PDA

View Full Version : Disregarding injuries, construct an Olympic team to take down the Dream Team.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2012, 02:03 AM
The Olympics in basketball are a joke; nobody ever stood a chance against the U.S., unless it had a complete psychological meltdown. The more interesting plot line is whether 2012 could have been better than 1992. Obviously the current 2012 roster can't after losing Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin and Dwayne Wade to injuries. Even with those guys, I don't think the U.S. constructed the best possible team. How would you construct your Dream Team to compete with 1992? Here's a team I think would truly have the experience, size, skill set and talent to compete with the original Dream Team.

1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Chris Paul (27)
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Derrick Rose (23)
G - Michael Jordan (29) vs. Kobe Bryant (33)
G - Clyde Drexler (30) vs. Dwayne Wade (30)
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Carmelo Anthony (28)
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. LeBron James (27)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Amare Stoudemire (29)
F - Christian Laettner (22) vs. Kevin Love (23)
F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Blake Griffin (23)
C - Patrick Ewing (29) vs. Andrew Bynum (24)
C - David Robinson (26) vs. Dwight Howard (26)

ombada
07-28-2012, 02:13 AM
i pretty much agree with your roster. maybe someone else in place of Amare and/or Bynum.

b@llhog24
07-28-2012, 02:15 AM
The Olympics in basketball are a joke; nobody ever stood a chance against the U.S., unless it had a complete psychological meltdown. The more interesting plot line is whether 2012 could have been better than 1992. Obviously the current 2012 roster can't after losing Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin and Dwayne Wade to injuries. Even with those guys, I don't think the U.S. constructed the best possible team. How would you construct your Dream Team to compete with 1992? Here's a team I think would truly have the experience, size, skill set and talent to compete with the original Dream Team.

1992 vs. 2012:
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Dwill
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Kevin Durant

Those guys.

ombada
07-28-2012, 02:15 AM
Bosh or Aldridge to replace Amare and Bynum or Hibbert to back up Howard.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2012, 02:16 AM
i pretty much agree with your roster. maybe someone else in place of Amare and/or Bynum.

I contemplated replacing Andrew Bynum with Amare Stoudemire, and putting Josh Smith in at power forward. Smith doesn't get much respect, but I think he'd add a needed defensive toughness to Team USA.

mrblisterdundee
07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Those guys.

You'd honestly replace Derrick Rose with Deron Williams?

naps
07-28-2012, 02:21 AM
1992 vs. 2012:
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Deron Williams (28)
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Kevin Durant (23)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Chris Bosh (27)

This team.

LOVE42
07-28-2012, 02:22 AM
No Kevin Durant? I would take KD over Amare, Carmelo, or Love any day.

Underdogz∞
07-28-2012, 02:29 AM

1992 vs. 2012:

You nailed it man I got nothing to say other than Durant and Deron Will would have to be on serious high alert standby. And DRose only based off pre-injury if he has lost any of what he had I mean one ounce then DWill gets the go! Same with Carmelo or Amare two mistakes and Durant takes either spot. But its hard to argue with what you have here.
No matter what he does Blake Griffin has to stay because of his intimidating dunks and Love's size and rebounds keeps him on the team same with bynum
but the rest are pretty much untouchable.

THE MTL
07-28-2012, 02:30 AM
For those keeping carmelo off the teams clearly do not watch olympic basketball.

Underdogz∞
07-28-2012, 02:37 AM
For those keeping carmelo off the teams clearly do not watch olympic basketball.

What makes you say that MTL :rolleyes:

jayjay33
07-28-2012, 02:44 AM
1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Deron willams
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Chris paul

F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Carmleo Anthony

F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Al

To me its this team. I think everybody can at least handle and in some cases out play there 92 counter part.

zB_#85
07-28-2012, 02:51 AM

1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Rondo
G - Clyde Drexler (30) vs. Westbrook
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Durant
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. Iguodala
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. LeBron James (27)
Larry Bird vs. Josh Smith

Rondo stronger and more athletic than CP3 a better match up to slow Magic

Westbrook athletic and strong enough to play the bigger guy in Drexler, again booting CP3 out.

