PDA

View Full Version : Is Rajon Rondo a player you would build a title contender around?

Wade>You
08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I would (big fan of his game), but there's a debate among some Celtic fans that he's not a player they should rebuild around. Some think they should trade him for another superstar player.

If it's Dwight Howard or maybe CP3, you'd take them over Rondo. But I still think you can build a title contender, and a good one, around Rondo.

Blue_Ninja
08-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I would take Rondo over D12

b@llhog24
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I would (big fan of his game), but there's a debate among some Celtic fans that he's not a player they should rebuild around. Some think they should trade him for another superstar player

Boston hasn't had a superstar imo since Larry Bird.

If it's Dwight Howard or maybe CP3, you'd take them over Rondo. But I still think you can build a title contender, and a good one, around Rondo.

But to answer your question, No I wouldn't build around Rondo. You don't really build around PG's in general and he's not talented enough to warrant going against the grain.

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/12/mother-of-god-meme/

Ezio
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Need to see him w/o Pierce and KG first.

IndyRealist
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
There's a handful of better marquee players, but unless you're in the market for Dwight, those players aren't up for trade.

Rondo needs the ball to be effective, but he doesn't have to shoot. You can surround him with outside shooters who can't "get their own shot" and athletic, defensive big men who can't post up, and he will make it easier for them to score. With one all-star big man and well chosen role players, you could build a contender.

Longhornfan1234
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes...he's the best pg in the NBA.

StarvingKnick22
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
2nd. far from CP3

IndyRealist
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
2nd. far from CP3

I wouldn't even go 2nd.

Longhornfan1234
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't even go 2nd.

:facepalm:

C-Wick925
08-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I would build a UFO around him, But thats just me...

TheNumber37
08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
yes, surround him with SMART, shooters, defenders and people who can execute. robdo can be the best player on the team and win it all... notice how he is routinely in the top 10 MVP voting and how well he plays post season.

b@llhog24
08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I like how everyone is giving Rondo these stacked rosters to work with.

justinnum1
08-03-2012, 09:57 PM
at least you posted this in the right forum this time

and yes, you can build around rondo

jrm2054
08-03-2012, 10:04 PM
I would build around him but you need to give home shooters and help. He can't carry a team for a full year offensively

PAOboston
08-03-2012, 10:04 PM
define build around?

as a #1 guy, no. i think it's a bad idea to build your team around a pg. and he's not a complete overall player with his lack of shooting consistency. but i think you can easliy have a good team with rondo as a core guy (i.e. #2/3).

THE MTL
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM
There are far too many holes in his game to build a team around him. Btw, Rondo is great but his teams are great too.

I mean he had best shooter of all time Ray Allen, Paul Pierce HOF, Kevin Garnett HOF, Doc Rives, suffocating Boston defense.

Rondo has been able to stick to what he does best cause of the great talent surrounding him. Now, I look at other PGs who were called on to do many other things such as Deron Williams, Tony Parker, and Chris Paul.

Jets012
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM

The amount people overrate this guy is pathetic. Rondo is not even close to the best point guard in the NBA. He is not in the same league as Paul. Not even top 5. I have him at 6th behind Paul, Rose, Williams, Westbrook, and Parker in that order. How can a guy who's TS % is under 50 be consider the best point guard in the NBA. That is a joke. And the guy shoots under 60% from the FT line which is also disgusting for a point guard. It's not even like you can give him the ball late in the game because of how bad of a Free Throw shooter he is.

Don't get me wrong, he is an incredible playmaker, but he is too offensively challenged to be even considered as a top 5 point guard. And I would love to see Rondo without Pierce, KG, and Allen. They make him soooo much better than he is.

Answer this question. How far does a team like Phoenix go with Rondo on it instead of Nash this year. I can pretty much guarantee you they compete for the worst record in the NBA because you don't even have to guard Rondo outside of 15 feet because he simply is not a threat to score. And the amount of layups he misses is laughable as well.

