PDA

View Full Version : Compare The Packages Sent Out For CP3, Melo and Howard

Clippersfan86
08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
In recent trades for top 10 players let's compare.

CP3: Eric Gordon, Al Farouq Aminu, Chris Kaman and Minny 2012 draft pick which ended up being 10th in an extremely deep draft.

Melo: Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton (coming off a great season), Timofey Mozgov, Knicks 1st rounder of 2014, two secound round picks from Warrior. Nuggets also gave up another good player in Billups.

Howard: Aaron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Moe Harkless, 3 first rounders from all teams involved (will be in the 20's) and a 2nd rounder from the Nuggets.

To give you an idea of value CP3 and Dwight are both top 5 players and Melo is in the 9-12 range. Which deal seems out of place?

D12 fan
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Is this a trick question?

Clearly the Magic got raped and NO/Den got value back for their superstars.

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
One thing that sticks out is NY got raped hard, maybe harder than orlando

nyyfan4life
08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Also, I don't think the Magic get any of those 1st rounders in the '13 draft and are all lottery protected.

Avenged
08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't think New York got raped but they certainly gave away too much - players they didn't have to give away to land Melo.

Da Knicks
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM

But at the time why would denver want the knicks trash, remember that?:facepalm: psd is such a joke

KCMAJ
08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Orlando team president and manager are the worst idiots in the NBA.

allSUAVE
Wow Magics got raped in the ******* with a penis size as mines smh

xnick5757
NY got raped the hardest they had all the leverage because Melo would only sign with them and they could have just signed him in the off season.

Magic deal is pretty bad too

LongIslandIcedZ
08-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Thats not true at all, but I wouldnt expect any different coming from you.

I think Orlando also got Vucecic, or something like that. I'm usually a pretty optimistic so I'm trying to put a positive spin on this move for Orlando and I cant.

It was reported that there is more to the deal than we have been lead to believe, Orlando also gets two second rounders, I dont know how much else their getting.

They clearly didnt trust Lopez to play up to his contract, and thats a lot of money to have on your books if you dont think he'll be healthy. The Rockets deal was awesome, if it was truly on the table (which I'm just not sure about) it should have been taken. They would have gotten cap space, young players draft picks, and still would have sucked enough to get Mohammed or Noel.

This was just a straight rebuilding move, Harkless will be a good NBA player eventually. There also primed for a top 3 pick for the next couple of years. Magic fans will have to put up with sucking for a while.

meloman1592
08-10-2012, 10:40 AM

only u believe this

NYflightboy
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Yes! We win again!! Oh wait... getting raped is a bad thing? I really need to write a letter to my head CO!

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Knicks got the 2 best players in the trade though. Everyone (including us) slept on Billups.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Man Ive been away and the trade finally gos down, man Orlando got raped hard

nothappyinut
08-10-2012, 10:45 AM
The team that got the best trade for their superstar was the jazz. Basically got favors who will be a superstar/stud, kanter, devin Harris and still have a top 6 protected golden state warrior 1st round pick next year all for deron Williams. While avoiding any headache or media circus

Knicks21
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
NY got raped the hardest they had all the leverage because Melo would only sign with them and they could have just signed him in the off season.

The lockout was the biggest concern, its all on chance, and there was a chance that Melo would somehow not be able to sign with us for some strange reason.

NYflightboy
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Not exactly. Melo ****d our leverage up when he said he might be willing to sign an extension with the Nets. So Dolan got desperate. I really don't think it's that bad of a rape though. More statutory than sodomy.

Da Knicks
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=THE MTL;23281094]Knicks got the 2 best players in the trade though. Everyone (including us) slept on Billups.

we got rid of so much cap with all the players gone that Chanlder became an option. Also getting Smith offset getting rid of Wilson Chandler, and now with Felton back knicks did pretty well.

blob50192
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
The Magic made the worst deal ever

Ezio
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
The trade isn't even done yet... basketball reason.

NYflightboy
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=THE MTL;23281094]Knicks got the 2 best players in the trade though. Everyone (including us) slept on Billups.

we got rid of so much cap with all the players gone that Chanlder became an option. Also getting Smith offset getting rid of Wilson Chandler, and now with Felton back knicks did pretty well.

I agree that without that trade we don't have a chance at getting Chandler because he amnestied Billups to do it. But JR in no ways offsets losing Wilson. I'd much rather have Wil on the squad.

