PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Nuggets now?

mdm692
08-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Everybody will obviously say how good the Lakers got but what about the Nuggets? They know have a star player in Iguodala who is one of the elite wings in the NBA. Great defender, play maker and leader. What is their ceiling now. Top 5 in WCF? 4? 3?

IndyRealist
08-10-2012, 01:23 AM
They got an all-star level player by giving up two washed up players and a draft pick. Even without AI, they got better because George Karl can't give minutes to Al Harrington anymore. So major win.

Unfortunately they also gave the Lakers enough that Denver doesn't stand a chance against them in 7 games.

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
They have solid D at each of their starting 5 positions. Iggy being the best of the bunch with Gallo and Faried being above average and McGee being one of the best shot blockers the game has to offer.

On offense they are one of the most athletic and actually compliment each other really well. I think they are perennial playoff contenders with this trade but still lack that true star player to put them over the top. If Lawson and Gallo develop however they can combine to be the type of force they'd need to throw their names in the WCF hat though. They both have all star potential and playing with Iggy is only going to make them better.

Ryan328
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Top 5 seed out west

BKdoubleStacker
08-10-2012, 01:27 AM
top 5

probably 3rd seed

C-Style
08-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Top 5 out west top 2-3 out East. The West is stacked

Thunder
Lakers
Clippers
Spurs
Nuggets

Sixerlover
08-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Love the mix of shooting / defense / veteran leadership / youth / ballhandling / rebounding they have.

Lawson / Miller
Iguodala / Brewer
Gallo / Chandler / Hamilton
Faried
McGee / Mozgov

man, they will be good.

setman2000
08-10-2012, 01:32 AM
They also opened up there mid-level exception again and they save about $20 mill. in long term salary which will let them extend Ty Lawson without going over the cap. Great move for Denver!

Raph12
08-10-2012, 01:32 AM
How good are the Sixers?

PG - Holiday
SG - JRich
SF - Wright
PF - Young
C - Bynum
6th - Turner
7th - Hawes
etc

Nuggets maybe top 5, same goes for the Sixers out East...

LTBaByyy
08-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Lakers
OKC
Spurs
Clippers
Nuggets
Mavs
Grizzlies
Blazers

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 01:34 AM
It doesnt matter with the trade they just agreed on, the assured the Lakers will be the top team over the 2-3 years. West are Lakers + Thunder. Everyone else has NO CHANCE of competing.

AndyfromNeptune
08-10-2012, 01:38 AM
The Nuggets will be one of the best passing teams in the league.

Both Iggy, Lawson, and Gallinari know how to move the ball very well.

The team is unselfish and has incredible depth. I expect them to be a top 4 seed in the West. However, when it comes down to the playoffs where superstars win championships, unless something out of the ordinary happens, I do not expect them to compete with the Thunder or Lakers. Every other team, however, is fair game.

AndyfromNeptune
08-10-2012, 01:39 AM
The good thing about the Nuggets is that they have so much young talent--even if they don't contend for a championship this year or next---they will have the chance as they grow together for the next 4-5 years.

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:39 AM
How good are the Sixers?

PG - Holiday
SG - JRich
SF - Wright
PF - Young
C - Bynum
6th - Turner
7th - Hawes
etc

Nuggets maybe top 5, same goes for the Sixers out East...

No chance in hell JRich and Wright starts over Turner. One of the biggest reasons for wanting to ship Iggy that badly was to get Turner to flourish as a starter.

Young isn't likely to be a starter either.

PG: Jrue / Ivey
SG: Turner / J Rich
SF: Wright / N Young
PF: Hawes / Allen / T Young / Moultrie
C: Bynum / Brown

We're anywhere from 3-6 in all honesty. The Knicks, Pacers, Nets and us would be fighting it out for those 4 spots IMO. It's amazing how things have changed in the East in such a short time.

Aust
08-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Nuggets are underrated now. Team has talent, and was missing what Iggy can potentially bring. Perfect fit

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:41 AM
The Nuggets will be one of the best passing teams in the league.

Both Iggy, Lawson, and Gallinari know how to move the ball very well.

The team is unselfish and has incredible depth. I expect them to be a top 4 seed in the West. However, when it comes down to the playoffs where superstars win championships, unless something out of the ordinary happens, I do not expect them to compete with the Thunder or Lakers. Every other team, however, is fair game.

Don't forget Andre Miller is also coming off the bench so when they play small they'd have the option of having Miller, Lawson, Iggy and Gallo on the floor at the same time.

NoahH
08-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Love the mix of shooting / defense / veteran leadership / youth / ballhandling / rebounding they have.

