PDA

View Full Version : Dont roast me too hard...

majmarcus
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
But why dont players get credited for half an assist? All jokes aside, just look at the how sacks are recorded. When 2 players go in on the QB, their credited with half a sack. I think the NBA or maybe basketball in general should adopt this stat adjustment. For example:

If Nash hits Metta, then Metta immediately passes to Gasol & Gasol scores. Both Nash & Metta should be credited with a half assist instead of Metta getting an assist because Nash initiated the pass that lead to the basket. Metta played a part because he was the thread between Nash & Gasol.

Apparently, its just a thought. but I think its a good idea PLUS Im bored.

Any opposers of said suggestion???

GoPacers33
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I like the thought but stats don't really matter much. What really matter is if u win or not

Aust
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I'd be cool with that

mdm692
07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Good question. Would be interesting.

BALLER R
07-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I think they should record but not replace or add it with the existing assist category. Instead have another category for how many of those assist a player has. It would be nice to now actually.

Mave1002
07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
But why dont players get credited for half an assist? All jokes aside, just look at the how sacks are recorded. When 2 players go in on the QB, their credited with half a sack. I think the NBA or maybe basketball in general should adopt this stat adjustment. For example:

If Nash hits Metta, then Metta immediately passes to Gasol & Gasol scores. Both Nash & Metta should be credited with a half assist instead of Metta getting an assist because Nash initiated the pass that lead to the basket. Metta played a part because he was the thread between Nash & Gasol.

Apparently, its just a thought. but I think its a good idea PLUS Im bored.

Any opposers of said suggestion???

Dont roast me too hard...>

I wont man. Just half as hard. :rolleyes:

Losoway
07-30-2012, 10:22 PM
while you at it why dont they get like half a point or maybe even half a rebound

hugepatsfan
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't think your idea for awarding half assists is a good idea, but this is something that would be nice to quantify.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
What your talking about is called a hockey assist.

The game moves so fast it would be hard to track them but i do agree that they should be stat for it.

I think by keeping track of them players might be more inclined to move the ball which is never a bad thing.

spurs4#5
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Good thought...but your idea would work best if it was only put towards free throws...so lets say Nash passed to gasol in the lane and he went up and got fouled but missed...nash would then get half an assist for each free throw made

dtmagnet
07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
The guys at the stats table could never keep up, it works in hockey where theres only a few goals per game but it would not work in basketball.

dolfan2909
07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
What your talking about is called a hockey assist.

The game moves so fast it would be hard to track them but i do agree that they should be stat for it.

I think by keeping track of them players might be more inclined to move the ball which is never a bad thing.

Yes, the hockey assist! I remember Ricky Rubio getting a lot of criticism for his stats during the '10 worlds, and while he didn't play great, he did have a lot of hockey assists that don't show up in the stat sheets...

It's a stat that should definitely be kept track of and counted as a full assist in my opinion, not a half one as the TS suggested...Most plays don't have hockey assists, as not every pass leading to an assist counts...

The hockey assist occurs when a player passes to another open player giving him a good look at the basket, that open look then draws the defense hard at him to cover, rather than taking the open shot under pressure the player then passes to a teammate who was left open by the defenses quick close, basically making "the extra pass"...also this happens far more often in the international game than the NBA so it's pretty relevant topic during the olympics

NoahH
07-30-2012, 11:17 PM
ESPN or StatsCube or something did calculate 'hockey assist' leaders for the end of the year

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
yea^ i think it was rose at 1.9 per game. but i think that was the year before last

blastmasta26
07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Good thought...but your idea would work best if it was only put towards free throws...so lets say Nash passed to gasol in the lane and he went up and got fouled but missed...nash would then get half an assist for each free throw made

Yeah, half an assist for getting your teammate to the line should be put into place.

As for the OP, in that scenario Metta should get the full assist. There should be a separate stat for these "hockey assists" because a half assist would unfairly penalize the assisting player.

D_Rose1118
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/12/rose-leads-nba-in-hockey-assists/

bedford1829
07-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I often thought the same thing when watching great team passing

However my concern would be the standards that would have to be set to determine when or if a half assist should be awarded.

I think it would be hard to establish a baseline standard as to when two people merit half an assist each.

The only thing I could think of is...

***Players awarded with half an assist if two consecutive passes contribute to a made basket, if and only if both passes occur without a dribble in between the passes.

bedford1829
07-31-2012, 12:01 AM
If someone quotes me in their posts, can I get credit for half of a post? HAHAH

ChitownBears22
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
while you at it why dont they get like half a point or maybe even half a rebound

Logic please?

