PDA

View Full Version : You've Been Named Commissioner For A Day...

Giannis94
08-05-2012, 11:52 PM
You have recently been named NBA commishoner. What do you do? For the sake of this thread, any change you make has to stay for at least 2 years for the better or for the worse meaning you could potenitally make it great or make it irrelevant with the decisions you make.

What do you do.

asandhu23
08-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Fire LeBron.

RC3
08-05-2012, 11:58 PM
In before someone says the word "veto".

LongIslandIcedZ
08-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Do whatever I want and use 'basketballl reasons' as the reason.

imagesrdecievin
08-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Have refs consistently call travels, carrying etc.

thechom80
08-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Give Dwight a lifetime ban.

SportsFanatic10
08-06-2012, 12:34 AM
force a dwight to the bobcats deal.

but in all seriousness i think i'd get the 1 on 1 allstar break tourney going. its what everyone wants to see, it needs to just happen. also attempt to deal with flopping and i'd make sure video review was used more frequently during games in general. even if it takes longer i'm a fan of getting it right. maybe give the coaches challenges to use like the nfl.

Gritz
08-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Get rid of charges

ChitownBears22
08-06-2012, 12:50 AM
I would give David Stern a lifetime ban.

goalie
08-06-2012, 12:54 AM
spend more money on the stay in school program

bucketss
08-06-2012, 12:58 AM
contract the knicks and lakers, than veto every trade involving dwight howard untill he ends up in Toronto -_-

Cal827
08-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Force Dwight to Bobcats

SA5195
08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Play a game on the court

Procision
08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Try and clean up the flops, i would instate this.

Some of the more obvious flops (Some are just too judgmental to make an actual ruling) will be reviewed. If a player is found guilty first result is a hefty fine, 2nd fine with a 1 game suspension, 3rd fine/3 game, 4th fine/8games and so on...

Wouldn't clean it up completely but i think this is the best way. The small ones are way too judgmental and this will even clean those up as it will be in the players heads not to flop.

douglas
08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Nude cheerleaders!

allvalleychamp
08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
one year contracts, no salary limit but a hard salary cap

naps
08-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Suspend Dwight for 2 years from NBA.

SportsFanatic10
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Nude cheerleaders!

haha nice. /thread.

DreamShaker
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Raise my salary to 20 million a day, then walk away with my check and I'm set.

Da Knicks
08-06-2012, 01:21 AM
contract the knicks and lakers, than veto every trade involving dwight howard untill he ends up in Toronto -_-

:(

I would get rid of flopping and charges...

blastmasta26
08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
I would name myself commissioner for the next two years. If that's against the rules, then name myself deputy commissioner and assassinate David Stern. Once I'm in charge, I'll then rig everything in the Knicks' favor.

bucketss
08-06-2012, 01:38 AM
:(

I would get rid of flopping and charges...

There are alot of really annoying laker and knick fans in my neighbourhood nothing personal;)

oballerc75
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
buy as many cars, and get as much ***** as possible

Hellcrooner
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Eliminate the Draft, the salary cap and the max salary restrictions.
Create Vertical divisions.

Basically, introduce " how the other 300 countries in the world " make things in america.

MickeyMgl
08-06-2012, 01:46 AM
You have recently been named NBA commishoner. What do you do? For the sake of this thread, any change you make has to stay for at least 2 years for the better or for the worse meaning you could potenitally make it great or make it irrelevant with the decisions you make.

What do you do.

I'd get myself a lot of bling that says "commishoner" on it. A crown, a pendant, a goblet, a grill...

Hotone1401
08-06-2012, 01:49 AM
I would personally like to see the officiating change. After watching FIBA or Olympics, I have a much deeper respect for their style of play. Their game is physical but still very clean. The absence of superstar calls as well no home team calls makes for really great and competitive basketball.

The FIBA game to me is where our U.S. superstars really prove their abilities as players. Just my opinion.

Reyes6
08-06-2012, 01:51 AM
1. Unrig the draft lottery
2. Create a hard salary cap
3. Make Dwight play in Orlando or go to the WNBA
4. Put David Stern in the dunk contest
5. Get rid of the dunk contest once that happens
6. Create a one-on-one tournament instead
7. Make the all-star game determine home court advantage
8. Don't allow the league to take control of a team ever again
9. Lessen the strict calling of technical fouls
10. Appoint myself commish for life

chrisf975
08-06-2012, 01:53 AM

What do you do.

commissioner

shep33
08-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Nude cheerleaders!

