PDA

View Full Version : Huselius/Arnott..Thoughts??

Mula225
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I know our roster is pretty full at the moment, but any thoughts on grabbing either of these 2 for the year? I know Huselius hasn't been healthy the past 2 seasons; but is it worth taking a chance for 1-1.2 mil for a season? How about Arnott to get a solid big bodied center for our 3rd line? Both could possibly put 15-20 biscuits in the net.

Nash - Richards - Kreider
Gaborik - Stepan - Hags
Cally - Boyle (Arnott) - Pyatt (Huselius)
Asham - Halpern (Boyle) - Rupp (Pyatt)

fingerbang
08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I'd take Arnott for a year.

Redfish
08-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I do not see a need to sign/acquire a 3rd or 4th line forward. Putting $ aside, Shane Doan makes sense to assume a 1st or 2nd line role during Gaborik's absence, however, after Gaborik returns, it seems we'll have plenty of 3rd and 4th line forwards. So, Arnott, Huselieus, others don't seem to fit.

Also, the club has benefitted greatly the past two seasons by calling up prospects mid-season (i.e., McDonagh, Hagelin). I am anxious to see if 1st round pick JT Miller makes the club during pre-season or is called up mid-season. He has progressed nicely and is physically ready to handle NHL games. It's important to keep developing our youth and not creat a logjam on the 3rd line, for example.

jetsfan89
08-02-2012, 01:45 AM
I don't see huselius getting more than a TC invite. As for Arnott, I haven't heard anything about the Rangers being interested, but I wouldn't mind. Still, I'm going on the record here that when the season starts J.T. Miller will be our third line center.

Dernelle
08-02-2012, 11:42 AM
No thanks, Arnott is washed up, Rangers dont need another slug. Huselius doesn't fit into the system.

Ballistik
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Pass on Huselius. Id take a shot on Arnott though.

IAmARanger18
08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Arnott for 1 year is not a bad move at all.

bsi
08-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Arnott has value on a short term contract for low money but I'd say we already looked at him and didn't like the money or term and then signed Halpern and Pyatt instead, but that's just a guess. Our biggest need is a bottom pair d man, hopefully a right shot.

nyr2002nyr
08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
No thanks, Arnott is washed up, Rangers dont need another slug. Huselius doesn't fit into the system.

I wouldnt say he is washed up. At 1 mil for 1 year he would be a nice addition. I think he had 17 and 17 in 70 games

bsi
08-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I also think people here are gonna be impressed with what they are getting in Halpern and Pyatt for our bottom 6. I think they were a couple of really smart signings by Slats that will definatley replace Fedotenko and Mitchell as an upgrade. I also have a suspicion that Prust's body is already feeling the toll of his style of play and his willingness to do whatever it takes, love the guy but I'd say as a young player he's played a lot of hard hockey and he's probably on the decline even though he's not an old player. I think he would have tried to stay here for less money if that weren't the case, as it was he needed the pay day, just my guess, I have no proof of this or anything, just speculation.

IAmARanger18
08-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Arnott is a great locker room guy, would be perfect for the young guys.

Redfish
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Arnott is a great locker room guy, would be perfect for the young guys.

No doubt, Arnott is a gifted leader. I tend to think this team has the "locker room" and "chemistry" aspects of a winning team fully established though. Callahan, Richards, Nash, Girardi, and Hank, for example, assure this team is committed.

I'd rather keep a spot open for a prospect such as JT Miller than sign a seasoned veteran.

averymustgo
08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm interested to see what Pyatt brings. I thought Fedotenko stunk last year. I don't buy into the fact he was one of our better players in the playoffs. Garbage. He did nothing. I never felt he was dangerous at any time on the ice. He also lost battles in the corner constantly.