LaLa_Land
07-31-2012, 12:30 AM
The definition of an assist is that it is basically a pass that leads to a basket, without the scorer making an offensive move in the process.

With that in mind I can't tell you how many times Lebron, Kobe, Durant, etc get doubled or draw two defenders, and make a great pass to an open teammate who then just simply swings it around once more for a bucket. The recipient of the first pass, who then got credited for the assist, did nothing but act merely as a bridge linking the great original pass made by the guy drawing the double, to the outcome of a made bucket.

My hands are cramping, so I'll just go ahead and say yeah I believe that there should be half assists for sure. Also, there should definitely not be two separate categories for "assists" and "half assists"...should deff be pooled in one category.

majmarcus
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Logic please?
Thanks bro! Because I wasnt even going to attempt to dignify his senseless comment...

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
there is way too much going on to accurately record that imo. Unless they did it afterwards reviewing every assisted basket.

king4day
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I like the idea but for the 'hockey assist' the ball should be passed within a second or less of the initial pass.

8kobe24
07-31-2012, 02:01 PM
I just don't think it will be adopted simply because point guards would probably average 17+ assists per game and the stat would become less meaningful.

TEXASTITAN
07-31-2012, 02:03 PM
It's a useless stat to add in, in a sport where where most players are bangers or druggies they'd just get confused anyway.

D-Leethal
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I agree there should be some sort of 'hockey assist' but not really half assists. I mean when LeBron drives the lane, draws 3 defenders, kicks to the corner, corner swings it one more pass for a wide open J - LeBron did all the legwork and should get some sort of credit. The guy making the easy swing pass shouldn't get the credit for 'making the play'

MrFastBreak
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Its called good ball movement.

EDUTEXANS
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
I think it would be a better idea when a player gets fouled after a pass, sometimes we see great passes and the player can't finish because he gets fouled. But I don't think it would be such a great idea after so many years, players would have a lot more assists every game, they should create another stat for that.

BranWingss
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I like the idea but for the 'hockey assist' the ball should be passed within a second or less of the initial pass.

Agreed. There would have to be certain rules or something. With these extra assists though, you'd see some records smashe though.

NYKnicks4511
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
New stat: P2A. Pass-to-assist.

RLundi
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
It's a useless stat to add in, in a sport where where most players are bangers or druggies they'd just get confused anyway.

Excellent contribution to the discussion.

:clap:

Aust
07-31-2012, 06:09 PM

We're only talking about assists here guy. Stop it :no:

KnicksorBust
07-31-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it would be a better idea when a player gets fouled after a pass, sometimes we see great passes and the player can't finish because he gets fouled. But I don't think it would be such a great idea after so many years, players would have a lot more assists every game, they should create another stat for that.

I agree with this. If these type of stats are going to be changed there are two ways that would greatly improve their value:

1. Add a "super assist" where the basket is a dunk or layup. This would really show who is a great distributor.
2. Add a "fouls drawn" category. This can be for plays where the team you pass to goes to the FT line or if you get to the line yourself. I can virtually guarantee we'd see LeBron/Paul/Nash at the top of these lists.

yanksrock
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Interesting.

I don't think it will work.

ChongInc.
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Tip outs should be a half rebound.

Chronz
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Id rather have hockey assists than half assists. Teams track them, wish the NBA did.

King41
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
interesting have think about this 2 years ago but it would be to hard to make this happen
and who cares stats? triple double and loose or double double and win win > all

akesh99
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Not too big on the idea in all honestly.. what i do think should be implemented is an assist for passing to a player who draws a shooting foul. That could be a way to initiate the half assist movement and then expand to include your idea

Chronz
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
interesting have think about this 2 years ago but it would be to hard to make this happen
and who cares stats? triple double and loose or double double and win win > all

Yup thats why Elvin Hayes is better than Chuck/Karl Malone..... oh wait

b@llhog24
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Yup thats why Elvin Hayes is better than Chuck/Karl Malone..... oh wait

What's so funny about it is, he's a Dirk fan.

0nekhmer
08-02-2012, 12:28 AM
i remember reading something about this, how there was a way to track it, and apparently Jose Calderon is the best in the NBA at it.

DerekRE_3
08-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Don't roast me bro

nicegoing
08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
just leave things the way they are

Wade>You
08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Maybe not an official stat, but it'd be nice to track the guys who made the pass that led to an assist.

I blame advance stats for not tracking this. ;)