PDA

View Full Version : Can Dwight Howard repair his image?

RLundi
08-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, I know, not another Dwight Howard thread, but this article actually seems pretty sensible and it's a legitimate topic about what Dwight can do moving forward, despite being written by Chris Broussard:

There are steps Howard needs to take to get back to his old, smiling self.
Not long ago, Dwight Howard was viewed as one of the NBA's good guys. Always smiling, always fun-loving, always dominant, always a fan favorite.

But for the past eight months, a torch has been put to Howard's favorable image. The trade requests, the clandestine meetings, the flip-flopping, the Stan Van Gundy fiasco, the media leaks, the unnecessary ruin he's put the Magic through.

It hasn't all been Dwight's fault, of course. The 24/7 news cycle and the reporting of every new development (no matter how minor or irrelevant) have made the decision-making process for both Howard and the Magic a public nightmare.

And the Van Gundy debacle certainly could have been avoided had there not been loose lips within Orlando's brain trust. Sure, Howard contributed to his embarrassment in that episode by feigning love for Van Gundy with his phony hug, but the truth is that if someone hadn't told Van Gundy things Howard had shared in confidence (that he wanted his coach fired), this sordid summer affair might not be taking place.

People have wondered why in the world Howard waived his opt-out clause in March only to ask to be traded again less than two months later. Well, he did it because when he "opted in," he sincerely wanted to give Orlando a chance to keep him. He thought the Magic had a shot at going deep in the playoffs, and he figured he'd give them the summertime and the early part of next season to make moves that could make the team even better.

If he liked what he saw, he'd stay. If he didn't, he'd be able to honestly say he gave the franchise a chance but moved on to a better situation. All his talk of loyalty at that press conference following his decision to opt in wasn't just for show.

But when Van Gundy outed Howard by telling the media a Magic executive had told him his All-Star center wanted him fired, Howard lost all trust and confidence in the organization. Other issues have developed since then, but that is what truly soured Howard on returning to the Magic.

So now Howard and the Magic are in the middle of this tug-of-war that is making both sides look bad. Howard looks like a spoiled, indecisive brat, and the Magic look like a clueless mom-and-pop operation in a sea full of well-oiled Fortune 500 corporations.

Still, in the court of public opinion, Orlando is viewed as the victim.

That leaves Howard with the unenviable job of restoring his image, restoring it back to what it should be. Because know this, for all his waffling and untoward shenanigans, Howard is still a good guy. He's still got a good heart. And he still can fix this situation.

I understand why he wants to leave the Magic, especially after all that has taken place. I understand why he wanted to go to the Brooklyn Nets or Los Angeles Lakers. Heck, I hope he's traded to Brooklyn, just because it would give the NBA one more monster team full of drama in a super-sexy market (look at how fun the Heat have made things). The Lakers are a top contender now that they have Steve Nash, so they don't even need Howard to be in the title mix. But if D-12 does go to L.A., there would be drama, intrigue, incredible basketball and a team more than capable of challenging the Heat for the NBA championship.

No one would begrudge him for wanting to leave Orlando for a team with a better shot at winning a title.

So Howard doesn't have to sign a long-term contract extension with Orlando to pad his image. All he needs to do is be professional and treat the Magic organization with respect. He should call the team owner, Rich DeVos, and apologize for the confusion he's created, for any missteps he's made. Howard should tell him how hurt and embarrassed he was over the leak to Van Gundy, and that he thinks a clean break is probably best for both sides, especially since his Magic teammates are as sick of this mess as everyone else.

If the Magic continue to hold onto him for the next month or so, Howard should return to Orlando and rehab under the team's supervision. He should get to know new GM Rob Hennigan and new coach Jacque Vaughn. He should prepare for next season as if he'll be playing in Orlando, and when the organization asks him if he'll consider signing a long-term extension, he can still decline -- he just needs to do it respectfully.