Nude fans

shep33
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Refs wearing body paint.

NYKnicksAllDay
08-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Increase the 12 man active roster to 15.

Puck017
08-06-2012, 02:10 AM
1. Eliminate the two year waiting period for a team changing its name

2. Change the rules surrounding the amnesty clause
a) It will be reissued in the 2016-2017 season and unused ones will expire at the time
b) It can be traded
c) It can be used on any player under contract

3. They may have had a reason for this but I think its beyond stupid that a player resigning during the season for a max contract will make less than if he waited until the season was over to sign the contract. Thus if a player is making the max it will be based on how many years they have been in the league and will have nothing to do with when they sign the contract.

4. Lower the commissioner's salary to $25,000 a year and donate the rest to various charities that the NBA is affiliated with as well as one that helps restore or build more inner city parks with basketball courts. Dunno how much he makes so it might not go very far.

5. Issue any bonus checks on that day to league employees.

Unfortunately 2 & 3 are part of the CBA and the commissioner has no power to change it on his own. But who knows I would at least attempt to get the NBAPA and owners to amend the CBA.

obie
08-06-2012, 02:16 AM
hard cap. no lux tax

Losoway
08-06-2012, 02:19 AM
make showbolting after dunks legal!

John Walls Era
08-06-2012, 02:21 AM
demand a big raise

Avenged
08-06-2012, 02:22 AM
1 day is not enough time to do anything..

joshhorvath
08-06-2012, 02:25 AM
i dont personally know what a commishoner is... but i know what a commissioner is... fix your spelling mistakes bud...

But i'd add a team to vancouver :)

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-06-2012, 02:27 AM
:dance: Amnesty Kobe! :dance:

And then assign him to the D-League. :smoking:

Evolution23
08-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Change the rules... No fouls and no out of bounds... No nuttin

Puck017
08-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Change the rules... No fouls and no out of bounds... No nuttin

Can't even keep the baskets or the balls. Damn thats harsh just gonna kill the sport for two years. Or are you saying they're just going to have the hoop and ball with now way to score because to rule is gone. When you say no nuttin what is being reduced to nuttin?

--23--
08-06-2012, 03:06 AM
-Bring back old school hand checking.

-Clean up the flops by handing out tech's/fines & and even suspensions upon review.

-Remove Zone Defense and go back straight Man-to-Man defense (using the Illegal defense guidelines from the 80's-00's)

-New final year contract rule(Melo/Dwight Rule). If a player is under contract in his final year and he gets traded, that team will have a 'team option' to extend him(1yr) automatically. This rule can only be used once per CBA similar to the amnesty rule.

That's all i can think of now

tapajafri
08-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Give the 2002 Sacramento Kings the championship title they earned

Dade County
08-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Get rid of 1 team from each conference...

Then those players go to other small market/bad history teams ( for the remainder of their contract).

krrys11
08-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Nude cheerleaders!

I like that one a lot !

But My first thing would be that NBA player need to spend longer in collage or in Europe.

Then the one on one games.

Then Cheerleaders !

Rocketsfan85
08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I'd fine all players who flop intentionally

Chris Paul
Pau Gasol
Manu Ginobli
Kyle Lowry
etc etc.....

Vinylman
08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
1. Contract 4 teams
2. Eliminate flopping by implementing a fine/suspension system. Review will be done both at the game level (during game) and league level (after game).
3. Implement reseeding of playoff teams each round

Not alot else a commish can do... obviously nothing related to the CBA because that would take NBAPA approval... hell, number 1 might require their approval...

eternal slumber
08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
will make Kate Upton my secretary.:clap:

dee279
08-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Eliminate all current refs and bring in female Refs who look like models and dress them down in black and white body paint lingerie. Thats all i would need to do.

dee279
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Well i would also make a fantasy draft happen and give the Heat the first 5 picks and then allow the rest of the teams to pick after.

BklynKnicks3
08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I would put lebron james on bobcats or kick him out the nba

Toastyy
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Issue the "4 point line"

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Expansion teams for Mexico city and London! And add some new awards to spread the love around at the end of the season.

Wade>You
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
1) Outsource the officiating to an independent company.

2) Get rid of the fines for Technical fouls and replace them with 2 or 3 FTAs instead. I think coaches and players will calm down when the other team is getting free points and it ends up costing them games.

