PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Rockets got Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik, are they relevant???

Pages : [1] 2

bootleg42
07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Do these moves turn them into a team that can make noise in the west????

Raps18-19 Champ
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Neither has even been a consistent starter.

lamar2006
07-24-2012, 11:09 PM
yes. Lin will lead them to 5 titles. Asik is the next Hakeem and Lin is the next Magic Johnson.

sunsfan88
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I can't see them even being better than the Suns to be honest.

bootleg42
07-24-2012, 11:13 PM

If you ask their fans, they swear they're going to be somewhere big this season.

Overspending for mid-level players only leads to being the Kansas City Royals of basketball.

Delusional
07-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Adding an 11 game hero and a guy who averages 4 ppg is not making the Rockets relevant. They lost a lot of talent when they didn't re-sign Dragic, traded Lowry and cut loose of Scola.

Chacarron
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Motiejunas looks like a really good player.

DragonJaii
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
lottery team

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Overpaid for 2 horrible contracts, what is Asik good at? He will be an awful starter..can you say hack and asik

Reyes6
07-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Stop trolling bootleg, I don't understand why you hate the Rockets but this question is just idiotic and irrelevant due to it being July. Please stop bothering the small population of Rockets fans who acknowledge we are not currently contenders. Thank you.

oak2455
07-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Troll thread

nyyfan4life
07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
They are a rebuilding team. They got two young guys who will add to the collection of young talent on that team and hope they can build together. They have plenty of draft picks next season along with cap space. Lin and Asik can both help considering PG and C were their two weakest positions after some of the moves they made. They have a nice expiring contract in Kevin Martin which they can dangle in trade talks as the deadline approaches mid-season. They are definitely a high lottery team if they decide not to get a star player a la Bynum or Howard.

Losoway
07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
is this really a thread?

rockets-fan
07-24-2012, 11:27 PM
If you ask their fans, they swear they're going to be somewhere big this season.

Overspending for mid-level players only leads to being the Kansas City Royals of basketball.

Please try to name one Rockets fan that said this.

You hate on the Rockets so much, stop riding man, give it up. No Rockets fan has said this, we have all agreed we are a high lottery team next year as constructed. You just make up stuff in that little head of yours to make yourself feel better.

rockets-fan
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Overpaid for 2 horrible contracts,what is Asik good at? He will be an awful starter..can you say hack and asik

:facepalm:

Just this little thing call Defense, maybe you've heard of it.

But I do agree we overpaid. Thats just how the market is right now, not like its going to affect of salary cap much, or strangle us financially. Have you seen what our cap hit is right now? We are golden financially right now.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
I love when fans of teams defend their awful team even tho deep down they know its a horrible team and if it was another team they would hate on it. Lin is a dleague player who will get 15 million for having 10 good games. Thats never been heard of. Sickening

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:31 PM
yes. Lin will lead them to 5 titles. Asik is the next Hakeem and Lin is the next Magic Johnson.

this. smh @ this thread :eyebrow: Most teams got better pgs than lin (pg is the deepest position OP) as far as Asik, we'll I'm sure most teams weren't jumping to sign him on day 1.

so to answer your Q relevant, no.
fun to watch, possibly.

quote me on this if I'm wrong but they a hell a lot worse than last year on paper lol

Evolution23
07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Rocket fans think they are about to contend next year. So I'll go with that.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Remember how stupid ESPN was acting after every Lin game.

KingsOfQueens
07-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I love when fans of teams defend their awful team even tho deep down they know its a horrible team and if it was another team they would hate on it. Lin is a dleague player who will get 15 million for having 10 good games. Thats never been heard of. Sickening

You just described yourself. You're one of PSD's biggest jokes.

rockets-fan
07-24-2012, 11:35 PM

Which Rockets fan??? I havent seen any say we're contending.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
You just described yourself. You're one of PSD's biggest jokes.

What? My team is top 3 in the league

KingsOfQueens
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Miami
LA
Brooklyn

No order

Iron24th
07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Lottery team,but I guess that's what they wanted.

alexander_37
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Overpaid for 2 horrible contracts, what is Asik good at? He will be an awful starter..can you say hack and asik

Seriously?? Kris Humphries is getting 12 per year , Javavle Mcgee 11, Asik 8.

What is the big deal you ask? Asik is a better defender and equal or better rebounder then both.

The Rockets may not be a playoff team this year but have a young core of

Lin
Lamb
Parsons
Motie
Asik

Jones
White

multiple 3 1sts in the next 2 years I believe?

rockets-fan
Lin was brought here to make the Rockets money plain and simple.The fact that he has a bit of upside is worth the gamble since were going to be making money either way.

Asik brings a defense in the Center position we havent had in a long time (post yao).
We had Camby and sammy D but niether of those guys were going to be a longterm thing since they were older vets.

Did we overpay, of coarse there is no denying or defending it.

I havent seen one Rockets fan state that we are contenders as we are right now. Go on our forum and go through some threads, 30 games max is what most of us are predicting that we will win. So everyone saying that "Rockets fans think theyre contending haha" b.s just shut up. Yall know nothing about the few Rockets fans in this site.

effen5

22-44 :laugh:

SouthSideRookie
Thank God, being stuck in mediocrity and drafting mid first rounders gets old really fast. I hope you're a high tolerant individual.

Oh the Irony, does Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez ring a bell. The novelty is going to wear out eventually and Net fans will be faced with the harsh reality. Ha ha all this money being thrown around by mr russian just to become one of Lebron's b****.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2012, 11:42 PM
They offered poison pill contracts to both players and are now end up stuck with them. Serves them right. These are awful signings. This does not helped them and destroys their cap flexibility, most especially in the third year of each contract.

I don't know what this team was thinking.

rockets-fan
07-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Lottery team,but I guess that's what they wanted.

THIS.

We either wanted to contend by getting Howard and others, or completely rebuild through the draft. I think we can all agree that both of those options are better than finishing 9th/10th in the west every year.

bootleg42
07-24-2012, 11:43 PM
THIS.

We either wanted to contend by getting Howard and others, or completely rebuild through the draft. I think we can all agree that both of those options are better than finishing 9th/10th in the west every year.

And yet, they'll be 9th-10th every year anyway, lol.

chrism8188
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM
yea we will win 10 titles, just another team trying to do things, nobody is perfect there have been way worse moves in history, we are clearly rebuilding

B-West.Joba
this is comedy.

DoMeFavors
Seriously?? Kris Humphries is getting 12 per year , Javavle Mcgee 11, Asik 8.

What is the big deal you ask? Asik is a better defender and equal or better rebounder then both.

The Rockets may not be a playoff team this year but have a young core of

Lin
Lamb
Parsons
Motie
Asik

Jones
White
multiple 3 1sts in the next 2 years I believe?

Dont compare Humphries to Asik and lol who the hell are the bolded

Fnom11

So you made this thread specifically to bash Houston fans? Seriously?

blystr2002
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
If Lin shows that he can continue to be a good above average pg and 1 or 2 of there draft picks pan out from this year because they did draft several talented players then should be alright in about 2 years. Not to mention the lakers stars will be retiring by then and who knows who the thunder will be able to afford then. I see anywhere from 6th to missing playoffs this year though.

rockets-fan
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
They offered poison pill contracts to both players and are now end up stuck with them. Serves them right. These are awful signings. This does not helped them and destroys their cap flexibility, most especially in the third year of each contract.

hahahah I love your knack of knowledge!

Our cap hit is 8.3 each year!

We will pay the that big third year, but the CAP HIT will be 8.3 million. So how does that destroy our flexibility???
Morey offered a poison pill to the Knicks and Bulls knowing we will not take the same cap hit as they would. Its called the gilbert arenas rule in the CBA look it up.

basically we are PAYING these two 5,5,15

but the CAP HIT is 8.3,8.3,8.3

Get it now?

TheRunKiller
2 overpaid starters that should come off the bench...nope.

Kyben36
two 8 mil guys and neither of them will lead the team like they need, they need that number one guy, and unless their euro guy from last year is it, they will be bad for a while.

effen5
Rockets fan should just ignore this thread. A knick fan being a troll.

BALLER R
07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Miami
LA
Brooklyn

No order

When did the thunder move to Brooklyn?

TheRunKiller
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM

I mean they still could be more relevant than the Nets

SouthSideRookie
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
hahahah I love your knack of knowledge!

Our cap hit is 8.3 each year!

We will pay the that big third year, but the CAP HIT will be 8.3 million. So how does that destroy our flexibility???
Morey offered a poison pill to the Knicks and Bulls knowing we will not take the same cap hit as they would. Its called the gilbert arenas rule in the CBA look it up.

basically we are PAYING these two 5,5,15

but the CAP HIT is 8.3,8.3,8.3

Get it now?

