PDA

View Full Version : Michael Del Zotto

QUBobcats550
07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Has anyone heard anything on the MDZ contract front? I haven't heard much of anything, so idk if that means there is a stand still or impasse at this point or what. I do know that we need him back to solidify our D and PP, and I really don't think he is getting moved now that we landed Nash. :shrug:

bsi
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Has anyone heard anything on the MDZ contract front? I haven't heard much of anything, so idk if that means there is a stand still or impasse at this point or what. I do know that we need him back to solidify our D and PP, and I really don't think he is getting moved now that we landed Nash. :shrug:

He was never getting moved for Nash or anyone that was available really, but there's no contract made but Slats is confident one will get done soon, I don't think there's any concern about whether he signs here, he likes it, the team likes him, a deal will get done.

Isca92
07-27-2012, 07:25 PM
There hasnt been much talk positive or negative about MDZ. I assume that they are working terms and dollars. Sather had to work on the other things first. UFA, Nash, Stralman (because of going to arbitration) and now has MDZ. It should be interesting to see what he gets, a great rookie year, horrible sophmore slump, bounce back 3rd year. Both sides could also be waiting on the new CBA.

Depending how long a player is restricted for could play into this contract. If the current rules apply then Sather will probably be looking to get into a year or two of his UFA under contract. If the restricted years are increased (as Owners want) then Sather would probably want to lock him up until the year before he comes a UFA.

I dont have fear that someone will sign him to an offer sheet. I didn't think he was going in the Nash trade and now that its complete I agree hes not going anywhere.

YankeeFanAlways
07-28-2012, 06:07 PM
He was never getting moved for Nash or anyone that was available really, but there's no contract made but Slats is confident one will get done soon, I don't think there's any concern about whether he signs here, he likes it, the team likes him, a deal will get done.

Didn't I hear something similiar during the Jeremy Lin fiasco? :confused:

NYY09
07-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Didn't I hear something similiar during the Jeremy Lin fiasco? :confused:

No way you can compare the two, big time apples and oranges...

QUBobcats550
07-30-2012, 02:35 AM
I was concerned he was going to be moved this off-season for Nash or Ryan, so I was relieved to hear he wasn't in the package going to Columbus. Isca, good point about Sather's agenda and order of business so far this off-season; there were certainly more pressing needs to be dealt with. Hopefully a deal will get done in the near future.

averymustgo
07-30-2012, 04:26 AM
MDZ is disrespected by a ton of Rangers fans. They simply can't see the incredible upside. They also quickly forgot what a tremendous regular season he had because he struggled vs. the Devils. He was very good in the other 2 playoff series.

apdamico
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm sure this has now become a priority for the Rangers, as he becomes the last unsigned player. The Rangers could be waiting to see if they land Doan or not before discussing specific numbers with MDZ to ensure they fit him under the cap - JMHO!

nyr1980
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
That may well be the case as any deal Doan would potentially sign has an effect on cap space. Im guessing that at this point, all the numbers have been discussed regarding Del Zotto. Im thinking that if there was a major issue and there was a wide gap between the two camps, we'd have heard something about it by now.

MJL80
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
MDZ is disrespected by a ton of Rangers fans. They simply can't see the incredible upside. They also quickly forgot what a tremendous regular season he had because he struggled vs. the Devils. He was very good in the other 2 playoff series.

What makes you say that he's being disrespected? Because his name kept popping up in trade talks? So did like 10 other Ranger players.

I don't think he's been disrespected in the least bit. If anything, I feel Ranger fans give him credit that he deserves. After a poor performance in 2010-2011, he had a nice bounce back year and stepped up huge to help fill the void left by the Staal and Sauer injuries. He played more minutes than anticipated, while improving both offensively and defensively.

Though he did struggle in the NJ series, so did a bunch of our guys. But I don't see anyone on here bashing him and doubting his potential..... unless I'm missing something

Isca92
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
MJL80, Averymustgo is correct. MDZ is the new whipping boy, someone had to take Rozsival's bashing, who took Malik's bashing and so on. Remember when they asked Malik how he feels about being booed him at MSG even though he led the team in plus minus at that time?

