PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 3 New York Knicks vs. 6 Milwaukee Bucks

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Knicks have homecourt advantage in this Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series.

Knicks Depth Chart:

PG: Jose Calderon (37) || Gary Forbes(11) || Baron Davis
SG: Iman Shumpert(35)|| Kyle Korver(13) || Gary Forbes
SF: Danilio Gallinari(36)|| Kyle Korver(12)
PF: Dirk Nowitzki(38) || Jared Jeffries(10) || Shelden Williams
C: DeAndre Jordan (28)|| Greg Steimsma (20)|| Shelden Williams || || Miles Plumlee

Bucks Depth Chart:

PG: Andre Miller/C.J Watson/Rodrigue Beaubois
SG: Monta Ellis/Delonte West/Vince Carter
SF: Gerald Wallace/Carlos Delfino/Josh Howard
PF: Carlos Boozer/Jason Maxiell/Jon Leuer
C: Joakim Noah/Nazr Mohammed/Mehmet Okur

Knicks Write-up:

First off, I’d like to congratulate Phlp and Bn1F on one of the best GM jobs I’ve ever seen in a mock game. They took an awful team with the Bucks and turned them into a very fine ballclub. However, they will unfortunately be a 1st round exit.

Offensive Philosophy:

Our offense will run through former finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki. His ability to score from anywhere on the floor as well as fit in a variety of different systems makes him one of the most dangerous offensive players still in the game today. The roster around him fits like a glove offensively filled with shooters and excellent passers to work on getting him easy and open looks. Dirk, Gallinari, and Calderon is absolutely an ideal offensive trio. With Gallo and Calderon both being top tier passers for their respective positions, they will be able to create an assortment of easy looks for Dirk and our other teammates. Both Gallo and Calderon excel as PnR ball-handlers which the Bucks to account for more potential offensive sets and weapons. In addition, Boozer having to guard Dirk is a tremendous advantage for the Knicks. His regression in play the past few years as been well documented and would be on display during this match-up. Boozer allowed opponents .89 PPP overall (rank 302) and allowed opponents to shoot 41% from the field.
In addition, the Gerald Wallace match-up on Gallo is another that bodes tremendously well for New York. Gerald Wallace is flat out not the same player he once was on either end of the court. He’s lost almost all of his defensive prowess and was a liability on that end of the floor with Nets last season. His 0.95 PPP allowed was good for 398th in the NBA and he allowed opponents to shoot 44% from the field. Gallo on the other hand, remains one of the most effective and efficient scorers in the game. His offensive game is perfectly suited for a #2 role opposite of Dirk and I see him taking advantage of this match-up on both ends of the court

Defensive Philosophy:

The Bucks have 2 offensive scoring weapons to be concerned with: Monta Ellis, and Carlos Boozer. Luckily for us, we have one of the breakout defensive stars from last season, Iman Shumpert to give Monta a difficult match-up to face all series long. Iman has the size and athleticism to makeit difficult for Monta to score or create. Iman’s ISO defensive numbers from last season were excellent only allowing opponents to score 0.69 PPP and shoot 33% from the field in ISO situations. Considering Monta almost always has the ball in his hands, this bodes well for the Knicks as a defensive match-up.
Boozer is another guy we’re comfortable with being able to contain. He flat out is not a 20-10 player anymore; it’s just not in the cards for his game. However, Dirk has shown the ability to play capable defense when needed and we can turn to Jared Jeffries off the bench to play some key defensive minutes when needed. He has to be a 20+ scorer again for this Bucks team to be effective, we just do not think that is possible for Boozer to attain in this series.

Also, our defense will be anchored by two of the best shot-blockers in the NBA last season, DeAndre Jordan, and Greg Steimsma. This allows us to have 48 minutes of quality rim protecting and post defense. While neither guy can do much offensively, they are in the game to protect the rim and be defensive forces.
Besides containing Monta and Boozer, another plan is to let the Bucks beat us from outside. Not a single outside shooting option exists in the starting 5 which means most of their scoring will be from penetration or post play. We will gladly accept Monta Ellis as their best 3 point shooter with a 30% 3pt average

Bench Comparison:

Watson/West/Delfino/Maxiel/Nazr VS Forbes/Korver/Jeffries/Steimsma

The benches are both fairly even in terms of talent, need, and fit with the squad. New York has 2 excellent defensive bench bigs who know there role and one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA in Korver to turn to as our 8 man rotation. Maxiel and Nazr are certainly not Gibson and Asik as far as back-ups for Boozer and Noah and It’s not likely West will get a lot of time playing behind Monta. While our bench isn’t overly talented, it compliments perfectly with our starting 5 and will provide valuable minutes when needed.