Howard doesn't even have to reiterate that he wants to be traded. If he refuses to sign the extension, the Magic will make sure to trade him. And when potential trade partners ask the Magic if Howard will re-sign with them, that's when he can repeat that his preferred destinations are the Nets, Lakers and Dallas Mavericks.

Howard has a better chance of getting the trade he wants by acting professionally and by patching things up with the Magic than he does by strong-arming them. It will also go a long way toward restoring his image, and then he can take care of the rest on the court. Playing well and winning will erase all the disdain some feel toward Howard right now.

After all, fans love a winner, especially one who's smiling, always fun-loving and always dominant.

Thoughts?

Cali4rnia
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
winning cures everything. Ask lebron james.

Jamiecballer
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
NO. absolutely not. he's made a joke of his professionalism.

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
That article is nothing but Chris Broussard aka sauces sucking up to Dwight.He just want's Dwight in Brooklyn as he said in the article.

As for the question yes Dwight can repair his image and he will once he wins a championship with the Lakers.

69centers
08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
The quickest way is to get on a new team and stay out of the media when he gets there

b@llhog24
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM

This.

Puck017
08-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Kobe's image has rebounded quite well since his sexual assault incident so I don't see why it would be difficult for Howard.

RLundi
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Kobe's image has rebounded quite well since his sexual assault incident so I don't see why it would be difficult for Howard.

Kobe's still one of the NBA's most hated athletes. Though it could just be since he's just generally a prick.

JiffyMix88
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM

idk i still hate his ***** ***... then again i've always hated him since about 06/07 when he started crying when touched and dancing and being arrogant, and being over dramatic with minor injuries... but hey i just hate douche bags no mattter how talented :o

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Kobe's still one of the NBA's most hated athletes. Though it could just be since he's just generally a prick.

Dude Kobe is 1 of the most popular players in the NBA,he has the #1 brand in the US as far as basketball and he's #1 in jersey sales overseas.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Winning and making fun of yourself or the situation in the future ...

Do a McDonald's commercial with Dwight at the drive through picking a number one and have him change his mind 5 times let it go through to night time and he still can't decide and show a long line of cars behind him for miles.... people will laugh and get over.

When you make fun of yourself it takes away peoples ammo and people will forget faster and now care. Kind of like the last rap battle in 8mile ...

But yea that and winning in a few years this won't matter

RLundi
08-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Dude Kobe is 1 of the most popular players in the NBA,he has the #1 brand in the US as far as basketball and he's #1 in jersey sales overseas.

DUDE, in recent years, polls from Foxsports, ESPN, Forbes, among other entities have listed him among sports' most-hated athletes.

OKC
08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
if he would just explain himself in public there would be no hate in the first place.
just talk dwight.

MiamiBoy77
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
He needs to shut up and play ball. Do what lebron did. Shut up until someone else does something really stupid and people forget about your stupidity

thekmp211
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
probably, but i'll never personally gain all the respect back for him since this fiasco. at the end of the day though it's not like he broke laws or did anything truly bad. just a massive ego and some terrible decision making.

i'd pretend to love him just to get the damn thing over with so we can start never talking abut it again.

Jamiecballer
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM

yet what he said is still true. Kobe is despised by a lot of people.

king4day
08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Like Lebron, in time people will forget. It'll be years before people forget though.

Puck017
08-02-2012, 01:07 PM

DUDE, in recent years, polls from Foxsports, ESPN, Forbes, among other entities have listed him among sports' most-hated athletes.

Both these statements make sense to me. Anyone who doesn't care for basketball or the NBA is obviously gonna hate Kobe because of the incident. This alone will help him get to the top of the most hated athletes polls. Not to mention he can also be hated for being a Laker and his personality. I've personally never liked him or Eli Manning since they were both above playing for a small market team that wanted to draft them.

Its easy for people that want to be his fans to buy into the smear campaign done on his accuser considering her backround. The truth about what happened in that incident never came out either. So you can just as easily beleive him to be innocent as guilty.

