PDA

View Full Version : Lakers changing gameplan, going to Princeton Offense

Chronz
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-goes-back-to-school--lakers-switching-to-princeton-offense.html

LONDON Kobe Bryant has been searching for spacing and freedom and flow on offense, for a way to counter defenses bent on sagging and suffocating him on the floor. Even before the Los Angeles Lakers delivered him point guard Steve Nash, Bryant had raised an idea with coach Mike Brown about the possibility of employing a distant cousin to the triangle the Princeton offense.
So there was Brown and Bryant in a side room in a Las Vegas gymnasium during Team USA's training camp in early July, listening to Eddie Jordan detail the offense's intricacies, laying out how Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum would benefit with and without the basketball. Here was an old-school Ivy League blueprint daring to be a solution for the Showtime Lakers' issues.
Jordan happens to be the foremost Princeton authority in the NBA, the heir to architect Pete Carril, and that's an immense part of why the Lakers are moving toward an agreement to hire Jordan as an assistant coach. Jordan sold his vision of the offense to a most willing subject, and ultimately Bryant departed for these Olympics convinced that the Lakers have a sound plan of action for the 2012-13 season.

Thoughts? From Triangle, to whatever the **** Brown ran, to Princeton. Step up right?

Hawkeye15
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Does Mike Brown know what a Princeton offense is? Serious question. As long as Brown is their coach, they will have one of the more inept offensive minds in basketball at the wheel.

Chronz
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I think I read that they hired Eddie Johnson as an assistant.

justjames
08-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Anything is better than that pile of **** they tried last season.

thekmp211
08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Does Mike Brown know what a Princeton offense is? Serious question. As long as Brown is their coach, they will have one of the more inept offensive minds in basketball at the wheel.

nash will hopefully get to run the show.

i think that's what is happening here. call it whatever you want, the princeton offense in NJ worked with kidd running the show. it should theoretically also help kobe move away from the hero-ball and get him good open looks with screening action and whatnot. smart if they make it work.

justinnum1
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM

They did. They basically wasted a season last year with that joke of an offense(if their even was one) that they were trying to run(whatever it was)

LakersIn5
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Its eddie jordan not eddie johnson. Lol

Chronz
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Yea that guy

Aust
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Let Kobe and Nash work on the offense, and let Brown work on the defense and you shall have perfect harmony.

SteBO
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
The Princeton offense as far as I'm concerned is the second best thing for the Lakers outside of the triangle offense. As far as this coming to fruition will depend on how much freedom Mike Brown allows Steve Nash to have.

MintBerryCrunch
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Let Kobe and Nash work on the offense, and let Brown work on the defense and you shall have perfect harmony.

Thissssss

Punk
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Uhh...The Princeton offense requires ball movement, fastbreak basketball and movement without the ball.

Basically it's for teams like OKC, Miami, Spurs etc. It is not designed for teams with two low post bigs, a wing scorer and a ball dominate PG.

I do not get this at all. They'd be better off letting Nash do all the work and Kobe come off screens.

BALLER R
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Nash and Kobe will have all the freedom they want. Brown seems like he would let a star player do anything they want.

Bruno
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
this should be good. there's no real way for brown to mess this up with Nash and Kobe running the show. it will feel familiar to the guys who were use to the triangle, but at the same time it will give nash a lot of control. i'd be willing to bet that the addition of Nash and the instillation of this offense will result in Bryant getting back to 45%/.550, and Gasol getting back to 53%/.590.

Chronz
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Uhh...The Princeton offense requires ball movement, fastbreak basketball and movement without the ball.

Basically it's for teams like OKC, Miami, Spurs etc. It is not designed for teams with two low post bigs, a wing scorer and a ball dominate PG.

I do not get this at all. They'd be better off letting Nash do all the work and Kobe come off screens.

Good point, I didnt like it when Adelman took Yao out of the low post. The Lakers have 2 bigs who are at their best in the post. Im sure they will still get their touches but it seems like this is a move made to maximize Kobes efficiency. Which considering how often he shoots, may not be a bad move. I really wonder how all the pieces fit. I was curious to see it before, even moreso now with all the changes. Antawn should thrive tho. Pau has the skill but he was complaining about not getting the ball on the blocks as it was.