Don't bother explaining, it gets done several times a day and people still don't get it. Anyone who says Lin and Asik are overpaid needs to learn the basics of the poison pill concept.

nyyfan4life
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM

As the roster now stands, I'm sure they are certainly worse than:

Thunder
Spurs
Lakers
Clippers
Grizzliez
Nuggets
T-Wolves
Suns
Mavs

They are probably on the same level as the Kings, Jazz, Trail Blazers and maybe better than the Hornets. They will be in contention for a top 3 pick next year, IMO. Its better to rebuild than be stuck in the mediocrity (7-10) range in the west.

effen5
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
I mean they still could be more relevant than the Nets

I'll be shocked if the Nets won more than 35 games next season.

chrism8188
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM

hahahahahahahaha is this dude serious?? your paying joe johnsons contract and you say we are the ones overpaying??? lol i agree we are overpaying but its not horrible.

top 3??? you are crazy

heat
OKC
Spurs
Lakers
Mavs/Clippers
Nets

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:55 PM
hahahahahahahaha is this dude serious?? your paying joe johnsons contract and you say we are the ones overpaying??? lol i agree we are overpaying but its not horrible.

top 3??? you are crazy

heat
OKC
Spurs
Lakers
Mavs/Clippers
Nets

Joe Johnson is an actual NBA all star, Asik and Lin are d leaguers.

And actually if I had to make an order

Nets
Heat
Lakers
OKC
Clippers

BoSox47
They could beat the nets....

effen5

top 3??? you are crazy

heat
OKC
Spurs
Lakers
Mavs/Clippers
Nets

Get the **** out, Nets aren't a top ten team. They won 58 games the LAST THREE SEASON. LAST THREE! You think adding JJ will add more wins?

chrism8188
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Rockets fan should just ignore this thread. A knick fan being a troll.

this

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Get the **** out, Nets aren't a top ten team. They won 58 games the LAST THREE SEASON. LAST THREE! You think adding JJ will add more wins?

Adding JJ, Wallace, Lopez back and an actual good bench

FOBolous

lol which fans are you talking about. NO rockets fan is under the delusion that these two player will lead the Rockets into the playoffs. We're rebuilding. Lin and Asik are just two young players we added during the rebuilding process.

I think the goal is to be done rebuilding in 3 years. Lin and Asik would be good complimentry pieces/role players next to whatever star(s) we get after 3 years.

chrism8188

lol i tried to be nice

AndyfromNeptune
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Nets
Heat
Lakers
OKC
Clippers

Personally, I'm a Knicks fan that thinks the Nets are a top 4 team in the East, but I wouldn't recommend making bold predictions until the Nets provide a sample size of what they are. Sounds good?

That being said, I think with the moves they made they are instant championship contenders.

VRP723
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Nets
Heat
Lakers
OKC
Clippers

Lol this guy is awesome

BoSox47
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
^^ was a joke but in all seriousness the nets won what 22 games last year and added joe johnson and now they are a top team in the league?

Atlanta had a better team around JJ then the nets do lets be serious.

Deron williams .423 shooting percentage past 3 seasons and .407 last year while playing in i think its less then 60% of his teams games the past 3 years. Thats all the nets have.

I just dont see how the team goes from a 22 win team to a top team in the east, especially since joe johnson is an isolation shooter basically a poor mans carmelo and not a good defender.

effen5
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
lol i tried to be nice

It takes them three ****in seasons to either equal or beat the amount of wins as the bulls, heat, spurs, and thunder in one season.

BoSox47
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM

ya adding cj watson and his .368 fg% will really help out

effen5
07-25-2012, 12:03 AM

So bunch of players that play mediocre defense?

Atlanta with JJ had a much better team than what the Nets have now.

DoMeFavors
07-25-2012, 12:04 AM
^^ was a joke but in all seriousness the nets won what 22 games last year and added joe johnson and now they are a top team in the league?

Atlanta had a better team around JJ then the nets do lets be serious.

Deron williams .423 shooting percentage past 3 seasons and .407 last year while playing in i think its less then 60% of his teams games the past 3 years. Thats all the nets have.

I just dont see how the team goes from a 22 win team to a top team in the east, especially since joe johnson is an isolation shooter basically a poor mans carmelo and not a good defender.

Joe Johnson is a great catch and shoot shooter, and hasnt played with a good pg since Nash, and Deron has never played with a good sg.

NaSh-sanity
07-25-2012, 12:04 AM
nope

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 12:05 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Cbf7rnRp74c/TsWfFt8qEWI/AAAAAAAAAGI/BkIdnIb0Q-g/s1600/troll-spray.jpg

effen5
07-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Nets = the Knicks of the 2000 decade.

They are in salary cap hell for the next couple of years.

Enjoy.

Zefflin
07-25-2012, 12:06 AM
The Wolves will be A LOT better...

TheRunKiller
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM

Enjoy.

lol

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM

Why not??

Clearly you didn't watch the summer league .... Lamb was summer league co-mvp.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/23/3173543/nba-summer-league-2012-rankings-rookies-damian-lillard

FOBolous
07-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Joe Johnson is a great catch and shoot shooter, and hasnt played with a good pg since Nash, and Deron has never played with a good sg.

yea. true. but joe johnson is still not good enough to be the player that puts a team over the proverbial hump. he's just a borderline all-star. Gerald Wallace is probably going to be injured comes playoff time. And Lopez will continue to struggle with defending and rebounding.

DoMeFavors
07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
yea. true. but joe johnson is still not good enough to be the player that puts a team over the proverbial hump. he's just a borderline all-star. Gerald Wallace is probably going to be injured comes playoff time. And Lopez will continue to struggle with defending and rebounding.

Its not about one person taking Nets any place its about coming together.

cssdmark
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Miami
LA
Brooklyn

No order

Miami and LA, true that but Brooklyn your looking at 7th in the East.

Swift Game
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't think so. They will have a tough time just getting the 8th seed in next seasons playoffs. I am pretty sure the Wolves will make the playoffs. I think the Warriors, Blazers, Suns, Jazz, Dallas, New Orleans and Kings could have a better record than them.

They will take a huge step back before they go forward. They gutted their whole team...Lowry, Dragic, Scola, Lee and Buddinger.....

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:15 AM

I did the HW for you, because it's better to answer than insult. In his limited time in 2011/12 Omer Asik was a top 5 defensive big, add to that he's 25. You see what happened w/ Humphries? dejavu here. Top 10 big in blocks % and stls %. Houston is paying for what he may become. As for the offense, they have Chandler Parsons, and are high on this Mont kid. Who's like another Gallanari. Almost like Tele but a better upside. Add to that they are banking on Jeremy Lin to make them better. He did it for Jared Jefferies and Landry Fields he can certainly do it for them.

cssdmark
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Yes for the first pick in the draft.

John Walls Era

Nets are probably the best team in NY. But Nets fans can't talk about overpaid contracts in a different tune...

alexander_37
I did the HW for you, because it's better to answer than insult. In his limited time in 2011/12 Omer Asik was a top 5 defensive big, add to that he's 25. You see what happened w/ Humphries? dejavu here. Top 10 big in blocks % and stls %. Houston is paying for what he may become. As for the offense, they have Chandler Parsons, and are high on Mont kid. Who's like another Gallanari. Almost like Tele but a better upside. Add to that they are banking on Jeremy Lin to make them better. He did it for Jared Jefferies and Landry Fields he can certainly do it for them.

Motie is more from the Drik mold. An offensively very skilled and agile 7 footer. He will never be a enter because he is too weak but has all the skill in the world.

DoMeFavors
I did the HW for you, because it's better to answer than insult. In his limited time in 2011/12 Omer Asik was a top 5 defensive big, add to that he's 25. You see what happened w/ Humphries? dejavu here. Top 10 big in blocks % and stls %. Houston is paying for what he may become. As for the offense, they have Chandler Parsons, and are high on Mont kid. Who's like another Gallanari. Almost like Tele but a better upside. Add to that they are banking on Jeremy Lin to make them better. He did it for Jared Jefferies and Landry Fields he can certainly do it for them.

You cant judge a player based on limited minutes.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Motie is more from the Drik mold. An offensively very skilled and agile 7 footer. He will never be a enter because he is too weak but has all the skill in the world.

I can't compare that kid to Dirk till he shows it. Although I heard those upsides, IDK if Morrey is thinking of recreating Nash and Dirk here. I do know They do have upside, anything more than the 8th or 7th seed would shock me.

alexander_37
Asik's defensive rating last season was 92 .... That's in the top 30 single season defensive ratings OF ALL TIME. His career average is 95 which ties him at #1 ever.

Obviously those don't count due to the small sample size but at the same time how can you discount that ...

KniCks4LiFe
You cant judge a player based on limited minutes.

But that's how we judge most players in the NBA.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I can't compare that kid to Dirk till he shows it. Although I heard those upsides, IDK if Morrey is thinking of recreating Nash and Dirk here. I do know They do have upside, anything more than the 8th or 7th seed would shock me.

Im not saying he IS Dirk, but he plays the same style of game. except Motie doesn't look like a typical soft Euro excuse the generalization.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Asik's defensive rating last season was 92 .... That's in the top 30 single season defensive ratings OF ALL TIME. His career average is 95 which ties him at #1 ever.

