PDA

View Full Version : Could An International All-Star Team Beat Team USA?

JasonJohnHorn
08-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Simple question: Could An International All-Star Team Beat Team USA in a seven game series? And if you answer yes, I'm curious to see who you would put on this team.

Discuss

Method28
08-04-2012, 11:02 PM
This is going to be a lonely thread because the answer is huge NO.

For the people who did vote YES....they wont post because they probably tried to put a team together after they voted and realized they were dead wrong.

COOLbeans
08-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I was just thinking about that. And no I can't imagine an international team winning a best of 3 series. Maybe a game only.

LakersMaster24
08-04-2012, 11:08 PM
What do you mean by that? As in All Stars in various international leagues, or All Star players that currently play in the NBA but are not American born?

justinnum1
08-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Nope.

C-Wick925
08-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Is Baby Oil better than Jergens?

MrfadeawayJB
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I think they could.

Nash/Parker/Caldron/Rubio
Ginoboli/Barbosa/Fernandez/Navarro
Batum/Pietrus/Nocioni
Gasol/Horford/Ibaka
Gasol/Valucinias/Nene

Of course if they had chemistry like many european teams do that would be deadly

JerseyPalahniuk
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Enough with the ignorance people

PG: Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon
SG: Manu Ginobili, Barbosa, Navarro, Shved
SF: Luol Deng, Batum, Andrei Kirilenko, Gallinari
PF: Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Serge Ibaka, Nene
C: Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Andrew Bogut, Pekovic

Pick a 12 man roster.

Use any of those SF's as SG's when Manu's not in (or two Pg's). Yeah I think they could win a game or two....

lakers4sho
08-04-2012, 11:21 PM
yes

MrfadeawayJB
08-04-2012, 11:21 PM

PF: Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Serge Ibaka

Use any of those SF's as SG's when Manu's not in (or two Pg's). Yeah I think they could win a game or two....

I knew i forgot a few marquee names. Peoples ignorance is crazy sometimes lol

JerseyPalahniuk
08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I knew i forgot a few marquee names. Peoples ignorance is crazy sometimes lol

Haha I guess we were thinking of our posts at the same time. I just edited in Nene too. People don't realize how good these big men are (the biggest weakness on our current team). Didn't even include players that thrive in international play (Scola, Fernandez, Kleiza, Sarunas, Pablo, etc)

BradHolt4CYoung
08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
USA would still be a better team but that team would def be talented enough to win a game vs them. Much bigger upsets have happened before...

JasonJohnHorn
08-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Pick a 12 man roster.

This is a great roster. I know if you took a player-by-player comparison that team USA is better as individual players, but I think the whole is bigger than the sum of it's part. The Lithuania game proved that by taking the lead against team USA with less than 4 minutes on the clock, and they only had one NBA bench warmer.

But even a player-by-player comparison, this team wins a couple of positions, most notably center and power forward. Having the Gasol brothers on the court at the same time, team USA's big men would get eaten alive, espcially considering that Horford and Noah are coming off the bench to spell at the center position (and you can throw Hibbert in there to since he plays for Jamaca).

Team USA certainly has better scorers at SF, but the international team has some amazing defenders at that position. And as for SG, Manu has out performed Kobe in a playoff series before, so I don't think it's crazy to say the international all-stars wouldn't be able to compete at that position.

And Nash and Parker were among the best PGs in the league this past season.

Chemistry is a big deal in this scenario, and so is the fact that there is only one ball. Team USA may have guys like; Kobe, Melo, LBJ and Durant who can all score 30+ a game, but the fact of the matter is that there is only one ball, the 30+30+30+30 does not equal 120 in this instance.

It would be a great series to watch and I hope the league puts on such a game at some point in the future. I'd love to watch it.

JasonJohnHorn
08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Is Baby Oil better than Jergens?

Yes, baby oil is better than jergens. But who is Team USA in this analogy? Baby oil or jergins? lol

MrfadeawayJB
08-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I also notice that the international teams seem to have better ball movement and take higher percentage shots. Team USA is too much about ISOLATION imo and if they lose the bad shot selection would be thier demise

D2theJ
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Considering they almost lost to Lithuania I'm gonna say yes its possible they could win a game eventually, but wouldn't win a series.

mdm692
08-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Yup but peoples homerism does not let them admit it.

