PDA

View Full Version : How good would Melo be if Woodson made him a good defensive player?

Pages : [1] 2

LTBaByyy
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
This guy has scored so easily for years and he is so cluthch. His ONLY flaw is defense

How good would he be if he was a good defenseive player?

Top 3? Top 5? Best player in NBA w/ Lebron?

StarvingKnick22
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
As good and maybe even better than Durant. Im not saying this as a Knick fan. I say this as a stats fan. Right now, you can barely compare Melo to KD. But thats the icing to the cake.

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
top 10

his efficiency is still poor

bron
kd
dwight
wade
cp3
kobe
rose

all would clearly be better than melo if melo could play some D.

Punk
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
What kind of thread is this?

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
What kind of thread is this?

Probably a bait thread. Just play along.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Saying "only flaw" doesn't make it any less important. Lack of strong defense is HUGE. It separates players like Mcgrady, Melo, Carter to all-time greats like Jordan, Kobe, and (eventually if not now) Lebron. All 3 of them have been All-NBA defensive first team multiple times. IF Melo can learn defense (again huge if, something like that doesn't happen over the course of a season let alone an offseason) then he would be top 5. Again, an more than an above average defender. And a bit more passing.

Ezio
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Thibs didn't even want to play him in the All Star game :shrug:

StarvingKnick22
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Saying "only flaw" doesn't make it any less important. Lack of strong defense is HUGE. It separates players like Mcgrady, Melo, Carter to all-time greats like Jordan, Kobe, and (eventually if not now) Lebron. All 3 of them have been All-NBA defensive first team multiple times. IF Melo can learn defense (again huge if, something like that doesn't happen over the course of a season let alone an offseason) then he would be top 5. Again, an more than an above average defender. And a bit more passing.

Melo showed his passing at the season's near end. and are you seeing this USA vs. Spain game? melo is on fire! so yea he'll be pretty good lol

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Um no he still cant pass

cheetos185
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
It's not just defense but passing too we know no one can pass lebron on best defense guy is freak but melo has potential to be better rebounder he has all the tools to average 25/10/5.

TeamSeattle
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Um no he still cant pass

He can pass just as good as Durant

KnicksTape
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

better than Durant at passing. But look another obsessive Melo thread.

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
they both avg 3.5 assists last year

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM

Durant isnt the best player tho, and the thread is about best overall player. Look at LeBron,Kobe,Rose they can all pass...Melo is a guy that has the ball in his hands a lot and couldnt hit a high fg% or high assist rate.

davids22
07-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Lol the guy has a good game in an exhibition on team USA and you make this thread.

He still wouldn't be on Durant or Lebrons level...

AsiandudePH
07-24-2012, 07:55 PM

Which isnt saying much for both in terms of passing.

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 07:56 PM
This guy has scored so easily for years and he is so cluthch. His ONLY flaw is defense

His bad shot selection is more of an issue.

As good and maybe even better than Durant. Im not saying this as a Knick fan. I say this as a stats fan. Right now, you can barely compare Melo to KD. But thats the icing to the cake.

If you were a stat fan then you wouldn't say he'd be better than Durant. Unless you think LTBaByyy meant improving to Thabo-esque level.

top 10

bron
kd
dwight
wade
cp3
kobe
rose

You talk about efficiency then put Kobe Bryant in your rankings. :facepalm:

Doesn't belong.

ManningToTyree
07-24-2012, 07:56 PM
top 5 but pointless thread

KnicksTape
07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
top 5 but pointless thread

You have to go along with it, they are obsessed with hating Melo. I still dont see how people put Durant in the top 2 players though.

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
they both avg 3.5 assists last year

Turnovers don't count?

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM

If you were a stat fan then you wouldn't say he'd be better than Durant. Unless you think LTBaByyy meant improving to Thabo-esque level.

You talk about efficiency then put Kobe Bryant in your rankings. :facepalm:

Doesn't belong.

So? Those rankings aren't based solely on efficiency. There are a multitude of factors that i take into account. Unless you want to argue that melo is better than kobe? good luck.

Turnovers don't count?
Of course they do, but i was just saying what their assist numbers look like.

And considering that KD shoots it 50% and only turns it over once more a game than melo, my self and any other non knick homer would take KD over melo easily

BradHolt4CYoung
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Whats almost as bad as Melos poor defense is the fact that he makes his teammates play worse. Thats surely a flaw.

