PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard's Offensive Improvement Potential

Raph12
08-09-2012, 11:41 PM
With Steve Nash getting him easier baskets, Kobe taking so much pressure off of him and training/learning from Pau in practices; how good can Dwight become offensively?

He's averaged 23ppg in 2011 while creating most of his shots and a limited arsenal in the post; considering all of the factors listed above, will Dwight become the dominant offensive force LA needs him to be after the 30-somethings are gone?

LoveMeOrHateMe
08-09-2012, 11:55 PM
He will get his points in much easier fashion but idk if he can improve that much more!
But hopefully for us laker fans he can!!

shep33
08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Nash is going to get him buckets. Playing alongside the most unselfish PF in the game will help too

kendodgerfan
08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
He does not need to score more. Defense and rebounds and 23 ppg is plenty with who he has on this team.

NFLNBA
08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Almost unfair when you start thinking about it

Aust
08-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Gasol's passing ability matched with Nash and Howard being two of the best pick and roll players, not to mention teams are going to have a tough time deciding on who to double team

Raph12
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
My question is not if Dwight will improve his numbers with Nash, Kobe and Pau; my question is that after playing with those guys, will Dwight's offensive game become dominant enough to carry the Lakers in the post-Kobe/Nash/Pau era?

Whomewhome
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes he can. My biggest concern for the Lakers is their expectations of Nash. He is old, you are not PHX nor do you have the medical capabilities they have. Temper your expectations of Nash and his playing time. or else come playoffs he will be puffing in a hospital

bigsams50
08-10-2012, 08:12 AM
His offensive efficiency this season is going to be insane. He will get many easy looks. Kinda scary when you think about it

kblo247
08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
My question is not if Dwight will improve his numbers with Nash, Kobe and Pau; my question is that after playing with those guys, will Dwight's offensive game become dominant enough to carry the Lakers in the post-Kobe/Nash/Pau era?

I think he will get better, but I also think LA will get the tools he needs in other players and even coaches. The thing about scoring is Bynum scored off more lobs than Dwight last year, so Dwight could see his ppg stay the same or rise.

There is one thing for certain though the Kobe factor will come into play like it did for Shaq, Pau, Andrew, Lamar, Mihm, and Kwame ... His fg% will go up even if his attempts stay the same because Kobe is one of the best in history elevating his bigs efficent scoring wise, even last year as Bynum shot 42% in the games he lost and his ts/efg dipped 3-5% whenever Kobe sat, while Kobe's %s and side scoring increased without Bynum on the floor because he likes the room in the triple threat without Andrew clogging the lane. I think they both will thrive off Deights mobility.

In the meantime Dwight may learn a few tricks. In fact I would bet money Shaq does the PR thing and reaches out to help him become the next great Laker just to look good in the eyes of fans and brass for a jersey retirement and possible statue

GrumpyOldMan
08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
He won't be the first offensive option with the Lakers, so being in the 16-20ppg range would be great for Dwight. He will be a difference maker on defense for them and that is how he will help the Lakers the most IMO.

kblo247
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes he can. My biggest concern for the Lakers is their expectations of Nash. He is old, you are not PHX nor do you have the medical capabilities they have. Temper your expectations of Nash and his playing time. or else come playoffs he will be puffing in a hospital

Vitti ain't exactly a joke, as he has gotten Kobe thru back injuries, separated shoulders, knees that had to be drained 4 times one postseason, broken fingers, and a wrist ligament that was torn. He will put in work to keep him ready.

I think Dwight may help Nash and even Kobe as he will put teams int he penalty and allow them to get more free throws off less work as they won't be the ones to force their teams way into the penalty

Donuts365
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
hes still testing fas who knows where hed end up

Raph12
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
^He won't leave the city that will embrace him with open arms and a team that he knows will continue to build a contender around him year after year... The Lakers have made the Finals almost half of the time they've been in the league (since the beginning); safe to say they know how to make winners.

LakersMaster24
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I think Pau and Kareem will help him improve.

Lik a somboodee
08-10-2012, 02:34 PM
He will prolly rarely touch the ball but he will rebound all of Kobe bricked shots and dunk them in cuz other than that he will not score cuz he has no post game what so ever

Robbw241
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Free Throws

Chronz
08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
There is one thing for certain though the Kobe factor will come into play like it did for Shaq, Pau, Andrew, Lamar, Mihm, and Kwame ... His fg% will go up even if his attempts stay the same because Kobe is one of the best in history elevating his bigs efficent scoring wise, even last year as Bynum shot 42% in the games he lost and his ts/efg dipped 3-5% whenever Kobe sat, while Kobe's %s and side scoring increased without Bynum on the floor because he likes the room in the triple threat without Andrew clogging the lane. I think they both will thrive off Deights mobility.
Do you have the on/off court number for Kobe in these situations? By the numbers, in the 600 minutes Bynum played without Kobe his scoring rate increased as did his rate of FT/A, Assists. His FG% did suffer by about 4pts tho, but thats to be expected with more of a scoring burden. The year before Bynum only played 373 minutes without Kobe but his FG% remained the same but his scoring, fta, assist rates all climbed as well.