KnicksorBust
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

They don't need to run it for 48 minutes for it to be effective. I can easily it working for one of their smaller lineups with Jamison as a stretch 4 and Gasol at the 5.

fresh prince
08-01-2012, 08:23 PM

:confused:

If you don't know what you are talking about don't make things up. How does a half court offensive set have anything to do with Fast break basketball?

The two biggest things a good Princeton offense needs is :

1. A good point guard
2. A good passing big

The Lakers have Nash and Pau and Bynum is actually a solid passer as well all fitting those needs. Pau with the ball in the high post and dual side cutting action could be a deadly set for the Lakers.

This is a smart move. Pau is much more effective in the High post which leaves the low post to Bynum where in the Princeton offense he either sets back picks for cutters or flashes to the middle in the deep post. Its actually an ideal set for Drew/ Pau's skill sets.

bholly
08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
lol, Eddie Jordan got another job? This should be fun.

$GangGr33n$
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
not to sound stupid but whats the Princeton offense?

I'llhaveanother
08-01-2012, 09:09 PM
They did. They basically wasted a season last year with that joke of an offense(if their even was one) that they were trying to run(whatever it was)

You bait with the best of them.

THE MTL
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
what exactly is the princeton offense? lmao. im serious though

b@llhog24
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Lol whenever the ball reaches Bynum's hands it's going to stop. :p

Hawkeye15
08-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Eddie Johnson the SF from the 80's and 90's? Hoopshype writer?

Hawkeye15
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
nash will hopefully get to run the show.

i think that's what is happening here. call it whatever you want, the princeton offense in NJ worked with kidd running the show. it should theoretically also help kobe move away from the hero-ball and get him good open looks with screening action and whatnot. smart if they make it work.

Oh, that was my first comment when I found out Nash was a Laker. At least they have a better coach on the floor now then on the sidelines.

Losoway
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Lakers offense - Pass kobe the ball and pray

Hawkeye15
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
The Princeton offense doesn't fit a ball stopper like Kobe at this point, with no cutters. Not sure why they are implementing it.

Bravo95
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
If you don't know what you are talking about don't make things up. How does a half court offensive set have anything to do with Fast break basketball?

The two biggest things a good Princeton offense needs is :

1. A good point guard
2. A good passing big

The Lakers have Nash and Pau and Bynum is actually a solid passer as well all fitting those needs. Pau with the ball in the high post and dual side cutting action could be a deadly set for the Lakers.

This is a smart move. Pau is much more effective in the High post which leaves the low post to Bynum where in the Princeton offense he either sets back picks for cutters or flashes to the middle in the deep post. Its actually an ideal set for Drew/ Pau's skill sets.
Yeah, the Princeton offense is kind of a simplified version of the Triangle, right? A lot of 2-man and 3-man game, read and react, no set plays, etc. It goes back to running their offense through Pau, which won them a couple rings. They probably won't run it exclusively since Nash is still the master of pick and roll and pushing the tempo early in the shotclock, more like a mix of all of the above. But if a guy like Bynum buys in, it's a definite upgrade.

The goods
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM

This.

b@llhog24
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
not to sound stupid but whats the Princeton offense?

what exactly is the princeton offense? lmao. im serious though

Wikipedia isn't that hard to find gentlemen. But basically its an offensive system based on constant ball and player movement, passing & backdoor cuts. The Sacramento Kings of old made it really famous as far as the Nba goes. The closest offense to it now imo is the one used by the Spurs.

Losoway
08-01-2012, 11:27 PM
kobe is a ball stopper. the princeton offense is keeping the ball moving around at a fast pace

not taking 98 foot fadeway one leg shots

Bravo95
08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Nah, it's for teams with high bball IQ players and good passers, guys who can really read a defense.

Nash, Bryant, Gasol, Jamison... that's a pretty good quartet.

