PDA

View Full Version : LeBron joins Kobe

JiffyMix88
07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8205408/lebron-james-says-united-states-olympic-team-beat-1992-dream

in thinking that the 2012 USA Olympic team could beat the 1992 USA Olympic Dream Team :facepalm:

FOXHOUND
07-27-2012, 02:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8205408/lebron-james-says-united-states-olympic-team-beat-1992-dream

in thinking that the 2012 USA Olympic team could beat the 1992 USA Olympic Dream Team :facepalm:

Why should they think anything different? They definitely COULD beat the Dream Team, it's pretty ridiculous to think that they can't. Beating them in a 7 game series, however, is another thing altogether.

JiffyMix88
07-27-2012, 02:59 PM
maybe its just me but the more I watch this team play it makes me like the dream team that much more

Scooby-Doo
07-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I suppose that Kevin Love would be there to stop Ewing, Robinson, Malone and Hakeem from scoring.

Shkelqim
07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Seriously LeBron paid his respects to the 92 Dream Team, but no way in hell would he say he would lose to them. From a competitor stand point it makes sense.

shep33
07-27-2012, 03:03 PM
What's he suppose to say? We'd get our ***** handed to us? Gotta instill confidence in your team.

Nothing wrong with a little swag

FOXHOUND
I suppose that Kevin Love would be there to stop Ewing, Robinson, Malone and Hakeem from scoring.

Well, Kevin Love barely even plays. You have that guy named Tyson Chandler still, you know.

And think about the flip side. How would Barkley or Malone fare in guarding LeBron/Melo/Durant at the 4? Think about the transition game, think about this teams speed on defense. It's not so clear cut. Yes, the Dream Team has a big advantage in size, but this team has a big advantage athletically and also in terms of 3 point shooting.

JiffyMix88
i guess its ok to talk yourself up when it can't actually happen.. but w/e i'd rather them just say we'll never know

justinnum1
07-27-2012, 03:04 PM
stfu lebron.

Maybe they win one game, but they get rolled in a 7 game series.

sunsfan88
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
The 2012 team would beat the dream team. Bird was near the end of his career, Magic came out of retirement. 2012 team has Paul, LeBron, Anthony, Williams etc. in their prime and they are by far more athletic.

The dream team's biggest advantage might be Ewing/Robinson and prime MJ but today's team has a guy like Chandler is the paint and athletic defenders for Jordan.

justinnum1
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
The 2012 team would beat the dream team. Bird was near the end of his career, Magic came out of retirement. 2012 team has Paul, LeBron, Anthony, Williams etc. in their prime and they are by far more athletic.

The dream team's biggest advantage might be Ewing/Robinson and prime MJ but today's team has a guy like Chandler is the paint and athletic defenders for Jordan.

Chandler can't even stay on the floor, he is a fouling machine.

Linkels
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Do you really think Chandler can stop a prime Ewing, Robinson, Barkley and Malone? How young are you?

Teeboy1487
07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
What makes them think they can beat that team? It's so weird.

LAKERMANIA
07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I do think that the 92 Dream Team could beat this 2012 team, however after watching the 2012 team play, I do think that the 2012 team COULD beat the 92 team as well... I don't think the 92 team is that much better anymore..

NYKalltheway
07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
he shouldn't say anything at all since he knows they'd get whooped

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 03:39 PM
they're so stupid for engaging in this subject. they need to understand just how incredible the dream team really was, & in most peoples minds it's crazy to think you'd beat them, even blasphemous. that will just make people turn on them, & actually root against them. they should just say "no comment" or "no possible way to find out & i refuse to disrespect either team by saying anything". leave it alone young fellas, you're embarrassing yourselves

naps
07-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Nothing is wrong being confidant. What is supposed to say? Can you imagine how this place would explode if LeBron said we would whooped by dream team? But I still say dream team wins. That teams big man rotation would eat this team alive.

Now if we could add a prime Shaq, and a Duncan/KG along with Wade, Rose, Bosh healthy then we would get ourselves a hell of a series between these two teams.

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Magic was only retired because of HIV, but he was basically still in his prime, & easily better than any guard the usa team has today. now the 1996 Magic comeback you could definitely say he was old(yet still played really well), but 1992? that's a young Magic. Bird was 35(not that old really) but still ballin like a champ, avg 20 ppg that year. give me that Bird over harden or Iguodala ANYDAY. just think if the 1992 team decided to play Ewing & Robinson at the same time, (have Robinson play PF) along with Pippen Michael & Magic. GAME OVER. i can't even see it being close 90% of the time

and the 2012 team would have serious problems guarding prime malone & barkley. and just forget about stopping or slowing down Michael, it wouldn't happen

Hawkeye15
07-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I will say the same thing I said when Kobe said it. While I don't agree with either, what do you expect them to say? These are super competitive athletes who are top 10 that ever played. Do you think they would say no? Of course not, you need a sort of arrogance and cockiness to get to Kobe and LeBron's level.

Non-issue.

Becks2307
07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
LOL they would not have known how to handle Barkley. Lebron Kobe Melo Durant -would be defended by Jordan Pippen Sir Charles and Magic

Bird would snipe from 3 all day.

