PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 1 San Antonio Spurs vs. 8 Denver Nuggets

Catfish1314
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Spurs have homecourt advantage in the Western Conference Quarterfinal series.

Spurs Depth Chart:

PG: Tony Parker | Jordan Farmar,
SG: Ray Allen | Danny Green | Dominique Jones | Josh Selby
SF: Andre Iguodala | James Johnson
PF: Tim Duncan | Ed Davis | Ivan Johnson
C: Nene | Jermaine O'Neal

Nuggets Depth Chart:

C: JaVale McGee / Joel Przybilla / Daniel Orton
PF: David West / Jason Smith / Arnett Moultrie
SF: Paul Pierce / Nick Young / Dominic McGuire
SG: Paul George / Dahntay Jones / Willie Green
PG: Jeremy Lin / Jason Kidd

Spurs Write-up:

Offensive Philosophy:

I believe that we have one of the most balanced offenses in the game. Our starting five can score in a variety of ways. Our #1 option is Tony Parker. Parker this last year was arguably a top 4 point guard. Parker is a very efficent penatrator and passer. He'll be able to set up everyone else on the court and create his own shot. To finish off our back court, we add Ray Allen. In a limited three pointing starting lineup, Allen provides space to spread the floor. He will demand attention leaving openings for Nene and Duncan downlow, as well as Iguodala and Parker to penatrate. Andre Iguodala will be our 2nd option on offense. Iguodala might not be a terrific scorer, but he is an excellent penatrator and a solid passer at his position. Down low will be two experienced big men who can score from mid range as well as in the post. Duncan will always be able to bring the other teams starting center away from the basket. Off the bench we add good shooters in Farmar and Green, and a poor man's prime Shawn Marion in James Johnson. We will also add Ed Davis as a 6th/7th man who averages a double double PER 36.

Defensive Philosophy:

Just like our offense, our defense is balanced. Andre Iguodala might just be the best perimeter defender in the NBA. Whoever the other teams best scorer is in their back court, Iguodala will be able to shut them down and force turnovers. He will also be able to clog passing lanes and block shots. Although Duncan is getting older, he still is a force defensively. He is able to hold his ground downlow and deny the oppositions shots. He is also very strong in help defense. With Nene being able to do most of the things Duncan can, we will be able to limit the oppostions front courts. Parker is not the strongest defender at the point, but he is coming off his best defensive year in a few years. His defensive rating was on par with other good defender at the point guard position. Adding Davis, O'Neal, and James Johnson off the bench gives up depth defensively.

Matchup:

Denver's weakest postion in the starting lineup is Lin. Parker is our strongest option. We believe he will be able to do circles around Lin. Iguodala will be able to severely limit Pierce's scoring and rebounding. Duncan will use his midrange game to bring Javale McGee away from the hoop to limit his shot blocking ability. We believe our depth will be too much for Denver to handle, thus giving us the advantage in a best of 7 game series.

xxplayerxx23
08-07-2012, 12:30 AM
This is closer than the other 1-8, But I still think the spurs would be too much.

SugeKnight
08-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Closer than it looks, but I still got the Spurs. Nuggets should have kept Lawson

Gagan136
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I can see it going to 6 maybe 7 with SA winning

Sinestro
08-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Spurs in 5

PocketKings
08-07-2012, 01:05 AM
I would've loved to see Denver get their write-up in, but I understand their circumstances.

Even so, San Antonio is just too good in this match-up.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-07-2012, 02:43 AM
I really like Denver 1-4 but hate McGee at Center and with no good defensive backup, I could score like 20 points or so on their centers. Regardless though, SA is more talented overall. But if Denver had a better Center, this could be much closer.

raiderposting
08-07-2012, 02:52 AM
if the nuggets kept lawson i think i would have voted for an upset win here. but you got to take risks so i dont blame them.

juggla53
08-07-2012, 03:06 AM
parker would have an absolute field day in this series

LakersMaster24
08-07-2012, 03:12 AM
22 to 0...ouch.

N3TS
08-07-2012, 03:38 AM
I would have to go with the Spurs over the Nuggets.

Corey
08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Spurs in 4 or 5.