Durant must be on the team, enough said.

Iggy a modern day Pippen, best thing we'd have to match up except LeBron, who I moved to guard Barkley.

Barkley in 92 was an athletic, strong, physical, and talented player. Best match up of all would be watching Chuck and Bron go at it. Chuck led that 92 team in scoring also which most don't realize.

You left out Bird. He was old and hurt so I add Smoove as a match up b/c he is versatile enough he could also be cross matched with Barkley or Malone.

zB_#85
07-28-2012, 02:53 AM

This isn't about watching current olympic basketball homer, this is about beating that 92 team...

Scooby-Doo
07-28-2012, 02:54 AM
Whoever doesn't think Amare was the most explosive forward on offense in the last 8 years (not including last season) is dumb.

elopez24MIAMI
07-28-2012, 02:55 AM
Pg Deron Williams vs Magic
Sg Dwyane Wade vs MJ
Sf Kevin Durant vs Larry Bird
Pf Lebron James vs Charles Barkley
C. Dwight Howard Vs David Robinson

Bench
Chris Paul vs John Stockton
Kobe Bryant vs Clyde Drexler
Carmelo Anthony vs Scottie Pippen
LaMarcus Aldrige vs Karl Malone
Chris Bosh vs Patrick Ewing
Kevin Love vs Chris Mullen
Blake Griffen vs Christian Laettner

That's the new day dream team!!

elopez24MIAMI
07-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Btw drose is a great player all the respect in the world for him BUT Dwill is a much better all around player.

zB_#85
07-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Btw drose is a great player all the respect in the world for him BUT Dwill is a much better all around player.

:laugh2: best joke I heard all week. Thx I needed that one.

IIISSKiLL
07-28-2012, 03:03 AM
amar'e over bosh ? I DON'T THINK SO

elopez24MIAMI
07-28-2012, 03:10 AM
:laugh2: best joke I heard all week. Thx I needed that one.

Stats don't lie my man... Drose had one great over rated year... Dwill every year is consistent... Better jump shot better creater on the ball better defensively, drose finishes better around the basket that's about it stats don't lie

GREATNESS ONE
07-28-2012, 03:43 AM
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. CP3

G - John Stockton (30) vs. Derrick Rose

F/G - Karl Malone (29) vs. Deron Williams

raiderposting
07-28-2012, 03:56 AM
change amare to durant and kevin love to aldridge. i think that team will be just as good if not better offensively but much better all around in terms of team Defense.

AWC713
07-28-2012, 04:14 AM
If you open up the notion that 2012 can choose teams, than so should the 92 squad.

I'll take hmmm...Hakeem olajuwon instead of Christian laettner. Put him on Durant. I'd take out stockton for a more versatile pg...isiah, and tell mj and co to figure their **** out and win games.

92 team wouldn't lose.if and only if they could also add / subtract players as well

sp1derm00
07-28-2012, 04:42 AM
PG: Lebron
SG: Kobe
SF: Durant
PF: KG
C: Dwight

Reason being, it seems that our PG's aren't really needed in international play. They pretty much bring the ball up the court and aren't relied upon for playmaking. Too many stars and they all know how to pass.

SugeKnight
07-28-2012, 04:52 AM
If you open up the notion that 2012 can choose teams, than so should the 92 squad.

I'll take hmmm...Hakeem olajuwon instead of Christian laettner. Put him on Durant. I'd take out stockton for a more versatile pg...isiah, and tell mj and co to figure their **** out and win games.

92 team wouldn't lose.if and only if they could also add / subtract players as well

Olajuwon isn't American

S & B Bleeder
07-28-2012, 05:06 AM
NONE.

There isnt a roster since the original dream team that could even HOPE to compete with them.

