PDA

View Full Version : Could Marshon Brooks become the next James Harden?

Cal827
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Last year Marhson Brooks had a pretty decent rookie year, averaging 13-4-2 with one steal in about 30 minutes per game. Of course, he started the majority of his games and there weren't many other options on that Nets team over him.

This offseason, we have seen the Nets stock up at the SG/SF positions, adding Joe Johnson and retaining Gerald Wallace. I would expect Brooks to be direct back-up to both of them and the primary offense off the bench. So my question is can he become the next James Harden (Sixth man of the year) (in a sense since we all know that after next year, Harden will probably be starting). I think it might take a few years since Johnson/Wallace will be declining in the next few years. What do you guys think? Will he up his game right away, will it take a bit, or was his rookie season basically what we'll get?

If you guys feel there's a better comparison for what Brooks will become, feel free to post and please explain your choice for the rest of us, thank you :D

D12 fan
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
He can be anything he want's to be if he puts his mind to it.lmao

Hawkeye15
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
No, I don't think so. Harden attacked more even as a rookie, and was already a foul drawing machine, where Brooks likes to do most his damage from outside. I really think Brooks is a better version of Marcus Thornton or Nick Young in a couple years.

StarvingKnick22
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
what about Lou williams?

DoMeFavors
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Why would a thread like this be a bait?

DoMeFavors
08-07-2012, 10:59 PM
No, I don't think so. Harden attacked more even as a rookie, and was already a foul drawing machine, where Brooks likes to do most his damage from outside. I really think Brooks is a better version of Marcus Thornton or Nick Young in a couple years.

I hope not both are terrible

D12 fan
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Any thread with the Knicks/Nets players are considered bait.:D

waveycrockett
He was balling last year until he hit the rookie wall. We needed him to do too much but yeah he could.

STL Don
I would compare him to Jamal Crawford. With POSSIBLY a bit more upside. He's still very raw but I liked what he was able to do in his rookie season, even though playing for a bad team.

Cal827

I just put that up there, cause unfortunately, a lot of the Net threads become baiting by Knick fans and vice versa, and I didn't want anybody to think that I just pull this out of my *** to troll lol. I'll remove it now though, since people understand.

Losoway
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
not a chance. marshon brooks is a good shoter but he is super hot/cold

Robbw241
08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
James Harden, I don't think so. I think he can be a very good 6th man though and scoring machine. He just doesn't play like Harden at all.

I voted yes though cause I felt like it, problem?

Ill21
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I hope not both are terrible

Nick young is a solid player.

waveycrockett
08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Nick young is a solid player.

Nick Young is talented but he has the basketball IQ of a rock.

Cal827
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
James Harden, I don't think so. I think he can be a very good 6th man though and scoring machine. He just doesn't play like Harden at all.

I voted yes though cause I felt like it, problem?

Ain't even mad bro :D

lol I guess I should have just said sixth man of the year material like James Harden... If the mods feel that people are getting confused, then change the title of the thread if you guys want.

Gagan136
08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
I dont think he will be on that level next year, maybe in a few years

dee279
08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
If he could become a better distributor, maybe, but he can defianantly put up points so i would say he has more of a J.R. Smith offensive game then Harden.

Chronz
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Hes off to a really slow start if he is, reminds me more of SG version of Al Thornton

mdm692
08-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Weren't people saying he was the next Kobe as the season progressed?

Rivera
08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I've always compared marshon brooks to jammal crawford

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
I think Marshon can be "Harden-like" in a sense that he can be a dynamic offensive player off the bench.

His game is very hard to compare to another player, hes got a pump fake similar to Kobe, his form is similar to Jamal Crawford's, and he can play some PG.

I think its best to wait and see what he can do as a backup, but I wouldnt count him out as being a great player.

