PDA

View Full Version : 90s Playoffs Super Mario Conference: 2. Shanghai vs 3. Minneapolis

NYKalltheway
07-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the 90s redraft from the Knicks forum. This game involves players who have featured at any game between 1989-90 season until 1999-2000 season and players should be judged on their primes and not their 90s career.

Shanghai

PG MOOKIE BLAYLOCK / DANA BARROS
SG DENNIS JOHNSON / HUBERT DAVIS / SARUNAS MARCIULIONIS
SF RON ARTEST / ERIC PIATKOWSKI
PF CHRISTIAN LAETTNER / ORLANDO WOOLRIDGE / JR REID
C DAVID ROBINSON / ROY TARPLEY

You can find here (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=22520461&postcount=3) about this team's players.

The Shanghai Sensei team is an incredibly balanced team, with probably the best perimeter defense and a top class post defense while everyone on the starting five can score double digits any given night.
David Robinson is who is considered the focal point of the team, the defensive anchor and offensive Admiral. All starting five are very good defensive players at least, while everyone but Laettner were once considered best defender at their position at some point in their career.

The starting lineup itself is almost perfect, but what it lacks is consistent perimeter shooting. While Artest and Blaylock are pretty good shooters, this is where Dana Barros, Hubert Davis and Eric Piatkowski come to action. All three are top 20 shooters in the history of NBA % wise, while Hubert Davis actually is 2nd of all time (pending Steph Curry's career who at the moment is 2nd but % has a high chance to drop).

Marciulionis was a great guard back in the day who could also hit the three.
Bench is completed with brilliant scorer Orlando Woolridge, energetic PF J.R Reid and Tim Duncan before the actual Tim Duncan, Roy Tarpley (who ruined his what could have been a brilliant career due to drugs relatively early in his NBA life).

Minneapolis strong point is the Duncan-Price duo that can cause a lot of problems to any team but I'm confident that my overwhelming defense will not allow Mark Price to be as good as he can with the ball in his hands.

Minneapolis is only stronger at the PF position and while Mark Price is more talented than Blaylock offensively, Mookie's defense would affect Price's offensive ability.

Shanghai has better defense in every position except the PF and also has better shooting overall, both 3pt and midrange. Price, Hamilton and Sczerbiak were excellent shooters but Barros, Piatkwoski, Davis, Blaylock and even Artest were great as well.

A huge weakness in the Minneapolis bench is that they lack someone who can make a difference off the bench. Shanghai's Orlando Woolridge was a terrific scorer and the manpower that can hit the 3 off the bench is lethal. Suffocating defense will also cause more fatigue to the Minneapolis starters which means that the Shanghai players will be more energized come 4th quarter.

Minneapolis

PG: Mark Price/Damon Stoudamire/Malik Rose
SG: Richard Hamilton/Wally Szczerbiak
SF: Mark Aguirre/Pat Garrity
PF: Tim Duncan/Joe Smith/Bo Outlaw
C: Joe Carroll/James Edwards

Chavacano
07-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Shanghai. Someone sticky all these re-draft threads.

phlp_bj
07-28-2012, 10:18 AM
you't cant sticky individual playoff game threads. you can only sticky the redraft finals thread

sloangrcq
07-28-2012, 10:25 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1you't cant sticky individual playoff game threads. you can only sticky the redraft finals thread
you can only sticky the redraft finals thread.

Chavacano
07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
you't cant sticky individual playoff game threads. you can only sticky the redraft finals thread

Well, that just simply sucks. :sigh:

NYKalltheway
07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
so just 2 votes while the other matchups have around 10? :shrug: come on guys

KnicksorBust
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Roy Tarpley was Tim Duncan before Tim Duncan. :rolleyes: G

Shanghai has no shooters and none of their guards can consistently produce their own shot. I've always loved Mark Price and I think that he-Rip-Aguirre seem like a perfect fit. Price a pass-first PG who operates from the perimeter, Rip kills from the mid-range and can step out, and Aguirre creating mismatches down low. Plus Duncan is the ultimate teammate who would work well on anyteam. I see him outplaying Robinson here and that being the difference.

Sidenote: Aguirre battling Artest on the low block would be a ****ing war. What a fun series.

PatsSoxKnicks
07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Shanghai has the best defense in this re-draft but despite that, I don't really like their offense much. I love the Admiral and he was a great start to the draft but I don't see enough shooters in the starting 5 and while having shooters on the bench is all good and dandy, how many minutes do guys like Barros, Hubert and Eric get? Not enough I think.

Also, who is Shanghai's #2 option? When the Admiral gets doubled, who takes advantage?

I think this would be a great series and Shanghai's defense could definitely squeak it out but I just like Minneapolis' balance a bit more. One thing that would be kind of fun to see is I would imagine that a lot of the game would be spent with Admiral and Duncan on each other.

PatsSoxKnicks
07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
vote!

NYKalltheway
07-29-2012, 09:57 AM
more votes please. Preferrably for my team :D

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Bump

King41
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
i will go with shanghai like the robinson/laettner tandem

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Roy Tarpley was Tim Duncan before Tim Duncan. :rolleyes: G

Ever seen him play or at least read his scouting reports? He was considered the next McHale but apparently he was picked in the cursed 86 draft. Monster of a player with great post game, rebounding, he could hit the midrange and even dribble up the court if needed.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Ever seen him play or at least read his scouting reports? He was considered the next McHale but apparently he was picked in the cursed 86 draft. Monster of a player with great post game, rebounding, he could hit the midrange and even dribble up the court if needed.

Actually yeah I did see him play and to compare him to Duncan is absurd and a ridiculous way to try and sway voters. Tim Duncan was a #1 overall pick who came in and dominated immediately. His rookie season was better than any Tarpley put up in his whole 0x all-star career. To just throw around the name of a legend and slap it on a guy like Tarpley is pitiful.

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Depends if you saw him in his first tenure or his 2nd then i guess... guy was incredibly efficient and its not about freaking numbers. His style of play was similar and was even more complete, just not as successful a career of course which is why Duncan will be a basketball legend and Tarpley just a great player from the Greek league who could have been a superstar in the NBA in the 90s.
And since we are talking primes and peaks here, Tarpley should be very high rated.

juggla53
07-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Depends if you saw him in his first tenure or his 2nd then i guess... guy was incredibly efficient and its not about freaking numbers. His style of play was similar and was even more complete, just not as successful a career of course which is why Duncan will be a basketball legend and Tarpley just a great player from the Greek league who could have been a superstar in the NBA in the 90s.
And since we are talking primes and peaks here, Tarpley should be very high rated.

care to back up that statement at all?

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
he had more range and could dribble up and down the court :shrug: more complete doesnt translate to better. Iggy for example is one of the most complete players but he's not even top 20 (or barely is for some)

juggla53
07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
he had more range and could dribble up and down the court :shrug: more complete doesnt translate to better. Iggy for example is one of the most complete players but he's not even top 20 (or barely is for some)

okay but he was a worse rebounder, all around scorer, shot blocker, and defender so because he had more range he was more complete? if thats the case then rashard lewis is more complete too, besides the guy was a walking injury

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
You're comparing him with Tim Duncan who is the ceiling, im comparing him with the average pf/c. Im merely stating the fact that this guy could score, defend, rebound, was a versatile offensive player and did things on the court that dont appear on a boxscore. And he had a more all round game than TD, just not as polished of course