See me in 10 more years, and maybe there will have been enough star power since that team to create one that would beat them. Maybe.

Kobe, LeBron, Duncan and Shaq all in thier primes are the ONLY 4 that are worthy of running against that original dream team. Period.

Unless you witnessed them, you CANNOT comprehend just how incredibly dominant they were, and how well oiled of a machine they truly were.

It was surprising when they DIDNT score....let that sink in for a minute. Truly a badass squad.

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 05:21 AM
i don't think there is any team right now they could construct that would beat the dream team in a 7 game series. i'll gladly take the dream team over any team you can construct today, & i'd do it with a big evil grin

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Olajuwon isn't American
he was on the 1996 usa team, so he must think so

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 05:26 AM

nah man let'em add & subtract all they want, you can only have 5 on the court at once, & i'd gladly take the dream team 5 over any 5 today, period

let the dream team keep their exact squad, that's absolutely fine by me

NYKalltheway
07-28-2012, 05:33 AM
you can't...

SugeKnight
07-28-2012, 05:41 AM
he was on the 1996 usa team, so he must think so

Hmm I wonder why he didn't play on the 92 team? Maybe its because he wasn't a citezen

bbcmillionaire
07-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Lol add young shaq

Dream team
Magic
Mj
Pippen
Whatever pf but let's say the dream at the 4
Shaq at the 5
This team would destroy the next 20 years of future talent

LJEATON26
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Lebron (Magic would post up on all the other PG's.
G - John Stockton (30) vs. CP3
G - Michael Jordan (29) vs. Wade
G - Clyde Drexler (30) vs. Westbrook
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Durant
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. Carmelo Anthony
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. LaMarcus Aldridge
F - Larry Bird vs. Kobe

GREATNESS ONE
07-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Olajuwon isn't American

:laugh2: this had me laughing

elledaddy
07-28-2012, 12:23 PM
WHY THE HELL IS PPL KEEPING BLAKE GRIFFIN ON HERE? He fukn sucks compared to the other fowards. Who cares that he can dunk

MELO 15
07-28-2012, 12:43 PM
No Kevin Durant? I would take KD over Amare, Carmelo, or Love any day.

If u watch the game, u see that durant lacks size, and defensively he hasn't done better than Melo.

Gibby
07-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Take off amare and put kd.

rickshaw
07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
You'd honestly replace Derrick Rose with Deron Williams?

For Olympic ball? Yes.

Same as OP except Durant and dwill in for melo and Rose. And Anthony Davis in for Blake. I think if the 92 took a college guy, so should this team. I think they hold their own on the wings and maybe even have an advantage because of age, but get taken care of inside, especially at PF.

dAngelo
07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
For Olympic ball? Yes.

Same as OP except Durant and dwill in for melo and Rose. And Anthony Davis in for Blake. I think if the 92 took a college guy, so should this team. I think they hold their own on the wings and maybe even have an advantage because of age, but get taken care of inside, especially at PF.

Why is it that people think the 92 team had old players? The only old guys in that team were Bird and Magic. Maybe Stockton, Ewing and Drexler if you consider 30yrs to be old however, they are still in their prime. I don't think age is a factor.

The OP's team had only 11 players so I'll add Davis(college kid) and swap Durant for Amare.

PG match up is a wash
SG/Sf match up is slightly in favor of the 2012 team(assuming lebron plays PF because 2012 team's wing rotation is deep enough without him)
Frontcourt overwhelming advantage for the original dream team even if you play lebron at the 4

I even let the 2012 team cheat by getting the best players available and they are still at a disadvantage. So what if the 92 team gets to choose the best players?
Shaq instead of laettner
Hakeem instead of Mullin
That's a DEEP frontcourt. No problem playing physically in fear of fouling out.

keetyweedy
07-28-2012, 01:44 PM

1992 vs. 2012:
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Rajon Rondo (26)
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Kevin Durant (23)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Carmelo Anthony (28)
F - Christian Laettner (22) vs. Lamarcus Aldridge(27)
F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Chris Bosh (28)

This...