Why we win this match-up:
The Bucks will not be able to contain our offensive system. This squad was designed to play off each other’s playstyle and compliment each other’s skills perfectly. The Bucks cannot say the same with their roster. There is absolutely no outside shooting presence on this team outside of an incredibly inefficient Monta Ellis. Defensively, the Knicks have the ability to contain there top 2 offensive options along with having 2 of the best goalies in the game with DeAndre Jordan and Greg Steimsma as very capable defensive anchors.

PG: Jose Calderon (37) || Gary Forbes(11) || Baron Davis
SG: Iman Shumpert(35)|| Kyle Korver(13) || Gary Forbes
SF: Danilio Gallinari(36)|| Kyle Korver(12)
PF: Dirk Nowitzki(38) || Jared Jeffries(10) || Shelden Williams
C: DeAndre Jordan (28)|| Greg Steimsma (20)|| Shelden Williams || || Miles Plumlee

Bucks Write-up:

Depth Chart:
PG: Andre Miller/C.J Watson/Rodrigue Beaubois
SG: Monta Ellis/Delonte West/Vince Carter
SF: Gerald Wallace/Carlos Delfino/Josh Howard
PF: Joakim Noah/Jason Maxiell/Jon Leuer
C: Carlos Boozer/Nazr Mohammed/Mehmet Okur

Back-Court

PG: Andre Miller vs. Jose Calderon - Miller is the perfect point guard to compliment Ellis for our squad. He isn't a scorer that will demand the ball, but he isn't terrible offensively either. He is the veteran that will get the ball to the open guys and take the pressure off of Ellis as a quality second ball handler. Both aren't great defensively, so Miller will be fine to stand in front of Calderon. With more than enough depth, foul trouble wouldn't be a problem either.

SG: Monta Ellis vs. Iman Shumpert - This is one of the key matchups of this series. Ellis is our primary go to scorer, which he has shown he could do. He can be the 20+ ppg scorer on a team that lacks another major scoring threat. He can score in an array of ways and torture Shumpert. Although Shumpert is known for his defense, Monta's offense is just too powerful even with Shumpert playing great defense. In the following video, Ellis torched the Knicks this past season with Shumpert defending him. Ellis will get his shots whenever he wants and will put up big numbers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzGZTPjvmc

SF: Gerald Wallace vs. Danilo Gallinari - This is the classic matchup of offense vs. defense. Gallo is primary known as an offensive threat whereas Wallace has always been known as one of the best wing defenders in the league. Wallace should be able to shut down Gallo to less than 20 points. In order for the Knicks to win, Gallo needs to provide big numbers and be the quality second option to Dirk, but Wallace would stop him from doing that with his wingspan. We also have plenty of wing depth to throw at Gallo throughout the game. Wallace can score as well. Last season, he put up big numbers against Kevin Durant, which can be seen from the following video. If he can put up 40 points against KD, he can easily torch Gallo for a big game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBhKee1Ge6k

Front-Court

PF: Joakim Noah vs. Dirk Nowitzki - We are fully aware that Noah is a center and not a power forward, but we are playing matchups here and maximizing Noah's strength, which is defense. Putting Noah on Dirk is a lot better than Boozer on Dirk. Noah has great footwork and is one of the best post defenders in the league. He can easily stick with Dirk and cause problems for him. Noah can also defend out on the wings and the mid range since Dirk shoots a lot more at those spots than in the post. Since 2011, Joakim Noah has shut down Dirk. Dirk is only averaging 18 PPG - 5 RPG on 38% shooting and all in 35 MPG. The Bulls won every game since 2011 in large part because Noah is able to shut down Dirk. Noah is an ideal defender on Dirk because he is tall, long, and has the agility to stay with Dirk no matter where Dirk is, whether it's in the post, on the perimeter, etc. Offensively, Noah's intensity will force Dirk to play defense, which he has never been known for. Also, Noah is one of the best passing big men in the league and will bring another aspect to the game in that sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPbh1nklYU