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 08:03 PM
So? Those rankings aren't based solely on efficiency. There are a multitude of factors that i take into account. Unless you want to argue that melo is better than kobe? good luck.

I'd like to see you make an argument against him (also take into account that in this hypothetical that he has improved his defense) not being that doesn't start with '5 rings."

JerseyPalahniuk
07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Melo showed his passing at the season's near end. and are you seeing this USA vs. Spain game? melo is on fire! so yea he'll be pretty good lol

This thread is about defense. Not his offense.

StarvingKnick22
07-24-2012, 08:05 PM

wait, are you implying that Thabo is better than Melo? if your not, i meant that he could do go aswell as durant if he improves defensively. i think its very safe to say melo is more clutch than KD.

meloman1592
07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Pointless...

JerseyPalahniuk
07-24-2012, 08:08 PM
wait, are you implying that Thabo is better than Melo? if your not, i meant that he could do go aswell as durant if he improves defensively. i think its very safe to say melo is more clutch than KD.

Pretty sure he meant defensively, if he improved that much THEN he would be at Durant's level. Why is it very safe to say he is more clutch than Durant? I saw a LOT of clutch plays by Durant last season and during the playoffs.

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Never gonna happen. Same thing as asking how good would Dirk be if he could play D and grab a board

Da Knicks
07-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I have being saying it for a while if he plays like he did the last months of the season Melo could be the best. This could be a bait thread or a thread of someone who can see how great of a player Melo really is. Going forward if Lebron doesn't get a really strong post game Melo could surpass him to become number 1. Me being a knick fan have my biased opinion but since the playoffs against the lakers years back I saw greatness and I hope he proves all the doubters wrong. He has the talent to be number one, he has to play good this season and take the Knicks far in the playoffs to really put himself in the best convo...

dc5jdm
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM

I wouldnt go that far

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I have being saying it for a while if he plays like he did the last months of the season Melo could be the best. This could be a bait thread or a thread of someone who can see how great of a player Melo really is. Going forward if Lebron doesn't get a really strong post game Melo could surpass him to become number 1. Me being a knick fan have my biased opinion but since the playoffs against the lakers years back I saw greatness and I hope he proves all the doubters wrong. He has the talent to be number one, he has to play good this season and take the Knicks far in the playoffs to really put himself in the best convo...

Every player has strides where they play very good basketball, you cant expect Carmelo to play like he did the last month of the season. BTW in the playoffs he was awful.

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
S
Of course they do, but i was just saying what their assist numbers look like.

Which makes your analysis incomplete.

And considering that KD shoots it 50% and only turns it over once more a game than melo, my self and any other non knick homer would take KD over melo easily

Irrelevant.

Pretty sure he meant defensively, if he improved that much THEN he would be at Durant's level. Why is it very safe to say he is more clutch than Durant? I saw a LOT of clutch plays by Durant last season and during the playoffs.

This.

Punk
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Woodson would have made him an great defender. The problem with Melo is he is too slow at times on the perimeter. He defends better in the paint.

Woodson made him much better defensively by putting him on different matchups. Which is exactly what coach K is doing with him for USA.

Durant has the worst assist percentage. Melo has a better percentage at passing than Durant. But let's just ignore that.

StarvingKnick22
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
I wouldnt go that far

Really? your comparing KD's clutch THIS SEASON ton Melo career of cluth? No.
anyways i know it wasnt talking about defensively but there is Offensive Clutch and Defensive Clutch. Which they both almost lack.

juggla53
07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
It's not just defense but passing too we know no one can pass lebron on best defense guy is freak but melo has potential to be better rebounder he has all the tools to average 25/10/5.

lebron has averaged more rebounds a game then carmello every season they have been in the NBA except their rookie year, and his career average is a full rebound higher what about makes you assume he has the potential to be a better rebounder?

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Melo's numbers for the last month of the regular season: 29.8ppg, 7.3 rebs, 3.6 assits. Bron does that in his sleep dude. When you add defense, which Carmelo can quite honestly NEVER be better than Lebron at then it's a no contest.

Every player has strides where they play very good basketball, you cant expect Carmelo to play like he did the last month of the season. BTW in the playoffs he was awful.

False.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Melo's numbers for the last month of the regular season: 29.8ppg, 7.3 rebs, 3.6 assits. Bron does that in his sleep dude. When you add defense, which Carmelo can quite honestly NEVER be better than Lebron at then it's a no contest.

