PDA

View Full Version : Should Daryl Morey get fired for not acquiring either Dwight or Bynum?

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
His big offseason signing last season was Sammy Dalembert, and he got rid of him for a scrub like Jon Brockman and bad knees Shaun Livingston. Amnestied Luis Scola. Traded away Kyle Lowry for a protected lotto pick. Didn't re-sign Goran Dragic and instead probably overpaid in the longterm for Jeremy Lin. Couldn't acquire Pau Gasol at the trade deadline for Lowry and Scola, and now no Dwight or Bynum to show for all this. Thoughts...

Aust
08-10-2012, 06:53 AM
It certainly isn't looking good. I'll withold my judgement until after the season

ellisgw
08-10-2012, 06:56 AM
why he is building for the future.

kblo247
08-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Would've been fired by me for that stupid azz purgatory they been in since Tmac and Yao with that 9th seed, too good to be in the lotto and too bad to be in the playoffs crap. Would have been fired his *** for that.

The only thing saving his *** is Lin will generate revenue win or lose so he made a great business decision, but his basetball **** is just that ****. Letting Dragic and Lowry go for nothing, crap. Amnesty of Scola, crap. Not turning Kevin Martins expiring into something, crap. Basically playing Asik 8mil per year when he hasnt even shown to be a 15min per night player, crap. Drafting a **** load of F's with 3 lotto picks, crap.

PINK SLIP

bholly
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
No. Remember how everyone (including me) said the Houston deal was the best thing for Orlando because it put them in a crazy good rebuilding position? Houston's in that position now. Hell, they're in a better position because they have more than they would've given Orlando and have less bad contracts.

He did exactly what a good GM should do - swing for the fences in a way that sets you up to rebuild properly if you strike out, rather than trying to do gradual improvements like most and get stuck in mediocrity. It was the perfect strategy. If he gets fired for it it's a travesty. Wouldn't surprise me, though.

Verbal Christ
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
So people here were saying that morey shouldn't trade for howard because he won't resign or bynum because of health concerns.

Lmao now its the other way around? ?? Wishy washy critics. With q few more mouseclicks you could have informed yourself (OP) and not ended up looking like a mad hater. Shows how much any of you know about upper management.

PS: if anybody should be fired its that young'n in Orlando. He tried to play hardball and got schooled. Hahahahaaa that's all they got for Howard? Hell even the nets deal was better. How funny.

ellisgw
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
So people here were saying that morey shouldn't trade for howard because he won't resign or bynum because of health concerns.

Lmao now its the other way around? ?? Wishy washy critics. With q few more mouseclicks you could have informed yourself (OP) and not ended up looking like a mad hater. Shows how much any of you know about upper management.

PS: if anybody should be fired its that young'n in Orlando. He tried to play hardball and got schooled. Hahahahaaa that's all they got for Howard? Hell even the nets deal was better. How funny.

yuppppppp

Mcdoh
08-10-2012, 07:47 AM
maybe he can turn this around like mavs did after failing to get deron... but they should have agree for the pau gasol deal...:D but anyway they should move forward now, they have good young players..

GrumpyOldMan
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I like some of the young pieces Houston is rebuilding with. They will be pretty bad for a few years, but they need to be. If all their draft choices pan out they will be good after that.

NBA-GMaster
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Yes for overpaying Asik.. :facepalm:

LongIslandIcedZ
08-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Overpaying Lin was probably a bad move, but no so bad that it outdoes the good he's done. '

They are well on their way towards rebuilding, they'll probably suck and get a top pick this year as well. Do they have Toronto's this year as well?

beasted86
08-10-2012, 08:40 AM
The Lin contract wasn't as bad as Asik.

Lin's contract isn't that bad because I expect similar production as Dragic who just signed for the same exact $8.5M a season as Lin will be getting... the difference is he will generate 10x the revenue from China for the Rockets. So if I had to choose between both players at equal pay, its easily Lin over Dragic.

Lowry wanted out, so I have no problem with the trade. There was no way he was going to continue backing up Dragic, or the newly signed Jeremy Lin... so he needed to go, period. Can't have that type of distraction in the locker room.

I think they could have explored better options than simply using the amnesty on Scola though.

Overall Morey is doing a decent job if it weren't for that soon to be albatross contract from Omer Asik.

xnick5757
08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Its not really his fault the magic took a much worse deal for Howard then he offered

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM

This. The Magic got raped after turning down one good Nets offers (in relative terms) and one awesome Houston offer (in relative terms to this garbage)

xnick5757
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
This. The Magic got raped after turning down one good Nets offers (in relative terms) and one awesome Houston offer (in relative terms to this garbage)

Lopez/humpries/brooks/#6 pick offered during the season by the nets

Rockets offer was lamb/white/Jones/picks and they would take back hedo/duhon/davis/and Richardson

But they got afflato Harrington and 3 lottery protected picks

Huh

nate2usmc
08-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Rockets offer was lamb/white/Jones/picks and they would take back hedo/duhon/davis/and Richardson

Huh

Something the Knicks would do :clap:

BigBlueCrew
08-10-2012, 09:13 AM
No way he got Linsanity!!!

haha

BK-TY
08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Bynum can still be acquired. No guarantee he stays in Philly.

IndyRealist
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
No, but he would have been fired if he acquired Bynum or Howard and didn't resign them.

He got a cheaper, more flexible roster and a bunch of good rookies. Will they make the playoffs this year? Unlikely. Will they make the playoffs in 3 years? Probably. And they will be perpetual players in free agency. Whereas other teams have tied up all their money.

sharqstealth
08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Morey=Moron

nyyfan4life
08-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The pick they got for Lowry is lottery protected on both sides. People tend to miss that small detail. Its a very valuable pick, IMO.

They might have over-paid for Lin and Asik but we don't know that unless both we get to see how well they play once they get onto the court.

They have tons of young talent on the roster. They have tons of draft picks over the next few years. They are rebuilding properly. In the mean time, Lin gets them some national attention and generates revenue for them while they rebuild.

They still have Kevin Martin on the team who is a huge expiring contract. He can be moved at the deadline for possibly another 1st round if they wish. It depends on how well he plays though because if he plays like he did before last season some team (especially a contending team in need of scoring) will give up something decent for him.

They have a lot of non-guaranteed contracts on their roster and should have plenty of cap space to pursue some FA's next season.

IndyRealist
08-10-2012, 09:26 AM

Huh

Even if they turned around and traded Lopez to someone else for a pick, that would have been a better deal.

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
All the Morey critics don't know what the hell they're talking about. As one poster already said, the same people ripping on him for wanting to rent Dwight for a year are the same people who will not rip him for not getting Dwight. They're idiots.

Look at this way.... Houston has the following young players locked in for multiple seasons: Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, Jeremy Lamb, Donatas Motiejunas, Terrence Jones, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris and Royce White. They also have as many as three picks in next year's draft, with two of them likely being lottery picks. AND one Martin's $13 million comes off the book next season, Houston will only have $23 million committed to the young players next offseason.