1.I was really indecisive of Westbrook but I wanted distributing pg's & Rondo's defense is a little better than Westbrooks...

2.for the life of me I couldn't understand why Durant wasn't on this list...

3.Karl Malone would have eaten Blake Griffin for lunch, dinner & breakfast...

4.Kevin Love is good but he just hasn't proven enough for me so i put in my boy LA who can do a little more than just score and snag boards

crewfan13
07-28-2012, 02:11 PM
How has no one taken Duncan yet? I know he's old, but he's a good vet to matchup with the Dream Team's frontcourt. Sure the guys everyone mentioned would be better over the course of a season, but if its one game or one series, give me Duncan over pretty much any big mentioned, especially Blake Griffin.

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't think it is possible to construct a team with current players that could beat the original dream team in a seve-game series.

I know people will disagree with me, but the level that Drexler was playing at when he went into the Olympics was a higher level than what Wade and Kobe played this past season. And Drexler isn't even the best player at his position on that team, the best being obviously Jordan. At the PG spot the dream team had the two best PGs in the history of the game on that roster, so no two PGs from this generation would post better numbers than Magic and Stockton. As for Ewing and Robinson, let's put it this way, Hakeem, who wasn't even on the dream team, is better than any C in the league today, so if Hakeem wasn't even good enough to get on that roster, imagine how dominant the guys that did make the team would be. Ewing and Robinson would tear apart any two centers in the league today. And don't even get me started on the PF position. IF, and this is a big if, IF Duncan and Garnett were healthy and in their primes, they would be able to compete on a par with Malone and Barkley, but they aren't, and the PFs that are left to choose from are nowhere near the level which Malone and Barkley were at. So that leaves the SF position. LBJ, Durant and Melo make for a deeper SF rotation than the dream team had. That is the only position that I would give to this generation, but with that in mind, Mullen was a better shooter than anybody on the current Olympic team, and Pippen was an amazing defender, so even though the 2012 roster would win the SF position, it wouldn't be so dominant that it would compensate for losing at the other four positions, and if Larry Bird were in his prime instead of limping around because of a bad back, then he'd have been the best SF on the floor, even with LBJ on the court at the same time. Bird was a better shooter, rebounder and passer than LBJ is.

So yeah...I think the best you could do is come up with the best team that would keep the loss to single digits, because there is no way to put together a team of current players that could keep up with the original Dream Team. I mean, come on, they were the DREAM TEAM!

SlimKid
07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
This...

1.I was really indecisive of Westbrook but I wanted distributing pg's & Rondo's defense is a little better than Westbrooks...

2.for the life of me I couldn't understand why Durant wasn't on this list...

3.Karl Malone would have eaten Blake Griffin for lunch, dinner & breakfast...

4.Kevin Love is good but he just hasn't proven enough for me so i put in my boy LA who can do a little more than just score and snag boards

Not trying to bait or troll, just curious as to what LMA does a little more?

keetyweedy
07-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Not trying to bait or troll, just curious as to what LMA does a little more?

LA is a way better interior defender, unlike Love who pretty much lacks in the defense department

tredigs
07-28-2012, 02:45 PM
If u watch the game, u see that durant lacks size, and defensively he hasn't done better than Melo.

If you watch the game, you see that Durant was far and away the best player on the Gold medal winning FIBA team 2 years ago (and was awarded MVP of the tourney by a landslide), and has looked like the 2nd best player on this Dream Team.

Melo was the worst major player on Dream Team '08 - statistically and otherwise - and that has always been the case on every USA team he's played for. He's had 1 good game out of 5 exhibitions during this current run. Durant is a much, much better option and if given the choice between the two there is zero coaches in the NBA who would take Melo over KD (for Olympic ball or otherwise).

SlimKid
07-28-2012, 02:54 PM
LA is a way better interior defender, unlike Love who pretty much lacks in the defense department

meh, he might be a little better I guess, but neither is that great to make it a deciding factor imho.. doesn't matter though anyways, I was just curious.