So to answer the OP, I would never build a championship contender around Rondo because you simply can't. He is a great 2nd/3rd option if you have a dynamic scorer or too, but as a #1 option, get out.

And whoever said they would take Rondo over Howard to build a championship team, hahahahahaha. That's awful dude.

Jarvo
08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, Best PG in the NBA imo.

IndyRealist
08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I like how everyone is giving Rondo these stacked rosters to work with.

Every roster has to be built to the strengths and weaknesses of the players you already have.

Starters: Rondo, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy, Kenneth Faried, Marcin Gortat
Bench: Shawn Marion, JJ Reddick, Reggie Evans, Jordan Hill, Earl Watson

b@llhog24
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
define build around?

as a #1 guy, no. i think it's a bad idea to build your team around a pg. and he's not a complete overall player with his lack of shooting consistency. but i think you can easliy have a good team with rondo as a core guy (i.e. #2/3).

Bing.

Every roster has to be built to the strengths and weaknesses of the players you already have.

Starters: Rondo, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy, Kenneth Faried, Marcin Gortat
Bench: Shawn Marion, JJ Reddick, Reggie Evans, Jordan Hill, Earl Watson

I agree but Rondo needs more help than most. By the way, you honestly think that team is a contender?

keetyweedy
08-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Yea

Jarvo
08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
The amount people overrate this guy is pathetic. Rondo is not even close to the best point guard in the NBA. He is not in the same league as Paul. Not even top 5. I have him at 6th behind Paul, Rose, Williams, Westbrook, and Parker in that order. How can a guy who's TS % is under 50 be consider the best point guard in the NBA. That is a joke. And the guy shoots under 60% from the FT line which is also disgusting for a point guard. It's not even like you can give him the ball late in the game because of how bad of a Free Throw shooter he is.

Don't get me wrong, he is an incredible playmaker, but he is too offensively challenged to be even considered as a top 5 point guard. And I would love to see Rondo without Pierce, KG, and Allen. They make him soooo much better than he is.

Answer this question. How far does a team like Phoenix go with Rondo on it instead of Nash this year. I can pretty much guarantee you they compete for the worst record in the NBA because you don't even have to guard Rondo outside of 15 feet because he simply is not a threat to score. And the amount of layups he misses is laughable as well.

So to answer the OP, I would never build a championship contender around Rondo because you simply can't. He is a great 2nd/3rd option if you have a dynamic scorer or too, but as a #1 option, get out.

And whoever said they would take Rondo over Howard to build a championship team, hahahahahaha. That's awful dude.

:facepalm::laugh: I just seen you had Westbrook ahead of Rondo and also Williams who is highly overrated in his own right. You must be out your mind having those two ahead of him, CP3 is good but cmon Rondo is a game changer on both ends on the floor.

And if he can shoot like he did in the Playoffs and doesn't be scared to take open jumpers that proves he is better than Paul.

Longhornfan1234
08-04-2012, 01:48 AM

Rondo is a better passer, slasher, rebounder, and defender.

CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 15-20 player and stacked bench.

Rondo carried an old/crippled team to the ECF. Took the world champions to game 7.

YouCan'tBeatLA
08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
If anything, Rondo is underrated in this forum while CP3 is grossly overrated.

b@llhog24
08-04-2012, 01:52 AM
If anything, Rondo is underrated in this forum while CP3 is grossly overrated.

Cp3 is the most underrated superstar in the league.

seikou8
08-04-2012, 02:02 AM

Rondo carried an old/crippled team to the ECF. Took the world champions to game 7.

:facepalm: passer maybe but that's it slasher cp3 is one of the best, cp3 defense is way better than rondo, cp3 is by far the better shooter, cp3 has no help his whole career and has put up monster numbers while rondo leaned on the back of the big 3. no i cant build around he can be a 3-4 option. cp3 carried the clippers they went from no playoff to 4 seed and second round appearance. i think you forgot that kevin garnet played like a top 3 pf during the playoffs.