So, somebody needs to explain to me... What was the smart move in his situation? Stick with a roster that has been good enough to get 9th place in three consecutive seasons in the Western Conference, deal for a player who already stated he did not want to come to Houston and would drain all of the team's assets or go with the young guys on the roster and build for the future? Of the three options, it certainly seems to me like he made the right decision...

AddiX
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm not a huge fan of what the rockets did, but even I'll admit it was time for change. They couldn't stand still and do nothing, they had to make moves and go after it. They did that, and they still have a decent plan b.

My problem w it, is it still seems there is no real direction, just kind of making moves to make moves.

Htownballa1622
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Morey is giving the Rockets a chance to be flexible. Now we can properly rebuild.

I hope he doesn't get fired. Y'all are misinformed.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
LOL you dont get fired for having a better offer but having it turned down. Lots of ignorance in this thread.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Would've been fired by me for that stupid azz purgatory they been in since Tmac and Yao with that 9th seed, too good to be in the lotto and too bad to be in the playoffs crap. Would have been fired his *** for that.

The only thing saving his *** is Lin will generate revenue win or lose so he made a great business decision, but his basetball **** is just that ****. Letting Dragic and Lowry go for nothing, crap. Amnesty of Scola, crap. Not turning Kevin Martins expiring into something, crap. Basically playing Asik 8mil per year when he hasnt even shown to be a 15min per night player, crap. Drafting a **** load of F's with 3 lotto picks, crap.

PINK SLIP
LOL you dont get fired for doing what your owner wants. Lowry didnt go for nothing, Dragic was but lets not forget that he essentially got both those players for nothing in the first place and was able to get a first rounder when he stole Dragic in the first place. Kevin Martin is expiring this year and still has some value so we will see what he does. And if Asik had shown to be a heavy minutes player he wouldnt have only been worth 8Million so that reasoning is stupid. And having 3 lotto picks is pretty smart, we'll see how they do but Im not interested in opinions that ignore how easily he got those assets in the first place.

Scola being amnestied is prolly a mistake. We'll see how his replacement does but if hes trying to tank it was a move that had to be done. If hes trying to build a stronger core for the future it had to be done. The only reason you keep Scola is to go all out for the playoffs and try to develop the youngsters with scarce playing time, I dont like that idea at all so his loss could still net the team some benefits, particularly with their glut of F's.

Overall its easy to bash a GM when you ignore his good moves, motives and incentive. Its not like he can force Orlando to accept a deal even if it is a better one.

Htownballa1622
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
LOL you dont get fired for doing what your owner wants. Lowry didnt go for nothing, Dragic was but lets not forget that he essentially got both those players for nothing in the first place and was able to get a first rounder when he stole Dragic in the first place. Kevin Martin is expiring this year and still has some value so we will see what he does. And if Asik had shown to be a heavy minutes player he wouldnt have only been worth 8Million so that reasoning is stupid. And having 3 lotto picks is pretty smart, we'll see how they do but Im not interested in opinions that ignore how easily he got those assets in the first place.

Scola being amnestied is prolly a mistake. We'll see how his replacement does but if hes trying to tank it was a move that had to be done. If hes trying to build a stronger core for the future it had to be done. The only reason you keep Scola is to go all out for the playoffs and try to develop the youngsters with scarce playing time, I dont like that idea at all so his loss could still net the team some benefits, particularly with their glut of F's.

Overall its easy to bash a GM when you ignore his good moves, motives and incentive. Its not like he can force Orlando to accept a deal even if it is a better one.

You make too much sense to those that are ignorant. But well said.

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 11:16 AM
His big offseason signing last season was Sammy Dalembert, and he got rid of him for a scrub like Jon Brockman and bad knees Shaun Livingston. Amnestied Luis Scola. Traded away Kyle Lowry for a protected lotto pick. Didn't re-sign Goran Dragic and instead probably overpaid in the longterm for Jeremy Lin. Couldn't acquire Pau Gasol at the trade deadline for Lowry and Scola, and now no Dwight or Bynum to show for all this. Thoughts...

wrong things on your post: We traded Dalembert to move up in the draft and get Lamb. The pick we got from the Lowry trade is not lotto protected.

But to answer your question, no, I think he shoudn't, he tried and I'm actually happy with what he have done this year. We have a lot of young players, a potential all-star in Lin, finally a long-term good defensive center, a lot of cap space and two likely high draft picks.

Odominator
08-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Lin's contract isn't that bad because I expect similar production as Dragic who just signed for the same exact $8.5M a season as Lin will be getting... the difference is he will generate 10x the revenue from China for the Rockets. So if I had to choose between both players at equal pay, its easily Lin over Dragic.

Lowry wanted out, so I have no problem with the trade. There was no way he was going to continue backing up Dragic, or the newly signed Jeremy Lin... so he needed to go, period. Can't have that type of distraction in the locker room.

I think they could have explored better options than simply using the amnesty on Scola though.

Overall Morey is doing a decent job if it weren't for that soon to be albatross contract from Omer Asik.

China is not the only market Lin draws money from. He is a phenom in the states, especially within the Bay Area and the Asian communities. I mean, lets not get Lin confused with Yao, Lin is Asian-American, not a Chinese national.

PocketKings
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
OP = worst.thread.maker.

KNICKS R BACK
08-10-2012, 11:36 AM
why he is building for the future.

Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik...that's some future hes building towards :facepalm:

nyyfan4life
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik...that's some future hes building towards :facepalm:

What? They have tons of young talent, multiple picks (lottery picks likely) in the near future and tons of cap space following this year. How is that not the right way to rebuild?

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I would say they would be in great rebuilding position, but none of their young guys have any real allstar potential. Plus, they are extremely crowded in the front court leaving little time for each of those young players to develop.

Morey has proven himself in the past therefore shouldnt be fired, but he really F--- up this season.

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I would say they would be in great rebuilding position, but none of their young guys have any real allstar potential. Plus, they are extremely crowded in the front court leaving little time for each of those young players to develop.

Morey has proven himself in the past therefore shouldnt be fired, but he really F--- up this season.

:facepalm: what about Lin, Motiejunas and Lamb? you're saying those guys don't have any all-star potential?

daboywonder2002
08-10-2012, 11:51 AM
not at all. i think lamb is gonna be a beast. the key is to develop these young players they have. then you wait and if you see a major player you wanna trade for. you go for it.

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
:facepalm: what about Lin, Motiejunas and Lamb? you're saying those guys don't have any all-star potential?

Correction. I meant to say superstar potential.

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Correction. I meant to say superstar potential.

even though, I think it's too early to say, I really liked Lamb from what I saw from him, who knows

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I would say they would be in great rebuilding position, but none of their young guys have any real allstar potential.
It's way too early to tell that. Lamb, Jones and Motiejunas all provide skill sets that could allow them to be successful in the NBA. And if Lin can be 75 percent of what he was starting in New York last season, he has All-Star written all over him. I also wouldn't sleep on Parsons. He has potential to be an efficient 15/5 guy and one of the best defensive wings in the league. I see him as a playmaking Luol Deng.

