PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #4 SF In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2012 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Danny Granger
7) Luol Deng
8) Rudy Gay
9) Gerald Wallace
10) Danilo Gallinari

2010 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Gerald Wallace
7) Andre Iguodala
8) Rudy Gay
9) Luol Deng
10) Ron Artest

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

The_Jamal
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
PP still here

NBA-GMaster
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Iggy for me..

IversonIsKrazy
Still got Pierce here. I think the SF position is worse than the SG position my god. We were complaining about lack of SG talent, after #4, this is not so great.

DragonJaii
Pierce

SugeKnight
07-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Iggy

koetravis
07-25-2012, 12:06 AM
I think towards the end of this poll(9 or 10), Chandler Parsons should be added to the poll.

Zefflin
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Pizzy

Swashcuff
07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Homer in me chose Iggy but I honestly think Pierce may be more deserving. Either way it was a push and I gave Iggy the edge for being the MVP of his team despite not being a big time scorer.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Iggy in a landslide.

Jets012
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
I voted Iggy. Very close, but one could argue that Iguodala is the best perimeter defender in the league. Iggy actually had a higher OWS and ORTG than Pierce this year. Iggy is also a better rebounder. And if Iggy was used as much as Pierce is, Iguodala would put up far better #s.

rickshaw
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Still got Pierce here. I think the SF position is worse than the SG position my god. We were complaining about lack of SG talent, after #4, this is not so great.

Difference between 4 and 7ish isn't that big. Definitely better top 10 than SG.

Knicks21
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Pierce here.

Dade County
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I picked Rudy Gay.

Gagan136
07-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Iggy or Pierce, i took Iggy this time.

MintBerryCrunch
07-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Toss up between Iggy and Pierce, after #5 it Should be Rudy

Baller1
07-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Iggy then Pierce.

Chacarron
07-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Iggy then Pierce.

Raye
07-25-2012, 02:09 AM
I think iggy deserves it here but some mobs of celtics fans will vote otherwise

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Igoudala, there's a reason that Pierce isn't on the USA Team and Igoudala is.

DragonJaii
07-25-2012, 02:18 AM
wow this one is pretty close.

greg_ory_2005
07-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Igoudala, there's a reason that Pierce isn't on the USA Team and Igoudala is.
That's a stupid reason to judge how good a player is.

Riff Raff
07-25-2012, 03:42 AM
I voted Paul Pierce

MrFastBreak
07-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Pierce was third. Its Iggy's turn

nbrod
07-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Iggy

X12Celtics3
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
I voted Iggy. Very close, but one could argue that Iguodala is the best perimeter defender in the league. Iggy actually had a higher OWS and ORTG than Pierce this year. Iggy is also a better rebounder. And if Iggy was used as much as Pierce is, Iguodala would put up far better #s.

Iggy played slightly more minutes per game than Pierce, the reason his stats aren't is good is because he isn't a standout player on offense. Just for the sake of argument, though, if they DID play the same amount of minutes, their stats would look more like that...

Per 36 Minutes:
Pierce: 20.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.2 steals, .5 blocks
Iggy: 12.6 points, 6.2 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.7 steals, .5 blocks

It barely changes for Iggy (whose 35.6 minutes per game is pretty damn close to 36), but gives a nice little boost to Pierce for those two minutes that he isn't in the game :p

SteBO
07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I hate him, but I got Paul Pierce here. Iggy has a legit argument though.

alencp3
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
i seriously think michael kidd gilchrist might be better than everyone on this list

voted paul pierce though

DR_1
07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

sixer04fan
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM

The SF position is MUCH better than SG. You kidding me?

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
That's a stupid reason to judge how good a player is.

How?

And I never that's the "only" reason he's better. Other facts like Igoudala being an All Star, better numbers, efficiency, better D etc all factor in.