Knicks21
08-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Imo Wilson is better than Smith.

BigBlueCrew
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
But at the time why would denver want the knicks trash, remember that?:facepalm: psd is such a joke

I remember this. It is such BS. hehe

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Da Knicks;23281145]

Imo Wilson is better than Smith.

yea

rsweene
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Still bitter? Its ok I would be too, but own it dont trash talk PSD on PSD

macc
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone who says the Magic got raped are extrememly short sited and I'm glad you're not running a franchise. Answere this question, if you're the Magic, why would you want to get marginal talent back for Howard, just to be a mediocre team and stuck as a fringe playoff to a 6-8th seed for years to come? It just makes no sense.

What the Magic did was go into rebuild mode. They shed the salaries of Duhon, J Rich and ofcourse Howard. The only bad contract on their rost now is Hedo who is partially guarenteed next year. Nelson got extended but it's not a terrible contract.

They got Moe Harkless who has high potential as well as first round pics. In the 2014 draft the Magic are going to have appx 20 million in cap space. They are now set for the future.

Since they didn't get any huge name, next year they are going to be bad and come 2013 they'll have a top 5 draft pic (more then likely). So by 2014 you have a couple first round pics who have a couple years under their belt in Harkless and Nicholson, a top 5 pic in the draft as well as 20 million in cap going into one of the biggest free agency periods I've ever seen in 2014.

So please somone explain to me why that was a bad trade for them......why would you want a max contract Lopez, an aging Gasol and other marginal all stars who are going to make you a mediocre team. Bottom line is you have to be bad before you can be good (see OKC).

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Magic's FO is a joke

airronijordan
08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Utah and Denver got the best packages for Deron and Melo

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyone who says the Magic got raped are extrememly short sited and I'm glad you're not running a franchise. Answere this question, if you're the Magic, why would you want to get marginal talent back for Howard, just to be a mediocre team and stuck as a fringe playoff to a 6-8th seed for years to come? It just makes no sense.

What the Magic did was go into rebuild mode. They shed the salaries of Duhon, J Rich and ofcourse Howard. The only bad contract on their rost now is Hedo who is partially guarenteed next year. Nelson got extended but it's not a terrible contract.

They got Moe Harkless who has high potential as well as first round pics. In the 2014 draft the Magic are going to have appx 20 million in cap space. They are now set for the future.

Since they didn't get any huge name, next year they are going to be bad and come 2013 they'll have a top 5 draft pic (more then likely). So by 2014 you have a couple first round pics who have a couple years under their belt in Harkless and Nicholson, a top 5 pic in the draft as well as 20 million in cap going into one of the biggest free agency periods I've ever seen in 2014.

So please somone explain to me why that was a bad trade for them......why would you want a max contract Lopez, an aging Gasol and other marginal all stars who are going to make you a mediocre team. Bottom line is you have to be bad before you can be good (see OKC).

magic could have shed contracts and got great lotto picks from houston.

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM

NY gave up the farm for a Melo like he was LeBron or somethin

BigBlueCrew
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM

what farm??? danilo and chandler. is this a joke?

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Ofcourse the Lakers got who they wanted but it's a great day to be Nuggets or Sixers fan. Nice offseason for someone they were gonna lose or lookin to upgrade. Afflalo/Harrington for Iggy and Iggy/ Moe Harkless for Bynum with protected picks?? :speechless:

I don't know what it's like to root for a team with awesome GM's. I was blessed with Layden, Isaiah and an iffy Donnie Walsh and Grunwald (we'll see)

nycericanguy
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM

:confused:

I thought they gave up more than they had to, but its not like they gave DEN 3 all stars.

Chandler just had a 5th surgery and has fallen off the map.

Gallo is good but he's shot 41% since going to DEN and is also looking injury prone, not to mention Gallo & Chandler combine to make $18m now. I'd rather spend that $18m on Melo.

And Mozzy is a good backup center.

They got Felton back for almost nothing, and the 2014 pick figures to be a late 1st.

I think the perception is DEN got an amazing deal because DEN was already a 50 win team. So they didn't really miss a step, especially with the emergence of Lawson after Billups was let go.

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
what farm??? danilo and chandler. is this a joke?