KingPosey
08-04-2012, 02:04 AM
It depends on what your definition of him being "the guy" or the "main option" is. You have to have one or probably 2 guys that are better than him offensively.

Switch
08-04-2012, 02:06 AM
Good player, but I wouldn't build around a PG.

seikou8
08-04-2012, 02:11 AM

this is the post of the day out of the stupid ones

CoffeeJanitor
08-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Building around a PG is tough, especially when you have a player like LeBron to compete with...

raiderposting
08-04-2012, 02:45 AM
when rondo gets a jumper he will be one of the best players in the league. he has to perfect his jumper to over take cp3 tho. Rondo with a jumper imo is the 2nd best pg. but there is no way in hell that he is better than cp3 right now. thats stupid.

CyborgMushroom
08-04-2012, 02:48 AM
The only way you would start your franchise around him is if you knew you were taking a big man or great shooter with him. He's not a #1 because of his offense at times, but he is a cornerstone, and pure point guard. He's someone to build upon, but not a throw the load on his shoulders at all times kind of guy.

CyborgMushroom
08-04-2012, 02:51 AM
If he could get a solid jump shot he would be right at the very top of the pg list with Chris Paul, He hasn't got it down yet, Not sure he will ever be a really good jump shooter.

Dade County
08-04-2012, 03:00 AM

Who is this player?

CyborgMushroom
08-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Who is this player?

I'd say David West being top 20 top 25 isn't a stretch from 06-09. The guy averaged 21 and 9 from 07-09.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm a Celtics fan and I voted no. Unless he gets his jump shot down consistently and doesn't play down to teams that are much worse than the Celtics he shouldn't be a number one option.

X12Celtics3
08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm a Celtics fan and I voted no. Unless he gets his jump shot down consistently and doesn't play down to teams that are much worse than the Celtics he shouldn't be a number one option.

I voted "yes", because "building around" Rondo doesn't necessarily mean that he has to be the #1 option, it means surrounding him with players who will compliment his game. It'll be tough since no free agents ever want to come to Boston, but if Rondo was surrounded by shooters and players who can run the break with him (which he really hasn't ever had) I think the C's could be successful.

DWhiteTheTruth
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
define build around?

Exactly, build around as in have him be your main option offensively??? notta chance that would work, but "build around" as in build around his talents? of course hes a player of that caliber.

Jarvo
08-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Cp3 is the most underrated superstar in the league.

No he's not, People know he's a top 10 talent.

xxplayerxx23
08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
No way.

kingkenny01
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
it be interesting to see him on a team like the bobcats with no shooters cause he can't shoot at all but he makes up for it. I think without the offensive talent he isn't as good.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM
of course not. First off, building around a PG hasn't shown to work except in rare cases. Second, why would I choose Rondo as the PG I would build around when there are 3-4 better at his position, all of which have never had chemistry/lockerroom issues associated with them.

Rondo is a great complimentary player, and can be great on a stacked team of shooter/scorers, but to start from scratch with Rondo is not something I would be interested in.

KingPosey
08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Im starting to think that if he was going to improve his jumper enough to make a difference, it would have already happened going into his 7th season.

There is no doubt Rondo is ****ing special in certain aspects, but he cant be your go to guy night in and night out. MAYBE he could be your best all around player, but you have to have guys better offensively, and you have to go to guys in crunch time that are better.

So it kinda depends on what your def of the "main man" are.

SirDJ
08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
I would build a UFO around him, But thats just me...

:clap::clap::clap:

dannyh1469
08-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Even as a laker fan I love rondo, and it's hard to argue against a player who at his best can easily get a triple double and dominate a game. I would in order of players to build around
1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Derrick rose
4. Rondo
5. D12
6. Kobe
7. Cp3

Twins Fanatic
08-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Without a doubt, he's been the main guy the past two years, he's been leading that team and that offense. In addition, the celtics showed last year that they are still title contenders.