Basicly he's polarizing enough and to make both of your statements true.

Chavacano
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM

This. Everybody loves winners.

Piercefan34
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
kobe doesn't have the #1 brand, thats michael.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Wherever he goes, he better ****ing win.

All is forgiven then

Oefarmy2005
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
People will forget all about the minute he puts up 40 and 15.

NYtilIdie
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
That article is nothing but Chris Broussard aka sauces sucking up to Dwight.He just want's Dwight in Brooklyn as he said in the article.

As for the question yes Dwight can repair his image and he will once he wins a championship with the Lakers.

Oh, now you want to him to go to the Lakers eh? What happened to the Brooklyn dream team that you prayed oh so hard for?

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh, now you want to him to go to the Lakers eh? What happened to the Brooklyn dream team that you prayed oh so hard for?

I said no such thing,either show me where I said that or STFU and quit lying.

Gritz
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Yup

xk4
08-02-2012, 02:22 PM
First lob, people will go back to loving him.

The only reason everyone is so annoyed is the constant speculation and media hype. I blame his PR agent and the Magic FO more than Dwight himself. He probably did change his mind a bazillion times, and try to get SVG fired etc etc, but we should never have heard about any of it.

RLundi
08-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I said no such thing,either show me where I said that or STFU and quit lying.

Lol no one's gonna go back and thumb through your posts but you know damn well when you first signed up for PSD you were acting like a Nets fan because you thought they were landing Dwight. You're a liar and in extreme denial but deep down you know the truth, admit it or not :laugh2:

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
He is a confused troll ..... its sad really

*lost troll seeking home, stuck in limbo until Dwight is traded*

fadedmario
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Absolutely not.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't even think he's hurt his image like many of you are debating. Blame guys like Rudolph, Meijia, Kennedy, Kyler, Amico, Pingalore, Broussard, Bucher and all these idiots who have been leaking things (true and false rumors) and making Dwight look like a flip-flopper. The only thing Dwight was stupid with in this whole process was the whole opt-in thing at the trade deadline. Every thing else has been mainly fabricated or exacerbated by these twitter dweebs and the dumb Magic FO.

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Lol no one's gonna go back and thumb through your posts but you know damn well when you first signed up for PSD you were acting like a Nets fan because you thought they were landing Dwight. You're a liar and in extreme denial but deep down you know the truth, admit it or not :laugh2:

OMG show me my post or STFU you liar.I hate when people say stuff that's untrue.

I said Orlando should have took the Brooklyn deal because it gave them what they want cap relief and draft picks.Does that mean im a Nets fan?

You act like I was rooting for Brooklyn,please please show me where I said I was a Nets fans?

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
You butthurt Magic fans need to lay off me and move on.Why does it matter what team I root for?

I will say this 1 last time I will root for whatever team Dwight lands on,im hoping it's the Lakers.There you happy,now quit asking me everyday what team I root for.

bucketss
08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
idk i still hate his ***** ***... then again i've always hated him since about 06/07 when he started crying when touched and dancing and being arrogant, and being over dramatic with minor injuries... but hey i just hate douche bags no mattter how talented :o

do you hate pierce? look at your quote in your sig he aounds like a huge douchebag

Kobe2324
08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I do believe he can repair his image, not with the orlando fans, they should hate him forever just as the cavs fans should hate Lebron forever. But if he was to go to the Lakers for example and win a few rings and say all the right things and stay out of the media for anything negative then I cant see why that would not fix his image, people forget a lot more when your successful and the the skills do the talking.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
You butthurt Magic fans need to lay off me and move on.Why does it matter what team I root for?

I will say this 1 last time I will root for whatever team Dwight lands on,im hoping it's the Lakers.There you happy,now quit asking me everyday what team I root for.

Its not that you wanna root for Dwight its the fact that your fake as fake gets

I remember people grilling you for not being a magic fan when u acted like one and you swore you really were a magic fan lol I remember the post "I really am a magic fan why don't you guys believe me? wow I can't believe my magic brothers are turning on me" and weeks later you announce your no longer a magic fan and now your saying you will root for whatever team Dwight lands on.

