PDA

View Full Version : Kobe thinking about retiring in 2 seasons

waveycrockett
07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Kobe Bryant said he will not chase a sixth NBA championship.

ďIím just going to, like, hold on for dear life?Ē Bryant said when asked if he would stick around till he won another title. ďIím not the type of guy to do that. Iíll give you the great effort, my best effort, but if it doesnít happen, it doesnít happen.

ďBut Iíll be damned if it doesnít.Ē

Bryant, 33, again hinted that he may retire after the 2013-14 season.

ďThatís what Iím thinking, but I havenít had any serious thoughts about it,Ē he said

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/222689/Bryant_Wont_Chase_Sixth_Championship#ixzz224XH4Qjf

He would only be 35 but after 18 seasons he would have played more years in the NBA than his own age when he was drafted. Crazy

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I doubt it, I don't see him retiring until he wins #6 but let's see these next 2 years he wins back to back titles I'm sure he would sign for at least another year to try and 3-peat!

49GiantWarriors
07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Maybe its a fear of messing up his legacy

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe its a fear of messing up his legacy

His legacy is about set he'll go down as a top 5 player anymore championships can move him up 1 or 2 more spots to a top 3 player ever IN MY OPINION!! I can't see his legacy being hurt by anything he does from now on, cuz there is no way in hell he will stick around like t-Mac to role player status

dodie53
07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
ain't happening IMO.
unless he has a very serious injury.

MTar786
07-30-2012, 12:03 AM
i see him, steve nash, jamison and possibly ron artest too all retiring after the 13-14 season and LATEST 15

they will have cap space to sign a super free agent and then they will trade gasols expiring for something valuable.

max free agent plus dwight and we'll kwame pau for another superstar

Longhornfan1234
07-30-2012, 12:28 AM
His legacy is about set he'll go down as a top 5 player anymore championships can move him up 1 or 2 more spots to a top 3 player ever IN MY OPINION!! I can't see his legacy being hurt by anything he does from now on, cuz there is no way in hell he will stick around like t-Mac to role player status

:facepalm:

Wilt, MJ, Kareem, Magic, and Bill.

He has not surpass them. I have Shaq ranked over him.

Utd7
07-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Even as a Celtic fan I have to say the day Kobe hangs it up will be a sad day for the NBA.

Lakerhead4ever
07-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Even as a Celtic fan I have to say the day Kobe hangs it up will be a sad day for the NBA.

Respect to you for what you said. That's a real fan of basketball

I Rock Shaqs
07-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Kobe Bryant. Think he'll buy a team like MJ after he retires?

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-30-2012, 12:40 AM

Lol funny but like I said its my opinion people will soon come to realize Kobe will definitely end up as a top 5 player ever

IndyRealist
07-30-2012, 12:43 AM
He should hang it up while he can still play at a decent level. Too many guys hang on well past their prime and taint their legacy. The Kobe marketing empire will likely keep going after he hangs up his sneakers so he won't likely need the income.

Longhornfan1234
07-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Lol funny but like I said its my opinion people will soon come to realize Kobe will definitely end up as a top 5 player ever

Lol.

Utd7
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Respect to you for what you said. That's a real fan of basketball

:cheers:

jmoney85
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
kobe is fading quickly IMO.... you can even see it with team USA...I dont even think he should be starting right now on team usa

thephoenixson28
07-30-2012, 12:47 AM
2015 pick is looking might nice

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-30-2012, 01:08 AM
kobe is fading quickly IMO.... you can even see it with team USA...I dont even think he should be starting right now on team usa

Lol Its called letting the young guys do the work smh just wait till they get to the gold medal game he will be the best player on the team that day

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Same thing happened last year people were saying Kobe was done and then what happened? Exactly!!

CrasH-X
07-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Top 3, from a PHX fan, and witnessed 81 .

GSDUBS209
07-30-2012, 01:49 AM

Die hard Warrior fan here and I have to agree. When kobe's done there will be something missing from the league. Kobe is the closest to MJ in some of our eyes, just depends on your generation.

bearadonisdna
07-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Things must not be all that honky dory in team usa basketball land if its making him think about retiring.

bearadonisdna
07-30-2012, 01:55 AM
If things were gravy hed be like i dont kno if ill ever stop.

