PDA

View Full Version : Mock Season: West Conference

Potential33
07-28-2012, 09:07 PM
An East Conference was done with a lot of debate. I am going to be put together a much tougher West Conference. Feel free to express your opinions. These are just my opinions and if you have any questions I'll try to justify why i had that certain team at that position and/or record.

Northwest:
OKC 56-26
Denver 47-35
Minnesota 45-37
Portland 40-42
Utah 39-43

Pacific:
Lakers 58-24
Clippers 49-35
Suns 41-41
Golden State 31-51
Sacramento 29-53

Southwest:
Spurs 52-30
Memphis 50-32
Dallas 47-35
Houston 38-44
New Orleans 28-54

Standings:
Lakers
OKC
Spurs
Memphis
Clippers
Denver
Dallas
Minnesota

Suns
Portland
Utah
Houston
Golden State
Sacramento
New Orleans

Lakers v Minnesota (Lakers in 4)
OKC v Dallas (OKC in 5)
Spurs v Denver (Spurs in 7)
Memphis v Clippers (Clippers in 7)

Lakers v Clippers (Lakers in 6)
OKC v Spurs (OKC in 5)

Lakers v OKC (Lakers in 7)

What are your opinions?

StarvingKnick22
07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
lakers with Howard right? because without him the wont get past the Thunder or Spurs.

SportsFanatic10
07-28-2012, 09:12 PM
so you're a laker fan? is this without howard or with?

StarvingKnick22
Suns are definately in the playoffs, and Dallas is a maybe.

tp13baby
OKC will be the best team this year. No changes, Perry Jones will help. I think they are considerable favorites in the west. This is alot better than the East.
Call me a homer but with Memphis losing Mayo. Clippers and Denver will be fighting for the fourth seed.

GSWFanInLA
07-28-2012, 09:16 PM
That's funny.. Houston better than Golden State

Potential33
07-28-2012, 09:16 PM
so you're a laker fan? is this without howard or with?

Phoenix fan...

I just think that getting Nash, resigning Hill and signing Jamison to the bench will put them over the top of OKC and an older Spurs. I am assuming Kobe has a better season than the season of last where he destroyed the team. Nash and Gasol pick and roll will be something special. I also assume Lakers are going to sign a decent backup sg to complete their bench. They have been linked to players like Meeks, Barbosa and Rush who are all good role players.

MintBerryCrunch
07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Phoenix fan...

I just think that getting Nash, resigning Hill and signing Jamison to the bench will put them over the top of OKC and an older Spurs. I am assuming Kobe has a better season than the season of last where he destroyed the team. Nash and Gasol pick and roll will be something special. I also assume Lakers are going to sign a decent backup sg to complete their bench. They have been linked to players like Meeks, Barbosa and Rush who are all good role players.

Very reasonable argument

Potential33
That's funny.. Houston better than Golden State

I know they lost Scola, Lowry, Dragic. However, they added Asik, Lin, Jones Motiejunas, Lamb, White. I feel Patterson, Parsons, Morris will all step up too. However, it will depend on the impact of these young players as to whether or not they get 38 wins.

lakersiznumber1
sounds about right but we will win in 6 :clap: with or with out d12 we got better okc hasnt. There goin miss dfish leadership he play very good in the playoffs. Now we got a pg an jamison off the bench we are very dangerous

raiderposting
07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
GS is not only winning 31 games .

Potential33
07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
GS is not only winning 31 games .

I actually forgot about Bogut. If Bogut is healthy i'd put them up to about 40 wins equal with Portland for 10th.

Bulls_fan90
07-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Lakers 73 - 9

First Round sweep.

Second round sweep.

Conference Finals sweep.

SportsFanatic10
07-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Phoenix fan...

makes sense, all valid points good post. i do think its being a bit optimistic though. imo okc will beat the lakers unless they get howard but its not like the gap between them is very big so it definatley could go either way. i will say that i don't see the lakers having the better regular season though. they need time to adjust to a new way of playing with nash and they are an older vet team. okc has a team thats played together a few years now with young legs, i expect them to get the 1 seed unless injuries derail them. also losing in the finals will probably light a fire under them going into next season.

