PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the 2008 NBA draft

Rocco007
07-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Collegehoopsnet had this projected assessment of all 7 of their grading levels as it corelates to the potential of some players in that draft class...It's always fun looking back...But damn, most glaring.... how it's easy to forget how highly regarded Beasley was and how badly Westbrook was under-rated... :speechless:

CHN's Six-Star Ranking System w/ 2008 Equivalents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Superstar/All-NBA Potential - Michael Beasley

= Potential NBA All-Star - Derrick Rose

= Consistent NBA Starter - Brook Lopez

= 6th Man/Fringe Starter - Russell Westbrook

= Career Reserve - Roy Hibbert

= Fringe NBA Player/12th Man - JR Giddens

0 stars = Life in the Minor Leagues - Drew Neitzel

Huntey
07-28-2012, 06:54 AM
After the season Beasley had in college it's understandable to think he was going to be a super-star.

seikou8
07-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Collegehoopsnet had this projected asssessment of all 7 of their grading levels as it corelates to the potential of some players in that draft class...It's always fun looking back...But damn, most glaring.... how it's easy to forget how highly regarded Beasley was and how badly Westbrook was under-rated... :speechless:

CHN's Six-Star Ranking System w/ 2008 Equivalents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Superstar/All-NBA Potential - Michael Beasley al potential no work ethic or heart

= Potential NBA All-Star - Derrick Rose superstar

= Consistent NBA Starter - Brook Lopez nba starter

= 6th Man/Fringe Starter - Russell Westbrook all-star

= Career Reserve - Roy Hibbert he is top 10 big man

= Fringe NBA Player/12th Man - JR Giddens yup

0 stars = Life in the Minor Leagues - Drew Neitzel they were wrong some

waveycrockett
07-28-2012, 07:10 AM
they were wrong on most

You dont think Brook Lopez is a solid starter? lol. He finished 2nd in Roy voting behind Rose that year and is a career 17/7/1.6 and 50%fg

seikou8
07-28-2012, 07:14 AM
You dont think Brook Lopez is a solid starter? lol. He finished 2nd in Roy voting behind Rose that year and is a career 17/7/1.6 and 50%fg

no your right brook lopez is top 10 center when healthy i meant on russell, derrick,hibbert and beasley.

Aust
07-28-2012, 07:48 AM

Why do you think he was specifically talking about Lopez?? :eyebrow:

waveycrockett
07-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Why do you think he was specifically talking about Lopez?? :eyebrow:

Because I thought he was only posting on what the guy whiffed on which was EVERYTHING else.

StarvingKnick22
07-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Because I thought he was only posting on what the guy whiffed on which was EVERYTHING else. man he wasnt trolling though. And out of all that, you only payed attention at LOPEZ's rating?

IndyRealist
07-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Most mocks look really bad 4 years later. Heck, the actually DRAFT usually looks bad 4 years later. Beasley and Mayo over Westbrook and Love. Gallinari over Eric Gordon. Brook Lopez at #10, Roy HIbbert at #17, JaVale McGee at #18, Ryan Anderson at #21, Serge Ibaka at #24, Nic Batum at #25, George Hill at #26.

Other fringe guys like Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, and Alexis Ajinca, all in the top 20. Joe Alexander was #8 and he's not in the league anymore.

It's the same moral every year, the majority people who make a living evaluating these players, NBA execs and scouting websites, aren't very good at their jobs. This is not to discredit the professional NBA scout, I have the highest respect for them. But they actually get very little say in the decision making process. Which is silly, because they're the ones actually doing the research and watching the games.

Baller1
07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Westbrook and Ibaka in that one draft alone. Presti is a ****ing genius.

BHF
07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
2008 draft was rigged

I Rock Shaqs
07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
2008 draft was rigged

Yupp, every draft is.

LakersIn5
07-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Westbrook and Ibaka in that one draft alone. Presti is a ****ing genius.

and lucky

N3TS
07-28-2012, 02:11 PM
They were really wrong about Westbrook and Hibbert.

nicegoing
07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Literally every draft has players who turn out to be better than people thought on draft day.

THE MTL
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM

no your right brook lopez is top 10 center when healthy i meant on russell, derrick,hibbert and beasley.

I wouldnt say they were wrong on Rose. I mean he is an nba allstar. Wht do u want them to call him the nxt magic or a superstar starbury?

And russell's value was low until the wrkouts started and he actually skyrocketed to 4th at his draft position. He was actually the knicks top target.

seikou8
07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
]I wouldnt say they were wrong on Rose. I mean he is an nba allstar. Wht do u want them to call him the nxt magic or a superstar starbury?[/B]
And russell's value was low until the wrkouts started and he actually skyrocketed to 4th at his draft position. He was actually the knicks top target.

nba superstar thats what i meant

Fnom11
07-28-2012, 03:13 PM
and lucky

More like all luck.