PDA

View Full Version : 90s Playoffs Super Mario Conference: 1. Wollongong vs 5. Toronto

NYKalltheway
07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Welcome to the 90s redraft from the Knicks forum. This game involves players who have featured at any game between 1989-90 season until 1999-2000 season and players should be judged on their primes and not their 90s career.

Wollongong

PG: Penny Hardaway/Derek Fisher/Alvin Williams
SG: Michael Jordan/Penny Hardaway
SF: Tyrone Corbin/Keith Van Horn/Devean George
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Thurl Bailey
C: Ben Wallace/Rasho Nesterovic

First I'd like to congradulate my opponent for making it this far and wish him good luck.

We feel very confident our team would beat them fairly easily because of the numerous advantages we have.

While their back court is really nice our back court is just infinitely better. A duo of Penny+MJ is just such an amazing fit there is simply not much to say.
The duo offers strong defense, great height, atleticism and offensively fit each other nicely.

Penny is more than capable of picking up the slack offensively for MJ if MJ gets doubled which makes our offense that much scarier.

At SF he has Glen Rice and we countered by started the defensive maching Tyrone Corbin. In their offense Rice is going to be mainly a spot up shooter because he was known for his great shooting and with Corbins great speed and length he'll be able to keep Rice contained and refrain him from getting open looks because from 1-5 we have great man to man defenders that can keep their opponents in front of them.

In the front court we have an amazing duo that won a title together and did so going up against guys like Shaq, Timmy D, KG and containing them either defensively or offensively. Which is why we reunited them with their great chemistry and because them with MJ up top is like heaven defensively and very hard for teams to have an advantage over us.

Horace Grant's great years came playing alongside MJ-Pippen and we feel on the Toronto team he doesn't have compliments such as that defensively to make him a driving force like he was when he helped the bulls team win a championship in the early 90's.

Their main force basically on offense would be to rely on Hakeem down low which is alleviated because Ben has the strength to keep Hakeem from bodying him and since Grant isn't capable of stretching the floor consistantly, if ever needed he has Rasheed to come from the weakside to cause some turnovers because with the players we have rotation would be smooth and quick.

We also have a very very balanced bench with D-fish who brings clutch shooting and amazing defense at the 1 and 2 spots and Keith Van Horn who can play the 2 or 3 and can rebound and score points in a hurry if needed.

We also have Thuryl Bailey and Rasho down low who during their teams were GREAT glue guys who were solid defensively to. This is proven by the fact Rasho played alongside Timmy D during their title runs and made that interior defense scarey.

Toronto

Starting 5:

PG: Stephon Marbury
SG: Drazen Petrovic
SF: Glen Rice
PF: Horace Grant
C: Hakeen Olajuwon

Bench:

PG: Darrel Armstrong
SG: Anthony Parker
SF: Chuck Person
PF: Clarence Weatherspoon (Baby Barkley)
C: Gheorge Muresan

11th man: Sedale Threatt
12th man: Tony Smith

NYKalltheway
07-28-2012, 06:31 AM
with a better, less selfish PG I could have gone for Toronto here

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Petrovic<3 :(

Could of been one of the greats.

Chavacano
07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Wollongong. Someone sticky this thread too.

PatsSoxKnicks
07-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Toronto fits together so much better. And I only say this because for whatever reason, Wollongong decided to switch Penny to PG instead of SF and move Fisher to the bench. Had they started Fisher at PG, and Penny at SF, I'd have no issue in terms of fit with their team.

In any case, they're way more talented and between Ben and Rasheed, they could slow down Hakeem a bit. The fit issue is not enough here to cause me to vote for Toronto and unlike Bristol, they could simply fix their fit issue by starting Fisher.

KnicksorBust
07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Wollongong. MJ and Penny would have a field day in this series. Not much to say.

juggla53
07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
whoever put the wollongong team together did a really nice job, i understand building a team around MJ isnt the most difficult thing to do but i love the ben/sheed frontcourt because of bens ability to completely dominate a game without scoring a basket and sheed being one of the most versatile big men of the last 15 years. Amazing team

Eagles4Lyfe
07-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks bra:)

Eagles4Lyfe
07-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Toronto fits together so much better. And I only say this because for whatever reason, Wollongong decided to switch Penny to PG instead of SF and move Fisher to the bench. Had they started Fisher at PG, and Penny at SF, I'd have no issue in terms of fit with their team.

