PDA

View Full Version : Who has done more for the Lakers Franchise: Magic Johnson or Kobe Bryant

JordansBulls
07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Not who the better player was/is but who has done more for the Lakers Franchise/Organization?

Basically if the Lakers Franchise only had one Statue, who should it be of?

D12 fan
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Kobe

Pistol_Pete
Magic. Magic may be the Laker if you had to pick one player to represent an organization. Yes, over Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Baylor, Kobe, and everyone else. Magic is the Lakers.

I don't even think there needs to be a further explanation. If you need it explained, you won't be swayed.

Longhornfan1234
Magic...and it's not even close.

RLundi
07-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Jerry West.

koreancabbage
07-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Kobe. He's done pretty well for himself and has been the face of the franchise since that trade that got him to the Lakers. From the bench to the starter to NBA champion.

I think he'll be even more loved once time passes. At the time, when Jordan starting winning those chips', noone really considered Jordan the greatest of all time. Took a couple of years for it to settle.

D12 fan
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Jerry West.

:punish:Im not suprised.

mjm07
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM

this. /thread

AKA TheMamba
07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
as the poll stands 6 people with basketball knowledge beyond the 90's and 1 youngin' haha

D_Rose1118
07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Kobe. He's done pretty well for himself and has been the face of the franchise since that trade that got him to the Lakers. From the bench to the starter to NBA champion.

I think he'll be even more loved once time passes. At the time, when Jordan starting winning those chips', noone really considered Jordan the greatest of all time. Took a couple of years for it to settle.

False watch some games from 1992, i think even magic was saying how he was the greatest of all time already, during the 1992 finals against the blazers

plus the statue outside the united center says the greatest of all time, and that was made in 1994, when he still had 3 championships to win still

king4day
07-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Magic seemed to catapult the Lakers to the relavency they have today. Kobe has helped sustain it.

I'll go with Magic.

Dade County

this...

Shaq won those 3 finals MVP's ...

Kobe has his two rings with Gasol and Bynum ( Bynum one of those years was not healthy )

Kobe is just a very good player... He doesn't transcend anything.

If you place Wade or Lbj instead of Kobe in those years that Shaq was going to the finals ( four straight )... Wade or Lbj ( and even many others sg/sf that was talented in that early 2000's era ) they would have gotten 3 rings too.

Wade is lucky to have had Pat as a Coach/GM ... You need people at the top to have a chance to win a ring... The lakers traded for Kobe and put the right pieces around that team and then they had to get Phil Jackson.

Even asking this question is crazy... Magic Johnson crushes Kobe in this debate.

Chavacano
Let's wait 'til Kobe's career is over.

RLundi
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
:punish:Im not suprised.

I'm not surprised you spelled 'surprise' wrong.

Dade County
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Let's wait 'til Kobe's career is over.

Are you going to try to judge Kobe by how many rings he ends with? Because I really don't see him getting anymore... His time is done.

I could be wrong.

Kobe2324
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I really struggled with this answer, either answer is a good one for sure. I chose Kobe, not because he is my fav player but because I think he is and will be known as the best Laker of all time and really the only player in the same breath as jordan. Magic as a amazing as he was you could never compare to Jordan's greatness. So as a Laker the answer is Kobe, but if you say for basketball in general or even more so off the court without a doubt Magic, but that's just my opinion, and like I said their is no wrong answer here.

asandhu23
George Mikan.

dh144498
this...

Kobe has his two rings with Gasol and Bynum ( Bynum one of those years was not healthy )

If you place Wade or Lbj instead of Kobe in those years that Shaq was going to the finals ( four straight )... Wade or Lbj ( and even many others sg/sf that was talented in that early 2000's era ) they would have gotten 3 rings too.

Wade is lucky to have had Pat as a Coach/GM ... You need people at the top to have a chance to win a ring... The lakers traded for Kobe and put the right pieces around that team and then they had to get Phil Jackson.

Even asking this question is crazy... Magic Johnson crushes Kobe in this debate.

I don't see how anything you just said supports the question of the thread. I don't see why Shaq Lebron and wade have to do with the question. I think you just came here to bash on Kobe with irrelevancy.

Kobe2324
07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Are you going to try to judge Kobe by how many rings he ends with? Because I really don't see him getting anymore... His time is done.

I could be wrong.

you do realize that if we get dwight howard miami isn't winning a tilte till Kobe retires because the Lakers will win the next three lol.

Chacarron
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
The Magic Man.

LakersIn5
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Magic seemed to catapult the Lakers to the relavency they have today. Kobe has helped sustain it.

I'll go with Magic.

well duh. magic came firdst.

NYY 26 to 7
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
The lakers were a team that won but was haunted by the greatness of the celtics and could never get out from under that shadow. Magic lifted them out of that an made the lakers the great show and franchise that they are now. Kobe rode Shaqs coat tails to championships then grew into the great player. Magic took over when jabar went down with one of the greatest finals performances ever in route to finals MVP as a rookie. The guy lifted the franchise into showtime. Sorry but Kobe can't get above magic in lakers importance. If for nothing else because Kobe was never in the position to lift the franchise out from the celtics shadow.

D_Rose1118
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM

False watch some games from 1992, i think even magic was saying how he was the greatest of all time already, during the 1992 finals against the blazers

plus the statue outside the united center says the greatest of all time, and that was made in 1994, when he still had 3 championships to win

Lakers4ItAll
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I would say Magic at this point, but Kobe's career isn't over yet. Also Kobe is a global icon and Magic wasn't, that there alone could play a huge part into what Kobe does for the organization.