3baller9
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
12 man roster:

PG - CP3/DWill
SG - Kobe/Wade
SF - LeBron/Durant/Melo
PF - KG/Bosh/Love
C - Howard/Bynum

Hero lineup:

PG - Wade
SG - Kobe
SF - Durant
PF - LeBron
C - Howard

OKC
07-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Paul,Rose,Dwill
Kobe,Wade,Westbrook
Durant,Melo,Lebron
Lebron,Love,Melo
Howard,Bynum,Love

this is the best line up possible.
but magic will have a huge height advantage over Paul, Rose or Dwill so maybe put Lebron in PG and Melo or Love in the starting PF

MrFastBreak
07-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Where is Shaq? Its hard to construct a team to match up with the likes of the infamous Chuck elbow. Thats where Dwight and Shaq come in at, but its not enough of those dominant guys to guard such a deep frontcourt.

MTar786
07-28-2012, 06:20 PM
1992 vs. 2008:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Chris Paul (23)
G - John Stockton (30) vs. deron williams
G - Michael Jordan (29) vs. Kobe Bryant (29)
G - Clyde Drexler (30) vs. Dwayne Wade (26)
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Carmelo Anthony (24)
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. LeBron James (23)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. durant
F - Christian Laettner (22) vs. Kevin Garnett
F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Tmac
C - Patrick Ewing (29) vs. Duncan
C - David Robinson (26) vs. Dwight Howard (22)

if they constructed the 08 team like this. i would have taken this 08 teams chances with the dream team. it all still comes down to the weakness at C

cp3/dwill
kobe/wade/tmac
lebron/melo/durant
garnett/duncan
duncan/dwight/garnett

this team is INSANE and def could beat the dream team

Losoway
07-28-2012, 06:29 PM
1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Kobe Bryant
G - Michael Jordan (29) vs. Lebron james
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. Iggy
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Kevin durant
C - Patrick Ewing (29) vs. Amare Stoudemire

Losoway
07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
honestly i feel this Usa Team is like 2 players away from beating the dream team .

Garnet / Duncan/ dwight

all would help put the nail in the coffin

the dream team would never destory this usa team like people are making it seem

Vee-Rex
07-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry but Drexler would take Wade to the hole. Wade couldn't guard him. And Wade right now would have to be hot to fill it up on Clyde. Wade isn't the same as he used to be offensively, and his previous injuries play a big role in that.

Lebron couldn't guard Jordan, and Jordan wouldn't be able to guard Lebron. But I think Jordan would make Lebron work so hard on defense that he wouldn't be as effective on offense. Back then, Jordan would always demand to guard the best player on the opposing team (like Kobe), and there was none of that "we don't want you to work on defense so you can be great on offense" nonsense.

KD and Lebron would be an absolute nightmare for the Dream Team. If they are able to light it up then they got a really good shot at beating them.

Please please do not put Amare on Ewing. I would say that would be the biggest mismatch ever if you didn't put Blake Griffin on The Mailman. Ewing would shut down Amare, yeah I said it. While schooling him on the offensive end.

Blake would be lost trying to guard Malone.

The Dream Team obviously has the advantage in the paint even with D12 on the 2012 team. They would do very well with Stockton and Jordan in the backcourt, but the 2012 team at SF and flex forward would have the advantage. I give the win to the Dream Team even though the Durant/Lebron combination would be deadly.

Jordan would be unguardable and Barkley had such crazy talent that I think they would be able to keep up when it comes to athleticism.

Vee-Rex
07-28-2012, 06:45 PM
honestly i feel this Usa Team is like 2 players away from beating the dream team .

Garnet / Duncan/ dwight

all would help put the nail in the coffin

the dream team would never destory this usa team like people are making it seem

That's the problem, you are including different eras. If you want to give the US team a prime Garnet/Duncan then let's give the dream team a prime Magic, Bird, a prime Shaq, Olajuwon and take out Mullin/Laetner.