Avenged
07-30-2012, 01:59 AM
He can't mess up his legacy anymore. Only way now is to go up the ranks and even doing that is unlikely. He is pretty much set in stone now unless he can lead L.A to another championship. Long shot for that one though.

If he retires in 2 years, well, he would have retired with one of the most impressive resumes of all-time.

Hawkeye15
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
He can't mess up his legacy anymore. Only way now is to go up the ranks and even doing that is unlikely. He is pretty much set in stone now unless he can lead L.A to another championship. Long shot for that one though.

If he retires in 2 years, well, he would have retired with one of the most impressive resumes of all-time.

I hate Kobe. We all know that. But I consider myself so fortunate to have watched him over his career. Personally, I have him top 9 ever.

Mr_Jones
07-30-2012, 02:09 AM

I don't get it.. Really?

Bill and Wilt? Really? They completely dominated their era.. But an era that would be completely average or below average players if they played today.
By the end of his career, Kobe will be top 5 without question.

I don't even list Wilt or Russell or anybody that played with them.

If anything: MJ, Kareem, Magic/Bird, Christ.

Mave1002
07-30-2012, 02:10 AM

Youve been watching way too many exhibition games kid. :rolleyes:

Mr_Jones
07-30-2012, 02:12 AM

I respect your balls.

I like Rondo and Christ.

lakerboy
07-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Love him or hate him, it will be sad to see him go. Kobe is my childhood hero.

I hate Lebron with all my balls, but if he or even Wade or Durant leaves, I'll be sad as hell. These guys make watching basketball really interesting. They've become part of our lives -- like it or not.

There are only so many player who make basketball worth watching.

waveycrockett
07-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Same thing happened last year people were saying Kobe was done and then what happened? Exactly!!

Nobody is saying anything Kobe is the one who said it DUDE

3ballbomber
07-30-2012, 02:36 AM
'Fading quickly'?

even at his age Kobe is still one of the top players in the league. He has sharpened his game enough to still be a highly efficient player. I've never been a big fan of Kobe but to say he is declining @ a rapid rate is nonsense.

Lakerhead4ever
07-30-2012, 02:38 AM
I hate Kobe. We all know that. But I consider myself so fortunate to have watched him over his career. Personally, I have him top 9 ever.

whoa. i think this is the first time i seen you give props to him.

respect

shep33
07-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Great career. Whatever he does, I think he's deserved a spot in the top 10 of all-time. Pretty ridiculous career when you look at his achievements.

shep33
07-30-2012, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't say he's fading quickly. I mean that's what makes him so great, his longevity as a top player in this league.

What separates him from Tmac and VC is the incredible duration of his achievements. The last time Tmac and VC had comparable stats to Kobe was 6 seasons ago.

He also put up similar if not better numbers (had a higher PER) that Carmelo Anthony this past season. So to say that Kobe is significantly declining is not really true. According to statistics from last season, he was equally as good if not better than Melo (who is one of my favorite players also, not trying to start anything).

He is declining though, that's for sure. Nowhere near the same player he was before, but still pretty decent

ThunderousDemon
07-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Can't wait to have all of that free cap space. When does WestBrook or Kevin Durant become free agents? :D

BURAKOBE
07-30-2012, 03:02 AM

He is fading as slow as it gets.

shep33
07-30-2012, 03:04 AM
He is fading as slow as it gets.

Honestly don't know if I've seen a player have such a slow decline. Stockton and Nash come to mind

BURAKOBE
07-30-2012, 03:05 AM

I tought he was in your top 8 last year? Do i remember wrong or somebody made a huge jump in one shortened season?

BURAKOBE
07-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Honestly don't know if I've seen a player have such a slow decline. Stockton and Nash come to mind

Agreed, there are only a hand full of players i can think of, but other then Kobe non of them was ever an athletic player.

waveycrockett
07-30-2012, 03:35 AM

Honestly Kobe has very obviously declined and I dont know if "rapidly" is the right word but because at his peak he was FREAKING AMAZING that even after a significant decline he is still REALLY REALLY GOOD. But the difference between Kobe of now vs Kobe of '04-'05 heck even '08-'09 I think is huge.

