PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 1 Indiana Pacers vs. 8 Philadelphia 76ers

Catfish1314
08-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Pacers have homecourt advantage in this Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series.

Pacers Depth Chart:

C: Roy Hibbert | Ronny Turiaf
PF: Josh Smith | Brandon Bass | Draymond Green
SF: Danny Granger | Matt Barnes | Jeffrey Taylor
SG: Dwyane Wade | Marco Bellinelli | Darius Miller
PG: Stephen Curry | Mario Chalmers

Sixers Depth Chart:

PG: Jameer Nelson/Norris Cole
SG: Manu Ginobili/Leandro Barbosa/Marcus Denmon
SF: Grant Hill/Metta World Peace
PF: Taj Gibson/Michael Beasley
C: Al Horford/Lavoy Allen/Nenad Krstic

Pacers Write-up:

First and foremost we would like to congratulate Eaglesbaby4lyfe and Saddler the Gr8 for building another very good team and making it into the NBA Mock Playoffs with the Philadelphia 76ers. Unfortunately this is where their run will end.

The Indiana Pacers are a team that has an onslaught of firepower, a 2x NBA Finals Champion and 1x NBA Finals MVP in Dwyane Wade leading the way with the PERFECT supporting cast around him to carry the Pacers to a chance at an NBA Finals run.

The Sixers are a strong team, but the Pacers possess a team that is a very, very strong defensive team, with a deep 9-10 man rotation, and an onslaught of firepower to light up the scoreboard. We will now show you how the Pacers will dominate this match-up against the Sixers.

Pacers Depth Chart:
PG: Stephen Curry (32) | Mario Chalmers (16)
SG: Dwyane Wade (38) | Marco Belinelli (12)
SF: Danny Granger (34) | Matt Barnes (14)
PF: Josh Smith (24) | Brandon Bass (24)
C: Roy Hibbert (32) | Josh Smith (12) | Ronny Turiaf (4)

PG Matchup: Stephen Curry/Mario Chalmers vs. Jameer Nelson/Norris Cole
The Pacers will have the clear and distinct advantage here. Curry, though coming off an injury, is one of the most efficient point guards in the league and will get tons of open looks playing next to Wade. Synergy has Curry ranked as the 3rd overall in terms of spot up shooting, averaging 1.38 PPP, with a scoring rate of 49.4%, which is absurdly good. He shoots the 3 at a great rate, a career 44% three point shooter. We saw in the postseason how important floor spacing is, and with a dead eye shooter like Curry getting open looks and feeding off of Wade, Curry will have a field day, especially because Jameer Nelson ranks as one of the worst spot up defenders in the game (329th in the league). As for the backups, we have a clear advantage with Chalmers, as he has successfully coexisted with Wade, can defend, shoot, and run an offense for 10-15 minutes, which is all we ask.

Advantage: Pacers

SG Matchup: Dwyane Wade/Marco Belinelli vs. Manu Ginobili/Leandro Barbosa
This is another clear cut advantage for the Pacers. Wade is coming off a good, not great year but was integral in leading his team to a championship. He’s still the best SG in the game, providing great defense, efficient scoring, and great leadership. Manu is coming off of yet another injury plagued season, and though he’s still a top 5 SG, he does not have the athleticism to keep up with Wade. Wade will give Manu a tough time on defense as well, and limit him. Manu’s good, but he’s going up against the best.

SF Matchup: Danny Granger/Matt Barnes vs. Grant Hill/Metta World Peace
Once again, the Pacers have the advantage. Granger is a perfect fit for this squad, as the second option. He can slash, dish and most importantly, snipe from three point land. He’s still a very good scorer, averaging 19 PPG on solid efficiency (55% TS%). He’s also very good from deep, shooting at a 38% clip. He had a great year defensively this past year, as evident by his synergy statistics, and would limit Grant Hill with ease. Though it is perceived that Granger has slipped off, it’s simply not true. His usage has just decreased, therefore his averages have gone down. However, he’s still able to provide scoring at an efficient rate and is an above average defender. Metta and Barnes will even each other out as well.