Lakerhead4ever
07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
magic by far has done more for the lakers. on and off the court.

but KObe is the better player. i dare someone to challenge me

kdspurman
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I would say Magic at this point, but Kobe's career isn't over yet. Also Kobe is a global icon and Magic wasn't, that there alone could play a huge part into what Kobe does for the organization.

The media has changed so much and make things much bigger than years ago. But regardless, I think it's hard to say Magic wasn't.

Not to mention, Kobe being a global icon doesn't have much to do with what he does for the Lakers franchise except for bringing in fans, $, which I don't think Magic had any trouble doing.

smith&wesson
07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
ill say magic now.

but if kobe wins another ring for the franchise ill have to go with him.

Utd7
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Magic obviously

Antipod
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Magic. He has done a lot more off the field than Kobe did.

fresh prince
07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Magic not only has done more for the LAkers but he along with Larry Bird helped saved the game of basketball.

It's not even fair to compare Kobe's achievements to Magic.

Its like saying who has done more for race relations MLK or Barack Obama. Just like MLK Magic is the reason why what Kobe is doing is even possible.

LA_Raiders
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Magic so far. Kobe once he retires...

Bravo95
07-30-2012, 02:28 PM

I'll go with Magic.
I'll agree with this.

Anyone trying to diminish what Bryant has accomplished by using the "2nd fiddle to Shaq" argument is an idiot though.

UPRock
07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Magic and that's it, Magic will always be the best Laker of all time.

dAngelo
07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
I really struggled with this answer, either answer is a good one for sure. I chose Kobe, not because he is my fav player but because I think he is and will be known as the best Laker of all time and really the only player in the same breath as jordan. Magic as a amazing as he was you could never compare to Jordan's greatness. So as a Laker the answer is Kobe, but if you say for basketball in general or even more so off the court without a doubt Magic, but that's just my opinion, and like I said their is no wrong answer here.

You can only compare Kobe to MJ because they both played SG and because of their playing style. Kobe emulated MJ. The comparison ends there. Kobe is not in the same breathe as MJ. Sure, he is the second best SG of all time but that does not mean the gap between the two, in terms of overall talent and achievement, is small.

At this point in time, Magic has done more for the Lakers franchise. He gave them 5 championships and has been involved with them even after his playing career. He was also the face of the franchise during the 80's and was part of the greatest rivalry in NBA history versus the Celtics that helped the league become more popular.

This question is a bit unfair to Kobe because he is still an active player so Magic's post retirement resume automatically puts him at a disadvantage. Let's wait until Kobe retires and see if he is still a part of the franchise then.

Kobe also has 5 championships and has been the face of the franchise for at least a decade now but Magic's involvement with the Lakers even after his playing days puts him ahead.

GoPacers33
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
magic...and it's not even close.

x1000

mdm692
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Hate much? Stupid Heat fan :facepalm:

lol ask him about LBJ and he will tell you G.O.A.T.

mdm692
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
If Kobe ends up #1 in the NBA all-time scoring list and wins at least 1 more ring, I would make it 2 to be sure, then I could see him being the greatest Laker of all time.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
magic, easily

RaiderLakersA's
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Not who the better player was/is but who has done more for the Lakers Franchise/Organization?

If it had to be one statue, neither Magic nor Kobe would get it. Jerry West would.

But if it's only between Kobe and Magic, Magic will likely get it because he's been more than JUST a player for the Lakers. From player to coach to part owner, Magic's imprint is all over the organization.

One last point: Magic and Bird saved the NBA. Speak to anyone who knows anything about the sport and they'll say the same thing. In my mind, that means if you were building a Mount Rushmore of NBA players, Magic's mug would be up there for sure. Kobe? Not so much. (Yes, I know that he is one of the chief reasons why the NBA is much more of an internationally loved game, but that's not enough.) Nailing the point home, how could we put up Magic's visage on the Mount Rushmore of the NBA, yet not have him representing his own franchise?

I love Kobe (as a player), but the original MJ has this one easy.

MintBerryCrunch
07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Magic simply because he came first.

But Kobe is the best Laker of all time , IMO

Wade>You
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
It's Magic. I don't know how this is even debatable. People voting for Kobe are Kobe fans first, Laker fans second.

Magic so far. Kobe once he retires...How so?

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Magic now but Kobe when it's all said and done

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
It's Magic. I don't know how this is even debatable. People voting for Kobe are Kobe fans first, Laker fans second.

How so?

Why do u hate Kobe so much? Is it because he's still better then wade?

torocan
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
If your only choices are between those 2, then it's Magic.

Magic transcends Kobe in terms of what he did for the franchise as well as his impact on the game in general.

Magic-Bird is a rivalry that is still talked about today, and will go down as one of the major milestones in the growth of the Lakers and the NBA.

I'll leave debates over who was the better player for other threads.

Iron24th
07-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Magic.

But I pick Kobe.

Wade>You
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Why do u hate Kobe so much? Is it because he's still better then wade?Kobe fans --- the reason people don't like Kobe.

Keep hatin' brah.

Auseranami
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
The lakers have always been one of the most popular teams. George Mikan got them started, Baylor, west, and wilt kept them going, then magic, Kareem, worthy, and co continued the trend in the 80's. They took the 90's off and then brought in shaq and Kobe. After shaq was shipped off its been the Kobe show. Kobe gave them 5, magic have them 5. They've both done a lot for the franchise.