Obviously those don't count due to the small sample size but at the same time how can you discount that ...

It was 2nd to Dwight Howard in 10/11' w/ a 97, this past season he actually improved in defense to a 92, that was top 2 in most games played. Although he was coming off the bench. It's a big risk, but it's like striking gold if Morrey is right.

Becks2307
07-25-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't see how they can be better than last year. Kyle Lowry is better than Lin and probably will be this season too. Not to mention they lost Dragic and Camby.

LA_Raiders
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
lol, no

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 12:30 AM
It was 2nd to Dwight Howard in 10/11' w/ a 97, this past season he actually improved in defense to a 92, that was top 2 in most games played. Although he was coming off the bench. It's a big risk, but it's like striking gold if Morrey is right.

Yest he isn't worth 8 million a year :rolleyes: NBA fans are all about flash but I love players like Asik, Hayes, Noah, and Gortat. They do their jobs put in work and go home. They aren't flashy but they are necessary.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 12:30 AM
lol, no

Thanks for your input, very valuable.

Pistol_Pete
07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
If this is a serious question, the serious answer is no. No, this doesn't make them more relevant. In fact, it's very likely these contracts hurt them. There not bad pieces, but they're also not answers and overpaid.

I would say the have a 0% chance of going up against OKC, The Lakers, maybe the Spurs if they play at the level they did late last season, and the Clippers. Maybe the team will be okay to watch, but don't get delusional in your hopes.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Wait ... so a potential all star point guard, and statistically one of the best defensive players in the league are not worth 8 million per year?

Diesel44
07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Its a good start on the re-building process most Rockets have been wanting. The team they have they can build on.

rockets-fan
07-25-2012, 12:40 AM
If this is a serious question, the serious answer is no. No, this doesn't make them more relevant. In fact, it's very likely these contracts hurt them. There not bad pieces, but they're also not answers and overpaid.

I would say the have a 0% chance of going up against OKC, The Lakers, maybe the Spurs if they play at the level they did late last season, and the Clippers. Maybe the team will be okay to watch, but don't get delusional in your hopes.

dude the o.p was just trolling

shep33
07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I like the young talent they have. But I think even Houston fans would acknowledge that they still have work to do in terms of building a contending team out west.

Punk
07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Once Lin signed they got more publicity than they have gotten since the Yao era. Adding Lin makes them relevant. Adding Asik does not. However, he is a nice big man to develop.

I see Houston being similar to how Kevin Love is with Minnesota. Having a star player but not really being talked about outside of the player himself.

Gritz
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
I've learned you can have a 90 overall team and still not make the playoffs because your chemistry is 30% when simulating, so we shall see

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:51 AM
to be honest I think they are shooting for the 8th seed, which they can get. They were pretty much a contender/pretender team, one of the worst things to be in the NBA. They are rebuilding if they get the 8th seed it'd be one heck of a start, if they get 7th or higher, you will have to tip your cap to the GM.

BoSox47
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Joe Johnson had a better overall team(s) in Atlanta then the nets do right now.

Edit: and that comment is only offensively thinking, nevermind defense. The nets are soft up front and deron cant keep anyone infront of him

sep11ie
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Yea, there are a ton of us Rockets fans saying we are a contender... OP is a joke.

Thegame187
07-25-2012, 12:58 AM

As a fan I don't see this team as horrible, but rather as young and exciting one. Lamb, White, Jones, Donatas, Morris, Patterson, are all top 20 picks over the last 3 drafts, Parsons must have been one of the best finds in the 2nd round last draft, Lin (despite all opinions) at very least has something to offer (ands its worth the gamble that he could be something really good), and Asik has shown he can defend well enough to hold up to most C's in the NBA, plus K Mart is still here at can shoot lights out.

Looking forward to the season

cubbies7177
07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Motiejunas looks like a really good player.

Yeah, I think you guys are thinking too short term.

Motiejuanas looks really solid, could develop into a very nice piece. I think people are undervaluing his potential.

Asik has oaf hands, but who knows? He could be better than some of us expect. If he could literally JUST learn to catch the ball and shoot at 70% (He has decent form), he could be a poor man's Tyson Chandler.

Lin is probably more of a revenue move. Who knows what he is going to become though. No one expected his first emergence and look how that turned out.

LAMB. MY BOY LAMB. Wanted the Bulls to trade up for him. I think he's got some really really solid potential #2 or even #1 scoring option. Love his offensive ability.

I know that's just the beginning, but they have some decent potential. I'm not counting them out just yet.

JLynn943
07-25-2012, 01:06 AM
If Kevin Martin plays really well, Lin plays like he did without Melo in NY, and a forward emerges offensively, I think they'll contend for 8th. Otherwise they'll likely be a good lottery team, picking outside the top 10.

Gagan136
07-25-2012, 01:13 AM
They wont be relevant at all next year but at least they wont be stuck at that 7-10 seed for another year.

bootleg42
07-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Damn. This thread took a life of it's own.

The Rockets had no business going after Jeremy Lin. Now his talents will go to waste to Rocket land.

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Damn. This thread took a life of it's own.

The Rockets had no business going after Jeremy Lin. Now his talents will go to waste to Rocket land.

The anguish Knick fans like you will have to go through when Lin continues to go off in Houston is going to be epic.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 01:48 AM
The anguish Knick fans like you will have to go through when Lin continues to go off in Houston is going to be epic.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/xxxHolic000/GIFS/tumblr_m1vlslXvpV1qzkiku.gif

elledaddy
07-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Well I'm not a rocket fan but I don't see them as rebuilding. I think they set theirselves to land Bynum or Howard so they got young players,picks and cut salary. Did Houston actually say they were rebuilding or are Fans just assuming they are? That's rather extreme to say if we don't get one player( Bynum or Howard) then were rebuilding. I think that Houston isn't sorry enough to rebuild, on paper it still appears they will probaly just miss the playoffs again

TheRunKiller
07-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Im gonna miss Omer Asik tho :(

astrosmaniac
07-25-2012, 02:40 AM

He's actually more along the lines of a Pau Gasol. Plays in the post more, but seems to be more physical than Pau and can hit from outside (3 point range) fairly consistently.

Shortys4711
07-25-2012, 02:58 AM

lol hahaha

Trueblue2
07-25-2012, 02:58 AM

Pot, meet kettle

NYKnicksAllDay
07-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Relevant as in contenders? No. Relevant as in will people watch? Yes.

rockets-fan
07-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Well I'm not a rocket fan but I don't see them as rebuilding. I think they set theirselves to land Bynum or Howard so they got young players,picks and cut salary. Did Houston actually say they were rebuilding or are Fans just assuming they are? That's rather extreme to say if we don't get one player( Bynum or Howard) then were rebuilding. I think that Houston isn't sorry enough to rebuild, on paper it still appears they will probaly just miss the playoffs again

What do you call trading your best players for picks and young talent? I assumed it was rebuilding or planning a big move. Since the big move hasnt happened I assume rebuilding.

BklyNyk
07-25-2012, 03:26 AM
My favorite part was when they let Dragic walk and
payed Lin instead.

Aust
07-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Only if they can get a D12 or Bynum will they be relevant

smood999
07-25-2012, 03:32 AM
with Lamb, Donatas, Lin and Terrence Jones...I don't know much about Royce...but those other 4 especially Lamb, who I think might be the main threat to Davis for ROY, and Donatas the Rockets will be alright...in 3 yrs they can pretend Asik and Lin never happened if necessary and will still have Lamb and Donatas

not saying they didn't overpay, I just like some of their young pieces and they still have flexibility...

knickfan33
07-25-2012, 03:35 AM
yeah this...lol

seriously though, its not even known if either can handle the starting load for a season, and even if they play the way rockets hope, till need more peices.

FOBolous
07-25-2012, 03:36 AM
payed Lin instead.

personally, my favorite part of this off season is watching Knicks fan talking about "contending for the title" when yall struggle to even make the playoffs these past two years in the weak Eastern Conference. heck...if it wasn't for Lin's miracle 25 games...yall wouldn't even have make the playoffs last year.

how are yall expecting to contend for the title when you have a worse team this year than last year? yall lost two key players that help yall made the playoffs last year (Lin and Fields) and replaced them with four players (3 of which are one fall away from being out of the league permanently) that are coming off the worse season of their careers and a "shooting" guard that can't shoot?

and talk about overpaying...how's Amare's $100 million treating yall? How's his 17 points and 7 rebounds doing for you team? Has he played any defense lately?

BklyNyk
07-25-2012, 03:47 AM
personally, my favorite part of this season is watching Knicks fan talking about "contending" for the title when yall struggle to even make the playoffs these past two years in the weak Eastern Conference. heck...if it wasn't for Lin's miracle 25 games...yall wouldn't even have make the playoffs last year.

how are yall expecting to contend for the title when you have a worse team this year than last year? yall lost two key players that help yall made the playoffs last year (Lin and Fields) and replaced them with four players (3 of which are one fall away from being out of the league permanently) that are coming off the worse season of their careers and a "shooting" guard that can't shoot?