PF Matchup: Josh Smith/ Brandon Bass vs. Taj Gibson/Michael Beasley
Here is another huge match-up advantage for the Pacers. Josh Smith is arguably one of the best defensive bigs in the game. His role here won’t change. What he brings to the Pacers’ offensively is a perfect fit. He has the range to stretch the floor consistently while also is one of the better slashers at the PF position. Gibson is a very good, young player with tons of upside but the fact is, he just hasn’t proved yet he can handle playing starters minutes on a consistent basis against one of the league’s premier PF’s. When it comes to our PF rotation is where we get a huge boost. The Pacers have Brandon Bass coming off the bench who was a legitimate starter and contributor on one of the league’s best teams last year in the Celtics. Bass has a deadly mid-range game and is a remarkable defender. Beasley has the potential to be a potent scorer but he is a high-volume scorer and is rarely efficient in doing so. Bass’s defense along with his ability to score coming off the bench just strengthens and adds versatility to the Pacers line-up.

C Matchup: Roy Hibbert/Josh Smith/Ronny Turiaf vs. Al Horford/Lavoy Allen
This is the first subtle change you’ll see the Pacers throw out in this line-up. Josh Smith played nearly 1/3rd of his minutes this past year for the Hawks at Center. The 76ers are not a very big team, but they are a very athletic team. The Pacers have the size, the versatility, and the talent to play with any team. In this match-up Josh Smith will see some time at Center as a PF/C tandem of Brandon Bass and Josh Smith being on the floor together will be seen in spurts to capitalize on the athleticism the Pacers possess. Al Horford is a very good 2-way center and is one of the league’s best, but Roy Hibbert has the size and the defensive ability to make Horford’s time in this match-up miserable. Hibbert has also shown continued improvement in his game and even though he has raw ability on the offensive-side, he still has to be accounted for. With Josh Smith playing minutes behind Hibbert at C, an argument can be made that although a very, very slight-edge can be given to Horford over Hibbert. It is the Pacers’ deep front-court rotation that will give the Pacers the eventual edge.

In the end, the Pacers just have too much firepower, too much depth, too much talent, and have a very good defensive identity to overwhelm the Sixers. The Sixers in their own right are a very talented team, but the Pacers are simply too much in the start and in the end.

Behind the leadership of Dwyane Wade, the sharpshooters of Stephen Curry, Danny Granger, and Mario Chalmers and Marco Belinelli off the bench, and the best defensive front-court in the Eastern Conference with Josh Smith, Brandon Bass, and Roy Hibbert. The Pacers should win this series in 4 or 5 games at most.

Thank you for reading our write-up.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Im voting for the Sexers, what a very very nicely built team.
I also like their confidence with no write ups savyy

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I had the Pacers as the best team in this since the Wade signing. Love ya eagles, but I'm going with the HOBO's here.

xxplayerxx23
08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Pacers are too damn sexy. Sorry Pacers in 5.

SugeKnight
08-07-2012, 12:20 AM
pacers should cruise till the finals

Gagan136
08-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Indy

raiderposting
08-07-2012, 02:54 AM
didn't look at ****. pacers are on auto pilot until the finals.

N3TS
08-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Pacers.

Corey
08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Pacers in 4 or 5. They're just loaded.

king4day
08-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I meant to pick the Pacers but it doesn't look like it matters.

Hawkeye15
08-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Pacers are loaded with wing scorers and interior defenders. Easy win for them.

KnicksorBust
08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
The Pacers definately win my vote but I want to give credit to the Sixers because Horford/Manu is a very nice duo with good role players around them.

PocketKings
08-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Just wanted to congratulate EB4L and Saddler for making it this far. The Sixers were a damn solid team and I honestly always felt they were a tad underrated. The duo of Manu and Horford really is a very nice duo that would excel due to their unselfish natures at players. I think they did a solid job of building around that duo as well. Just unfortunate they ran into a match-up nightmare in Round 1.

So :clap:

It is exciting to move onto Round 2 of the EC Playoffs though!

I think this might be the first time I've matched up against EB4L and Saddler in one of these games and we've played a handful of games together. I know I'll be seeing them in a post-season again in another game.