PDA

View Full Version : Final Nets offer for Howard

NYSpirit1
08-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Final Nets offer Orlando rejected in July: Lopez, Humphries (1 year, $9.6M), Brooks, 4 unprotected No. 1's for Howard, JRich, Duhon, Clark.

vs. Harrington, Aflallo, Harkless and Vucevic and 3 PROTECTED firsts.

Wow. :laugh2:

This is my worst trade of all-time, given the circumstances.

They would've gotten a top 5 center, 4 unprotected 1's AND Brooks, been at least somewhat competitive and got rid of all the same contracts.

Wow. Why wouldn't they just wait until January 15th?

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 12:30 AM
The Magic are one of the most confused franchises ever I guess that's why Dwight fit so well.

DragonJaii
08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
stop making threads.

LakersIn5
08-10-2012, 12:33 AM

They would've gotten a top 5 center, 4 unprotected 1's AND Brooks, been at least somewhat competitive and got rid of all the same contracts.

because that trade wont make the lakers any better.

PocketKings
08-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Brook Lopez is not a top 5 center. He's barely top 10 if we are being honest with ourselves.

AntiG
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
the Magic front office are ******** lol, its been established for awhile now.

lakers4sho
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
u mad?

Im_in_Mia_bish
08-10-2012, 12:36 AM
blah..

Raps08-09 Champ
08-10-2012, 12:36 AM
That's Magic FO for you.

JNA17
08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Who cares. Russian Owner fails at negotiating, and failed at getting Dwight Howard. Now he has to deal with a past his prime Joe Johnson and his god awful contract along with an already awful contract to Brook Lopaz.

Move on.

Evolution23
08-10-2012, 12:40 AM

Lopez is decent, Brooks is a good scorer but those 4 un protected picks wouldn't matter because the Nets will be in the playoffs for the next 3-4 years.

Mave1002
08-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Yikes. WOJ Adding insult to injury.

Gagan136

lollllllllllllllll

DaBear
Doesn't take away the idiotic moves the Nets GM made this summer.

netsgiantsyanks
k.

THE MTL
This is why i hate the lakers. Other teams can offer WAY better deals but the lakers rapes are always accepted.

Do u realize that they basically traded. 3 firsts, 2 2nds, and bynum for nash and howard. Unbelievable.

Fmaranesi
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
They didn't want to give Brook Lopez a max contract because he doesn't deserve one.

The goods
08-10-2012, 12:46 AM
People are forgetting that Lopez didn't want to go to Orlando and Kris wanted to get paid along with a longterm deal which is exactly what the magic didn't want to do, those picks would mean absolutely nothing coming from the nets,That's why that deal fell through

The goods
08-10-2012, 12:47 AM

Hahahahaha

shep33
08-10-2012, 12:47 AM
It comes down to Orlando not wanting to build around Lopez, who they'd have to pay big money. Same thing goes for Bynum. They could've had Bynum, McBob, Ebanks, a future 1st, but they just didn't want to build around any of the guys available.

That being said, I think Orlando will indeed get McBob (expiring) plus probably Ebanks (expiring), while unloading Jrich, Duhon, and probably someone else

Im_in_Mia_bish
08-10-2012, 12:48 AM
this just gives the lakers and dwight a bigger reason to boo for.

not angry at all by the trade and magic fo inability to pull the trigger on the better deal, cant wait for the season to start.

Losoway
08-10-2012, 12:49 AM
i really dont know what the magics were thinking

this was absolutely a terrible deal

Swashcuff
It comes down to Orlando not wanting to build around Lopez, who they'd have to pay big money. Same thing goes for Bynum. They could've had Bynum, McBob, Ebanks, a future 1st, but they just didn't want to build around any of the guys available.

That being said, I think Orlando will indeed get McBob (expiring) plus probably Ebanks (expiring), while unloading Jrich, Duhon, and probably someone else

Difference is Bynum wasn't going to stay in Orlando so they wouldn't even been given the choice to build around Bynum. Either way a healthy C is a prime commodity in the NBA these days they could have simply traded him away if they didn't want to build around him. You'd need to come up with a better defense than that.

beliges
This is why i hate the lakers. Other teams can offer WAY better deals but the lakers rapes are always accepted.