If the Dream team had a prime Magic/Bird along with a prime Shaq and Olajuwon the 2012 would stand no chance.

SugeKnight
07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
If you watch the game, you see that Durant was far and away the best player on the Gold medal winning FIBA team 2 years ago (and was awarded MVP of the tourney by a landslide), and has looked like the 2nd best player on this Dream Team.

Melo was the worst major player on Dream Team '08 - statistically and otherwise - and that has always been the case on every USA team he's played for. He's had 1 good game out of 5 exhibitions during this current run. Durant is a much, much better option and if given the choice between the two there is zero coaches in the NBA who would take Melo over KD (for Olympic ball or otherwise).

Melo has been great in International ball IMO. You have to have both of them on the squad

blazerman
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM
1992 vs. 2012:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Deron willams
G - John Stockton (30) vs. Chris paul

F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Al

To me its this team. I think everybody can at least handle and in some cases out play there 92 counter part.

Magic would have abused CP3 in a big way, Jordan at 29 was unstoppable and would have worked Kobe, nobody on that team could have slowed Stockton to Malone(Malone was more powerful than LeBron, LeBron a beast but Malone had some serious strength, dude benched like 500lbs.
Ewing would have worked Bynum, Pippen and Barkley were both as aggresive and relentless as at both ends as Lebron (Amare and Carmelo would have easily been out played by either. David Robinson is probably a little better than Howard due to good FT shooter, can shoot the J effectively and as Howard would have had to come out to defend him the Admiral could easily put the ball on the floor and blow by him and Robinson was a stout defender as well and an excellent shot blocker and could run the floor as good or better than Howard.

Clyde and DWade are both really similar but again Drexler was much bigger and stronger and just as fast if not faster but DWade is also a smart player and wouild have made this matchup even.

Love would have worked Laettner like a bad habit.

Now everybody says barring injury and subs, well imagine if Larry Bird(Bird was only 33 or 34) was completely healthy and team USA went with Shaq instead of Laettner. Lights out, Larry was cold blooded as they get and Shaq was a beast when he was young.

Also 2012 doesnt have one guy in those matchups that is a better FT shooter than 92 unless 92 actually had shaq!

A healthy L Bird would have made the 92 team nearly impossible for the 2012 team to beat, imagine the passing game with Magic, Stockton,Bird, Jordan, Drexler and David Robinson.

Only bum on the 92 was Laettner, Melo, Bynum and Al are all very weak in comparison. replace Mullin with a healthy Larry Bird and KD is fouled out mid way through the 3rd or Carmelo!
LeBron would do the best (Laettner and Love wouldnt see their matchup because Laettner was a scrub)

blazerman
07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
That's the problem, you are including different eras. If you want to give the US team a prime Garnet/Duncan then let's give the dream team a prime Magic, Bird, a prime Shaq, Olajuwon and take out Mullin/Laetner.

If the Dream team had a prime Magic/Bird along with a prime Shaq and Olajuwon the 2012 would stand no chance.

agreed 100%, Olajuwon was a ten fold better than Howard, Bynum and Garnett combined. Jordan in 92 was unstoppable as they get, I witnessed that in the finals in Portland in person, nosebleed seats but hey it was still awesome but I still hate Jordan for torching the Blazers like he did.

KingPosey
07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Currently there is not a team that could win imo, when you take into account lack of quality big men, age for some guys, etc.