Lawson / Miller
Iguodala / Brewer
Faried
McGee / Mozgov

man, they will be good.

They look great and they saved a ton of money! their GM is a genius. Other than Iggy, all their other 4 starters are young and have alot of potential.:speechless:

Losoway
08-10-2012, 02:42 AM
REALLY GOOD

iggy is easily a top 20 player

imagine him under a great coach like george karl

Losoway
08-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Lawson / Miller
Iguodala / Brewer
Faried
McGee / Mozgov

IGGY-FARRIED-MCGEE - DEFENSIVE MONSTERS

b@llhog24
08-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Gallo better take the next step this year. :mad:

bholly
08-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Very good, Iggy is going to be excellent for them. They'll probably rival the Spurs for my second most watched team this year.

Saad
08-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Damn they look really good IMO. I think Lawson will be a beast this year, I really will be rooting for them unless they play the Lakers :P

IgglesFanInCO
08-10-2012, 03:18 AM
They took a (much less talented then they are now) lakers team to 7 games last year as the youngest starting 5 in the playoffs, and as one of the most injured teams in the league over the year, with their starting center not knowing the playbook

They only got better and better and younger and deeper this offseason

but to answer the question, they go as far as Ty, Gallo and McGee develop, at this point they all are above average starters but have all-star potential

McGee will have a career year since hes out of that toxic situation in washington and in a system that fits him perfectly

tp13baby
08-10-2012, 03:30 AM
If Gallo takes the next step along with McGee, and Lawson plays like he showed he can in the playoffs, with a healthy team, They are top three in the west. But Gallo is what will make this team great. He comes out like an allstar, there is one team i will still be scared to play, obviously OKC. 76ers got better. Lakers got better in a way from this trade. Orlando, your going to love Afflalo.

STL Don
08-10-2012, 03:37 AM
I really like what the Nuggets brought to the table against the Lakers in the playoffs. I was very impressed.
To me, they were only 1 star away from being among the best. They have the best role players you can offer and each have very bright futures in the NBA.
Adding Iggy should make a significant difference, especially given his style of play. It's not like he's coming in and taking over all of the shot attempts for them. He's an elite defender with great athleticism and an all around solid game, capable of rebounding, facilitating and scoring. Basically a complete package although his jumper is inconsistent. Nonetheless, a great addition.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Both teams Sixers & Nuggets got better from this trade. Adding Iggy to Denver makes them fast and dangerous. Philly getting Bynum is Huge! And gives them a legit shot and future.

hidalgo
08-10-2012, 03:40 AM
they're not contenders, but they helped their boss LA win a few titles

Chronz
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
They were ****** defensively last season, does adding Iggy and Chandler change that? My guess is yes.

Evolution23
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Lawson / Miller
Iguodala / Brewer
Faried
McGee / Mozgov

man, they will be good.

Seriously, I feel like every team involved in the Dwight trade got better with the exception of you know who. Iggy will give the Nuggets that lock down defender that they needed. Lawson and Iggy is a sick back court, Gallo will be that great shooter and driver, Faried will give them intensity on the boards, and Mcgee is working on offense with Hakeem. They have a really solid team moving forward.

IversonIsKrazy
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Imagine if Nugz got Bynum.... how great would've that been. But this is good too. They got even more wing depth now. They will be a fun team to look out for.
1. LAL
2. SA
3. OKC
4. LAC
5. DEN
6. MEM
7. DAL
8. GSW/MIN/UTA

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Imagine if Nugz got Bynum.... how great would've that been. But this is good too. They got even more wing depth now. They will be a fun team to look out for.
1. LAL
2. SA
3. OKC
4. LAC
5. DEN
6. MEM
7. DAL
8. GSW/MIN/UTA

Haha Afflalo for Bynum would have been a bigger highway robbery than Kwame for Gasol.

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm in love with the Nuggets team. They have a lot of unselfish players that pass, shoot, play d, hustle.... What more can you ask for in a team. The obvious thing they're missing is a star, but they can overcome it with excellent team play like the Pistons.

Lawson/Miller
Iggy/Brewer
Chandler/Gallo/Hamilton
Faried/Randolph
Mcgee/Mozgov

roshan3ai
08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
^Gallo's better than Chandler. He'll start. If Chandler started, floor spacing would be an issue

popo85
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Depends on Chandler's health and Gallos progression.

The Best Around
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
McGee/Faried/Gallo/Iguodala/Lawson with Chandler as the sixth man is nice. Problem is that they are no match for LA or probably OKC. But in a few years they could be very good.