Do u realize that they basically traded. 3 firsts, 2 2nds, and bynum for nash and howard. Unbelievable.\

Imagine last year if the Lakers made their trade for CP3. They probably would not have gotten Nash and would not have been able to get Dwight. Amazing how things work out. The fact remains, you dont become the greatest franchise of your sport without being able to pull off miracles.

This gives Kobe the personell to compete for the title against the other superteams of the league.

Aust
We get your butthurt, stop making threads

popo85
08-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Like said before, they knew soft Lopez didn't deserve a max.

theLgndKllr35
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
I honestly like this deal better. The team is almost assured the 1st overall pick this way, with Humphries, Lopez, Brooks, and Turk, you never know.

Harkless could be this year's Brooks, and Vucevic played well for the Sixers last year, just blocked by Hawes.

Affalo could very well give you Lopez type value.

The unprotected 1sts are pretty worthless as well with Williams, Johnson, and Howard pretty much eliminating any chance of a good pick over that span.

shep33
08-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Difference is Bynum wasn't going to stay in Orlando so they wouldn't even been given the choice to build around Bynum. Either way a healthy C is a prime commodity in the NBA these days they could have simply traded him away if they didn't want to build around him. You'd need to come up with a better defense than that.

I'm not so sure that Bynum wouldn't have re-signed in Orlando. If this is the case, why didn't they do the Brooklyn deal? Seems like Lopez is healthy now.

I still think the trade will end up looking like this:

AA, Harrington, Mo Harkless, Vucevic, Eyenga (expiring), and I'm guessing McRoberts as well when all is said and done (3.1 expiring). Plus 3 first rounders. In the process Orlando is getting rid of Jrich, Duhon, and Earl Clark's deals at the very least (as we know of right now). Those picks are also more valuable than what the Nets would've been getting back. Yeah LAL's pick would suck, but Philly and Denver's would've been better than Brooklyn's by a long shot

Seems they want to re-build from scratch.

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I honestly like this deal better. The team is almost assured the 1st overall pick this way, with Humphries, Lopez, Brooks, and Turk, you never know.

Nothing is assured in a lottery. The Bobcats just finished with the worst record in league history they were all but assured.

Affalo could very well give you Lopez type value.

Afflalo really doesn't make much sense for them they'd likely ship him once given the chance. As much as I like him he really doesn't give Lopez type value.

The unprotected 1sts are pretty worthless as well with Williams, Johnson, and Howard pretty much eliminating any chance of a good pick over that span.

Philly is going to be a top 2-5 seed in the East for quite some time if everything goes well, the Lakers are anywhere from top 1-4 out West and the Nuggs top 3-7 or so at worst their protected picks really aren't that better if they are better at all than the Nets'.

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm not so sure that Bynum wouldn't have re-signed in Orlando. If this is the case, why didn't they do the Brooklyn deal? Seems like Lopez is healthy now.

See you're saying you're not sure. From all accounts Bynum wasn't interested in doing it from the outset.

How am I or anyone suppose to really know why they didn't trade for Blake. Remember Blake was a free agent they may not have traded for him on the basis that they would have had too many variables and would not have been able to trade him as speedily as they may have liked we really don't know the details its all speculation but conventional wisdom tells us that they would have done much better making a deal and then a follow up deal than taking this one on its own. They would have come out better in that way. They however had their reasons why they chose not to.

Seems they want to re-build from scratch.

Trading for Bynum would not have hampered that really. Would have just made the process of doing so a bit longer.

Raph12
08-10-2012, 01:40 AM
i really dont know what the magics were thinking

this was absolutely a terrible deal

Better than the carton of cigarettes they got for Shaq or the box of candy the Cavs got for Lebron or the stench of turtle-**** the Raps got rid of after they traded for Bosh... Stop hating dude, Heat got stacked, now they finally have competition.

Lakers + Giants
08-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Nets fans, they mad.

D1JM
08-10-2012, 02:08 AM
lopez a top 5 center?

Toastyy
08-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Lopez is not a too 5 center

NBAFan2012
08-10-2012, 03:01 AM
ahhh... here we go with the "u mad" teenage girl phrases....

but yes, people are "mad"

its very "funny"

RipCity32
08-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Nets fans are killing me right now

sunsfan88
08-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Where the people who said Hennigan would be a good GM since he learned under Sam Presti in OKC?

ewmania
08-10-2012, 03:07 AM
lol @ brooke being a top 5 center

i guess, dwight, bynum, marc gasol, perkins, tyson chandler, dont exist lol

he's not even better than gortat lol

Saad
08-10-2012, 03:11 AM
I think it is because the Magic were in full rebuild mode, whats the point in getting some value back and the mid-late draft picks? But who knows.