So for saying you hate liars you sure were a big liar yourself

Bruno
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM
when he wins.

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Its not that you wanna root for Dwight its the fact that your fake as fake gets

I remember people grilling you for not being a magic fan when u acted like one and you swore you really were a magic fan lol I remember the post "I really am a magic fan why don't you guys believe me? wow I can't believe my magic brothers are turning on me" and weeks later you announce your no longer a magic fan and now your saying you will root for whatever team Dwight lands on.

So for saying you hate liars you sure were a big liar yourself

Im a Dwight fan see the name D12 fan,ok now you proved your point.Why do you have to tell me this everyday almost?

Can we all just get along,I have no hard feelings for Magic fans.I just want this Dwightmare to end so we can all move on.

blob50192
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
not until hes traded he cant

yanksrock
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I will never take him seriously!! He can win 12 rings and I still won't. All it will prove is what we already know that he's a great player.

smith&wesson
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
nope. the guy is gonna do all this ish all over again after next season is done and he becomes a free agent again.

JasonJohnHorn
08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
All Dwight needs to do is agree to stay in Orlando for five years at the vet min. apologized to SVG and Otis Smith, and support gay marriage. Then all will be good again.

Oh... and learn how to pass without turning the fawking ball over. FAWK!

oval57sanch
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
No

tonyd3b54
08-02-2012, 04:12 PM
he'll always be a whiny little ***** to me. maybe if he wins every title for the next 10 years ill change my tune. so, no...

BKLYNpigeon
08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
give it 2 years, everyone will forget about it.

BKLYNpigeon
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
you guys speak about Dwight like he Murdered someone. dont believe everything you read on NBA rumor sites. Both sides are can equally be right and wrong.

you guys dont really know the whole truth to his situation.

People forgot about Lebron over his departure

People forgave Kobe after to boinked a girl in Colorado..

people will forget. really fast.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Winning and making fun of yourself or the situation in the future ...

Do a McDonald's commercial with Dwight at the drive through picking a number one and have him change his mind 5 times let it go through to night time and he still can't decide and show a long line of cars behind him for miles.... people will laugh and get over.

When you make fun of yourself it takes away peoples ammo and people will forget faster and now care. Kind of like the last rap battle in 8mile ...

But yea that and winning in a few years this won't matter

Hahahaha would love to see those commercials.

And the 8 mile last battle - :clap:

C_Mund
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
you guys speak about Dwight like he Murdered someone. dont believe everything you read on NBA rumor sites. Both sides are can equally be right and wrong.

you guys dont really know the whole truth to his situation.

People forgot about Lebron over his departure

People forgave Kobe after to boinked a girl in Colorado..

people will forget. really fast.

1. I wouldn't say that people have forgotten about Lebron's departure, and it's probably the most controversial free-agent moves of all time and will go down as such.
2. Kobe was never convicted of rape, he settled out of court and therefore it was an affair. Nothing new among athletes.
3. You're entirely correct that Dwight didn't do anything super serious, but being such a punk is the best way to alienate yourself from the fans that pay your monstrous salary. If he ends up in BK after all of this it just goes to show that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I don't see how people will get over it any time in the near future. He'll still have his fans but I don't see his game being transcendent like LBJ so it's kind of tough to compare the two situations

Lakerfan In NY
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Just "win baby win" all is forgive

Jamiecballer
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
winning has nothing to do with this. Lebron won, but a large portion of non Heat fans still dislike him. Kobe won, but a large portion of non Laker fans dislike him. Respect can be earned back but it will NEVER be the same just like it will never be the same for Kobe and Lebron.

juggla53
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
everyone thought kobe's image was dead in the water after the whole the ******** rape trial when sponsors were being pulled left and right and he recovered in a very big way, a title or two and a couple of great seasons for dwight would likley make this just a bad memory, the sports world tends to have a short term memory

RLundi
08-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Yup, it's only Magic fans calling you out :rolleyes:

Countless fans of other teams have called you out for being a 'fan' of the Nets initially, the Magic for a couple weeks and now the Lakers. In fact, the post that started this debate in this thread was by a Knicks fan.