C: Carlos Boozer vs. DeAndre Jordan - Boozer is very good from the mid range. His mid range shot and pick and roll abilities are one of the best in the league. Defensively, he has never been solid, but going up against DJ, he doesn't need to be. All he has to do is hold his ground. DJ rarely shoots from the mid range nor is he very efficient in his post game. He thrives in the putbacks and alley oops, which Boozer can easily put his body for. DJ will also be forced to defend the mid range now, which he isn't used to. He usually goes up against centers who are great at the post. This will be a different aspect that will cause problems for DJ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbYT1Q6b4k8

Bench: We clearly have the better bench. We are 15 men deep and any of the guys on our bench could start for many teams in the league. Having them on our bench is a luxury for us. The Knicks have a poor bench. Forbes is their backup PG and Baron is their third string. Aside from Calderon, they have no quality backup to come anchor the point guard position when Calderon sits. Korver is just a outside shooter and plays no defense. We have plenty of men to stick on Korver to disrupt his game. Overall, our bench just destroys their bench and depth is one of the keys to our team.

SugeKnight
08-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Going with an upset here. NYK's defense isn't stopping anyone.

PocketKings
08-09-2012, 02:37 AM
This is an incredibly interesting match-up.

I'll definitely have to think about this match-up a bit longer before voting, but it definitely is an interesting one.

The_Jamal
08-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Going with an upset here. NYK's defense isn't stopping anyone.

And the Bucks are? Gerald Wallace is a shell of his former self. He hasn't played anywhere close to elite defense the past 2 seasons and is living off of name value at this point. Miller and Monta play absolutely no defense. Boozer benefits big time from playing with 3 excellent defensive bigs in Chicago and now he has Noah chasing Dirk on defense losing his rim protector.

I won't pretend to have a dominant defensive squad, but Iman, DJ, and Gallo are all above average defensively and the Bucks do not have the right match-ups to take advantage of my one true defensive weakness, Calderon.

The_Jamal
08-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Also, the vote is actually 3-5 in favor of the Bucks. They have 2 votes with less than 100 posts

RocketsRule
08-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Love the way the Bucks match-up here. Going with them in a tight contest.

Knicks21
08-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Bucks have limited scoring, knicks have a limited bench, tough matchup.

roshan3ai
08-09-2012, 11:29 AM
When did Jamal get Iman and Gallo? :drool: My two favorite players. I'll think about this one a bit more though. Good matchup

Super.
08-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I smell an upset!

Chucky Woods
08-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow the Bucks are deep...
Knicks have a great offense but little to no defensive skill.

Going with an upset.

Ill21
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Knicks with the slight advantage in this match up.

phlp_bj
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
leggoo Bucks!

phlp_bj
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Ellis video that doesn't work in writeup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzGZTPjvmc

Noah video that doesn't work in writeup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPbh1nklYU

PocketKings
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
You see the more I think about this match-up the more I ask myself who do I trust in the end to hit a big shot to maybe steal a game. The answer is Dirk.

Offensively I'm a fan of the Caldy - Gallo - Dirk trio. I think that trio is really efficient offensively.

I love the depth of Milwaukee but realistically in most playoff series teams are really only playing an 8-9 man rotation. This is such a strength for them though.

I think the Bucks constructed a really smart team around Monta but it has one huge defining weakness. Perimeter shooting. Even Monta isn't very efficient from 3. I think floor spacing for the Bucks starters is going to really hurt them in this series.

As of right now I'm leaning Knicks but still going to wait a bit before I cast my vote.

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Ellis video that doesn't work in writeup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzGZTPjvmc

Noah video that doesn't work in writeup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPbh1nklYU

Sorry I had got the other ones to work and forgot to put them in :o

EDIT: They should work in your write-up now.

phlp_bj
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Sorry I had got the other ones to work and forgot to put them in :o

It's all good Catty :)

The_Jamal
08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Boy, I sure do love people who vote without saying why....

NYKnickFanatic
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Boy, I sure do love people who vote without saying why....

Why?

I voted Bucks, they are just too deep for the Knicks to handle.