Jarvo
08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Top 4

OKC
Lakers
Spurs
Nuggets

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 05:27 PM
They will be a good team. However I feel that they will be DWill's Jazz or Bibby/Webber's Kings. They need a franchise player to step up for big games and they currently arent no match for the OKC Thunder or LA Lakers.

IgglesFanInCO
08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
If Gallo takes that next step they are scary

If Ty plays like he did in the lakers series and improves some more they are scary

If McGee reaches his potential with a Coach whos best quality is developing players they are scary

bottom line is they need a superstar, or a couple stars, they have the potential to have a couple stars right now, but only if those guys take that next step, still its nice to be a 4-5 seed while having one of the youngest teams in the league and having more tradeable assets than any other team in the league

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 05:39 PM
If Gallo takes that next step they are scary

If Ty plays like he did in the lakers series and improves some more they are scary

If McGee reaches his potential with a Coach whos best quality is developing players they are scary

bottom line is they need a superstar, or a couple stars, they have the potential to have a couple stars right now, but only if those guys take that next step, still its nice to be a 4-5 seed while having one of the youngest teams in the league and having more tradeable assets than any other team in the league

What if they all develop :speechless:

Gritz
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Not good enough

knicks=love
08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
No chance in hell JRich and Wright starts over Turner. One of the biggest reasons for wanting to ship Iggy that badly was to get Turner to flourish as a starter.

Young isn't likely to be a starter either.

PG: Jrue / Ivey
SG: Turner / J Rich
SF: Wright / N Young
PF: Hawes / Allen / T Young / Moultrie
C: Bynum / Brown

We're anywhere from 3-6 in all honesty. The Knicks, Pacers, Nets and us would be fighting it out for those 4 spots IMO. It's amazing how things have changed in the East in such a short time.

i think you guys are so underrated that i'd say they'll finish 5th behind the heat, celtics, pacers, knicks and then sixers. i like them better than the nets because they have a much more well-rounded team with a lot of underrated players and a better bench.

knicks=love
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
nuggets have by far been the best post-superstar team. they really did well and turned their team into something good after losing their best player.

Kashmir13579
08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to watch this team.

Da Knicks
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
it will depend if Gallo can become the man of that team, that boy has the swagger to become the franchise player.

THE GIPPER
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I cant wait for the season to start

b@llhog24
08-10-2012, 06:09 PM
What if they all develop :speechless:

Which is very possible.

Jint.
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
5th or 6th is the West

Jarvo
08-10-2012, 06:27 PM
:pray: McGee be the player everyone thinks he can be, Chandler stay healthy, Gallo & Lawson takes the next step. They would be scary as hell.

Katspinal1313
08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Going to be fun to watch, everyone should be that much better, and with that much depth and athleticism should have a punchers chance in a series, OKC and Lakers the main threat, might be able to outwork an older spurs team...could really use a ray Allen type outside shooter, but no other major weaknesses...Iggy perfect fit

ohreally
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Denver is looking very good. So is Golden State if Bogut and Curry can stay reasonably healthy. A healthy Bogut is a serious contender for 2nd best center in the league

DreStylez
08-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Aaron Afflalo > Andre Igoudala
Both good defenders but Aaron is more of an offensive threat and plays more like a SG than Igoudala, a SF. Nice to unload a chucker Al Harrington though, plus his salary. They'll be a playoff team though.

Go_NUGGETS
08-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Both good defenders but Aaron is more of an offensive threat and plays more like a SG than Igoudala, a SF. Nice to unload a chucker Al Harrington though, plus his salary. They'll be a playoff team though.

How is Afflalo more of an offensive threat?

Swashcuff
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Iggy's playmaking and scoring is way more than Afflalo's how does that make Afflalo better? Apparently you didn't see last season when Arron was sub par on D and Iggy was the best perimeter defender in the league anchoring a top 5 defensive team.

Afflalo wish he could be as good as Iguodala on either end of the floor. Playing alongside a scoring PG like Ty a player like Iggy is going to be invaluable.

ReconZach
08-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Lakers
OKC
Spurs
Clippers
Nuggets
Mavs
Grizzlies
Blazers

Look for a much improved Golden State team, T-Wolves team, or a young Suns team to grab that 8th seed!

THE GIPPER
08-11-2012, 05:36 PM

delete

THE GIPPER
08-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Iggy's playmaking and scoring is way more than Afflalo's how does that make Afflalo better? Apparently you didn't see last season when Arron was sub par on D and Iggy was the best perimeter defender in the league anchoring a top 5 defensive team.

Afflalo wish he could be as good as Iguodala on either end of the floor. Playing alongside a scoring PG like Ty a player like Iggy is going to be invaluable.