3) Get rid of the draft lottery so teams don't tank to win the lottery. Replace it with a 1 game elimination "playoff" tournament at the end of the season that rewards teams based on their standings in the tournament.

BobbyHillSwag
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
check wade for steroids and have swinger party with cheerleaders. Wade is the only player that willbe checked though

BobbyHillSwag
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Issue the "4 point line"

dude is your sign the iverson crossover on jordan? also, Antoine walker would instantly become goat once you implement the 4 point line.

Cal827
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
A few more:

-Be able to trade the Amnesty (someone already suggested this. It's a great idea for the teams that were intelligent with their money so they can pick up more (E.g. To get rid of Amare's contract, would NY be willing to part with Shumpert in a deal to bring another Amnesty back?)

- Not sure if this is a rule already, but anybody that decides to sit out a season in order to be dealt will not only lose their salary for that whole year, their contract doesn't move either (E.g. If Dwight sat out the year to be dealt, he would still have that 1 yr deal intact)

- Hire Dan Gilbert as the ref to all Heat Games.

The Ron Artest Rule: If a fan throws something at a player during a game, then they become fair game.

-Send Javale Mcgee back to Elementary school.

- Make the NBA draft like the NHL draft, where the worst team has about a 50% chance of winning the lotto, and worst 5 teams are the only ones who have a shot at 1st overall. A team lower can still "win" the lottery by moving up, but only 5 spots at the max. For example, suppose that the Knicks are the worst team in the League, but the Raptors (placed 8th worst) "win" the lottery, the Raps would move up 5 spots to 3rd overall, but the Knicks would still select first. This would also be good as only 1 lower team would move up if this happens.... you won't see the 8th worst and the 7th worst teams have the 3rd and 2nd picks in the same draft. They would only misplace the lower teams by one spot. From the example before the order would be 1,2,8,3,4,5.....

- Any player on steroids gets a raise.

freedas
08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
1 mandatory 2 years in college.
2 like mlb have an outside agency in control of the officiating.
3 use of more instant replay and bad officiating calls, if a coach challenge, 1 challenge a game.

Ty Fast
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
contraction

JayAllDay
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Move Nets to Vegas
Shut down the Bobcats
Move the Clippers to Anaheim
Have Toronto share the team with Buffalo

Don't like it? Whatever it's basketball reasons

AKAYaReal
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
1) Eliminate the CBA or restrict its power.

2) Raise the Cap to 85mil but make it a hard cap.

3) To create full balance to the league and small market teams, make the coaching staffs salary count against a teams cap.

4) Fully restructure a players pay scale.
A: Rookie contracts are guarenteed for 3-4yrs but the 1st yr is depended upon what number they were drafted, the following yrs fall under the new player pay scale (B)

B: Players can only make what they earn. Players new contract is depended upon the work they did during the course of the previous contract. This will depend on a formula based on a combo of different stats like ppg, rpg, apg, fg%, ft%, % of games played (so injury pron players dont make out like bandits) and so on and so forth. By doing this, a player can't have a great contract yr but only had mediocre yrs before then get a max (bird rights will play the same role). Teams would also only be allowed to hand out only 1 max or have 1 max at a time. Once a player goes over seas for 2yr or more, he will have to resign for a vet min. This is all so there can truly be competitive balance and allows teams to not have to over pay players.

5) Lower the price of NBA league pass to pull in more subs and ultimately more revenue.

6) Contract a 4th ref from a outside agency to sit at the scorers table to review every call and reverse calls that are questionable because he has full rights to review any call because he has the monitor there and is not there for the live action calls. This will work with a flop that is clearly a flop.

7) And most importantly, give myself $.10 off of every jersey sale the NBA profits off of the the next 10yrs.

D-Block21-Chito
08-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Change the pension plan to 7 figures annually for the Commissioner, then retire before the end of the day. :)

Blitzbolt
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
no flops

WhiteSoxGod
08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I would not allow players into the NBA until they have spent at least 3 years in college. If they have any major criminal charges on their record, it would be mandatory they be put on NBA probation and attend behavioral classes.

Puck017
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Award Expansion teams to Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal & San Diego.

Introduce a relegation system to the NBA. The top 10 teams in each conference would be in League 1, while the bottom 7 teams in each conference are in league 2. At the end of the year bottom three teams of league 1 are relegated and to three teams of league 2 are promoted.