Knicks bench is weak as ****.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I voted Knicks because

Caldy is better than Miller
Iman can guard Ellis and at least limit him (better than Noah limits Dirk)
G-Force is only slightly better than Gallo
Dirk is the only tested big shot (in the playoffs) maker in the series and offensively Caldy fits well with him

BullsNumber1Fan
08-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I voted Knicks because

Caldy is better than Miller
Iman can guard Ellis and at least limit him (better than Noah limits Dirk)
G-Force is only slightly better than Gallo
Dirk is the only tested big shot (in the playoffs) maker in the series and offensively Caldy fits well with him

I'm sorry but that isn't true lol. Noah has shut Dirk down since 2011 and the Bulls have won every game. While Iman "shutting down" Monta consists of Monta getting 35 points & 10 assists in a win over the Knicks...

Jdawg
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
This looks like a case of everyone wanting that first upset. I don't see an upset happening here in my mind. Dirk is too much. Bucks will struggle to score at times.

Mr. Baller
08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Glad to see caring about the bench. Makes me feel better about my 2nd round.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Glad to see caring about the bench. Makes me feel better about my 2nd round.

:bla: Lol should be a good matchup.

xxplayerxx23
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Give me the bucks. The bucks are deep and Noah would give Dirk some trouble. Bucks in 7. Close matchup but the bench and the balance scoring leads me to think the Bucks would win the series.

Gagan136
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I see the Bucks winning this one, they have a deep team

The_Jamal
08-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Official vote tally:

19-25. I get 1 extra vote since the Bucks have 2 Co-GM's, and they currently have 3 votes with >100 posts

The_Jamal
08-09-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry but that isn't true lol. Noah has shut Dirk down since 2011 and the Bulls have won every game. While Iman "shutting down" Monta consists of Monta getting 35 points & 10 assists in a win over the Knicks...

Please. The Bucks have had a top tier defensive squad the last few years and easily the best defensive bigs rotation in the game. It's a huge stretch to say Noah along "shut down" Dirk. They don't even play the same position, how do you know that Noah was even on him?

Also to address a few things.

1. The Bucks lose any semblance of rim protection when they have Noah chasing Dirk all over the floor. Gallo, Calderon, and Shumpert will have a free run at the basket with Carlos Boozer in the post.

2. I would very much like to see Carlos Boozer try to front DJ from getting easy dunks and looks. With Noah away from the basket most of the game, Calderon and Gallo will have free reign to create around the rim. DeAndre is one of the best in the game at finishing and could very easily have one of the better stretches of his career with Boozer on him.

3. I don't understand where this "balanced" offensive attack from the Bucks is coming from. They have absolutely 0 outside spacing. All I have to do is pack the paint and wait the penetration of Monta, Miller, and Wallace. I'll gladly let Monta shoot 30% from 3 all series long.

4. They don't have anyone near the caliber of Dirk on the offensive end. You can say Noah will slow him down all you want, but the guy is still one of the top 5 offensive players in the game. Noah, who's used to protecting the basket, would be in foul trouble quite often.

5. Depth has never won anything in the playoffs. Notice how the best teams have always consisted of a 8-9 man rotation.

6. Gerald Wallace has fallen off a cliff. Do not fall victim to his name valuel; he isn't near the player he was 2 years ago. His offensive game has all but disappeared and he was absolutely atrocious defensively last season.

BullsNumber1Fan
08-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Please. The Bucks have had a top tier defensive squad the last few years and easily the best defensive bigs rotation in the game. It's a huge stretch to say Noah along "shut down" Dirk. They don't even play the same position, how do you know that Noah was even on him?

Also to address a few things.

1. The Bucks lose any semblance of rim protection when they have Noah chasing Dirk all over the floor. Gallo, Calderon, and Shumpert will have a free run at the basket with Carlos Boozer in the post.

2. I would very much like to see Carlos Boozer try to front DJ from getting easy dunks and looks. With Noah away from the basket most of the game, Calderon and Gallo will have free reign to create around the rim. DeAndre is one of the best in the game at finishing and could very easily have one of the better stretches of his career with Boozer on him.

3. I don't understand where this "balanced" offensive attack from the Bucks is coming from. They have absolutely 0 outside spacing. All I have to do is pack the paint and wait the penetration of Monta, Miller, and Wallace. I'll gladly let Monta shoot 30% from 3 all series long.

