PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Green finalizing 4 year deal with Celtics

spreadeagle
07-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Jeff Green has agreed to the framework of a four-year, $36 million deal with the Celtics.

"I expect it will be done imminently," Green's agent David Falk said. "Just some collective bargaining issues that changed. Just some details stuff, nothing serious."

Green missed all of last season after undergoing surgery to repair a heart abnormality.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/07/jeff_green_deal.html

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 04:51 AM
$9M per year for a guy who has career numbers of 14 and 5...and is coming off major injury/surgery.

WOW.

And its not like he's really young and still developing or anything either. He's already 26...

People can no longer say that Houston is the team that overpays the most is the NBA....Boston just stole that title imo.

Aust
07-26-2012, 06:04 AM
^That's a little harsh, but yeah I'm anxious to FINALLY see what this guy can do.

Bulls_fan90
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Just glad he's finally healthy. He is overpayed but who isn't in todays NBA? And Boston are well over the cap so I don't see the issue here. But I guess it's normal to hate every contract and move made by any NBA team in the NBA forum.

Aust
07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
He is overpayed but who isn't in todays NBA?

:shrug: True.

Bulls_fan90
07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
$9M per year for a guy who has career numbers of 14 and 5...and is coming off major injury/surgery.

WOW.

And its not like he's really young and still developing or anything either. He's already 26...

People can no longer say that Houston is the team that overpays the most is the NBA....Boston just stole that title imo.

Same age as Dragic was last season.........

......And his career numbers are 8ppg and 3apg. How much did he sign for again?

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Ugh you really want me to get into detail about why Dragic is worth $36M than Green is?

Or could you just do some research on Goran and then believe the obvious?

WHODAT8o8
07-26-2012, 06:27 AM

......And his career numbers are 8ppg and 3apg. How much did he sign for again?

:clap:

Bulls_fan90
07-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Ugh you really want me to get into detail about why Dragic is worth $36M than Green is?

Or could you just do some research on Goran and then believe the obvious?

I'm a Dragic fan, but he's far from a proven product. And he is not worth that contract just like Green isn't worth $36M. But a precedent had been set in the NBA and overpaying players is now the norm. Jeff Green is a solid basketball player and like I said, nearly every NBA player is overpayed. Boston are well over the cap and will be for years to come, I see no problem with the signing. Hope he does well for them.

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm a Dragic fan, but he's far from a proven product. And he is not worth that contract just like Green isn't worth $36M. But a precedent had been set in the NBA and outrageous contracts are now the norm. Jeff Green is a solid basketball player and like I said, nearly every NBA player is overpayed. Boston are well over the cap and will be for years to come, I see no problem with the signing. Hope he does well for them.

I'll agree with that BUT Dragic deserves $36M more than Green imo.

Green has so many ?s. First of all, he's coming off freaking surgery for aortic aneurysm! Investing $9M into a guy like that is a HUGE risk to me. I highly doubt any other team would have given him more than $5M under those conditions. Not saying Green won't go back to being 100% healthy, but its a huge risk.

I think this has more to do with saving face for trading Perkins. Green is who they traded for when traded away KP and it would cause quite a dilemma in Boston if he just walked as a FA since then it would be like they traded Perkins for nothing. They couldn't afford to lose Green to any other team so they overpaid big time to ensure that he stays.

Makes sense within the politics of the NBA, I guess. BTW, is Green even gonna be a starter for the Celtics?

Bulls_fan90
07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm sure the Boston medical staff thoroughly examined his condition/medical records/doctors etc and made sure he was 100% cleared and healthy to continue playing basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a clause in his contract to help act as insurance for Boston. You are right though, I'm sure there will be certain ? hanging over his health.

Teams would have given him much more than 5mill IMO. Look no further than Ak47 and that contract he just signed. He's also 6 years older than Jeff Green lol.

Wade>You
07-26-2012, 08:07 AM
He is overpayed but who isn't in todays NBA?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/miami.htm

Davidgta1
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Good for him hope he comes back strong.

X12Celtics3
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll agree with that BUT Dragic deserves $36M more than Green imo.

Green has so many ?s. First of all, he's coming off freaking surgery for aortic aneurysm! Investing $9M into a guy like that is a HUGE risk to me. I highly doubt any other team would have given him more than $5M under those conditions. Not saying Green won't go back to being 100% healthy, but its a huge risk.

I think this has more to do with saving face for trading Perkins. Green is who they traded for when traded away KP and it would cause quite a dilemma in Boston if he just walked as a FA since then it would be like they traded Perkins for nothing. They couldn't afford to lose Green to any other team so they overpaid big time to ensure that he stays.

Makes sense within the politics of the NBA, I guess. BTW, is Green even gonna be a starter for the Celtics?

Nope, I'm pretty sure he'll be coming off the bench.

KniCks4LiFe
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm not even going to try to make sense of this, b/c it just doesn't. There isn't one specific statline he stands out in. $9M for Jeff Green is completely overpaying.

hugepatsfan
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd say Green is probably worth a little more than MLE money. I'd be comfortable paying him (if healthy) about 7 mil per year. And a young player (26 is young) is always going to get a little more than what he's worth so I don't think this is too much of an overpayment at all.

justinnum1
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM

lol, nice one.

LongWayFromHome
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM

This.