NYY 26 to 7
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Magic now but Kobe when it's all said and done

What's with all the people saying this for? Does Kobe have something people expect him to do as his career winds down. Even if he won 2 more titles it doesn't equal what magic did for the franchise and the game of basketball. People need to stop measure everything by rings. It's like people saying 1 more ring and Kobe is on Jordan's level - he is nowhere near Jordan's level. I'm not a Kobe hater and enjoy watching him I like his competitive fire and is obviously a great player but has to be one of the most overrated in terms of his legacy. For those on here who didn't watch magic or don't understand the history of the game this is disrespectful to magic. You want to debate who is better ok go ahead I would still take magic because of his size/ability at pg but I can easily understand a debate of who is better. But impact on the lakers, the game of bball, contributions off the court, and cultural impact (this was the first high profile realization that AIDS was not isolated to homosexuals and could effect anyone and really hit home with people) it's magic and not close.

Losoway
07-30-2012, 03:43 PM
so you mods close down anything nets - knicks related

but dumb threads like this stay open?

is this really a question?

Big Zo
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Magic. He and Larry Bird are what made the entire NBA relevant.

Recre8ter
07-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Magic

thedon01
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

not sure if this is a fair question because Magic has had longer time to impact the Lakers than Kobe has.

Jarvo
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
you do realize that if we get dwight howard miami isn't winning a tilte till Kobe retires because the Lakers will win the next three lol.

That's a big *** IF, And Lakers still have to comeout the west 1st. But anyway Magic

R cool J
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
this isnt even a valid question, last i checked Kobe is still playing the game whereas Magic has been retired since coming back in 96...who knows what kobe can be or will be...what if he after his career is a part time owner of the lakers or an even better executive than jerry west, shoot what if he becomes the nba commissioner...no one truly knows, only time will tell, until then this question is not significant.

alexander_37
07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Magic and it's not close. That was the pinnacle of basketball.

MintBerryCrunch
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Kobe fans --- the reason people don't like Kobe.

Keep hatin' brah.

Kobe's better than wade

StinkEye
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Magic, easily.

CB29
07-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Magic and Bird changed how the game was played and the intensity that people played the game so its not even close... Magic made the lakers poplar in basketball... He was the thriving force behind showtime so its a very clearcut answer

yanksrock
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Magic and I don't think it's close.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Magic and I don't think it's close.

It's not.

ThunderousDemon
07-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Keep hatin' brah.

That's the most ****ing stupid reason yet, to hate on Kobe.

Utd7
07-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Come to think of it, without Magic being with the Lakers in the first place, Kobe probably doesn't have the desire as a young player who idolized Magic to play for the Lakers and try to emulate his idol.

SportsFanatic10
07-30-2012, 04:47 PM

hahahaha dream on.

mdm692
07-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Keep hatin' brah.
No one is hating. It's a fact.

Kobe >>> Wade+You

Miami fans --- the reason people don't like the heat.

mamba24
07-30-2012, 04:52 PM

I could be wrong.

He could win another title. If Dwight ever ends up with the Lakers it would be a huge possibility. The truth is tho, even if Kobe gets another ring Magic is still the guy right now. He has had more time to represent the franchise. Let's see what Kobe does to represent the Lakers after his career is over.

SportsFanatic10
07-30-2012, 04:55 PM
No one is hating. It's a fact.

Kobe >>> Wade+You

Miami fans --- the reason people don't like the heat.

wade has clearly been better since 08 the stats prove it. time to give it up kobe can't stay on top forever, you fanboys are ridiculous.

mamba24
07-30-2012, 05:04 PM
What's with all the people saying this for? Does Kobe have something people expect him to do as his career winds down. Even if he won 2 more titles it doesn't equal what magic did for the franchise and the game of basketball. People need to stop measure everything by rings. It's like people saying 1 more ring and Kobe is on Jordan's level - he is nowhere near Jordan's level. I'm not a Kobe hater and enjoy watching him I like his competitive fire and is obviously a great player but has to be one of the most overrated in terms of his legacy. For those on here who didn't watch magic or don't understand the history of the game this is disrespectful to magic. You want to debate who is better ok go ahead I would still take magic because of his size/ability at pg but I can easily understand a debate of who is better. But impact on the lakers, the game of bball, contributions off the court, and cultural impact (this was the first high profile realization that AIDS was not isolated to homosexuals and could effect anyone and really hit home with people) it's magic and not close.

I get what you are saying. the problem tho is people not explaining why they think he will be greater later... i think right now magic is the greatest laker. in 30 years tho i think it will be kobe. the media and access to players on a global level is so much greater than it was during magic's era. i think there is a great opportunity to represent the lakers on a much bigger scale. that being said... we still have to wait and see what he does after he retires... you cant compare someone who has already solidified their legacy to someone who is still creating their own...

mamba24
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
wade has clearly been better since 08 the stats prove it. time to give it up kobe can't stay on top forever, you fanboys are ridiculous.

stats dont show everything... i would still say kobe was better thru the 09-10 championship. the last 2 seasons it's been wade easily...

MintBerryCrunch
07-30-2012, 05:15 PM

from a miami fan.. hmmmm :rolleyes:

Miami would still be champions without Wade.
Lakers would be not be who they are without Kobe

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
from a miami fan.. hmmmm :rolleyes:

Miami would still be champions without Wade.
Lakers would be not be who they are without Kobe

That has more to do with just how good the heat are.

Now lets see those advanced stats that say kobe is better than wade.