This is a Rocket thread isn't it? Why so salty, breh? Why is it that me talking about a move that your team made infuriate you so much? LMAO

dodie53
07-25-2012, 03:49 AM
miami will not repeat.
hehe

FOBolous
07-25-2012, 03:50 AM
This is a Rocket thread isn't it? Why so salty, breh? Why is it that me talking about a move that your team made infuriate you so much?

because this is a troll thread created by a bitter Knicks fan to hate on the Rockets filled with other bitter Knicks fan hating on the Rockets.

NO ROCKETS FAN WHAT-SO-EVER expect either Lin or Asik to be superstars or saviors of the franchise. Every Rockets fan understand that we are rebuilding and is expecting a losing season next year. Heck...we WANT a losing season so we can get a high draft pick and add another young, talented player to our team.

so if Knicks fans want to hate, expect hate right back.

aussie
07-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Rockets fans the new Knicks fans?

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 03:54 AM
payed Lin instead.

The same Dragic that was the starting point guard of a team that had one of it's biggest meltdowns in it's club history and choked away a playoff spot. A point guard that is two years younger that has a higher upside than Dragic fell into Morey's lap.

When else have you seen a twenty three year old RFA with Lin's potential being let go by a team for nothing. Funny thing is that they both had nearly identical numbers and the same number of games they started.

End result is Lin+Toronto pick > Lowry or Dragic

Morey continues owning your Knicks, deal with it.

BklyNyk
07-25-2012, 03:58 AM
because this is a troll thread created by a bitter Knicks fan to hate on the Rockets filled with other bitter Knicks fan hating on the Rockets.

NO ROCKETS FAN WHAT-SO-EVER expect either Lin or Asik to be superstars or saviors of the franchise. Every Rockets fan understand that we are rebuilding and is expecting a losing season next year. Heck...we WANT a losing season so we can get a high draft pick and add another young, talented player to our team.

so if Knicks fans want to hate, expect hate right back.

I didn't say any of that in my post. I said they let Dragic walk and payed Lin instead. I think that was foolish. You call it hate, I call it a pretty good opinion. Stay mad though, it's a good look for you. LMAO.

Sssmush
07-25-2012, 05:46 AM
yes! no... wait. who is omer Azik ?

Bravo95
07-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Hopefully they get the 8th seed so Atlanta can get that draft pick.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Relevent? Of course, they have Jeremy Lin.

I dont know how good they'll be though.

JonnyBrav000
07-25-2012, 08:54 AM
YES, LIN and ASik will lead you guys to a championship hahaha...

In all honesty, good luck with the lottery (sike!)

triple5real
07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
personally, my favorite part of this off season is watching Knicks fan talking about "contending for the title" when yall struggle to even make the playoffs these past two years in the weak Eastern Conference. heck...if it wasn't for Lin's miracle 25 games...yall wouldn't even have make the playoffs last year.

and talk about overpaying...how's Amare's $100 million treating yall? How's his 17 points and 7 rebounds doing for you team? Has he played any defense lately?

1.) Weak Eastern Conference? The Champs are on this side of the map and the only team to give them any comp are also located over here.

2.) If you truely believe your second paragraph then you are as ignorant to basketball as your statement suggest.

3.) 1 fall away from being out of the league permanently?....no sir we have no Yao Ming's over here.

4.) His salary has did us quite nicely since he was signed, a lot of good happened for this franchise...look it up, research it...it may make your rants seem a little more intelligent.

Dee_Edge
07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

I'm a Rocket fan.....My thought is we are trying to get an All-Star Center....the Lin thing was to fill sets and to have a good pick and roll guy for our All-Star Center....and Asik is our starter until we get our All-Star Center.....

We are still 9-10-11 right this second.....no better maybe a little worse than last year....but if we get Andrew Bynum or even Dwight for a year....I see us a 4-5-6....not beating LA or OKC....

PG-Jeremy Lin, Toney Douglas
SG-Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb
SF- Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, Marcus Morris
PF-Donatas Motiejunas, Patrick Patterson, Royce White
C-Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum, Omer Asik

dalton749
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Not in this country

eternal slumber
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
this is a troll thread. it was made by a butt-hurt Knick fan.

anyway, Rockets won't be relevant on the west but will be followed by the media because of a former Knicks player.

torocan
07-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Relevant in terms of people will be paying attention? Yes.

They are however still a lottery/borderline playoff team unless Morey has a couple other moves up his sleeve.

Weezy
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Enjoy.

LOL, hilarious and I agree.

yes! no... wait. who is omer Azik ?

I love Leann Tweeden. :)

JonnyBrav000
07-25-2012, 09:45 AM
this is a troll thread. it was made by a butt-hurt Knick fan.

anyway, Rockets won't be relevant on the west but will be followed by the media because of a certain player.

You sound kinda butt hurt right now, whatever that means.

Rocketsfan85
07-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Dude nobody said that gtf outta here and quit trolling

Vinylman
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I did the HW for you, because it's better to answer than insult. In his limited time in 2011/12 Omer Asik was a top 5 defensive big, add to that he's 25. You see what happened w/ Humphries? dejavu here. Top 10 big in blocks % and stls %. Houston is paying for what he may become. As for the offense, they have Chandler Parsons, and are high on this Mont kid. Who's like another Gallanari. Almost like Tele but a better upside. Add to that they are banking on Jeremy Lin to make them better. He did it for Jared Jefferies and Landry Fields he can certainly do it for them.

nice homework... asik is 26 and been playing pro ball for a long time between europe and Nba... he is hardly "young with potential" which was your implication...

as for his defense, lets see how he does on a team that isn't committed to defense like Chicago... expect a drop off...

As for the contracts... pretty simple

between Lin/Dragic/Lowry who would you rather have? Push at best... Lin at bottom in all reality

As for Asik... doesn't really matter because an equal caliber player would have cost the same (dalembert) but less years... Since Houston won't compete for the next 3 years the signing is irrelevant and low risk considering they won't get any big name free agents (need cap) and the salary cap floor kicks in soon...

Hello Mediocrity

Vinylman
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

read the beginning of the bolded sentence and that is how...

Asik's numbers are a guide of potential not an absolute.... sample size is small but the most important factor in his defensive #'s is that he played for Thibs in CHICAGO....

HOUSTON IS NOT CHICAGO

Asik is a classic system guy

How people miss this point is beyond me

Rocketsfan85
07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Miami
LA
Brooklyn

No order

Bandwagon Fan

Heater4life
07-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I hate all these super teams

LBJ Wade and Bosh

Nash and Kobe

Lin and Asik.....wait......what?

GREATNESS ONE
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Lol 10 pages of baiting/trolling , good ole PSD

Captain Moroni
07-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Kind of like Nets fans last year. Who do you root for?

driz
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
They should make some waves and incredible noise come Lottery time next year.

I can only understand the Lin spending, considering it will make them back money ten fold off revenue from the Asian markets overseas. Just like they banked off Yao before him.

But it won't translate into wins.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
This guy is the worst poster on PSD. He's used the "Kansas City Royals of basketball" line like 12 times and just keeps trolling the Rockets because he's pissed about Lin leaving. But yet he completely fails to recognize that this franchise has been far more successful in the last 20 years than his precious Knicks, who haven't won a playoff series in over a decade and haven't won a championship in nearly 40 years. I don't even dislike so much as I pity how pathetic he is...

Stress
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Is this thread some sort of sick joke?

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
And anyone ripping on the Rockets for "overspending" on Lin and Asik is wrong. Jameer Nelson, who is average at best, just got a very similar deal to Lin's (actually a little more) and there are a ton of big men in the NBA who aren't half as good as Asik but get paid more money.

No one in the Rockets' front office or fan base has delusions of grandeur that this team will make the playoffs. In fact, most of us are banking that they'll get a top 10 lottery pick next year if they don't get Dwight or Bynum. This isn't about getting marginally better anymore, it's about taking a step back to push toward a long term goal of a championship. Common sense.

aztr0
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
They're going to make noise in the East. Far East.

eternal slumber
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
This guy is the worst poster on PSD. He's used the "Kansas City Royals of basketball" line like 12 times and just keeps trolling the Rockets because he's pissed about Lin leaving. But yet he completely fails to recognize that this franchise has been far more successful in the last 20 years than his precious Knicks, who haven't won a playoff series in over a decade and haven't won a championship in nearly 40 years. I don't even dislike so much as I pity how pathetic he is...

he can't over Lin leaves his beloved Knicks. the guys is hurting from within.

Vinylman
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
And anyone ripping on the Rockets for "overspending" on Lin and Asik is wrong. Jameer Nelson, who is average at best, just got a very similar deal to Lin's (actually a little more) and there are a ton of big men in the NBA who aren't half as good as Asik but get paid more money.