Also "overpayed" is a relative term. It is relative to what other players are making of the same skill level. So there are many players who are not overpayed.

xk4
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Yes. $9M is way too much money for proven starer. And considering the C's have a certain 34 year old small forward on the brink of retirement, it makes no sense to lock him up now. Ainge should be fired. out of a cannon into the sun.

thekmp211
07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not even going to try to make sense of this, b/c it just doesn't. There isn't one specific statline he stands out in. $9M for Jeff Green is completely overpaying.

?? he's an athletic, 6 foot 9 hybrid forward with three point range. dude was redundant in OKC, and never got settled in boston. they wouldn't have re-signed him if he didn't check out with team doctors. boston knows what they are doing.

I'd say Green is probably worth a little more than MLE money. I'd be comfortable paying him (if healthy) about 7 mil per year. And a young player (26 is young) is always going to get a little more than what he's worth so I don't think this is too much of an overpayment at all.

agreed. and he is being groomed to eventually start, or be a 6th man at worst. ya'll need to step back and take a look at the roster after KG and PP's extensions are up and they probably retire.

rondo/bradley/green/sullinger/melo is where we are going with all of this. kris joseph will also likely be a contributor. he may never reach the potential that got him picked #5, but the dude has some real skills that he never got to show off when he was pigeonholed as a stretch four in OKC.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM

WOW.

But here's the thing, Boston has gotten better. Houston hasn't.

thekmp211
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes. $9M is way too much money for proven starer. And considering the C's have a certain 34 year old small forward on the brink of retirement, it makes no sense to lock him up now. Ainge should be fired. out of a cannon into the sun.

lmao

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Honestly, he really hasn't proven much in his young career IMO. But hopefully, the best is yet to come.

PleaseBeNice
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Just glad he's finally healthy. He is overpayed but who isn't in todays NBA? And Boston are well over the cap so I don't see the issue here. But I guess it's normal to hate every contract and move made by any NBA team in the NBA forum.

Isaiah Thomas. Makes less than 1 mil

KniCks4LiFe
07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
?? he's an athletic, 6 foot 9 hybrid forward with three point range. dude was redundant in OKC, and never got settled in boston. they wouldn't have re-signed him if he didn't check out with team doctors. boston knows what they are doing.

I know what he is. Just like I know what he hasn't done in the league. He's not a $9M dollar per yr. player. Nothing in his career has merited that.

Has he ever been top 10 or 20 on defense for a forward? No
Has he ever been top 20 as 3pt shooter? No
Has he ever been top 20 as a rebounder? No
Has he ever been top 20 F in drtg? No
Has he ever been top 20 in any offensive category for his position? No

All I saw was he ranked top 10 in DWS% in 2010. How is he a $9M per yr. F let alone off a career threatening operation no less. With that said I wish him the best of luck.

thekmp211
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I know what he is. Just like I know what he hasn't done in the league. He's not a $9M dollar per yr. player. Nothing in his career has merited that.

Has he ever been top 10 or 20 on defense for a forward? No
Has he ever been top 20 as 3pt shooter? No
Has he ever been top 20 as a rebounder? No
Has he ever been top 20 F in drtg? No
Has he ever been top 20 in any offensive category for his position? No

All I saw was he ranked top 10 in DWS% in 2010. How is he a $9M per yr. F off an career threatening operation no less. With that said I wish him the best of luck.

we shall see. 9/year is not what you are making it out to be in this day and age, which is sad but true nonetheless. again, he has never really been played to his strengths. if he is healthy i expect him to be very good this year.

tuki274
07-26-2012, 01:05 PM

WOW.

First of all, i agree, 9Mil is overpaying but not by much..id be comfortable paying him 5-7mil

BUT how can you say he's not developing and not young at 26??? it's not like he was a scrub or is unproven? He is a very versatile player who just didnt fit in with OKC. How do you expect him to score any more than 15 pts with durant and westbrook anyway. and comparing to dragic...if you think jeff green is overpaid, i think its fair to say so is dragic...BUT i think they are getting overpaid for the same reason which is, as mentioned in a previous post, to lock in a high quality player for the future.

Lastly you gotta be out of your mind to say that BOSTON stole the title for overpaying the most. thats just ridiculous..... I dont even need to go through the teams that overpay WAY more than boston.

keetyweedy
07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
doesn't he have a heart condition or something like that?

Losoway
07-26-2012, 01:32 PM
boston is bugging

not to sound harsh but he is coming off heart surgery . thats very serious

i thought over paying kg was a lil much but this is crazy

Corey
07-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks like Green, Lee, Rondo, Sully, Melo, Bradley are here for the long haul.

One needs to turn into a star scorer soon :sigh:

Corey
07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
boston is bugging

not to sound harsh but he is coming off heart surgery . thats very serious

i thought over paying kg was a lil much but this is crazy

How did they overpay for KG? ~10.5 per season for KG is a fine number.

Did you completely miss what he did last season when he moved to center?

naps
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
And the owners get pesky and lock players out when every CBA expires...hmm...who's to blame now? That's I was always on players side. Owners basically ******** now without thinking which they will have to swallow in a few years and eventually complain again in 10 years when the current CBA expires.

bleedprple&gold
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
9 mil per year is maybe what he's worth at his absolute best, but after sitting out a year how can you justify that contract? We don't even know if he'll ever even be the same player again.