PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin refuses to sign for Veteran's Minimum

Fresno
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Kenyon Martin is still a free agent likely due to his demands of receiving a contract for more than the veteran's minimum. The Golden State Warriors have been the only team linked to Martin recently, but that ship has likely passed with the signing of Carl Landry.
http://www.iamagm.com/article/kenyon-martin-unwilling-to-sign-contract-for-the-veterans-minimum

Regarding Kenyon Martin, out of available PFs, he'd make most sense for NYK. Versatile, knows Melo/JR. But source says won't sign for min.
https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statuses/231071707757162496

He's made $110 Million in his career and he won't sign for the minimum, even if it will put him on a team to make a deep Playoff run. :confused:

Probably should be making about $3 Million per year but $1.4 Million is better than nothing.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Turns down 1.4million lol. I wish I had the ability to turn down 1.4 mil

greg_ory_2005
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM
He probably deserves more than the min. And some team will give him what he want eventually.

justinnum1
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
lol

AntiG
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM

lol yeah...

X12Celtics3
08-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Does he not want to win a championship? Most of the strongest contending teams can only offer him the minimum...

Raps18-19 Champ
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
He deserves more than the min. :shrug:

StarvingKnick22
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
well, i guess he can retire, because no one will go over spend for him.

Jetsguy
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
eh he has time still, someone will get hurt or something I am sure. He will add some nice bench depth to some team for sure.

Fresno
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
He deserves more than the min. :shrug:

But all of the contenders dont have the cap space or MLE left to spend on him, and if they do then they aren't looking for a backup PF.

He might get over the minimum but it'll surely be on a bad team.

Gritz
08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
He freakin sucks

LTBaByyy
08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Why play on the Hornets/Bobcats/Kings for $3 mil when you can play for a playoff team for $1.4 mil

He has already made over $110 million dollars, either has a big ego or he is broke

KniCks4LiFe
08-03-2012, 01:51 PM
would anyone be shocked if the Raptors or Mavs sign him?

JiffyMix88
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM

raptors yes mavs no would anyone be surprised if he doesnt get signed?

Fresno
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Mavs already have a full roster + remember his feud with Mark Cuban?

Raptors used up their MLE to sign Aaron Gray.

Structures
08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Kenyon Martin doesn't care about winning, that's all gravy for him. He's in it for money and playing time. Expect him to end up on a terrible team before he takes the minimum for a contender.

smith&wesson
08-03-2012, 01:58 PM
His d in the playoffs was amazing. im suprized the clippers are letting him both him and reggie evans go. thats alot of toughness they are losing

Chronz
08-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Why would anyone turn down easy money?

Kyben36
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
if this is news, today is going to be a slow day

Muttman73
08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Why play on the Hornets/Bobcats/Kings for $3 mil when you can play for a playoff team for $1.4 mil

He has already made over $110 million dollars, either has a big ego or he is broke

GREED, no sense of reality

life in the NBA

DitchDat
08-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Maybe he wasn't injury-plagued and a diva. He is a role player.

greg_ory_2005
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
There's no such thing as having too much money or being too rich. It doesn't matter how much he's made over his career.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
lol $%^# this POS. He stole enough money from teams. Guess he needs to buy more neck tattoos and bling.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2012, 02:20 PM
He better starts learning some chinese.

Jint.
08-03-2012, 02:25 PM
come to NY Kenyon... its your destiny

mRc08
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Looks like K-Mart is out of Business :D

Ill21
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM

I would go with broke.

rocket
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
lol

Joshtd1
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Another overrated player that wants more then they deserve. Hope no team over pays him

koreancabbage
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
don't bash on the guy if he can make more money than the min. In the end, there's only one championship team. so your chances are slim regardless if you sign for the min unless you. You give and take. Do you think you're going to win a chip with the team you are signing with? i'm pretty sure some other team has a need KM can fill for a little more than Vets min.

Its basically good teams trying to lowball older free agents.

Losoway
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
he deserves more then the min . im really surprised the clippers arent tryna bring him back

he look real good on there team

FOXHOUND
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't necessarily blame him. I mean he played very well in the playoffs, most notably in the 4th quarter of game 7 vs the Grizzlies when he and the rest of the Clippers bench won that game (and then they got rid of practically ALL of them!? lol, Clippers being Clippers).

That being said, at his age he knows that his time is almost done. I always find it disappointing when athletes don't value winning over money, as long as the price difference isn't too drastic, and especially in cases like Martin's where he's made $110M+ over his career. But he does have the rest of his life to live, and an extra $2M per year or so is a lot of money still.

I would like him on the Knicks, but we just have no room between Amare and Melo grabbing minutes at PF, and he surely won't be happy in a end of the bench, just in case kind of role.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Do the Rockets need another PF?

Fresno
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't necessarily blame him. I mean he played very well in the playoffs, most notably in the 4th quarter of game 7 vs the Grizzlies when he and the rest of the Clippers bench won that game (and then they got rid of practically ALL of them!? lol, Clippers being Clippers).

