PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA have the worst Competitive Balance in all of Sports?

JWO35
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
I think this is the perfect analogy for the NBA, "The rich gets richer and the poor gets pooer"...Nothing changed overnight, dating back to 1980(32yrs) only 9 teams have won the NBA Title..so this isn't a new thing, its just more in your face today IMO.

So yes, no, am I a hater :p ?

Aust
08-10-2012, 07:21 AM
NFL - Many different playoff teams and SB winners
MLB - Look what happened to the Phillies. Injuries and over and underachievers where nothing is given unless you're the Yankees
NHL - Pretty good balance, although I'm no expert(8th seed wins Stanley Cup)

I'd say yes, the NBA has the worst competitive balance out of the 4 major sports.

bholly
08-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Of the North American major leagues, probably, but it isn't close to, say, the big Euro football leagues or most international sports.

USMCLaker
08-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Loving this thread.

BSardogan
08-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Soccer is wayyyy worse than NBA basketball in that aspect.

At least in the NBA the weak have a SHOT at becoming good with draft picks and free agency. In soccer the weak lose all their talent to the bigger teams.

Ezio
08-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Blame the draft.

--23--
08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Compared to the NFL, NHL, & MLB, I would say yes. I don't know much about soccer but based on what BSardogan said the NBA comes in 2nd place as "the worst Competitive Balance" lol

NYY09
08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Yes, and its not even close. Although with all that has happened recently there is one huge factor still in play - health.

Also, will we even see an end to this "u mad" horse****...?

USMCLaker
08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Competitive balance goes to the best negotiator ever see "Barter Kings"?

Raph12
08-10-2012, 08:03 AM
The NBA has not had "competitive balance" consistently at any point in time... The only reason it is made out to be a bigger deal now is because of the media.

USMCLaker
08-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes we traded the "second" best center for the "best" center who by the way we acquired as the tenth pick in the draft when we had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown so yeah draft better and you way wear a ring.

the life
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Because the NBA is revenue driven league (unlike soccer leagues which are clubs of mad billionaires losing tones of money) some NBA owners will start losing money because nobody would want to pay to see a team that doesn’t stand a chance. The only profitable events for some owners will be the ones when Lakers or Miami visit the city.

Besides Basketball is the sport where luck influences the least on the result, so not even bad luck can make a team like Miami or Lakers lose a game. Refs, like in any other sports, favor always the greats.

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Two words.

David Stern!

kblo247
08-10-2012, 08:28 AM
It was ever built on it ... Know your history

The nba has and always will be about dynasties as the appealing aspect to go with the players and the fans literally being able to touch one another and see one another's face which is why fans basically sit on the court

Don't like it? Don't watch, but don't act like this isn't what made the league in the first place.

JWO35
08-10-2012, 08:32 AM
This isn't geared toward just the Lakers, its the league in general...teams like the Grizzlies, Pacers, Nuggets, etc. are good teams Top Teams in their conference and they literally have a 0% chance to win a championship, unless multiple injuries occur.

While in other sports you can name countless NFL Teams & MLB Teams that have a legitimate chance at winning this year, while in the NBA its about 5 at the most :shrug:

USMCLaker
08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
You can't stop the chop!!!

LongIslandIcedZ
08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Yes, without a doubt

The Jokemaker
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Oh this league definitely does but that is the way the sport gets the most popular. NBA was huge when Jordan dominated the league and that is what they are obviously trying to get back to, couple huge powerhouses loaded with stars fans want to see. NBA has been losing cash and popularity for years and this is how to rebound.

And see it's kind of brilliant in its own way. Because they build up these goliaths making it almost impossible for small market teams to compete but they have just enough talent to make it competitive. Plus it is an 82 game season so the super teams will lose at some point. The small teams are sold on one idea: hope. That's what keeps those fans sucked in. That maybe this year they'll pull the shocker and upset the super teams in the playoffs. It won't but that's how they hook ya.

This way they can maximize fans. Get a boatload of the casual fans and people who just like one of those superstars on the powerhouses will watch. Oh and the Finals good lord. Get ready for "classic" Heat vs Lakers finals. Just look at the combined rosters and see all the star power there, it is happening barring an insane injury. And people will watch in droves and the league will get richer for it.

It's a shame you can't even discuss this without people saying "oh you just mad!" I'm not mad, I don't care. I gave up on the league a while ago. To say the league has good competitive balance is a crock but thats how the league functions best.

DaddyCool
08-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Of the four major US sports, by far. But that's not really anyone's fault. Basketball is a team sport, but great players are able to transcend and take over games unlike in anything else. This leads to such the disparity and why being a playoff team with no real chance of winning a championship is the worst place to be in the NBA. Your pick won't land you a star that can take over games unless you're a lucky bastard and in the meantine you won't win anything. The very nature of the sport makes it so that you pretty much have to suck first and pick up a star that can take over games at the top of the draft before you win and contend.

lakers4sho
08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
parity is such an overblown concept, of course if you have 1 game playoff system (and an 82 game season as opposed to 14) there is a greater probability of an upset, that's statistics 101

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Man I could write an essay or even a thesis about this. which is why I only gave two words in my last post. I will expand.