They don't need to run it for 48 minutes for it to be effective. I can easily it working for one of their smaller lineups with Jamison as a stretch 4 and Gasol at the 5.
Yeah.

phlp_bj
08-01-2012, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WZoTYdsQE

lakerswest44
08-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Wikipedia isn't that hard to find gentlemen. But basically its an offensive system based on constant ball and player movement, passing & backdoor cuts. The Sacramento Kings of old made it really famous as far as the Nba goes. The closest offense to it now imo is the one used by the Spurs.

I didn't get to see the timberwolves play that much last season but doesn't Adelman still run his variation of the Princeton offense?

b@llhog24
08-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I didn't get to see the timberwolves play that much last season but doesn't Adelman still run his variation of the Princeton offense?

We're pretty much in the same boat brother. Lol the Twolves don't get that many nationally televised games and it's not everyday I look at the schedule and think "hey I'm going to watch me a Timberwolves games."

Cano-Montero...
08-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Lol whenever the ball reaches Bynum's hands it's going to stop. :p

good thing it will be dwight on the 5 spot when that offense is run...;)

b@llhog24
08-02-2012, 12:03 AM
good thing it will be dwight on the 5 spot when that offense is run...;)

Touche' :cool:

lakers4sho
08-02-2012, 12:24 AM
actually i'm more doubtful about bynum more than kobe about fitting in. bigs must be mobile, able to hit the midrange J, and be able to read the defense and pass to exploit it.

Kashmir13579
08-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Why don't they run the D'antoni offense Nash has been running since 2006? Bynum too big and Kobe too old? I don't get it. Maybe Steve Nash is too old and wants to be a spot-up shooter.

Chavacano
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Anything is better than that pile of **** they tried last season.

This.

actually i'm more doubtful about bynum more than kobe about fitting in. bigs must be mobile, able to hit the midrange J, and be able to read the defense and pass to exploit it.

This is what worries me the most.

justjames
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM

You just described Pau's skillset. Bynum is going to slide back in the offense as the guy that cleans up the boards

Hellcrooner
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
teh real question here is.

Will Bynum on a CONTRACT year, buy into having his stats go down?

Because the system fits better for Nash, Pau and Kobe than for him.

that if it sbynum and not howard.

justjames
08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
teh real question here is.

Will Bynum on a CONTRACT year, buy into having his stats go down?

Because the system fits better for Nash, Pau and Kobe than for him.

that if it sbynum and not howard.

Bynum is a smart guy despite his shenanigans. He probably knows this is what is going to happen. Lakers are getting some leverage to get him to sign an extension now instead of waiting to hit free agency to sign a max deal.

lakersrock
08-02-2012, 02:22 PM
The Princeton offense doesn't fit a ball stopper like Kobe at this point, with no cutters. Not sure why they are implementing it.

Have you not heard how glad Kobe is he doesn't have to have the ball all game? Also, Kobe and Artest are very good cutters going between Nash and Gasol. Could be better, but it's Kobe and Artest is now in ******** shape and will be a defensive monster like he used to be.

lakers4sho
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
You just described Pau's skillset. Bynum is going to slide back in the offense as the guy that cleans up the boards

good luck convincing him to take that role :rolleyes:

Bruno
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM

how would your impression of Kobe change if his FGA per game dropped from 24 to 18, and he played more off the ball for the sake of the offense? The addition of Nash, the implementation of this offense, and Bryant losing 16 pounds (to be able to move quicker off the ball) all suggest that he might be willing to adjust his game now at 34. believe it when you see it?

MrFastBreak
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Good point, I didnt like it when Adelman took Yao out of the low post. The Lakers have 2 bigs who are at their best in the post. Im sure they will still get their touches but it seems like this is a move made to maximize Kobes efficiency. Which considering how often he shoots, may not be a bad move. I really wonder how all the pieces fit. I was curious to see it before, even moreso now with all the changes. Antawn should thrive tho. Pau has the skill but he was complaining about not getting the ball on the blocks as it was.

Cant they implement iso plays into the mix and not run Princeton 24/7? How would that work?

It may work out better if they implemented more iso plays for Kobe, Pau and Bynum with 'Twan and Nash spacing the floor.

Agreed.

IBleedPurple
08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Nuggets ran this in the early Melo days when Bzdelik was coach. It can be very effective, but not with a player like Melo.....or in this case, Kobe.

This offense fits a younger team much better.