PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a fun year in the Atlantic Division.

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
New York
Felton
Shumpert/Smith
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler

Boston
Rondo
Bradley/Terry
Pierce
Garnett or Bass
Melo or Garnett

Brooklyn
Williams
Johnson/Brooks
Wallace
Humphries
Lopez

Philadelphia
Holiday
Turner/Young
Wright
Hawes or Moultrie or Thad Young
Bynum

Toronto
Lowry
DeRozen
Ross/Fields
Bargnani
Valanciunas

Look at those starting fives, some really solid units with the 6th Men as well. Even Toronto, they have a talented young group that can compete on most nights. Just look at those positional matchups.

Bynum, Chandler, Lopez, Valanciunas and Garnett/Melo at center, without a doubt the best division center wise in the NBA.

Williams, Rondo, Holiday, Lowry and Felton, definitely up there as a division PG wise as well.

Anthony, Pierce, Wallace, Wright and Ross, definitely up there as a division SF wise as well.

Garnett, Stoudemire, Bargnani, Humphries and Hawes/Moultrie, pretty good at PF.

Johnson, DeRozen, Turner, Bradley/Terry and Shumpert/Smith, pretty solid at SG considering how weak the position is right now in the NBA.

All of these division games are going to have a ton of fun positional matchups. If you have league pass, this might just be the division to watch for some great basketball amongst rivals.

LakersIn5
08-10-2012, 11:54 AM
New York
Felton
Shumpert/Smith
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler

Boston
Rondo
Bradley/Terry
Pierce
Garnett or Bass
Melo or Garnett

Brooklyn
Williams
Johnson/Brooks
Wallace
Humphries
Lopez

Philadelphia
Holiday
Turner/Young
Wright
Hawes or Moultrie or Thad Young
Bynum

Toronto
Lowry
DeRozen
Ross/Fields
Bargnani
Valanciunas

Look at those starting fives, some really solid units with the 6th Men as well. Even Toronto, they have a talented young group that can compete on most nights. Just look at those positional matchups.

Bynum, Chandler, Lopez, Valanciunas and Garnett/Melo at center, without a doubt the best division center wise in the NBA.

Williams, Rondo, Holiday, Lowry and Felton, definitely up there as a division PG wise as well.

Anthony, Pierce, Wallace, Wright and Ross, definitely up there as a division SF wise as well.

Garnett, Stoudemire, Bargnani, Humphries and Hawes/Moultrie, pretty good at PF.

Johnson, DeRozen, Turner, Bradley/Terry and Shumpert/Smith, pretty solid at SG considering how weak the position is right now in the NBA.

All of these division games are going to have a ton of fun positional matchups. If you have league pass, this might just be the division to watch for some great basketball amongst rivals.

the pacific division says hi

dwight, deandre, bogut, cousins, gortat.

Ill21
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I agree, should be a great season

Cal827
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Yay, I half came in here expecting to see Toronto ignored lol..

I actually think that all 5 teams could possibly make the playoffs (Boston/NYK/BYK are basically locks, and Philly/Toronto could probably handle most of the other teams in the other east divisions.

Easily the toughest division in the East, and possibly the second toughest in the league to the Southwest Division.

I would say just give it a couple years, when JV/Ross/Derozan peak, but by then, the others might fall off a lil bit lol

jmoney23
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
There's a good chance the division gets 4 of the 8 playoffs spots, with an outside chance at 5. All 5 teams will be competitive and with how weak the bottom of the East usually is record wise, you cannot discount Toronto. Should be a fun year and it could be one of the more talented divisions top to bottom in the NBA.

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Ah, I forgot that Bogut joined their ranks. These divisions are close. Atlantic has two of the three best centers (Bynum, Chandler), a young center who can take a step forward and become very good (Lopez) a very talented rookie who can be very good (Jonas) and a weak spot in Boston in the project that is Fab Melo. Still, Melo should be a good defensive/rebounding center.