Ranger71
08-06-2012, 06:10 AM
Even someone on a one-year deal like Langkow/Hecht could fit the bill until Miller is fully ready next year. I think he needs a full season in Ct. to get the physical side of things down, he's still only 20. Fasth is slated to play in Sweden I believe for another year so its moot to discuss him for this season.

averymustgo
08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Only thing I know is that Boyle can't be the teams third line center. That is not acceptable.

rocowear21
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I would take arnott in a heartbeat. I believe bleacherreport has a stat line for him for the past few seasons. I believe last year he had like 15 goals and 16 assists. Is descent on Faceoffs and he blocks shots and plays physical . He could Center our second pp line.

It said he would take his salary from last year. 1 year at around 2.35. I would do that.

bsi
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I would take arnott in a heartbeat. I believe bleacherreport has a stat line for him for the past few seasons. I believe last year he had like 15 goals and 16 assists. Is descent on Faceoffs and he blocks shots and plays physical . He could Center our second pp line.

It said he would take his salary from last year. 1 year at around 2.35. I would do that.

I'd do that contract for sure. We definately could use a guy like him on our #2 pp. Our first PP to start the year should be Kreider, Stepan Nash with DelZotto and Richards on the point...doesn't leave much for the second unit. Likely leaves Hagelin, Boyle, Callahan, Girardi and Staal, that doesn't instil much confidence in me.

rocowear21
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Agree I dont like that second unit. But to be honest isnt nash the kind of player that can play the entire pp, kinda like a kovi.

rocowear21
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I also wouldn't mind halpern on the pp as well as I have read that he has a descent one timer and his faceoffs should help.

bsi
08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Agree I dont like that second unit. But to be honest isnt nash the kind of player that can play the entire pp, kinda like a kovi.

I don't think that's a real good game plan night in and night out though, especially if the first unit is not being effective. There's a very good reason why NJ gave up a lot of short handed goals last year.

apdamico
08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Doan is down to 3 teams and Rangers appear to be on the short list. I didn't think this could get done with the contract numbers being thrown around, but maybe Doan is still a possiblity. I'm hoping if he does sign, it's not for more than a 2-year contract, with possilby a team option for the 3rd year.

I think Doan is a perfect fit in the Rangers system, but it would likely translate to Callahan moving down to the 3rd line once Gaborik returns. Regardless, if the price is right, I'm all for his signing!

He's certainly a better addition than the players mentioned above.

apdamico
08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I'd do that contract for sure. We definately could use a guy like him on our #2 pp. Our first PP to start the year should be Kreider, Stepan Nash with DelZotto and Richards on the point...doesn't leave much for the second unit. Likely leaves Hagelin, Boyle, Callahan, Girardi and Staal, that doesn't instil much confidence in me.

Maybe signed Tomas Holmstrom, he's one tough guy to move from in front of the net on the PP!

BTW, I think Nash is much more versatile than people are giving him credit. I bet he's even out there on the penalty killing unit, I know he was with Columbus!

bsi
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Doan is down to 3 teams and Rangers appear to be on the short list. I didn't think this could get done with the contract numbers being thrown around, but maybe Doan is still a possiblity. I'm hoping if he does sign, it's not for more than a 2-year contract, with possilby a team option for the 3rd year.

I think Doan is a perfect fit in the Rangers system, but it would likely translate to Callahan moving down to the 3rd line once Gaborik returns. Regardless, if the price is right, I'm all for his signing!

He's certainly a better addition than the players mentioned above.

Doan is a perfect fit in every way but in what he expects for term and $ on a contract...I'm out of Doan if he's 4 yrs and 30 mill.

nyr1980
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
If Doan goes elsewhere, or wants too much in money or term, then Jason Arnott would be a really nice consolation prize. Still can play12-15 mins a night, still physical and has great size, still has good hands around the net and can pot 15-20 as he had 17 last year playing 14 mins a night on not the best of offensive teams.

Brings experience, leadership, grit, physicality, and quite a bit of versatility as he can play anywhere up front, as well as on either of your special teams.

Still a nice player at a reasonable price as long as he's not asked to do too much, which he wouldn't be were he to become a Ranger.

Huselius is an absolute no however.

He's missed 120+ games to injury over the last 2 seasons, and is the type of player tailor made to find his way into the Chateau Bow Wow as JD used to say with Torts.