JiffyMix88
07-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I will say the same thing I said when Kobe said it. While I don't agree with either, what do you expect them to say? These are super competitive athletes who are top 10 that ever played. Do you think they would say no? Of course not, you need a sort of arrogance and cockiness to get to Kobe and LeBron's level.

Non-issue.

or he could say it'll never happen so who knows...

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 04:04 PM
i think LeBron knows better than this, he's alot more humble than KB. he knows they'd get beat, guess he just wants to make his team feel cooler than they really are, lol, i have no idea

D1JM
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
So chandler can hold the paint against guys like Ewing or Robinson? Lol he can't even stay out of foul trouble

Hellcrooner
Lol, if they dont get Gold they are not gonna hear the end of it.

Hawkeye15
or he could say it'll never happen so who knows...

I actually prefer Bird's angle.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2012, 04:07 PM
let's see.

Interior for the Dream Team:

Malone
Barkley
Ewing
Robinson
Laettner

Interior for the current team:

Chandler
Love
Davis

Do we need to go any further at all?

D1JM
07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
let's see.

Interior for the Dream Team:

Malone
Barkley
Ewing
Robinson
Laettner

Interior for the current team:

Chandler
Love
Davis

Do we need to go any further at all?

Exactly.

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Chandler can't stay out of foul trouble against jabroni teams, imagine how quick he'd be on the bench against 1992. my goodness it's scary

mamba24
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Magic was only retired because of HIV, but he was basically still in his prime, & easily better than any guard the usa team has today. now the 1996 Magic comeback you could definitely say he was old(yet still played really well), but 1992? that's a young Magic. Bird was 35(not that old really) but still ballin like a champ, avg 20 ppg that year. give me that Bird over harden or Iguodala ANYDAY. just think if the 1992 team decided to play Ewing & Robinson at the same time, (have Robinson play PF) along with Pippen Michael & Magic. GAME OVER. i can't even see it being close 90% of the time

and the 2012 team would have serious problems guarding prime malone & barkley. and just forget about stopping or slowing down Michael, it wouldn't happen

Magic was still retired. He wasnt the same magic. He wouldve struggled guarding Chris Paul just like Paul wouldve struggled guarding him. Larry Bird was a shell of his former self. He was done. He didnt even play much cuz his back was so bad. how would he guard lebron or KD? Barkley and Malone wouldve struggled guarding Lebron just like lebron wouldve struggled guarding both of them. Tyson CHandler would be fine guarding other NBA centers (Ewing, Robinson). On offense he wouldve done nothing. Im pretty sure nobody in the NBA was as quick or explosive as Westbrook. I grew up watching the DREAM Team. I watched all them in their primes. Magic Was my favorite player... Westbrook would blow passed anybody on the DREAM Team... There is a size advantage and the Michael Jordan advantage for the DREAM Team, but a speed and athletecism advantage for the 2012 team. I think the game would be a lot closer than people think...

Bruno
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Nothing is wrong being confidant. What is supposed to say? Can you imagine how this place would explode if LeBron said we would whooped by dream team? But I still say dream team wins. That teams big man rotation would eat this team alive.

Now if we could add a prime Shaq, and a Duncan/KG along with Wade, Rose, Bosh healthy then we would get ourselves a hell of a series between these two teams.

totally. but i think this team would destroy the 1992 team.

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Bryant/Wade/Iggy
James/Durant/Melo
Duncan/KG/Love/Bosh
Shaq/Chandler

thekmp211
07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
i could make it happen in 2k12. believe!!

seriously though couldn't care less.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Bryant/Wade/Iggy
James/Durant/Melo
Duncan/KG/Love/Bosh
Shaq/Chandler

sure, but we could go ahead and grab the primes of players over 10 years from 1992-1992, and that team would win...

Basically what you are doing here haha.

kdspurman
07-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree, what do you expect them to say, although they could go the humble route and say something a long the lines of "I think it's great for the fans and media to talk about, but it would've been a great honor to play against those guys" something a long those lines. But guys like Kobe and LeBron usually don't take the humble route, and can't knock them for that. It's who they are.

But, I mean if you look at the problems Brazil gave them with Nene, Splitter, and Varejao controlling the boards and what not?... I mean even if Bird & Magic were at the end of their careers, the big's alone make all the difference. I don't see anyway that this team competes, not with Chandler, Love, and Davis as your front line. Even if Dwight was there, I still don't see it cause even he is not fully polished on both ends.

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I actually prefer Bird's angle.
"they probably could. i haven't played in 20 years and we're all old now"

key word "probably", lol. dream team might still pull it off even now, ha

Mikeleafs
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
With the way the game is officiated these days then yes they would beat the Dream Team.

But if the game were officiated the way it was back in the 90's, the DREAM team would r ape these spoiled brats and LeBaby would be crying all game!!

