PDA

View Full Version : Which Team has the Highest Expectations Heading Into the 2012-13 Season?

Mile High Champ
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Before any one starts, I recognize it is likely he Miami Heat team due to the fact that they just won a title and have the leagues undisputed best player. This is why I did not include them in the the poll. But, what other team do you feel has the highest expectations heading into next year? Based on what has transpired in the off-season, which team do you feel has the highest expectations of the fan base when it comes to taking it to the next level?

For example. While OKC may be expected to compete for the title next year. Is there higher expectations of the Knicks if their fans believe they will be contending in the east?

Here are some possible choices.

Is it Boston reloading for one last run with KG, Pierce and co?
Is it OKC after coming up short in winning the title this past year?
What about the Lakers after getting Nash?

Is it one of these teams or perhaps another. Make your case and support it!

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
since miami wasn;t there i chose the knicks. if they dont have home court in the first round it would be really embarrassing.

seikou8
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
since miami wasn;t there i chose the knicks. if they dont have home court in the first round it would be really embarrassing.

your right melo is faliure if they dont

lamzoka
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
how about them ******** nets. i mean the brooklyn nets.

Mile High Champ
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I did not include the Heat as they are the cop out answer.

smith&wesson
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Knicks because they are the only ones that have yet to prove they are an elite team.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I did not include the Heat as they are the cop out answer.

Ok, question should have been"other than miami, which team has the highest expectations"

Knicks. I don't think their pieces fit and for a second str8 season their fans are hyping them up.

DLCK
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Id say Thunder have the most expectations. Even with how much better the Lakers clippers have gotten and how good Spurs are going to remain.Even with no improvements everyone is still picking the Thunder to be even better or be the team that comes out the west. So ill pick the Thunder with the biggest expectations.

Blitzbolt
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Knicks are irrevelant.

LAL.

Iron24th
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Thunder should have the biggest expectations, coming from a loss in the NBA Finals, you can't expect nothing but to be NBA Champion the following year.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Knicks are irrevelant.

LAL.

So irrelevant, that you had to comment about it?

You don't see me sayin...

"Charlotte Bobcats. OKC."

Mile High Champ
07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Thunder should have the biggest expectations, coming from a loss in the NBA Finals, you can't expect nothing but to be NBA Champion the following year.

Hard to argue with that. Though what about your Lakers. They picked up one of the leagues best PG's and added him to a strong core of Bynum, Gasol and Kobe. Is it title or bust now with the addition of Nash?

koetravis
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Knicks. They might have gotten worse this off season.

MELO7NYK/DENfan
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I think the Knicks, they built a a pretty good bench and got Felton and Kidd to help compliment Amare, melo and Chandler to space the floor, but one thing we dont have is more solid shooter....

Utd7
07-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Knicks. New Yorkers are impatient, my condolences to Melo if the Knicks get eliminated in the early rounds again in the playoffs.

Iron24th
07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Hard to argue with that. Though what about your Lakers. They picked up one of the leagues best PG's and added him to a strong core of Bynum, Gasol and Kobe. Is it title or bust now with the addition of Nash?

No doubt, Lakers have high expectations but Thunder have higher ones.

People see Thunder getting back to the NBA Finals.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Knicks. They might have gotten worse this off season.
lol, that would be something...im not sure they can be worse than last year(7th seed, out in 5 in the first round)

but if they dont have home court or advance past the first round it could be ugly.

I think the Knicks, they built a a pretty good bench and got Felton and Kidd to help compliment Amare, melo and Chandler to space the floor, but one thing we dont have is more solid shooter....

How does chandler help space the floor?

Hawkeye15
07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Thunder. They have made the right steps in progression, the only thing acceptable now is a championship. Factor in that they may be staring straight at very difficult contract decisions, and this MIGHT be the last season we see a Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka core, and they have to be all in this season.

As a toss in, my Wolves have a lot of pressure to make the playoffs, or Kahn loses his job, and Love gets even more frustrated.