Why are they treated that way, when they make a mistake it leads to a solid scoring chance against so its magnified. Going back to the Devils round, first it was hes awful, then its ok cause of the death in his family. Then he goes out there and is battling through it and other peoples mistakes are blamed on him. For instance, Staal pressures on offensive rush, falls down in the corner, 3 on MDZ, they score its MDZ's fault. Then the comments (on twitter dont remember if they were here) well if he cant handle it put someone else in. Forgetting they are already playing with 5 d they want to go with 4 now.

People had alot of expectations of him after his rookie season, then he had a dreaded awful start that spiraled out of control. If MOST fans had a say he would have been traded for bag pucks last summer. This board bashed him, hell never play in the league again, his rookie season was a fluke, all types of nonsense. I know a FEW people defended him with me, citing his age and most players sophmore slumps, his was worst then most.

bsi
08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I think DelZotto is gonna be our best Dman some day, he's got all the tools and a willingness to learn. I loved his attitude when he got sent down and that he knew it was the best thing for his development. Great kid with great skill and he's only getting better.

IAmARanger18
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
What kind of contract you guys think DZ will get? I think they will look to lock him up long term, I'm thinking something along the lines of 4 years 10-11M total.

Dernelle
08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Would any of you here trade him for Subban in a 1 for 1 deal? (Not saying that there is any rumor stating that) I like MDZ, but Subban would bring that shot from the point the Rangers seem to never have. Don't know if I would.

IAmARanger18
08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
No way. I rather have Del Zotto, I hate Subban.

averymustgo
08-04-2012, 07:32 AM
All I had to see to know Del Zotto will be a force in this league one day was this. When Neil cheap shotted Boyle, nobody on the team did crap. No defenseman did crap. Del Zotto sought out Neil, found him with his head down, drilled him and dropped him like a sack of crap. I loved it. I loved see Neil lying on the ice like a tool.

QUBobcats550
08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
What kind of contract you guys think DZ will get? I think they will look to lock him up long term, I'm thinking something along the lines of 4 years 10-11M total.

Yeah, I think the parameters of his deal would be along those lines. That'd be a great deal for us too.

nyr1980
08-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I think if he signes for 4 years, there is at least a fair shot of him getting north of $12 million over the life of the deal. That actually would not be an unfair deal. While he has yet to make an All-Star team like Staal or Girardi, he does have more offense to his game then either of those two, and is coming off a season in which he eclipsed the best offensive seasons either of those guys have had, and at only the age of 22, with only 200 or so NHL games played, he's still well within the development curve for defensemen, where as Staal and Girardi are not.

Ideally, I'd like to see a 4 year deal worth about $11 million. But if he got 12 over that same span, I'd be fine with that.

ShadyOne
08-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Lock him up..

Worst case, he doesn't get much better, and is still a good 2 way defenseman. If he takes that next step, he becomes a top-level D-Man, and we get a bargain. Which, IMO, isn't out of the question. Because if he improves any more, and he hits the market, he will be worth plenty, likely more than we will pay. I can see the defense corps being anchored by him and McD in a few years, and I like that idea..

bsi
08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Lock him up..

Worst case, he doesn't get much better, and is still a good 2 way defenseman. If he takes that next step, he becomes a top-level D-Man, and we get a bargain. Which, IMO, isn't out of the question. Because if he improves any more, and he hits the market, he will be worth plenty, likely more than we will pay. I can see the defense corps being anchored by him and McD in a few years, and I like that idea..

He's gonna get better....but I'm not sure the problem is length of contract from Sathers side, I would guess DelZotto's camp wants a shorter contract so he can get the big bucks at UFA, but that's just my guess. Slats is probably trying to give him a 5 year deal at a value he's worth now, I doubt that would get it done, there's a deal in the middle somewhere, we're either gonna have to increase the money or decrease the years, just my guess.

averymustgo
08-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I think 3 years at 2.7 is fair.

