PDA

View Full Version : How would a team USA B-Team do in the Olympics?

Trueblue2
08-04-2012, 07:32 PM
So like most of you I've been watching a little bit of the Olympics in my free time, one thing I've noticed was that in a lot of sports there are multiple athletes/teams that are from the same country that are both competing. Like in beach volleyball there are two american duos. That got me thinking what if there was an American B-team in basketball and I thought it would be a good discussion for the NBA forum to have.

So construct 12 man roster of US basketball players plus (at least) 3 alternates that didn't make the Olympic team that would make the B-team. Don't use any players that are not on the "A-team" because they chose not to participate (Rondo, Bynum, Etc.) and don't use any players that aren't participating because of injury (Howard, Rose, Bosh, Wade, Etc). What would be the ceiling of a team USA olympic b-team in the 2012 games.

Here's my Team

Lowry/Irving/Curry
E.Gordon/Allen
Pierce/Granger/Gay
Aldridge/Smith
Horford/Garnett

Alternates:
Monta Ellis
Roy Hibbert
Demarcus Cousins
Tyreke Evans
Lou Williams

I used 5 alternates because there are 5 question marks on the roster because of either age or injury (garnett, allen, pierce, curry, and gordon).

How do you think they could do in this games? I personally think they would make it to the Bronze medal match with a good chance of winning it. If Curry is still hurting I think his roster spot should/would go to Roy Hibbert and if Eric Gordon is still hurt I'd give his spot to Monta Ellis. This team has a combination of athleticism, experience, and youth with some very good defenders mixed in there. This team is also deep at PG with some very good 3pt shooters and has size that even the "a" team doesn't have, depending on the health of Gordon/Curry or the willingness to play of Allen/Garnett all 3 of our alternates could end up making the team. Even a team of:

Lowry/Irving/Williams
Ellis/Evans
Granger/Gay
Aldridge/Smith/Cousins
Horford/Hibbert

Could compete for Bronze.

Make your own team and say how you think they would do. If any of the Euro fans have anything to add (like the talent on other teams we wouldn't be familiar with) please share.

If a mod can add a poll that would be great:

A. Not make it out of their group
B. Get eliminated in the early rounds
C. Make it to a medal round but not medal
D. Win Bronze
E. Make it to the finals

IndyRealist
08-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Roy Hibbert can't compete for team USA, he played for Jamaica in international competition.

jetsfan28
08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I would say gold if it weren't for Dwight's injury. Without him, I'd say bronze.

Here's my team, not using anyone I think wouldn't go due to age or injury, but using Anthony Davis since Blake was supposed to go instead of him:

C: Anthony Davis, Greg Monroe
PF: Boogie Cousins, Taj Gibson, DeJuan Blair
SF: Danny Granger, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kawhi Leonard
SG: Paul George, Klay Thompson
PG: Kyrie Irving (it was before his injury), Jrue Holliday

All high character except Cousins (you can deal with one guy), insanely athletic, I like them for a bronze. It's also young enough that a team comprised of mostly these guys would be able to compete for a gold with the help of this experience four years later.

Phenomenonsense
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
I saw monroe and I was like Sweet, then I saw the rest of the line up, such as Davis at C over Moose or Cousins and shook my head.

jetsfan28
08-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I saw monroe and I was like Sweet, then I saw the rest of the line up, such as Davis at C over Moose or Cousins and shook my head.

Are you talking about mine? Because I do have Cousins starting. If you want to call him the center and Davis the PF, that's fine, doesn't exactly make a difference. Davis-Cousins make a more logical tandem, as do Monroe-Gibson off the bench.

Trueblue2
08-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Roy Hibbert can't compete for team USA, he played for Jamaica in international competition.

Well he'd just be an alternate, I'd be fine with cousins over him.

lexecutioner
08-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I believe Al Horford plays for Puerto Rico

Phenomenonsense
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Are you talking about mine? Because I do have Cousins starting. If you want to call him the center and Davis the PF, that's fine, doesn't exactly make a difference. Davis-Cousins make a more logical tandem, as do Monroe-Gibson off the bench.

I have no problem with the tandems, and considering what you said it looks fine, but the AD at C really threw me.

jetsfan28
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Also, neither Hibbert (Jamaica) nor Horford (DR) can play for the US

JasonJohnHorn
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure about the list you got up there, but I do believe with the proper coaching and the right amount of time together that a "B-Team" could easily win a gold medal at the Olympics. It's important to keep in mind that several members of this currenty team would be on the "B-Team" as a few of the "A-Team" guys are injured. Most countires don't even have enough NBA talent to fill out their starting line-up, let alone a quality 8-man rotation.