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Why aren't the Pacers on this list. I have VERY high expectations for that roster. Anything less than a finals appearance is underachieving for them if you ask me.

GoPacers33
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Heat or Knicks

GoPacers33
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Why aren't the Pacers on this list. I have VERY high expectations for that roster. Anything less than a finals appearance is underachieving for them if you ask me.

I have high expectations to but a finals appearance is a lot. At the least I want to see them in the ECF

MELO7NYK/DENfan
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
lol, that would be something...im not sure they can be worse than last year(7th seed, out in 5 in the first round)

but if they dont have home court or advance past the first round it could be ugly.

How does chandler help space the floor?

I was saying see if felton and kidd can help space the floor for amare and tyson cause last season we didnt have the point Gs to do that.

Mile High Champ
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Thunder. They have made the right steps in progression, the only thing acceptable now is a championship. Factor in that they may be staring straight at very difficult contract decisions, and this MIGHT be the last season we see a Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Ibaka core, and they have to be all in this season.

As a toss in, my Wolves have a lot of pressure to make the playoffs, or Kahn loses his job, and Love gets even more frustrated.

Great explanation. As you said, could be the last chance for this Thunder core to redeem themselves for their finals showing.

I also like that you brought up the Wolves. With the recent moves they have made, it seems like the Wolves have to make the playoffs or Kevin Love could be demanding out. I wonder what Brandon Roy could contribute this year to the Wolves with no cartilage in his knees.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Great explanation. As you said, could be the last chance for this Thunder core to redeem themselves for their finals showing.

I also like that you brought up the Wolves. With the recent moves they have made, it seems like the Wolves have to make the playoffs or Kevin Love could be demanding out. I wonder what Brandon Roy could contribute this year to the Wolves with no cartilage in his knees.

Well, he can't demand anything for a few years, but it won't help the cause longterm. The season hinges on our players staying healthy, Rubio being back to 100% by Christmas as the latest, and our bench playing better. Our starting lineup should be Rubio-Roy-Kirilenko-Love-Pekovic. If healthy, even if Roy can only play 65 games at 70% of what he was, that starting lineup is a playoff lineup if the bench can do anything. Hoping Barea, Ridnour, Budinger, Stiemsma, and Williams all stay healthy and contribute. Shved is a wildcard too. He looked great against England yesterday, but that was against England. That being said, Deng was guarding him much of the game, and he was able to blow right by him at will.

Spiderman 1nner
07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Well if your asking from their fan base.. then definitely the Knicks because everyone thinks this team is as deep as any and melo can take em to the promise land when in actuality there's just too many strong personalities for the team to mesh. If your asking from the stand point of an objective rational basketball fan, its the thunder because most thought they'd win this past year and everyone seems to be blaming their youth and inexperience for the reason they lost and think this upcoming year is kd's year to work on his game and gain redemption like lebron just did, not to mention they mite have to break up their nucleus with both ibaka and hardens impending free agency.

Slimsim
07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Nyk

STL Don
07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Miami in the East followed by Brooklyn and NY.
Lakers and Thunder out West.

DLCK
07-30-2012, 08:16 PM

I guess you havent been reading in the Nba Forum. Its common Knowledge around there no matter with or with out Dwight Howard we are not good enough to beat the Thunder let alone the heat.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Gotta be Lakers or Thunder. If the Knicks make it to the 2nd round or ECF, that'd be considered a step in the right direction. That'd be a failure for the Thunder. I'm throwing the Lakers in there as an equal because with Steve Nash they're not going to get a better chance. Kobe has declined whether his raw stats back it up or not. That window is small before they have to re-tool.

Dade County
07-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Maybe the Clippers...

They put together a very nice team on paper, and if they get swept in the 2nd rd again; then all the Cp3 talks will begin ( especially if Howard is traded to another team not named Lakers or Nets ).

b@llhog24
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
The Thunder team doesn't have high expectations. Durant could get kicked out in the first round and i wouldn't matter. Dude gets a pass for just about everything.

njnets
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I gotta go lakers. Obviously everyone is going for the title but their window is the smallest. They are going all in. Nash acquisition would be irrelevant if they don't win soon.

