watching Murder She Wrote, and while I think Gasol's numbers will improve, Dwight can't hold Shaq's jock strap.

Will they be one of the top 4 teams in the NBA, and a true contender? Yes. But they won't flat out scare teams like the 2000-01 Lakers.

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was better than Dwight Howard will ever be, but I think these Lakers are better overall. Ask yourself: Are Howard and Pau Gasol combined more valuable than Shaq? Is Steve Nash at this point in his career more valuable than Derek Fisher and Glen Rice? Is Ron Artest a better defender than Rick Fox or Devean George? If so, then they're better than the three-peat Lakers. The only thing that could piss me off more is if Lamar Odom came back for the veteran's minimum and decided to become the sixth man of the year-type player again.

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 04:15 PM
blake
meeks
forgot #3's name
jamison
hill

not a bad bench, but not a very good one either.

PrettyBoyJ
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Not even close.. Shaq and Kobe is arguably the best 1-2 punch ever.. Dwight has a long way to go before he can sit at Shaqs old locker

Gibby23
08-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was better than Dwight Howard will ever be, but I think these Lakers are better overall. Ask yourself: Are Howard and Pau Gasol combined more valuable than Shaq? Is Steve Nash at this point in his career more valuable than Derek Fisher and Glen Rice? Is Ron Artest a better defender than Rick Fox or Devean George? If so, then they're better than the three-peat Lakers.

This team without a ring is better than the one that won 3 in a row?

Jenceman
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Well those teams won 3 in a row, including the most dominant postseason run ever. Hard to match that.

Plus Phil vs. Brown.

This team CAN do it, I doubt they will though. My homer prediction is the Lakers win the next 2 ships. Just to overtake Boston :drool:

Hotone1401
08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
It's hard to say but on paper this looks like one of the greatest starting 5's ever as far individual player accomplishments being compiled together.

The 2000 Lakers were a great team with great role playing vets. I guess we'll just have to see. Obviously, Dwight is still the only player in his prime as far as this current roster, but this maybe one of the smartest basketball teams ever put together as well when you consider Kobe's, Nash's, and Pau's bball IQ.

I'm still in a bit of shock over what has just transpired and I can't wait to see them play.

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2012, 04:25 PM
This team without a ring is better than the one that won 3 in a row?

Talent-wise: Yes; they're better. And don't forget that the three-peat Lakers had weaker competition to face.

Mr.ATLHawks
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Talent-wise: Yes; they're better. And don't forget that the three-peat Lakers had weaker competition to face.

I love these weaker competition arguements. Really? Blazers, Kings and Spurs all had good teams during their 3 peat run.

knickfan33
08-10-2012, 04:34 PM
no. come on now, shaq and kobe prime.

ps. phil jackson

ghettosean
08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
No way in hell!!!

Matrix3132
08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was better than Dwight Howard will ever be, but I think these Lakers are better overall. Ask yourself: Are Howard and Pau Gasol combined more valuable than Shaq? Is Steve Nash at this point in his career more valuable than Derek Fisher and Glen Rice? Is Ron Artest a better defender than Rick Fox or Devean George? If so, then they're better than the three-peat Lakers. The only thing that could piss me off more is if Lamar Odom came back for the veteran's minimum and decided to become the sixth man of the year-type player again.

Don't forget:

Is the current kobe better than past kobe?

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
While I think it's way too early to have this discussion until we see how they play, I think it's at least debatable on paper. The two big differences however are (1) This team is quite old and it's extremely unlikely that they'll be able to play at their primes beyond 1-2 more seasons; and (2) The league is far more talented now than it was in the early 2000s. Back then, the only team that ever challenged them for titles was the Spurs. Now, the the Heat and Thunder are just as talented and are younger basketball teams.

However, if you put the two teams on a court together hypothetically, I think this group would give the early 2000s Lakers a run for their money. But I don't think they'll be anywhere near as dominant in today's NBA because of their age and greater overall talent in the league.

Stinkyoutsider
08-10-2012, 04:52 PM
No I don't think this Lakers team is better than Shaq's team. I think the role players set them apart from each other.

Shaq's Lakers took down some great competition. The Blazers with an in prime Rasheed Wallace and a Sacremento Kings with an in prime Chris Webber...

Jarvo
08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
No Shaq and they don't have a Horry.

koreancabbage
08-10-2012, 04:56 PM
hard to see how Nash will play. If can make the offense flow like he did in Phoenix coupled with one of the best centers in the league and a top 10 PF on the same team. thats WAYYYY more than what he had in Phoenix.

this brings up the question- can they be better than the early 2000 Lakers?

If the question needs to be asked- then its possible.

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Prime Laker Shaq >>>>> Gasol + Howard. Howard had problems with an old Shaq.

ChicagoJ
08-10-2012, 05:26 PM
This current Laker team needs to play a season to see what they are all about. We already know how good the kobe/shaq teams were. My guess is the shaq/kobe teams will be better. But, this team needs to play a season first to see how they gel together.

Max Power
08-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Maybe the 03-04 team.

shep33
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
blake
meeks
forgot #3's name
jamison
hill

not a bad bench, but not a very good one either.

Honestly, it's still way better than what we had last year.

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Honestly, it's still way better than what we had last year.
No doubt about that. The bench last year was awful

LAKERMANIA
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I consider the 2000 Lakers one of the greatest NBA teams of all time... So as of now I don't think so, but they could be. We will see..