In any case, they're way more talented and between Ben and Rasheed, they could slow down Hakeem a bit. The fit issue is not enough here to cause me to vote for Toronto and unlike Bristol, they could simply fix their fit issue by starting Fisher.

It was a tactical move.
Marbury likes to handle the ball a lot and I figured having Penny's speed and height defending him would be perfect to counter it and Corbin is no slouch defensively and since Rice loves shooting, I needed my man to man defenders in the lineup to match and keep up with that.

Rice would rarely get open looks this game and would have a tough time creating shots for himself with the pesky COrbin on him. With Corbin in the lineup the defense from 1-5 is a tad better and has tons of height to it too.

MTar786
07-28-2012, 09:04 PM
if it was all these players in their primes id go wologong. but ima go with toronto based on the fact that ben wallace was a nobody in the 90's and sheed was only really good in 00

where as prime hakeem, prime horace grant prime glen rice and prime petrovic were all AMAZING

PatsSoxKnicks
07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
It was a tactical move.
Marbury likes to handle the ball a lot and I figured having Penny's speed and height defending him would be perfect to counter it and Corbin is no slouch defensively and since Rice loves shooting, I needed my man to man defenders in the lineup to match and keep up with that.

Rice would rarely get open looks this game and would have a tough time creating shots for himself with the pesky COrbin on him. With Corbin in the lineup the defense from 1-5 is a tad better and has tons of height to it too.

It's not like Fisher is a slouch defensively and you made that move because you were worried about Stephon Marbury beating you? Sounds kind of ridiculous doesn't it?

It's not like Penny on Rice is a bad mismatch or anything and your team ends up fitting together better. Corbin can't shoot the 3 ball so who among your starters can shoot the 3 and space the floor for MJ/Penny? Also, its not like you're putting an all-defensive defender on Rice so that makes the move even less worth it. I just don't see the point to that cause it makes your team fit together worse and with no floor spacers among your starting 5, it makes it easier to pack the paint and double.

This obviously isn't an issue in this matchup cause you matchup well against Hakeem but do that in another matchup, and I could see a reasonable case to be made for MJ's team losing.

PatsSoxKnicks
07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
if it was all these players in their primes id go wologong. but ima go with toronto based on the fact that ben wallace was a nobody in the 90's and sheed was only really good in 00

where as prime hakeem, prime horace grant prime glen rice and prime petrovic were all AMAZING

its everyone in their primes so ben wallace and sheed are considered to be in their primes

TO Rapz
07-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Congrats to Eagles & Saddler for making it as a 1 seed with the #1 pick you guys did a great job. This is a great matchup IMO, I'm still learning since I'm 17 about the history of the NBA, and my co hasn't been around for almost 3 months which is why I don't have a write up. Either way, good luck to you guys.

MTar786
07-28-2012, 10:10 PM
its everyone in their primes so ben wallace and sheed are considered to be in their primes

oh then i dont vote for toronto lol

Fly
07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Wollongong, holy **** that team is masterful.

Eagles4Lyfe
07-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Congrats to Eagles & Saddler for making it as a 1 seed with the #1 pick you guys did a great job. This is a great matchup IMO, I'm still learning since I'm 17 about the history of the NBA, and my co hasn't been around for almost 3 months which is why I don't have a write up. Either way, good luck to you guys.

lol It was me and aussieNOH.

N ya man like i said in the write up good luck..

TO Rapz
07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
lol It was me and aussieNOH.

N ya man like i said in the write up good luck..

:laugh: My bad Aussie. I thought it was you and Saddler.

aussie
07-29-2012, 12:22 AM
haha all good, i got it then recruited eagles to help out (: done a great job

Ebbs
07-29-2012, 02:54 AM
honestly toughest matchup I've seen thus far.

NYKalltheway
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Bump

King41
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
wollongong
jordan/penny with 2x wallace crazy defense
but toronto is not bad

Sadds The Gr8
07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
huh? im not in this game lol