Thunder are second for me bc of harden/ibaka contract situation. Nobody knows who will be back after this year.

Celtics have all of there guys under contract for the year after so not as much.

Knicks need to make progress in playoffs first. Win a round or two this year and then leap forward with the momentum the year after.

I don't see BK with a lot of pressure since there were many transactions. Then again tho, a lot of hype plus the move might make the pressure build up for instant success.

That's my opinion on this topic.

Chavacano
07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Thunder.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
The Thunder team doesn't have high expectations. Durant could get kicked out in the first round and i wouldn't matter. Dude gets a pass for just about everything.

thunder def have high expectations, that also have a fairly large window..

Mile High Champ
07-31-2012, 01:15 AM
thunder def have high expectations, that also have a fairly large window..

Not with their current core.. Its going to be broken up. They can't afford to keep it.

flatbush knicks
07-31-2012, 01:48 AM
knicks hands down

flatbush knicks
07-31-2012, 01:51 AM
I gotta go lakers. Obviously everyone is going for the title but their window is the smallest. They are going all in. Nash acquisition would be irrelevant if they don't win soon.

Thunder are second for me bc of harden/ibaka contract situation. Nobody knows who will be back after this year.

Celtics have all of there guys under contract for the year after so not as much.

Knicks need to make progress in playoffs first. Win a round or two this year and then leap forward with the momentum the year after.

I don't see BK with a lot of pressure since there were many transactions. Then again tho, a lot of hype plus the move might make the pressure build up for instant success.

That's my opinion on this topic.
lmao the knicks are the deepest team in the league next year i can see us atleast going to the ecf anything else is a failure

8kobe24
07-31-2012, 01:51 AM
With the addition of Nash, the Lakers are looking to retake the throne. Every year, its win or bust for the Lakers...We don't get content by winning a few playoff games/series or the conference.

Baller1
07-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Miami, OKC, and LAL.

naps
07-31-2012, 02:04 AM

So your EAST favorite is Indiana then? That's what it your statement means. You wanna stay consistent or flip-flop?

naps
07-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Well, he can't demand anything for a few years, but it won't help the cause longterm. The season hinges on our players staying healthy, Rubio being back to 100% by Christmas as the latest, and our bench playing better. Our starting lineup should be Rubio-Roy-Kirilenko-Love-Pekovic. If healthy, even if Roy can only play 65 games at 70% of what he was, that starting lineup is a playoff lineup if the bench can do anything. Hoping Barea, Ridnour, Budinger, Stiemsma, and Williams all stay healthy and contribute. Shved is a wildcard too. He looked great against England yesterday, but that was against England. That being said, Deng was guarding him much of the game, and he was able to blow right by him at will.

Roy starting? I will be really surprised if he starts.

And it looks like (on paper) Wolves lack a dominant perimeter scorer (I certainly don't expect Roy to be that scorer, at least not until I see him on the floor for a handful number of games).

naps
07-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Miami without a doubt.

OKC is a distant second. Then Celtics and Lakers.

Aust
07-31-2012, 02:16 AM
Thunder and Knicks

mdm692
07-31-2012, 02:17 AM
The Knicks have the highest expectations. It's the Mecca of the world. They always expect high. Even when they were irrelevant they had high expectations. This team has been hyping itself and it's fans since they signed Amare. They added Melo so everybody started to believe. The last 2 playoffs though, the Knicks have exited in the 1st round. Everybody whether they like them or hate them are waiting to see if the Knicks "super team" will bring the same result as the Heat's "big 3". They don't necessarily have to win it all but at the least they should be in the 2nd round.

BURAKOBE
07-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Miami without a doubt.

OKC is a distant second. Then Celtics and Lakers.