That being said, at his age he knows that his time is almost done. I always find it disappointing when athletes don't value winning over money, as long as the price difference isn't too drastic, and especially in cases like Martin's where he's made $110M+ over his career. But he does have the rest of his life to live, and an extra $2M per year or so is a lot of money still.

I would like him on the Knicks, but we just have no room between Amare and Melo grabbing minutes at PF, and he surely won't be happy in a end of the bench, just in case kind of role.

If Martin went to the Knicks, Melo wouldn't have to play PF.

You can work the minutes like:

SF: Melo (36), Novak (12)
PF: Amare (30), Martin (16), Novak (2)
C: Chandler (30), Camby (18)

That would be the consistent minutes each night with the starters playing more minutes than expected in important/close games, & the backups playing more minutes than expected in non-important/blowout games. Knicks don't want to burn out their stars before the Playoffs knowing how injury-prone Melo, Amare, & Chandler can be.

You'd keep Novak, Martin, & Camby happy by them having some games where they can play 25-28 Minutes off the bench after the starters build up a 20+ point lead on some team like the Pistons or Bobcats.

Knicks would have a great bench.

Fresno
08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
He better starts learning some chinese.

He actually went to China during the lockout and signed the richest deal ever in CBA history, only to quit on the team and force his way out after maybe 10 games there once the NBA lockout ended.

Bruno
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
he's always had a **** attitude. injuries may have cut off his peak abilities, but his attitude would have always prevented him from being a great player.

netsgiantsyanks
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
:sigh: memories.

daboywonder2002
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
mine as well go back to china. all dude has is his defense. never been a great rebounder, scorer or shot blocker.

CEasFiRe
08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
good for you kmart

Corey
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Celtics still have the BAE

JasonJohnHorn
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
This guys is worht 3mil. He's a great defender and rebounder and those are two things you need to win a title. I think it's just a matter of bad timing. I imagine most contenders would be more than happy to pay him 3-5 mil for the season if they were allowed to. He's got to decide what he wants more: A paycheck or a ring? My thinking is that teams with the cap space don't want to invest in an older player because they are likely trying to find young players to build around, and contenders just don't have that cap space and have likely used the MLE already.

He'd make any team better though, that much is for sure. He'd be great for the Clippers, Knicks, Nets and Lakers, and the Heat could play him at center (but they already spent their MLE on a SG they didn't need, Riley should have really spend the MLE on a guy that can play center instead of a SG, I mean, they already have Wade at SG).

Anywho... good play and worth more than the vet min.

FOXHOUND
08-03-2012, 03:33 PM

That would be the consistent minutes each night with the starters playing more minutes than expected in important/close games, & the backups playing more minutes than expected in non-important/blowout games. Knicks don't want to burn out their stars before the Playoffs knowing how injury-prone Melo, Amare, & Chandler can be.

You'd keep Novak, Martin, & Camby happy by them having some games where they can play 25-28 Minutes off the bench after the starters build up a 20+ point lead on some team like the Pistons or Bobcats.

Well I think the main reason Melo needs to play PF is the incredible mismatches he creates vs teams when he does. I think that would be a terrible thing to waste. I understand if they save that kind of thing towards the end of the season/playoffs, but Camby also wants solid minutes and there's only so many behind Chandler.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have K-Mart and his defense, he would be a great compliment to Amare at PF as a guy to bring in to play tough D. If there were a way to take ego out of the equation and force Martin to be OK in that type of role, I'd be all about it. But the last thing this team needs is a frustrated player messing up the chemistry, and that type of role wouldn't be fair to a player of Martin's ability so I wouldn't blame him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
mine as well go back to china. all dude has is his defense. never been a great rebounder, scorer or shot blocker.

Athletic and versatile defender is all we need. He'll give u a couple ferocious dunks a game, energizes the team, and crowd. He's got attitude, you arent gonna muscle Kenyon Martin. He'll give u agressive rebounding, even if he doesn't get a rebound, he's agressivly boxing someone out. And He's always good, for a block or two. He'll throw ur shot to the 9th row. This is what Kenyon Martin brings, to not only to the Knicks, but to the lucky team that get's him.

The insurance he provides if Amar'e goes down... I'm perfectly fine with Kenyon Martin being the starting Power Forward. I can only imagine what's gonna run through the mind of a player driving to the basket, and looks in the paint and see's Ty, and Kenyon standing there... You're either gonna get your shot blocked, or your gonna end up on your back.

Kobe2324
08-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah he will be a free agent for a while if he wants more than the min, the guy didnt play a whole lot last year and when he did he really didnt do much...min is all he deserves, if he has a good season he then would deserve a raise next year

show34
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
So what

Punk
08-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't get his logic. I know he knows he and Reggie Evans were the reason the Clippers got past Memphis but Reggie Evans didn't get more than 1.4 million.

There is no contending teams that will give him more than the veteran's minimum for 34 year old injury prone big man.

sep11ie
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I hear the Rockets are in the market for a PF...

king4day
08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I could see him waiting and getting signed sometime during the year for a few mil. He clearly lost his passion for the game so I doubt he cares if he plays or not.