League 2 will play an 75 game schedule with the top to teams from each conference playing in a seven game series for the 8th seed in the league 1 playoff brackett

I would also introduce a compensation systems for signing other teams free agent awarding different levels of compensation depending on the players level of play over their previous contract.

The leagues with play each other in their regular season schedule, but it will favor the teams in their league.

Hunter48MVP
08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I would give David Stern a lifetime ban.

this lol

JWO35
08-06-2012, 10:19 PM
1. Allow HS players to be eligible for the NBA again.

2. Change the Playoff format(1st rd: 3gm series; 2nd round: 5gm series; Conf. & NBA Finals: 7gm series)

3. Expand the active Roster to 15 players vs 12

majmarcus
08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Id make the game less about politics & more about basketball. The game isnt decided on the court as currently constructed & I think we all know that. All that superstars get the calls, homecourt crap will be put to bed. A foul is a foul, superstar or not, home or road.

There are entirely too many unecessary rules in the Nba. From uniform gear to trades/salary cap/etc...

Id make it mandatory to watch games from the 80's. How it was played & called. I do however agree with the technical calls though because of the constant bytchn by the players. I will NOT allow myself to be involved in any trades whatsoever!!!! If the teams agree on a deal, THATS IT because I aint vetoing chit!!!! Ill commish for the sole purpose of trying to better/further the game of basketball & putting the best REAL product on the floor that fans around the world love to watch without being concerned about the possibility of fixed games.

Wade>You
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I would not allow players into the NBA until they have spent at least 3 years in college. If they have any major criminal charges on their record, it would be mandatory they be put on NBA probation and attend behavioral classes.I understand it's mostly the project players that shouldn't be going straight to the NBA, but if the NBA is supposed to be the league where the best go to play, and there's a great player(s) that could be tearing up the NBA but is stuck in college, then something's wrong.

Besides, it's not like every player that went to college turned out to be a solid pro. Drafting and scouting isn't an exact science.

Wade>You
08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Change the pension plan to 7 figures annually for the Commissioner, then retire before the end of the day. :)
lmao this deserves a quote.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Hard cap effective immediately.

LaLa_Land
08-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I would really try to shore up all-star weekend.

Mandate popular players to participate in a competitive, well advertised dunk contest. Lebron vs Rose or something like that. Pick two random high level, popular players to do a stand-off dunk contest.

Same type of one-on-one tournament. Take the top 2 vote getters by a certain position each year, and have them play in a one on one for a title of sorts.

This is cheeky...but make the winner of the all-star game own home court for the finals, like baseball. I think it'd make for a much more competitive game.

s3antana5757
08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I'd completely re-do the whole economics of the league. First, it'd be a hard cap similar to the NBA with the cap around 75 million. No more of this MLE garbage, sign and trade, protected picks. All of this is stupid and creates competitive imbalances. No more lottery system.

You'd be able to re-do contracts whenever, and not have all these mandatory maximum raises. So you could pay a guy $2MM one year and $20MM the next if you wanted. No more 125% rule. If you're under the cap, you're fine. 1st round pick trading becomes relevant because there's no longer protection.

All the fouling and stuff has been talked about ad naseum in this thread, but it needs to be addressed. I would make a technical foul worth a personal foul as well. I bet these guys calm down real quick. Start calling travels and carries, and allow guys to sag into a zone and into the paint. Get rid of the defensive 3 seconds. If you want to camp a guy there, go for it. He's either going to be a game changer, or someone is going to knock down mid range jumpers all day. Alot less driving and dunking down wide open lanes.

knickfan33
08-07-2012, 09:12 AM
have old school refs hold a training program for these "refs" basketball is such a pansy sport now

BK-TY
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
4. Lower the commissioner's salary to $25,000 a year and donate the rest to various charities that the NBA is affiliated with...

Let's not get TOO carried away. LOL. Add one more "0" to that number.

BK-TY
08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
1. Restrict the age limit to 21 as of the first day of free agency.

2. Hard cap... 70 to 75 mil.

3. Allow amnesty every three years. Team that picks up amnestied player is
responsible for FULL remaining value of player's existing contract.

4. Get rid of that damn circle under the basket and prevent players from "sliding"
in front of a shooting opponent to draw charges.

