PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 3 Los Angeles Lakers vs. 6 Oklahoma City Thunder

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Lakers have homecourt advantage in this Western Conference Quarterfinal series.

Lakers Depth Chart:

PG: Ty Lawson (37) / Jamaal Tinsley (11) / Andrew Goudelock
SG: Kobe Bryant (38) / Terrance Williams (10) / Bill Walker
SF: Chandler Parsons (35) / Terrance Williams (5) / Richard Jefferson (5) / Devin Ebanks (3)
PF: Blake Griffin (38) / Charlie Villenueva (7) / Chris Andersen (3)
C: Tyson Chandler (34) / Chris Andersen (14)

Thunder Depth Chart:

PG: Jarrett Jack / Ramon Sessions / Eric Maynor
SG: Thabo Sefolosha / Jason Richardson / Eric Maynor
SF: Kevin Durant / Mbah a Moute / Luke Babbitt
PF: Zach Randolph / Carl Landry / Quincy Acy
C: Kendrick Perkins/Cole Aldrich / Eric Dampier

Lakers Write-up:

Point Guard:
Ty Lawson/Jamaal Tinsley vs. Jarrett Jack/Ramon Sessions
Sessions and Jack are both very solid role/reserve players, but Ty Lawson is an up-and-coming star in this league and fits perfectly with our two star offensive players. Lawson plays very well off-the-ball (as he had to do with Andre Miller last year). Lawson excels in this role as he has shot 39% from the 3 point line for his career. He also fits with Blake Griffin very well because he can push the ball and has amazing speed to run the fast break with Blake. Lawson is also a very good assist man with his 6.6 apg numbers last year. He is also very capable defender, with ability to pressure Jack and force some turnovers.

Advantage: LAWSON - LAKERS

Shooting Guard:
Kobe Bryant/Terrance Williams vs. Thabo Sefolosha/Jason Richardson
Thabo Sefolosha is a superb defender and will be asked to guard Kobe Bryant like he has had to in the past. But as Kobe has shown over the last few years, even Sefolosha canít contain Kobe. In the playoffs last year, Kobe had 42, 38, and 36 point games against Sefolosha. Kobe has averaged 27 ppg in the playoffs vs. Sefolosha in his career. Sefolosha will not test Kobe very much at all defensively and Kobe will have plenty of energy for offense cause he can guard him instead of a Westbrook or Harden type player.

Advantage: BRYANT - LAKERS

Small Forward:
Chandler Parsons/Terrance Williams vs. Kevin Durant/Luc Mbah a Moute
Kevin Durant has emerged as the second best player in the game today. He will get his points in this series too, but Chandler Parsons is at least a guy that can match up with him and try to limit him. Durantís big advantage over every SF he plays against is his length, but at least Parsons (DRtg - 105) can match him in that regard. Both players are 6í9. Durantís main weapon (among his many weapons is his jumper), however when matched up with Parsons, Durant only shot 33% from 3 and we will have Tyson Chandler to help protect the rim from Durant drives. Parsons is solid scorer with his 9.5 ppg average his rookie year.

Advantage: DURANT - THUNDER

Power Forward:
Blake Griffin/Charlie Villanueva vs. Zach Randolph/Carl Landry
Randolph and Griffin are both top 10 power forwards in the game. However in the playoffs the cream rose to the top last year in the playoffs. In a head to head match-up in the playoffs last year (7 games, each averaged 35.4 minutes). Blake Griffin averaged 18 ppg, while ZBo averaged 13.7 ppg. An added advantage in this series for Griffin is that he can guard Kendrick Perkins and avoid being tested on defense. Randolph will have to guard Griffin because Perkins will foul out too quick and he has no real back-up to Perkins.

Advantage: GRIFFIN - LAKERS

Center:
Tyson Chandler/Chris Anderson vs. Kendrick Perkins/Cole Aldrich
Chandler was the DPOY last year, and will be able to take Zach Randolph out of the game and make Kevin Durant the only offense for OKC. Perkins is not an offensive threat at all and does not scare us. Chandler was good for a double-double average also last year with 11/10 averages.

Advantage: CHANDLER - LAKERS

OVERVIEW:
The Lakers win every position except Durant and the Thunder would have a hard time scoring outside of Durant. Durant would have to average 50 points a game to keep up with Kobe Bryant, Blake Griffin, and Ty Lawson. The only other scorer besides Durant that could hurt us would be Zach Randolph. However Randolph has the reigning DPOY on him in Tyson Chandler.

Advantage: LAKERS - 5 GAMES (Durant is too good not to win one)

SugeKnight
08-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Tough matchup for the Thunder. Lakers in 5

PocketKings
08-09-2012, 02:30 AM
The Thunder not turning in a write-up just capitalizes their disappointing Mock.

I legitimately thought the Thunder could've been a team with the star power and the bench to be a potential 1st round upset for the Lakers who have arguably the worst depth of all the post-season teams.

In the end, I voted Lakers but would've loved to see a write-up submitted to try and sway me otherwise.

KnicksorBust
08-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't know why the Lakers actually have Terrence Williams in their rotation at two positions. That's a scary thought. Other than that, they have the edge.

Thunder as a #6 seed that gets crushed in the 1st round is a joke.

Ill21
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Lakers in 5

PhillyLuver
08-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Lakers easily

Super.
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
The Thunder get destroyed in 5 to capitalize a monumental failure in the mock. Kevin Durant alone cannot stop Blake, Chandler, Kobe, and Lawson

Corey
08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
The Thunder roster got royally ****ed.

Lakers in 5. KD will win one game singlehandedly, but he cant win a series on his own.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't know why the Lakers actually have Terrence Williams in their rotation at two positions. That's a scary thought. Other than that, they have the edge.