Puckmeat
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm not going to venture a guess at what I think his contract should be, that's not my kind of thing. What I will say is that I hope he gets signed for a good long time, 3 years or more. He's only 22, and will only get better, or drastically worse. I don't see the latter happening, barring some kind of debilitating injury, heaven forbid.

Redfish
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Sather will be insisting on no less than a 4-year contract, I believe, due to the large number of key players which will be UFAs in three years (Gaborik, Callahan, Girardi, & Lunqvist). Kreider will be a RFA in three years as well, so I don't think Sather wants to add to his workload that season and will try to sign Del Zotto for four years, or longer, similar to what was accomplished with Girardi and Staal.

It's pure speculation on the amount, but with defenseman a hot commodity this off-season, I would think the risk of a hold-out for both Del Zotto and Montreal's P.K. Subban are higher than we think. At the very least, the dynamics of the situation suggest each player should resign as late as possible.

averymustgo
08-07-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm thrilled they gave up Erixon instead of MDZ. Like I said. That hit against Neil was something you would never see from Erixon in his entire career. It spoke volumes to me about what Del Zotto will be in the future. I know he didn't have a great series against NJ. However, this kid is a little more accuracy away on his shot from being a 55 point defenseman with a mean streak. Those are pretty hard to find in the NHL.

ElementCo27
08-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm thrilled they gave up Erixon instead of MDZ. Like I said. That hit against Neil was something you would never see from Erixon in his entire career. It spoke volumes to me about what Del Zotto will be in the future. I know he didn't have a great series against NJ. However, this kid is a little more accuracy away on his shot from being a 55 point defenseman with a mean streak. Those are pretty hard to find in the NHL.

Yeah I enjoyed that very much as well. It also helps that Boyle and him are like brothers so they're going to stick up for each other which is a really good sign. I just remember Neil's face after staying down for so long after getting completely drilled by DZ. I need to find that replay...

averymustgo
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
MDZ won me over with that. I can live with the Devils series. He's 21.

QUBobcats550
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
MDZ won me over with that. I can live with the Devils series. He's 21.

:clap:

Garden Faithful
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Del Zotto's ****** play in the playoffs probably had something to do with two grandparents passing away within a week of each other although his skating did look rather poor this year. Hopefully hell get all of his **** together next season.

NYY09
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
It's not Del Zotto everyone should worry about, though make no mistake about his importance to that defense and team, it's McDonagh. He's is a Norris Trophy winner in the making and will command a salary accordingly. Thats the situation that intrigues me most, I mean the guy had so many flashes of brilliance last year. His ceiling is just incredible, maybe if Leetch worked with him a bit... yikes.

averymustgo
08-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Del Zotto is EXACTLY the type of player a dope like TheGame would call up WFAN about, crying how bad he stinks and they need to trade him for Rick Nash. I have 0.00% doubt of that. MDZ is another player the majority of our fan base is COMPLETELY clueless on.

btz
08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Del Zotto is EXACTLY the type of player a dope like TheGame would call up WFAN about, crying how bad he stinks and they need to trade him for Rick Nash. I have 0.00% doubt of that. MDZ is another player the majority of our fan base is COMPLETELY clueless on.

this is why i try not to listen to WFAN, as soon as any athlete in NY has a bad game or two, the fans are calling for their heads, just a bunch of idiots that want to hear themselves on the radio.... you know the ones!!

IAmARanger18
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
MDZ is just 21-22 years old people tend to forget this, not everybody is a Nicklas Lidstrom right off the bat. Let the kids game grow.

nyr1980
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Amen. At 22, his game still needs to grow.

The other overlooked point is the fact that D is the HARDEST position to learn and play. Especially when you're asked to play top-4 minutes. You hear commentators, and I mean guys who played the position for many years like Denis Potvin who does the Panthers, say all the time that the learning/development curve for defensemen is in the neighborhood of 250-300 NHL games before a guy really becomes what he'll be.

Even counting the playoffs, Del Zotto is at about 225 or so. He's likely got close to another full season of learning ahead of him.

averymustgo
08-16-2012, 06:41 PM
How quickly people forget that at 22, Leetch sukkkkkkkkkkkkkkked defensively. He had no clue. People also forget that at 25, Keenan benched him in the playoffs vs. the Devils until Messier stepped in and told Keenan to cut the crap out.