Six-8-TheWizard
08-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Of course they could. Several individual countries could beat team USA. An all star team of international players could definitely win a series

LakersMaster24
08-05-2012, 01:10 AM
If you think that team posted in the post previously cant beat Team USA in 7 games, you are insane. That team is just as stacked. They have great passers through out the whole roster. They have smarter players.

Nobody would win by a landslide, but both sides have an equal chance to win.

The arrogance of some of the people here make me laugh. You think Team USA is some type of a unbeatable team. They are very beatable. Very.

Ebbs
08-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Could they, yea. Should they, no.

Davidgta1
08-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Yes

LOVE42
08-05-2012, 01:22 AM
International team has 2 or 3 players that would make the US team... i doubt it.

Avenged
08-05-2012, 01:31 AM
International all-stars versus OUR (Team USA) all-stars? I mean sure they can.. But I'd confidently take the best players in the world (TEAM USA) versus any other team.

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-05-2012, 01:38 AM
could they? Yes...but i wouldn't bet on it...

Evolution23
08-05-2012, 03:04 AM
They could win 2-3 games in a best of 7. No doubt in my mind.

LA_Raiders
08-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Yes, no question

thedfactor
08-05-2012, 03:19 AM
I think it would be a good series. 1 game, yes they could, but a series I don't think so.

Rocketsfan85
08-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Yea I think they could it just depends which 12 man roster u choose cuz if the other international teams came close to beating em than of course a international team of all stars from different teams all on one team could have a shot a beating em IMO...

GREATNESS ONE
08-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Yes but only on the condition that the international team can select any 3 players that are not currently on the roster.

Saying that I'm not gonna go as far and say they will win the series but surely if the right pieces were added, they would/could take a few games right?

looka09
08-05-2012, 04:34 AM
It would be a good series for sure,but i don't think that they could beat them more than 2 times in a series

BobbyHillSwag
08-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep, team usa wont have the luxury of ripping weak ball handlers every time down the court so they'll get exposed.

BALLER R
08-05-2012, 10:12 AM
People are looking at the names of the people on the team and not the make up of the team.

YashBoone
08-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Why not?
There are teams right now in the Olympics that have the potential to beat team USA. Linas Kleiza almost beat us.
Why, if you take the very best from every other team outside of USA, would they not be able to win?

I'm not saying they definitely win a best of 7. But, its more then just a slim possibility.

Red Hot Rolllin
08-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Ryder Cup for Hoops

I would watch

eternal slumber
08-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Considering they almost lost to Lithuania I'm gonna say yes its possible they could win a game eventually, but wouldn't win a series.

took the words out of my mouth.

BSardogan
08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Just looking at international bigs: Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Serge Ibaka, Nene, Ersan Ilyasova, Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Andrew Bogut. That's a hell of a lot to deal with for current Team USA bigs Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis.

jericho
08-05-2012, 11:08 AM
yes a team made out of international superstars would beat a team usa you guys tend to forget history. back in 02 a team of nba players the best players in the world right???? how many times did they lost that year???? the answer for you guys is 3. what bout in 04 for the olympic games opening game they lost by how many???? 19 points to a puerto rico team that had carlos arroyo a bench warmer in the nba killing the usa team again a team full of nba players the best bball players in the world. oh and the funny thing is that team had duncan lebron wade melo and iverson on the team. another funny thing is that the trio of wade melo and lebron have given the usa team the most loses they ever had with another loss 06.
so to answer the ??? again yes a team full of international allstars or wtvr could beat this usa team in a best of 7 series.
and i havent even mentioned who is gonna be on the team but for you guys to think that they dont have a shot is ridiculous.