THE MTL
08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I think he's a different type of player. Brooks tries to emulate Kobe with alot of his moves. Not saying that he is like Kobe or anywhere near that level. Im just pointing out the kind of track and style that Brooks looks like he's going for.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Hes off to a really slow start if he is, reminds me more of SG version of Al Thornton

Exactly what I said on the first page. That is what I saw as well, though we will see what improvements Brooks might have made soon enough.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I think he's a different type of player. Brooks tries to emulate Kobe with alot of his moves. Not saying that he is like Kobe or anywhere near that level. Im just pointing out the kind of track and style that Brooks looks like he's going for.

Supposedly he hates when hes compared to Kobe, not sure why?

LTBaByyy
08-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Brooks ceiling = Jamal Crawford

Harden ceiling = Dwayne Wade

/thread

ThunderousDemon
08-08-2012, 12:09 AM

It's only bait if you bite, right?

THE MTL
08-08-2012, 12:11 AM

/thread

I think Harden's ceiling is more that of Brandon Roy's.

b@llhog24
08-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Supposedly he hates when hes compared to Kobe, not sure why?

Probably because it puts unrealistic expectations on him.

b@llhog24
08-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I vote for the last option. Shame on you Cal :pity:

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Probably because it puts unrealistic expectations on him.

I could see that, but you could always say "Its flattering, but I'm not there yet". But I digress.

Knicks21
08-08-2012, 12:28 AM
JR Smith is the max he will be like this year imo.

waveycrockett
08-08-2012, 12:34 AM

/thread

Get a life

waveycrockett
08-08-2012, 12:35 AM
JR Smith is the max he will be like this year imo.

He was better than JR smith last year

DoMeFavors
08-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I dont expect Brooks to be an all star type at all

Gritz
08-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Why not, his afro is just as nappy as Harden's beard

waveycrockett
08-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Why not, his afro is just as nappy as Harden's beard

Racist

IndyRealist
08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Harden's rookie year he shot 37.5% from 3 with 1.30pps (where 1.20 is average for a SG) and 55.1% TS, while Brooks shot 31.3% with a 1.11pps and 50.2% TS. And Harden's gotten exponentially better every year, with an astounding 66% TS and 1.66pps, 57.9% on 2's, 39% on 3's, and 84.6% at the line, which he got to at twice the average rate.

So no, I don't think Marshon Brooks will get anywhere near James Harden. His rookie year was substantially worse than Harden's in virtually every category. And Harden is progressing at an extremely unusual rate, so it would be unreasonable to think that Brooks would improve at an even better rate to make up for the ground he's already behind.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Harden's rookie year he shot 37.5% from 3 with 1.30pps (where 1.20 is average for a SG) and 55.1% TS, while Brooks shot 31.3% with a 1.11pps and 50.2% TS. And Harden's gotten exponentially better every year, with an astounding 66% TS and 1.66pps, 57.9% on 2's, 39% on 3's, and 84.6% at the line, which he got to at twice the average rate.

So no, I don't think Marshon Brooks will get anywhere near James Harden. His rookie year was substantially worse than Harden's in virtually every category. And Harden is progressing at an extremely unusual rate, so it would be unreasonable to think that Brooks would improve at an even better rate to make up for the ground he's already behind.

Look at their foul draw rates and where they shot the ball as well. If Brooks doesn't become more aggressive going to the rim, he isn't even a good comparison with Harden, instead more of a Thornton/Young type.

Brooks started fairly well, but then settled into a chucker role for some reason. Hopefully for Nets fans he has worked on his dribble drive and plans to attack more instead or relying on long 2's.

ChicagoFan4Eva
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
He hasn't even play a professional basketball game in the NBA yet.. my goodness. He is good though.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Could he be like Harden this past year? I doubt it, Harden is very good at getting to the rim. He can be a very good sixth man, thats all I see. Harden could very well go on to be a star.

ThunderousDemon
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Racist

That is not racist. :no:

NYYCowboys
08-08-2012, 01:57 PM
He's older than James Harden is so probably not. Too one dimensional.

dee279
08-08-2012, 02:02 PM
He hasn't even play a professional basketball game in the NBA yet.. my goodness. He is good though.

