PDA

View Full Version : New arena approved for Seattle

Punk
07-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Council Chair Larry Gossett and Kathy Lambert say they’ll vote in favor of the arena deal, which seals the deal. The 6-3 vote was taken to applause from the audience.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/07/king-county-council-takes-up-arena-proposal/

RT @ErikaJSchultz: Sonics fans show hopeful anticipation before @KCCouncil approved arena agreement 6-3 #SeattleArena

one step closer to the return of the Sonics. Congrats Seattle.

Lakers + Giants
07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Bye Queens.

bucketss
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Bye Queens.

LTBaByyy
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Seattle vs OKC

Let the rivalry begin! :clap:

Lake_Show2416
07-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Bye Queens.

better than 3 teams in LA

ThunderousDemon
07-31-2012, 08:40 PM
better than 3 teams in LA

The Sacramento Queens aren't in LA.

douglas
07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Maybe the new Seattle team can be called the Super Duper Sonics?

THINKBLUE15
07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
The Sacramento Queens aren't in LA.

The Kings were close to moving to Anaheim, which is a suburb of LA

Utd7
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Congrats Seattle, well deserved.

*Silver&Black*
07-31-2012, 09:18 PM
The Seattle "We should have the Thunder's roster right now but instead most likely a rebuilding team" Sonics. Good for them. Nice to have the Sonics back.

schilling
07-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Who's to say it's for NBA though? The Phoenix Coyotes were drawing interest for a relocation to bring hockey to Seattle... :shrug:

Until any intentions are officially announced, don't get too excited just yet.

Baller1
07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Who's to say it's for NBA though? The Phoenix Coyotes were drawing interest for a relocation to bring hockey to Seattle... :shrug:

Until any intentions are officially announced, don't get too excited just yet.

It's for the NBA, NHL, concerts, conventions, etc.

It's going to be Seattle's super complex, well that's the hope at least.

Wade>You
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Sucks they can't get Durant back, but I'm hoping they get the Sonics back. The NBA isn't the same without the Sonics.

*Silver&Black*
07-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Sucks they can't get Durant back

"I'm taking my Talents back to Seattle."

justinnum1
07-31-2012, 09:37 PM
It's for the NBA, NHL, concerts, conventions, etc.

It's going to be Seattle's super complex, well that's the hope at least.

What team would you want to relocate their? realistically?

StarvingKnick22
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
the abandon city, is now repopulated! :clap:

king4day
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
After what happend to the Kings, I won't believe it till I see it being built.

shen
07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
After what happend to the Kings, I won't believe it till I see it being built.

Absolutely no resemblance what so ever between the two cases. Sacramento was fighting to get cheap *** owners to help the Kings stay. Seattle and other private investors are willing to do all the work. Kings owners never wanted to stay and did not negotiate in good faith, could not be more different from Seattle situation.

shen
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
And before anyone says that is wishful thinking by a Seattle fan think again I am from Portland Oregon and am a Blazer fan. Though I am looking forward to having back the rivalry.

Gritz
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Give'em Charlotte

shen
07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Give'em Charlotte

And move Griz to Eastern Conference where they should be. Get NBA back to Seattle and make the Eastern Conference better overall, sounds good.

(Please no Bobcats fans take that offensive am not attacking you or your city, just saying if have to take someones team you or Kings make most since and the current division/conference alignment irks me a bit)

Sinestro
07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
And move Griz to Eastern Conference where they should be. Get NBA back to Seattle and make the Eastern Conference better overall, sounds good.

(Please no Bobcats fans take that offensive am not attacking you or your city, just saying if have to take someones team you or Kings make most since and the current division/conference alignment irks me a bit)

Would like that very much although it would suck for Bobcats fans

todu82
07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Good for Seattle. Let's see if they get a new NBA team or even a NHL team.

Losoway
07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
i hope there jerseys stay the same

easily top 5 best colorway in nba history

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
That's awesome !! Great news for the city of Seattle!!

mike_noodles
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM

So the 12 of them form a support group and life goes on.

Chavacano
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Sucks they can't get Durant back, but I'm hoping they get the Sonics back. The NBA isn't the same without the Sonics.

This. :sigh:

Dade County
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Give Seattle back their team, and the people of OKC can have Sacramento or an expansion team.