Young talent with picks for an offensive star with questionable motor. While real superstars like CP3 and Dwight got equal compensation or less (Dwight's case)

The Best Around
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Denver got the most followed by LAC and then Orlando. New Orleans rebounded TREMENDOUSLY and have a great lineup.

nothappyinut
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Denver got the most followed by LAC and then Orlando. New Orleans rebounded TREMENDOUSLY and have a great lineup.

Jazz got the most!!

Ill21
08-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Orlando literally got nothing for Dwight(a top 3 player), a bunch of role players. Denver got a bunch of role players as well. Gallo has not taken his game to the next level yet, chandler is a good player, mozgov is a back up center and Felton is back with the Knicks. Knicks ended up much better after the trade,morlando didn't.

Melo>gallo and chandler
Tyson>>>>>>>Mozgov
Plus we now have Felton back.

BigBlueCrew
08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Young talent with picks for an offensive star with questionable motor. While real superstars like CP3 and Dwight got equal compensation or less (Dwight's case)

What did that young talent get you (record wise)? and dont you dare say 'well give it time' cuz that is BS. If you like so much go watch the Nuggets play. I dont know where they will end up in the West, but I figure it wont be far. If you dont like Melo and his work ethic dont watch.

Cal827
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I think non-Knick fans are referring to that you guys basically coulda signed Melo outright in the offseason (he made it clear that he was only gonna extend in NY) and used those same players to go grab CP3 too. Just calm down guys lol

But Yeah, Orlando got the worst here. They had much better deals with tons of prospects/unprotected pics and they took this one. Lopez/Brooks + 4 unprotected firsts, or Patterson/Lamb/Other prospect/Our lottery first (Toronto)/Houston's unprotected firsts would have definitely helped a rebuild much quicker than Harkless and 3 picks in the 20s of what's likely to be a weak draft.

On a side note, since Clipperfan made this thread, I've got a question. Knowing that the Hornets were giving up a PG, howdid you guys hold on to Eric Bledsole? Before the deal, I thought the package would have both Bledsole/Gordon as well as Minny's pick.

Ill21
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I think non-Knick fans are referring to that you guys basically coulda signed Melo outright in the offseason (he made it clear that he was only gonna extend in NY) and used those same players to go grab CP3 too. Just calm down guys lol

But Yeah, Orlando got the worst here. They had much better deals with tons of prospects/unprotected pics and they took this one. Lopez/Brooks + 4 unprotected firsts, or Patterson/Lamb/Other prospect/Our lottery first (Toronto)/Houston's unprotected firsts would have definitely helped a rebuild much quicker than Harkless and 3 picks in the 20s of what's likely to be a weak draft.

On a side note, since Clipperfan made this thread, I've got a question. Knowing that the Hornets were giving up a PG, howdid you guys hold on to Eric Bledsole? Before the deal, I thought the package would have both Bledsole/Gordon as well as Minny's pick.

No, if the Knicks didn't trade for melo he would have went to the nets because he wanted that contract extension

macc
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
magic could have shed contracts and got great lotto picks from houston.

Show me where this could of happened? There was a "rumor" that went around that had the Magic rapping the Rockets in a deal, 2 days later another report comes out saying Houston was only willing to deal 1-2 of their rooks as well as an expiring in K mart. I spoke to some Rocket fans and they said ultimately the trade scenario with them would only send us 1 of their rookies, Kmarts expiring and they were willing to take on some bad contracts. That's nothing special.

Ultimatley none of it means anything because it was all "rumored." You can't base an actual trade off of rumors from unamed sources.

justinnum1
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Show me where this could of happened? There was a "rumor" that went around that had the Magic rapping the Rockets in a deal, 2 days later another report comes out saying Houston was only willing to deal 1-2 of their rooks as well as an expiring in K mart. I spoke to some Rocket fans and they said ultimately the trade scenario with them would only send us 1 of their rookies, Kmarts expiring and they were willing to take on some bad contracts. That's nothing special.

Ultimatley none of it means anything because it was all "rumored." You can't base an actual trade off of rumors from unamed sources.

hollinger
Based on what I've been told Houston pretty clearly had a better offer -- including a guaranteed lotto pick. Frustrating day for Rox.

woj
HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would've taken bad deals (cont.)

(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.

stoopboy45
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Is this a trick question?

Clearly the Magic got raped and NO/Den got value back for their superstars.