BobbyHillSwag
08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
lol at you bringing up the 02 and the 04 team, neither one of those teams had the best players in the nba on the teams. 04 only had duncan and iverson and the rest of those players werent even close to the best in the nba and the 02 team i dont even know what the hell they were trying to accomplish with that, they were worse than the 04 team.

jericho
08-05-2012, 11:49 AM
lol at you bringing up the 02 and the 04 team, neither one of those teams had the best players in the nba on the teams. 04 only had duncan and iverson and the rest of those players werent even close to the best in the nba and the 02 team i dont even know what the hell they were trying to accomplish with that, they were worse than the 04 team.

did you check the posts of everybody else over here they think just because the usa team is composed of nba players they gonna win automatically
oh and
Iverson, Allen
Marbury, Stephon
Wade, Dwyane
Boozer, Carlos
Anthony, Carmelo
James, LeBron
Okafor, Emeka
Marion, Shawn
Stoudemire, Amar'e
Duncan, Tim
Odom, Lamar
Jefferson, Richard

not the greatest team but still good

Elton Brand
Antonio Davis
Baron Davis
Michael Finley
Raef LaFrentz
Shawn Marion
Andre Miller
Reggie Miller
Jermaine O'Neal
Paul Pierce
Ben Wallace
Jay Williams
Nick Collison

yeah that team suck but it wasnt that bad baron davis was a beast back in the day elton brand was a 20 & 10 guy matrix was matrix andre miller led the league in assist for a couple of seasons reggie well he still was reggie jermaine was good back then and ben wallace was the monster he was defensively everybody knows who paul pierce is and the sad 1 that makes me wonder what could have been if it wasnt for the motorcycle accident jay williams i really wanted to see him play a lil bit more :(

still they send good competion not the best like some of the other posters are trying to say they are nba players they are supposed to be the best right????

jericho
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
sorry forgot that michael finley used to be a 20ppg player 2

BobbyHillSwag
08-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree jericho, they werent scrubs at all but they werent the best of the best in the nba. You put the best of the best and they probably win gold. Hell you put the best of the best in the nba around 2004 and 2002 and they most likely beat the team usa's today. The players in the early 2000's were much better than they are now. Hell the 2003 usa team could prob beat the usa team today just with the addition of tmac and carter. It was such a drop off losing those two the next year. they had to play marbury and richard jefferson significant minutes. Then you had an injured iverson the whole year. That 04 team was destined to fail. Like I said though with the 02 team they didnt even have a top 10 player on that team. Hell, they only had two top 20 players on the team it was just bad.

jericho
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree jericho, they werent scrubs at all but they werent the best of the best in the nba. You put the best of the best and they probably win gold. Hell you put the best of the best in the nba around 2004 and 2002 and they most likely beat the team usa's today. The players in the early 2000's were much better than they are now. Hell the 2003 usa team could prob beat the usa team today just with the addition of tmac and carter. It was such a drop off losing those two the next year. they had to play marbury and richard jefferson significant minutes. Then you had an injured iverson the whole year. That 04 team was destined to fail. Like I said though with the 02 team they didnt even have a top 10 player on that team. Hell, they only had two top 20 players on the team it was just bad.

i have to agree with you on that 1 carter and tmac leaving was a drop off :(

Vinylman
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
An international all star team would lose the primary advantage that all country teams have and the only real advantage international teams have over the US...

whats that...

EXPERIENCE PLAYING TOGETHER...

The top international teams in some cases have been playing together for over a decade... the US team is thrown together every 4 years for 6 weeks

Would an international team win a game or two... sure ... but over time they would lose 80%+ of the games...

YashBoone
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
A team of international allstars would essentially be another team of nba allstars.

My opinion isn't just that they have a SHOT at winning a game, but the 7 game series could go either way.

Especially since team USA is flawed in the way it structured.

dee279
08-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Ok i put yes but i didnt notice the 7 game series. I was thinking one game so i say no.

knicksfan42
08-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Not even close if players who are injured like Dwight and Wade are on the team. You can see that the US treats these other teams like scrubs, if each player on Team USA gave it their all and they were healthy it would be a sweep. Oh and I assume we're playing with NBA rules, so no clogging the paint.

PG-Paul

SG-Durant

SF-LeBron

PF-Melo

C-Dwight

Sweep.

Win a 7 game series? :laugh2: Yea maybe if every player on Team USA was forced to hop on one foot the entire game.

jericho
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Not even close if players who are injured like Dwight and Wade are on the team. You can see that the US treats these other teams like scrubs, if each player on Team USA gave it their all and they were healthy it would be a sweep. Oh and I assume we're playing with NBA rules, so no clogging the paint.

PG-Paul

SG-Durant

SF-LeBron

PF-Melo

C-Dwight

Sweep.