Hes played a whole season

Jetsguy
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
JR Smith

LongWayFromHome
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
He's older than James Harden is so probably not. Too one dimensional.

best thing I've seen on this thread yet

Ares
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
At first, Marshon Brooks = next Kobe?

Now, Marshon Brooks = next Harden?

Next year, Marshon Brooks=Solid bench player?

In 3 years, Marshon Brooks=D-League All-Star?

This dude is overrated as hell, he has a pretty game but it won't ever translate into being an actual great player.

b@llhog24
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM

This. If Brooks ever gets as good as Harden is now, I'll say he overachieved.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Brooks is a baller tho. He's gotta high ceiling.

Punk
08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Lol No. Harden is a play maker who scores off penetration and doesn't create for himself all the time which is the opposite to Brooks.

Marshon Brooks is the next Jamal Crawford. Could he win 6th man? Possibly but he's no Harden at all.

koreancabbage
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
i said banish him. lol

i know James Harden.... but....
umm ... who the F is Marshon Brooks. that is all.

hasn't done anything to warrant this type of attention.

Bornknick73
08-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Out of the thousands of threads I dont see this as a bait thread at all. I actually like MarShon alot. When the Knicks took Shump I was hoping we would take Brooks.

Its almost a shame they got JJ. I think MarShon as the starting SG would have flourished. Not saying he wont now but theres nothing like starters minutes. I know we all give each other a hard time (Knicks/Nets fans) but I think Marshon is a stud.

Watching him play, he has so much of Kobe's style. His jumper is almost a replica of Kobe's. Almost like watching Kobe when he was a kid as he tried to emulate Mike.

I think the Nets have a special kid in Brooks. Do i think he'll be a Harden? No. I think he'll be better. Too bad hes got that overpaid overhyped Johnson in front of him to stunt his growth. I was looking forward to watching Marshon in the starting lineup next year.

Oh well I guess ill have to break the leg on my Joe Johnson voodoo doll.

Whomewhome
08-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I have no idea who started this thread. But Nets fans stop feeding into these threads there is no point.

Might I remind you of the following. Marcus Williams, Sean Williams, CDR, nothing ever really panned out.

I love Marshon, but I don't want to expect a Harden clone. ! If anything he reminds me a little bit of Jamal Crawford but he is not even at that level yet. WAIT

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM

You're back in 2012 man, turn the time machine off.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-08-2012, 04:23 PM
i said banish him. lol

i know James Harden.... but....
umm ... who the F is Marshon Brooks. that is all.

hasn't done anything to warrant this type of attention.

Do you watch basketball much? I mean I'm not trying to assume everyone knows him but its not like he's some D League player. I think you should start paying attention a little more.

Sactown
08-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Nope, It's not in his genes to grow that type of a beard...

Bornknick73
08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
You're back in 2012 man, turn the time machine off.

OMG if hes got a time machine please lend it to me.....

So I can tell Riles to put Hubert Davis in the game for Starks. 2/18 :facepalm:

kenzo400
08-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Harden had a worse rookie season. Most of his attacks were very unsuccessful as was his mid range jump shot. He shot 40% from the field his first year.

Rockice_8
08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
If he is then Billy King is a draft guru but I don't think he ever hits that level. I don't think he has the handle or jumper of Harden but once Harden becomes a starter I could see him being in the running for 6th man of the year.

I like the Nick Young comparison but Brooks is already a much better passer and decision maker. Nick Young with a good B-ball IQ sounds about right.

His defense will never be better then average (not great lateral foot speed) but his long arms should help him get some steals.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Harden had a worse rookie season. Most of his attacks were very unsuccessful as was his mid range jump shot. He shot 40% from the field his first year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=brookma01&y1=2012&p2=hardeja01&y2=2010

Harden's TS% (the real indicator of scoring efficiency), was well over league average (53%), because he doubled up Marshon on free throw attempts. Harden's rookie season was better then Marshon, and Harden was also 3 years younger. Harden was also a better defender. Harden, even at a younger age, realized his weaknesses (or the staff did), so he did attack a lot more. Harden's turnover rate was also lower, despite more usage.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
He'll be more of a Jamal Crawford type of player than a James Harden.

jim51990
08-08-2012, 05:11 PM
He could and i hope so. Routing hard for my fellow friar

kenzo400
08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=brookma01&y1=2012&p2=hardeja01&y2=2010

Harden's TS% (the real indicator of scoring efficiency), was well over league average (53%), because he doubled up Marshon on free throw attempts. Harden's rookie season was better then Marshon, and Harden was also 3 years younger. Harden was also a better defender. Harden, even at a younger age, realized his weaknesses (or the staff did), so he did attack a lot more. Harden's turnover rate was also lower, despite more usage.