LAKERMANIA
07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Magic but only because he set the stone before Kobe..If Kobe played in the 80s with Kareem it would probably be Kobe..

Lakers + Giants
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Magic but only because he set the stone before Kobe..If Kobe played in the 80s with Kareem it would probably be Kobe..

This.

I voted MJ btw.

Dade County
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't see how anything you just said supports the question of the thread. I don't see why Shaq Lebron and wade have to do with the question. I think you just came here to bash on Kobe with irrelevancy.

Well I was trying to put out the fact of, how could the OP even bring up a question like this.

Magic (and bird) in the 80's uplifted basket to hight's that it had never seen before them.

Kobe hasn't done anything like that for the Lakers or basketball.. Kobe doesn't transcend the game; he's just a very good player. It was shaq that lifted those early 2000's laker teams through those finals... Wouldn't Kobe have to had be the main reason for the title victories in order for Kobe to even come close to Magic???????????

You are a Laker fan so I would expect you to feel that way... So you can take a wild guess how I feel if the HEAT do play L.A in the Finals :D

Wade>You
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Poll results: 77% Magic, 24% Kobe.

And I'm the one who's hating on Kobe?

77% = it's not even close.

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Magic... by a landslide. If anybody argues Kobe because of his rings, it's like this. Shaq won the first three. He was the leader of that team. He took more shots, he was a monster on the boards, and if you put any other center in the league in his place at the time, that team doesn't win one title.

Magic was the leader of that team, even with Kareem on it. In his rookie season he was the leader. That is how good Magic was. To join a team that had Kareem, who was perhaps the greatest player ever at that time, and take the leadership mantle from him as a rookie is a pretty big fawking deal. Magic WAS the showtime Lakers. He lead them to a title in his rookie season. Kobe was nowhere near doing that as a rookie. He lead them to the finals NINE TIMES!!! Kobe has got there four times with Shaq leading the way, and thrice with Gasol. That's seven total. He won the finals MVP as a rookie? He made players better. Kobe makes players worse. Gasol and Bynum would post far better numbers if they had Wade or James as teammates. Kobe is a black hole. If it wasn't for Phil Jackson Kobe would have any rings post-Shaq. Magic defined this team for a decade. He was the coach of this team. He was an owner. He's recruited players. Magic IS the Lakers.

Kobe has demanded trades. His behaviour lead to a rape charge which was a black eye on the team and on him. He ran Shaq out of town instead of working with him. He ran Malone out of town. He's just no where near what Magic was to this organization. He hogs the ball and doesn't let the big guys get enough touches. If Magic had entered his rookie season the year Kobe did instead of Kobe, he would have likely lead that team to titles before Phil Jackson even arrived. He would have developed a working relationship with Shaq and make the other players around them better. Kobe can never even hope to have the kind of impact on the floor that Magic had, nor could he hope to do as much for the Lakers franchise as Magic has done.

This isn't even a conversation worth having. Magic hands down, and anybody who says Kobe has no apperciation for the history of the game and for what Magic did for the game.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Kobe's better than wade

That has more to do with just how good the heat are.

Now lets see those advanced stats that say kobe is better than wade.

:whistle:

Dade County
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
The lakers have always been one of the most popular teams. George Mikan got them started, Baylor, west, and wilt kept them going, then magic, Kareem, worthy, and co continued the trend in the 80's. They took the 90's off and then brought in shaq and Kobe. After shaq was shipped off its been the Kobe show. Kobe gave them 5, magic have them 5. They've both done a lot for the franchise.

Kobe didn't give them 5 rings, Shaq gave them 3, kobe gave them 2 being the captain/main man of the team.

WTF is wrong with you people.

Give D wade or Lbj that same team that Kobe had win he won with out Shaq... Man Kobe is just a very good player... Some of you guys are taken this to far.

Magic blows Kobe away in what he did for the lakers.

ThunderousDemon
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Poll results: 77% Magic, 24% Kobe.

And I'm the one who's hating on Kobe?

77% = it's not even close.

Simply pathetic. :o

I picked Magic, but that doesn't mean I hate Kobe Bryant.

b@llhog24
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
When you think of the Lakers you think of Magic.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Kobe didn't give them 5 rings, Shaq gave them 3, kobe gave them 2 being the captain/main man of the team.

Give D wade or Lbj that same team that Kobe had win he won with out Shaq... Man Kobe is just a very good player... Some of you guys are taken this to far.

Kobe helped give them 5 just like magic helped.

Shaq played a bigger role in those 3 rings than kobe did imo.

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM

If you swapped eras for Magic and Kobe, here's what happens. Kobe chucks up a but of shots, and Kareem has him traded before his first season is out. Either that, or Kobe would run Kareem out of town and hog the ball so guys like Perkins, Green, Scott, Cooper wouldn't get enough shots to actually shoot the ball well.

Magic in place of Kobe, as I in my previous post, would have won a title with Shaq before Phil Jackson even got to the Lakers, and would have work WITH Shaq and won MORE titles than Kobe and Shaq won. And Shaq wouldn't have been run out of town like he was because of Kobe. Shaq and Magic would have won 10 titles in a row, and I am not even joking. Magic would have made all the role players better and would have gotten more out of Shaq than Kobe ever could.

Magic won the finals MVP as a rookie! Can you imagine what kind of impact he would have had for the Lakers in 97! Jordan would not have retired from the Bulls a champion. That's what would have happpened. And no team, Spurs included, would have been able to topple that combo of Magic and Shaq.

