PDA

View Full Version : What's your first basketball memory?

Steelers23_06
07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Self explanatory. I always thought basketball was cool as a kid because my dad got me collecting cards and my friends did too so I'm like 5 looking at ppg and jersey patch cards and stuff but basketball became amazing to me at the age of 6 watching Jordan hit the game winner against the jazz. Who didn't like Jordan as a kid especially with space jam he was so cool. So I saw how exciting basketball was at the moment so have live for the special moments and players that come into the league. So what's your story?

Hellcrooner
07-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Non Nba: Going to game of the spanish league with my father in my city, Breogan vs Real madrid in 1980 or 1981 or someting like that.

Nba: Going to visit my mothers family in venezuela around christmas in 83 or 84 and being completely ashtounded watching a Lakers vs Nuggets game on t.v , they quality was SO MUCH BETTER that what we had at spanish league at the time.

became a die hard fan in 1984 Olympics when spain reached the silver medal with the second best generation of players ( after the current one) we have had, Jordan and ewing were too much to handle on the final game tough.

Rocketsfan85
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I remember seeing the Penny Hardaway commercials wit lil penny and wanting too be like him basketball wise lol I used too collect everything from Penny I use too have his shoes his t-shirts,caps,jerseys everything and anything u can think of it was crazy he was my fav basketball player of all time

Big Zo
07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Going to my first game in 1994. Heat vs. Pacers at old Miami Arena. That place was tiny.

Knicks21
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
One of my friends started playing it, it all grew upon us in the schoolyard, playing king of the court at recess and such. We used to go around the streets looking for garage sales with basketball cards, have so many pre 1996 cards. Loved Space Jam, and loved Allen Iverson because when I was young I used to think the baggy clothes and covered in tattoos and earrings was cool for a white dude lol. My Brother got a ring when I was aged 7 or so, been playing ever since then.

Made it to my first game on Halloween of 2007, Magic vs. Bucks, Rashard Lewis's first game as a Magic. It was pretty sweet I love how the Americans embrace Halloween, never happens down here.

YashBoone
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
I just talked about this recently in the Knicks forum.

My first actual memories of NBA bball was watching games with my uncles in the lates 80's. But I was really too young to care much about who won and stats and crap like that.

But, I can remember when I went to my first game. I was 6 or 7. It wasn't planned. We were in the city to drop my aunt off somewhere, so my uncle took me and my brother to see the Knicks. Hearing Patrick Ewing announced at the garden was what made me fall in live with the Knicks.

I can't honestly say that I started watching them on my own on tv at 6 years old. But, on some level, I know that first experience at the garden is what keeps me around today. #Nostalgia

GoPacers33
07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm younger so sadly my first basketball memory of a NBA game is the brawl since it was such a big deal. I also remember going to see the World Championships festivities in Indianapolis in 2002

black1605
07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Probably this, when I was eight years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROmxtC_4HpQ

Went to the game with my mom. It was the first time the Hornets made it out of the first round of the playoffs.

JWO35
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Remembering my dad cheering for some guy name Michael Jordan like '98...I was a little kid barely knew what basketball was but those Red jerseys stood out to me.

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 10:14 AM
I was 8 when my Dad was watching the 1984 NBA finals, and I remember him screaming at the television and not understanding why. I started watching with my Dad, and getting into it with him. I believe it was 4, we can't remember exactly, but yeah, my Dad was going insane haha (he was a HUGE Bird fan), and his emotions and instensity got me into it as well. He started teaching me basketball the next day, because I was begging him to.

I went to my first NBA game in 1985, when we lived in Seattle.

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
"dad, why are those two fighting?"

pretty much what I asked when Jabbar elbowed Bird in the face during a rebound, and they got right in each other's ****.

Slug3
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a lot of memories, but the first one that stood out to me was when Zo had to sit out and get surgery because of his kidneys. That was just devastating to me when it happened.

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I have a lot of memories, but the first one that stood out to me was when Zo had to sit out and get surgery because of his kidneys. That was just devastating to me when it happened.

I had 3 kidney surgeries growing up, before that happened, and I remember it being sort of devastating for me as well. Zo was an animal on the floor and would fight anyone, never backing down, but off the floor, few match him as a class act. Love Zo.

BobbyHillSwag
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
my first bball memory was when iverson made like 7 threes against some team in the olympics. Damn that 2004 team sucked ***, but the 2003 team could whoop the team today. Also, I have some fond memories of Akeem but that was before he went beast mode on the league.

8kobe24
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Magic wins Game 4 of 1987 NBA Finals with a running hook. I was 6 at the time, I can remember all the commotion at my uncle's house. Ever since then, I have been a die hard Lakers fan. 3 players that I tried to emulate were Magic, Nick Van Exel, and of course Kobe.

ThunderousDemon
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF-cLS6VPRE

This is the only thing that comes to mind.

Kashmir13579
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
I've been to college basketball games since i was a pup and played the game since forever, but I was kinda just going through the motions.. I didn't really love basketball, until - My first meaningful memory was the 2003 NBA eastern conference playoffs. Dwyane Wade's rise into beast-mode and Pistons vs Pacers series. Incredible. I was sold on it.

Laker Legend42
07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
My first game was magic returning from a knee injury against the new jersey nets

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
The Pistons losing game 7 to the Lakers in 88... and they were missing one of their best players for that game... man, Detroit would have had three in a row if they'd been healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaAsmMGpWU

Hellcrooner
07-31-2012, 04:44 PM
The Pistons losing game 7 to the Lakers in 88... and they were missing one of their best players for that game... man, Detroit would have had three in a row if they'd been healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaAsmMGpWU
Except lakers had worhty ****ed up the second time around so they maybe would ahve only won 1-.

Angry Norwegian
07-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Kevin Garnett in his prime in Minny. And around the same time, the Knicks had Quentin Richardson chucking threes every 5 seconds. I easily would have been a Knicks fan if they weren't so embarassing for the duration of my upbringing.

shen
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
96 (I was 6) or 97 Blazers against Spurs, I had always casually glanced at games and liked playing basketball but that game was first time I really got excited. I got to stay up past my bedtime. First time I understood strategy in basketball. Next day I got up and turned on very first game I could find.

NoahH
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
1997 NBA Finals. Bulls vs. Jazz. I was cheering for Utah!

xk4
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
As far as watching basketball...1998 ECF game 4, Reggie hits the game winner and jumps around like a little girl. Pretty exciting

fadedmario
07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Isiah Thomas rookie season in Detroit.

Oldmantrash
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Growing up in Brooklyn, basketball was everywhere.
I've been paying since I was 6.

Indiana st. Vs. Michigan put it over the top for me, it's been my favorite sport ever since

Gritz
07-31-2012, 07:58 PM
The Decision