PDA

View Full Version : And the Timberwolves sign....

TeamSeattle
07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Timberwolves sign Russian guard Alexey Shved for $10M over three years

The Minnesota Timberwolves have signed Alexey Shved for $10 million over three season.
The Russian guard has played for CSKA Moscow over the last two years. Joining Shved will be his CSKA Moscow teammate Andrei Kirilenko, who reportedly will be signing a $20 million deal to come to Minnesota.

http://www.iamagm.com/article/timberwolves-sign-russian-guard-alexey-shved-for-10m-over-three-years#.UBB0d6OaWZc

This is getting ridiculous; I'm trying to hold the race stuff but come on man.

shep33
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Wow he and Kirelenko got some really nice contracts.

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Are we sure Prokhorov isn't the owner of the T'wolves as well? Lol.

kenzo400
07-25-2012, 06:49 PM

http://www.iamagm.com/article/timberwolves-sign-russian-guard-alexey-shved-for-10m-over-three-years#.UBB0d6OaWZc

And they were trying to trade Derrick Williams before lol

Aust
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
How many years is AK's deal?

KB-Pau-DH2012
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
How many years is AK's deal?

2 yrs, 2nd yr is a player option.

DerekRE_3
07-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Rick Adelman is racist. He had white and euro guys on the Kings too.

davids22
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
I kind of want to see if an all-white/european team can make the playoffs in the NBA.

thephoenixson28
And they were trying to trade Derrick Williams before lol

For Pau Gasol hahaha

Angry Norwegian
a large number of white players LOLRACISM

The Ooh Child
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
yes, I'm sure this is just a ploy to tap in to the thriving white supremacist market. Everyone knows that white supremacists love basketball, so it makes sense too

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
do not turn this into a race deal, or it gets closed. Before it goes any further please.

jiggin
07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
who the hell are these guys?

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
who the hell are these guys?

Shved was the Russian Rubio a few years ago. He is a 6'6" combo guard who can shoot long distance and is great on the PnR. We will see how his defense translates, and if he can keep under control, but he is athletic, can shoot from anywhere, and can make difficult passes.

HowBoutDemBulls
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Hmm something is going on in Minny. Somebody dont like brothers.

BKLYNpigeon
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
are you happy now Kevin Love?

do you guys think the Wolves make the Playoffs?

thekmp211
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
looks like he has a nice inside outside game for a wing. anyone got moer on him besides youtube?

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
looks like he has a nice inside outside game for a wing. anyone got moer on him besides youtube?

if you want, I can send you some scouts takes.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
are you happy now Kevin Love?

do you guys think the Wolves make the Playoffs?

If Rubio's knee cooperates and we don't have major injuries, yes, the Wolves can make the playoffs next season.

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Just out curiosity, and I promise this is the only racial comment I will make regarding this topic: How do the Timberwolves fans feel about their team adding all white/Euro guys?

thekmp211
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
if you want, I can send you some scouts takes.

please do

Raps18-19 Champ
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM

It's merely a coincidence. But if they like white people on the team, who cares? This isn't the 60's where race issues were headlining sports. This isn't a race issue so we shouldn't even be talking about it.

Not even sure why we are discussing race when it doesn't have any part in the Wolves roster makeup. They just want to try and get a good team. If it happens to be white people, :shrug:.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Just out curiosity, and I promise this is the only racial comment I will make regarding this topic: How do the Timberwolves fans feel about their team adding all white/Euro guys?

as long as they are upgrades, I don't care what color/race/ethnicity they are.

SA5195
07-25-2012, 08:07 PM
who..

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
please do

From Draftexpress, 2010

"His style of play is very similar to the way Goran Dragic played for Phoenix this season. Shved is an even better passer, though. He instinctively makes smart, simple passes within the flow of the offense, but he can also wow you at times with his imagination and his ability to thread the needle and find the open man diving to the rim for an easy basket.."

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2012/07/alexey-shved-scouting-report.html

http://philly.stats.com/nbadraft/players.asp?id=545778&name=Alexey_Shved

Basically, he is looked at as a fast paced, nice shooting, good creating player who thrives in the PnR, can hit from anywhere, make his FT's, but he plays a bit out of control, is thin, and we will see how his defense translates. He apparently blew Adelman away in a workout, so I think he will get rotation minutes early. He has the herky-jerky Euro thing going on, where he can change direction on a dime and split picks. We will see how it translates.