ThunderousDemon
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
When you think of the Lakers you think of Magic.

Speak for yourself.

Dade County
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Kobe helped give them 5 just like magic helped.

Shaq played a bigger role in those 3 rings than kobe did imo.

I am not saying that Kobe didn't help ( he helped a lot) but he was not the leader ... period.

But once again Kobe is a very good player and of course he was needed in those finals.

ThunderousDemon
07-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Isn't it redundant to put "imo" at the end of your statement, when not providing facts?

JasonJohnHorn
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Isn't it redundant to put "imo" at the end of your statement, when not providing facts?

lol... true... true..

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I am not saying that Kobe didn't help ( he helped a lot) but he was not the leader ... period.

But once again Kobe is a very good player and of course he was needed in those finals.

agree 100%

THE_LOGO
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
This thread = dream team vs every other "dream" team after. The younger crowd says Kobe while the older crowd says Magic. For you young folks, have some respect. For these two, its clearly Magic. Now if you go back and ask if its Magic or West. I cannot comment because I never saw West play. As great as I hear West was, I cannot get a feel for it no matter how many old games I watch. But I see the anguish in his face when they show him by the tunnel and the Lakers are losing. And that's bonus points for me, that he cares about the Lakers as much as a fan like me does and not just because he's the GM.

I've watched both Magic and Kobe and its not even a comparison. Forget the off the court stuff, what they've done to the community and just compare their play. Its Magic hands down.

DCLAFAN
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Magic. Magic may be the Laker if you had to pick one player to represent an organization. Yes, over Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Baylor, Kobe, and everyone else. Magic is the Lakers.

I don't even think there needs to be a further explanation. If you need it explained, you won't be swayed.

:clap:

Magic= L.A.'s King

Kobe= L.A.'s Prince

I am a huge Kobe fan, don't get me wrong. But Magic has done so much and means so much to the entire city of L.A. not just the Lakers franchise. He continues to contribute even after his playing career, his involvement. Not only that, look at what he has done for us with the Dodgers as well!!! He is L.A.'s ALL TIME KING. Not to mention the same amount of rings that Kobe has!!! But, Kobe will end up bringing us more championships than Magic did, once it's said and done!!!!

macc
07-30-2012, 06:29 PM
I would say Magic and say that pretty confidently. Magic Johnson is what made the Lakers "Showtime." Magic was unlike anyone else before him so his uniquness and style helped define the Lakers. As great as Kobe was, he was basically a wannabe Jordan, not trying to diss him. He was great and considered the best in the league. It's just that Magic was unique. Kobe was not.

So the answere is pretty easy for me in saying Magic.

GREATNESS ONE
07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Right now Magic. When it's all said and done Kobe.

naps
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
This can't be a serious question! A thread of Magic vs Jerry West would be much more close. When I think of the Lakers I think of West and Magic first and foremost. No one is remotely close to these two guys as for who's done more for the Lakers.

Sssmush
07-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Kobe

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Magic has done more for the Lakers, & is the better player as well

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
This can't be a serious question! A thread of Magic vs Jerry West would be much more close. When I think of the Lakers I think of West and Magic first and foremost. No one is remotely close to these two guys as for who's done more for the Lakers.

seriously, if Jerry West hadn't given away Pau Gasol for a pack of tic tacs & a back stage pass to a Kool Moe Dee concert, Kobe would still have just the 3 2nd fiddle Shaq titles. he owes Jerry West bigtime cause that trade was as crooked as it gets. made 0 sense whatsoever

Hellcrooner
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Jerry West.

The mind behind the showtime, the man behind the shaq and kobe era the man that put Gasol into a lakers uniform.

But between those two, magic took a franchise that had won just 1 ring since movint to l.A into the lakers we all know nowdays, kobe just kept the machine running.

C-Style
07-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Team: Kobe
Local: Magic
Global: Kobe
Sport: Magic

BTW **** da so called heat fans and the irrelevant teams like the Knicks. Also this belongs on comparison thread. Irrelevant opinions

C-Style
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Kobe has done more for the Lakers than Lebron and Wade have done for the heat put together.

C-Style
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Kobe has done more for the Lakers than Lebron and Wade have ever done for the heat put together.

_KB24_
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
If you swapped eras for Magic and Kobe, here's what happens. Kobe chucks up a but of shots, and Kareem has him traded before his first season is out. Either that, or Kobe would run Kareem out of town and hog the ball so guys like Perkins, Green, Scott, Cooper wouldn't get enough shots to actually shoot the ball well.

Magic in place of Kobe, as I in my previous post, would have won a title with Shaq before Phil Jackson even got to the Lakers, and would have work WITH Shaq and won MORE titles than Kobe and Shaq won. And Shaq wouldn't have been run out of town like he was because of Kobe. Shaq and Magic would have won 10 titles in a row, and I am not even joking. Magic would have made all the role players better and would have gotten more out of Shaq than Kobe ever could.

Magic won the finals MVP as a rookie! Can you imagine what kind of impact he would have had for the Lakers in 97! Jordan would not have retired from the Bulls a champion. That's what would have happpened. And no team, Spurs included, would have been able to topple that combo of Magic and Shaq.

Magic and Shaq!? :laugh2:

b@llhog24
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Speak for yourself.

I am. :confused:

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Kobe has done more for the Lakers than Lebron and Wade have ever done for the heat put together.

What has kobe done when he didn't have any other all stars on his team?

Vinylman
07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
First... Who cares...