But consider this. before Stern took over we had 23 teams. (1984)

That's is 15 players times 7. That's 105 players that could be spread out, and 35 starters. Now imagine 7 of those are great players, and spread them around the existing 23 teams. and spread the remaining players too.

Eliminate the players who now don't belong in the NBA. And guess what the balance is restored.

The problem is David Stern got greedy and showed outside investors how much money there is!!!!! It shifted away from the sport.

The rich owners saw the greediness work! The poor owners wanted to get their share...and failed.

And of course the rich tried to get in! of the 23 teams only 3 have the same owners since 1983. Guess who these teams are?

The remaining 20 teams ALL got sold or transferred ownership (same thing) at least twice since then. Some teams up to 10 times....

Add to that the 7 new teams that make up the remaining. And guess what all of those have been sold or transferred at least once too.

But guess who the 3 teams with the same owners are! You will be shocked when you find out the answer!

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
parity is such an overblown concept, of course if you have 1 game playoff system (and an 82 game season as opposed to 14) there is a greater probability of an upset, that's statistics 101
yeah more teams, more games more money! again same concept, extra point to prove it. thanks.

Guess who those 3 teams are? I am waiting... :D

Hawkeye15
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, absolutely.

KnicksorBust
08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
This isn't geared toward just the Lakers, its the league in general...teams like the Grizzlies, Pacers, Nuggets, etc. are good teams Top Teams in their conference and they literally have a 0% chance to win a championship, unless multiple injuries occur.

While in other sports you can name countless NFL Teams & MLB Teams that have a legitimate chance at winning this year, while in the NBA its about 5 at the most :shrug:

I don't think that's true at all. Look at OKC. You would have said the same thing about them just a few short years ago and now they're going to be in title contention every year for the foreseable future. Good drafting and trading can definately turn a team around.

effen5
08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
The NBA has gotten so bad the last decade, I'd blame the players of the 03 draft to be honest. It's really not even worth watching anymore.

You can't even root for an underdog like the Bobcats because you know they have zero chance while in the NFL a team playing horribly in the regular season (the Giants) catches fire and wins it all. The NBA is horrible right now.

IndyRealist
08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
People don't understand what competitive balance really means. It means randomness. A single elimination playoffs means that more often than not the best team won't win a championship.

Say team A is four times better than team B, which would be a massive imbalance in talent. In a 7 games series, team B advances only once in 625 tries. In a single elimination, team B still advances 20% of the time.

Single elimination = several upsets each playoffs.
7 game series = virtually no upsets each playoffs.

It's much easier to go 14-2 than it is to go 72-10.

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 10:24 AM
People don't understand what competitive balance really means. It means randomness. A single elimination playoffs means that more often than not the best team won't win a championship.

Say team A is four times better than team B, which would be a massive imbalance in talent. In a 7 games series, team B advances only once in 625 tries. In a single elimination, team B still advances 20% of the time.

Single elimination = several upsets each playoffs.
7 game series = virtually no upsets each playoffs.

It's much easier to go 14-2 than it is to go 72-10.
or 12-70....hahaha. Nets fans will love me.

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 10:24 AM
The NBA has gotten so bad the last decade, I'd blame the players of the 03 draft to be honest. It's really not even worth watching anymore.

You can't even root for an underdog like the Bobcats because you know they have zero chance while in the NFL a team playing horribly in the regular season (the Giants) catches fire and wins it all. The NBA is horrible right now.
Lol at blaming the 03 draft. I see where you are coming from. but still man. One man is behind all of this and that is Stern.

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I guess you're right

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Well I think its the MLB. The Yankees can spend over 100 million in an offseason and buy a championship.

Only thing about every other sport in the world is that "SUPERSTARS" are limited and can only do so much. In basketball, you can have a single player who takes over the entire game and wins it for you.

Cal827
08-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Worst competitive Balance... but that's mainly because of the ****** teams who sign horrible contracts and keep losing, then getting absolutely nothing back if a player wants out. Look at Orlando. After getting to the finals, they just acquired bad contracts and got themselves stuck... Even in the process of dealing Howard, they could have got a bunch of contracts off their payroll and acquired a bunch of prospects from Houston or Brooklyn, but instead they decide to absorb more contracts.

Smaller Market teams can win or be competitive (OKC, MEM, IND, even Boston to some extent) with good free agency moves and good drafts.. but unfortunately... these dumbass teams like Orlando help the major teams like LA and NYK and a few others reload when they are about to go into rebuild themselves.

Kelly Gruber
08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Well there are maybe 4 teams that even have a hope in hell of winning a championship in the NBA and we know this in August... There is most definitley a lack of competitive balance in the sport. I go to a few Raptors games and watch the first 10-12 games of the season, but that's the extent of it. No hope, why bother.

hidalgo
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
the NBA is about a legit as boxing anymore. totally corrupt

dalton749
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
small markets can build through the draft only to feed the big markets. see clevland, denver, utah, orlando, toronto and every other team whos lost their star player which they aquired through the draft

THE GIPPER
Yes. If you want parity, watch hockey.