Lets see if those screaming maniacs in Oklahoma will show up for there new expansion team. lol I know they will.

king4day
07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Absolutely no resemblance what so ever between the two cases. Sacramento was fighting to get cheap *** owners to help the Kings stay. Seattle and other private investors are willing to do all the work. Kings owners never wanted to stay and did not negotiate in good faith, could not be more different from Seattle situation.

Then it'll be interesting to see what team winds up relocating there. The Maloofs seem set on Anaheim. Not sure what other teams will be prepared to move.

TeamSeattle
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
******* yes baby. Now all we need is an nba team and hockey team. It's gonna be maybe 5-10yrs before this all happens but I'm stoked. Sonic games here I come :dance:

king4day
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Give'em Charlotte

It'll cost a fortune to break the contract with the Time Warner Cable Arena that the Bobcats play in.
Jordan did say he'd consider selling if the team doesn't turn it around in a few years but with the core they're putting together, it's unlikely that will happen by the time Seattle is ready to move a team in there.

Memphis is having success so it's hard to see them leaving either. Sacramento is their best chance back in and I haven't heard of the Maloofs considering Seattle as a destination even though it would make more sense than putting another team near LA.

Aust
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Good, the Kings need to go to Seattle NOT Anaheim

THE MTL
07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Seattle needs to just buy an NBA team

Losoway
08-01-2012, 01:41 AM
so what time is moving to seattle?

xk4
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Just so everyone is clear, this was only a proposal that has been passed by the County Council. Changes will be made, at which point it will need to be voted on again. And then it still needs to be approved by the City Council

(but things do look good :))

Here's a bunch of info:

""We're not taking a vote today to build a basketball arena, we're taking a vote today on a plan for moving forward on a basketball arena."

...Traffic concerns in the SoDo neighborhood — where Safeco Field, CenturyLink Field and the Port of Seattle all share limited space...

...Dunn and Phillips both said they were not comfortable with Monday's vote being a binding agreement and wanted to see the results of an in-depth economic study that was amended into the agreement, concerned that a new arena could hurt business at the Port of Seattle...

...While Monday's vote was an important step, the county could be back voting again in the near future. Any changes the city council makes to the memorandum of understanding — and there are almost assured to be changes — would then need to go back to the county for approval....
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8215289/king-county-council-approves-seattle-arena-plan

The City Council wants to ensure that a portion of tax revenues generated by a new arena would help pay for local transportation improvements.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/King-County-Council-approves-Seattle-arena-plan-073012

No new taxes will be required. The arena will be self-financed.

Only taxes generated from construction and operation will be used for the project. In other words, it is funded by revenue that only exists because of the arena.
http://www.seattle.gov/arena/

Reason it will almost certainly be passed^

Additional amendments have dealt with securing the rights to the Sonics name, offering reduced-price tickets, supporting the Seattle Storm and requiring an economic analysis. The discussion is continuing.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/07/king-county-council-takes-up-arena-proposal/

:clap:

dsonLAL24
08-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Get it done asap!

We want basketball in Seattle!

cheaptrikz
08-01-2012, 02:00 AM
what are the chances they get the sonics name?

Structures
08-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Why are you guys excited about this? I loved the Sonics too but I don't want to see Sacramento lose their team. They've got some loyal fans. And I dont know how any Seattle fan could support the team if they were moved there, knowing that they're putting other fans through the same thing they just went through.

broncosfan4eva
08-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Why are you guys excited about this? I loved the Sonics too but I don't want to see Sacramento lose their team. They've got some loyal fans. And I dont know how any Seattle fan could support the team if they were moved there, knowing that they're putting other fans through the same thing they just went through.

Good points.

PleaseBeNice
08-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Love the jabs guys. Keep up the immature PSD stereotype

Boozerguy47
08-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Just so everyone is clear, this was only a proposal that has been passed by the County Council. Changes will be made, at which point it will need to be voted on again. And then it still needs to be approved by the City Council

(but things do look good :))

Here's a bunch of info:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8215289/king-county-council-approves-seattle-arena-plan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/King-County-Council-approves-Seattle-arena-plan-073012

http://www.seattle.gov/arena/

Reason it will almost certainly be passed^

:clap:

The King County Council already passed it. They suggested the changes to Hansen but still approved it. The next step is the Seattle Council.