No one in the Rockets' front office or fan base has delusions of grandeur that this team will make the playoffs. In fact, most of us are banking that they'll get a top 10 lottery pick next year if they don't get Dwight or Bynum. This isn't about getting marginally better anymore, it's about taking a step back to push toward a long term goal of a championship. Common sense.

awesome... ye olde defend a bad deal by comparing it to another bad deal

rich :facepalm:

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM

jameer nelson is underrated and was an allstar :facepalm: glad ur not an nba scout

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I hate all these super teams

LBJ Wade and Bosh

Nash and Kobe

Lin and Asik.....wait......what?

and im sure u were a heat fan during the eddie jones and rafer alston super team days

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
they just want to sell out games with the chinese coming to see Lin. They will not sniff .500 to avg players makin all star money. Asik maybe below avg

koetravis
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
jameer nelson is underrated and was an allstar :facepalm: glad ur not an nba scout

Nelson sucks.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Nelson sucks.

:cricket:

elledaddy
07-25-2012, 10:54 AM
They should make some waves and incredible noise come Lottery time next year.

I can only understand the Lin spending, considering it will make them back money ten fold off revenue from the Asian markets overseas. Just like they banked off Yao before him.

But it won't translate into wins.

Actually all that overseas money is split amongst all the nba teams, it just doesn't belong to Houston. Houston will only make money personally of ticket sales, jersey sales from Houston's online store( if they have one, I'm not from there so I don't know for sure) and within the arena, and team sponsorships. Any other money is either split between the league or belongs only to Lin

torocan
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Actually all that overseas money is split amongst all the nba teams, it just doesn't belong to Houston. Houston will only make money personally of ticket sales, jersey sales from Houston's online store( if they have one, I'm not from there so I don't know for sure) and within the arena, and team sponsorships. Any other money is either split between the league or belongs only to Lin

Houston is #22 by attendance, and averages only 85% attendance at home games. Lin by himself almost covers his own salary in ticket sales for at least through next year.

This doesn't include Arena sponsorships or arena merchandise sales.

And if the Rockets are truly aiming for the lottery tank, then that gives Lin and the Rockets an entire year to mature, grow, and work some additional trades.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Houston is #22 by attendance, and averages only 85% attendance at home games. Lin by himself almost covers his own salary in ticket sales for at least through next year.

And if the Rockets are truly aiming for the lottery tank, then that gives Lin and the Rockets an entire year to mature, grow, and work some additional trades.

elledaddy
07-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Oh Lin sure will pay for himself probaly for the 1st two years pay for. Im a knicks fan and not hating on Lin but he means 10x more to Houston than he did to the Knicks. Me personally though, I dont see the Rockets as tanking. I think they are kind of still in the same position they have been in, not bad enough for a high lottery pick and not good enough to be better than the 8th or 9th seed in the west.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Ok. Mo williams was an all star at one point too.

Great logic. If your going to facepalm someone know the different situations. Smh.

Ya trolling hard huh Op?

And domefavors. Just stop. Unless your goal is to look like an idiot.

No Rockets fans claim this team as currently constructed will contend.

The point is to have flexibility to land star or rebuild with a young core and high picks.

I Rock Shaqs
07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Damn this trolling bs is ridiculous every time somebody disagrees or says something you guys don't feel the same about you just say TROLLING TROLLING TROLLING!

Htownballa1622
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
nice homework... asik is 26 and been playing pro ball for a long time between europe and Nba... he is hardly "young with potential" which was your implication...

as for his defense, lets see how he does on a team that isn't committed to defense like Chicago... expect a drop off...

As for the contracts... pretty simple

between Lin/Dragic/Lowry who would you rather have? Push at best... Lin at bottom in all reality

As for Asik... doesn't really matter because an equal caliber player would have cost the same (dalembert) but less years... Since Houston won't compete for the next 3 years the signing is irrelevant and low risk considering they won't get any big name free agents (need cap) and the salary cap floor kicks in soon...

Hello Mediocrity

Mediocre is what the Rockets were. They either can go up or down from here.

The key its their flexibility to trade for a star or tank and get high picks.

They aren't strung with terrible contracts that will not let them spend on only aging veterans.

I Rock Shaqs
07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
As the roster now stands, I'm sure they are certainly worse than:

Thunder
Spurs
Lakers
Clippers
Grizzliez
Nuggets
T-Wolves
Suns
Mavs

They are probably on the same level as the Kings, Jazz, Trail Blazers and maybe better than the Hornets. They will be in contention for a top 3 pick next year, IMO. Its better to rebuild than be stuck in the mediocrity (7-10) range in the west.

How are you going to put the Suns and T-Wolves above the Jazz?

Htownballa1622
07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Damn this trolling bs is ridiculous every time somebody disagrees or says something you guys don't feel the same about you just say TROLLING TROLLING TROLLING!

Op claimed Rockets fans thought they'd contend. Where did ANY fans say that?

Ill wait...

FOBolous
07-25-2012, 12:47 PM

because this whole thread is a trolling thread because the premises behind it isn't true. the premises behind is thread is that, according to the OP, Rockets fans think Lin and Asik will take the Rockets deep into the playoffs...which isn't true because NO Rockets fan think that. OP made that up.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
awesome... ye olde defend a bad deal by comparing it to another bad deal

rich :facepalm:
Morey has a track record in evaluating young point guards and big men. He drafted Brooks and traded for Lowry and Dragic. And he went out of his way to try and get Gortat when he was a free agent, and the guy has become an above average starting center in Phoenix.

You HAVE to overpay to get RFAs and these contracts will only be bad if they don't play well. Let's give them at least a year before we start criticizing those deals.

The key word here is "was" an All-Star. He had one phenomenal season in 2009 that made you think he had star potential, but the last three seasons he's been average in every sense of the word, posting 12-13 points, 6 assists and average to below average efficiency numbers.

I like Nelson, but if a deal for a 23-year-old player with worldwide appeal and star potential gets criticized, then the deal for a 30-year-old Nelson should get criticized even more.

FOBolous
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
1.) Weak Eastern Conference? The Champs are on this side of the map and the only team to give them any comp are also located over here.

2.) If you truely believe your second paragraph then you are as ignorant to basketball as your statement suggest.

3.) 1 fall away from being out of the league permanently?....no sir we have no Yao Ming's over here.

4.) His salary has did us quite nicely since he was signed, a lot of good happened for this franchise...look it up, research it...it may make your rants seem a little more intelligent.

1. so? the Eastern Conference is still weak. It's top heavy. Beyond the top 3 or 4 teams, all the other Eastern Conference teams are jokes.

2. really? prove me wrong than. Could the Knicks make the playoffs last year without Lin and Fields? And how exactly will four players that are coming off the worse seasons of their career...and will most likely continue to regress due their age...going to put the Knicks over the hump? How is a career bench player, Ronnie Brewer, going to get the Knicks over the hump?

3. You obviously don't know anything about Camby.

4. Really now? Like losing in the first round every year? Like barely making the playoffs last year. All while not rebounding and playing any defense? Yup...$100 million for a player that can't score, rebound, and play defense is definitely worth it.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Overall, I think most people believe the Rockets made a smart move to get Lin, but those same people criticize the Asik deal. I would counter with this... Per 36 minutes last season, he averaged 7.6 points, 13.0 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. Obviously "per 36" is imperfect, and I doubt he puts up those same numbers if given 30+ minutes per game, but it goes to show you what his potential is as a big man. Also, his 20.1 TRB%, 5.0 BLK% and 92 DRtg are all excellent.

I do not think he's going to be a 20/10 guy. Hell, I don't know that he'll ever be a 10/10 guy, but I would not be surprised if he is an 8/10/2 type player as a starter. I see him as a poor man's Tyson Chandler. And I'm hoping that McHale's pick and roll offense with Jeremy Lin at the helm will help improve his game and get him some easy looks on the offensive end.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM

Good point. Your chirping clearly adds a lot to the conversation... :eyebrow:

Jazzgear
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM

As currently constructed:rolleyes: this is a guaranteed lottery team:facepalm:

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh Lin sure will pay for himself probaly for the 1st two years pay for. Im a knicks fan and not hating on Lin but he means 10x more to Houston than he did to the Knicks. Me personally though, I dont see the Rockets as tanking. I think they are kind of still in the same position they have been in, not bad enough for a high lottery pick and not good enough to be better than the 8th or 9th seed in the west.

I don't think that's the case. I love this franchise and I'm very pleased with the direction they're moving and the core of young players they've amassed, but I also think they're guaranteed a top 10 pick with this current roster of players. I'm still hoping that they'll deal Martin before the season starts to give Jeremy Lamb a chance to start, but I think they're waiting to see how the Howard/Bynum situation pans out with Orlando before they make a decision on him.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry did I read that correctly? Jameer Nelson is underrated?