SportsFanatic10
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
sounds about right but we will win in 6 :clap: with or with out d12 we got better okc hasnt. There goin miss dfish leadership he play very good in the playoffs. Now we got a pg an jamison off the bench we are very dangerous

okc is such a young team that they should get better by default every season without adding anything. just keeping their core together means they should be better next season. they've been going deeper in the playoffs every year.

Monta is beast
07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Hahaha

curry-jack
thompson-rush
barnes-jefferson
lee-landry/martin-tyler
bogut-ezeli-biedrins

=31 wins?

thats a joke and your a joke

Vinny642
07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Us winning 28 games when we won 21 games with the crap we had last season in a shorter season, I LOVE your judgement and opinion, its so reasonable..... -__-

I say we win 35-40

Vinny642
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Hahaha

curry-jack
thompson-rush
barnes-jefferson
lee-landry/martin-tyler
bogut-ezeli-biedrins

=31 wins?

We got
Vasquez-Rivers
Gordon-Rivers- Henry
Aminu- D. Miller-Henry
Anderson-Davis-Warrick
Davis-Lopez-Smith

and we only get 28 :)

Potential33
07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Hahaha

curry-jack
thompson-rush
barnes-jefferson
lee-landry/martin-tyler
bogut-ezeli-biedrins

=31 wins?

If you actually read through the previous page i said i forgot about Bogut and would have them at around 40 wins..

Us winning 28 games when we won 21 games with the crap we had last season in a shorter season, I LOVE your judgement and opinion, its so reasonable..... -__-

I say we win 35-40

You do realise that in the conference seeing as though more than half of the games most teams play are against conference opponents that it's so illogical and basically impossible for nearly every team in the conference to have above 35 wins..

Just because a team looks good on paper doesn't mean that you will have 35-40 wins. Gordon is injury prone, who says he will play most of the season. If you are to have 35-40 wins (which i still think won't happen) Anderson, Rivers, Davis and Gordon will have to have perfect chemistry (which i also don't think will happen, especially between Gordon and Rivers) and Gordon will have to stay healthy (which is also a big if).

Potential33
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
We got
Vasquez-Rivers
Gordon-Rivers- Henry
Aminu- D. Miller-Henry
Anderson-Davis-Warrick
Davis-Lopez-Smith

and we only get 28 :)

Baron (15 & 8) - Telfair
Gordon (17, 3 & 3) - Davis
Thornton (11 & 4) - Butler (12 & 4)
Gooden (15 & 9.5) - Smith
Kaman (19 & 9) - Camby

had just 29 wins.

Mo (15 & 6) - Bledsloe
Baron (13 & 7) - Gordon - Foye (10 & 3)
Gordon (23 & 5) - Gomes (8 & 3) - Butler
Griffin (23 & 12) - Aminu - Diogu - Smith
Kaman (13 & 7) - DJ (7, 7 & 2)

Had just 32 wins (much easier conference then too)

:)

Blitzbolt
07-28-2012, 11:22 PM
If we lose to the Clipps again in the first round and in 7 games I rather don't make the playoffs at all.

Toastyy
07-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Lakers 73 - 9

First Round sweep.

Second round sweep.

Conference Finals sweep.

Yes!

Vinny642
07-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Baron (15 & 8) - Telfair
Gordon (17, 3 & 3) - Davis
Thornton (11 & 4) - Butler (12 & 4)
Gooden (15 & 9.5) - Smith
Kaman (19 & 9) - Camby

had just 29 wins.

Mo (15 & 6) - Bledsloe
Baron (13 & 7) - Gordon - Foye (10 & 3)
Gordon (23 & 5) - Gomes (8 & 3) - Butler
Griffin (23 & 12) - Aminu - Diogu - Smith
Kaman (13 & 7) - DJ (7, 7 & 2)

Had just 32 wins (much easier conference then too)

:)

????