There is no way to compare Magic's deal to the other 2 for one simple reason......Howard is NOT signing an extention with the Lakers!!!!! CP3 and Melo both signed extentions as part of the deal thereby increasing what they got in return. The Magic made out pretty well considering. No team is going to give a ton on a player, no matter how good he is, who will not sign an extention, and has stated his desire to play somewhere else. Both the Lakers and Sixers are taking risks here as BOTH Howard and Bynum can walk after this season and both intend to test the market!!!

macc
08-10-2012, 12:07 PM
hollinger

woj

Once again, "sources" and "rumors" mean nothing compared to an actual deal. K???? K.......Besides Orlando was high on Moe Harkless pre draft and now they got their guy.

Orlando got rid of J Rich's contract and Duhons contract. Hedo is only partially guarenteed after this year. Their longest contract is Jameers and it's a 3 year deal. In 2014 they'll be appx 20 mil under the cap. They did just fine. In all reality if the Houston deal was better then it wasn't by much.

Orlando hit the reset button, which is what you should do when rebuilding. People talk about the NJ deal. Yes you get picks and Brooks, but then you have Lopez who is on a max contract. Why would a rebuilding team want to be paying a Brook Lopez max money?

I'm just fine with Orlandos trade. Today it looks bad, 2 years from now it will look genius.

On top of that Orlando shed salary, got draft pics and did all of this while trading a guy who said he's going to explore free agenty a year from now.

stoopboy45
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM

That was NOT the case as Melo has even said in interviews that if the Knicks didn't trade for him he was going to approve a deal to the Nets AND SIGN THE EXTENTION WITH THEM. The Knicks knew if they didn't do the deal he was going to Nets for 5 yrs.

The Best Around
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Jazz got the most!!

They did. Forgot about them.

Jagged QT
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
OP tried hard to make it seem that the NY deal was the worst, and still failed.

In every trade, each team got exactly what they were looking for.

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
What did that young talent get you (record wise)? and dont you dare say 'well give it time' cuz that is BS. If you like so much go watch the Nuggets play. I dont know where they will end up in the West, but I figure it wont be far. If you dont like Melo and his work ethic dont watch.

And we ended up with watching 42-40 team getting swept in playoffs and ended up using our Amare amnesty chance for Billups' services for 3 weeks. I've been watching the Knicks through laughable years so why would I stop now :confused: We overpaid for a dude who wasn't dedicated unless he felt like it. That's the only thing I don't like about him. And now we represent the AARP. As long as the Knicks stay healthy :pray: especially during the home stretch and playoffs, yes then it would be a success in replacing Wilson, Gallinari, Mozzy and picks. I like the current team and I'm actually excited behind the new philosophy (Lakers) **** draft picks lets go after FA's lol. Just saying we overpaid, I didn't say the Knicks are wack did I?

No, if the Knicks didn't trade for melo he would have went to the nets because he wanted that contract extension

And would that have been as terrible as losing out on LeBron?

da ThRONe
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
The team that got the best trade for their superstar was the jazz. Basically got favors who will be a superstar/stud, kanter, devin Harris and still have a top 6 protected golden state warrior 1st round pick next year all for deron Williams. While avoiding any headache or media circus

This.

I'd go

1. Utah

2. Denver

3. New Orleans

4. Orlando

Punk
08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Lol You love to make posts that you know your clearly wrong about right?

sharqstealth
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Fool yourself! How could Knicks got raped more than Orlando??? If you ain't gonna say something right then just STFU!

FOXHOUND
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
To be fair to Orlando, Dwight had the worst leverage because of his BS, even though he should have had the best. Combine that with Bynum most likely not resigning in that Orlando situation, and it's safe to say that they got screwed. Hard.

Vinylman
08-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Also, I don't think the Magic get any of those 1st rounders in the '13 draft and are all lottery protected.

Why would they want them next year. That draft is gonna suck

Jarvo
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Magic got butt raped

aztr0
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM

No. Melo told Jim Dolan he was going to follow the money and he'll go to the Nets to get that money. Which is why Jimmy Dolan stepped over Walsh to get the deal done.

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
GMs around the league are said to be baffled as to why the Magic would do this deal.

mgsports
08-10-2012, 01:40 PM
If know the Magic can Trade HEDO/QRICH and Glen Davis for backup PG and a Center then we can tell.

eternal slumber
08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
when i read some of the comments here, they always jump into a conclusion that the Magic was raped on this deal.

to make it clear, they weren't raped....

........THEY WERE GANGBANGED REPEATEDLY ON THIS DEAL.