The Dream Team was that good. ANd the athleticism issue is no where near as big as people make it out to be. Some of these players have played with those guys. There isnt a huge time gap, and some of those guys are every bit as athletic as any player today.

blazerman
07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
1992 vs. 2008:
G - Magic Johnson (32) vs. Chris Paul (23)
G - John Stockton (30) vs. deron williams
G - Michael Jordan (29) vs. Kobe Bryant (29)
G - Clyde Drexler (30) vs. Dwayne Wade (26)
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. Carmelo Anthony (24)
F - Scottie Pippen (26) vs. LeBron James (23)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. durant
F - Christian Laettner (22) vs. Kevin Garnett
F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Tmac
C - Patrick Ewing (29) vs. Duncan
C - David Robinson (26) vs. Dwight Howard (22)

if they constructed the 08 team like this. i would have taken this 08 teams chances with the dream team. it all still comes down to the weakness at C

cp3/dwill
kobe/wade/tmac
lebron/melo/durant
garnett/duncan
duncan/dwight/garnett

this team is INSANE and def could beat the dream team

Magic would post up CP3 or DWill all game long and would score at will. Magic and Stockton were only the best passers of alltime, Jordan is still the GOAT, (a healthy Larry Bird is as deadly a shooter as you get and was easily one of the best passers ever at SF).

Id say if you wanted to add those guys to the team, how about the 92 having Reggie Miller, and Olajuwon and a healthy Bird. 92 would have been able to toy with 2012 by halftime with the above players added on both sides, Malone would have had 60 plus against Tmac with Stockton/Magic and Bird kickin him the ball.

Tmac's name should never be said in this debate again

0nekhmer
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM
from the OP i'd take out Griffen, Amare. Replace with Love, and KG/Pau Gasol.

MrFastBreak
07-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Magic would post up CP3 or DWill all game long and would score at will. Magic and Stockton were only the best passers of alltime, Jordan is still the GOAT, (a healthy Larry Bird is as deadly a shooter as you get and was easily one of the best passers ever at SF).

Id say if you wanted to add those guys to the team, how about the 92 having Reggie Miller, and Olajuwon and a healthy Bird. 92 would have been able to toy with 2012 by halftime with the above players added on both sides, Malone would have had 60 plus against Tmac with Stockton/Magic and Bird kickin him the ball.

Tmac's name should never be said in this debate again

Why not, with all injuries aside?

Raye
07-29-2012, 04:51 AM

Why would you add a prime shaq to the dream team if by the 1992 olympics Shaq had just been drafted and hasn't even played an nba game yet. :eyebrow:

RUN DMC 20
07-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Even though Duncan is old i think would want him on my team to compete against the 92 Dream Team

knickfan33
07-29-2012, 05:55 AM
i think this question comes down more to what age the players were rather then who was on the team depth wise... it really comes down to best 7-9 players and are they in there prime.
also, basketball players from the dream team era absolutely get the edge in my book in toughness, are the refs calling the game the way they do now or the way they did then?
i would take the early 90's guys over todays players just based on toughness and desire to win, i feel like todays players would just shrug off a loss, the 90's guys would take it very personal and play harder.

all and all this question is so hypthetical its pointless to answer, but i take that era of bball over this anyday.

but, with magic and larry at the end of there careers, yeah mayb these guys have a chance... but the toughness factor is big to me, and i still belive edge 90's....

knickfan33
07-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Why would you add a prime shaq to the dream team if by the 1992 olympics Shaq had just been drafted and hasn't even played an nba game yet. :eyebrow:

i would take shaq as a rookie on that team too... people really don't give shaq enough respect,he was the most domaniting force this sport has ever seen.... his size combined with footwork is something you may never see again.

knickfan33
07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Why not, with all injuries aside?

gotta agree with him, tmac was a great player but i definelty think he gets way to much hype.

NBA-GMaster
07-29-2012, 07:20 AM

WOW, That team would be scary..

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Hakeem Olajuwon
C: Shaquille O'Neal
6 John Stockton
7 Scottie Pippen
8 Charles Barkley
9 Karl Malone
10 Patrick Ewing
11 Clyde Drexler
12 David Robinson

My pick for the present NBA players would be:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF: Kevin Durant
C: Dwight Howard
6 Derrick Rose
7 Dwyane Wade
8 Carmelo Anthony
9 Chris Bosh
10 Amare Stoudemire
11 Blake Griffin
12 Kevin Love

Vee-Rex
07-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Does that change the point? Add in a prime Olajuwon and a prime Magic/Bird and the dream team would still blast them. :rolleyes:

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I want to make a public apology. It was mere forgetfulness that made me put Carmello Anthony on the team instead of Kevin Durant. Also, I will never replace Derrick Rose with Deron Williams, because Rose would own on him in any scenario. I'll take the youngest MVP ever over Williams any day of the week.