Keep in mind to that guy like Garnett and Duncan, who aren't even on the current roster, would likely do better in international competition than some of the guys currently on the roster. And then the thought that guys like Rondo and Pierce and Ray Allen would be available for the roster as well. There is far too much depth in the US, even a "C-Team" roster would be able to win a gold at the Olympics. America is that dominant. International play has improved drastically over the last twenty years, so whatever talent you have together needs to know how to play together, but yeah, America is still head and shoulders above the rest of the world at basketball.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Paul Pierce/Garnett/Allen would NOT play in the Olympics this year, especially on a "B" team. And like people mentioned, no Hibbert or Horford. Aldridge was also unable to play because of injuries. Can't count Davis since he's on this team. That shortens your lineup to:

Lowry/Irving/Williams
Ellis/Evans
Granger/Gay
Smith

I would add Monroe as the starting PF and put Cousins at C. I wouldn't want Lou Williams/Ellis/Granger/Evans all on the same team. I would have someone like Paul George or Kwahi Leonard instead.

They might get the Bronze if they had a great coach to hand them their roles (Doc or Pop)

tredigs
08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I would say gold if it weren't for Dwight's injury. Without him, I'd say bronze.

Here's my team, not using anyone I think wouldn't go due to age or injury, but using Anthony Davis since Blake was supposed to go instead of him:

C: Anthony Davis, Greg Monroe
PF: Boogie Cousins, Taj Gibson, DeJuan Blair
SF: Danny Granger, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kawhi Leonard
SG: Paul George, Klay Thompson
PG: Kyrie Irving (it was before his injury), Jrue Holliday

All high character except Cousins (you can deal with one guy), insanely athletic, I like them for a bronze. It's also young enough that a team comprised of mostly these guys would be able to compete for a gold with the help of this experience four years later.

Paul George and Klay over Joe Johnson/Kevin Martin? MKG and Kawhi over Rudy Gay? Taj and Blair over Josh Smith, Garnett and 13 other PF's?

Can't cosign here. I liked OP's team, but we can't use Hibbert or Horford. Throw in Al Jefferson to play with Josh Smith.

Starters = Irving / Joe Johnson / Rudy Gay / Josh Smith / Al Jefferson.

That's probably Gold.

jetsfan28
08-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Paul George and Klay over Joe Johnson/Kevin Martin? MKG and Kawhi over Rudy Gay? Taj and Blair over Josh Smith, Garnett and 13 other PF's?

Can't cosign here. I liked OP's team, but we can't use Hibbert or Horford. Throw in Al Jefferson to play with Josh Smith.

Starters = Irving / Joe Johnson / Rudy Gay / Josh Smith / Al Jefferson.

That's probably Gold.

No way Joe Johnson goes IMO. Just don't see it happening. Same with Kevin Martin, who has been hurt too much.

Hell no to Josh Smith. He shoots stupid 3's constantly in the NBA, imagine what he'd do with the shortened line. Garnett obviously isn't going, not sure why you would even mention him. He was in the process of getting a new contract, he clearly needs the time off, no chance he'd remotely consider going.

Considered Gay, but I like the unselfishness of Kawhi and MKG, and they're also fantastic rebounders. And, like I said, I'd want guys who would help build the team up, both of those guys would be great fits on a 2016 team, not sure Gay would go.

Trueblue2
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
THanks for clearing up the nationalities I got wrong. Milsap and Jefferson would be next on my list to throw in there. The reason I listed alternates was because I was unsure whether certain players would participate, wanna put together your own team instead of just shooting down the thread? Idk I thought it was a pretty good idea for us to discuss, unless you wanna keep talking about NJ, NY, LAL, LAC, MIA, and Dwight, personally I'm sick of those threads. We could use at least one thread about something that's fun to discuss and we're not talking **** and face palming each other on every other post.

And I disagree that Pierce/Garnett/Allen wouldn't participate this year, yea it's the "B" team, but it's still the olympics and an honor and great experience. They'd meet the current team USA in the tournament and the opportunity to pull an upset would be a huge motivation to them. Whether they're old or young having the shot at upsetting the team that "could beat the dream team" would be a huge reason why some of these players would choose to participate, it's not like they'd be playing a full season, it's just one tournament. Most of these guys play street ball or in some sort of rec league in the offseason, at the very least being on the "B" team would be a far superior practice than anything else they would otherwise be doing in their training time. I think you may be underestimating the allure of playing a large role on an olympic basketball team.

Also Patrick Ewing was born and raised in Jamaica but he played for team USA. As long as you're a citizen of a country you're allowed to represent them in the olympics, I believe Hibbert has dual citizenship.

tredigs
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
No way Joe Johnson goes IMO. Just don't see it happening. Same with Kevin Martin, who has been hurt too much.

Hell no to Josh Smith. He shoots stupid 3's constantly in the NBA, imagine what he'd do with the shortened line. Garnett obviously isn't going, not sure why you would even mention him. He was in the process of getting a new contract, he clearly needs the time off, no chance he'd remotely consider going.

Considered Gay, but I like the unselfishness of Kawhi and MKG, and they're also fantastic rebounders. And, like I said, I'd want guys who would help build the team up, both of those guys would be great fits on a 2016 team, not sure Gay would go.