Second... Obviously Magic

but again, who cares...

what matters is that the two combined for 10 chips so far... and chips is all any real laker fan cares about

C-Style
07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
What has kobe done when he didn't have any other all stars on his team?

What has Lebron & Wade done without each other or Shaq?

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
What has Lebron & Wade done without each other or Shaq?

Same thing as kobe has done without other all stars. Nothing.

C-Style
07-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Same thing as kobe has done without other all stars. Nothing.

He's gotten more All NBA teams than Wade and Lebron as Heat, more all-stars and probably even score more points. tied at MVP's

C-Style
07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't be throwing stones if u live in a glass house

rockbottom2010
07-30-2012, 08:34 PM

nuff said...close this thread.....if anything...it should be west or magic...or abdul jabbar,shaq or chamberlain...but to whom it may concern...this is a no brainer

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
He's gotten more All NBA teams than Wade and Lebron as Heat, more all-stars and probably even score more points. tied at MVP's

Cool. I dont care much about those things.

Lebron will finish his career with more Finals MVP's than kobe.

C-Style
07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Cool. I dont care much about those things.

Lebron will finish his career with more Finals MVP's than kobe.

hahaa right, pick n choose right? Kobe will win at least 2 more Finals MVP So good look with that!

See I guess we can all read the future too.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
hahaa right, pick n choose right? Kobe will win at least 2 more Finals MVP So good look with that!

See I guess we can all read the future too.

:laugh:

:drunk:

C-Style
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
5 Rings 2 Finals MVP vs. 3 rings 2 Finals MVP(combined)

you mad?

Odominator
07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
I just look at one thing, and that is Magic was always proud to be a Laker. Never asked to be traded. Kobe did.

So I picked Magic.

justinnum1
07-30-2012, 08:50 PM

you mad?

Not at all. Kobe is an all time great. He has also played 6 more seasons than lebron and wade. We can come back to this when their careers are over and i think it will look a lot different(not so much for kobe).

As for right now, its a no brainer who is better. Both wade and lebron are better, and their are several advanced stats that back that up.

Dade County
07-30-2012, 08:54 PM

you mad?

You are ridicules right now... Look how long Kobe has been in the league compared to Wade & Lbj..smh

And Kobe had Shaq in his prime, how dare you compare the Shaq that was on the HEAT to the one that was in L.A :punish:

Let me tell you this... If Wade was on that laker team instead of Kobe they would have had more rings,... Wade would not have ran shaq off, and he would not have kept throwing up shots in that Detroit series.

Kobe is just a very good player, he does not transcend anything; like Magic did.

C-Style
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
You are ridicules right now... Look how long Kobe has been in the league compared to Wade & Lbj..smh

And Kobe had Shaq in his prime, how dare you compare the Shaq that was on the HEAT to the one that was in L.A :punish:

Let me tell you this... If Wade was on that laker team instead of Kobe they would have had more rings,... Wade would not have ran shaq off, and he would not have kept throwing up shots in that Detroit series.

Kobe is just a very good player, he does not transcend anything; like Magic did.

Wade Bosh & Lebron have each other in their prime so I guess is all good. BTTW Shaq carried that team all the way to the Finals. he was more dominant than freaking Gasol

C-Style
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Done trolling the trolls, peace

Kobes a Killer
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
this...

I'm so sick of this ****ing argument. First of all Shaq was in his prime Kobe wasn't... 2nd of all if Kobe was playing with Garnett or Duncan or Hakeem or any ****ing all star C they still would have won 3 rings. Take that replace Kobe blah blah with blah blah argument and stick it right up your ***.

Those games during the 3peat playoffs where Kobe was catching fire and keeping the Lakers in games, Shaq couldn't of done that when he was getting doubled and tripled. Kobe needed Shaq, Shaq needed Kobe

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Kobe is just a very good player, he does not transcend anything; like Magic did.that 2004 finals, my god what an A#$ Kobe made of himself, shooting ridiculous fadeaway hero shots with Prince all over him, brickin up a storm, refusing to give Shaquille the ball(the 1 guy that was dominating the Pistons). the Pistons D shut Kobe down. it was like Kobe said, "i'm getting finals mvp or i'll shoot us right out of a title, no way i let Shaquille get another". and he did just that, 37%FG22ppg. shot way more shots than Shaquille, yet SHAQ still avg 26ppg & shot60%FG. imagine if Kobe got SHAQ the ball more, & got him up to 33ppg or more, & Kobe only taking really good looks, might have went 7 & LA won. i dunno why Lakers fans give him a pass for that abomination of a selfish act in the finals, & cost them a ring. also 2000 he was outplayed by reggie miller(no real shame in that)jalen rose, & austin freaking croushere. 15 ppg, 36%FG. man Shaquille basically did that one alone. alot of SGs could have put up better numbers than that garbage to help O'Neal. jeeeesh

Chavacano
07-30-2012, 09:55 PM

I could be wrong.

Which is why it's best to wait 'til Kobe's career is over.

And it's not just all about the rings, it's about the career achievements and milestones he'll further accomplish in the next 2 guaranteed seasons he'll play.

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 10:02 PM
but those milestones were giftwrapped to him by Michael Jordan, who absolutely 100% conceded the all time points mark by retiring twice, & probably 2 or 3 rings. Michael wasn't chasing milestones, but everyone knows those things were his by a huge margin if he wanted them, so Kobe getting more total points by playing way more games is kinda irrelevant, i mean Karl Malone scored way more total points than Michael as well, because Michael didn't chase that stuff

he settled for 6 titles, but it certainly wasn't his max out number. he had mercy & retired twice & never defended either 3 peat. i think had he known this weasel Kobe would run around acting like if he gets 6 or 7 he's the baddest ever(when 3 are Shaquille's work), he wouldn't have retired & would have won 8 or 9 for good measure.