IAmARanger18
08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
People have no patience's, they want him to be Leetch/Lidstrom so young, MDZ showed major strides this past season and his defense got MUCH better. He was using his body more, getting more psychical and he was smarter with the puck, this will all come with more experience. Lets be patient

J4KOP99
08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Still no news on a possible contract? Or even that sather and the agent are talking?

oak2455
08-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Seems like everything is pretty quiet at the moment ....I like his play and I'm happy we will see great things from him for years to come .... Can't remember in a long time where I'm confident as a Ranger fan on how far this team will go for years to come!!!

averymustgo
08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Hockey fans especially have no patience with offensive defenseman who aren't solid defensively yet. Fans are usually clueless with those types. If your a good defensive, defenseman and then develop offense, you're looked at like a star by fans. If you're a good offensive defenseman who later becomes good defensively, you are almost never given credit. Leetch took forever to get credit for being good defensively because he wasn't early in his career. People never wanted to acknowledge that he improved.

Points wins Norris trophy's. Karlsson is wonderful offensively. He should not have won anything.

bsi
08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Hockey fans especially have no patience with offensive defenseman who aren't solid defensively yet. Fans are usually clueless with those types. If your a good defensive, defenseman and then develop offense, you're looked at like a star by fans. If you're a good offensive defenseman who later becomes good defensively, you are almost never given credit. Leetch took forever to get credit for being good defensively because he wasn't early in his career. People never wanted to acknowledge that he improved.

Points wins Norris trophy's. Karlsson is wonderful offensively. He should not have won anything.

Karlson is decent defensively too, I think a lot of people assume he's poor defensively because he is good offensively. Our team had a hard time dealing with Karlsson's speed in his own end this playoffs, when the puck was dumped in he came out with it fast. But with DelZotto he has came leaps and bounds last year defensively, he's only gonna get better really. He just needs to learn when to join the rush and when to back off sometimes, it's a hard thing to learn but I think he's the type of player who will continue to improve, as I said before, he will be the best defenseman we have in years to come IMO.

Ranger71
08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
DelZotto won't be better all-around than McDonagh. He dosen't have the defensive ability McD does, though he seemed to improve last season. Being tough dosen't come naturally to him, it seems forced at times. Del Zotto's shot also isn't great, so that limits his effectiveness in running the pp. The Rangers still need to find a guy that really can do that, be it a FA like Coliacovo/Campoli or maybe they let Stralman handle it. That's why getting Schultz would've been huge.

QUBobcats550
08-18-2012, 08:40 PM
MDZ is just 21-22 years old people tend to forget this, not everybody is a Nicklas Lidstrom right off the bat. Let the kids game grow.

This is my sentiment as well, but for some reason people fail to see this.

bsi
08-18-2012, 09:31 PM
DelZotto won't be better all-around than McDonagh. He dosen't have the defensive ability McD does, though he seemed to improve last season. Being tough dosen't come naturally to him, it seems forced at times. Del Zotto's shot also isn't great, so that limits his effectiveness in running the pp. The Rangers still need to find a guy that really can do that, be it a FA like Coliacovo/Campoli or maybe they let Stralman handle it. That's why getting Schultz would've been huge.

McDonagh doesn't have the offensive abilities that DelZotto has and yet DelZotto improved defensively immensely. DelZotto was 20 times better defensively last year than the previous year, if he gets just a little bit better in that regard it won't be hard for him to be our best defenseman. Don't get me wrong, I think McDonagh is gonna be a really good defenseman, but I don't ever envision him running our PP.

averymustgo
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I think McDonagh has a lot more offensive game then I thought he did. It was his first full season last year and he had 32 points which is pretty darn good. Like MDZ, his slapper needs to improve. I do think MDZ improved his slapper a lot this year velocity wise. He just can't hit the net with it yet.