Blitzbolt
08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree Martin was the reason the clipps beat us in the first round.

D Jordan<<<<<<<<Martin.

Lab Rat Robby
08-03-2012, 04:47 PM
this reminds me of when spreewell wouldn't sign. i would love him in san antonio for the minimum. i think buford wanted him when he came back from china. i hope he doesn't get the offer and ends up retired.

dtmagnet
08-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Euroleague.

69centers
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Does he not want to win a championship? Most of the strongest contending teams can only offer him the minimum...

We still have our BAE (1.9 mil) but I don't think he's worth it.

ball4reel
08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
this reminds me of when spreewell wouldn't sign. i would love him in san antonio for the minimum. i think buford wanted him when he came back from china. i hope he doesn't get the offer and ends up retired.

How is he gonna feed his family!!!

Iron24th
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
He is not worth more vet min now, face it kenyon.

knicks=love
08-03-2012, 06:13 PM

i think everyone on this site can say this.

i hate selfish pigs in professional sports like this. just ****ing sign for 1.4 million, you've already made over 100 million in your ****ing life and you're not even ****ing 40 years old yet.

SteBO
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't get his logic. I know he knows he and Reggie Evans were the reason the Clippers got past Memphis but Reggie Evans didn't get more than 1.4 million.

There is no contending teams that will give him more than the veteran's minimum for 34 year old injury prone big man.
Hopefully for his sake, he comes to grip with this. He's made tons of $$$, some of it undeserved(but that's neither here nor there), over his career. I don't know which team is going to pay him more for his services at this point. Personally, I'd like him in Miami, but he doesn't seem to fit the Heat culture one bit.

Avenged
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Ego.

Shark
08-03-2012, 07:37 PM
At this point in his career he just wants more money, not a championship contender. If I had his opportunity, sign me where the money is at!

Shark
08-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Plus everyone keeps saying he made over 100 mill. Don't forget taxes :)

MrfadeawayJB
08-03-2012, 07:39 PM
here we go again...

Losoway
08-03-2012, 09:48 PM
if it wasnt for martin.... memphis would have pulled out condoms and went to work in the paint against the clippers

he deserves more then a cheap mini

mdm692
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Good. Suns need a back up big come here for 5-6 mill/1 yr

Marques24kobe
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Who?

THE MTL
08-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Kenyon Martin was signed for a 90 million dollar contract a couple years ago. And was NEVER worth that the 16 mil per year not once! He needs to give some of that money back and play for the min.

eternal slumber
08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
for a team to pay this guy beyond vet. minimum will clearly overpay.

heck, both Jamison and Watson just signed for a vet. minimum.

Jamison; Watson >>>> Martin

IBleedPurple
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Give him 2 Million, and he's gonna sign on the dotted line.

Fresno
08-04-2012, 12:35 AM

CJ Watson? :laugh2:

thekmp211
08-04-2012, 12:38 AM
frustrating cause he could definitely help a contender, dude still has a lot of game. i get it, he's better than guys that have gotten more money but is also a lot older too. hopefully he gets over it.

apet8945
08-04-2012, 02:03 AM

You can't be serious. Jamison and CJ freakin Watson over Martin? Martin's toughness on the defensive end alone is worth more than those two. Not to mention Martin is an excellent defender who can defend pretty much anybody on the court.

Martin wants playing time and deservedly so, but the fact that his offensive game has pretty much diminished over the years, he can only be a starter on a team with an offensively gifted Center. There aren't a lot of teams out there who have that and are in need of a PF. I can't think of any actually.

kblo247
08-04-2012, 02:55 AM
I agree with him.

Why would eh take the vet min? Once he does that as an aging player, front offices expect him to take that over and over again and he hurts his value in the next free agency.

Martin is worth the mini MLE or BAE if Landry gets 4mil and doesn't rebound or defend, just scores. Martin is worth it to a team like the Spurs who outside Duncan get raped and exposed every postseason like clockwork by big frontlines as we saw Mrtin could bang with Memphis when Blair, Splitter, Diaw, and Bonner can't. Martin is worth that cash for a team like ATL who needs more interior D.

He should hold out. Some team will need a big and thy will come calling.

Kill the he has made too much ****. This is the real world, you should always try to get what you are worth, and Kenyon isn't 40, nor does he want to just sit on the end of the bench and chase a ring like Juwan Howard. I love the Jamison signing, but let's keep IT 100, Kenyon was the reason the Clippers advanced in the playoffs while Jamison has spent the last two years in mediocrity and a **** city so it isn't comparable.

The bet min means a team values you for about 800k, let's be real here, that is what a team thinks you are worth and pays you, not 1.4mil

CyborgMushroom
08-04-2012, 03:13 AM
He's not worth much more than the minimum, He doesn't deserve more than the minimum right now because of what he has done before, that is why he made the 110m. He won't get offered more than the minimum, and that is what he is worth to most teams. Unless there is a contender that feels the need and is for some reason desperately in love with him, I don't see it.

beasted86
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM

The $100 Million dollar man playing a career low 30 minutes?

Is he still injured or something? Can't see that happening.