Potential33
07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
????

That team could be argued to better than a team with 2 rookies (one who looks selfishly overrated) and an injury prone player who isn't 100% wanting to be there.

Vasquez isnt going to be close to what mo was doing
Rivers will average similair to Baron with less assists but will take more shots to do so.
Gordon = Gordon
Davis (1st season could be anything, his defense will obviously be better than Blake's but he won't average 23 & 12 on offense)
Anderson will have similair if not worse numbers (and worse defense) than Kaman did.

FriedTofuz
07-29-2012, 03:10 AM
Oh gosh, not this again. Top 3 teams will be lakers, spurs, and thunder.

Rylz
07-29-2012, 05:33 AM
The Jazz just got 36 wins in a lockout shortened season, and have since upgraded at PG (Mo Williams over Devin Harris), SG (Randy Foye over Raja Bell), and SF (Marvin Williams over CJ Miles), without losing any major pieces in the process. Plus, they have four lottery picks from the last 3 years (Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks, and Enes Kanter) who are only going to get better, and the best players on the team, Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap (both 27), aren't old enough to start declining yet.
I realize that the west has just become a lot tougher, and the race for the last three spots in the playoffs should be very interesting (Denver, Dallas, Utah, Minnesota, Portland, Phoenix, and Golden State should all be in the running this year), but Utah's gotten better and will get at least .500 this season.

My prediction:
Thunder
Lakers
Spurs
Clippers
Grizzlies
Denver
Utah
Minnesota

Dallas will just barely miss out, and I think the changes in GS, Phoenix, and Portland will take a season before things finally click, but who knows? Anything could happen.

mbsalame123
07-29-2012, 06:27 AM
I like your predictions and you make good points for why you picked the Lakers over the thunder.
If you think about it, the Thunder might have regressed this year. They lost Derek Fisher and Nazr Mohammed and Perkins has injury problems.
I know fisher and Mohammed were not that important to the team but Mohammed gave the thunder a good 10 minutes off the bench, something that neither Cole Aldrich nor Hasheem Thabeet can do.
But Eric Maynor is back which is key and they drafted Perry Jones who will be a steal if he gets playing time. So the Thunder should still be favored.
I think if the lakers land Howard they will beat the thunder, but if they cant, then the Thunder still have the edge.
Here are my west predictions:

1. Okalahoma City Thunder
2. Los Angeles (without Dwight Howard)
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. San Antonio Spurs (I think they face some injuries this year and drop)
5. Denver Nuggets
6. Memphis Grizzlies (Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph dont fit well)
7. Dallas Mavericks (improved from last year but not a lot)
8. Minnesota Timberwolves
9. Phoenix Suns
10. Golden State Warriors
11. Utah Jazz
12. Houston Rockets
13. New Orleans Hornets
14. Portland Trailblazers
15. Sacramento Kings

I think the top 7 teams are a lock unless the Mavericks dont click and kaman face injuries.
But I like to look at the west and say that any team can take the 8th seed or even the 7th seed.
The Kings have actually improved from last season but they are too small with evans, thornton, and brooks and will face some on and off the court problems that will make them struggle.
As much as I like what the blazers did with drafting meyers leonard and damian lillard, they are not deep at all. they have a nice starting 5 but other than that they have nothing else.
They will be playing JJ Hickson (an unproven/inconsistant bigman) off the bench with 3 rookies off the bench (will barton, joel freeland, and victor claver), and they will be playing 2 young prospects who haven't lived up to their hype or are injury prone (luke babbit and nolan smith). That is not a good team at all but Lillard will compete for the rookie of the year award.
The Hornets will improve a lot from last year and if gordon is healthy they might be able to make some noise in the west. But the loss of Jack was a bit questionable and will give them struggles. But the additions of Robin Lopez and Ryan Anderson should really balance out their lineup.
And Anthony Davis is going to be an All Star next year.... mark my words!
This guy playing on team USA is going to have such a huge advantage that it will progress him 2-3 years ahead of every other rookie. But again their bench is questionable with Austin Rivers (who I think will struggle) leading the bench.