If it all works out, I hope we play OKC for the home opener. Clay better not be within 500 miles of the arena.

PleaseBeNice
08-01-2012, 02:19 AM
its also funny how some of you want the kings gone to seattle. if that happens, in 3 years you'll all be clamoring "give sacramento its team back"

Boozerguy47
08-01-2012, 02:22 AM

Yes it's unfortunate, but the fact is if Sacramento relocates it won't be even close to the same situation as the Sonics move to OKC. Everyone knows the Kings have been on the verge of moving for the past year or so. The Sonics were moved with essentially no warning.

Boozerguy47
08-01-2012, 02:24 AM
its also funny how some of you want the kings gone to seattle. if that happens, in 3 years you'll all be clamoring "give sacramento its team back"

It's just ridiculous how Stern's solution is to move under-performing teams to new venues (and/or require a new arena) and hope attendance increases.

JLynn943
08-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Sorry Seattle, but if it means losing the Kings, I hope this fails miserably. Just take Charlotte instead.

NYKnicksAllDay
08-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Sorry Seattle, but if it means losing the Kings, I hope this fails miserably. Just take Charlotte instead.

I know it won't happen but I wish they'd just add two expansion teams. One in Seattle, and one in Vancouver/St. Louis/Kansas City. I hate it when teams have to move. I feel bad for the fans. It's still weird to me that the Grizzlies aren't in Vancouver, Charlotte is the Bobcats, and that New Orleans is the Hornets.

justjames
08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Not enough talent in the league for two more teams. It'd be like adding two more Bobcats.

Chavacano
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM

It's considerably high since I think the City of Seattle owns the rights to the Supersonics.

Not enough talent in the league for two more teams. It'd be like adding two more Bobcats.

This. :laugh2:

Theyhateme459
08-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I know it won't happen but I wish they'd just add two expansion teams. One in Seattle, and one in Vancouver/St. Louis/Kansas City. I hate it when teams have to move. I feel bad for the fans. It's still weird to me that the Grizzlies aren't in Vancouver, Charlotte is the Bobcats, and that New Orleans is the Hornets.

Not this, with the talent pool I would be for them subtracting 2 teams wayyyyy more versus adding two teams!

gatkins11
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Give'em Charlotte

No.

NYKnicksAllDay
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Not this, with the talent pool I would be for them subtracting 2 teams wayyyyy more versus adding two teams!

Exactly. That's why I said I know it won't happen.

BKLYNpigeon
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
the first team to move to Seattle with have the #1 Pick in the draft.

stipe1280
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
A day late...a buck short.

IBleedPurple
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Bring back Squatch! Terrible for the fans that they lost the team in the first place

alexander_37
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
It would be nice to see talent more spread out and keep teams from having 3+ all stars.

*Silver&Black*
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
It would be nice to see talent more spread out and keep teams from having 3+ all stars.

Creating more teams won't put an end to that. There will just be more bad teams and more money lost around the league. Players decide where to go during free agency, and other times (Dwight for example) is forcing his way to where he wants to go. Making a new team won't help that. If so, why isn't the Bobcats getting any of that talent?

To have more competitive teams, they would have to decrease the number of teams.

Baller1
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
What team would you want to relocate their? realistically?

Realistically? I honestly don't care. I just want the Green and Gold back.

In a perfect world? We get our team back from OKC.

Baller1
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM

100%. We retain our name, colors, logos, etc.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-01-2012, 10:43 PM

What if MKG becomes the next Pippen, Biyombo becomes Ibaka and they make the Finals in 3-4 years.. Oh wait.

Vinylman
08-01-2012, 11:17 PM

exactly....

Seattle''s gain is someone elses loss... it is no different than losing out to OKC...

the irony of this thread is pure comedy

Vinylman
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Yes it's unfortunate, but the fact is if Sacramento relocates it won't be even close to the same situation as the Sonics move to OKC. Everyone knows the Kings have been on the verge of moving for the past year or so. The Sonics were moved with essentially no warning.

rationalize much :rolleyes:

fwiw... i could care less if a team moves to seattle... its just funny how sonics fans have railed against the team moving to OKC when they know damn well building an arena will have the exact same impact on another community and group of fans..