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry did I read that correctly? Jameer Nelson is underrated?

yes, hes much better than what ur gona be gettin at point guard in that beaver (felton) and jason aka i like to crash into poles now bc im all washed up kidd

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 01:22 PM
yes, hes much better than what ur gona be gettin at point guard in that beaver (felton) and jason aka i like to crash into poles now bc im all washed up kidd

you just compared him to a mediocore PG and one of the best living breathing PGs at 40 who still crashes into poles. Not much there. But what area is Jameer underrated in? b/c I see him also as a mediocore PG.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
you just compared him to a mediocore PG and one of the best living breathing PGs at 40 who still crashes into poles. Not much there. But what area is Jameer underrated in? b/c I see him also as a mediocore PG.

hes been the second best player on a magic team that has consistently been a 50 plus win team year after year and try mayb lookin at his stats over the duration of his career n u tell me why he isnt underrated

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
hes been the second best player on a magic team that has consistently been a 50 plus win team year after year and try mayb lookin at his stats over the duration of his career n u tell me why he isnt underrated

what does that have to do w/ his league #'s in 2010 he was middle tier, 2011 he was mediocore. He's 12 and 5 for his career, but it's not like people are overlooking something.

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Why do people call Felton a beaver?

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Why do people call Felton a beaver?

cuz he looks like a beaver?

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
cuz he looks like a beaver?

I don't see it.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't see it.

1-800 contacts might be solution

jtrinaldi
07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
This is just like when Detroit Signed Villaneuva and Gordon int he same offseason, and regretted it badly

RLundi
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
They might be a fringe playoff team but I wouldn't surprised either way if they snagged the 7th seed or won 30 games.

eaglesfanphilly
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
This is just like when Detroit Signed Villaneuva and Gordon int he same offseason, and regretted it badly

so ur comparing jeremy lin to ben gordon? so glad ur not a GM jesus u would fit right in with the bobcats front office tho

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I mean, did you see what Jeremy Lin did playing with a team of scrubs in NY? He has some excellent shooters around him in Houston. I don't know how good they will be, but i DO think they will turn some heads.

Jays Claw
07-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Nets
Heat
Lakers
OKC
Clippers

So you think adding JJ, Wallace, while both retaining Dwill and Lopez makes the Nets the top team in the league? No. Just no.

Jazzgear
07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Wait ... so a potential all star point guard, and statistically one of the best defensive players in the league are not worth 8 million per year?

Ha Ha! :facepalm:

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I mean, did you see what Jeremy Lin did playing with a team of scrubs in NY? He has some excellent shooters around him in Houston. I don't know how good they will be, but i DO think they will turn some heads.

I swear people forget that. :laugh2: I still remember we saw him start vs the Nets and were like, ok he finally got some playing time...never did we think he was going to win. They kid he makes you believe. I saw Jared Jefferies...JEFFRIES PEOPLE! he was hitting jumpshots and lay ups and dunks. I wouldn't be shocked if Houston makes the #8 seed, I'd be shocked if they get over the 7th.

joeystats
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
no

IndyRealist
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Not going to read through all the pages, just going to say that if this team stays together they could be really good in 3 years. Houston's 4 rookies this year look really good.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I swear people forget that. :laugh2: I still remember we saw him start vs the Nets and were like, ok he finally got some playing time...never did we think he was going to win. They kid he makes you believe. I saw Jared Jefferies...JEFFRIES PEOPLE! he was hitting jumpshots and lay ups and dunks. I wouldn't be shocked if Houston makes the #8 seed, I'd be shocked if they get over the 7th.

Yeah, man. Houston is lucky to have him. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Jazzgear
07-25-2012, 02:52 PM

So what happened to Lin's production when the league finally noticed and had a scouting report? Did you see the 2nd time around against the Nets, the Heat?

sep11ie
07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=745497

domefavors-time to step your getting banned game up...

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 03:00 PM
man this NBA forum is just getting ridiculous... :facepalm:

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Ha Ha! :facepalm:

seems like you watch a lot of basketball

Lakers + Giants
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

You hate on the Rockets so much, stop riding man, give it up. No Rockets fan has said this, we have all agreed we are a high lottery team next year as constructed. You just make up stuff in that little head of yours to make yourself feel better.

Exactly. He's just making himself look bad. He's making up ****, I've never once seen a rocket fan type any of that BS.

king4day
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I could see maybe 25-35 wins. Lamb and donates (spelling) are wild cards. If they play well, this team may battle for the playoffs.
The Knicks had little talent when Lin ruled for a while. Rockets are younger.

Could be fun to watch.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 03:11 PM

I did this and you completely avoided my response, so clearly you don't care enough to actually look at the stats.

AddiX
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I think they could run for the 8th seed. But I really don't have a clue what there team will look like on the court so well have to wait and see.

They were a few games out last year, obviously the team is very different now, but when I look at the rest of the conference, I don't see any major improvements.

Rockets should beat out minny, phx, Port, GS, Sac, no, and no reason they can't beat out Utah.

The rest of the division looks locked into the 1-7 seeds. Lin in an open system is far better than fans here will give him credit for, the only team that locked him down was Mia, and your a idiot if you judge a player on that.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 03:15 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=745497

Lol. That's awesome. I was thinking about reporting him if I saw one more "Kansas City Royals of the NBA" comment, but apparently I didn't have to.

TeamSeattle
07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
The Rockets were a 7th/8th seed last year until they kinda skidded off the map at the end of the season. I could maybe see them sliding into the 8th spot ahead of Phoenix.

TheNumber37
07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
let's be clear. the players they lost aren't as good as the ones who came in... heck, scola > asik + lin

Sinestro
07-25-2012, 03:26 PM
They have a nice young team and while they may have overpaid a bit for Asik its not gonna kill their cap, going forward they should be flexible and with some nice picks they can build a contender

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I think they could run for the 8th seed. But I really don't have a clue what there team will look like on the court so well have to wait and see.

They were a few games out last year, obviously the team is very different now, but when I look at the rest of the conference, I don't see any major improvements.

Rockets should beat out minny, phx, Port, GS, Sac, no, and no reason they can't beat out Utah.

The rest of the division looks locked into the 1-7 seeds. Lin in an open system is far better than fans here will give him credit for, the only team that locked him down was Mia, and your a idiot if you judge a player on that.

I could see maybe 25-35 wins. Lamb and donates (spelling) are wild cards. If they play well, this team may battle for the playoffs.
The Knicks had little talent when Lin ruled for a while. Rockets are younger.

Could be fun to watch.

that's exactly what we don't want, the Hawks have our lotto-protected first next year, so if we make the playoffs it will be a first round exit for sure, and we will lose our pick, and even though I don't see the Raptors making the playoffs, I see them being a 9th or 10th seed and we will only have a 10-14 first round pick, IMO.

Captain Moroni
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
2. really? prove me wrong than. Could the Knicks make the playoffs last year without Lin and Fields? And how exactly will four players that are coming off the worse seasons of their career...and will most likely continue to regress due their age...going to put the Knicks over the hump? How is a career bench player, Ronnie Brewer, going to get the Knicks over the hump?

I usually dont waste my time with one sided uninformed posts, but I figured you need some reality checks so I will help you.

First off you mention the Knicks not making the playoffs last year without Lin and Fields. Understand that most Knick fans really liked Lin and Fields. We were not happy to see them go, but we understand that their departure is not the worst thing for the future of this club.
Lin and Linsanity was a fun ride and the Knicks indeed would not have made the playoffs without him. BUT, and this is a HUGE point, the reason why Linsanity was needed is the real issue. You seem to put the Knicks in the same situation going forward without changing any of the variables that have changed. Here they are in no particular order.
1. Knicks PG situation last year. Starting out the year the Knicks had Toney Douglas, Mike Bibby and Baron Davis penciled in at PG. Lin was an afterthought signing that was released TWICE from two other NBA teams. TD struggled mightily, Bibby was just awful and Davis two months away from playing. The Knicks even tried their rookie SG at the point and that is why Lin even got a shot. What has changed since then? Raymonf Felton was signed, Felton is better that TD, Bibby, and Baron Davis combined. He doesnt have to be Chris Paul, just bring the same game he always has and the Knicks are already better than they were before Lin took over. Then Jason Kidd was brought in, and Pablo Prigioni behind him. Age my friend has nothing to do with this as niether will be counted on to start or carry the team for that matter.
2. Mike Dantoni ERA- Its over! Kaput! Done! Finished! Melo and Amare never suceeded together under coach D, the defense was a joke and the offense was even worse. When Woodson took over he went 18-6 most of that WITHOUT Jeremy Lin. Landry Fields was a non factor. Funny how when other Coaches like Thibs can come in and change the culture and its for real, and when Woodson changed the Knicks culture it's a sample size.
3. Injuries- Knicks spent so much time on the Injured list last year. Melo was out, Amare was out, Lin was out, Shump was out, at times we were throwing lineups out there that were plain silly.
4. Veteran leadership-we needed it big time and finally got it. Kidd, Camby, and Thomas along with Prigioni can be the tough veteran peices that the Knicks have been missing for years. no one expects them to play starters minutes at all. Concentrating on their age and not what they can bring to the table might prove to be a major oversight.