4. They don't have anyone near the caliber of Dirk on the offensive end. You can say Noah will slow him down all you want, but the guy is still one of the top 5 offensive players in the game. Noah, who's used to protecting the basket, would be in foul trouble quite often.

5. Depth has never won anything in the playoffs. Notice how the best teams have always consisted of a 8-9 man rotation.

6. Gerald Wallace has fallen off a cliff. Do not fall victim to his name valuel; he isn't near the player he was 2 years ago. His offensive game has all but disappeared and he was absolutely atrocious defensively last season.

1. I've watched every Bulls game since 2004 and Noah has been the one guarding Dirk whenever they are in the game together the last 2 years. So our goal here is to make your supporting cast beat us which we feel they can't really do.

2. What is DJ gonna do exactly? He has literally hit 1 shot in his career outside the paint. All you have to do is put a body in his chest, which Boozer can do. Not like DJ can overpower Boozer.

3. You say we have no shooting on our team, but EVERY wing on our bench can shoot the ball. CJ, Delonte, Rodrigue, VC, Delfino are all good shooters and they will space the floor for us. It's not like we are gonna run our starting lineup for all 48 minutes.

4. Again, this has been proved wrong over the past 2 seasons. Noah has locked down Dirk, and I don't use that lightly. He has made Dirk average 18/5 on 38% shooting in 35 mpg. That is locked down.

5. Depth has been key in plenty playoff runs. You have to have a competent bench to win. I can say we have a great bench, and outside of Korver and maybe Stiemsma, nobody else on your bench should really be playing meaningful playoff minutes. The fact you have to play Gary Forbes and Jared Jeffries REALLY hurts you.

6. He has fallen off a cliff, ay? On offensively, he surely hasn't. He has the same TS%, PER, OWS, an nearly every other offensive stat from 2012 as he did in 2011. The only difference on offense is he scored 1 PPG less on the Blazers, but averaged his usual 15/7 on 55 TS% with the Nets. And on defense, sure he slowed down a little, but not as dramatically as you make it sound.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=noahjo01&p2=nowitdi01

OK why can Noah all of a sudden SHUTDOWN Dirk?

In head to head matchups, Dirk is averaging over 27, with 36 and 44 point performances.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't know where the numbers in that writeup come from, but they are incorrect.

BullsNumber1Fan
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=noahjo01&p2=nowitdi01

In head to head matchups, Dirk is averaging over 27, with 36 and 44 point performances.

Because he had to play with the worst head coach in the league in Vinny Del Negro? That's a huge reason for it.

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM

:laugh2: I was expecting it to be three or four games when BN1F said "since 2011." One game is a joke of a sample size.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=gibsota01&p2=nowitdi01

Also vs. Dirk, Taj Gibson is averaging 27.4 minutes a game, and normally he averages 23.2. I wonder why the defensive specialist plays more vs. Dirk?

Also the 44 point game that Dirk had on the Bulls, Gibson was out of the lineup forcing Noah to guard Dirk. Guess we saw what happens in that match up.

BullsNumber1Fan
08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't know where the numbers in that writeup come from, but they are incorrect.

Here are the games since 2011...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=320421004

Dirk with 17 points & 7 rebounds on 7-16 shooting

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310120004

Dirk with 19 points & 2 rebounds on 6-16 shooting

Good enough AP? Sure it's only 2 games, but it's been 2 years. Not like Dirk got better since then...

Edit: Didn't notice that Noah didn't play one of the games. I deserve a :facepalm:

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Sorry man, just trying to point out facts/explain why I voted how I voted.

BullsNumber1Fan
08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Sorry man, just trying to point out facts/explain why I voted how I voted.

All good. I'm honestly thankful you explained why you voted lol. And you actually proved me wrong a little. For that I applaud you.:clap:

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
So in games which Noah is out, Dirk has 19, 26, and 27

When Gibson was out, Dirk goes for 44

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
All good. I'm honestly thankful you explained why you voted lol. And you actually proved me wrong a little. For that I applaud you.:clap:

No problem lol. And it might be more than a little haha. But it doesn't look like it will likely matter as you guys got a good lead.

Congrats you guys truly did one of the best GMing jobs in the mock.