Win a 7 game series? :laugh2: Yea maybe if every player on Team USA was forced to hop on one foot the entire game.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Ty_Lawson
08-05-2012, 05:07 PM
PG-Nash,Parker,Rubio,Calderon,Teodosic
SG-Manu,Navaro,Shved
SF-AK,Batum,Deng,Bogdanovic
PF-Dirk,Pau,Teletovic,Savanovic,Macvan
C-Marc,Noah,Krstic,Tomic

;)
@knicksfan why would you play with nba rules??it's not nba game so european rules!!

AsfanSince99
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Dude, can you name 1 Lithuanian, and they nearly beat TEAM USA.

b@llhog24
08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes.

TheRunKiller
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I think they could.

Nash/Parker/Caldron/Rubio
Ginoboli/Barbosa/Fernandez/Navarro
Batum/Pietrus/Nocioni
Gasol/Horford/Ibaka
Gasol/Valucinias/Nene

Of course if they had chemistry like many european teams do that would be deadly

You talking about this current team or the if they had everyone healthy?

Rose/Williams/Paul/Westbrook
Kobe/Wade/Johnson/Ellis or Harden
James/Carmelo/Durant
Bosh/Love/Griffin
Howard/Bynum/Chandler

LOL it would be unfair

TheRunKiller
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
see i forgot to put the PFs on there see how good they are

smith&wesson
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
t.parker-nash
gino-barbosa
deng-batum-ak47
dirk-ibaka-horford
gasol-nene-m.gasol

imo those are the best international players.
4 of them are nba champions.(gasol, gino, parker, dirk)
1 of them is a 2 time nba mvp. (nash)
2 of them play for legit contenders, (ibaka& deng)
all stars in horford & deng, sold 6th man in barbosa, and some solid all around players ak47 & batum.

very nice team on paper. . . considering the fact that lithuania almost beat the u.s i would say yes this inter all star team could beat them..

showtime24
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Pick a 12 man roster.

With this line up YES! That frontline will eat the team USA alive.

waveycrockett
08-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Lithuania almost beat the USA so this is a dumb *** question

RUBIO
MANU
DENG
DIRK
PAU
MARC GASOL
AL Horford
Roy Hibbert
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Nic Batum
Rudy Fernandez
Calderon
Ibaka

DEF COULD

Byronicle
08-05-2012, 08:01 PM
lol at all the people who think the US will win against team World

Nash/Rubio
Ginobili/Parker
Deng/Batum
Nowitzki/P.Gasol
M.Gasol/Nene

Bench: Gallinari, Ibaka

vs.

Rose/Paul
Bryant/Wade
Lebron/Durant
Anthony/Bosh
Howard/Chandler

bench: D.Williams, Love

------------------------------------

USA would have better defense and more talent, but better team play will always go to International players and too many egos on the US team

International players will win 4 - 2

NYKalltheway
08-05-2012, 08:23 PM
without any research:

Americas team:
Nash / Huertas / Prigioni
Ginobili / Barbosa / Barea
Delfino / Nocioni
Scola / Splitter
Horford / Nene / Hibbert

Europe team: (no NBAers)
Diamantidis / Teodosic / Jasikevicius
Navarro / Spanoulis
Khryapa / San Emeterio / Jasaitis
Fotsis / Macvan / Savanovic
Kaun / E. Lorbek / Bourousis

I like both teams chances be it best of 7 or a one off.

passittome
08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
You talking about this current team or the if they had everyone healthy?

Rose/Williams/Paul/Westbrook
Kobe/Wade/Johnson/Ellis or Harden
James/Carmelo/Durant
Bosh/Love/Griffin
Howard/Bynum/Chandler

LOL it would be unfair

PG - Nash, Parker
SG - Manu, Barbosa
SF - Deng, Batum
PF - Pau, Horford, Ibaka
C - M. Gasol, Hibbert, Noah