Bruno
07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
wow jb.

PHIN33
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM

....well said...

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
i think Magic was capable of scoring about 27-28 ppg, he just passed so incredibly well, & played so smart that he didn't force up dumb shots. dude was really good offensively though, especially his post ups, fast breaks, & drives. good jumper too. probably the 2nd best player ever behind Michael Jordan

Fla.SticKy
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Imo this is ridiculous, I dont think there should be one person on here that says Kobe! Kobe is for sure HOF bound, but Magic didnt just mean more to his team, its a fact him Larry rescued the NBA!

terp10
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Anyway, i'm going with Magic now but it's almost not fair to compare. Kobe's career is still going on, and who's to say he won't continue to represent the Lakers after he retires? That's alot of the reason why people are putting Magic ahead and that's not fair, considering Kobe isn't done yet.

People really shouldn't bring up Kobe's sexual assault case when Magic himself got HIV from infidelity as well. Both irrelevant.

For the game of basketball standpoint, it's Magic. He helped the franchise SO much and he'll ALWAYS be remembered as the most LOVED laker of all time. I personally think Kobe will be remembered as the greatest Laker though, considering he's broken nearly all Laker records possible for him to break. Not to mention he set alot of franchise records himself as well. Again too soon to tell, but i wouldn't be surprised if he's regarded as that in 10 to 15 years

People need to remember, we're not talking who was the better player. We're talking about LAKERS FRANCHISE ONLY.

faze38
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm mean this isn't even a question it's def Magic I mean everyone thinks that Jordan saved the NBA but it was really Magic and Bird. I mean magic has done more for the Lakers and the League then any player not named Dr J or Larry legend. The man deserves a trophy more the anybody in Lakers history just because of what he's done for the League and AIDs awareness.

nickdymez
07-30-2012, 10:44 PM
this...

Troll and Homer all rolled into one.

nickdymez
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
As far as the question. It's magic by far. He coached the team, won 5 championships with them, and owned a piece of them.. Is this a serious question?

quade36
07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Magic, not even close

Hotone1401
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
this...

Kobe is a GREAT player.

You sound like an idiot with blind hatred for Kobe. I think you seriously underrate Kobe.

It's Magic ofcourse.

The goods
07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I have to go with the magic man

kblo247
07-31-2012, 02:05 AM
For the franchise?

From a business level no Laker now, then, or ever may do as much for the team as Kobe. Jerry, Janie, and Nim have all agreed upon that in public. Kobe sat the record for money generated overall for the time way back in 2005 and has just piled it on ever since for the franchise. The Lakers always sell out on the road, got the biggest tv deal in nba history with an exclusive Kobe Bryant block, and he has constantly moved merch and justified prices no matter how extreme for La management who have no other business interest at all to make money or lay for their team.

Jeanie Buss said it herself befor the TWC, deal, they could pay the tax with no other sources of income because Kobe would make that back for them by himself throughout the year. It's an ever growing sentiment that Buu echoed when he said Kobe has been good for at least 80M every year by himself, which is more than some while teams generate. It also is why the Smush and Kwame era made more than the 3 peat and the OAU/LO one made even more.

Lastly he has flat out one and allowed them to not address the perimeter. Phil said it himself on Philosophy 101, Michael was better but he didn't work harder. Michael was not asked to facilitate for his title teams, Kobe was. Michael was allowed to share the defensive job with Scottie, Kobe wasn't allowed to nt defend the best perimeter player until Ron came. Kobe averaged 1st option numbers as a second option, was the main ball handler, a top rebounder on the team, and unlike Mike his teams all finished over 500 with and without Shaq except once whereas Mike had never did it without Scottie in his nba career. He also played hurt, sick, and everything else.

From a basktball friendless standpoint? Magic just off the smile and the fact he didn't with social media to detail how much a douche he was to teammates by their own admission behind the scenes, the sex parties like what Wade got dragged through the mud for, or the trade me or fire the coach for the guy I want demand. He came up in a much easier time to be liked because he had that smile that lit up any room

From a franchise aka business value? Only player in history comparable is Jordan, and it isn't close and that's why they the Buss family have even talked about 8/24 going up over just 1 number openly on the radio Before

BURAKOBE
07-31-2012, 02:21 AM
wow, wow,wow. Miami fans get super sensitive even in a thread like this. They view this thread almost as much as Lakers fans. You kids, get over yourself, we know lbj is better than Kobe now. We don't need your unreasonable explanations or picks here. God, how much worse can you new generation Heat fans get?

By the way, it is Magic and yes it is close.

Aust
07-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Curious of the business implications of a question like this. For example: Besides Yao Ming, Kobe was one of the biggest superstars in China. They didn't even know who Lebron was back then.

BURAKOBE
07-31-2012, 02:26 AM

When you think of Lakers, you only think of Kobe and only thing you feel is unimaginable hate, everyone on this board knows it, no need to lie kiddo.

Aust
07-31-2012, 02:33 AM
A lot of people have super hate for Kobe though. It just comes with the territory.

beliges
07-31-2012, 02:43 AM
Kobe is probably the greatest lakers player ever at this point. However, magic is probably more of a Lakers figure now because he's been a part of the organization for a much longer period of than Kobe.