Hustlenomics
08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Without a doubt, he's been the main guy the past two years, he's been leading that team and that offense. In addition, the celtics showed last year that they are still title contenders.

exactly

Reyes6
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I personally wouldn't. I think he's a great player but I think he needs to have talent around him to succeed. And I would rank him top 5, in the Westbrook-Rose area.

smith&wesson
08-04-2012, 03:19 PM
hell yes. cant think of any one better to run my offense.

N3TS
08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I would love to have him on my team. He competes hard every second he's on the floor. If I were to build around him, I would have to have a similar set up as Boston in order to make up for Rondo's inability to stretch the floor with his jump shot and to utilize his playmaking ability to the fullest.

blastmasta26
08-04-2012, 03:58 PM
You could, but it would be difficult to build a championship team around Rondo for sure. He can't shoot, and with him being so ball dominant, you have to have great off the ball players with him as well as guys who can score in the clutch. The Celtics have a great roster around him and we have yet to see what he does without guys like Pierce, KG, Ray.

Hustlenomics
08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
You could, but it would be difficult to build a championship team around Rondo for sure. He can't shoot, and with him being so ball dominant, you have to have great off the ball players with him as well as guys who can score in the clutch. The Celtics have a great roster around him and we have yet to see what he does without guys like Pierce, KG, Ray.

Ray missed a good amount of the season and Rondo competed for John Stocktons assist streak, and his game never diminishes whenever Pierce or KG is out either. He's still talented no matter who's around him

hugepatsfan
08-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Building a contender around Rondo can be done IMO, but it's tough.

hugepatsfan
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
The argument of him w/out KG, Pierce, and Ray is pretty outdated. Those guys aren't elite players anymore and haven't been for a while. They're still a great supporting cast, but not vastly superior to what a lot of other stars play with.

CoffeeJanitor
08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Garnett is still elite defensively.

BobbyHillSwag
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Seriously, I think Rondo is one of the few pg's in nba history that you could build a title contender arounder around. He just needs an ok offensive team and a good defensive team and you already have a title contender around rondo. You put rondo on knicks and I guarantee they win a title. He's that good, dude is one of the best passers in the history of the game.

xxplayerxx23
08-04-2012, 05:07 PM
KG isn't elite anymore? news to me after lastyear

Method28
08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Rondo a better slasher?! Hahaha that's what cp3 DOES. He can get to anywhere on the court at any time.

Cp3 is lightyears ahead of Rondo in shooting as well....at all three levels...mid range...long distance and the line.

Cp3 imo is a better defender as well. Rondo is a good player but people are getting too hyped up on ET. Let's give Rondo a crap roster and see how that year goes down.

#Shumpert Up
08-04-2012, 05:37 PM
With Rondo i'm not so sure. Thing is he's clearly one of the best if not the best point guard in the league but at the same time he has a huge weakness in his ability to shoot the ball(regardless of how much people say he's improved it's still a weakness) and that isn't something you wan't in this point guard dominated league. If you build around rondo you need very good shooters around him IMO its a gamble

Hawkeye15
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
With Rondo i'm not so sure. Thing is he's clearly one of the best if not the best point guard in the league but at the same time he has a huge weakness in his ability to shoot the ball(regardless of how much people say he's improved it's still a weakness) and that isn't something you wan't in this point guard dominated league. If you build around rondo you need very good shooters around him IMO its a gamble

How can he be the best when Chris Paul can pass, and play defense as well, but also score like a superstar?

Paul
Westbrook
Parker
Rose

All better then Rondo, with Rose being up in the air with his pretty much wasted year coming up. I would start a team with any of those guys over Rondo at the PG position.