5. No alcohol sales after the third period.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
You either declare for the draft out of High School, or you go to three years of college. I cant stand one and dones in college.

yanksrock
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Nude cheerleaders!

:clap:

shizzle09
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Nude cheerleaders!

:clap:

D Blue987
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I am vetoing Miami's championship for "**** you I am the commissioner and can do whatever I want" reasons.

njolakoski
08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Bringing back the defensive play of the 90's, by eliminating ticky-tack rules.

abe_froman
08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
cut the number of playoff teams(it losses any prestige when over half the league gets in)
move hornets to charlotte,move bobcats to seattle change their name to sonics and award them back they're history(then force a boyout of owners and convert to the green bay packers model of ownership)
no star treatment,if your truly a star than you can excel without help from refs
i like the nude cheerleader idea...but i also like slutty outfits on girls,so whatever...

Wade>You
08-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Golf and Chess are lacking physicality. I wish it would go back to the way it used to be.

Evolution23
08-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Move the Nets back to Dirty Jersey. Move the Thunder back to Seatle and call em the Sonics.

R8Rfriar
08-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Get rid of the "Draft Lottery" the top pick is awarded to the franchise with the worst Record

Team with the best over all record gets home court in the Finals (2-2-1-1-1 format)

Impose fines for "flopping"

Impose fines for bad ref calls that Influence the outcome of the game (suspensions for playoffs/finals)

Just to name a few

Hellcrooner
08-08-2012, 01:05 AM
would order to get EVERY nba player tested for doping by surprise that same eavening.

Nasty surprise coming a plenty.

And that includes euros.

KB24PG16
08-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Nude fans

Refs wearing body paint.

lol wut? sounds a bit...

silvTeg98
08-08-2012, 01:29 AM
force the clippers out of staples

Trueblue2
08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
In addition to adding either a 1on1 or 2on2 tournament in the all star weekend and adding penalties for flopping I have an original idea that I would be interested in seeing happen.

Set up a waiver wire system similar to the Amnesty clause with a few major differences. If a player is waived the winning claim is the highest bidder, the player has 3 days to be claimed. After 3 days the player has cleared waivers and can not be claimed. The claiming team only has to pay the player what they bid for him. The players entire salary will be counted against the claiming team's salary cap, but only the amount of the bid is counted against the luxury tax. Once waived, claimed, and signed/traded a player can not play on the team that waived him until his current contract expires.

If the waiver claim puts the claiming team over the cap they can either S&T with the waived players original team, spend the MLE in order to sign the waived player, or waive their own players in order to get under the salary cap. If the claiming team can't clear cap space, put together a good enough S&T package, and is unwilling to spend the MLE the waiver claim goes to the next highest bidder. If the claiming team is not put over the salary cap by picking up the player then the player is awarded to the claiming team without the option of a S&T.

If claimed the players salary is completely off of his original team's books, but they will still be paying him the difference between the winning bid and his salary. If the player is not claimed he remains on the team that placed him on waivers. Waivers must happen during the off season. There is no limit to the amount of players a team can waive in one off season, but once claimed the player can not be taken off waivers (the original team however has the right to reject any S&T package for a waived player).

If a player on a luxury tax paying team clears waivers he can be packaged with draft picks in a S&T in order to bring in another teams FA. This will increase the amount of players and the average talent level of players on the waiver wire because there is incentive for a team in the luxury tax to have a player that has cleared waivers. Once a player clears waivers he cannot be placed back on waivers until next years off season.

I think this would benefit both large and small market teams. It allows small market teams to get a high salary player at a huge discount and it's a way to even the playing field as far as recruiting players to small markets. It gives big market teams a way to quickly clear cap space and get back down closer to the salary cap and a way for a lux tax paying team to work out a sign and trade.

GoferKing_
08-08-2012, 06:38 AM
I would tak all the money there is and run.xD

WhiteSoxGod
08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I understand it's mostly the project players that shouldn't be going straight to the NBA, but if the NBA is supposed to be the league where the best go to play, and there's a great player(s) that could be tearing up the NBA but is stuck in college, then something's wrong.

Besides, it's not like every player that went to college turned out to be a solid pro. Drafting and scouting isn't an exact science.

It's more about educating youth and allowing them that education to fall back on. Not all athletes will learn things but believe me 3 years will help. It will also improve the college game.

LongWayFromHome
08-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I would take gigantic bribes to help some teams out with schedule/rules/trades, etc.