If the Houston Rockets trade for Dwight Howard or even trade for Andrew Byum in a 3 way trade with the lakers and magic, then they will immediately become a playoff team. But with the team they have right now, it is a little unbalanced and their are a lot of pieces that our out of place right now.
Yes they improved with Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik but they will be lost on the court with so many players needing playing time and distractions throughout the year with who will stay and who will not. But if this team pans out, I can see them becoming a very similar team to the Denver Nuggets, very deep and competitive.

The Utah Jazz came into the NBA last year as an underrated team and shocked some people and this year its going to be the same. I felt like they improved a lot from last year, adding a good point guard who is better then Devin Harris and adding a nice wing player in Marvin Williams. Plus Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, and Alec Burks will be 1 year older which means they will improve more. But they still have some question marks with their team. They seem to have a logjam down low, although I like the 4 man rotation with their bigs (the best bigman rotation in the nba), the jazz improved this year but other teams became better, and last year they got lucky with the wolves and rockets facing injuries.

The Warriors are improved and might have on of the top starting 5s in the NBA but a major concern for them will be their health. Stephan Curry and Andrew Bogut are injury prone and they are a young team that has question marks with their bench and all of that. But if they can resign brandon rush and sign kenyon martin or carl landry (or both), then they will be a very deep team and will compete for a playoff spot.
But I got a feeling injuries will occur and they will struggle to stay competitive with what they have. Maybe next year.

The Phoenix Suns are an interesting team. Although they lost Steve Nash and Grant Hill, they might have improved and become better then last year. They did an amazing job in replacing Nash and with a younger version and former phoenix sun, goran dragic. Remember when Dragic was in phoenix, everyone started saying it might be time to trade nash because we have his replacement for when he retires or is traded.
They also went out there and got them a scorer in Michael Beasley. Now yes, michael beasley has switched teams like a 100 times already and has question marks surrounding him, but I think the Phoenix Suns front office sees something in him and he will mesh well with this young team.
Then they go out there and sign the most underrated player in the NBA, Luis Scola. He immediately forms the best international big man lineup in the game today and forms a dominant duo down low with Gortat and Scola.
Then they go out there and trade their young and unneeded big man Robin Lopez and get another wing that will fit well in this Suns fast pace offense, Wesley Johnson.
So now the suns have a bench of: Kendall Marshall, Wesley Johnson, Jared Dudley, Markieff Morris, and Channing Frye..... that is an amazing balanced out bench and add that to a startinf 5 of: goran dragic, shannon brown, michael beasley, luis scola, and marcin gortat and you have a rebuilding, competitive team.

The Wolves are going to be a fun team to watch. Kevin Love is going to be a top 5 player in the NBA next year and will dominate and Ricky Rubio will be a top 10 point guard if not better next year. This duo is building chemistry and have an amazing coach. They finally look like they are on the right track, getting rid of all of their headaches and adding veteran talent that is ready to win and compete. They went out their and signed Brandon Roy who if healthy can come off the bench or even start and give them 15 point a game on a daily basis.
They went out their and signed Andrei Kirilenko who will drastically improve their small forward spot. Now lets look at their bench.
They have jj barea, and luke ridnour coming off the bench at the guard positions, they have chase budinger coming off the bench at the wings poisition who is underrated and will bring energy off the bench. They also have Derrick Williams, Greg Stiemsma, and Anthony Tolliver if they resign him, plus Dante Cunningham to play down low.
This team is much improved and will become a playoff team next year.

Now my predictions for the playoffs:

thunder beat wolves 4-1
spurs beat nuggets 4-3
clippers beat grizzlies 4-2
lakers beat mavericks 4-2

thunder beat spurs 4-2
lakers beat clippers 4-2

thunder beat lakers 4-2
go on to take on the Miami Heat in a rematch and win the big 3 win their first NBA Championship.