Lol no one cares who you root for. We just know it changes every so often.

RLundi
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
OMG show me my post or STFU you liar.I hate when people say stuff that's untrue.

I said Orlando should have took the Brooklyn deal because it gave them what they want cap relief and draft picks.Does that mean im a Nets fan?

You act like I was rooting for Brooklyn,please please show me where I said I was a Nets fans?

Lol you are so full of crap, it's getting pathetic.

You were a Nets fan, then a Magic fan, now you're a Lakers fan, you'll be a Rockets fan in a couple of weeks, then next summer and beyond you'll be a Mavericks fan until you find the next athlete's balls to cling to.

Sad :laugh2:

Aust
08-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Not a full repair, but time and winning can make people forget about this headache. I mean, I don't remember much about the Melo fiasco tbh. It'd be great for Dwight if another star player goes through this sort of mess to take the heat off himself.

Chill_Will_24
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I will tell you one thing. For all the hate Melo received, he definitely handled his **** like a man compared to Dwight.

Still think Melo is overrated and not a top 10 player

fadedmario
08-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I will tell you one thing. For all the hate Melo received, he definitely handled his **** like a man compared to Dwight.

Still think Melo is overrated and not a top 10 player

He's no Brook Lopez, that's for sure..

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Lol you are so full of crap, it's getting pathetic.

You were a Nets fan, then a Magic fan, now you're a Lakers fan, you'll be a Rockets fan in a couple of weeks, then next summer and beyond you'll be a Mavericks fan until you find the next athlete's balls to cling to.

Sad :laugh2:

Ok im a Nets/Magic/Lakers/Rockets fan tell the whole world,who cares dude move on.

Im a bandwagon fan im not the first and wan't be the last.

You happy I told PSD im a bandwagon fan,now move on and quit telling me the same thing everyday.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Way to go rlundi you hurt the trolls feelings.... I didn't know they had feelings

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Way to go rlundi you hurt the trolls feelings.... I didn't know they had feelings

You Magic fans seem to have nothing else to do but bother me in the NBA forum,why don't you guys stay on your board,Oh I forgot it's dead over there.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Lol yep us "5 fans" are bored I guess

D12 fan
08-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Lol yep us "5 fans" are bored I guess

look at my avatar now look under my name D12 fan read what it says.:D

bedford1829
08-02-2012, 11:28 PM

This is 100% accurate, American Sports fans have an extremely short memory. We live in a what have you done for me lately world and nowhere is it truer than in the sports world.

Guys accused of rape are drawing top endorsement dollars a few short years after the incidents.

Lebron made a mockery of the city of Cleveland in one of the most self interested spectacles the sport has even seen.

The list goes on with drunks, womanizers, and drug addicts who all eventually become sympathetic figures because they try to fight through their own self-imposed adversities.

A little bit of time and some dominant play and team success and we wont even think about the way Dwight has turned his back on Orlando. The funny part is that Dwight always seemed like a guy who was so hungry for fan approval and desperately wanted to be one of the NBA"s go to marketing guys, and he selfishly ruined it all on his own.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Lol @ d12troll...I'm not the one who pms you and calls you names like a 12 year old

Sssmush
08-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Orlando is repairing it for him.

omagicdon
08-03-2012, 03:32 AM
I'm reading posts and all it is is bickering....whats the topic...
Sadly,miss howard will be forgiven..I remember very well thinkin "man lebron will never be able to live this ish down"
And strangley enough,he has his "purchased"ring and ALL IS 4GOTN!
So I say next summer,summer after,we won't remember WHAT A BUM THIS DWIGHT COWARD REALLY WAS/IS!!!!