PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Co-MVP's

Chronz
08-05-2012, 09:46 PM
- Looking at the leagues history, do you feel there have been years in which 2 players should have shared the leagues top regular season award? I know the NBA has only awarded 1 award to 2 players (when Kidd and Hill were Co-ROY) but in years in which no one really stood far away from the pact, shouldnt voters have the option of splitting their top vote? Some felt Kidd and Duncan deserved to split the award (I disagree but thats one example)

What about when people use the fact that the best player has another great player alongside him stealing some votes, wouldnt it be nice to give them both the MVP? Like how Shaq only won it once because he had Kobe next to him. How about Kobe and Shaq sharing the MVP? Again, not saying I agree just giving examples.

So which years (if any) do you think there should have been Co-MVPs?

LongIslandIcedZ
08-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Last year I suppose, since Lebron didnt win it, you can definitely justify a split.

xxplayerxx23
08-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree, Last year would of been a good time to try it. Both deserved it.

Bruno
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
it'd be interesting if they gave out co-mvps. one for the best, most dominant individual player, regardless of team record or other political reasons. and one fitting the current requirement of team success and individual dominance (except on years when one player fits both descriptions).

nothing stands out to me specifically without looking up the numbers, but i'm sure there are tons of examples. kobe/paul 2008?

THE MTL
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I think that the year Kobe won it, he should have been co-mvp with paul. The lakers were stacked and only beat the hornets by one game in the standings. CP3 put up 21-11-3 which is one of the alltime pg seasons.

NoahH
08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Kobe / Nash in 06?

Raps08-09 Champ
08-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I think that the year Kobe won it, he should have been co-mvp with paul. The lakers were stacked and only beat the hornets by one game in the standings. CP3 put up 21-11-3 which is one of the alltime pg seasons.

Shouldn't have bee co-MVP's. It should have just been for Paul himself.

BobbyHillSwag
08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
it would absolutely water down the award. do not want

DaLyingofJungl3
08-05-2012, 10:32 PM
08-09 (LeBron & Wade)
02-03 Duncan & Kobe
11-12 Durant & LeBron

1993 Hakeem & Barkley or even MJ

Raps08-09 Champ
08-05-2012, 10:35 PM

MLB has no issues with having 2 people win MVP awards year after year. Why should it affect the NBA if co-MVP's happen the odd times where both players deserve it?

Cal827
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Kobe-Paul in 2008
Lebron-Wade in 09
Nash-Kobe in 06

All mentioned LOL

Nash-Shaq in 05
Rose-Dwight-Lebron Last Year

They really should consider having MVPs in both Leagues. Baseball and I think NFL do that.

Chronz
08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Kobe-Paul in 2008
Lebron-Wade in 09
Nash-Kobe in 06

All mentioned LOL

Nash-Shaq in 05

They really should consider having MVPs in both Leagues. Baseball and I think NFL do that.

Solid list, Bron and Wade were historical that year. CP3 and Kobe should at the least have been split.

But I dont like the idea of dual MVP for each conference. Dont ask why, just feels wrong.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Kobe-Paul in 2008
Lebron-Wade in 09
Nash-Kobe in 06

All mentioned LOL

Nash-Shaq in 05

MLB is a big league. There's way more players involved in MLB games than NBA games. Making 2 MVP's for the NBA is going to be weird when probably 2-4 players actually have a great case while in the MLB, there are many more players that can make an impact in the game.

Aust
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Which is good. The award is pretty overrated to begin with

lakers4sho
08-05-2012, 11:12 PM

Pau-less Lakers were 1st in the west at one point.

Bruno
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM

true. LALs winning percentage was already miles above their 2007 average in 2008 before Gasol was even trade to the Lakers. Bynum was coming of age and it showed; Gasol was the saving grace once Bynum got injured.

el hidalgo
08-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Personally, I think it is a stupid concept and this is a stupid thread.

STL Don
08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Kobe / Nash in 06?

Definitely agree they both should have been awarded the mvp

justinnum1
08-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Not a fan

bholly
08-05-2012, 11:31 PM
- Looking at the leagues history, do you feel there have been years in which 2 players should have shared the leagues top regular season award? I know the NBA has only awarded 1 award to 2 players (when Kidd and Hill were Co-ROY) but in years in which no one really stood far away from the pact, shouldnt voters have the option of splitting their top vote? Some felt Kidd and Duncan deserved to split the award (I disagree but thats one example)

What about when people use the fact that the best player has another great player alongside him stealing some votes, wouldnt it be nice to give them both the MVP? Like how Shaq only won it once because he had Kobe next to him. How about Kobe and Shaq sharing the MVP? Again, not saying I agree just giving examples.