Dwight is the best center in the NBA, by far. Bogut is very good, and definitely underrated IMO, but he just can't stay healthy. Then again, that's probably why he's overlooked so much. Cousins is like Lopez, both good young centers who need some time to mature and take that next step. Cousins is better though, I think. Gortat is very solid all around, but I want to see what he does without the great spoon feeding of Steve Nash. Still, he's easily better than what they got going on in Boston. Jordan is a mess right now, but some maturing and he can become a very nice defensive/rebounding center who can grab some alley oops and finish easy inside shots. He can become a poor man's Tyson Chandler, but we need to see him do it first. He and Jonas are probably close right now, even though he's a rookie.

I think I will retract my statement and give the Pacific Division the nod, with Atlantic being second and no other division being in the same universe. These two divisions have 8 of the best 12 or so centers in the NBA right now already, with a talented rookie in Jonas who should become top 10 no problem.

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
How much is LP anyways? Of course I get to go to college and miss all my 76ers game the year they get a franchise player.

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM

I actually think that all 5 teams could possibly make the playoffs (Boston/NYK/BYK are basically locks, and Philly/Toronto could probably handle most of the other teams in the other east divisions.

Easily the toughest division in the East, and possibly the second toughest in the league to the Southwest Division.

I would say just give it a couple years, when JV/Ross/Derozan peak, but by then, the others might fall off a lil bit lol

Okay I'll give you Boston, but what gives the NYK and BYK "lock status".........

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM

I think Toronto needs year for their young players to mature and for this new squad to build chemistry between two rookies in Jonas and Ross and the positional shakeups/sorting out. Still, there's definitely legit talent on that team, they can possibly be a playoff team next year.

Rockice_8
08-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Bogut is always hurt and Cousins would be the 4th best center in the Atlantic.

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
There's a good chance the division gets 4 of the 8 playoffs spots, with an outside chance at 5. All 5 teams will be competitive and with how weak the bottom of the East usually is record wise, you cannot discount Toronto. Should be a fun year and it could be one of the more talented divisions top to bottom in the NBA.

The bottom two teams, which to me right now are Atlanta and Chicago with Philly getting Bynum, are a bit shaky. I don't think Toronto is ready, but I do consider them one of those bubble teams who can possibly grab the 7th/8th spot over those two, although more likely a Bulls team missing Rose for so long.

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
both pacific and atlantic divisions will be fun to watch

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Okay I'll give you Boston, but what gives the NYK and BYK "lock status".........

For the playoffs? I think all but Toronto are a lock, I'd be very surprised if any of those four didn't make it. The Nets have the big hurdle to make in the W/L column, but between an improved Deron Williams (no way he plays that bad/unmotivated again), Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace for the whole year, a healthy Brook Lopez instead of a 5 game Lopez and some solid additions to their bench that should be more than enough to get them in.

Only question is where? I had them over Philly, but after the Bynum trade I'm not sure. Losing Iggy will hurt, but the team plays very good team defense, and a 7-footer protecting the rim is more valuable than a perimeter defender, as awesome as Iggy is on that end. Then on offense, whoosh, what an improvement for them. Great trade.

dtmagnet
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Potential for all 5 teams to make the playoffs in that division.

Punk
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Lol Is this a serious post?

Brooklyn assembled the best backcourt in the NBA. Lopez and Humphries is a solid frontcourt with Wallace at SF.

The knicks underachived with multiple problems and still were a playoff team, they upgraded their roster with defensive players and rebounders on what was already a Top 5 defensive season. They're one of the deepest teams now.

But none of them are a lock in a weak eastern conference, right? Lol

ChicagoFan4Eva
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
They haven't even played a game yet... it maybe the best on paper but lets see how it meshes on the court.. Brooklyn will make it but it's no "lock"

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Look ppl bash NYK on elite status and contenders and what not but one thing the knicks are is a LOCK for the playoffs!

We made the playoffs for the past 2 seasons already and we were a mess in both of those seasons.

Stop hating on the knicks dude.

Cal827
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I think Boston wins the division at 2 or 3 (Miami and Indiana also up there)

NYK and Brooklyn finish 4th and 5th respectively
Philly at 6th or 7th (Chicago gets the other spot, assuming that Rose takes a while or the whole year to recover)

Toronto fights with Milwaukee, Cleveland and Washington for that 8th spot... but probably ends up like 9th or 10th this season.