Your post is full of half informed so called facts that hold no water. Broad statements can be misleading at times.

PleaseBeNice
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Lol. No.

AddiX
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
that's exactly what we don't want, the Hawks have our lotto-protected first next year, so if we make the playoffs it will be a first round exit for sure, and we will lose our pick, and even though I don't see the Raptors making the playoffs, I see them being a 9th or 10th seed and we will only have a 10-14 first round pick, IMO.

So you don't want to make playoffs? Why even watch? Never understood this mentality...

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
let's be clear. the players they lost aren't as good as the ones who came in... heck, scola > asik + lin

I think you meant Scola < asik + Lin

They did a great job getting younger

lose: Camby, Dalembert, Scola, Lee, Lowry and Dragic

add: Asik, Motiejunas, White, Jones, Lamb, Lin, Harrelson, JaJuan Johnson, Douglas, Machado (if he makes the team) and the Toronto lottery pick

I think the team right now is better than the team last year, the league overall is also better, I think if they don't tank, they will be in a similar position they were last year, but with a brighter future

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
So you don't want to make playoffs? Why even watch? Never understood this mentality...

neither have I, actually. I'm not a big fan of tanking, I do want to make the playoffs, but I was talking about the fanbase as a whole, I'm one of the few who don't want that.

NYC1213
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Asik might be the most overpayed player to average 6ppg 8rpg and 2bpg. People forget Lin's coming off an injury and his weaknesses were exposed. That being said there no reason he can't average 15 and 7 along with 5 TO's a game. Adding Lamb, Montejunis, Jones, and White is a bright young team I don't see them being relevant this year.

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Asik might be the most overpayed player to average 6ppg 8rpg and 2bpg. People forget Lin's coming off an injury and his weaknesses were exposed. That being said there no reason he can't average 15 and 7 along with 5 TO's a game. Adding Lamb, Montejunis, Jones, and White is a bright young team I don't see them being relevant this year.

Good thing he has the court vision and many attributes that it takes to be a good point guard in the league. It's not like these players can't work on their weaknesses and improve in those areas. Lin is a gym rat with very high IQ. Keep trying to convince yourself that Lin won't amount to anything.:rolleyes:

rhino17
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
No realistic Rockets fans have any hopes for next season. They just want the young players to play big minutes and grow. Lin is not going to be the superstar of the team, but he will be a solid contributor and hopefully ends up being a good #3 guy down the road behind Lamb and Montajuna aka THE WOLF. They will at least be more entertaining to watch than last year's boring as **** team.

Asik
Montajunas/Jones
Parsons/White
Lamb
Lin

This is gonna be the lineup and rotation. Its an extremely young team. Anyone thinking they can do anything next season is kidding themselves. Maybe in 3 years they will be making noise

NYC1213
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Good thing he has the court vision and many attributes that it takes to be a good point guard in the league. It's not like these players can't work on their weaknesses and improve in those areas. Lin is a gym rat with very high IQ. Keep trying to convince yourself that Lin won't amount to anything.:rolleyes:

How is 15 and 7 amount to nothing what do u think hes a lock for 20+ ppg 8+ apg and < 4 TO's a game. Theres about two players that can possibly do that in the nba. He as all the tools to be a successful nba player but expecting more than 15 and 7 is unrealistic.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM

So in 14 minutes he averaged 5 rebounds. But in 30 minutes he gets 7?? Your logic is infallible. But hey it's not like a young player has ever gotten better. Especially as on of the best defensive players in the league let alone big men.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I think the team right now is better than the team last year, the league overall is also better, I think if they don't tank, they will be in a similar position they were last year, but with a brighter future
Dude, I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but you don't honestly believe this, do you? The Rockets have rid themselves of every veteran with the exception of Martin and replaced them with mostly rookies and second or third year guys. How could they POSSIBLY be better than last season?

Then you don't understand how professional sports work. The Rockets have been the 9th seed for three consecutive seasons. In pro sports, you don't just go from mediocre to great without a drastic change. You either have to acquire a star or start the rebuilding process to draft a star. Morey has tried the former for the past three seasons and now he's going for the latter. Common sense.

No realistic Rockets fans have any hopes for next season. They just want the young players to play big minutes and grow. Lin is not going to be the superstar of the team, but he will be a solid contributor and hopefully ends up being a good #3 guy down the road behind Lamb and Montajuna aka THE WOLF. They will at least be more entertaining to watch than last year's boring as **** team.

Asik
Montajunas/Jones
Parsons/White
Lamb
Lin

This is gonna be the lineup and rotation. Its an extremely young team. Anyone thinking they can do anything next season is kidding themselves. Maybe in 3 years they will be making noise
This.

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
How is 15 and 7 amount to nothing what do u think hes a lock for 20+ ppg 8+ apg and < 4 TO's a game. Theres about two players that can possibly do that in the nba. He as all the tools to be a successful nba player but expecting more than 15 and 7 is unrealistic.

Quit putting words in my mouth, I never made any projections. If anything you're doing it by predicting he'll continue being turnover prone.

NYC1213
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
So in 14 minutes he averaged 5 rebounds. But in 30 minutes he gets 7?? Your logic is infallible. But hey it's not like a young player has ever gotten better. Especially as on of the best defensive players in the league let alone big men.

Theres no reason he can't average 10 rpg and play some good defense but i think if you expect much more than that you'll be disappointed.

Jazzgear
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
seems like you watch a lot of basketball

precisely!:rolleyes:

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Theres no reason he can't average 10 rpg and play some good defense but i think if you expect much more than that you'll be disappointed.

Exactly, and that's why he's worth $8 million a year. Pop quiz... How many players averaged 10 rebounds per game last season? Only 9 if you say 10.0 or greater and 14 if you round up from 9.5. And how many of them were good defenders? Maybe 3-4 out of first group and 7-8 total out of the second group. And if you throw in the number of those guys who averaged at least 1.5 blocks per game or more, then those numbers decrease even more.

Rebounders, shot blockers and defensive big men are extremely valuable in this league because there are so few guys who can do all three. And if you can add a guy who's only 26 years old for fair market value on a rebuilding team with no true center, you do that in a heartbeat.

Jazzgear
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM

you should consider re-reading your statement:facepalm:

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM

so you think he's going to struggle getting to 18 pts and 20 pts. all the sudden? what PG in the Western Conference is going to lock him down? There's my realistic post, name the lockdown PG that will consistently shut Lin down, other than Westbrook and Harden I don't see one. And there's no ball stopping momentum killing F on that lineup, so you have to catch him off pick n' roll and he still draws fouls, so 20 pts he can't? 8 apg, this is now a hard feat? I actually expect more than 15 and 7, I think he's going to have free reign on a high octane offense. We saw what he did w/ Jefferies, Chandler and Walker as his bigs, you're telling me Houston doesn't have equal to that all the sudden?

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM

So how is that a bad contract?????

Good rebounding and elite defense is worth 8 million any day.

elizur
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
so you think he's going to struggle getting to 18 pts and 20 pts. all the sudden? what PG in the Western Conference is going to lock him down? There's my realistic post, name the lockdown PG that will consistently shut Lin down, other than Westbrook and Harden I don't see one. And there's no ball stopping momentum killing F on that lineup, so you have to catch him off pick n' roll and he still draws fouls, so 20 pts he can't? 8 apg, this is now a hard feat? I actually expect more than 15 and 7, I think he's going to have free on a high octane offense. We saw what he did w/ Jefferies, Chandler and Walker as his bigs, you're telling me Houston doesn't have equal to that all the sudden?

Paul.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Paul...

Paul is actually ranked #28 in guards on D, I actually do want to see that matchup. I'm curious.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
It's basketball not many players can lock down an elite driving guard like Lin ( not saying he IS elite but he is at driving to the basket.) Even then you will never shut him down but you may make him play worse than usual.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I swear everyone just sees this little chinese kid (that's my perception what ppl see) and don't notice these things. He was also top 10 at getting to the line before his season ended.

I Rock Shaqs
07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
because this whole thread is a trolling thread because the premises behind it isn't true. the premises behind is thread is that, according to the OP, Rockets fans think Lin and Asik will take the Rockets deep into the playoffs...which isn't true because NO Rockets fan think that. OP made that up.

Okay why don't you tell his mommy damn you "sound" like your about to cry.

BcEuAbRsS
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
He's prolly worth 8 million per for a team using him as a starter... but the 15 million at the end is gonna suck balls...

97NYer
07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
They let their 3 best players go for nothing.

jam
07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
He's prolly worth 8 million per for a team using him as a starter... but the 15 million at the end is gonna suck balls...

Will only count as 8.3 towards the cap.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Courtney Lee was really all they let go for nothing. Scola doesn't fit w/ what they want to do, he's 32, they want to go young. So I'm assuming you mean Lowry who wanted out and Dragic who I don't think they valued more than Lin.