Plus, they are extremely crowded in the front court leaving little time for each of those young players to develop.
I think this point has been overplayed. From SF to C, they have Morris, Parsons, Forbes, Patterson, Jones, White, Motiejunas, Harrelson and Asik. I have no faith in Morris or Harrelson whatsoever at this point and I wouldn't be surprised is Forbes is just on the team for depth purposes. Patterson and Motiejunas should both see some minutes at center this season while Jones has the length and versatility to play some at the 3-5 spots. Those guys will get minutes and the players who earn the starting spots will have to prove themselves.

How? He dealt a player who didn't want to be here (Lowry), lost a PG who was unrestricted (Dragic) and then replaced them both with a younger player with a higher ceiling (Lin). He amnestied a very good, but very poor defensive big man (Scola) who was only going to keep this team in NBA purgatory. And he acquired a bevy of young players through the draft and free agency to build a young core around. Compared to where this team was last season, they're a step back from making the playoffs but 10 steps forward in terms of the future of the franchise.

TEXASTITAN
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Pretty easy and (cowardly) to talk ***** about Houston since LA steals yet another superstar in a rigged league. Bottom line is you can't make teams trade with you and Houston's offer to the Magic was far better than they got and than was offered. These (super) teams in a league that was already facing contraction will ultimately be the undoing of the NBA because theres no competitive balance anymore and these stars grouping up on a few teams are only good for those teams not the NBA. Won't be long before there's 15 teams in the league with this kind of stuff going on most teams are losing millions as it is.

Morey offered the best deal but refused to take back 3 bad contracts to go along with it so id rather Orlando be screwed than Houston props to Morey for standing his ground and basically forcing Orlando to take the lesser deal as a result. The NBA will continue to be a joke even if Houston got Howard or Bynum so in the end it doesn't matter.

aztr0
08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
It takes two to tango. They tried, but failed. Morey supposedly has a plan, so guess we'll all see wtf that plan is.

Chavacano
08-10-2012, 01:20 PM
There's still next off-season. :shrug:

If I'm not mistaken, both Dwight and Bynum are UFAs next off-season. If the Rockets have or make deals to have enough cap space to sign either one of them to a max contract then they can still be had.

zB_#85
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
He was being stubborn and didn't want to facilitate a 3 way. He didn't want to land Dwight in LA and settle for Bynum, he wanted Dwight for himself.

He forgot one thing, we are the Lakers and we get what we want. Should have played along Daryl :)

Vinylman
08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Has Houston signed parsons beyond his rookie deal? If not won't he be an RFA next offseason and subject to a poison pill deal?

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Has Houston signed parsons beyond his rookie deal? If not won't he be an RFA next offseason and subject to a poison pill deal?

The Rockets have a team option on Parsons for about $900k for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. He will be a Rocket for at least another three seasons, and my guess is a lot longer than that.

KniCks4LiFe
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
It's way too early to tell that. Lamb, Jones and Motiejunas all provide skill sets that could allow them to be successful in the NBA. And if Lin can be 75 percent of what he was starting in New York last season, he has All-Star written all over him. I also wouldn't sleep on Parsons. He has potential to be an efficient 15/5 guy and one of the best defensive wings in the league. I see him as a playmaking Luol Deng.

I think this point has been overplayed. From SF to C, they have Morris, Parsons, Forbes, Patterson, Jones, White, Motiejunas, Harrelson and Asik. I have no faith in Morris or Harrelson whatsoever at this point and I wouldn't be surprised is Forbes is just on the team for depth purposes. Patterson and Motiejunas should both see some minutes at center this season while Jones has the length and versatility to play some at the 3-5 spots. Those guys will get minutes and the players who earn the starting spots will have to prove themselves.

How? He dealt a player who didn't want to be here (Lowry), lost a PG who was unrestricted (Dragic) and then replaced them both with a younger player with a higher ceiling (Lin). He amnestied a very good, but very poor defensive big man (Scola) who was only going to keep this team in NBA purgatory. And he acquired a bevy of young players through the draft and free agency to build a young core around. Compared to where this team was last season, they're a step back from making the playoffs but 10 steps forward in terms of the future of the franchise.

Only post that made sense in this whole thread. Plus I'll add Chandler Parsons is going to put up K-Mart numbers w/ Lin as his PG. They are financially set, not overcapped and still have high ceiling players. IDK why in the world would a gm get fired for that. Is it better to stay mediocore w/ upside?

People act like LA is going to be together forever.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
The Rockets have a team option on Parsons for about $900k for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. He will be a Rocket for at least another three seasons, and my guess is a lot longer than that.

Ridiculously good deal. Morey gets quite a few bargains.

Bornknick73
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Hell no....he just got Lin for 25 mil!!

Dwight who? Hmmphhh!

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
OMG they have two potentially all-stars in Jeremy Lin and Jeremy Lamb and a respectable cast of young players around them. The Houston Rockets have a FUTURE to look forward to. Fans of the franchise should be ecstatic. I would be.

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I know i'm in the minority, here. But i'm glad Jeremy Lamb wasn't included in any deals for Dwight. The two Jeremys are going to be so fun to watch together. You think Lin and Novak was fun?! Just wait. Lamb can ****ing stroke it and he has great physical upside as well.

Evolution23
08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I think Afflolo is a better player than Brook Lopez

Losoway
08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
he should be fired right awayyyyyyyyyy

This was one of the worst trades in recent history

By far ::facepalm::

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 03:43 PM

WTF are you talking about? Why should Morey be fired for a deal the Magic's front office made? :confused:

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 03:46 PM

what trade?

Losoway
08-10-2012, 03:48 PM
sorry i post in the wrong forum

John Walls Era
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM
If he goes for Dwight, he hates on Morey. If he doesn't sign him, he hates on Morey. Make up your mind.

Lets fire people before we even seen how their product performs.

PS: Crooner4Life

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Personally, i can't wait to watch this young ballclub.

elledaddy
08-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Lin doesn't generate money for the Rockets from china. He generates money for the entire NBA from China, all that money is divided equally. Whatever Hou makes off China, the Knicks,Suns,Raptors,Orl etc all make the same amount

elledaddy
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Lin doesn't generate money for the Rockets from china. He generates money for the entire NBA from China, all that money is divided equally. Whatever Hou makes off China, the Knicks,Suns,Raptors,Orl etc all make the same amount

Da Knicks
08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I think he will be fired at the end of the season, horrible team houston has right now. Overpaying for Lin and Asik is just the cherry on top for me! lol

popo85
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Could learn a thing or two from the Sixers gm who made some good moves and improved there young squad.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Could learn a thing or two from the Sixers gm who made some good moves and improved there young squad.