I especially agree with the bolded. Its gonna be a lot of fun to watch

DenButsu
08-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Although the people in this thread who say Afflalo is "washed up" or otherwise not very good are really wrong, Iggy will still be a significant upgrade. Their 3-point shooting was practically identical last season, what's lost in FT% is more than made up with playmaking (there will be more than one "lob city"), and in a fast paced system which emphasizes scoring in transition, Iguodala should really be able to maximize his offensive efficiency. The Nuggets may as well have been custom built to suit his skill set.

Defensively it will be a major improvement, imo. I wrote a blog post that you can read here (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2012/08/10/a-new-hope-for-the-nuggets-perimeter-defense/) if you care to, detailing the comparative defensive statistics between Afflalo and Iggy, and I'm convinced we'll see a pretty huge upswing in Denver's perimeter defense.

97NYer
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
They got an all-star level player by giving up two washed up players and a draft pick. Even without AI, they got better because George Karl can't give minutes to Al Harrington anymore. So major win.

Unfortunately they also gave the Lakers enough that Denver doesn't stand a chance against them in 7 games.

Afflalo had an incredible year and Harrington also had a great year off the bench. Iguodala may be worth more than the two but to call them washed up is just stupid.

Losoway
08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
4th or 5th

i really like what iggy brings to the nuggets .

Iggy- Farried- Mcgee defensive monsters

FKNRUEHH925
08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
keeping on topic i think this pushed the Nuggests over the egde... they have a solid core and depth which is most important. i say they can be a 3rd or 4th seed even maybe moving ahead of the Clippers.. But watch out for Golden State if healthy they can be a 4-8 seed also.. Spurs are old and Mavs are old

b@llhog24
08-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Although the people in this thread who say Afflalo is "washed up" or otherwise not very good are really wrong, Iggy will still be a significant upgrade. Their 3-point shooting was practically identical last season, what's lost in FT% is more than made up with playmaking (there will be more than one "lob city"), and in a fast paced system which emphasizes scoring in transition, Iguodala should really be able to maximize his offensive efficiency. The Nuggets may as well have been custom built to suit his skill set.

Defensively it will be a major improvement, imo. I wrote a blog post that you can read here (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2012/08/10/a-new-hope-for-the-nuggets-perimeter-defense/) if you care to, detailing the comparative defensive statistics between Afflalo and Iggy, and I'm convinced we'll see a pretty huge upswing in Denver's perimeter defense.

Good read.

eibbor
08-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Not good enough... Not even close

flatbush knicks
08-12-2012, 01:26 AM
i love this trade for the nuggets top 3 out west

Losoway
08-12-2012, 01:26 AM
i love this trade for the nuggets top 3 out west

i think so too. george karl can bring out crazy potential in iggy

DenButsu
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Just FYI, Iguodala's presser w/ the Nuggs will start in about 10 min on Altitude (no live stream). and NuggetsTV will put it up on youtube shortly after it's over.

DenButsu
08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
There may be an online stream of the presser here: @DenverTerp35 According to the NBA twitter page, this link will stream the Iguodala presser: http://www.nba.com/live1/

daboywonder2002
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
a seed higher. thats about it. i think they got better defensively and more athletic with iggy. but let me say this if their young players keep getting better. if lawson, faried and mcgee improve their games and numbers. i could see them jumping 2 seed higher to the 5th seed .

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Top 4 a real contender. Iggy is a lockdown guy that can slow down the big boy wings in the west./

smith&wesson
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
they have lots of talent. but they also have a serious log jam of forwards.

you dont need iggy, gallo, w.chandler, c.brewer all playing the 3. you can use some of that talent as trading chips.

if i was ujiri i would trade a couple of my small forwards to balance out the team.

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Well Iggy can play the 2, chandler has played the 4 and brewer can play the 2 or 3. But you are correct I expect chandler to be used as a trade piece.

DenButsu
08-16-2012, 02:28 PM
they have lots of talent. but they also have a serious log jam of forwards.

you dont need iggy, gallo, w.chandler, c.brewer all playing the 3. you can use some of that talent as trading chips.

if i was ujiri i would trade a couple of my small forwards to balance out the team.

I think the Nuggets are fairly well balanced, actually. I'd guesstimate the depth chart looking something like this (where Andre Miller being between the 1 and 2 means he spends some time at both positions, likewise for Chandler being between the 3 and 4):

S B1 B2

1 Ty

Dre Stone

2 Iggy Fournier

Brewer
J-Ham
3 Gallo

Chandler Q-Mil

4 Faried

Koufos Randolph

5 McGee Mozgov

Hustla23
08-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Man, what an exciting, and full of potential team Denver has assembled....

And they're still so young, too.

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 10:24 PM
A little better than they were last year.