Do you ever read OP or randomly come post padding? The guy made it clear outside of the Heat. Jeez you guys are something else.

knickfan33
07-31-2012, 06:01 AM
definetly knicks and lakers... and whatever team dwight ends up on, immeadeatly jumps to the top.

StarvingKnick22
07-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Definitely the knicks. Failure isn't an option.

bigsams50
07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
Bobcats. 10 Wins. Lets get it :cool:

theheatles
07-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Lakers. Lakers are always championship or bust, OKC is just too young, and the Knicks just won their 1st playoff game in 11 years, they have minimum expectations, it's just their fans are all boosters

Evolution23
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Knicks have to make it to the ECF or atleast take the conference semi finals to 7 games.

mjm07
07-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Its the HEAT mainly b/c of what they set out to do and that is to win multiple championships and build a dynasty.

But aside from the HEAT,

1. OKC
2. Lakers
3. Celtics
4. Spurs
5. Knicks

Mile High Champ
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I find it somewhat interesting that so many posters have the Thunder over the Lakers. Yes the Thunder are a great choice but with the addition of Nash and Jamison in LA, it seems like the Lakers have set themselves up for title or bust.

THE MTL
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the Celtics have high expectations. Everyone is looking at a great playoff run and think the celtics have wound back the clock as well as them reloading the roster with green, bradley, terry, etc. The celtics could very well look like that old team they were during the 1s half of the season.

Only knick fans have the knicks as contenders while everyone has celtics down as one.

naps
07-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Do you ever read OP or randomly come post padding? The guy made it clear outside of the Heat. Jeez you guys are something else.

The poll question just was not worded right. It didn't say besides Miami.

How was I padding post when everything I said was on topic while you quoted me to say nothing regarding the thread question or the thread topic. But hey I see why you are pissed. Don't worry. Irrelevance ain't a bad thing for next decade.

Jarvo
07-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Whoever lands Dwight so Lakers or Nets.

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Roy starting? I will be really surprised if he starts.

And it looks like (on paper) Wolves lack a dominant perimeter scorer (I certainly don't expect Roy to be that scorer, at least not until I see him on the floor for a handful number of games).

Wes Johnson, Michael Beasley, Martel Webster, Luke Ridnour, Wayne Ellington. Out. Roy, Kirilenko, Budinger, Shved. In.

If the Wolves would have been butt reaming average on the wings last year, we would have been so much better. Now we are butt reaming average.

Faberg
07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
It's the New York Knicks.

Got Amar'e in 2010. Took a step back in the short term when the whole roster was traded for Carmelo in 2011. Amnestied the only PG at the time to picked up Tyson Chandler.

The reason for high expectations is because they don't have any more excuses to fall back on if they underperform. Got the coach they wanted. Got better on defense. Got a full training camp. Got a deep bench. A full 82-game season.

JordansBulls
08-01-2012, 09:31 AM
OKC/Miami/LAL

BobbyHillSwag
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
if knicks dont atleast make it to the second round this year im positive they wont ever.

SteBO
08-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Given how the national media works, I'd say the Thunder first, Knicks second.

Miami just took away their biggest storyline by winning the title, and they like to challenge the next star in line, in this case is Kevin Durant, who went to the Finals last year at such a young age. I also feel like Westbrook will once again fall victim to mindless criticism if they don't win soon, despite the stats that back up the fact that the way he plays is what puts makes OKC lethal.

The only reason the Knicks have expectations is because of their fan base in general. We've heard about injuries, lack of a training camp, and coaching issues. Injuries happen, but they have the coach they want and they're going to have a normal training camp. I believe this is as close to a final gasp for the Knicks' core as there can be. Melo and Amare need to prove they're worthy of top tier elite status. Based on what I've seen from Melo in the olympics so far though, I think he'll be making a lot of noise this upcoming season.

Piercefan34
08-01-2012, 10:21 AM
lmao the knicks are the deepest team in the league next year i can see us atleast going to the ecf anything else is a failure

wait lol did everyone miss this? deepest in the league? absolutely not, im sorry nothing against the knicks they just are not hah