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Does that change the point? Add in a prime Olajuwon and a prime Magic/Bird and the dream team would still blast them. :rolleyes:

Olajuwon's from Nigeria, so why are you even including him in a U.S. Olympic discussion?

Rocketsfan85
07-29-2012, 11:36 AM

1992 vs. 2012:
G - John Stockton (30) vs. D-Will (28)
F - Charles Barkley (29) vs. Kevin Durant (23)
F - Karl Malone (29) vs. Kevin Garnett (33)

This is my team I'd take the reason I have Garnett on there is cuz he bring a certain mental and physical toughness to any team he's on. I'm not a huge fan of his play anymore but I give respect where it's due and he'd talk **** wit the best of them inuding Jordan so that's why I'd put him on the team even know at his age

MrFastBreak
07-29-2012, 06:30 PM
gotta agree with him, tmac was a great player but i definelty think he gets way to much hype.
With all injuries aside, I dont agree with you and still doesnt answer my question.

Alayla
08-28-2012, 01:02 PM

1992 vs. 2012:
F - Chris Mullin (28) vs. T- MAC (31)
assuming everyone is in perfect health

i had to make that joke srry

Hellcrooner
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
This thread is what is a joke.

7 point win....yeah not a chance:rolleyes:.

Couple baskets that went in or out coming the other way and you would be eating crow.

phi2134
08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I would have KD as my second choice on that team right behind LeBron, you need him on the court to take down the dream team.

thephoenixson28
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I would replace Chris Paul with Lebron to match up with Magic. Then add Kevin Durant to the SF starting

SaimuKala
08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
This is just my opinion.

G: Chris Paul
G: Rajon Rondo
G: Derrick Rose
G: Kobe Bryant
G: Dwyane Wade
F: LeBron James
F: Kevin Durant
F: Kevin Love
F: Kevin Garnett
C: Dwight Howard
C: Roy Hibbert
C: Tyson Chandler

IMO these are the guys who go out there and play hard defense and give 110% out of themselves.

thephoenixson28
08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
My lineup.

Pg.Lebron
SG.Kobe
SF.Durant
PF.Love(Mostly for rebounding)
C.Howard

WhyEvenBother
08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Stats don't lie my man... Drose had one great over rated year... Dwill every year is consistent... Better jump shot better creater on the ball better defensively, drose finishes better around the basket that's about it stats don't lie

are you kidding me? this has to be the dumbest statement ever.
stats do lie constantly. its known. have you ever watched a basketball game or pay attention to the nba.?just because someone puts up nice stats does not mean they are better then anthor person

get this garbage out of here, you are horrible

I Rock Shaqs
08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
PG: Lebron/Derrick Rose
SG: Kobe Bryant/ Dwyane Wade
SF: Andre Iguodala/ Kevin Durant, Melo
PF:Kevin Garnett/ Lamarcus Aldridge
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

WhyEvenBother
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
this team:
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Dwight Howard
Andrew Bynum

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Can't be done with a roster made out of current players.

JordansBulls
08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
You would need divine intervention if you wanted to do so with current players.

mdm692
08-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Rose - CP3
Kobe - Wade - Iggy
LBJ - Melo
Stat - KD - Love
Dwight - Hibbert

sp1derm00
08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Lebron/CP3
Kobe/Wade/Iggy
Durant/Melo
KG/LMA
Dwight/Bynum

Start Lebron on Magic just because of match up purposes.

I truly believe this team would be enough to take down the Dream Team in a series.