lakers4sho
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
shved is actually pretty decent, if you've seen him play. I watched him play for Russia during the olympic qualifier and he's as much a key player for that team as AK is, maybe even more. Can create shots for himself or his teammates. definitely a qualified backup for rubio, much better than barea or luke ridnour

thekmp211
07-25-2012, 08:26 PM
From Draftexpress, 2010

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2012/07/alexey-shved-scouting-report.html

http://philly.stats.com/nbadraft/players.asp?id=545778&name=Alexey_Shved

Basically, he is looked at as a fast paced, nice shooting, good creating player who thrives in the PnR, can hit from anywhere, make his FT's, but he plays a bit out of control, is thin, and we will see how his defense translates. He apparently blew Adelman away in a workout, so I think he will get rotation minutes early. He has the herky-jerky Euro thing going on, where he can change direction on a dime and split picks. We will see how it translates.

interesting. got to say what i saw of him (and this is not a comparison of quality just skill set) reminded me a bit of manu. defense will prob be an adjustment.

shved is actually pretty decent, if you've seen him play. I watched him play for Russia during the olympic qualifier and he's as much a key player for that team as AK is, maybe even more. Can create shots for himself or his teammates. definitely a qualified backup for rubio, much better than barea or luke ridnour

especially if he plays point. still, seems like he could be pretty solid pickup as a backup option at the 1 and 2. more versatile than ellington. nice move imo.

IndyRealist
07-25-2012, 08:33 PM
I doubt it has to do with skin color, Alderman likes euro players.

Vikingfan84
07-25-2012, 08:51 PM
They want too much money.

Vikingfan84
07-25-2012, 08:56 PM

You should be banned for making a thread about race.

Secondly, is it okay for the other 29 teams to have all black guys?

Let history be history!

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
interesting. got to say what i saw of him (and this is not a comparison of quality just skill set) reminded me a bit of manu. defense will prob be an adjustment.

especially if he plays point. still, seems like he could be pretty solid pickup as a backup option at the 1 and 2. more versatile than ellington. nice move imo.

I saw the same thing, that Manu change of direction and splitting the pick. But I am not daring compare him haha.

0nekhmer
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
wolves are the new Raptors :)

keetyweedy
07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Rick Adelman is racist. He had white and euro guys on the Kings too.

and chris webber & bobby jackson

AddiX
07-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I think these are solid moves for minny, maybe they overpaid, but what choice do they have? I'm curious what andre looks like these days, as he's def not the Ak he was before.

I also think it wouod be very ignorant to ignore the race of the players minny is being brought in. That would like ignoring what Indiana did after the brawl. But at the same time, who cares?

Anyways solid moves for the wolves, I was starting to wonder if they were going to completely flop during free agency.

AddiX
07-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Ps, I also think minny should lock up Nate Robinson. Say what you want about Nate, Nate can come in anytime and turn the game around real quick with his hustle and scoring.

He can be there Bobby Jackson, makes to much sense IMO.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Ps, I also think minny should lock up Nate Robinson. Say what you want about Nate, Nate can come in anytime and turn the game around real quick with his hustle and scoring.

He can be there Bobby Jackson, makes to much sense IMO.

they are short on bigs, they will most likely re-sign Tolliver and be done.

topdog
07-25-2012, 11:12 PM
People who are talking about Minny and race whether serious or not I would suggest this instead: the players assembled are from colder climates generally so we don't have to hear about "I don't want to play in Minnesota - it's too cold."

Overall, I think it points to a progression in basketball where we are having a European influx rather than the tradition of only the tallest making it.

Oefarmy2005
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
I am really excited about Shved, much more than anyone else the Wolves picked up. I think he will eventually be a very nice starting SG in the NBA.

Oefarmy2005
07-25-2012, 11:18 PM
People who are talking about Minny and race whether serious or not I would suggest this instead: the players assembled are from colder climates generally so we don't have to hear about "I don't want to play in Minnesota - it's too cold."

Overall, I think it points to a progression in basketball where we are having a European influx rather than the tradition of only the tallest making it.

Haha, I was just going to mention it. Pek, Shved and Kirilenko are all cold climate guys and should enjoy the Minnesota winters. I guess so is Steisma, since he is a local kid.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 11:26 PM
The average winter temp in Moscow is 20. The average winter temp in Minneapolis is 22. They both left for the warm climate, that is obvious.

topdog
07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
The average winter temp in Moscow is 20. The average winter temp in Minneapolis is 22. They both left for the warm climate, that is obvious.

lol I was going to say that, if anything, they'd complain that Minnesota was too warm :p

cubfan23
07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
lol this is why racism still exists in America...people claim that things have to do with race when it doesn't at all...funny people

Sota4Ever
07-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Exactly

kblo247
07-25-2012, 11:44 PM
I think race is only being talked about because of the fact the only white team people grew accustomed to in the league was the Jazz post Malone, but now it's just weird to see another team do it, especially when Minny in their day were mostly black with Wally being the outlier. Also the issue of are you whitening the team just to whiten comes into play, such as what Indy did post JO, but unlike with Indy the wolves can't possibly get worse on the court for doing so.