So which years (if any) do you think there should have been Co-MVPs?

And Brand/Francis and Petrie/Cowens, fwiw.

Chavacano
08-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Kobe-Paul in 2008
Lebron-Wade in 09
Nash-Kobe in 06

All mentioned LOL

Nash-Shaq in 05

I agree.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
It waters down the award to me. I am not in favor of it, even if I don't agree with some of the results.

ThunderMan724
08-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Honestly, I don't like this idea too much. Maybe an MVP for each conference, like someone else said. I'd be just as happy with out it though..

Baseball also has exponentially more players than the NBA does. And its harder to weigh their impact, making it harder to determine who should get the MVP. In the NBA its a little more simple.

CP3 should have gotten the MVP in 2008, and Kobe should have gotten it in 2006, when he averaged 30+ ppg and dropped 81 that season. Duncan is a candidate as well.

THE MTL
08-06-2012, 01:11 AM

And the hornets were 1st in the league at one point too. Whats is ur point? Its all about the finish and gasol brought yall over the top for a great finish and 2 championships.

Paul deserved it that season. However, kobe's career was a factor as well. To be so great and never win, it was like something finally owed to him. U really cant argue 2006 against nash either. Suns were the best team, had no amare, improved record to 60 wins, and nash had an alltime great pg season. 19ppg 10apg 50 FG%-40 3PT%-90 FT%.

lakers4sho
08-06-2012, 02:09 AM
And the hornets were 1st in the league at one point too. Whats is ur point? Its all about the finish and gasol brought yall over the top for a great finish and 2 championships.

Paul deserved it that season. However, kobe's career was a factor as well. To be so great and never win, it was like something finally owed to him. U really cant argue 2006 against nash either. Suns were the best team, had no amare, improved record to 60 wins, and nash had an alltime great pg season. 19ppg 10apg 50 FG%-40 3PT%-90 FT%.

your initial assertion was that the "lakers were stacked". before gasol came, no they weren't. kobe was playing with odom, a coming-to-form bynum, and essentially the same team as the year before that, a team that was 2 games above 0.500. CP3 has his team tailor fit to his skillsets, plus an all star PF in david west and a defensive beast in tyson chandler. he's had as much help as kobe did in 2008. and we didn't even win the championship that season, but that is a moot point, since the MVP was decided before then.

John Walls Era
08-06-2012, 02:20 AM
MLB has no issues with having 2 people win MVP awards year after year. Why should it affect the NBA if co-MVP's happen the odd times where both players deserve it?

baseball is an entirely different game. they have some different rules in each conference.

Losoway
08-06-2012, 02:21 AM
i dont believe in awarding second place

JordansBulls
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't like it. They changed the player of the month from being one player to being a player in both conferences back in 2002.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/pom.html

Hawkeye15
08-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Don't like it. They changed the player of the month from being one player to being a player in both conferences back in 2002.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/pom.html

They could do an MVP from each conference I suppose, but I still like the current format, since both conferences play against each other plenty.

Ty Fast
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
i dont think they should

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2012, 12:20 PM
There are several deserving players every season. I feel CP3 was just as deserving as LBJ and Durant, especially considering the turnaround the Clippers had. They gave up several key pieces to get CP3 and one might expect the team taking a step back before they took a step forward considering all the pieces they gave up, but CP3 took them from the lottery to the second round of the playoffs. That's a huge difference. But LBJ is clearly the better player, so who should get it? I think the biggest problem with the MVP award is that some people vote for the "most valuable" player, and some vote for the best player. I think they need two awards. An MOA award (most outstanding player, going to the best player in the league) and a MVP going to the player who was most valuable to his team. Sometimes a player might win both, but often I think you would see the awards get split between two players. I'd also like to see the IBM award brought back, and think there should be two defensive players of the year awards, one for the front court, and one for the back court/wing. But that's just me. I'd like to see a little more love spread around at the end of the season.

KingPosey
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Maybe Kobe and Nash, but there is always an argument to be made.

CP3 last year with LBJ maybe. IDk.

b@llhog24
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Weak sauce.

JordansBulls
08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Weak sauce.

Is this your new saying now?