LMFAO

Rockets had a better deal lineup, Orlando took a dumb deal IMO

mightybosstone
08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I think he will be fired at the end of the season, horrible team houston has right now. Overpaying for Lin and Asik is just the cherry on top for me! lol

Apparently people have no freaking clue how rebuilding works. But maybe basketball isn't your thing. Maybe you should go back to coloring. I've heard you managed to stay inside the lines for the most part on your last book. Good job! :Pats on head:

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Apparently people have no freaking clue how rebuilding works. But maybe basketball isn't your thing. Maybe you should go back to coloring. I've heard you managed to stay inside the lines for the most part on your last book. Good job! :Pats on head:

Move along.. Nothing to see here lol

keetyweedy
08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
:laugh: yes he should be fired, but Alexander doesn't care about winning he got his Yao ming 2.0 which means Lin Jersey's will be selling like hot-cakes so Morey will stay

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 06:30 PM
:laugh: yes he should be fired, but Alexander doesn't care about winning he got his Yao ming 2.0 which means Lin Jersey's will be selling like hot-cakes so Morey will stay

:facepalm: Mr. Alexander has refused to rebuild for almost three years now, you don't know what you're talking about

keetyweedy
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
:facepalm: Mr. Alexander has refused to rebuild for almost three years now, you don't know what you're talking about

& another excuse why Morey probably wont get fired :laugh:

Htownballa1622
08-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Lol. Why do people who have NO CLUE what they're talking about comment? ^

Mbt....lol. Go easy on him. check his sig.

Hype
08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Morey will be fired, he should have been fired the second he considered Kevin McHale for the head coach position. The best player on Houston is someone who stole laptops from U of M dorms two years ago.

KniCks4LiFe
08-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I know i'm in the minority, here. But i'm glad Jeremy Lamb wasn't included in any deals for Dwight. The two Jeremys are going to be so fun to watch together. You think Lin and Novak was fun?! Just wait. Lamb can ****ing stroke it and he has great physical upside as well.

Can you imagine if Lamb is Rudy Gay 2.0 or Rip 2.0... a fastbreak w/ Lin, Lamb, Parsons :speechless:

popo85
08-10-2012, 09:50 PM
LMFAO

Rockets had a better deal lineup, Orlando took a dumb deal IMO

Philly is smart
- Didn't overpay for Lou Williams who's a 1 dimensional player
-Got rid of a overpaid 3rd option
-Now has a nucleus at the PG-SF-C

While Rockets overpaid for Asik and Lin although imo Lin will be solid but that last year of his deal is high.

Chronz
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Philly is smart
- Didn't overpay for Lou Williams who's a 1 dimensional player
-Got rid of a overpaid 3rd option
-Now has a nucleus at the PG-SF-C

While Rockets overpaid for Asik and Lin although imo Lin will be solid but that last year of his deal is high.
Has nothing to do with the point Im trying to make, which is Orlando took the worse deal.

But the Rox dont feel the cap hit in the final year so it doesnt matter. We'll see how those moves turn out.

Cracka2HI!
08-10-2012, 11:42 PM
There is no way Morey should be fired, but I do think he had a horrible off-season. I wouldn't doubt that he thinks the same thing. Obviously he wanted to make a big move and stuck out. There is no way he should be fired after 1 bad off-season that wasn't even really his fault. For some reason Orlando wanted the Lakers to have Howard. Isn't it funny how the best players in the league just always end up on the Lakers? Just saying. As for Morey...he will rebound, and really it wasn't a bad idea for Houston to re-build. It just wan't necessary or what they were trying to do IMO.

Young2Kinsler
08-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Guess we have to give the Lakers props. They always find some ******** monkey to bend over and *******rape.

SMH at Denver helping facilitate a deal which marginally improved their team, if any, to help their huge rival create a stacked team

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it is hilarious that people think the Rockets over spent for Asik and Lin. First, in all cases to pry restricted free agents from teams a GM must spend more then they would want to. Second, both of these guys have metrics that are outstanding in areas where the Rockets plan to accentuate their abilities.

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
The fact is the Rockets have a young talented team. They currently have more 1st round draft picks on their team than any other team. We have no idea how these young players will develop together.

D-Mo, I'm predicting will be Rookie of the Year. Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, and Terrence Jones all look like really good NBA players. They all slipped in the draft for different reasons, NONE of which has to do with their talent.

The Rockets have potentially 3 1st rd picks next year to pair with potentially 3 second round picks. 2 of the 1st round picks have the potential to be in the top 5. Then in 2014 the Rockets could have ANOTHER 2 1st rd picks and 2 second round picks.

The Rockets will also have enough salary cap space to sign 2 MAX deals next summer. They didn't take bad contracts to get Howard or Bynum and can still sign Bynum to a max deal next summer. They could then pair Bynum with a Chris Paul or Josh Smith.

They have a nice $13 million dollar expiring contract in Kevin Martin that will be a nice trade chip come trade deadline time.

The Rockets have a solid foundation for rebuilding. This is how you do it. You build through the draft, The Rockets have more versatility to facilitate any trade and make any move. Next year the CBA tightens up ion teams over the cap. No more sign-and-trades by those teams and a killer luxury tax hit. That $100 million dollar team L.A. has could potentially cost them $190 million in luxury tax hits and penalties along with salary.

SouthSideRookie
08-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Guess we have to give the Lakers props. They always find some ******** monkey to bend over and *******rape.

SMH at Denver helping facilitate a deal which marginally improved their team, if any, to help their huge rival create a stacked team

The league can try all they want to prevent this kind of thing from happening but unfortunately all it takes is two or three clueless morons to totally F up the system. Organizations like Orlando and Denver will never achieve anything of significance in this league.

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I think it is hilarious that people think the Rockets over spent for Asik and Lin. First, in all cases to pry restricted free agents from teams a GM must spend more then they would want to. Second, both of these guys have metrics that are outstanding in areas where the Rockets plan to accentuate their abilities.

So you dont think Dragic should have been more worthy of that kind of contract than Lin?

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 12:43 PM
The fact is the Rockets have a young talented team. They currently have more 1st round draft picks on their team than any other team. We have no idea how these young players will develop together.

D-Mo, I'm predicting will be Rookie of the Year. Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, and Terrence Jones all look like really good NBA players. They all slipped in the draft for different reasons, NONE of which has to do with their talent.

The Rockets have potentially 3 1st rd picks next year to pair with potentially 3 second round picks. 2 of the 1st round picks have the potential to be in the top 5. Then in 2014 the Rockets could have ANOTHER 2 1st rd picks and 2 second round picks.

The Rockets will also have enough salary cap space to sign 2 MAX deals next summer. They didn't take bad contracts to get Howard or Bynum and can still sign Bynum to a max deal next summer. They could then pair Bynum with a Chris Paul or Josh Smith.

They have a nice $13 million dollar expiring contract in Kevin Martin that will be a nice trade chip come trade deadline time.

The Rockets have a solid foundation for rebuilding. This is how you do it. You build through the draft, The Rockets have more versatility to facilitate any trade and make any move. Next year the CBA tightens up ion teams over the cap. No more sign-and-trades by those teams and a killer luxury tax hit. That $100 million dollar team L.A. has could potentially cost them $190 million in luxury tax hits and penalties along with salary.

over rivers, beal, T-rob, Mkg & Davis? lol

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
So you dont think Dragic should have been more worthy of that kind of contract than Lin?