Haha it's a fantasy scenario bro, we're not actually GM'n a team and building them for the 2016 games, though I guess that's a fun idea too... (but there will be very few openings for anyone not named Kyrie Irving in 2016. Especially if you aren't a center).

Give me 1 or 2 threes from Josh Smith to supplement a vastly superior player than guys like Taj Gibson and Kidd-Gilchrist (ironic to knock Josh Smith for his 3's when you want MKG who has the same issue but is just far weaker of a player at this point). Garnett is also much better than both. Still a top 5 defender in the league, I don't care if he would not actually go. He's going in fantasy land. And he's dominating FIBA comp in limited minutes.

I like the players you chose, just not relative to who we could theoretically have there.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
THanks for clearing up the nationalities I got wrong. Milsap and Jefferson would be next on my list to throw in there. The reason I listed alternates was because I was unsure whether certain players would participate, wanna put together your own team instead of just shooting down the thread? Idk I thought it was a pretty good idea for us to discuss, unless you wanna keep talking about NJ, NY, LAL, LAC, MIA, and Dwight, personally I'm sick of those threads. We could use at least one thread about something that's fun to discuss and we're not talking **** and face palming each other on every other post.

And I disagree that Pierce/Garnett/Allen wouldn't participate this year, yea it's the "B" team, but it's still the olympics and an honor and great experience. They'd meet the current team USA in the tournament and the opportunity to pull an upset would be a huge motivation to them. Whether they're old or young having the shot at upsetting the team that "could beat the dream team" would be a huge reason why some of these players would choose to participate, it's not like they'd be playing a full season, it's just one tournament. Most of these guys play street ball or in some sort of rec league in the offseason, at the very least being on the "B" team would be a far superior practice than anything else they would otherwise be doing in their training time. I think you may be underestimating the allure of playing a large role on an olympic basketball team.

Also Patrick Ewing was born and raised in Jamaica but he played for team USA. As long as you're a citizen of a country you're allowed to represent them in the olympics, I believe Hibbert has dual citizenship.

I'm not trying to shoot down your thread but the assumptions you made in the roster. I completely understand your reasoning for creating a "fun" thread where we aren't just bashing each other. That's why I created that "Anti-Homer" and "What non All-Star would you trade for on your team" threads. Only "arguing" that could go on there would be healthy arguments within a fan base.

If you think Pierce/Garnett/Allen would love to represent the country at the Olympics then why have they never chosen to play in the Olympics before? I'm sure they were all asked to play at one point or another. Yes, many of the younger players are playing streetball or in rec leagues but do you really think the old Ray Allen/Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce are? Maybe a few games here or there but on a competitive team? Hell no.

Trueblue2
08-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Understood, sorry for making a wrong assumption about you, but it's kind of understandable given the general mentality of this forum. And I realize that the celts old big 3 might have reservations about playing in the olympics, which is why I listed alternates.

jericho
08-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I believe Al Horford plays for Puerto Rico

nope dominican republic i wish he was puertorican we need some inside presence and i also wish the melo chosed puerto rico 2 but he chose usa :(

JerseyPalahniuk
08-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah but to get back to your topic. Here's what my roster would be:

Again, can't use: any of the Olympic team, and those offered a position, LaMarcus Aldridge (was injured), Al Horford, Roy Hibbert. I'm also going with my logic earlier of not using older players since they usually aren't asked or are not interested to participate here.

Three deep each position:
PG: Kyrie Irving/ Stephen Curry/Kyle Lowry
SG: Eric Gordon/ Monta Ellis/ Paul George
SF: Danny Granger/Rudy Gay/ Kwahi Leonard
PF: Greg Monroe/ Josh Smith/ Taj Gibson
C: Demarcus Cousins/ Al Jefferson/ Brook Lopez

Oldest players are Granger (29), Gibson/Jefferson (27), Smith/Ellis/Lowry (26),

That's 15 players. I guess have tryouts/training camp to pick the final 12 from there?

THE MTL
08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Isnt there already a B-team? The US Select B Team that won the world championships. I know David Lee and Kevin Durant was on that team.

MTar786
08-04-2012, 09:56 PM
rondo/irving
joe johnson/ellis/allen
paul pierce/gay
aldridge/griffin/smith
bynum/kg

MrfadeawayJB
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Top 3 finisher so prob silver or bronze

Hellcrooner
08-04-2012, 11:52 PM
check Indianapolis 2002 world basketball cup to see what happens when u.s.a does not field the best team posible.

xILLN355
08-05-2012, 12:34 AM

Patrick Ewing never played international basketball with Jamaica while Hibbert did. If you play with one country your eligibility for another country is invalid. Which is why Ewing was eligible to play with the US

Tmath
08-05-2012, 12:50 AM
How would the select team do?

D.Cousins/D.Blair
T.Gibson/D.Favors/L.Thomas
K.Leonard/G.Hayward
P.George/D.Derozan/K.Thompson
K.Irving/J.Wall/J.Holiday