3.15 Harden free throws per game. Brooks has 2.61. But you have to take into account that Harden ran in a much more fluid offensive system. Not sure about the usage rate, Marshon was used quite a lot. He averaged 29 minutes per game, and seeing how there were no other scorers on that team he was pretty much the go to scorer after Deron.

But yeah, i don't think Harden was a worse player, but not sure how much better his rookie season could be counted as. His mid range jumpshot was atrocious during his rookie season, and is the primary reason why he shot only 40% from the field.

Age is definetly a factor too. Not sure if Brooks can ever turn out to be the current Harden but i still think he can be a very special player, and i wouldn't count him out on developing good defense or a better drive.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
3.15 Harden free throws per game. Brooks has 2.61. But you have to take into account that Harden ran in a much more fluid offensive system. Not sure about the usage rate, Marshon was used quite a lot. He averaged 29 minutes per game, and seeing how there were no other scorers on that team he was pretty much the go to scorer after Deron.

But yeah, i don't think Harden was a worse player, but not sure how much better his rookie season could be counted as. His mid range jumpshot was atrocious during his rookie season, and is the primary reason why he shot only 40% from the field.

Age is definetly a factor too. Not sure if Brooks can ever turn out to be the current Harden but i still think he can be a very special player, and i wouldn't count him out on developing good defense or a better drive.

His rookie season, he had more impact. Click the link dude.

N3TS
08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Its hard to say. He will have to prove it this year, but I don't expect him to ever be as good as James Harden.

koreancabbage
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Do you watch basketball much? I mean I'm not trying to assume everyone knows him but its not like he's some D League player. I think you should start paying attention a little more.

yea, i also watched Mike James average 20 points as a Raptor.

one year doesn't mean anything in this league. yea i'll watch when he does well 2-3 seasons in a row.

and with this revamped Nets lineup- I highly doubt he will repeat his performances at such a high level. probably average lesser numbers but maybe better efficiency.

Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Brook Lopez
will all get theirs.
Humphries and Gerald Wallace are no chumps either.

and he won't be James Harden. Nets have better post players - which will limit the use of wing players unless they are in trouble and will passing out of hte double team

xxplayerxx23
08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Nah, Not Harden, but I think he can be a very good sixth man. Guy can score but I question his shot selection and effeicenty.

2-ONE-5
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
he will prob be like a Lou Williams, maybe a little better

D2theJ
08-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I think he could be a 6th man of the year candidate but hes a very different player than Harden. So I'd say no he wont become the next Harden but he could become a good sixth man. That's the role I wanted him in all year I think he will thrive there.

kenzo400
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
His rookie season, he had more impact. Click the link dude.

Yeah, you are right, his PER is definitely higher. Still though, i do think Marshon has potential. It is a bit unfair to compare him to Harden, as there are not the same type of player. But he can definitely develop more consistency on his jump shot and improve his drive. He's had pretty solid defense too for a rookie.

waveycrockett
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, you are right, his PER is definitely higher. Still though, i do think Marshon has potential. It is a bit unfair to compare him to Harden, as there are not the same type of player. But he can definitely develop more consistency on his jump shot and improve his drive. He's had pretty solid defense too for a rookie.

PER is a ridiculous stat to compare rookies in those situations. Brooks was asked to be the #1 scorer on the team after DWILL. It's pretty obvious why he wasn't as efficient as he could be. Harden was asked to be the 6th man and play against other teams 2nd unit.