I Rock Shaqs
07-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Lmao To me seems like you guys think Chandler is going to defend Ewing/Hakeem and Jordan and Pippen from getting to the rim all at once. Think about the physicality back then as well, Barkley and Malone would **** Durant's 150 pound *** up.

kdspurman
07-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Lmao To me seems like you guys think Chandler is going to defend Ewing/Hakeem and Jordan and Pippen from getting to the rim all at once. Think about the physicality back then as well, Barkley and Malone would **** Durant's 150 pound *** up.

Hakeem was not there...

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
sure, but we could go ahead and grab the primes of players over 10 years from 1992-1992, and that team would win...

Basically what you are doing here haha.

i don't think even that team could beat 1992. could be a decent series at least. maybe 6 games

D1JM
07-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Bryant/Wade/Iggy
James/Durant/Melo
Duncan/KG/Love/Bosh
Shaq/Chandler

Then let's add Moses Malone, Erving, Thomas, Wilkins, jabbar etc to 1992 team

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Hakeem was not there...he was on the 1996 team. Hakeem, Shaquille, & Robinson. 2nd best usa team ever in my opinion

KniCks4LiFe
07-27-2012, 04:27 PM
y'all saw what Argentina did to this team w/o a legit prime PG and just Skola and Delfino? y'all honestly think this team has a shot against the Dream Team?? All I see is a new era of sh-- talking players, A.I. was the first of the new era sh-- talkers, that dude was my favorite guard in the NBA and Jordan shut him the f' up after that answer crossover. As for Kobe when he met Jordan in his late 30's Jordan was taking his *** to school, mid 20's MJ would tea bag him and LeBron. **** even Stockton gave a hard foul or two, he'd be like Fisher vs LeBron in the playoffs.

kdspurman
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
he was on the 1996 team. Hakeem, Shaquille, & Robinson. 2nd best usa team ever in my opinion

I thought we were talking about the 92 team here

mamba24
07-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Chandler can't stay out of foul trouble against jabroni teams, imagine how quick he'd be on the bench against 1992. my goodness it's scary

ya but he doesnt have trouble in the NBA lol... he would be playing an NBA game essentially. I dont think the team now could win in a 7 game series but i think it would be closer than a lotta people think tho

MrFastBreak
07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I dont know but the 2012 roster does seem promising. In actually thinking about it, Im kinda doubtful. The caliber of all guys would make a great game tho. To me, thats all that matters.

KniCks4LiFe
07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
ya but he doesnt have trouble in the NBA lol... he would be playing an NBA game essentially. I dont think the team now could win in a 7 game series but i think it would be closer than a lotta people think tho

they'd get their ***** handed to them. They'd keep up 1st half, 3rd qtr. Dream Team would turn it up another level, and the 4th they'd just pile on. Each and every player in the Dream Team was fundamentally sound, high IQ, 4 yrs. of college. Kobe and this brat pack some are just going off talent, that's offsetting, the experience alone, the high IQ, and the bodies in the paint alone would rock this 2012 team.

Cromedome
07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Is this a joke? It seems like the 2 years old kids on here think the 2012 team has a chance.

I've learned 1 thing from 90's basketball..... YOU DON'T WIN AGAINST A MICHAEL JORDAN TEAM.

oak2455
07-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Crack is a dangerous drug Lebron

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah sure you can beat a team that had HOFers coming off the bench :laugh:

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Is this a joke? It seems like the 2 years old kids on here think the 2012 team has a chance.

I've learned 1 thing from 90's basketball..... YOU DON'T WIN AGAINST A MICHAEL JORDAN TEAM.

:laugh:

justinnum1
07-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Crack is a dangerous drug Lebron and Kobe

Fixed.

jimm120
07-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Hahhaa. So sad :( because of Ewing's Knicks but oh so true.

End of the day, the 90's Centers, Power Forwards, and Shooting Guards were sooooooo much better than the 2012's . Only position where the 2012's seem to have an advantage is at the Small Forward position (hence the whole "more athletic" comments.).

ChicagooooBulls
07-27-2012, 05:07 PM
just another example of lebron being a follower, second fiddle type of guy. he'll never be the greatest simply because of this

nothappyinut
07-27-2012, 05:10 PM
just another example of lebron being a follower, second fiddle type of guy. he'll never be the greatest simply because of this

Wtf are you talking about??? If someone asks him that question what's he suppose to say??? Lebron haters look so dumb most the time

Losoway
07-27-2012, 05:16 PM
what are they suppose to say??? "no we will not win"

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 05:18 PM
they could probably just play Drexler & let Michael sit out & still win by 25

Losoway
07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
they could probably just play Drexler & let Michael sit out & still win by 25

trolling at its finest

Losoway
07-27-2012, 05:21 PM
if this usa team had dwight howard , rose , wade and bosh like they were suppose to

then i would say the usa team would kill the dream team

but they dont. so the dream team wins

Linkels
07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
if this usa team had dwight howard , rose , wade and bosh like they were suppose to

"Trolling at its finest"

Raps Insider 12
07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I think in a 7 game series, LBJ's team may get a squeaker win when MJ/ Magic/ Bird will all get fouled out after a triple overtime.

4-1 Dream Team

1 win by LBJ's team with a score of 200-199 in a triple overtime win.