However, with all the great HOFers the franchise has had, nobody has won more and dominated the era for a longer period of time than Kobe. Once Kobe is gone he will get the true appreciation that magic gets.

KBfrom8to24
07-31-2012, 04:28 AM

I could be wrong.

Really?:confused::confused::confused: FYI, Wade & James are the luckiest players in NBA. Because w/o David Stern on their side, they're still belong in the company of Barkley, Malone, Ewing, etc. The truth is, Kobe is still better than any of them if Stern not helping them.:clap::clap::clap:

LeMarcus
07-31-2012, 06:59 AM

I could be wrong.

Really?:confused::confused::confused: FYI, Wade & James are the luckiest players in NBA. Because w/o David Stern on their side, they're still belong in the company of Barkley, Malone, Ewing, etc. The truth is, Kobe is still better than any of them if Stern not helping them.:clap::clap::clap:

lol

Back to the topic.

Magic has done more for the Lakers and the city of Los Angeles than any lakers player.

Wade>You
07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
lol

Back to the topic.

Magic has done more for the Lakers and the city of Los Angeles than any lakers player.I'd say Jerry West has.

Oh no, I'm a Magic Johnson super hater! Because he's got so many... it comes with the territory.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/020/BRTky.jpg

RaiderLakersA's
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM

Where does it say that only the "leader" gets credit? Does that mean that only The Truth gets credit for Boston's title a few years ago?

And you should note that Magic won a title his first season, when he was NOT the "leader" of the Lakers, if I interpret your definition correctly.

naps
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
When you think of Lakers, you only think of Kobe and only thing you feel is unimaginable hate, everyone on this board knows it, no need to lie kiddo.

Really? How old are you? You must not know about Jerry West and Magic Johnson. You are probably one of those 13 year old kobephiles that hasn't seen or known much about Lakers history. It's pretty ironic that you quoted me to call me kiddo while you yourself probably watching NBA not more than 3/4 years.

waveycrockett
07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
You tore a hole in the fabric of Lakers fans reality with this question

Hawkeye15
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
his was not easy for me, but I say Magic. His continued devotion to the Lakers, and what he did for them in the 80's, is just amazing. Kobe has been a great representative of the franchise however, and may very well be looked at as it's greatest player when he is done.

RaiderLakersA's
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
You tore a hole in the fabric of Lakers fans reality with this question

Not really. We've had discussions like this before. "Who was the greatest Laker PG?" and "Who is the Lakers greatest Center?" used to be the big debate topics amongst Lakers faithful back in the day. All good conversations worth having. With so many great players that have worn a Lakers jersey, it's unavoidable.

8kobe24
07-31-2012, 02:09 PM

If you are asking who did more for the Franchise as a WHOLE, then it's Magic.

bucketss
07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Kobe is probably the greatest lakers player ever at this point. However, magic is probably more of a Lakers figure now because he's been a part of the organization for a much longer period of than Kobe.

However, with all the great HOFers the franchise has had, nobody has won more and dominated the era for a longer period of time than Kobe. Once Kobe is gone he will get the true appreciation that magic gets.

how? magic has more finals mvps one as a rookie and same amount of championships, two more league mvps.

justinnum1
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
how? magic has more finals mvps one as a rookie and same amount of championships, two more league mvps.

He is probably really young, never watched magic play.

LAKERMANIA
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh and one more thing, and I've been saying this since JB was a mod, but I have noticed how JB makes polls to conveniently make Kobe lose...

bucketss
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Oh and one more thing, and I've been saying this since JB was a mod, but I have noticed how JB makes polls to conveniently make Kobe lose...

im guessing since hes a jordan fan hes trying to further jordan and kobe and much as he can.

LAKERMANIA
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
im guessing since hes a jordan fan hes trying to further jordan and kobe and much as he can.

Bucketss from long range for the win, BANG!

beliges
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM

Magic played for the Lakers for about 11 and a half years if you combine his brief comeback. Kobe is going on 17 seasons. He has been "great" for about 13 of those seasons and is continuing to do so. What I meant was that even Magic didnt dominate on the Lakers as much as Kobe has. When its all said and done, Kobe may very well have twice as many seasons as a Lakers than Magic. That becomes a significant factor in this discussion.

LAKERMANIA
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Very True, I believe when it's all said and done and time goes by, the answer will be Kobe.

ghettosean
07-31-2012, 04:11 PM

:clap:

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
For the franchise?

From a business level no Laker now, then, or ever may do as much for the team as Kobe. Jerry, Janie, and Nim have all agreed upon that in public.

Jerry, Janie and Nim may have agreed on that, but the fact of the matter is that Magic and Bird MADE the NBA. It was a fringe sport like the NHL, and Magic and Bird turned it into a monster that competes with the NFL. Kobe didn't do that. Magic and Bird raised the awareness of the league, and then it exploded with Jordan. Kobe is just riding the wave. Just because the Lakers are generating more now than they were before doesn't mean Kobe has done more than Magic, it just means the team has grown. Shaq had a lot to do with that, and so does inflation.

Magic has done more for the Lakers, and more for the league than Kobe could ever hope to do.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
I have thought about this a lot, and I honestly feel that both have done equally as much as the other, but it's just that both have done it in different ways.

KniCks4LiFe
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Magic. No contest. Next question. What's been anything near Magic vs Bird? Lakers vs Pistons or Celtics...hell it was the Showtime Lakers. Show some respect.