Swashcuff
07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
i seriously think michael kidd gilchrist might be better than everyone on this list

voted paul pierce though

That is not what the question is asking. MHC clearly states it in the opening posts in every single one of these threads that this is about who is the best player NOT the player who has the potential to be the best.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:45 AM
pisses me of how so many peopel say Durant better then Melo when Durant has so much more help. Its so close it might be a tie between Melo/Kd id take melo because he cant be pushed around and is better at getting his own shot.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Iggy is a better number 2 or 3 option then pierce would make, but Paul is still clutch in money time iggy fold like a cheap suit

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

wow :facepalm: iggy was selected over gay for the national team, hes been better over his career than deng, granger doesnt play a lick of defense or give u what iggy gives u as a playmaker and pierce is too old iggy has em all

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Iggy is a better number 2 or 3 option then pierce would make, but Paul is still clutch in money time iggy fold like a cheap suit

kinda like how he made that big 3 in game 6 vs the celtics right? or those two big free throws to send chicago packing? :clap:

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
kinda like how he made that big 3 in game 6 vs the celtics right? or those two big free throws to send chicago packing? :clap:

even a broken clock is right 2 times a day i seen some stat where he was like 0-17 on game winnining or tieing shots. I have no prob with iggy like him actually and hate pierce. Iggy would be perfect pippen for Melo.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
even a broken clock is right 2 times a day i seen some stat where he was like 0-17 on game winnining or tieing shots. I have no prob with iggy like him actually and hate pierce. Iggy would be perfect pippen for Melo.

sure thats not lebron's stats? :rolleyes:

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
sure thats not lebron's stats? :rolleyes:

I hate that coward Lebron his ring is like a gold medal to me he is about to make history first player to ever win 2 gold medals!:clap:

Lucky.
07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I can post but I still can't vote on polls. So you can add 1 to Pierce.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
pisses me of how so many peopel say Durant better then Melo when Durant has so much more help. Its so close it might be a tie between Melo/Kd id take melo because he cant be pushed around and is better at getting his own shot.

Well yeah you're Knicks fan of course you would say that. Melo is barely top 15.

Rivera
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

:facepalm:

ball4reel
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
PP for me

Jetsguy
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Pp

Chavacano
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
The Truth.

King41
07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
iggy
pierce

Bruno
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM

voted paul pierce though

That is not what the question is asking. MHC clearly states it in the opening posts in every single one of these threads that this is about who is the best player NOT the player who has the potential to be the best.

...yeah. that's why he still voted for pierce. he doesn't have to ask for your permission to mention a given players potential.

Bruno
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd take Iggy for the long haul of a regular season, but I'd still want Pierce in the playoffs. i'd call this one a wash, can't decide.

aussie
07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
iggy

tredigs
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Are you his minion? Calm down guy, he's including a thought with his response... more than 90% of the posts here entail: "Iggy". "Pierce". Might as well just vote on the poll, those comments are worthless.

To me this Pierce/Iggy debate depends on just how much you value defensive prowess and overall court intensity. Makes it tougher that they're SF's, also. It's the position on the cusp of where defense becomes increasingly important (For example PG defense to me is like having a great defender at forward in in soccer... it's nice, but ultimately you still have your help behind you if you get beat. That is the case less and less as you get to SG>SF>PF>C. Which is a big reason why paint protectors - like sweepers - are the most important players defensively).

Ultimately, I'll still take Pierce. Iggy just wasn't potent enough offensively last year to make the leap past an aging PP. If you're putting up 12 points a game, I want a TS% above .537. It's his ability at drawing contact (or reticence to) and sorry foul shooting that kills him. High impact but ultimately unpolished player. Pierce really has no major hole in his game.

JLynn943
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll take Iggy consistently stellar defense over Pierce's highly inconsistent all-around game any day of the week.

phlp_bj
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

agree with you riv. double :facepalm:

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Gimme Paul Pierce. He had a down year, but so did CARMELO and that didn't keep him from the no. 3 spot.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd take Iggy for the long haul of a regular season, but I'd still want Pierce in the playoffs. i'd call this one a wash, can't decide.

Go with your gut.

SteBO
07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I guess it depends on what you value more. I loved Iggy's overall consistency throughout the regular season. He had a lot of good moments in the playoffs as well. I was very hesitant w/ this one for that reason, since Pierce's level of consistency to me wasn't as good. But I'd still take Pierce in the playoffs any day, and part of me wishes Iggy would look for his own offense more. For these reasons, I took Pierce, but only slightly. If Iggy were to win this poll, I'd have no issues with it whatsoever.

SteBO
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Gimme Paul Pierce. He had a down year, but so did CARMELO and that didn't keep him from the no. 3 spot.
Curious, where would you have put Carmelo on this poll?