BURAKOBE
07-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Honestly Kobe has very obviously declined and I dont know if "rapidly" is the right word but because at his peak he was FREAKING AMAZING that even after a significant decline he is still REALLY REALLY GOOD. But the difference between Kobe of now vs Kobe of '04-'05 heck even '08-'09 I think is huge.

You are right but the thing is it's been about 3-4 years of decline so it's not rapid.

hidalgo
07-30-2012, 04:42 AM
i wish he'd retire, but he won't. i can't stand the dude. Dwight will come to his rescue making it any easy title, yet KB will get all the credit while Dwight being the reason will be ignored. why Dwight would wanna help hom boost his ego is beyond me. Nash that goes for you too, i lost every bit of respect for Nash

and Michael Jordan really has 7 titles, (that north carolina title). really the ncaa title is tougher to get, you can't lose even once or you're out. that's why i consider Ewing a champion, he won an ncaa title vs Olajuwon. college titles are bigtime in my opinion, & that tournament is crazy, so hard to win

kobedgreat
07-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Can't wait to have all of that free cap space. When does WestBrook or Kevin Durant become free agents? :D

U said u cant wait to have all that free cap space and sign bunch of loosers right??? like carlos boozer and kwame brown and luke walton to fill up the cap space.... Appreciatte the effort and time kobe is putting to this franchise... and forget that crap.. When he is gone he is gone period appreciatte greatest while its still in front of you......

kobedgreat
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
i wish he'd retire, but he won't. i can't stand the dude. Dwight will come to his rescue making it any easy title, yet KB will get all the credit while Dwight being the reason will be ignored. why Dwight would wanna help hom boost his ego is beyond me. Nash that goes for you too, i lost every bit of respect for Nash

and Michael Jordan really has 7 titles, (that north carolina title). really the ncaa title is tougher to get, you can't lose even once or you're out. that's why i consider Ewing a champion, he won an ncaa title vs Olajuwon. college titles are bigtime in my opinion, & that tournament is crazy, so hard to win

Kobe will be the man whether you like it or not..... to lead u must first serve.... During the good time kobe was here during the bad time kobe was here... so quit yapping and appreciate greatness while it last..... maybe if we had a bunch of scrubs like kwame brown luke walton brain cook and smush parker howard will wanna come to the franchise...... I dont think so... trust me the same way he gave up on his team what makes you so sure he would not give up on your team when kobe leaves...... something to think about

RaiderLakersA's
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

I respect your opinion, but let's agree to disagree. Shaq is behind Kobe on my list.

RaiderLakersA's
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Were you drinking heavily when you authored this post??? :p

dh144498
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM

what does all this have to do with Kobe's retirement..... :facepalm:

dh144498
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Were you drinking heavily when you authored this post??? :p

that dude is mad as hell. I've seen him post some ridiculous posts just sh*tting all over Kobe. :laugh2: Even if the thread has nothing to do with him. The dude is prolly turned to an alcoholic for the past 12 years because Kobe making him mad since 2000.

AndyfromNeptune
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
My thing with Kobe was that he was never given the God given talents that Michael Jordan was, but he is the best of all time in terms of maximizing his talents.

He wasn't even a lottery pick but worked his way up to the top of the league to now in my opinion be the second best shooting guard of all time and a top 4 player of all time.

Kobe will be missed. Hopefully, he has 3-4 more years left in him at least. I never want to see him go. It would be like Derek Jeter leaving the Yankees or Tiger Woods leaving the world of golf.

shep33
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM

I won't disagree with you there. He was essentially unstoppable back then. But even today, at his age and with all those years, we can make an argument that he's still a top 2 SG and a top 7-8 player in the league today.

But your right, there is a significant difference between now and 6-7 years ago

Chavacano
07-30-2012, 12:40 PM

The difference will obviously be huge due to the number of years you put between them. Stat-wise, if you compare his numbers on a yearly basis, you'd notice that his decline's as slow as you can get. Possibly slowest all-time even. :laugh2:
He may not be as athletic as he was but he's still the getting the job done on most occasions.