THE MTL
Worst competitive Balance... but that's mainly because of the ****** teams who sign horrible contracts and keep losing, then getting absolutely nothing back if a player wants out. Look at Orlando. After getting to the finals, they just acquired bad contracts and got themselves stuck... Even in the process of dealing Howard, they could have got a bunch of contracts off their payroll and acquired a bunch of prospects from Houston or Brooklyn, but instead they decide to absorb more contracts.

Smaller Market teams can win or be competitive (OKC, MEM, IND, even Boston to some extent) with good free agency moves and good drafts.. but unfortunately... these dumbass teams like Orlando help the major teams like LA and NYK and a few others reload when they are about to go into rebuild themselves.

Time out. NYK hasnt truly won a trade in god knows how long.

effen5
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Lol at blaming the 03 draft. I see where you are coming from. but still man. One man is behind all of this and that is Stern.

This began with the players from that draft. Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo, then the 04 draft with Dwight. Its ****in pathetic but whatever, its how this era of basketball is.

JWO35
08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Out of the 12 members of the 2008 Team USA Basketball Team 9 are now in either LA, NY, or MIA. #NBA -- Steve Kays (@KaysNBA)
The other 3: Michael Redd, Tayshaun Prince and Carlos Boozer

Oh, and at the time those nine 2008 players played for Cleveland, Orlando, Utah, New Orleans, Dallas, Toronto, Denver, Miami and the Lakers. -- Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur)

Just crazy...

Cal827
08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Time out. NYK hasnt truly won a trade in god knows how long.

LOL, ok my bad... but you know what I mean on the other deals. LA got freaking Gasol and now Howard for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron Mckie, Andrew Bynum and Marc Gasol. It loads them up, but it's not LA's Fault that Memphis/Orlando were stupid (although Marc turned into a good player).

mike_noodles
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Bad competitive balance, yes.

This is because they let the players dictate everything about the league, until that changes, everything else will remain the same.

mike_noodles
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes. If you want parity, watch hockey.

That's not it at all. The NFL has it right.

effen5
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
The other 3: Michael Redd, Tayshaun Prince and Carlos Boozer

Just crazy...

:laugh:

NBA is just ridiculous now.

We should do that for the 92 team too.

MagicHero3
08-10-2012, 12:32 PM
considering boycotting the NBA for a hot minute. won't make a difference, but i just dont care about it anymore lol

effen5
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
considering boycotting the NBA for a hot minute. won't make a difference, but i just dont care about it anymore lol

People might enjoy super teams for a little bit but in the long run might hurt the NBA.

I know the Bulls ruled in the 90s (mostly MJ) but there were other teams that competed hard against the Bulls.

Orlando
Pacers
Knicks
Heat
Detroit
Cavs

then in the west

Lakers
Portland
Houston
Utah
Seattle

There probably 3 teams right now that even has a chance in winning a title in the next 5 years and thats horrible for the league.

Lakers
Heat
Thunder

KnicksorBust
08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
People might enjoy super teams for a little bit but in the long run might hurt the NBA.

I know the Bulls ruled in the 90s (mostly MJ) but there were other teams that competed hard against the Bulls.

Orlando
Pacers
Knicks
Heat
Detroit
Cavs

then in the west

Lakers
Portland
Houston
Utah
Seattle

There probably 3 teams right now that even has a chance in winning a title in the next 5 years and thats horrible for the league.

Lakers
Heat
Thunder

The Lakers window with Nash/Kobe is small. The Thunder aren't going to be able to afford to pay Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka so they will take a talent hit soon. The Heat should be elite for a while but Wade already looked slower last year and was banged up. I'm not ready to slap the next 5 rings on them. You never know when that next Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan, or LeBron James is about to enter the league. If Davis reaches his potential maybe we'll be talking about the Hornets soon. The Pacers have a lot of talented young pieces. The Sixers just made a big move and now have a nice trio. The Knicks have a lot of talent. Clippers have 2 of the top stars in the league. Healthy T-Wolves could surprise people with a full season together. It's still a league with a salary cap and any team that is run well enough can eventually turn it around with a little luck and some smart trading. OKC has proved this.

Lik a somboodee
08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
The NBA has no parity as all cuz Stern will not allow certain teams to make it to the Finals cuz of ratings

THE GIPPER
08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
That's not it at all. The NFL has it right.

The 8th seed winning the Stanley Cup isnt competitive balance?? I agree that the NFL has competitive balance as well but to say the NHL doesnt is ignorant.

Cubs420
08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Soccer is wayyyy worse than NBA basketball in that aspect.

At least in the NBA the weak have a SHOT at becoming good with draft picks and free agency. In soccer the weak lose all their talent to the bigger teams.

Yea this is very true...

but as far as American leagues, Yes, the NBA has the worst competitive balance by a mile...The NFL is the best, thats one of the reasons why IMO its so popular.