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

:facepalm:

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Scola was making so much money in the last three years of his contract that nobody would have traded anything of value for him and the Rockets have way too much young depth at cap space to keep a 30+ PF on the roster. Lowry was at odds with McHale and wanted a trade, but the Rockets got a likely lottery pick in next year's draft so that's hardly "nothing." I'm not sure who the third guy you're referring to is. Dragic and Lee were both free agents, so they were entitled to walk. And they got some young pieces for Lee, but they were all non guaranteed contracts that Morey will likely cut.

Bottom line, this team is clearly rebuilding and everything Morey has done to this point has made sense if you're a competent Rockets fan.

Cracka2HI!
07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
They should be relevent in the lottery the next 2 years and then hopefully are able to figure something out when they have to pay a whopping $30 Million in year 3. I know that won't be their cap hit but the owner still has to pay those 2 average players that much money and try to still field a competitive. Unless they have another big move or 2, this was nothing more than a complete re-build. That being the case I think the Lin and Asik contracts are terrible.

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Dude, I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but you don't honestly believe this, do you? The Rockets have rid themselves of every veteran with the exception of Martin and replaced them with mostly rookies and second or third year guys. How could they POSSIBLY be better than last season?

I actually do. Maybe. IF Martin plays like he played in 2010-11 (if he is still on the roster), the team stays healthy and two of our 4 rookies pan out, I actually think we are a deeper team, we actually improved 3 of 5 positions, IMO and I actually think Asik is a improvement over Camby

EDUTEXANS
07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Scola was making so much money in the last three years of his contract that nobody would have traded anything of value for him and the Rockets have way too much young depth at cap space to keep a 30+ PF on the roster. Lowry was at odds with McHale and wanted a trade, but the Rockets got a likely lottery pick in next year's draft so that's hardly "nothing." I'm not sure who the third guy you're referring to is. Dragic and Lee were both free agents, so they were entitled to walk. And they got some young pieces for Lee, but they were all non guaranteed contracts that Morey will likely cut.

Bottom line, this team is clearly rebuilding and everything Morey has done to this point has made sense if you're a competent Rockets fan.

I think JaJuan Johnson's contract is guaranteed since he was a first round rookie last year, and he has some value

N3TS
07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
None of them have gotten consistent starter minutes so its hard to say. If by relevance you mean popularity than of course, they are the unofficial team of China.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
damnnnn...... homie you want to go there, being the unofficial team of Da Roc?

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
They should be relevent in the lottery the next 2 years and then hopefully are able to figure something out when they have to pay a whopping $30 Million in year 3. I know that won't be their cap hit but the owner still has to pay those 2 average players that much money and try to still field a competitive. Unless they have another big move or 2, this was nothing more than a complete re-build. That being the case I think the Lin and Asik contracts are terrible.

Yeah because you're ******** .... it's 8 mil per year each over 3 years there is no 15 million.

mightybosstone
07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
I think it's way too premature to call the contracts "terrible" when they've yet to play a game in a Rockets jersey. When you're in a situation like Houston is in, you have to spend some money and take some chances, and those contracts are based far more on potential than production. If even one of the two pans out as an above average starter, then I'll say this has been an exception offseason for a team that was going nowhere.

And I'd provide statistical analysis for why I think both guys were worth the money, but I've done it so many times that I'm getting sick of it. Bottom line, let's wait for the season to start and to say how they play before we rip Morey for those deals.

Yeah because you're ******** .... it's 8 mil per year each over 3 years there is no 15 million.
Look at what the guy said before you call him ********. He said that he's aware that it only counts as $8 million on the cap. But you're wrong. They ARE going to pay both guys $15 million in year 3. But it only counts as $8 million on the salary cap.

TEECOOP
07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Who cares how much they have to pay for lin and asik on the 3rd year its not our money the owner is rich and it wont hurt the rockets cap wise

torocan
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM

I don't think you can really argue the contracts were terrible. Were they both overpaid to some degree? I think so, but that's pretty much a given when you go after a RFA.

The problem with Restricted Free Agents is that if you do NOT overpay to some degree, you're never going to get them.

So, for what Houston wants them for, they went at a fair price given their circumstances (restricted FA) and that Houston will get to average their cap hits over the entire length of the contracts. Given how much teams spend on salaries, I highly doubt the teams care about anything except cap implication unless it's a serious Luxury Tax issue.

The real question is whether either of them can Grow and develop to the point that Lin or Asik would be considered bargains or outright steals... given their youth, I wouldn't be shocked if in 3 years we're looking at one of them and wondering how their teams ever let them get away...

jkbhufisai
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
welcome to: http://www.netetrader.com

The website wholesale for many kinds of
fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

http://www.mineokmalls.com

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

http://www.netetrader.com

Vinylman
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Mediocre is what the Rockets were. They either can go up or down from here.

The key its their flexibility to trade for a star or tank and get high picks.

They aren't strung with terrible contracts that will not let them spend on only aging veterans.

fair enough...

think "tank"

SouthSideRookie
07-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't think you can really argue the contracts were terrible. Were they both overpaid to some degree? I think so, but that's pretty much a given when you go after a RFA.

The problem with Restricted Free Agents is that if you do NOT overpay to some degree, you're never going to get them.

So, for what Houston wants them for, they went at a fair price given their circumstances (restricted FA) and that Houston will get to average their cap hits over the entire length of the contracts. Given how much teams spend on salaries, I highly doubt the teams care about anything except cap implication unless it's a serious Luxury Tax issue.

The real question is whether either of them can Grow and develop to the point that Lin or Asik would be considered bargains or outright steals... given their youth, I wouldn't be shocked if in 3 years we're looking at one of them and wondering how their teams ever let them get away...

Everyone questioning the Lin and Asik signings needs to read the bolded part. This is the Rockets' thinking, iirc they could have offered Lin a fourth year.

Morey talked about the potential these players have shown and all you can do is try as best to project what they can become and hope they live up to that. Good news with Lin is that he doesn't have to live up to "Linsanity". If he becomes an everyday solid starter it's a win for the Rockets.

You're an excellent contributor to the NBA forum, I just wish your fanbase had many more posters like you.

dolfan720
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM

well said that guy needs to GTFO

Vinylman
07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

i always laugh when i see this about asik who is 26...

he has played tons of minutes between europe and the NBA and he is what he is...

As for his defense... again, he won't be playing in Chicago anymore...

Houston's committment to D including their schemes are non-existent based on last year

McHale is no Thibbs... sorry to burst your bubble

Verbal Christ
07-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Okay

Dragic was an UFA. That means he gets to choose where you go. Similar deals offered. Please explain how the rockets "let him go"

The rockets "overpaid" how exactly then does the team meet the minimum salary cap apron with a bunch of rookie contracts??? They spent on positions of need which is a smart thing. Lin in a PG dominant system will flourish. With the youth movement it will at least be a fun brand to watch.

As assembled I still see a .500 team. Some of my ROX brethren see a disaster in the making but I like what I see. Indifference would be my sentiment. Tank, or go .500 nets lottery pick on a weak draft. If the rockets are anywhere near playoff contention at the deadline then the appropriate splash move to make the playoff push. By then the sample size is adequate enough to evaluate the rookie class and who to keep.

TEECOOP
07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Quick question for everyone how can asik be over paid making 8 million just to let yall know Tyson Chandler is getting 14 million a year Jordon from the clippers is getting 12 million if u give asik Chandler min a game his number would most likely be better then his plus he would be making alot less money

alexander_37
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM

he has played tons of minutes between europe and the NBA and he is what he is...

Houston's committment to D including their schemes are non-existent based on last year

That doesn't make him any worse defensively...

rockets-fan
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM

I didnt watch much of the bulls regularly but this is what I think.
Asik Doesnt seem to be a product of the system. Im basing that on only seeing his film, So maybe Im wrong. But I dont think his defense will suffer without Thibbs. HE AS A PLAYER seems like a great defensive talent. I may be wrong though, but obviously the people in the front office getting paid big money to scout also think this, but what do they know right? they should just listen to the PSD poster who says Asiks defense will suffer. because even though you didnt say it, it was implied by my understanding.

jam
07-25-2012, 09:01 PM

This is just dumb. Asik is going to block shots and rebound simply by virtue of the fact that he's 7'+ and reasonably active. Unless he shrinks a foot by the start of the season, you're talking out of your ***.

TEECOOP
07-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Quick question for everyone how can asik be over paid making 8 million just to let yall know Tyson Chandler is getting 14 million a year Jordon from the clippers is getting 12 million if u give asik Chandler min a game his number would most likely be better then his plus he would be making alot more money

AWC713
07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
This is just dumb. Asik is going to block shots and rebound simply by virtue of the fact that he's 7'+ and reasonably active. Unless he shrinks a foot by the start of the season, you're talking out of your ***.

Seriously. Watch some film on Asik before u criticize him. A lot of his d is due to effort, pure size, and great footwork. Not just tibbs system...

AWC713
07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Sorry, was referring to the post jam was referring to

Verbal Christ
07-25-2012, 09:21 PM
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2913/houston-rockets-salary-cap-2/

Great resource concerning the rockets.