Could be a solid signing, could be bad, up just got to see how he adjusts to full time nba life and of he will want to stay after one season or bolt when he isn't treated like a big fish

goalie
07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
They are signing people that have interest in their team. Show me which black player wanted to sign with MIN and the team said "no we are going with Jackie Moon instead."

Did they turn down Ray Allen in favor of Alexey Shved? Were they the only team after Kirilenko?

Wes Johnson isn't being moved because of race, but he is being moved over color and that color is green.

kblo247
07-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Wes is getting moved because of brown, as in he is ****

Wasted a ****ijng fantasy pick in that piece of ****

spreadeagle
07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
lol anytime I mention this sort of stuff with Raptors, you get called out for even mentioning race... because if you mention how weird it is to have almost all white nba team on psd you get called a racist because mentioning the word race is racist, and noticing its odd to see an almost all white nba team is also racist, because saying basketball use to be a mostly black dominated sport is racist... also im a white guy

Hype
07-26-2012, 12:07 AM
These guys aren't even white, Rubio is Spanish. Wolves still have Cunningham, Derrick Williams and Roy. Race aside, every pickup was a clear upgrade over what we had last year, I don't see how the rest of the league is gonna hold this team down, Wolves just got deadly real quick. Can't imagine there's any more moves coming, we've had to have spent all the money by now replacing the entire team basically

Hype
07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
That being said, if we can find a role for Nate Robinson I'd be all for it, just think our team is a little too bloated w/ players right now.

Shved
Roy
Love
Williams
Kililenko
Buddinger
Ridnour
Barea
Steimer
Rubio
Cunningham

As much as I like Robinson, when would he even play?

Hype
07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I love that Williams is still here too. Dude is going to be a monster this year, quote it.

Gritz
07-26-2012, 12:13 AM
do not turn this into a race deal, or it gets closed. Before it goes any further please.

race, race, race

Losoway
07-26-2012, 02:42 AM
adelman is racist

Hellcrooner
07-26-2012, 03:09 AM
These guys aren't even white, Rubio is Spanish. Wolves still have Cunningham, Derrick Williams and Roy. Race aside, every pickup was a clear upgrade over what we had last year, I don't see how the rest of the league is gonna hold this team down, Wolves just got deadly real quick. Can't imagine there's any more moves coming, we've had to have spent all the money by now replacing the entire team basically

Most spanish from Spain EUROPE are WHITE.
And rubio is one of them.

OUtside usa, and even in usa before 1970 there wasnt any "spanish" race.
Its a made up "race" figured out by RACISTS in fact..

mikekhelxD
07-26-2012, 03:27 AM

Or maybe teams doesn't want someone who isn't a brother, brother.

mvb815
07-26-2012, 04:03 AM
why are mods so concerned about the race card? it's just a fan's opinion, even though it's turning into a well structered one. this is 2012 who cares

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 04:40 AM
So is Minnesota gonna have 4 very capable PGs?

Rubio, Barea, Ridnour, Shved....isn't that too many PGs? Oh wait, Kahn is the same guy who drafted like 5 PGs in one draft right?

Carry on.

Byronicle
07-26-2012, 04:46 AM
aren't most teams in the NBA trying to have only black guys? now that a team gets mostly white guys, its considered racist?

naps
07-26-2012, 05:10 AM
AK47 is getting a 2 year $20 millions :speechless:

Vikes907
07-26-2012, 06:25 AM
All these race comments r so dumb.... so the clippers do not have a single white person on there roster... so r they racist too? Lay off the wolves and stick to sports...

Heediot
07-26-2012, 06:42 AM
IT's going to be tough making the playoffs in the west even with the nice additions on Minny. I think OKC, LAC, LAL, SA, MEM are the only locks. It looks to be a battle between Den, Dal, Utah, Minny, and GS for the last two spots. Houston might be a sleeper, yeah I said it. Sac has a lot of talent, but not enough intangibles. NO is another sleeper team as well. The west is loaded as usual.

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Funny, Memphis only has ONE WHITE PLAYER on their roster yet people don't seem to care about that....

meloman1592
07-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Funny, Memphis only has ONE WHITE PLAYER on their roster yet people don't seem to care about that....

Majority of the nba is black my friend

meloman1592
07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
This is kinda weird though...their projected starting 5 is all non black. Interesting

king4day
07-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Going to shut this one down since it's turned into a race thread again.