Vampirate
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
4 of the 5 teams in the atlantic were in the top half in terms of team defence last year, I don't expect that to change.

The Atlantic has 2 top 5 pgs in D Will and Rondo.

The Atlantic has 2 top 5 Centres in Chandler and Andrew (with Jonas potential to be a top 5 centre).

Rockice_8
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
4 of the 5 teams in the atlantic were in the top half in terms of team defence last year, i don't expect that to change.

The atlantic has 2 top 5 pgs in d will and rondo.

The atlantic has 2 top 5 centres in chandler and andrew (with lopez potential to be a top 5 centre).

fify

Cal827
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Here's one: How many wins do you think it'll take to win this division. I'll say like 52.

yaswaggin
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Look ppl bash NYK on elite status and contenders and what not but one thing the knicks are is a LOCK for the playoffs!

We made the playoffs for the past 2 seasons already and we were a mess in both of those seasons.

Stop hating on the knicks dude.

agreed.

Bos and NY are locks, but what makes the nets locks over the sixers as the original poster of this argument stated?

sixers, like the knicks also have made the playoffs the past two years, have won only 1 playoff series, but they did play the heat, bulls, and celtics all very tough. plus possibly the biggest addition of the bynum trade is like someone stated earlier in this thread, the flow of the half-court offense will become MUCH better. Bynum will do wonders in opening driving lanes for jrue and turner.

imo right now its:

1. Boston
2. Knicks/Sixers
3. Knicks/Sixers
4. Nets
5. Raptors

Boston, Knicks, and sixers will all fight for top 4 seeds with CHI weaked without rose, with 2 of them making it and the other getting the 5th. I see Bos, NY, and PHI as locks ATM.

Nets aren't locks until they prove they can start winning, they have the pieces but the chemistry has to be there. If it develops, they should make the playoffs as a 6-7 seed.

right now i see the east as:

1. Miami
2. Indiana
3. Boston
4. Philly or NY
5. Philly or NY
6. Rose-less Chicago
7. New Jersey
8. Hawks favorite for 8th, but Bucks may get it too

The future of the ECF will be Miami, Chicago, Philly, Indiana, and possibly Boston after their superb draft.

NY's in win now mode, with Melo, Amare, and Chandler.

NJ is stuck with Lopez, Deron, and JJ with max contracts, this could severely hamper their future especially if Lopez does not improve his rebounding and defense.

Hawks almost went on a firesale, but added lou to remain mediocre, worst place to be. they should just start over and rebuild.

Bucks are led by two chuckers at PG and SG. I love Ellis, but Jennings just had his 1st season shooting over 40%, barely. also they are pretty mediocre at C and PF

The Raptors are still 2 years away from possibly being playoff contenders, maybe 1 if all their young players develop nicely.

xxplayerxx23
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Should be fun, I have all 5 teams in the playoffs. Should be a fun year.

Faberg
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
There has never been a year since the 2004-05 division realignment that all 5 teams in one division made the playoffs. It didn't happen a few years ago when the Southwest was ultra competitive. Don't expect that to happen now with the Atlantic.

Cal827
08-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think a lot of people are brushing off Philly b/c they have lost a ton of defense. Brand and Iggy were two of the best players in the league at their position when it comes to defending. Yes they got Bynum in return, but the loss of a perimeter defender means that more of the wing players will cut through to the rim, which means that Bynum could foul out quite a bit.

I would be surprised if they missed the playoffs, but not compared to the others. They are Indiana of the past IMO. Young and looking to build up. Hopefully for them, Bynum resigns and remains healthy.

xxplayerxx23
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Well the top 4 are locks if they stay healthy. I believe toronto will surprise people and get the 8 seed.

dalton749
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Feel free to facepalm me if I'm wrong but I see toronto having equal chance as philly of making playoffs. The east was very weak last year and they barely held onto their hot start. Last year's philly team wouldn't make it this year and I don't think they have gotten much better. They lost 3 important pieces in lou iggy and brand and replaced it with bynum and young. I think bynum needs some time to adjust to having no other big offensive threats around him before he can be effective.

It's very possible that toronto could have competed for 8th seed last year with a healthy bargnani with what appeared to be a terrible team. Expect them to be a top 10 defense next year with a much improved offense and great depth.