Iceman_9
07-29-2012, 06:45 AM
is this with howard? if not, definitely the conference finals.. maybe the finals..

Potential33
07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I like your predictions and you make good points for why you picked the Lakers over the thunder.
If you think about it, the Thunder might have regressed this year. They lost Derek Fisher and Nazr Mohammed and Perkins has injury problems.
I know fisher and Mohammed were not that important to the team but Mohammed gave the thunder a good 10 minutes off the bench, something that neither Cole Aldrich nor Hasheem Thabeet can do.
But Eric Maynor is back which is key and they drafted Perry Jones who will be a steal if he gets playing time. So the Thunder should still be favored.
I think if the lakers land Howard they will beat the thunder, but if they cant, then the Thunder still have the edge.

You do make a good point here. The Thunder will progress with age and experience. However, i believe the key will come down to Kobe. He had a horrible year last year for his standards and if he learns to accept his role properly this year and let Nash take the reigns (the most experienced, best pg Kobe has ever played with) then the team could be a great success. Also add in the fact that the ease of the schedule that the Lakers have (9 back to back games, compared to say Phoenix 19 back to back games and OKC has 15 B2B's btw) and that will make a lot of difference (especially to the aging Kobe, Pau and Metta). Jamison could be real x-factor as well and Jordan Hill showed great potential off the bench last season racking up rebounds and showing touch on offense too. The main thing last season that i believe caused them too lose was a bad bench (arguably the worst in the league until they got Hill, was still bad then too) and Kobe taking too many shots while Pau and Bynum didn't get the touches they needed. With Nash in the system if Kobe leaves the ball-handling to him while he is on then Gasol and Bynum will flourish from Nash passing. If they double/triple Kobe which he has been facing all his career then Nash will no doubt knock down open shots as arguably the best shooter in the league. Either Kobe will have a little less pressure placed on him than in recent times which he will absolutely excel with even more.

14. Portland Trailblazers

I like your predictions here too. However, not too sure about Portland. Lillard looks like the real deal and with a team of Lillard, Wes M, Batum, LAM and Hickson they could move up a few spots ahead of NO and Houston (and possible GS/Utah ) i believe.

mdm692
07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Suns are definately in the playoffs, and Dallas is a maybe.

Amen.

Closer to the 45-48 win range.

Plus how great of a story would it be to see Suns vs Lakers in the 1st round. So many stories.

Dragic(former pupil) vs Nash(former teacher)
Brown(same as above) vs Kobe(same as above)
Scola vs Gasol. Who is the best skilled big man in the league.

mdm692
07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Hahaha

curry-jack
thompson-rush
barnes-jefferson
lee-landry/martin-tyler
bogut-ezeli-biedrins

=31 wins?

That really depends on the health of Curry and Bogut.

Punk
07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I think it should end up like this.
1. Oklahoma City
2. LA Lakers
3. Spurs
4. LA Clippers
5. Memphis
6. Denver
7. Minnesota
8. Dallas
__
9. Golden State
10. Utah
11. Phoenix
12. Portland
13. Sacramento
14. New Orleans
15. Houston

StarvingKnick22
07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
I think it should end up like this.
1. Oklahoma City
2. LA Lakers
3. Spurs
4. LA Clippers
5. Memphis
6. Denver
7. Minnesota
8. Dallas
__
9. Golden State
10. Utah
11. Phoenix
12. Portland
13. Sacramento
14. New Orleans
15. Houston Phoenix is definately a playoff team.

LA_Raiders
07-29-2012, 08:03 PM
An East Conference was done with a lot of debate. I am going to be put together a much tougher West Conference. Feel free to express your opinions. These are just my opinions and if you have any questions I'll try to justify why i had that certain team at that position and/or record.