Vinylman
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM

just what the NBA needs... further expansion :facepalm:

the product is so diluted now it is a joke...

the exact opposite is need ... contraction of 4 teams

NYKnicksAllDay
08-02-2012, 12:05 AM
just what the NBA needs... further expansion :facepalm:

the product is so diluted now it is a joke...

the exact opposite is need ... contraction of 4 teams

Did you read anything I wrote? I said I know that it won't happen, and that is exactly why it won't. Only reason I said I wish it were possible was so another city wouldn't have to lose their team.

Boozerguy47
08-02-2012, 12:53 AM
rationalize much :rolleyes:

fwiw... i could care less if a team moves to seattle... its just funny how sonics fans have railed against the team moving to OKC when they know damn well building an arena will have the exact same impact on another community and group of fans..

Umm... I fail to see how what I said isn't common knowledge. Are you suggesting that the Kings haven't been rumored to be on the move over the last 12+ months? Please. In no way am I trying to take shots at Sacramento or it's ownership. It's just the way its all played out.

Whomewhome
08-02-2012, 01:56 AM
I still don't get how Charlotte got a team back! To me that is the biggest robbery in the league.

I would love to eliminate two teams down to 28..

Smaller league = better players to share = better basketball and more competitive.

Yes I would welcome back Seattle in flash (Some of the best fans) I would get rid of 2 teams, Charlotte (sorry but they are lost between terrible ownership and horrible fans) and Sacto... but it's not up to me.

NoahH
08-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Give'em Charlotte

[b](Please no Bobcats fans take that offensive am not attacking you or your city, just saying if have to take someones team you or Kings make most since and the current division/conference alignment irks me a bit)[b/]

Do the Bobcats have fans?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Hopefully they get their rights. I know it all went to OKC after they couldn't get a new NBA team.

Kings Faithful
08-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Umm... I fail to see how what I said isn't common knowledge. Are you suggesting that the Kings haven't been rumored to be on the move over the last 12+ months? Please. In no way am I trying to take shots at Sacramento or it's ownership. It's just the way its all played out.

So what if we've known for 12 months? If the Kings are allowed to move it would be a travesty. After all that happened with the city approving a deal and the Maloofs raising hands with the Kevin Johnson in a "mission accomplished" moment, only to turn their backs and sabotage the whole thing. It was a fair deal for all sides and to allow them to move would just set a precedent for all small market teams that would allow the owners to strong arm their way out of city in search of bigger markets.

NYYCowboys
08-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Nice I've always liked the Sonics. Growing up I was a huge GP, and Kemp fan. Always liked them 2nd behind the Knicks, but I always had a soft spot for the Kings as well. It would be a shame for the Kings to be gone too. Just move the Nets no one in NY cares about them anyway :)

Dee_Edge
08-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Washington Basketball is back....Can't wait!

RLundi
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I hope Seattle gets a team. I like the direction the NBA is going in a few seasons, with the new San Francisco team and hopefully the one in Seattle. That will give the NBA at least a team in the top 15 markets in the United States.

Chavacano
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Hopefully they get their rights. I know it all went to OKC after they couldn't get a new NBA team.

Seattle still has the rights to the Supersonics.

Boozerguy47
08-03-2012, 02:48 AM
So what if we've known for 12 months? If the Kings are allowed to move it would be a travesty. After all that happened with the city approving a deal and the Maloofs raising hands with the Kevin Johnson in a "mission accomplished" moment, only to turn their backs and sabotage the whole thing. It was a fair deal for all sides and to allow them to move would just set a precedent for all small market teams that would allow the owners to strong arm their way out of city in search of bigger markets.

I recognize your point and I never said it wouldn't be a travesty. In no way am I disregarding what you're saying...

The focus of my previous posts was to say how the move of the Sonics was more extreme and classless than the potential move of the Kings. The old Sonics owner, Schultz, stated he sold the team to the owners that were "most likely to keep the team in Seattle"... Bennett reaffirmed this position only to later prove the goal of he and his partners was to move the team to OKC. Again, just saying how Sacramento has had a little more time and transparency than Seattle experienced.

Who knows, maybe the Kings will stay... Or the arena plan falls apart in Seattle.

StarvingKnick22
08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Seattle Sasquatches