:D

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 05:26 PM

kill the dream team just by adding those guys? trolling at it's finest

natelpete
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Just like everything was better when you were younger; the movies, tv shows, music, toys, athletes, etc. It's called nostalgia.

I'm not going to say who would win because I really don't know, and I don't think anyone can say they absolutely know one way or the other.

I'll just say it would be an awesome game to watch, if it were possible. Give this team a healthy Dwight Howard and Derek Rose, and well...........

RaiderLakersA's
07-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Ok, calm down. It's not like Jordan never lost a game or a playoff series.

After watching the current Olympic Team play, I'm going to side with Kobe and LeBron: they are good enough to defeat the Dream Team.

In any event can we all agree that the level of "competition" that the Dream Team faced was pretty much nonexistent? Adding the NBA players was complete overkill. Like taking an SR-71 BlackBird to a hot air balloon race.

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
man 1992 croatia might even beat 2012s team, if they struggle with argentina

Da Knicks
07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
The Dream Team was the team that many of us just worshipped shoot i still have my basketball shirt with all of them on it. Saying that, this team is no slouch and Melo and Lebron at the 3 and 4 would be very athletic and hard to handle. This is the most athletic team ever and if someone could beat the dream team this would def. be a team with a chance.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Not sure why people are putting down the 2012 team. They have a solid chance against them.

If they lose, it'd be more because of David Robinson and the big men, less because of Jordan, Bird and Magic.

kjdills13
07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Paul,Williams > Magic ( at that point of his career, stockton
Kobe,Harden < Jordan, Drexler
Lebron,Durant,Melo>Bird,Pippen,Mulls
Kevin Love < Barkley,Malone
Tyson Chandler < Robinson, Ewing.

BUT when you put the best players on the floor.

paul>Magic ( at that point in his career)
Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Chandler<Robinson

Now that is a great matchup!!!!

kjdills13
07-27-2012, 06:28 PM
The Dream Team was the team that many of us just worshipped shoot i still have my basketball shirt with all of them on it. Saying that, this team is no slouch and Melo and Lebron at the 3 and 4 would be very athletic and hard to handle. This is the most athletic team ever and if someone could beat the dream team this would def. be a team with a chance.

You mean Durant and Lebron right? we all know ur a melo fan but lets be realistic here.

natelpete
07-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Paul,Williams > Magic ( at that point of his career, stockton
Kobe,Harden < Jordan, Drexler
Lebron,Durant,Melo>Bird,Pippen,Mulls
Kevin Love < Barkley,Malone
Tyson Chandler < Robinson, Ewing.

BUT when you put the best players on the floor.

paul>Magic ( at that point in his career)
Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Chandler<Robinson

Now that is a great matchup!!!!

For fun, throw Dwight in there over Chandler.

Paul>Magic (at that point in his career)
Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Dwight>Robinson

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Magic in 1992 was still better than Paul or Deron, no question about it. you guys act like he was retired forever. he was 32, only just missed that nba season & only because of hiv(still played the perseason & 92 allstar game) & was in great shape for the dream team. i'd GLADLY take Magic & stockton anyday over these fine young guns. they're excellent, but they're not Magic & stockton excellent

BobbyHillSwag
07-27-2012, 07:25 PM
the 2003 team would smoke this team(not 04), how the hell are they gonna beat 92 dream team.

ee
07-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Bryant/Wade/Iggy
James/Durant/Melo
Duncan/KG/Love/Bosh
Shaq/Cry BabyChandlerfixed

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Dwight>Robinson

Dwight over prime David Robinson? wow! David Robinson was so much better than Dwight it's not even funny. Robinson scored 71 points on the last day of 9r season just cause he felt like getting the scoring title, he said it was like the only game he had x number of points he wanted to score, his 1 selfish game. imagine that, he scored 71 just cause he felt like it. can Dwight even score 40? Dwight is a fine center, but in the 90s he wouldn't even be top 5

Hakeem
Shaquille
Robinson
Ewing
Mourning
Dwight

numba1CHANGsta
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
If only Dwight/Bynum/Griffin were healthy then i would say 2012>1992 this team lacks depth in the front court, but the 2012 squad's athleticism, quickness and outside shooting is much better than the Dream Team.

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Dwight>Robinson

Dwight over prime David Robinson? wow! David Robinson was so much better than Dwight it's not even funny. Robinson scored 71 points on the last day of 94 season just cause he felt like getting the scoring title, he said it was like the only game he had x number of points he wanted to score, his 1 selfish game. imagine that, he scored 71 just cause he felt like it. can Dwight even score 40? Dwight is a fine center, but in the 90s he wouldn't even be top 5

Hakeem
Shaquille
Robinson
Ewing
Mourning
Dwight

kdspurman
07-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Dwight>Robinson

I can't believe I'm reading that.... Dwight is a POOR mans D-Rob.

majmarcus
07-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I swear people complain about EVERYTHING! Wth else is Lebron & Kobe suppose to say?