Lucky.
07-25-2012, 02:17 PM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

agree with you riv. double :facepalm:

Triple? :facepalm:

seikou8
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
you want the truth you cant handle the truth

DaddyCool
07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
If Iguodala wasn't a horrid FT shooter, I think this would be hands down Iggy. However, I'd still go with Iggy. Best perimeter defender in the game outside of Lebron, best point forward at Sf outside of Lebron, and a terrific defender at the SF.

NYMetros
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Pierce

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Curious, where would you have put Carmelo on this poll?

It was his worst season as a pro, but you would have to be a Knicks fan to truly understand just how horrible he was this year.

I'd give Pierce, Iggy, and maybe even Granger the edge over him based on pure principle.

No higher than #5.

seikou8
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
It was his worst season as a pro, but you would have to be a Knicks fan to truly understand just how horrible he was this year.

I'd give Pierce, Iggy, and maybe even Granger the edge over him based on pure principle.

No higher than #5.

sorryy but iggy and granger:facepalm:

MrFastBreak
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

Come on man. Pierce that low on the ladder? Guess you dont value defense and efficiency that much.

It goes..
3.Pierce
4.Iggy
5.Melo
6.Gay
7.G Force
8.Deng
9.Gallinari/Granger

Bold = Interchangeable

sorryy but iggy and granger:facepalm:

I mean 1/2 aint bad. Iggy is more valuable to his team with his impactful defense. Of course being more valuable doesnt make you the better player but hey. Melo has a more nice, explosive scoring game, but Iggy is so much more worthy on D than Melo is on the offensive end. On top of that, Melo is an average defender and claims to have improved it but that just tells you how average he really is on that end. Iggys DWS are higher than Melo's OWS. Wow, so Melo's highest strength on the court is easily beat out by a lower tier player. But Melo is a star. Wouldja look at that.:rolleyes: (P.S. I dont know the sarcastic color on PSD so Ill use green)

I give Melo props for his pretty good offensive rebounding and overall rebounding. But Iggy is the better defensive rebounder. Melo does secure the ball better with his high usage but he hogs the ball and chucks like a madman with his bad shot selection, making his efficiency suffer. Wouldnt you rather have a guy who helps his team win than a guy who seems to only care about the name on the back? I could have the wrong perception about Melo, but the way he chucks (bad shots) makes me question his motives. The least he could do is be good at it.

What gives Melo the CLEARCUT advantage over a defensive-savvy guy like Iggy? I dont know, you tell me. What gives Iggy the advantage over an explosive scorer like Melo? His defensive-mindedness and team awareness alone.

Also, Iggys more efficient on offense and I do recognize his much smaller role.

Bash me and refute me all you want, I may be omitting something blatant but I know I have a good enough point to override my omission.

I'll take Iggy consistently stellar defense over Pierce's highly inconsistent all-around game any day of the week.

When PP's shot's not falling, he still contributes in other aspects, not sure what you mean by all around inconsistency when he contributes to the game without having the ball.

It shouldnt even be a discussion between Iggy and Pierce anyway. Its Iggy vs. Melo.

ROTFL, I thought all suits folded unless you meant wrinkle.

theLgndKllr35
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Shutup. If you're actually a Sixers fan, you know goddamn well you don't want Iguodala ISO with the ball the last two minutes. If he has an open shot (which somehow in the playoffs they actual went that route in Best Shot Available) sure, but god knows we sat through too many games where the last two minutes were played 1 on 5.

Still have Iguodala here, much better defender, rebounder, and all around player. He's much more valuable to a team than Pierce right now.

seikou8
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=MrFastBreak;23097878]Come on man. Pierce that low on the ladder? Guess you dont value defense and efficiency that much.

It goes..
3.Pierce
4.Iggy
5.Melo
6.Gay
7.G Force
8.Deng
9.Gallinari/Granger

Bold = Interchangeable

I mean 1/2 aint bad. Iggy is more valuable to his team with his impactful defense. Of course being more valuable doesnt make you the better player but hey. Melo has a more nice, explosive scoring game, but Iggy is so much more worthy on D than Melo is on the offensive end. On top of that, Melo is an average defender and claims to have improved it but that just tells you how average he really is on that end. Iggys DWS are higher than Melo's OWS. Wow, so Melo's highest strength on the court is easily beat out by a lower tier player. But Melo is a star. Wouldja look at that.:rolleyes: (P.S. I dont know the sarcastic color on PSD so Ill use green)

I give Melo props for his pretty good offensive rebounding and overall rebounding. But Iggy is the better defensive rebounder. Melo does secure the ball better with his high usage but he hogs the ball and chucks like a madman with his bad shot selection, making his efficiency suffer. Wouldnt you rather have a guy who helps his team win than a guy who seems to only care about the name on the back? I could have the wrong perception about Melo, but the way he chucks (bad shots) makes me question his motives. The least he could do is be good at it.