Hawkeye15
08-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The argument of him w/out KG, Pierce, and Ray is pretty outdated. Those guys aren't elite players anymore and haven't been for a while. They're still a great supporting cast, but not vastly superior to what a lot of other stars play with.

And they have only gone as far as Rondo can take them now being just a really good supporting cast, and that is out in round 2. That is the point. Without an elite defensive cast (#1 in the NBA), they aren't doing anything, because their offense sucks with Rondo being the focal point. They finished #27 in offense. That is terrible, and if we are discussing their floor leader being the focal point of a championship team, and he is leading the 27th best offense with those still pretty good vets on the team, we have our answer to this thread.

Rain City
08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
yeah i build around him but he has been blessed with playing with HOF players that complement him perfectly being great shooters.

boston fans see him for a hole year and he can have alot of up and downs and be erratic, but he is possibly a top 5 overall player come playoff time thats why i think NBA fans in general value him higher. Not that they shouldnt tho.

#Shumpert Up
08-04-2012, 06:49 PM
How can he be the best when Chris Paul can pass, and play defense as well, but also score like a superstar?

Paul
Westbrook
Parker
Rose

All better then Rondo, with Rose being up in the air with his pretty much wasted year coming up. I would start a team with any of those guys over Rondo at the PG position.

hey i didnt mean him to be the best. it's a figure of speech but i really feel he's one of the best point guards in the league purely because of his unbelievable court vision not to mention he is the only walking triple double machine in the league after jason kidd's prime ended. lebron hasnt come near to the amount of TD's rondo has had. but that's just his talent has nothing to do with how good of a point guard he is and no im not insinuating he is better than lebron. i just think he is a rare breed of point guard that with the right group around him is very valuable

Hawkeye15
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
hey i didnt mean him to be the best. it's a figure of speech but i really feel he's one of the best point guards in the league purely because of his unbelievable court vision not to mention he is the only walking triple double machine in the league after jason kidd's prime ended. lebron hasnt come near to the amount of TD's rondo has had. but that's just his talent has nothing to do with how good of a point guard he is and no im not insinuating he is better than lebron. i just think he is a rare breed of point guard that with the right group around him is very valuable

Oh, he is one of the best PG's in the NBA, top 5. And triple doubles are much easier to get as a PG, since the assists are coming, Rondo/Kidd/Magic were great rebounders, and 10 points is easy to score if you are any good. Basically, PG's are the leaders in TD's, it's always that way because they get the assists up.

Kashmir13579
08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't know if his attitude warrants being a franchise guy.. Lets face it, as much as i love Rajon, the guy is freaking mental. I don't think you can take the risk in putting all your eggs in that one basket, so to speak.

b@llhog24
08-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Who is this player?

Blake Griffin.

No he's not, People know he's a top 10 talent.

I've seen people say he's not a top 8 player which is ridiculous.

I would love to have him on my team. He competes hard every second he's on the floor. If I were to build around him, I would have to have a similar set up as Boston in order to make up for Rondo's inability to stretch the floor with his jump shot and to utilize his playmaking ability to the fullest.

Sounds like you need to have a little conversation with bagwell. :D

STL Don
08-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Over about a ton of players, hell yes.
He's everything you want in a point guard, plays all aspects of the game to the highest of levels. Only his jump shot can be off at times as he is still in the process of improving..
We've already seen him dominate in some of the most important games/stretches early in his career thus' far and on a team pact with well known vets.

I wouldn't be saddened at all if he was the player I was building my team around.

SportsFanatic10
08-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Even as a laker fan I love rondo, and it's hard to argue against a player who at his best can easily get a triple double and dominate a game. I would in order of players to build around
1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Derrick rose
4. Rondo
5. D12
6. Kobe
7. Cp3

you just had to sneak your laker guy in there lol. no way kobe is on that list you just made with his age and poor shooting percentage/high usage rate, and definately not ahead of cp3. and rondo isn't a top 4 option for building a team. aside from getting the first 2 right that's a pretty poor list.