Lowry/ calderon/ lucas
Derozan/ ross
Fields/ kleiza/ anderson
Bargnani/ davis
Johnson/ valanciunas/ grey

There is a ton on versatility there and they can play 14 men deep. It should make for a ton of interior competition with a lot of young guys who have something to prove.
I think Dwayne Casey will get everything out of them with a full training camp and exceed expectations

Sixerlover
08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I think a lot of people are brushing off Philly b/c they have lost a ton of defense. Brand and Iggy were two of the best players in the league at their position when it comes to defending. Yes they got Bynum in return, but the loss of a perimeter defender means that more of the wing players will cut through to the rim, which means that Bynum could foul out quite a bit.

I would be surprised if they missed the playoffs, but not compared to the others. They are Indiana of the past IMO. Young and looking to build up. Hopefully for them, Bynum resigns and remains healthy.

We lost Dre who was a stellar defender, but it isn't like Turner is Kyle Korver or anything. With losing Iguodala I feel that we went from a 10 / 10 primary perimeter defender to about a 7.5 / 10 in Turner. But in the post, we went from a 3 / 10 post defender in Hawes to a 9 / 10 in Bynum. Overall we improved because of that. And Doug and coach Curry are still great defensive minds. They'll draw up plenty of defensive schemes.

Hell last year we had Lou Will, Spencer Hawes and Jodie Meeks playing big minutes and were still a top 3 defensive team :laugh2:

Sixerlover
08-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Feel free to facepalm me if I'm wrong but I see toronto having equal chance as philly of making playoffs. The east was very weak last year and they barely held onto their hot start. Last year's philly team wouldn't make it this year and I don't think they have gotten much better. They lost 3 important pieces in lou iggy and brand and replaced it with bynum and young. I think bynum needs some time to adjust to having no other big offensive threats around him before he can be effective.

It's very possible that toronto could have competed for 8th seed last year with a healthy bargnani with what appeared to be a terrible team. Expect them to be a top 10 defense next year with a much improved offense and great depth.

Lowry/ calderon/ lucas
Derozan/ ross
Fields/ kleiza/ anderson
Bargnani/ davis
Johnson/ valanciunas/ grey

There is a ton on versatility there and they can play 14 men deep. It should make for a ton of interior competition with a lot of young guys who have something to prove.
I think Dwayne Casey will get everything out of them with a full training camp and exceed expectations
* Bynum, Nick Young, Jason Richardson, and Dorell Wright

Cal827
08-10-2012, 08:13 PM
We lost Dre who was a stellar defender, but it isn't like Turner is Kyle Korver or anything. With losing Iguodala I feel that we went from a 10 / 10 primary perimeter defender to about a 7.5 / 10 in Turner. But in the post, we went from a 3 / 10 post defender in Hawes to a 9 / 10 in Bynum. Overall we improved because of that. And Doug and coach Curry are still great defensive minds. They'll draw up plenty of defensive schemes.

Hell last year we had Lou Will, Spencer Hawes and Jodie Meeks playing big minutes and were still a top 3 defensive team :laugh2:

Fair enough, obviously, I don't know as much about the Sixers lol.

What's your starting 5

Holiday
Turner
Richardson
???
Bynum

?

North Yorker
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Wouldnt Hawes be starting at the 4 still? And wasnt Brand already one of in not the best post defender statistically last year?

Sixerlover
08-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Wouldnt Hawes be starting at the 4 still? And wasnt Brand already one of in not the best post defender statistically last year?

Hawes is still starting at the 4, but this year his role will be much smaller IMO. Lavoy Allen and Thad Young will probably see the most time at that spot. And yeah Elton did have a really good defensive season last year statistically, but a lot of that was because of the team's defensive effort, and DRTG is really a team rating disguised as an individual rating.

Elton is a good defender, but Bynum protects the rim better. And Lavoy will be able to hold down the 4 slot once he finally begins to start games.

dalton749
08-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes lavoy Allen should be great against garnett amare bargnani humphries

ACanadian
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
As a Toronto fan I now believe we are lottery bound with this division, welcome to limbo folks!