The Rockets engaged Dragic in talks first, he turned down the offer we had made him. It was very similar to Lin's offer in terms of the average ($8.3 million) we are paying Lin. It seems Dragic felt he deserved more to sign with what he deemed a rebuilding team. Lin is a good addition and has a ton of talent, I think it is hilarious people are discounting his abilities. I love smart point guards, especially those that are young, athletic, and can help on the team's overall marketing strategy.

Money is very important in the NBA because owners can choose to go over the luxury tax but only when their team is making money. Lin will make more money for the rockets than Dragic ever could and give similar if not better numbers than Dragic would have. i tend to think it was more about the system for Dragic/Lowry than it was their individual strengths. The rockets system is perfect for Lin and i foresee him making a big impact.

over rivers, beal, T-rob, Mkg & Davis? lol

First I am a huge Duke fan, brother went there, so I like Austin Rivers but please keep his name out of any legitimate rookie of the year conversation. Second, MKG will be a bust in my opinion so he's out (in my thinking, whcich is what you're questioning). Third, Beal and Davis have the chance to make huge impacts and will definitely be in the conversation.

Why I believe D-Mo will be the Rookie of the Year I believe his strengths wi9ll be accentuated supremely by the system and set of players the rockets have in place. They have a point guard with the ability to drive the lane and hit jump shots. With Asik being a primarily defensive center his job on offense will be to clear the lane, pick-and-roll, and screen.

D-Mo will be able to play in space utilizing his left-hand and his excellent jump shot. Despite belief by PSD posters D-Mo plays well in the post offensively and runs the floor well. This abilities play into the P-&R strategy McHale uses.

I can see D-Mo averaging about 18ppg next season with excellent efficiency. I love his improved rebounding ability and his confidence he possesses. I may be wrong but I fell confident in my prediction he will reign as the R.O.Y.

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
The Rockets engaged Dragic in talks first, he turned down the offer we had made him. It was very similar to Lin's offer in terms of the average ($8.3 million) we are paying Lin. It seems Dragic felt he deserved more to sign with what he deemed a rebuilding team. Lin is a good addition and has a ton of talent, I think it is hilarious people are discounting his abilities. I love smart point guards, especially those that are young, athletic, and can help on the team's overall marketing strategy.

Money is very important in the NBA because owners can choose to go over the luxury tax but only when their team is making money. Lin will make more money for the rockets than Dragic ever could and give similar if not better numbers than Dragic would have. i tend to think it was more about the system for Dragic/Lowry than it was their individual strengths. The rockets system is perfect for Lin and i foresee him making a big impact.

First off Lin has a crazy balloon contract which he gets 15 in his last yr which is simply ridiculous when all Dragic wanted was $10 mil per which I believe he earned and would have saved the Rockets $5 mil in the 3rd yr, which is why I came to the conclusion that they gave Lin that contract mainly for marketing reasons he has yet to really prove himself

yes as of right now Lin will make more money than Dragic mainly because of his Ethnicity along w/ publicity he received playing In NY, but you dont know for sure if he will end up being bigger than Dragic who's basketball IQ surpasses Lin's, Lin is now the big fish in houston, can he handle it? last I remember he had difficulties getting pass half court vs chalmers & Now he's the leader of the team, big step for somebody who only started 25 games

First I am a huge Duke fan, brother went there, so I like Austin Rivers but please keep his name out of any legitimate rookie of the year conversation. Second, MKG will be a bust in my opinion so he's out (in my thinking, whcich is what you're questioning). Third, Beal and Davis have the chance to make huge impacts and will definitely be in the conversation.

Why I believe D-Mo will be the Rookie of the Year I believe his strengths wi9ll be accentuated supremely by the system and set of players the rockets have in place. They have a point guard with the ability to drive the lane and hit jump shots. With Asik being a primarily defensive center his job on offense will be to clear the lane, pick-and-roll, and screen.

D-Mo will be able to play in space utilizing his left-hand and his excellent jump shot. Despite belief by PSD posters D-Mo plays well in the post offensively and runs the floor well. This abilities play into the P-&R strategy McHale uses.

I can see D-Mo averaging about 18ppg next season with excellent efficiency. I love his improved rebounding ability and his confidence he possesses. I may be wrong but I fell confident in my prediction he will reign as the R.O.Y.

& D-mo avg 18:eyebrow: you do know kyrie who is way better than D-mo only avg 18 right?? hell I would be surprised if Lin avg 18.. every player I named will have a better rookie season than D-mo and we can make a Sig bet on that if you want...

I know rockets might be your team and all but your hopes are way too high for them, first they have to straighten out a dysfunctional roster of a turnover pron pg, below avg center & 13 forwards lol

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
First off Lin has a crazy balloon contract which he gets 15 in his last yr which is simply ridiculous when all Dragic wanted was $10 mil per which I believe he earned and would have saved the Rockets $5 mil in the 3rd yr, which is why I came to the conclusion that they gave Lin that contract mainly for marketing reasons he has yet to really prove himself

yes as of right now Lin will make more money than Dragic mainly because of his Ethnicity along w/ publicity he received playing In NY, but you dont know for sure if he will end up being bigger than Dragic who's basketball IQ surpasses Lin's, Lin is now the big fish in houston, can he handle it? last I remember he had difficulties getting pass half court vs chalmers & Now he's the leader of the team, big step for somebody who only started 25 games

OK this is going to take a minute so bear with me I'm going to start with Jeremy Lin.

Well first with Lin, remember what he is paying is not what he counts against the cap, and that is what is important. Lin will make the monetary value of his contract back with no problem. We got Lin for about $8.3 million per season, cheaper than Dragic in terms of cap hit. Add that to his marketability and you will see an overall value index of around 12.32% not much but a net increase nonetheless.

Now to his turnovers, the question we should really be asking is whether Jeremy Lin's turnovers are *adding* to what we would expect the team to have if he weren't in the lineup. To answer this question, we can calculate his adjusted turnovers (turnovers at the team level per 100 possessions), in the same way that adjusted +/- is done, and just as I've been doing adjusted versions for the various shot locations recently.

What I found is that Jeremy Lin's offensive adjusted turnover rating was set to zero by the regression, meaning that he doesn't have a significant effect on the turnover rate at the team level. However, on the defensive side, his rating is +1.14, which suggests not only does he not have a major problem with turnovers, he's actually helping his team more often than not in *creating* turnovers by the opponent.

http://www.snywhyguys.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-16-at-4.49.30-PM.png

so you can see Jeremy Lin is not that turnover prone when you figure how much the ball was in his hands. The plays he ran were mainly isolation plays as well, and he performed well in them. Jeremy Lin shot 47.9 percent on jumpers off the dribble. Of the 102 players who attempted at least 90 jumpers off the dribble, only Stephen Curry and Steve Nash shot a higher field-goal percentage than Lin (47.9)

Reyes6
08-12-2012, 02:39 PM
No, Morey has done great for us and even if this rebuilding doesn't pay off immediately we should remember what he has done for this franchise before thinking of firing him. Sure we never won the championship, but you have to remember we had to constantly drop contracts to stay under the luxury tax, something LA/NY/CHI/MIA never had to do.

