PDA

View Full Version : What's with taking college players to the Olympics?

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I can see it making sense if the new 23-and-under rule comes into play, but why take a college player on the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team right now? You'd have to be crazy to think Anthony Davis deserves to be on the team more than Amare Stoudemire, LaMarcus Aldridge, Paul Milsap or any other reasonably good power forward who's put his time in at the pinnacle of basketball talent. For all we know, Davis could be a bust or end up having a career like Christian Laettner - fairly decent but not Olympic quality. Did the NBA decide to make sure Davis would be on the team to sweeten the pot in exchange for Tom Benson buying the team?

BADizzleBoY
07-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Amare didn't want to, Bynum didn't want to, Howard is hurt, Bosh is hurt, LMA is hurt, Milsap said no. So who else in the NBA is a center and should've played?

KnickaBocka.44
07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Amare can't/ isn't allowed to because his contract isn't insured.

Honestly, I think it is a good experience to have young guys like that on the squad. It puts them around the established players and gives them a chance to learn about how to conduct themselves, how much work is involved, etc.

yanksrock
07-29-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm sure there are enough NBA players that want to play.

This is good for NBA fans. You get a sneak peek at the future of the NBA.

JWO35
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
The USA always needs a garbage time guy, it wouldn't make sense having an All-Star getting garbage time in the Olympics...might as well be an unproven rookie(or young up and comer).

I mean he's what the 12th man? I doubt he would be on the team if Howard or Bosh was healthy

Raps18-19 Champ
07-29-2012, 08:58 PM
They had a selection of choices to choose from.

StarvingKnick22
07-29-2012, 09:04 PM
theres alot of 15 &16 year olds in the oylmpics and or concern are a bunch of 20 year olds? but then again David Stern sucks. sooooo yeah.

detzfish
07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I think his spot should have went to a young big that has proven they could play in the league. Besides the obvious guys you have brought up I believe Demarcus cousins or Greg Monroe should be there. Monroe because he is a great passer for a big man and would set up the stars nicely. Seems people forget that Davis isnt supposed to be with the team. He is there evade griffin is hurt.

JeffG20
07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I can see it making sense if the new 23-and-under rule comes into play, but why take a college player on the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball Team right now? You'd have to be crazy to think Anthony Davis deserves to be on the team more than Amare Stoudemire, LaMarcus Aldridge, Paul Milsap or any other reasonably good power forward who's put his time in at the pinnacle of basketball talent. For all we know, Davis could be a bust or end up having a career like Christian Laettner - fairly decent but not Olympic quality. Did the NBA decide to make sure Davis would be on the team to sweeten the pot in exchange for Tom Benson buying the team?

yes, David Stern injured Griffin to get Davis on the team :facepalm:

Wade>You
07-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Like everything involving the owners, it's about money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--nba-owners-want-to-kill-olympic-format-to-protect-investment-in-international-players.html
"The Olympics are a huge for-profit endeavor," Dallas owner Mark Cuban told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday. "It makes no sense that NBA owners subsidize it."

This is the fight now, but everyone knows how it will end: The owners are organized, unified, and determined to make the World Cup of Basketball the financial boon that they always believed a European expansion of NBA franchises could be for them.

And if you believe the NBA owners that they care about their players and their players' health, then that, too.

mrblisterdundee
07-30-2012, 12:34 AM
The USA always needs a garbage time guy, it wouldn't make sense having an All-Star getting garbage time in the Olympics...might as well be an unproven rookie(or young up and comer).

I mean he's what the 12th man? I doubt he would be on the team if Howard or Bosh was healthy

My point is there are numerous guys who have earned their stripes in the NBA who would love to get a gold medal before they retire. If Davis is as good as everybody seems to think he is (before even seeing how he does in the NBA), then I'm sure he'll be talented enough to get on the 2016 team when he's actually earned it. Even Carl Landry is more deserving, and he'd destroy the international competition just like Davis. We all know that, barring a psychological meltdown, the Olympics are just a scrimmage for the U.S. team. It's just a matter of giving the guys who have given their time to the NBA a chance at gold, since the NBA is the ultimate proving ground.

mrblisterdundee
07-30-2012, 12:40 AM
yes, David Stern injured Griffin to get Davis on the team :facepalm:

I didn't say the NBA injured Griffin to get Davis on the team; that's you and your idiocy. I'm saying there were at least 30 guys in the NBA more deserving of that spot that someone who's never played a professional game. :facepalm: