PDA

View Full Version : 90s Playoffs: Super Mario Conference Finals 1. Wollongong vs 3. Minneapolis

NYKalltheway
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the 90s redraft from the Knicks forum. This game involves players who have featured at any game between 1989-90 season until 1999-2000 season and players should be judged on their primes and not their 90s career.

Wollongong

PG: Derek Fisher/Penny Hardaway/Alvin Williams
SG: Michael Jordan/Tyrone Corbin
SF: Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway/Keith Van Horn/Devean George
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Thurl Bailey
C: Ben Wallace/Rasho Nesterovic

Minneapolis

PG: Mark Price/Damon Stoudamire/Malik Rose
SG: Richard Hamilton/Wally Szczerbiak
SF: Mark Aguirre/Pat Garrity
PF: Tim Duncan/Joe Smith/Bo Outlaw
C: Joe Carroll/James Edwards

Killerjug
08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Good Luck Eagles :cheers:

Eagles4Lyfe
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Good luck to you too KJ, would've loved to send a write up to have a debate but wasn't sure when the deadline was, but I'm happy to debate in here

Killerjug
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
well before it gets too bad i'll say a few things. While MJ is the greatest and will definitely get his in this series Rip is a solid defender that can at least slow him down a bit. I feel my team has a very good #1 option in Duncan #2 option in Price and #3 option in Aguirre. Carroll while not very good defensively was a solid offensive player and his defense won't be exposed playing against Ben Wallace. Also with Duncan being a great defensive player it's going to be tough for Wollongong to get very many inside points with Ben Wallace being very ineffective offensively and Rasheed being severely limited due to Duncan

NYKalltheway
08-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll explain my vote.

Of course MJ team is very good and with some great players around MJ but I feel Wollongong does not have an answer for the Price-Duncan duo. And a prime Rip on Jordan could mean that MJ does not win this on his own. Doubt he stops him from scoring 35-40 a game but he will limit his offensive effect (playmaking, ball distribution etc) imo.
Joe Carroll vs Ben Wallace sounds a bit epic :D

Eagles4Lyfe
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
well before it gets too bad i'll say a few things. While MJ is the greatest and will definitely get his in this series Rip is a solid defender that can at least slow him down a bit. I feel my team has a very good #1 option in Duncan #2 option in Price and #3 option in Aguirre. Carroll while not very good defensively was a solid offensive player and his defense won't be exposed playing against Ben Wallace. Also with Duncan being a great defensive player it's going to be tough for Wollongong to get very many inside points with Ben Wallace being very ineffective offensively and Rasheed being severely limited due to Duncan

I like to respectfully reply to this.

There is no slowing down MJ, even the elite of defenders can never hold or contain MJ, he's just a special specimen thats hard to keep up with ala Lebron currently.

Not to mention Rip's offense relies solely on running around and trying to get free of space, guarding Lebron will tire him out and limit him offensively as he won't have nearly the amount of energy needed to be effective on either side.

Mark Price is a very solid PG, but D-Fish is great at drawing charges and pesturing opposing PG's where it would be awfully hard for Price to consistantly be the play maker he is. If D-Fish does struggle trying to hold Price, I can always put the lanky and quick Penny on him rotating MJ on Aguirre and Fish chasing Rip around on screens something he's been capable of doing his whole career.

As for Duncan defending Sheed, we will live with the big fundamental out on the perimeter or caught up in PnR's all day long because it takes away a great rebounder leaving Big Ben one of the best rebounders of all time in the NBA fighting for offensive boards if there is any.

Offensively its proven Timmy D has been inefficient offensively when matched up against Big Ben, as the numbers in the playoffs are as follows for Timmy D.
He averages 20 PPG, however it takes him 18 FGA attempts to do this, which we'll take all day long because once behind it'll be really hard for them to catch up to us as our offense really will be unstoppable for them..

We also like to point out that Big Ben Wallace who isn't known for his offense averages 10 points and 3 boards and 10 boards when facing off against Tim Duncan in the playoffs.

Killerjug
08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
While I agree there is no completely stopping MJ, like NYK said we feel Rip can do enough to alter him a bit. And also with Fisher sure he can draw some charges but he's never been a great defender and Price would definitely take advantage of this. And while you may be able to draw Duncan out, there is still no consistent down low offense. Sure MJ and Penny will get some through driving and Ben may get a put back or two but with no real post option its a lot less balanced

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
The Wallaces nearly overcame Duncan in 2005. That was post-prime Sheed and Michael Jordan wasn't in the picture.

Honestly I think Minneapolis fits together much better than Wollongong and I sincerely believe Mark Price would make a joke out of Derek Fisher, but the series is close. Best player, best defense, and homecourt advantage goes to Wollongong.

juggla53
08-09-2012, 06:33 PM
As great as duncan is he has one of the best defensive big men in league history guarding him, this means he wont be throwing up the 30+ pts and 15+ reb games he made look easy when he was in his prime. and to me minny needs those types of games to win

if the argument is made that rip will atleast be able to slow down mj a bit (which im not sure i believe) then timmy is going to have a very difficult series

Eagles4Lyfe
08-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Since my man is probably busy at camp I'll bump it for him. More votes please

BlondeBomber41
08-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Shocking, Michael Jordan wins again. This game was over before it ever began. As long as you don't massively screw up Michael Jordan = win in any game.

aussie
08-10-2012, 02:44 AM
im here to killer ;)

NYKalltheway
08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
bumping this massacre up

Killerjug
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
:(

NYKalltheway
08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
bump

Eagles4Lyfe
08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
bump

DreamShaker
08-13-2012, 03:44 AM
As much as I love Duncan and Price, I gotta go with the team with MJ/Penny and the Wallace boys, who always gave Duncan trouble.