PDA

View Full Version : Kalish called up, Sweeney to DL

AI
07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
The Red Sox have yet to announce anything. But it sounds like Sweeney will be out eight weeks, which is basically the rest of the regular season. Ryan Kalish is expected to join the team today.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/07/sweeney_apologi.html

Pedroia
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Red Sox outfielder Ryan Sweeney is expected to miss up to eight weeks with a hand injury suffered Monday night when he punched a door at Fenway Park in frustration.

He'll be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.

Sweeney was pulled off the field at the start of the ninth inning Monday, leading to speculation he had been traded.

But what really happened, according to Sweeney, was he had punched a door after making an out in the eighth inning and will be going for X-rays. He probably will be placed on the disabled list.

"It's huge. I feel like I just let the team down," said Sweeney, who added it was the pinky knuckle he hurt but didn't know whether it was broken. "I feel terrible right now. Obviously when you hit something and you just have so much adrenaline going and you don't know what happened. So afterwards it just hurt a little bit."

Sweeney :pity:

goshhhjosh
07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
What an idiot. I'd rather him punch a child in the stands - he'd at least still be healthy to trade.

SirHizz
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Why would we care at all? Sweeney's numbers over the past months have hardly been encouraging, Kalish can't be much worse.

Station 13
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Kalish look brutal last month here. just horrendous.

AI
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Why would we care at all? Sweeney's numbers over the past months have hardly been encouraging, Kalish can't be much worse.

Sweeney was trade bait, we could've got something for him.

Nomar
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Time for Kalish to make people stfu

AI
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
We know Ryan Kalish is coming up but is Ryan Lavarnway far behind? Red Sox may believe infusion of youth may be better than a deal for vets.

Cafardo

penuch
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Well now there is no way that we can trade him for anything. So he is right he did let the team down.

Nomar
07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Sweeney's homemade no trade clause was dumb he should get suspended. Theres no way he didnt know he was getting traded.

Sweet_Caroline
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Kalish needs to show me something. He's disappointed me.

-Lavigne43-
07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
It's not like Sweeney would have gotten anything in a trade. Kalish has been beasting in AAA since going down. He pretty much went straight to the majors after not playing baseball for around a year. Of course he was going to struggle.

bagwell368
07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Cafardo

I'm surprised we didn't move one of the catchers for Lavarnway to get his time.

Sweeney is an idiot. Told you guys when they made the deal and everyone was chortling how much we took Beane to the woodshed that Beane doesn't get beat in deals very often. Well, here is another one.

AI
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Sweeney required an operation on his broken pinkie, and will be out for a while. Kalish up.

Word is he'll be out for the rest of the season.

Station 13
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Word is he'll be out for the rest of the season.

**** him.

AI
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM

+2, I completely agree.

Nomar
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
It's not like Sweeney would have gotten anything in a trade. Kalish has been beasting in AAA since going down. He pretty much went straight to the majors after not playing baseball for around a year. Of course he was going to struggle.

Thats what i aid but nobody finds that a valid reason to cut him slack.

Bo Sox Fan
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Ryan Sweeney is 6'4 225 pounds, yet can't even hit a baseball to the warning track.

Who cares

LasahShow14
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
So any chance now of Lavarnway getting called up before Sept.?

Station 13
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM

Only if Salty/Shoppach go down. But with Ortiz out 2 week+ they should had call him up.

penuch
07-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I know he doesn't have a lot of power, but I couldn't get over the fact that he hasn't hit a single HR this year. Anybody know the last red sox Ofer to not hit a HR in a season, granted he only had 200 ab but still?

Sweet_Caroline
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Good bye Sween dog

bagwell368
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Shoppach could be a waiver wire move, injuries to either C, or Sept 1st.

RedSoxtober
08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Sweeney was trade bait, we could've got something for him.
Not just trade bait. They actually had the parameters of a deal that died when he broke his hand. Idiot.

Another in the category of deals we had in hand and chose not to exercise. Kept Salty despite offers of swapping him for SP and kept Shoppach even with fair offers from MIL/WAS because we needed him for defense (or so they said).

AI
08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Not just trade bait. They actually had the parameters of a deal that died when he broke his hand. Idiot.

Another in the category of deals we had in hand and chose not to exercise. Kept Salty despite offers of swapping him for SP and kept Shoppach even with fair offers from MIL/WAS because we needed him for defense (or so they said).

Curious, what where those deals?

I'm assuming that Sweeney was going to the Reds.

Nomar
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I hope Shoppach is involved in a waiver deal.

AI
08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
He won't clear waivers so it's unlikely.

Nomar
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Thats what i assumed too but Bags mentioned it, and so did someone on MLBTR.

Anybody have a reason why Shop would clear waivers?

RedSoxtober
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Curious, what where those deals?

I'm assuming that Sweeney was going to the Reds.
No clue, really. Just reading in various places that they had the deals.

Being claimed on waivers only limits you to which team you can trade him to, not whether you can trade him.

AI
08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Being claimed on waivers only limits you to which team you can trade him to, not whether you can trade him.

I know this, but many teams put in claims just to block deals to rivals. We wouldn't have any leverage in trade talks due to the fact that we can only deal him to the team that is awarded the claim so the offers will more than likely be uninspiring.