"Yeah, we dont belong on the same planet with the Original Kings of Basketball for if we dared, We'd get our @$$es kicked...thoroughly!!!! This current dream team will get tuned up something serious man. They'll get us by atleast 30pts per."

If they bowed down like sum b&#161;Tche$, you'd complain about that as well. How would you feel if Kobe &/or Lebron said "The game would be epic because we'll have to play to death ya see. One team would have to actually die for a winner to be declared because its much bigger than scoring the most points. Its THAT serious!!!"

Would they be crazy then???? Just STFU & quit finding something wrong in every little thing...

Trueblue2
07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe with Howard, Bynum, Bosh, Wade, and Rose playing... The USA team as currently constructed would have no chance.

lamzoka
07-27-2012, 09:39 PM
i suppose that kevin love would be there to stop ewing, robinson, malone and hakeem from scoring.
?????????hakeem???????????

BKLYNpigeon
07-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Can we stop debating this? its so annoying. Who F. cares.

no one will ever know which team was better... 92 Dream Team were the Ambassadors of Basketball and was Pure Class.

jimm120
07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Dwight over prime David Robinson? wow! David Robinson was so much better than Dwight it's not even funny. Robinson scored 71 points on the last day of 9r season just cause he felt like getting the scoring title, he said it was like the only game he had x number of points he wanted to score, his 1 selfish game. imagine that, he scored 71 just cause he felt like it. can Dwight even score 40? Dwight is a fine center, but in the 90s he wouldn't even be top 5

Hakeem
Shaquille
Robinson
Ewing
Mourning
Dwight

Exactly lol.

Dwight is a FINE center. Great! Its just that's how good the Centers from the 90's were. Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson...hell even Mourning would all be better than Dwight...and that's saying a lot when Dwight is a top 5 player int he league today

hidalgo
07-27-2012, 10:22 PM
If only Dwight/Bynum/Griffin were healthy then i would say 2012>1992 this team lacks depth in the front court, but the 2012 squad's athleticism, quickness and outside shooting is much better than the Dream Team.
i think people forget just how athletic the 1992 team was at that point, because they all got old eventually & slowed down & retired. but at that point Jordan, Pippen, Drexler, Robinson, Barkley, & Malone were very athletic. even Magic was, he pushed the ball up the court FAST. matchup nightmare he was. Ewing could move really well then too. it's not like they had their feet in concrete, they were high flyers too

and better outside shooting than Bird & Mullin?

naps
07-27-2012, 11:05 PM

Paul/Rose/Westbrook
Bryant/Wade/Iggy
James/Durant/Melo
Duncan/KG/Love/Bosh
Shaq/Chandler

True most likely this would win (Most people don't know Bird was useless by then) but I just wouldn't say they would destroy that team just because of Michael Jordan. I mean his nature wouldn't let them slip away too easy. I never really bet with 100% confidence against any team that has the GOAT in it (Reminds me of 90's ball and those helpless faces of Knicks and Jazz teams) haha...

SwatTeam
07-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I think this topic is a waste. Why talk about things that can only be solved through video games? We will never know the answer. Although I side with the 92 dream team over the 2012 team.

My biggest pet peeve however is comparing the competition the 92 dream team faced and what the 2012 team faces. The 92 dream team played scrubs. They played players that you see on the pick up leagues at the local youth center. Thats why they blew out so many teams. What type of NBA caliber opposition players did they face? Toni Kukoc and Drazan Petrovc? Really? How is a duo of shooters basically going to beat a team of athletic beasts on the 92 team? Sabonis was on the Lithuanian team but no one else from the NBA.

The REAL question should be - if the 2012 team played the same competition the 1992 team faced would they still win by the same margin of points? I think they could get close. BUT make no mistake about it - the US this year (and basically since 2004) plays opposing teams that are stacked with NBA level competition. Argentina/Spain/Brazil I would say are higher quality opponents than anything the 1992 team ever faced.

49erGiantLaker
07-27-2012, 11:31 PM
What's he suppose to say? We'd get our ***** handed to us? Gotta instill confidence in your team.

Nothing wrong with a little swag

This

smiddy012
07-28-2012, 12:03 AM
It's pretty simple guys...

92s big men would annihilate Love and Chandler... it's not even funny how much more talent there is at the C and PF spots with the 92 team.

A prime Jordan would make today's Kobe eat his **** on both ends of the court, period.

Pippen would be on top of Lebron like white on rice. Unless the refs are calling touch fouls, as if basketball were not a physical sport, Lebron would not put up the great numbers we are used to seeing from him. Pippen was as good if not better than Lebron defensively, and that's a conservative estimate.

CP3 would not have a chance against Stockton or Magic. Stockton was simply better at every facet of the game. Magic would simply run him over on offense, that would be another mismatch. Westbrook would be the present team's only chance at PG due to his defensive presence and athleticism.