Saad
08-10-2012, 03:13 AM

lol wut? top 5? Replace him with Ibaka, Garnett Last season, or even Hibbert...

THE MTL
08-10-2012, 03:14 AM

Scratch perkins from that list (Lopez > Perkins). But then add Hibbert, Monroe, Cousins to that list :D lol.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Doesn't take away the idiotic moves the Nets GM made this summer.

I hope you're joking.

The Nets completely overhauled their team, they went from a bottom 5 team to a playoff team.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Nets fans are killing me right now

Besides myself just posting and one other Net fan who said "K", what "Nets fans" are you referring too. The OP is a Knicks fan.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2012, 03:21 AM
^ meh who cares buddy. Just let people talk, hope all is well my friend :)

Hellcrooner
08-10-2012, 03:25 AM

or. bogut, nene, noah, pekovic......crap he is falling out of the top 10!!!!

LakerPride
08-10-2012, 03:35 AM
because one team reportedly involved in the multi-team trade backed out...

RipCity32
08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Besides myself just posting and one other Net fan who said "K", what "Nets fans" are you referring too. The OP is a Knicks fan.

Hey, I looked in your forum and it was pretty funny.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Hey, I looked in your forum and it was pretty funny.

Not sure what you're referencing? We seem to have a vast majority of intelligent posters in our Nets section.

RipCity32
08-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Not sure what you're referencing? We seem to have a vast majority of intelligent posters in our Nets section.

actually I will apologize Im exaggerating it out no offense to you or the other intelligent Nets posters.

Bulls_fan90
08-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Nets are financially ****ed now that Dwight is in LA. Enjoy mediocrity for the next 4 years.

STL Don
08-10-2012, 04:48 AM

Do u realize that they basically traded. 3 firsts, 2 2nds, and bynum for nash and howard. Unbelievable.

Ayend Odom.
..if that helps

Faberg
08-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Nets are financially ****ed now that Dwight is in LA. Enjoy mediocrity for the next 4 years.

I'm not a Nets fan, but they're going to be better than they were the past 5 years.

So if being competitive = being mediocre then so be it.

Aust
08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
When it rains, it pours

Some like shouting rape just to shout rape

knicks=love
08-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Top 5? Bynum, Dwight, Chandler, Noah, Bogut (when healthy), Marc Gasol are ones I would take easily over Lopez. I'd even take spencer hawes over him. Lopez is trash as a 7 footer.

Bulls_fan90
08-10-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm not a Nets fan, but they're going to be better than they were the past 5 years.

So if being competitive = being mediocre then so be it.

They will be MUCH better. It's hard not to be, since they have been beyond awful. But they find themselves in a similar position to the Hawks (of the past few seasons).

The Ooh Child
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Because Mo Harkless, that's why

Heediot
08-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Brutal trade. I guess Orlando didn't want him in the east.

crazyru
08-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Maybe Orlando never wanted to give Lopez a max deal and didn't want to take the chance of losing Bynum..

Its not just as easy as saying they failed.

All in all, I'm ecstatic they didn't do the deal. THE SIXERS GOT BYNUM!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::cla p::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :clap::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechl ess::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechles s:

NJDrew2
Wow. People REALLY hate the Nets here. I get that fans of other teams can be annoying sometimes, but DAMN.

kobebabe
You go that hurt? You keep making these threads like they would ake u feel any better

LongIslandIcedZ
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I think part of it is them having too much pride to give into Dwights demands. On top of that, it sounds like they really dont trust Lopez is going to be healthy/play up to that contract. It sucks that they gave away an incredible player and didnt get much else, but now they are completely rebuilding and have an opportunity for the first overall pick for the next couple of years.

ellisgw
08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Nets also offered them brooks, Lopez, 6 pick in draft and the most hated
Man in the nba, while taking the bad contracts.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Surprised Loserway isnt in here crying

DR_1
08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Since when is Brook Lopez a top 5 center :laugh:

looka09
08-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

1m Adrian Wojnarowski Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would've taken bad deals (cont.)