BenFrank
08-12-2012, 02:45 PM
No! In 4 years the Rockets will be better than the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs.. Only team that will Rival is OKC! Houston has a great young team, cap space, and High draft picks to rebuild with! It might not look like much now, but Houston's has one if not the Brightest future's in the league

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 02:50 PM
OK this is going to take a minute so bear with me I'm going to start with Jeremy Lin.

Well first with Lin, remember what he is paying is not what he counts against the cap, and that is what is important. Lin will make the monetary value of his contract back with no problem. We got Lin for about $8.3 million per season, cheaper than Dragic in terms of cap hit. Add that to his marketability and you will see an overall value index of around 12.32% not much but a net increase nonetheless.

Now to his turnovers, the question we should really be asking is whether Jeremy Lin's turnovers are *adding* to what we would expect the team to have if he weren't in the lineup. To answer this question, we can calculate his adjusted turnovers (turnovers at the team level per 100 possessions), in the same way that adjusted +/- is done, and just as I've been doing adjusted versions for the various shot locations recently.

What I found is that Jeremy Lin's offensive adjusted turnover rating was set to zero by the regression, meaning that he doesn't have a significant effect on the turnover rate at the team level. However, on the defensive side, his rating is +1.14, which suggests not only does he not have a major problem with turnovers, he's actually helping his team more often than not in *creating* turnovers by the opponent.

http://www.snywhyguys.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-16-at-4.49.30-PM.png

so you can see Jeremy Lin is not that turnover prone when you figure how much the ball was in his hands. The plays he ran were mainly isolation plays as well, and he performed well in them. Jeremy Lin shot 47.9 percent on jumpers off the dribble. Of the 102 players who attempted at least 90 jumpers off the dribble, only Stephen Curry and Steve Nash shot a higher field-goal percentage than Lin (47.9)

Lin has a popular brand as of right now but there is no guarantee that it will be even close to what it was in NY, so your overall value index is just an educated guess based off his popularity in NY which is the biggest market in the country, yes his overall avg $8.3 mil but he will be receiving $15 mil the 3rd season which is most likely guaranteed so basically he can play at an avg level this upcoming season, tank the 2nd and if they wanted to trade him it would be close to impossible at that price tag or lets say he does exceptional but the rockets need some additional pieces they wouldn't have that much leverage seeing they would have to pay $23 mil to just 2 players

& as his turnovers go I don't care what way you adjust it, he only played 35 games but had 126 turnovers which is ridiculously high for that less amount of games, almost everybody w/ more started & played in almost every game this season

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 02:53 PM
& D-mo avg 18:eyebrow: you do know kyrie who is way better than D-mo only avg 18 right?? hell I would be surprised if Lin avg 18.. every player I named will have a better rookie season than D-mo and we can make a Sig bet on that if you want...

I know rockets might be your team and all but your hopes are way too high for them, first they have to straighten out a dysfunctional roster of a turnover pron pg, below avg center & 13 forwards lol

The main reason is I believe the Rockets need a scorer. I think D-Mo will be the leading scorer on the Rockets, honestly. I just think the guy is a talent waiting to be unleashed. I also believe the Rockets will give him enough minutes to make that happen. This is why the Rockets amnestied Luis Scola. I don't really do sig best but you can sig quote me. D-Mo will have a better year than Austin Rivers, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Bradley Beal.

blastmasta26
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Morey's a good GM. I believe he had been prevented from rebuilding by the owner until now, which is why the Rockets had been a mediocre team for a while. But now they have a lot of young pieces and draft picks that should be good.

The Lin contract at 8 mil a year is fine, but I don't like the Asik contract much and the team has an abundance of power forwards. Still, I expect several Rocket players to fulfill their potential in the coming years.

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Lin has a popular brand as of right now but there is no guarantee that it will be even close to what it was in NY, so your overall value index is just an educated guess based off his popularity in NY which is the biggest market in the country, yes his overall avg $8.3 mil but he will be receiving $15 mil the 3rd season which is most likely guaranteed so basically he can play at an avg level this upcoming season, tank the 2nd and if they wanted to trade him it would be close to impossible at that price tag or lets say he does exceptional but the rockets need some additional pieces they wouldn't have that much leverage seeing they would have to pay $23 mil to just 2 players

& as his turnovers go I don't care what way you adjust it, he only played 35 games but had 126 turnovers which is ridiculously high for that less amount of games, almost everybody w/ more started & played in almost every game this season

Remember Houston has a huge Asian population and already has deep roots in the Asian community in Houston, the U.S., and around the world. There are other Asian markets outside of China. Again if they trade him/Asik the teams get the value price (8.3 million per season) that would only equal $16.6 million. I don't see them trading either though. They would have to seriously be terrible. There are no metrics to indicate that.

LOL come on man you can't just look at that you have to look beyond the face value of the overall numbers. The ball was in his hands most of the time. The value he added to his team was far superior to what the turnovers cost them. I mean you would have to say that Nash and Curry are terrible because their turnover percentages were much higher. Like I showed you Lin was actually 10th in turnover percentage. Add that to the fact he is only 23 years old and has a lot of growth left. He has not even came into his prime yet.

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Morey's a good GM. I believe he had been prevented from rebuilding by the owner until now, which is why the Rockets had been a mediocre team for a while. But now they have a lot of young pieces and draft picks that should be good.

The Lin contract at 8 mil a year is fine, but I don't like the Asik contract much and the team has an abundance of power forwards. Still, I expect several Rocket players to fulfill their potential in the coming years.

Asik is a center, not a power forward.

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Remember Houston has a huge Asian population and already has deep roots in the Asian community in Houston, the U.S., and around the world. There are other Asian markets outside of China. Again if they trade him/Asik the teams get the value price (8.3 million per season) that would only equal $16.6 million. I don't see them trading either though. They would have to seriously be terrible. There are no metrics to indicate that.

I know I live in Houston, they pretty much worship Yao, but the difference is Yao was arguably the best center in the NBA towards the end of his short lived career, but Lin is totally different, yeah he has a good story but lets be honest if Lin never played in NY and he did the same exact thing in somewhere like Atlanta or even Philly he would NOT have received any kind of publicity... and I was speaking hypothetically about trading him, but no team would take on that 3rd yr

LOL come on man you can't just look at that you have to look beyond the face value of the overall numbers. The ball was in his hands most of the time. The value he added to his team was far superior to what the turnovers cost them. I mean you would have to say that Nash and Curry are terrible because their turnover percentages were much higher. Like I showed you Lin was actually 10th in turnover percentage. Add that to the fact he is only 23 years old and has a lot of growth left. He has not even came into his prime yet.

and his turnover % is 21.4 which would make him 7th, & Nash & Curry where the focal points of there team which would mean 9/10 the ball is going to be in there hands vs Lin who only started 25 games and was not even the teams 3rd option....

SluggeR
08-12-2012, 03:25 PM
For the young players sake, I hope Morey trade some of those kids to a team that really wants them. You hardly see a team properly develop that many young players at the same time.