So essentially the only positive matchup today's team would have is Lebron vs. Pippen. And even then Pippen is considered to be the best perimeter defender in the history of the game by many. The 92 team wouldn't even need Bird to dominate. And don't tell me Durant would be a game-changer because Scottie would own him on both sides of the court, not a good matchup for Durant there. And you also can't put Lebron at PF when his post game is pretty close to non-existent, while he excels when he's driving to the hoop.

nbrod
07-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Swag

chipurmunki
07-28-2012, 12:37 AM
they should keep their fat mouths shut, then. they know nothing if they think this team can compare with the original dream team. they can eat all the wheaties they want, but they'll be the ones getting blown out by 40, which was the average margin of victory for the '92 squad. they'd beat the 40-50 year olds if they played today, but to say that iggy and bosh (lol) can match up with pippen and malone is laughable. IQ is not even close. i mean, come on... irving broke his hand punching a damn wall. case closed.

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 12:43 AM
I think this topic is a waste. Why talk about things that can only be solved through video games? We will never know the answer. Although I side with the 92 dream team over the 2012 team.

My biggest pet peeve however is comparing the competition the 92 dream team faced and what the 2012 team faces. The 92 dream team played scrubs. They played players that you see on the pick up leagues at the local youth center. Thats why they blew out so many teams. What type of NBA caliber opposition players did they face? Toni Kukoc and Drazan Petrovc? Really? How is a duo of shooters basically going to beat a team of athletic beasts on the 92 team? Sabonis was on the Lithuanian team but no one else from the NBA.

The REAL question should be - if the 2012 team played the same competition the 1992 team faced would they still win by the same margin of points? I think they could get close. BUT make no mistake about it - the US this year (and basically since 2004) plays opposing teams that are stacked with NBA level competition. Argentina/Spain/Brazil I would say are higher quality opponents than anything the 1992 team ever faced.

croatia had 5 NBA players. Drazen Petrovic (hall of famer), Toni two cocks, Dino Radja (best nba season 19.7 ppg 9.8 rpg 50%FG. he could ball, 6'11), Zan Tabak, & Strojko Vrankovic. (2 7 footers)

lithuania had Sabonis in his prime(hall of famer mainly because how good he was before he even wen to the nba, he was past his prime when he went to the nba), & Sarunas Marciulionis(a really solid nba player especially in 1992, he avg 18.9 ppg that year. 21.3 ppg 53%FG in the playoffs for GSW that year as well. i remember seeing him play in the NBA, he was good)

germany had Detlef Schrempf

and those saying Bird was useless then, well he avg 20.2 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 6.8 apg thay year for a 51 win team. if that's useless give me that useless production any day! fact is he was still Larry Bird, & he could still ball, period. just watch tape, & look at his numbers that year

Raps18-19 Champ
07-28-2012, 01:57 AM

Kobe<Jordan
Durant>Bird
Lebron>Barkley
Dwight>Robinson

:laugh2:

Did you just say Dwight is better than Robinson?

IKnowHoops
07-28-2012, 02:39 AM
he was on the 1996 team. Hakeem, Shaquille, & Robinson. 2nd best usa team ever in my opinion

The 96 team could be better than the 92 team.

92 and 96 team are better than the 2012 team but the 2012 team could definitely beat both teams. College players beat the 92 team so the 2012 team could definitely get a win. The 2012 team would loose to both in a 7 game series.

But if you took all the 7 footers off the court, the 2012 team would beat every USA team that ever was. But the fact is, the 92 and 96 teams are stacked with 4 of the top ten centers ever, and the 2012 team has crap for centers in comparison.

The 92 and 96 teams would slow the game down and just play real solid nba possession basketball going inside and out and there is nothing the 2012 team could do about it.

then defensively in a half court game you got guys like David and Shaq protecting the inside, it would be alot harder for 2012 team to score than it would be for 92 or 96. If Bosh and Howard were playing, they would still be out gunned inside, but it might just be enough to win a 7 game series, but i DOUBT IT. Shaq and David would abuse dwight and bosh still, and especially Shaq. He was unstoppable. Not to mention hakeem too in 96.

2012 has a slight edge over the 92 and 96 teams in 1,2,3 spots, but the 92 and 96 teams have a land slide in talent at the 5, and if they play Shaq and David, Shaq and Hakeem at the same time in 96 then its also a landslide at the 4 too.

Da Knicks
07-28-2012, 02:44 AM
You mean Durant and Lebron right? we all know ur a melo fan but lets be realistic here.

This posts shows how old you are, Barkley was the leading scorer on that team and either Melo or Bron could really give him fits on both ends while Durant would just get abused. That would actually be the chance this team would have on offense with melo or bron being guarded by Barkley creating mismatches. The game against Spain showed how melo cannot be stopped on offense. Barkley on bron would lead to bron attacking the basket and either scoring or finding the open man.

IKnowHoops
07-28-2012, 02:47 AM
It's pretty simple guys...

92s big men would annihilate Love and Chandler... it's not even funny how much more talent there is at the C and PF spots with the 92 team.

A prime Jordan would make today's Kobe eat his **** on both ends of the court, period.

Pippen would be on top of Lebron like white on rice. Unless the refs are calling touch fouls, as if basketball were not a physical sport, Lebron would not put up the great numbers we are used to seeing from him. Pippen was as good if not better than Lebron defensively, and that's a conservative estimate.