BklynKnicks3
08-10-2012, 10:23 AM
magic deal not horrible because now they can suck and get a star again. I rather get nothing then Lopez for max

jimm120
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Final Nets offer Orlando rejected in July: Lopez, Humphries (1 year, $9.6M), Brooks, 4 unprotected No. 1's for Howard, JRich, Duhon, Clark.

vs.

Harrington, Aflallo, Harkless and Vucevic and 3 PROTECTED firsts.

And the worst part was that the offer at the deadline was even better, because it had \Lopez without the big extension, still had Brooks, and would have also netted them a top 10 pick this year (turned out to be #6) and would have still given them 3 unprotected picks.

So yeah, the |Nets' offer got worse but it was still better than this offer.

jimm120
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
magic deal not horrible because now they can suck and get a star again. I rather get nothing then Lopez for max

yeah, but the Nets picks were better than the Nuggets picks...

rsweene
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Thats why 30 year olds are not hired as GMs

BKLYNpigeon
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I dont know why Lopez get so much hate on PSD.

people easily forget bout a player when he's been injured for a year. Lopez may not be top 5, but he is a very productive player.

Please tell me how many Centers in the NBA are 24 years old, 7 feet tall and has average close to 20 points a game?? not many. He's young and not at his prime yet. he can learn to be a better defender and rebounder.

BKLYNpigeon
08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Nets offer was better then what anyone else could offer.

this is what happens when you wait too long. sucks for orlando.

knicks=love
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I dont know why Lopez get so much hate on PSD.

people easily forget bout a player when he's been injured for a year. Lopez may not be top 5, but he is a very productive player.

Please tell me how many Centers in the NBA are 24 years old, 7 feet tall and has average close to 20 points a game?? not many. He's young and not at his prime yet. he can learn to be a better defender and rebounder.

I can name a 24 year old that's 7 feet tall and can't grab rebounds.. :shrug:

tnewkirk
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Since when is Brook Lopez a top 5 center :laugh:

whos top 5.

utl768
08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
magic are stupid

EDUTEXANS
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
One thing that makes the trade even worse, they just signed Jameer frakin' Nelson for 8 million a season

rapjuicer06
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Orlando fan here. Talent wise, we got raped. No doubt about it. Franchise going forward though, got a big relief and can start over. They weren't going to win with the roster they had with Dwight on it, and they had no way of doing anything at all.

They now got rid of J-Rich/Duhon/Clark contracts. Harrington/Turkyglue contract next year are not fully guaranteed. They will be bought out.

They now can trade Redick and Nelson and get back young players/picks for them. Hell they can trade Afflalo and get a pretty decent pick back for him as well.

Orlando hit the reboot button, and its a flat out reboot. Not starting over with a certain player. They will suck this year, next year getting top 5 picks both years. This is exactly what the Sonics/Thunder did. They sucked and drafted very well. Which Orlando will try and do and develop their young players. Zeller/Noel next year could be in Orlando. Thats not too bad IMO. Good way to start a rebuild

jetsfan28
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm so ****ing tired of people bringing up this stupid tweet already. Humphries got 2 years, 24 mill. He turned down a chance to take a 1 year deal and go to Cleveland. Where the **** are people getting this idea that he would have signed a 1 year, $9.6 million deal when he had all the leverage?

A deal like this was always contingent upon Humphries accepting a 1 year deal, which he never would have done. It wouldn't have happened.

KnicksorBust
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
The Nets offer was worse. They don't get a chance to bottom out and rebuild through the draft plus their stuck with Brook Lopez and his atrocious contract.

jetsfan28
08-10-2012, 11:58 AM
The Nets offer was worse. They don't get a chance to bottom out and rebuild through the draft plus their stuck with Brook Lopez and his atrocious contract.

I'm confused. Are you saying you wouldn't want to give a max contract to a center with a robust 7.7 rebound percentage last year (good for a spectacular 3.6 per game)?

The Best Around
08-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah the Magic messed up. A deal could have been done without Humphries even if Humphries held up. I'd still take Lopez, 4 1sts, Brooks, and some other filler contract like Morrow. Then that way you can rebuild but you have a nice SG and a top 5-10 center. Now they literally have nothing....Afflalo is a rip-off and the picks that they have won't be good.

