PDA

View Full Version : Different rules between the NBA and FIBA

hornetsfansydne
07-28-2012, 09:52 PM
So with the Men's Olympic tournament starting in a few hours, I thought I would create a thread to show a few of the different rules between the NBA and FIBA just so that people here will know why something has/hasn't been called. I realise this is the NBA forum but I'm sure a game thread will be created in here anyway but if the mods want to move it, go ahead

No defensive 3 seconds
Held balls go to the alternate possession arrow, not to a jump ball
2 timeouts in the first half and 3 in the second and can only be called at a dead ball period (ie ref has blown his/her whistle) and cannot be called by a player on the court
10 minute quarters
Technical fouls are 2 free throws followed by possession of the ball at halfway
Flagrant 1 fouls are known as unsportsmanlike fouls and carry the same penalty as a tech and flagrant 2 fouls are known as disqualifying fouls.
Slight differences with the goal tending rules but nothing too significant

That's all I can think of at the moment but if anyone else has some feel free to add them

FlashMacker
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure you foul out at 5 fouls too

hornetsfansydne
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you foul out at 5 fouls too

Yep 5 fouls, forgot the NBA was 6.... too used to playing/refereeing with 5 haha

StarvingKnick22
07-28-2012, 10:12 PM
wow, kind of like the metric system. lol

Hellcrooner
07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
traveling. = one step less allowed.............if the refs feel like calling it wich is not always the case agaisnt usa.

hornetsfansydne
07-29-2012, 04:10 AM
traveling. = one step less allowed.............if the refs feel like calling it wich is not always the case agaisnt usa.

Sorry Crooner, not the case at all. FIBA and the NBA are both the 2 step count, just looked it up to double check. The difference that you would be seeing is the interpretation of the rule. NBA lets more things go IMO.

heatbb
07-29-2012, 06:51 AM
In FIBA you can touch the ball that's on the cilinder, obviously after the first touch of the ring.

knicksfan42
07-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Sorry Crooner, not the case at all. FIBA and the NBA are both the 2 step count, just looked it up to double check. The difference that you would be seeing is the interpretation of the rule. NBA lets more things go IMO.

He was joking.