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I know I live in Houston, they pretty much worship Yao, but the difference is Yao was arguably the best center in the NBA towards the end of his short lived career, but Lin is totally different, yeah he has a good story but lets be honest if Lin never played in NY and he did the same exact thing in somewhere like Atlanta or even Philly he would NOT have received any kind of publicity... and I was speaking hypothetically about trading him, but no team would take on that 3rd yr

and his turnover % is 21.4 which would make him 7th, & Nash & Curry where the focal points of there team which would mean 9/10 the ball is going to be in there hands vs Lin who only started 25 games and was not even the teams 3rd option....

Actually I think even if Lin was in Philly or Atlanta if he dropped 38 on the Lakers it would have garnered that much attention. Teams would not have to take on the 3rd year at $15 million, they would get them at the $8.3 million figure according to the CBA.

Remember when "Linsanity was at it's hype Jeremy Lin was the focus of the offense. Look at the numbers I gave you. He had the ball in his hands more than any other player. he took the majority of the shots and scored the majority of the points. He was most certainly the focus. this is the main reason he would go on to not mesh with Amare and Carmelo. That's why the offense in Houston os much better suited for him than in New York.

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Actually I think even if Lin was in Philly or Atlanta if he dropped 38 on the Lakers it would have garnered that much attention. Teams would not have to take on the 3rd year at $15 million, they would get them at the $8.3 million figure according to the CBA.

so yours saying if he would have dropped 38 vs LA in philly or ATL he would have garnered the same amount of attention he received in NY? stop it! Brandon Jennings dropped 36 on NY and I haven't heard about it again since that day...if Brandon Jennings was in NY he would be a top 6-7 pg but since he is in such a small market that doesnt get any kind of attention he's just a top 10, & as far as the new cba goes IDK because i am not fully informed about all of it so you may be right but that just sounds weird to me if he has 2yrs/ $20 mil left they would only have to pay $8.3mil

Remember when "Linsanity was at it's hype Jeremy Lin was the focus of the offense. Look at the numbers I gave you. He had the ball in his hands more than any other player. he took the majority of the shots and scored the majority of the points. He was most certainly the focus. this is the main reason he would go on to not mesh with Amare and Carmelo. That's why the offense in Houston os much better suited for him than in New York.

I agree he doesn't mesh well with Amare and melo but 126 turnovers is still a massive amount for only 35 games

LA_Raiders
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
They are going to have to rebuild now...

D-Will4Prez
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
He shouldn't be fired for NOT acquiring Dwight/Bynum, but he should be fired for basically giving away Lowry, amnestying Scola, and overpaying for Lin. If I was a Rockets fan I'd be pissed, this guy just threw away the next 3 seasons for them.

#1chickhearnfan
08-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Some times you have to take risk , gambles, ect... This is why the Lakers are the best, they took a huge gamble trading away our starting C Divac to get Kobe and took alot of heat from everybody. And nobody was sure if Shaq was going to sign for less money. They rolled the dice, and the rest history.

rockets-fan
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
He shouldn't be fired for NOT acquiring Dwight/Bynum, but he should be fired for basically giving away Lowry, amnestying Scola, and overpaying for Lin. If I was a Rockets fan I'd be pissed, this guy just threw away the next 3 seasons for them.

Rockets fans are excited....we would rather suck and get a top 3 pick than keep Lowry and Scola and staying in the 9-10th seed in the west. Why would you want your team to be to good for star draft talent but not good enough to get into the playoffs?

I dont get your logic there... suck now and be good later or be average now and average later and average again after that? ill take the lateral.

Rockets future in 3 years looks awesome! might as well plan for that...theres only 3-4 teams in contention for the title in my opinion. MIA,OKC,LAL,BOS.

Rivera
08-12-2012, 04:09 PM
no not for that....maybe for other moves/acquistions but not for not getting dwight/bynum

shep33
08-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I think the Rockets will be fine, and I don't think their offer to Orlando was what everyone thought it was

D-Will4Prez
08-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Rockets fans are excited....we would rather suck and get a top 3 pick than keep Lowry and Scola and staying in the 9-10th seed in the west. Why would you want your team to be to good for star draft talent but not good enough to get into the playoffs?

I dont get your logic there... suck now and be good later or be average now and average later and average again after that? ill take the lateral.

Rockets future in 3 years looks awesome! might as well plan for that...theres only 3-4 teams in contention for the title in my opinion. MIA,OKC,LAL,BOS.

That is very true, I hadn't thought of it like that. You guys have been stuck in mediocrity for quite a while. Nothing worse than being in the 7-12 range in the draft every year. Win-Win for Morey then? Scenario A his plan to bring in a star Center works and they build around Dwight/Bynum, Scenario B his plan fails and he ends up with a top 5 draft pick to build around. Still don't like throwing away quality players though.

Verbal Christ
08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/08/harvey-hollywood-script-casts-rockets-as-losers/

The offer was lofty, best offer. Tor pick, 2 of the draftees future picks absorbing multiple bad contracts BUT...

For Bynum.

Orlando had to have the superstar afflalo. What else can morey do? People say he's overpaying but he's improving areas of need and meeting the minimum salary threshold. He can't force teams to deal and can't help it when the league throws out a great trade a year ago to satisfy its managing interests. So I'm curious - what else could morey have done ?

TEECOOP
08-12-2012, 05:34 PM
People keep talking about the rockets let them play first before yall start talking bad about them cause i think they are going to shock a lot of people this year

TEECOOP
08-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Why does people keep saying that Houston over paid for Asik 8million a year is good for a center do u see what D. Jordon is getting , Tyson Chandler, McGee,brook Lopez, roy hibbert way more then Asik and far goes Jeremy lin is that no fluke the numbers he put up he is going to be good he got talent cause he would not be able to put those numbers up if he didn't

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 06:02 PM
so yours saying if he would have dropped 38 vs LA in philly or ATL he would have garnered the same amount of attention he received in NY? stop it! Brandon Jennings dropped 36 on NY and I haven't heard about it again since that day...if Brandon Jennings was in NY he would be a top 6-7 pg but since he is in such a small market that doesnt get any kind of attention he's just a top 10, & as far as the new cba goes IDK because i am not fully informed about all of it so you may be right but that just sounds weird to me if he has 2yrs/ $20 mil left they would only have to pay $8.3mil

I agree he doesn't mesh well with Amare and melo but 126 turnovers is still a massive amount for only 35 games
I'll say this New York did up his exposure but Jennings got his time when he went off. The thing was Jeremy Lin was producing every night for that short stretch minus a couple of games for a team without it's 2 best players (though I'd argue about Amare...not important though).

Below is the CBA, it should help answer any questions about this. Only reason I know is I had to study it as I am in Grad school taking Sports and Entertainment law.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:xE_QMX2ruc8J:www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/PDF/CBA101.pdf+cba+trading+restricted+free+agents&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiMuElc91ZAM1t05HiaVVF2kXWtg_rYoabfiFz7 qZlPLLt8NQAu8EtkpBa4IqYAbEG_R94WbZQfuPPeTnd4ozCl6R 2YrmDiNdMl4wo8BdYKU8tgfynl3I396RjdIfHc0sGwmhFn&sig=AHIEtbQo5Bm4G6oVzMl7Al4g4qHAG7k-AA

It's on page 10 section 3 it discusses free agents and the ability to average the salary. But yeah that's how it works, that's why the Rockets got the better end of the deal. They

KniCks4LiFe
08-12-2012, 06:06 PM

actually he meshed w/ everybody except Melo. That's the main reason he was booted by Knicks mgmt. Everybody loved Lin. All the players knew what he did for them in the offense. Melo honestly didn't care, and I doubt JR did too. The turnovers came at a time he didn't even practice w/ the 1st team. They might as well have put him out there w/ people from the street, that's why what he did during the Linsanity run was anything short but amazing for a 23 yr. old.

EDUTEXANS
08-12-2012, 08:09 PM

we got a really good pick from Lowry and he wanted out. Scola had to go, we are rebuiding and it makes no sense keep him and his salary, we need to develop the young guys, and you can be sure Morey tried to trade him, but we coudn't take any contract back to keep out Howard/Bynum hopes alive. And Lin, although we did overpay for him, we got him for nothing, and he has crazy potential, he may be a bet, but I think he is worth it;

That is very true, I hadn't thought of it like that. You guys have been stuck in mediocrity for quite a while. Nothing worse than being in the 7-12 range in the draft every year. Win-Win for Morey then? Scenario A his plan to bring in a star Center works and they build around Dwight/Bynum, Scenario B his plan fails and he ends up with a top 5 draft pick to build around. Still don't like throwing away quality players though.

worst than that, we had the 14th pick in the last three years

WhiteSoxGod
08-12-2012, 09:32 PM

We didn't throw them away, I mean except Scola but we tried to trade him. However our owner wanted Scola to have some vesting interest in where he went. The sad part is he didn't anyway because he got claimed. But we had to let him go to give playing time to the youngsters most importantly.

Morey came in with 1 goal to help Houston return to Championship form. He has started us on that path. He realized if you can trade for a star you have to draft some, AKA OKC Thunder.

we got a really good pick from Lowry and he wanted out. Scola had to go, we are rebuiding and it makes no sense keep him and his salary, we need to develop the young guys, and you can be sure Morey tried to trade him, but we coudn't take any contract back to keep out Howard/Bynum hopes alive. And Lin, although we did overpay for him, we got him for nothing, and he has crazy potential, he may be a bet, but I think he is worth it; worst than that, we had the 14th pick in the last three years

Yeah I love that Morey has been bold and gave the Rockets flexibility.

Cracka2HI!
08-13-2012, 12:12 AM
For the young players sake, I hope Morey trade some of those kids to a team that really wants them. You hardly see a team properly develop that many young players at the same time.

I agree with this. The Rockets have 9 PF's and 21 players on their roster. They really need to make a trade of some sort. I wonder who is really out there anymore? Are their any teams with a big contract or 2 they would be willing to dump for 7-8 players? LOL

On a serious note a package of Patterson, Morris, White or Jones and Douglas should bring them in something decent. Sure it is 3 PF's but teams can play small off the bench. They could also make a number of smaller trades, but they have to move about 3 PF's.

Jint.
08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
yup fire him and come to NY and be the owner.. Oh yea too late

WhiteSoxGod
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree with this. The Rockets have 9 PF's and 21 players on their roster. They really need to make a trade of some sort. I wonder who is really out there anymore? Are their any teams with a big contract or 2 they would be willing to dump for 7-8 players? LOL

On a serious note a package of Patterson, Morris, White or Jones and Douglas should bring them in something decent. Sure it is 3 PF's but teams can play small off the bench. They could also make a number of smaller trades, but they have to move about 3 PF's.

I'm not sure there are any major trades to be had. I would love to see us trade some guys for draft picks though. I'm not sure who needs forwards out there, I'll have to do some research.

thekmp211
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
no. he didn't get dwight or bynum, oh well. neither did 29 other teams in the league. we'll see how the lin move pans out, i like it and am convinced he's going to be a good player.

i'm very high on jeremy lamb and terrence jones. patterson/morris/johnson is a strong young rotation at the 4. asik will make a lot of people who think he's overpaid look real dumb, dude is a fantastic defensive 5 who complements the guys at the 4 very well. parsons looks very good. montiejunas looks great and if k-mart is healthy they will probably get a couple nice assets for him before the trade deadline.

not sure they have a superstar on the roster, but there is great young talent at every spot in the lineup. i like what he did considering he missed the big prizes. much better than overspending for a consolation prize.

EDUTEXANS
08-13-2012, 03:27 PM

our roster as of right now

Jeremy Lin - Toney Douglas
Kevin Martin - Jeremy Lamb
Chandler Parsons - Royce White - Marcus Morris - Gary Forbes
Donatas Motiejunas - Patrick Patterson - Terrence Jones - JaJuan Johnson
Omer Asik - Josh Harrelson

one last spot, it's between Livingston, Scott Machado and Greg Smith I believe

WhiteSoxGod
08-13-2012, 04:16 PM

I hope it's Machado. He gives us a different look off the bench from Douglas and Lin.

Cracka2HI!
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM

hmm, it may not be as big of a mess as I thought, but I don't see Morris or White as SF's. I could be wrong tho.

WhiteSoxGod
08-13-2012, 05:19 PM
hmm, it may not be as big of a mess as I thought, but I don't see Morris or White as SF's. I could be wrong tho.

Royce White is definitely a Small Forward. I mean he has the perfect skill-set for the position and played there many times in college. He is definitely not a power forward, especially on this team, lol.

However Gary Forbes is definitely not a Small Forward. He is PF plain and simple.

EDUTEXANS
08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Royce White is definitely a Small Forward. I mean he has the perfect skill-set for the position and played there many times in college. He is definitely not a power forward, especially on this team, lol.

However Gary Forbes is definitely not a Small Forward. He is PF plain and simple.

since when? Forbes is a SF, and he actually played some games at SG last season, and in college if I'm not wrong. He is 6'7'', 220 lbs and he is quick. White, in the other hand, has to get a little lighter and a little quicker so he can guard 3s, I think he will end up a SF but he will play both positions. Morris spent a lot of time doing that last season, and he lost some pounds so he could play the 3. He is actually 10 pounds lighter than his twin brother right now.

WhiteSoxGod
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
since when? Forbes is a SF, and he actually played some games at SG last season, and in college if I'm not wrong. He is 6'7'', 220 lbs and he is quick. White, in the other hand, has to get a little lighter and a little quicker so he can guard 3s, I think he will end up a SF but he will play both positions. Morris spent a lot of time doing that last season, and he lost some pounds so he could play the 3. He is actually 10 pounds lighter than his twin brother right now.

Oh the only games I watched he was inserted as a power forward, so if that is not a true then I am completely wrong.

White though will be a SF, I can't see him playing the PF, he is a little to undersized.