Ranger71
08-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Exactly, and just look at some of the plays he's starting to make like the pinch and pass to Fedetenko in Gm6 and the follow up in the last second in Calgary. He's got those kinds of intangibles which will only get better. He dosen't have some of the flash DZ does but he also dosen't have the inconsistencies and predictability issues DZ has to work through. I see more of Leetch in McD than DZ just from a hockey sense standpoint. A top 10 dman in the league now.
*The one thing that does bother me sometimes with McDonagh are the errant passes leaving the zone. He needs to do a better job recognizing when to take it out himself.

njnets
08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/165084/hockey-headlines?r=1

looks like contract negotiations are happening but the two sides cant agree on a price.

hope this gets done soon

IAmARanger18
08-21-2012, 09:04 PM
It will get done soon, he wont scum us like Prust did and when push comes to shove, Sather will NOT let MDZ walk like he did with Prust, MDZ is more valuable to us then Prust could have ever been IMO

bsi
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
It will get done soon, he wont scum us like Prust did and when push comes to shove, Sather will NOT let MDZ walk like he did with Prust, MDZ is more valuable to us then Prust could have ever been IMO

MDZ is our property, he can't walk like Prust. Worst he can do is sit out the year.

averymustgo
08-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I don't blame Prust. What he does is pretty tough for a living. He takes a beating. He should have gone for the most money. Lin on the other hand was scum. The Knicks made that loser and he showed no loyalty. I hope he rots in Houston.

bsi
08-22-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't blame Prust. What he does is pretty tough for a living. He takes a beating. He should have gone for the most money. Lin on the other hand was scum. The Knicks made that loser and he showed no loyalty. I hope he rots in Houston.

I think Prust's longevity is in question myself. He seems to play hurt a lot, and he's given a lot of hard hours on the ice fighting bigger guys and hitting every shift. He took the money IMO because this was his last chance at a decent contract, he knows his body can't take many more years. It's become pretty clear from my point of view that Prust either has to tone it down a bit or he'll always be injured from here on in.

MJL80
08-23-2012, 12:31 AM

At the end of the day, these guys are going to do what's right for them and what's in the best interest of their families. Whatever the case may be, you just gotta move on and put trust in management to make the right decisions to backfill their roles.

Can't blame Prust for jumping on that contract, and you can't blame Jeremy.... he should be thankful that he had the opportunity to shine in the NY market, but he just didn't want to be here

averymustgo
08-23-2012, 03:39 AM
I think if Prust cut his fights in half, he would get back to 10 goals, 15 assists.

Ranger71
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Since Rupp is otherwise useless hopefully he steps up into a bigger tough guy role along with Asham who can fight if needed. I actually think Asham will be decent offensively compared to Prust whose numbers dipped.

bsi
08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Since Rupp is otherwise useless hopefully he steps up into a bigger tough guy role along with Asham who can fight if needed. I actually think Asham will be decent offensively compared to Prust whose numbers dipped.

Rupp played most of last year injured, I'd expect him to be better this year.
Taken from Blueshirts united.

"Last year for me was a battle," Rupp told me the other day. "We had a great season as a team, and being a part of that was something special and I will never forget any of that. But at the same time it was a long season for me after getting injured in training camp and then never feeling good all year---knowing that I didn't quite have that edge in my game, that push, and that some days were going to be downright bad. It was a tough year for me because of that."

Rupp appeared in 60 games last season, the fewest he had played in since 2005-06.He missed 22 straight games between October 27th and December 15th following knee surgery. And even after the surgery pain lingered and he was not quite right.

"When you get hurt late in a season, you just grind it out, you can deal with it," explained Rupp. "But when you get hurt in pre-season and then have surgery, and try and get back as soon as you can, you just aren't right the entire year. I love to practice and I love to play games and there were times where it hurt so much it was not easy at all to get out there. It's like Man, how am I going to get through today? And that's no fun at all."

Despite his constant knee pain, and time missed following the surgery, Rupp played a major role inside the dressing room, quickly becoming a trusted and respected veteran voice. Not only a go-to for team beat reporters, Rupp's locker was a destination for younger teammates on a regular basis, as well. And during the playoffs, Rupp's was a calming voice even at the most tense of times with the Rangers facing early elimination against Ottawa and Washington.