You guys are missing the point. You don't trade a top player and just "start over". Denver got Gallinari, New Orleans got Eric Gordon, and Orlando should have gotten Brook Lopez.

jetsfan28
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah the Magic messed up. A deal could have been done without Humphries even if Humphries held up. I'd still take Lopez, 4 1sts, Brooks, and some other filler contract like Morrow. Then that way you can rebuild but you have a nice SG and a top 5-10 center. Now they literally have nothing....Afflalo is a rip-off and the picks that they have won't be good.

How exactly? How are you making this deal happen without the $10 million or so Humphries adds to the cap value the Nets are sending back in the trade?

The Best Around
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
How exactly? How are you making this deal happen without the $10 million or so Humphries adds to the cap value the Nets are sending back in the trade?

Lopez, Brooks, and Morrow = Howard (salary-wise). Petro and DeShawn Stevenson = J-Rich.

So Orlando could have gotten a good young center, a proven solid young SG, 3 garbage pieces ALL with expiring contracts, and 4 1st round picks while getting rid of J-Rich anyway.

bartron_44
08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I can't believe the Lakers were able to add Steve Nash and Dwight Howard without giving up Pau Gasol...not to mention Jamison for 1.3M

Howard
Gasol
Jamison
Bryant
Nash

Wow

aztr0
08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Who cares. Russian Owner fails at negotiating, and failed at getting Dwight Howard. Now he has to deal with a past his prime Joe Johnson and his god awful contract along with an already awful contract to Brook Lopaz.

Move on.

The man is worth 17 billion and he fails at negotiating? Uh huh....

Funny how everyone bagged and dogged the Nets deal, but now claim its the best deal when its all set and done. :facepalm:

Swashcuff
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
GMs around the league are reportedly baffled as to why the Magic would do this deal.

fresh prince
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM

In this new NBA you either want to be a legit title contender or suck really badly so you can re-build through the draft. With the accepted trade I think it's clear the Magic opted to go the suck very badly route.

rapjuicer06
08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Funny how there are plenty of people in here saying the Nets deal was still trash and you can't read :facepalm:

Pistol_Pete
08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't understand. Why would the Nets unprotected first rounders be worse than the Lakers protected first with Kobe/Gasol/DH/Nash, and a first rounder from decent teams in Philly and Denver? There seem to be a bunch of people here who think the Net won't be good, so wouldn't that increase the value of their picks?

I'm biased, because I wanted Dwight on the Nets, but still, I think the Nets offer was better. I can however see the Magic thinking in that they didn't want to overpay for Lopez, and maybe not wanting Howard in the East. Lopez' career stats are 17pg, 7.5rpg, 1.6bg. That's not bad. And other teams were willing to max him out, so as much as he is overpaid (and he is, almost every player is), it wasn't just the Nets.

There are reasons to dislike the Nets offer, but I still think it was the best on the table. All this does now is bring up "Dwight won't re-sign, wants a 3 way trade with Lopez goind to an tbd team, tba player going to the Lakers, Dwight going to Brooklyn."

It would be amazing if Howard walked and signed with the Nets for like 1.6M next season. I've always said though, if he gets traded to LA, he'll likely stay.

LOOTERX9
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Orlando has screwed themselves and it was all for nothing. They should have made the trade for Lopez and those picks from Nets. makes no sense

koreancabbage
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Orlando has screwed themselves and it was all for nothing. They should have made the trade for Lopez and those picks from Nets. makes no sense

they don't want Lopez and his max contract.

they did exactly what they needed to do. reboot the machine. with lopez you're just gonna get an overpaid star with no chance of winning. and paying his salary as well. no point in doing that.

rapjuicer06
08-10-2012, 02:24 PM

they did exactly what they needed to do. reboot the machine. with lopez you're just gonna get an overpaid star with no chance of winning. and paying his salary as well. no point in doing that.

That word is being used carelessly lol. Lopez is not a star.

No point in Orlando getting a max'd out C who can't rebound and has foot issues...gosh people are stupid

jmoney85
08-10-2012, 02:27 PM

the magic will never get a player of brooks caliber without giving him a max contract.... this is the same organization that gave rashard lewis 126 million thats well over double of what brook lopez got