Northwest:
OKC 56-26
Denver 47-35
Minnesota 45-37
Portland 40-42
Utah 39-43

Pacific:
Lakers 58-24
Clippers 49-35
Suns 41-41
Golden State 31-51
Sacramento 29-53

Southwest:
Spurs 52-30
Memphis 50-32
Dallas 47-35
Houston 38-44
New Orleans 28-54

Standings:
Lakers
OKC
Spurs
Memphis
Clippers
Denver
Dallas
Minnesota

Suns
Portland
Utah
Houston
Golden State
Sacramento
New Orleans

OKC v Dallas (OKC in 5)

OKC v Spurs (OKC in 5)

What are your opinions?

Agree

chitownredbulls
07-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Northwest:
OKC 56-26
Denver 47-35
Minnesota 45-37
Portland 40-42
Utah 39-43

Pacific:
Lakers 58-24
Clippers 49-35
Suns 41-41
Golden State 31-51
Sacramento 29-53

Southwest:
Spurs 52-30
Memphis 50-32
Dallas 47-35
Houston 38-44
New Orleans 28-54

Standings:
Lakers
OKC
Spurs
Memphis
Clippers
Denver
Dallas
Minnesota

Suns
Portland
Utah
Houston
Golden State
Sacramento
New Orleans

OKC v Dallas (OKC in 5)

OKC v Spurs (OKC in 5)

What are your opinions?

Agree..I don't think Minnesota and Dallas will make the playoffs....Minny will be without rubio for a while and dallas is not that good....TBH I see Sacramento and Golden State making the playoffs if healthy...just my opinion...Also, Lakers will not be number 1...Nash is good but OKC will be #1...Again,....just my opinion.......

MonroeFAN
07-29-2012, 08:12 PM

OKC was in the finals and lost to the most dominant player in the league. The Lakers needed to get better. Don't assume Nash and Jamison are going to put you over the top. It's an enticing team, I think they will beat the Spurs. I don't see them beating OKC.

I also see Dallas as being a 50 win team.

chipurmunki
07-30-2012, 10:17 PM
phoenix is NOT a playoff team.

1-thunder
2-spurs
3-lakers
4-jazz
5-clippers
6-grizz
7-mavs
8-twolves

Blitzbolt
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM

1-thunder
2-spurs
3-lakers
4-jazz
5-clippers
6-grizz
7-mavs
8-twolves

I know your a Jazz fan but I think Denver is better then the Jazz maybe the or 7th seat.

Blitzbolt
07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
6. Memphis Grizzlies (Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph dont fit well)

Alot of people keep saying this but my question is how do you know they don't fit well when they never played together?.They have played 39 games together in 2 years.The Grizzlies did not trade Rudy or ZBO because they want to see how they play together if they both stay healthy.

chipurmunki
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I know your a Jazz fan but I think Denver is better then the Jazz maybe the or 7th seat.

rofl. ok.

NoahH
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
GSW 31-51??? GTFO not with that team.:facepalm:Only if they are completely destroyed by injuries

NoahH
07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Amen.

Closer to the 45-48 win range.

Plus how great of a story would it be to see Suns vs Lakers in the 1st round. So many stories.

Dragic(former pupil) vs Nash(former teacher)
Brown(same as above) vs Kobe(same as above)
Scola vs Gasol. Who is the best skilled big man in the league.

:facepalm:

tp13baby
07-31-2012, 05:47 PM

1-thunder
2-spurs
3-lakers
4-jazz
5-clippers
6-grizz
7-mavs
8-twolves

Denver won't be worse than a 6 seed.

People don't realize all the injuries they had last year with Gallo, Chandler, Ty Lawson. Again we are young, didn't lose anyone we are only getting better. Your a Jazz homer.

OKC
LAL
Clippers
Spurs
Denver
Memphis
Mavs
Golden State

BGates29
07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Clippers will win more than 49 games and GS 31-51 ur basketball knowledge is trash.Sacramento should be a little better also

Potential33
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Clippers will win more than 49 games and GS 31-51 ur basketball knowledge is trash.Sacramento should be a little better also

Read the bottom of the first page... Add in the fact that was before landry too, before you start criticizing.