PDA

View Full Version : Should the Nets retire # 42 for Jackie Robinson?

njnets
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I follow netsdaily on twitter and the tweet asked this question.

Jerry Stackhouse always wears the number 42 because of his respect and love for Jackie Robinson. I guess this is how the question/discussion came about.

The Nets are going to be the first franchise to play there since the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1950's, who had Jackie Robinson on it.

We all know how Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball and how important he was to black athletes playing other sports as well (not directly but still influential).

I would not mind them doing something like this. Robinson is a very important athletic figure and it would be great respect on the Nets franchise behalf to remember the great athlete and person that Jackie Robinson was. I also believe that the Nets would be paying Brooklyn respect by paying homage to the old Dodger team that played there.

For the record, I do not know if the Nets could legally do anything if they wanted to since the Dodgers, I'm assuming, own the rights to these kinds of things.

What do other PSD posters think?

D12 fan
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah why not,it would be a nice gesture.

rocket
08-07-2012, 10:01 PM
No, he plays baseball not basketball.

OptiMized
08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
That would be pretty cool.

xxplayerxx23
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Eh, I guess

Wade>You
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Heat did it for Marino, and Jackie Robinson paved the way for non-white athletes. He's definitely deserving of it and it would be a classy move by the Nets organization if his number is retired.

Lakeshow24KB
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I think it's silly to do so for other sports but if it's been done before then why not?

oak2455
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Why not classy move

StarvingKnick22
08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
uhhhh. tough choice. basketball, baseball you know.

X12Celtics3
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Heat did it for Marino, and Jackie Robinson paved the way for non-white athletes. He's definitely deserving of it and it would be a classy move by the Nets organization if his number is retired.

Considering that there is currently a player on the team who wears Marino's number (Mike Miller), I'd have to say that its definitely not retired. It IS, however, honored in the rafters. The real head-scratcher in Miami is that Michael Jordan's number is retired despite the fact that he never had anything to do with the franchise.

I don't mind honoring Robinson like the Heat did for Marino, but retiring numbers for people who never had anything to do with the franchise seems a bit odd.

fadedmario
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
no.

Wade>You
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Considering that there is currently a player on the team who wears Marino's number (Mike Miller), I'd have to say that its definitely not retired. It IS, however, honored in the rafters. The real head-scratcher in Miami is that Michael Jordan's number is retired despite the fact that he never had anything to do with the franchise.

I don't mind honoring Robinson like the Heat did for Marino, but retiring numbers for people who never had anything to do with the franchise seems a bit odd.Good point, didn't even realize it! :o

waveycrockett
08-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Yes.

Ezekial
08-07-2012, 10:23 PM
It doesn't matter if it's baseball. What he did (and all the other barrier breakers from the negro league) changed sports in America as a whole.

Yes, it would be a nice gesture, but they don't have to.... Either is cool with me.

Losoway
08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
if they do that would be almost as dumb as this thread

Big Zo
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
I don't mind honoring Robinson like the Heat did for Marino, but retiring numbers for people who never had anything to do with the franchise seems a bit odd.

Also not retired.

X12Celtics3
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Also not retired.

Well I don't follow the Heat, so I wouldn't really know, but it is listed on NBA.com's list (http://www.nba.com/history/team-retired-jerseys/index.html) of retired numbers in the NBA.

Miami Heat
Number Player
10 Tim Hardaway
23 In honor of Michael Jordan
33 Alonzo Mourning

Hellcrooner
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
No.
Different sports.

But i would be all for having a conmemorative banner for him.

STL Don
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Would seem a little off to me

njnets
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I get what some people are saying about he didn't play basketball.

I think, at minimum, he deserves some type of banner. Contribution to blacks in major league sports plus being back in bk has to mean something.

And did not know the Jordan Miami thing. Learn something new everyday.

Ill21
08-07-2012, 11:17 PM
no.

Why not?

akagiredsuns
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
What kind of stupid thread is this. Jackie Robinson played baseball not basketball. I guess all sports should retire #23 for Jordan too. The lame topics people will come up with just to start a thread. Keep the sports separate. A banner is acceptable. Otherwise, we have to make a long list of people and it would never end. Sheesh. :facepalm:

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
if they do that would be almost as dumb as this thread

How on earth would retiring the numbers of a player who opened the doors for black athletes in ALL SPORTS, who also happened to play in Brooklyn, be "stupid".

Please, shut your mouth.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
What kind of stupid thread is this. Jackie Robinson played baseball not basketball. I guess all sports should retire #23 for Jordan too. The lame topics people will come up with just to start a thread. Keep the sports separate. A banner is acceptable. Otherwise, we have to make a long list of people and it would never end. Sheesh. :facepalm:

The thing you're not getting is Jackie opened the doors for every black athlete, granted he played baseball, but he was one of the most famous athletes in any sport ever, and played in Brooklyn. I dont think its completely obscure at all, I'd understand if they didnt do it, but to say its a "bad idea" is a overboard.

3rdCoastFan11
08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Either way. It'd be a nice gesture that'd be sure to get popularity points, but at the same time they're different sports. I'm on board no matter what.