CP3 would not have a chance against Stockton or Magic. Stockton was simply better at every facet of the game. Magic would simply run him over on offense, that would be another mismatch. Westbrook would be the present team's only chance at PG due to his defensive presence and athleticism.

So essentially the only positive matchup today's team would have is Lebron vs. Pippen. And even then Pippen is considered to be the best perimeter defender in the history of the game by many. The 92 team wouldn't even need Bird to dominate. And don't tell me Durant would be a game-changer because Scottie would own him on both sides of the court, not a good matchup for Durant there. And you also can't put Lebron at PF when his post game is pretty close to non-existent, while he excels when he's driving to the hoop.

Neither Stockton or Magic could guard CP3, Deron Williams, or Westbrook.

Jordan is obviously unstoppable, but Kobe is pretty dang good and Durant would be a very hard cover for Jordan. Lebron, Durant and Melo are offensively better than Scottie. Scotties D is good, but he isnt as good against strong guys like Bron and Melo. I watched jamal Mashburn put up 50 against Scottie when mash was on Dallas. Melo has a similar game to Mashburn and Lebron can do whatever he wants.

92 team is still better, but 2012 team definitely could beat them at least once in a 7 game series.

IKnowHoops
07-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Exactly lol.

Dwight is a FINE center. Great! Its just that's how good the Centers from the 90's were. Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson...hell even Mourning would all be better than Dwight...and that's saying a lot when Dwight is a top 5 player int he league today

Saying Dwight is better than David Robinson is like saying lady gaga has a better voice than Whitney Houston. It means your to young. I wouldnt say that you dont know basketball because its impossible for anyone to have watched both and think Dwight is better. Nobody knows that little basketball. 71 points, A quadruple double, a scoring title. Take your pick of things that David has that Dwight will never come close to having. Really stop with that Kind of talk. Dwight is not in that class. Rudy hernandez dunked on him in the olympics for crying out loud. David would of sent that ish back so hard and so fast. There hasnt been a great center since shaq, and when shaq played there were 3 other great center playing.

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Neither Stockton or Magic could guard CP3, Deron Williams, or Westbrook.

Jordan is obviously unstoppable, but Kobe is pretty dang good and Durant would be a very hard cover for Jordan. Lebron, Durant and Melo are offensively better than Scottie. Scotties D is good, but he isnt as good against strong guys like Bron and Melo. I watched jamal Mashburn put up 50 against Scottie when mash was on Dallas. Melo has a similar game to Mashburn and Lebron can do whatever he wants.

92 team is still better, but 2012 team definitely could beat them at least once in a 7 game series.
Magic would have a far better chance of gaurding them, than them guarding him. 6'9 posts up like an old school center. he'd abuse them, far more than they would get by him. if he couldn't always stay in front of them he'd lead them straight into David Robinson, & Ewing to alter or block their shot. that's assuming he'd guard them at all. he might take Durant or Melo, or he could even guard chandler if they needed him to. Stockton could definitely guard them, he was a great defender. he made many all defensive teams. if he could guard Isiah Thomas, Tim Hardaway, Garry Payton, Kevin Johnson, Nick Van Excel, etc in their prime he could guard them too. i think Magic & Stockton would dominate the pg play, & that's no disrespect to westbrook, paul, & deron. Magic & Stockton were just on another level

Trueblue2
07-28-2012, 04:58 AM
True most likely this would win (Most people don't know Bird was useless by then) but I just wouldn't say they would destroy that team just because of Michael Jordan. I mean his nature wouldn't let them slip away too easy. I never really bet with 100% confidence against any team that has the GOAT in it (Reminds me of 90's ball and those helpless faces of Knicks and Jazz teams) haha...

But their other forwards were pippin, mullin, barkley, laetner, and malone. And Bird wasn't exactly useless, he wasn't in his prime, but to call him useless is a bit of an overstatement. And people talking hypotheticals about what if Dwight/Wade/Bosh were playing, but what if Shaq or Hakeem got taken instead of Laetner (as the college player) and Isiah Thomas was on the team (instead of Bird, magic, or Mullin)?

Maybe in 10 years history will see the two teams as more equal than we do now, but I don't think you can put together a team of NBA players of ANY nationality now a days that would be better than:

Stockton/Magic
Jordan/Drexler
Pippin/Mullin/Bird
Malone/Barkely/Laettner
Robinson/Ewing

Even with Magic coming out of retirement and Bird being in his last years. Magic didn't retire because he didn't have game any more, he retired because he was sick, and when he came to play for USA he still had PLENTY of game. Bird wasn't playing at the highest level of his career but he and Laettner were the teams worst players, Laettner averaged 18 ppg in the 1991-1992 season and bird averaged 20. Bird shot 40% from 3 in 92, that's far from useless, especially for someone that was 3rd on the depth chart. Plus the current team would have nowhere near the size to defend malone/barkley/robinson/ewing, at the 4 and 5 the 92 team beats the 2012 team hands down even with dwight, blake, and bosh, and neither team is clearly better 1-3. CP3, Westbrook, Kobe, Durrant, Lebron, and williams is impressive, but the 92 team had two of the best pg's to ever play the game in magic and stockton not to mention jordan, drexler, mullin, and pippin.