What gives Melo the CLEARCUT advantage over a defensive-savvy guy like Iggy? I dont know, you tell me. What gives Iggy the advantage over an explosive scorer like Melo? His defensive-mindedness and team awareness alone.

Bash me and refute me all you want, I may be omitting something blatant but I know I have a good enough point to override my omission.

i know iggy good player he is the better passer and defender but melo is better scorer and rebounder its closer than i thought but ill still have melo.

SeoulBeatz
07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Iggy played slightly more minutes per game than Pierce, the reason his stats aren't is good is because he isn't a standout player on offense. Just for the sake of argument, though, if they DID play the same amount of minutes, their stats would look more like that...

Per 36 Minutes:
Pierce: 20.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.2 steals, .5 blocks
Iggy: 12.6 points, 6.2 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.7 steals, .5 blocks

It barely changes for Iggy (whose 35.6 minutes per game is pretty damn close to 36), but gives a nice little boost to Pierce for those two minutes that he isn't in the game :p

True.

But there's a little thing called defense where Iggy excels. 3 years ago, Pierce was a very good defender, now he's just too slow and he's only effective when getting backed down in the post because he still has strength.

Statistically, Iggy is the #1 perimeter defender, Pierce barely sniffs top 25.

SeoulBeatz
07-25-2012, 08:52 PM

you just lost all credibility.

Honestly, stop being a homer, take a step back, and really ask yourself "Who would I rather have, Durant or Melo?"

Durant is just flat out better.

MrFastBreak
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I already admitted his rebounding is SLIGHTY better and that he is the more explosive scorer. I totally get that. If you havent noticed, I value defense prowess over inefficient chucking. I love Melo but I just wish people would stop elevating his worth than what it is because of his acclaimed scoring explosiveness (I assume). There are quite a few guys above him at his position IMO.

seikou8
07-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I already admitted his rebounding is SLIGHTY better and that he is the more explosive scorer. I totally get that. If you havent noticed, I value defense prowess over inefficient chucking. I love Melo but I just wish people would stop elevating his worth than what it is because of his acclaimed scoring explosiveness (I assume). There are quite a few guys above him at his position IMO.

ok melo carreer or iggy career ok scorer defensive beast or offensive beast with average defense that can lead a team

MrFastBreak
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=MrFastBreak;23097878]Come on man. Pierce that low on the ladder? Guess you dont value defense and efficiency that much.

It goes..
3.Pierce
4.Iggy
5.Melo
6.Gay
7.G Force
8.Deng
9.Gallinari/Granger

Bold = Interchangeable

i know iggy good player he is the better passer and defender but melo is better scorer and rebounder its closer than i thought but ill still have melo.

MrFastBreak
07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Melo leading a team? Nah, hes not that beasty on offense. Just my take. You like who you like.

Hustlenomics
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM

you guys are insane

sunsfan88
07-26-2012, 05:01 AM
All that this really proved is that there are more Boston fans than Philly fans.

yaswaggin
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
All that this really proved is that there are more Boston fans than Philly fans.

i would have voted for iggy if poll wasnt closed, if i voted, means there are 3 more boston fans then sixers fans in psd

"Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER"

:laugh2:

NYMetros
07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
True.

But there's a little thing called defense where Iggy excels. 3 years ago, Pierce was a very good defender, now he's just too slow and he's only effective when getting backed down in the post because he still has strength.

Statistically, Iggy is the #1 perimeter defender, Pierce barely sniffs top 25.

I watched every Celtics game last year. Pierce is a good defender.

DaddyCool
07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Revote! New Poll, only Iggy and Pierce as options.

Sportfan
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Did you even look at the voters?

Only 5 of PP's votes are from Celtic fans :facepalm: More Sixer fans voted for Iggy

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Revote! New Poll, only Iggy and Pierce as options.

Your avatar reeks of awesomeness.

Corey
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
4. Gay
5. Deng
6. Pierce
7. Granger
8. Iggy

Close.

And by close, I mean not close at all.