MrfadeawayJB
08-08-2012, 12:19 AM

exactly what i was thinking

R8Rfriar
08-08-2012, 12:41 AM

This is bigger than baseball and basketball, all sports for that matter

this man broke the color barrier for African Americans for Sports

Yes..IMO 42 should be retired from all major sports (Including Hockey)

R8Rfriar
08-08-2012, 12:44 AM

what is stupid is your comparing Michael Jordan to Jackie Robinson

Jackie opened doors for other African Americans who was viewed as Inferior Hence The Negro leagues where they couldn't even play on the same team as whites

Michael Jordan could not hold Jackies Jock strap on this topic

:facepalm:

Gritz
08-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Who's Jackie Robinson?

KB24PG16
08-08-2012, 12:50 AM
this would as dumb as the HEAT retiring mj's

KB24PG16
08-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Also not retired.

lol some heat fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXnTofiVcX0 :rolleyes:

avrpatsfan
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM
The Heat also retired Jordan's #, who didn't play a single game for the Heat. :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
08-08-2012, 01:22 AM
It wouldn't bother me at all, but I wouldn't care if they didn't do it.

Ty Fast
08-08-2012, 10:28 AM

why does mike miller wear 13 then?

Chill_Will_24
08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I would not be opposed but i feel that the Nets would only be doing it as a cheap way to get Brooklyn behind them

Lake_Show2416
08-08-2012, 01:36 PM
thats such a stupid idea, how bout the 1st black athlete that gets no love just cuz baseball was the sport of the time & NFL wasnt so big, Fritz Pollard who played 20 years before Jackie but never gets mentioned

Either way i never like crossing sports

mamba24
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Should the Astros retire Yao Ming's number??? Nope...

STAT1
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
No.

Whomewhome
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't know, was he the best Brooklyn Dodger? I would hope that the color barrier is no longer an issue.

KNICKS R BACK
08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
hell no! and while we're on this subject i cant stand that my mets have a jackie robinson rotunda in the lobby of citi field...HE NEVER PLAYED FOR THE METS!

Whomewhome
08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
hell no! and while we're on this subject i cant stand that my mets have a jackie robinson rotunda in the lobby of citi field...HE NEVER PLAYED FOR THE METS!
lol one angry fan.... :D Why is he there? Surely the color barrier is over. I am really interested now, how good of a baseball player was he? or was it a color issue?

JWO35
08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't care one way or another.

Ares
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Nets dying for attention.

JR on Sports
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't think only the Nets should. Either every team in the NBA does it or no one does it. Give him a banner regardless.

Bruno
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM
#42 isn't a popular basketball number, I doubt anyone even wants it. a banner would be appropriate, or a bust at the entrance of the arena.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I dont see why he should only be retired in Brooklyn?

I get he was on the Dodgers, but if you're going to retire his number for one basketball team, you may as well do it for all teams.

I dont think any basketball team should retire his number, but if they were, I think every team should do it.

JordansBulls
08-08-2012, 04:54 PM

this

Rockice_8
08-08-2012, 04:57 PM

^^ This

Except for the Marino part. Marino didn't have the same impact Robinson did. The only reason to retire a guys number in a sport he didn't play would be because he had an impact greater then sports, like Robinson.

The Nets should without a doubt retire his number, especially being in Brooklyn. Wouldn't even be a bad idea to have all teams do it considering his impact on all sports not just baseball.

N3TS
08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
why not classy move

+1

Frozenred
08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
That would be an awesome move.

bostncelts34
08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Even with all that Jackie did, the nets do not play baseball. So i would have to say no

NYY 26 to 7
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
No they shouldn't retire his number. I understand the impact but at this point he is honored appropriately in baseball and outside of it. His contribution shouldn't be understated but I think he was recognized all over history and through the government for his contribution to civil rights. I would say it would be nice to honor him somewhere as a Brooklyn sports and cultural hero but retire his number no.

knicks=love
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
should the cubs retire jordan's number? should the knicks retire babe ruth's? :facepalm:

CityofTreez
08-08-2012, 06:16 PM
lol one angry fan.... :D Why is he there? Surely the color barrier is over. I am really interested now, how good of a baseball player was he? or was it a color issue?

It wasn't just a color issue. Jackie Robinson could do everything in the field except for pitch. Robinson & Clemente really broke it open for the race barrier though.

I'm not 100% sure if he was the best Brooklyn Dodger, but Duke Snider was one helluva Brooklyn/LA Dodger.

RLundi
08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I'd understand the significance, and maybe it isn't a huge deal, but I think the MLB and NBA should be kept as two separate entities.

albertajaysfan
08-08-2012, 06:57 PM

He wasn't much of a power hitter but otherwise he was solid. He entered near the beginning of his prime. Won RoY in 47 and MVP in 49 with some impressive stats.

Helped the Dodgers get 6 pennants in the 10 years he played. Although they only won 1 World Series. The Dodgers had a .613 winning percentage during that time.

Jackie was also chosen because Branch Rickey (Dodgers GM) believed he could handle what was going to be thrown at him, figuratively and probably also literally.

nicegoing
08-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Sure. It would be a good move, nothing to lose much to gain.

THE MTL
08-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Its a different sport. But at the same time, Jackie Robinson was the first black player in all major sports of significance.

NoahH
08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
no, he plays baseball not basketball.

+1

aztr0
08-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Exactly my thought.