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 05:11 AM
someone needs to man up & build a damn time machine already, & go kidnap the dream team to play a best of 7 series against 2012 (or 08). i call sweep against both, but 08 would have a better chance to pull an upset & get 1 game, i just highly doubt they would. 1996 would beat 2012 or 2008 as well

hidalgo
07-28-2012, 05:56 AM
i think 1992 could play David Robinson & Patrick Ewing both at once. imagine this lineup vs 2012

PG. Magic Johnson
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. Scottie Pippen
PF. David Robinson
C . Patrick Ewing

that's murderers row. David Robinson was that great defensively, he could guard their PFs or even SFs, he was really quick footed especially then. or even play Malone along with them & rebound EVERTHING, lol

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Could they beat them? Potentially less. Would they beat them in a seven game series? Not a chance in hell.

Even the 72-win Bulls lost to some $#!TTY teams, but they didn't lose to anybody in a seven-game series. The original Dream Team was just that, a dream team. The current dream team is more like an All-Star team. I mean, just look at the match-ups in the front court. Ewing and Robinson against Chandler and Love? Then you got Malone and Barkley at PF vs. Griffen and whatever small forward coach K happens to have rotating in at the PF spot? They'd get destroyed at that position. Obivously they'd also lose the SG position as BOTH Drexler and Jordan are better than any SG on the current Olympic roster. And PG goes to the original team as well (I'd take Magic or Stockton over any PG in the history of the game). The only position the current dream team would win is SF. They would dominate that position, but the other 4 go to the original Dream Team.

And just look at the margin of victory between the two teams. I know international players are better these days, but no way the original dream team would only be winning by single digits.

MadBomber
07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
maybe its just me but the more i watch this team play it makes me like the dream team that much more

+1

MadBomber
07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Could they beat them? Potentially less. Would they beat them in a seven game series? Not a chance in hell.

Even the 72-win Bulls lost to some $#!TTY teams, but they didn't lose to anybody in a seven-game series. The original Dream Team was just that, a dream team. The current dream team is more like an All-Star team. I mean, just look at the match-ups in the front court. Ewing and Robinson against Chandler and Love? Then you got Malone and Barkley at PF vs. Griffen and whatever small forward coach K happens to have rotating in at the PF spot? They'd get destroyed at that position. Obivously they'd also lose the SG position as BOTH Drexler and Jordan are better than any SG on the current Olympic roster. And PG goes to the original team as well (I'd take Magic or Stockton over any PG in the history of the game). The only position the current dream team would win is SF. They would dominate that position, but the other 4 go to the original Dream Team.

And just look at the margin of victory between the two teams. I know international players are better these days, but no way the original dream team would only be winning by single digits.

that's some common sense right there son! +1

stawka
07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Larry Bird on whether this team would beat THE Dream Team
"They probably could. I haven't played in 20 years and we're all old now."

LMFAO! Just came across this now, I have a new-found respect for Larry. This was too funny

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/larry-bird-dream-team-kobe-response/

bucketss
07-31-2012, 12:33 AM
This posts shows how old you are, Barkley was the leading scorer on that team and either Melo or Bron could really give him fits on both ends while Durant would just get abused. That would actually be the chance this team would have on offense with melo or bron being guarded by Barkley creating mismatches. The game against Spain showed how melo cannot be stopped on offense. Barkley on bron would lead to bron attacking the basket and either scoring or finding the open man.

not really durant is skinny yes but he makes up for it with his length plus lebron and durant mesh better on offense.

richiesaurus310
08-01-2012, 06:39 AM
This team woulda beat the dream team in 1992, and were also all elgible to be on team usa in 1992

Isiah Thomas
Joe Dumars
Dominique Wilkens
Dennis Rodman
Shaquille O'neal

Gary Payton
Reggie Miller
Shawn Kemp
Alonzo Mourning
Tim Hardaway
Mitch Richmond
Grant Hill

Coach Phil Jackson

flatbush knicks
08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
lmao what a dumb thread the 92 dream would mop the floor with the 2012 team the reason is because of size ewing and robinson would have a field day as soon as chandler left the game and lets not bring up mj please guys stop it

hidalgo
08-01-2012, 07:41 AM
This team woulda beat the dream team in 1992, and were also all elgible to be on team usa in 1992

Isiah Thomas
Joe Dumars
Dominique Wilkens
Dennis Rodman
Shaquille O'neal

Gary Payton
Reggie Miller
Shawn Kemp
Alonzo Mourning
Tim Hardaway
Mitch Richmond
Grant Hill

Coach Phil Jacksonthat team wouldn't beat the dream team, but i think they'd whoop 2012s team. i'll say this in a 7 game series it might go 6 against that team you posted vs the dream team, might. Michael & Magic wouldn't be denied

2012s SFs are better, but Pippen could hold them bellow their normal stats, best defensive SF ever

man, even the 2nd string dream team you made would beat 2012s(or 2008), that shows how much better the NBA was then