Lil Rhody
08-05-2012, 09:28 AM

:facepalm: passer maybe but that's it slasher cp3 is one of the best, cp3 defense is way better than rondo, cp3 is by far the better shooter, cp3 has no help his whole career and has put up monster numbers while rondo leaned on the back of the big 3. no i cant build around he can be a 3-4 option. cp3 carried the clippers they went from no playoff to 4 seed and second round appearance. i think you forgot that kevin garnet played like a top 3 pf during the playoffs.

Um kg played like the best center in te league...... I think u forgot the part when they switched him over

#Shumpert Up
08-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, he is one of the best PG's in the NBA, top 5. And triple doubles are much easier to get as a PG, since the assists are coming, Rondo/Kidd/Magic were great rebounders, and 10 points is easy to score if you are any good. Basically, PG's are the leaders in TD's, it's always that way because they get the assists up.

So then why not build around him? are you saying that you wouldnt build around a prime magic or kidd either? with the right players rondo is deadly

MiamiBoy77
08-05-2012, 02:43 PM
No. He takes games off. Look at his numbers on non televised games vs televised. And he's the 3rd best PG in the league. Both Will and Paul are better.

He's a very nice piece on a championship team, but he's not the face id build my franchise around.

b@llhog24
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
So then why not build around him? are you saying that you wouldnt build around a prime magic or kidd either? with the right players rondo is deadly

Because he has more holes in his game than swiss cheese.

bagwell368
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Only if you want to fail.

#1. Poor shooter outside of 10' and poor FT shooter (his FT% the past 2 years is the worst of his career). This is a gigantic problem for your marquee player to have. Rondo doesn't penetrate as much as he did before 2009-2010, so on the offensive side all you have left is passing.

A pass first marquee player needs a very potent collection of teammates to be able to score enough points - which he has had to date, but is starting to fade away now. His inability to shoot well puts more pressure on his 4 other teammates, and less pressure on the defense.

A shooter with such a poor outside touch creates a lot of turnovers via defensive rebounding. The Celts being one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the NBA give up more then average on the offensive glass.

#2. Rondo is notorious for poor play in the regular season - witness his 14 game stretch after Perkins was dealt, which he later admitted was all his fault. Rondo just plain takes games off as well. How else to explain his triple double % of games he's on National TV? Doesn't your marquee player have to lead by example? Great example for the kids.

#3. Rondo has been labeled by his college coach (Smith), pro coach (Doc), and pro GM (Ainge) in interviews as being "uncoachable". Stubborn, difficult, and has been on the trade block several times the past few years - doesn't sound like a top player to me.

#4. Rondo has fueded with the media, team broadcasters, and Ray Allen - if not more.

Summary: He's immature and erratic. His outside shooting is poor, and getting worse if you go by FT%. He's good to have around as a #4 like he's been for the most part on the Celts. He might function as a #3 if the #1 and #2 are superb. But as a #1? It's an idiotic notion from soup to nuts.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Magic was exponentially a better scorer, and what did Kidd lead his teams to? He was a role player when he finally won a chip. His finals team in NJ was basically the least ****** team from the weakest conference in decades.

I would not build around any player who can not score the basketball at a proficient level, or lead an offense in the top 1/3 of the NBA. None of which Rondo has done as the #1 guy in Boston.

bagwell368
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Magic was exponentially a better scorer, and what did Kidd lead his teams to? He was a role player when he finally won a chip. His finals team in NJ was basically the least ****** team from the weakest conference in decades.

I would not build around any player who can not score the basketball at a proficient level, or lead an offense in the top 1/3 of the NBA. None of which Rondo has done as the #1 guy in Boston.

x2

in particular when last year, RR was #3 well behind KG and somewhat behind PP.

DaVille
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes. He is huge piece to the puzzle on a contender. But like all great players, they need help from another superstar or two to win championship.