PDA

View Full Version : How did the Miami Heat fanbase get so large? (Poll)

AndyfromNeptune
07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
First off, I wanted to start off this thread by saying that this is not a bait thread at all. This is a topic that I wanted to discuss for a while now especially with the Cavaliers getting a budding star in Kyrie Irving.

Back in 2009, there were so many Cavaliers fans on this forum talking about their team and how close they were to winning a championship. Obviously, Lebron made his "decision" and left to the Miami Heat. Suddenly, the Miami Heat have become on of the most widely talked about topics on this forum with a seemingly much more vociferous fanbase than pre-Lebron James decision.

My question is specifically for the Pro Sports Daily forum--not for fans outside this forum.

Where did the Cleveland Cavaliers fans go? Are there still fans on this forum just waiting to become more active when Kyrie Irving leads the team to the playoffs? In the meanwhile, do Cavaliers fans just root for Lebron?

How did the Miami Heat fanbase on this forum become so great? Were there always this large number of fans on PSD (i.e. with Wade and Shaq) or did fans only pop up when the Heat looked like legitimate contenders?

Finally, are their fans who simply root for players on this forum instead of the actual team? For example, did some Toronto Raptors fans start rooting for the Heat once Bosh left?

For these questions and any other thoughts on the topic (especially your own personal accounts of your fanhood) please feel free to share.

I created this thread mostly because as a Knicks fan, whether we've been absolutely abominable or a playoff team (for the last two years) we've consistently had one of the most active forums out of all the teams here on PSD. I'm wondering why there are fluctuations with other teams based on their successes and failures.

AndyfromNeptune
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Personally, I think there are a lot of cases on PSD of fans rooting for players--not teams.

To all the Cavaliers fans who still adamantly root for their team even after Lebron James left and won a championship, I have an incredible amount of respect for you.

JordansBulls
07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
It's pretty obvious. Which goes to show who really is a fan of the team or not. I understand becoming a fan of a team once they get a star, but what happens when you already had the star in place and you weren't a fan until they become legit championship contenders.

Swashcuff
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
When I first came to PSD there were at least 20x the amount of Cavs fans then than there is now. I mean honestly I have only seen like a couple Cavs fans on PSD since after the decision was made. I guess guys decided to stay away rather than stay here to be ridiculed :shrug:

bearadonisdna
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I wouldnt say the heat have a huge fan base. This year they lost the moneys.

As far as cavs are concerned. You can only talk about a 20 win team for so long.

SteBO
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
LeBron alone has a huge fan base. At the end of the day, there are a ton of "player" fans than there are "team" fans when including big name stars. That's what it comes down to......

LongIslandIcedZ
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
A number of reasons.

- PSD fanbase increases when the team is better, thats obvious.
- People are Lebron fans, I know a lot of people that classify themselves as strictly Lebron fans and will follow him anywhere.
- The Heat are the in thing, they will attract bandwagon fans, and a lot of them.

yanks19791024
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Ive been on PSD for years, as soon as the heat got Lebron PSD becoming nutty with heat fans!!!!

RLundi
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
You kind of already answered your own question. Sorry to say, but a lot of Heat fans are bandwagon surfers, just like a lot of Cavs fans were back in the day. The only difference is when Miami starts to suck again, the nation and even the city of Miami will lose complete interest in them. At lease Cleveland is starting to support the Cavs again.

kntresistheheat
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
This thread is going to get ugly. Whether you want it or not. :)

Swashcuff
07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I totally agree on Bandwagon fans. I mean if the Bobcats were to get Dwight Howard and Chris Paul as well as Shabazz Muhammad and Michael Jordan decided to become the Head coach I bet you'd see the Bobcats suddenly getting more fans on PSD than 90% of the teams on here.

asandhu23
07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
They were shipped in on bandwagons...

mark1125
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
This thread is going to get ugly. Whether you want it or not. :)

Agreed. Mainly going to be one side saying "bandwagon" in every post and the other side spouting off with the "U mad" crap. OP knows this and just wants to get this crap rolling again on the forum. :facepalm:

JWO35
07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Bandwagoners plain and simple...if LeBron was traded to Fort Wayne MadAnts, they would have the largest fan base

Swashcuff
07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
You kind of already answered your own question. Sorry to say, but a lot of Heat fans are bandwagon surfers, just like a lot of Cavs fans were back in the day. The only difference is when Miami starts to suck again, the nation and even the city of Miami will lose complete interest in them. At lease Cleveland is starting to support the Cavs again.

I don't know if we can really say that the Heat fans would disappear you know. I mean this interest in the Heat isn't just in the City its Worldwide more so than the Cavs as they are truely the "in" thing. The Heat are more comparable to the Bulls of the early 90s than to LeBron's Cavs when you talk about the reach of their fan base.

Longhornfan1234
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm a King James fan. I don't have a favorite team.

Bravo95
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Star-driven league.

mjm07
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
IMO Heat fans have always had a pretty solid fan base (NOT the biggest or the best ) before LBJ. Particularly, when Riley came on board and changed the culture of the franchise by bringing Mourning, Hardaway. Then yrs later drafting Wade and bringing in Shaq which helped to win our 1st 'ship.

Lastly, anytime you bring in a superstar to your team, let alone two and one of them being the best in the sport, in LBJ and Bosh its going to dramatically increase that fanbase with new fans aka bandwagon fans. It grows from there even more with the Heat winning another championship this and working to create a dynasty. LAL, BOS, SA fans know all about this.

I do respect Knick fans for their passion towards their team, even if some are delusional and annoying as all hell ( BklynKnicks3, Latinofire21 ). As well as other fanbases i.e. LAL, BOS, Spurs, etc.

AndyfromNeptune
07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
IMO Heat fans have always had a pretty solid fan base (NOT the biggest or the best ) before LBJ. Particularly, when Riley came on board and changed the culture of the franchise by bringing Mourning, Hardaway. Then yrs later drafting Wade and bringing in Shaq which helped to win our 1st 'ship.

Lastly, anytime you bring in a superstar to your team, let alone two and one of them being the best in the sport, in LBJ and Bosh its going to dramatically increase that fanbase with new fans aka bandwagon fans. It grows from there even more with the Heat winning another championship this and working to create a dynasty. LAL, BOS, SA fans know all about this.

I do respect Knick fans for their passion towards their team, even if some are delusional and annoying as all hell ( BklynKnicks3, Latinofire21 ). As well as other fanbases i.e. LAL, BOS, Spurs, etc.

You make some good points as the Miami Heat fanbase always seemed relatively active especially in regards to Dwayne Wade before Lebron came. However, once Lebron came, seemingly a good percentage of Cleveland Cavaliers posters disappeared and new Miami Heat posters sprouted up.

As a Knicks fan who has seen my team's fanbase maintain relative consistency through the good and bad, I get confused when I see these huge fluctuations throughout the forum.

AndyfromNeptune
07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Also, on a side note, I think the two most active fanbases on PSD relative to basketball success are the Toronto Raptors and the New York Knicks.

I think this ratio yields them as the two best fan bases in my opinion on this site.

(The Lakers are the most active but obviously have had years of success to drive the activity level plus one of the best players in the world)

koreancabbage
First off, I wanted to start off this thread by saying that this is not a bait thread at all. This is a topic that I wanted to discuss for a while now especially with the Cavaliers getting a budding star in Kyrie Irving.

Back in 2009, there were so many Cavaliers fans on this forum talking about their team and how close they were to winning a championship. Obviously, Lebron made his "decision" and left to the Miami Heat. Suddenly, the Miami Heat have become on of the most widely talked about topics on this forum with a seemingly much more vociferous fanbase than pre-Lebron James decision.

My question is specifically for the Pro Sports Daily forum--not for fans outside this forum.

Where did the Cleveland Cavaliers fans go? Are there still fans on this forum just waiting to become more active when Kyrie Irving leads the team to the playoffs? In the meanwhile, do Cavaliers fans just root for Lebron?

How did the Miami Heat fanbase on this forum become so great? Were there always this large number of fans on PSD (i.e. with Wade and Shaq) or did fans only pop up when the Heat looked like legitimate contenders?

Finally, are their fans who simply root for players on this forum instead of the actual team? For example, did some Toronto Raptors fans start rooting for the Heat once Bosh left?

For these questions and any other thoughts on the topic (especially your own personal accounts of your fanhood) please feel free to share.

I created this thread mostly because as a Knicks fan, whether we've been absolutely abominable or a playoff team (for the last two years) we've consistently had one of the most active forums out of all the teams here on PSD. I'm wondering why there are fluctuations with other teams based on their successes and failures.

I like Bosh as a player. Still a stat filler player if he was the 1st or 2nd option. 20-10 player (obviously averages less right now) as a 3rd option? that's pretty good.

In Toronto, he was undervalued and overused. Not many big men lead their teams to the playoffs so I don't know where the hate comes from other than Bosh being a big douche sometimes lol as a person. Still, Toronto's problems started and ended with the wing play. Bargnani and Bosh were asked to do too much when they really need a wing players that can defend and break down team defences.

As well, I like Lebron as a player. One of the best I have ever seen in this generation. Sure you can hate him as a person but you have to respect his basketball game.

I appreciate the genius that Riley is for planning this. creating room to actually somehow get Lebron and Bosh here.

In the end, I'm more of a Bosh and Lebron fan moreso than a Miami fan. but the chemistry they have on the court- its good basketball to watch.

Slug3
Well honestly I stumbled on PSD while looking for rumors in 2010 cause I wanted to see where all the free agents were going. I would google Miami heat rumors and came to find PSD. Saw how much information this site had and joined. Before I would usually just browse on the Miami heats website forum. But got a lot more information here.

RLundi
07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't know if we can really say that the Heat fans would disappear you know. I mean this interest in the Heat isn't just in the City its Worldwide more so than the Cavs as they are truely the "in" thing. The Heat are more comparable to the Bulls of the early 90s than to LeBron's Cavs when you talk about the reach of their fan base.

I don't know though. I mean, you said it yourself, people are interested and concerned with the Heat but I don't think too many people are rooting for them. It's like a terrible accident or a bearded woman- it's captivating, but I don't know too many people outside of little kids or Florida residents that classify themselves as Heat fans.

There's international intrigue, yes, and if the Heat rattle off several championships then their fanbase will grow. But the novelty is eventually wear off and I can't see them having a cult following.

Bob_at_york
07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Whether you wanted to cause trouble or not, this thread could cause a lot of trouble. Sorry, need to lock it.