USA's biggest advantage is its bench. Choosing reserves from the ENTIRE world I'm sure you could come up with a lineup that could hold its own against USA. Controlling the paint and having less turnovers should help INT'L slow down a 40 min game to counter USA transition game. There would also be continuity with gasols/ibaka on team spain, horford/noah from college, Parker/manu and nash/barbosa from NBA. that would help the result from being totally unfair. USA. Rose coming off major surgery, wade/kobe age concerns, James won't be the all position defender vs INT'L bigs. bynum has maturity issues with his own team not sure how well he'd represent USA in dedication in an unpaid game.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2012, 07:24 AM
t.parker-nash
gino-barbosa
deng-batum-ak47
dirk-ibaka-horford
gasol-nene-m.gasol

imo those are the best international players.
4 of them are nba champions.(gasol, gino, parker, dirk)
1 of them is a 2 time nba mvp. (nash)
2 of them play for legit contenders, (ibaka& deng)
all stars in horford & deng, sold 6th man in barbosa, and some solid all around players ak47 & batum.

very nice team on paper. . . considering the fact that lithuania almost beat the u.s i would say yes this inter all star team could beat them..

2 of them play for legit contenders? You or got Parker who has won several rings, Gasol and Nash and Nowitski. That's 6.

Captain Moroni
08-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Playing without nba refs is like going from watching pro wrestling to Olympic Greco roman wrestling.
Without all the "Stern Rules" that apply to NBA Stars, ie...traveling, carrying, pushing off, Etc, These players are more human than you think.
With international refs.....whole different game.

cdnsportsfan
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I saw someone mention Tim Duncan as an international player, technically born in the US Virgin Islands so I guess he would be considered as playing for the U.S. Unless this is only mainland - is this supposed to include players from any country tied to the States? Do Puerto Ricans count as US players here? If not, then Duncan could probably be added to the Int'l roster.

cdnsportsfan
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
A couple years ago I'd say yes, International squad would win no question - that was when Nash and Nowitzki were winning MVP's, Yao was still in the league, Duncan was younger (if we're considering Duncan an International player anyways), and some players were still somewhat relevant (such as Turkoglu). Right now the best of the crop is getting a bit older so it's more of a question, although I still think the Int'l team would come out on top (too many ego's on Team USA).

Things to keep in mind though going forward, there are some promising young Int'l players in the league - at least when I think of point guards there are anyways. All of Kyrie Irving, Ricky Rubio and Goran Dragic have the potential to perform at a high level in the NBA.

The NHL did a Canada vs The World all star game before, would be pretty cool to see something like that happen - even just once - in the NBA.

jericho
08-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I saw someone mention Tim Duncan as an international player, technically born in the US Virgin Islands so I guess he would be considered as playing for the U.S. Unless this is only mainland - is this supposed to include players from any country tied to the States? Do Puerto Ricans count as US players here? If not, then Duncan could probably be added to the Int'l roster.

duncan cant play for the virgin islands he is in the same boat as melo he cant play for puerto rico they forfeited there rights to play for those teams they chose to play for usa

cdnsportsfan
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
duncan cant play for the virgin islands he is in the same boat as melo he cant play for puerto rico they forfeited there rights to play for those teams they chose to play for usa

I understand that but I mean if we're going bare basics, those born in the U.S. versus those who were not. Not looking at the playing rights of players, but international players against players from the States.

Burgo
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Assuming chemistry doesn't factor into it as it can't be predicted I would say no. Man-for-man no collection of players would come close. The States would win in a landslide.

Voodoo Alchemy
09-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Pick a 12 man roster.

didn't patty mills torch the u.s.?

Pierzynski4Prez
09-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Hellcrooner: Yes
Rest of logical PSD posters: No

Mave1002
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
The Greeks did.

kevin13697
09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
I think if Team USA was healthy they would probably sweep the International all stars.

NoahH
09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Not in a million years

kdspurman
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Most definitely.

Hellcrooner
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Team usa

7 point win in 2012 and 11? point win in 2008.

Against ONE COUNTRY with only two allstars and a third dude ( absent this time around) that May one day be one.

You are delusional if you think an international team would get swept.

Hellcrooner
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
or if you want to put it other way.

Nash is a top 5 Pg
Parker is debatably a top5 pg and for sure a top 10 pg
Rubio may one day be a top 5 pg or even the ****ing number 1.

Manu is a top 5 Sg.

Deng is a top 10 SF.

Dirk and Pau are both top 5 PF and on many people lists they would even be 1 and 2.

Marc Gasol is a top 5 Center that you can debate even at 2 or 3.

Bogut/noah/Horford are all top 10 Centers.

The talent is there.

itsbeefy11
09-06-2012, 01:13 AM
why no love for patty mills? had a hell of a run at the olympics....