Haha, KoB thats cause my bench sucks and I don't like having Richard Jefferson in the rotation at all. T-Will played really well at the end of the season for the Kings, and I think he could be a very solid sixth man and fit that role well.

Yeah my bench sucks, I'm not going to pretend it doesn't but the important thing is my starters will be on the floor for 35+ minutes a game for the most part and they as a group are among the best in this mock. My big 4 fit together real well and Parsons would work well off of their starpower.

Lakers in 5. KD will win one game singlehandedly, but he cant win a series on his own.

Exactly

Mile High Champ
08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Lakers are the best team in the west hands down.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM

:love: :hi5:

Catfish1314
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM

T-Will balled in the purple and black.

NYKalltheway
08-09-2012, 03:18 PM
why isn't there a gm option? :)

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
why isn't there a gm option? :)

There was an announcement in the Mock forum, just vote for your own team

DR_1
08-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Ya and you're the one who caused it.

kobe4thewinbang
08-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Who the heck is the GM of OKC? They're horrible, and have butchered the team.
No Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka?! Foolish GM basically only has KD and scrubs.
I'd say Lakers in 4, easily. Poor Durant has nobody to help him out.

PocketKings
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Who the heck is the GM of OKC? They're horrible, and have butchered the team.
No Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka?! Foolish GM basically only has KD and scrubs.

To make the Mock fair, the Heat and the Thunder started the game without Wade and Westbrook respectively.

kobe4thewinbang
08-09-2012, 03:53 PM
To make the Mock fair, the Heat and the Thunder started the game without Wade and Westbrook respectively.Yeah, but the Lakers still have Kobe and a far superior team.

Mr. Baller
08-09-2012, 04:59 PM

With that bench. No way.

RocketsRule
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Wow, just wow. At least own up to your own failures.

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
With that bench. No way.

We will see

Mr. Baller
08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
We will see

You have a very good team, but to say that you have the best team with a bench who's best player is Terrence Williams is enough for me.

Gagan136
08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Lakers should take this one

xxplayerxx23
08-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Im not sure OKC gets a game. Should of given meDurant :D

AP=MVP
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
You have a very good team, but to say that you have the best team with a bench who's best player is Terrence Williams is enough for me.

JJ isn't much better than T-Will, and the rest of my bench is just as good as yours.

TWill 8.8 PPG, 4.1 RPG .................. JJ 11.6 PPG 2.3 RPG
Charlie V 7 PPG, 3.7 RPG............. Kenyon Martin 5.2 PPG 4.3 RPG
Tinsley 3.7 PPG 3.3 APG.............. Steve Blake 5.2 PPG, 3.3 APG
Birdman 5.4 PPG 5.2 RPG (obviously he's better defensively)...............Diaw 6.4 PPG 4.9 RPG
Jefferson 9.2 PPG 3.5 RPG ................. Stevenson 2.9 PPG, 2 RPG

:shrug: I know I got a couple of PSD-most-Hated (Charlie and RJ) but man you make it sound like your bench is good lol

GoPacers33
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Lakers

Super.
08-09-2012, 11:41 PM

are you serious? this is one of the stupidest posts from you yet.

You had the opportunity to TAKE THE TRADE BACK and RESUBMIT IT with KG in a S&T and you declined to do so.

Explain to me how you planned on signing KG, you didn't have any cap space, and you didn't have the assets for a S&T. Your the one who ****ed it up.

Pathetic that you can't even own up to your own failures

AP=MVP
08-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Jamal Nivar unleashed!!!!!!

Sadds The Gr8
08-10-2012, 12:50 AM
JJ isn't much better than T-Will, and the rest of my bench is just as good as yours.

TWill 8.8 PPG, 4.1 RPG .................. JJ 11.6 PPG 2.3 RPG
Charlie V 7 PPG, 3.7 RPG............. Kenyon Martin 5.2 PPG 4.3 RPG
Tinsley 3.7 PPG 3.3 APG.............. Steve Blake 5.2 PPG, 3.3 APG
Birdman 5.4 PPG 5.2 RPG (obviously he's better defensively)...............Diaw 6.4 PPG 4.9 RPG
Jefferson 9.2 PPG 3.5 RPG ................. Stevenson 2.9 PPG, 2 RPG

:shrug: I know I got a couple of PSD-most-Hated (Charlie and RJ) but man you make it sound like your bench is good lol

Birdman was the 4th string Center foor the nuggets and got amnestied. He's garbage now.

AP=MVP
08-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Birdman was the 4th string Center foor the nuggets and got amnestied. He's garbage now.

Just listed stats and said he is better defensively than offensively, and Diaw isn't any better, he just fits well in SA cause Parker and their style

NYKalltheway
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
are you serious? this is one of the stupidest posts from you yet.

You had the opportunity to TAKE THE TRADE BACK and RESUBMIT IT with KG in a S&T and you declined to do so.

Explain to me how you planned on signing KG, you didn't have any cap space, and you didn't have the assets for a S&T. Your the one who ****ed it up.

Pathetic that you can't even own up to your own failures

how do you know what assets we had and what not? we were never given a chance to talk to Garnett properly in FA even if Boston had confirmed that they'd do a s&t with us so cap space and assets don't mean **** at that point. Had Garnett's agent talked to us instead of being a trade policeman, and in the end Garnett didn't decide to join our team then fair enough. But what happened was clearly not that. The rules were set that way so don't tell me that salary cap was important at that point ffs :rolleyes:

Mr. Baller
08-10-2012, 04:52 PM
But if you trade back none of that ever happens and you get KG. Not brain surgery to figure out