False.

Ok I was being nice BEYOND AWFUL

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 08:23 PM

False.

True. His defense was pretty awful in the playoffs and he shot 42%( 22% from 3)

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
lebron has averaged more rebounds a game then carmello every season they have been in the NBA except their rookie year, and his career average is a full rebound higher what about makes you assume he has the potential to be a better rebounder?

Offensive rebounding.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 08:25 PM
If Amare and Melo had the same type of defense and it was elite in their primes I would take Amare.

KnicksTape
07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
If Amare and Melo had the same type of defense and it was elite in their primes I would take Amare.

irrelevant and no.

juggla53
07-24-2012, 08:27 PM

if lebron doesnt get a good post game and melo doesnt get better on defense then lebron will still be light years ahead of him

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
irrelevant and no.

Amare can adjust to teams, Melo cant. You can put Amare on a team where he is the 2nd option like PHX and they would destroy. Melo always has to be the 1st option and he cant even carry his team to playoff wins. Guy is a joke of an NBA player should go back to college and keep winning NCAA championships while his friends take the blame for a bag of weed in their pockets.

KnicksTape
07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Amare can adjust to teams, Melo cant. You can put Amare on a team where he is the 2nd option like PHX and they would destroy. Melo always has to be the 1st option and he cant even carry his team to playoff wins. Guy is a joke of an NBA player should go back to college and keep winning NCAA championships while his friends take the blame for a bag of weed in their pockets.

Your hatred for a NBA player who clearly should not effect you in this way is extremely sad and unhealthy. There are far more worse characters in professional sports you can hate on.

b@llhog24
07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Ok I was being nice BEYOND AWFUL

:facepalm:

True. His defense was pretty awful in the playoffs and he shot 42%( 22% from 3)

Playing against Lebron can make anybody's defense look awful. Lebron made Durant (whom many have given praise to for his improvements defensively) his *****. Considering the fact that he was facing the best perimeter defensive team in the Nba, while getting double teamed and tripled team, (on single coverage he torched Battier). Still manage to have a 41 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assits.

Amare wasn't the 2nd option in PHX.

cssdmark
07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
If Melo played defense like Lebron it would still be
Lebron 1st and then Melo 2nd. Kobe hoists up alot of shots like Melo but plays better defense, but if Melo had the drive like Lebron to get better he would be number 2. I love Melo and I am a Knick fan but to me it appears that he does not have the drive to get better, it seems as if he is talented and he uses his God given talent but does not push to be the best.

Longhornfan1234
07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
nm

nickdymez
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Lol the guy has a good game in an exhibition on team USA and you make this thread.

He still wouldn't be on Durant or Lebrons level...

Yes he would. At least Lebrons level. Melo is unstoppable offensively

Weezy
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
He is such an incredible player offensively...so yea he would be up there if his defense is top notch. I think its all mental for him and I think Woodson can drive that kind of defense out of him.

We shall see.

Wade>You
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
He's got more weaknesses than just defense. His biggest weakness being his passing ability and his consistency. He can do a lot of things great, he just can't do it consistently. When he wants to be, he could be one of the best players in the NBA.

Kashmir13579
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
"His only flaw is defense" SMFH

naztrack
07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Probably a bait thread. Just play along.

This

Kashmir13579
07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
'Melo is a POS in my opinion. Knicks instantly moved in the wrong direction when they traded for him.

Iceman_9
07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
He doesn't want to pass.

Bornknick73
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Um no he still cant pass

For a guy who cant pass you were sucking his dick pretty hard when you thought you were gonna get him.

tredigs
07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
How good would Tyson Chandler be if D'Antoni made him a good offensive player?

Sorry, water into wine is a myth.

Hawkeye15
07-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, Melo has always had the physical talent to be great, but doesn't care enough to be that. He does not have the mindset to be a good defender.

MrfadeawayJB
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
How can Mike Woodson MAKE Melo a good defensive player? Melo has to want it for himself

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, Melo has always had the physical talent to be great, but doesn't care enough to be that. He does not have the mindset to be a good defender.

bingo

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
You have to go along with it, they are obsessed with hating Melo. I still dont see how people put Durant in the top 2 players though.

lmao This x1000 (to both points).

LTBaByyy
07-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Stop saying Melo can't pass, y'all bash him for passing but praise Durant?

Hypocrite

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:23 PM

But you're overlooking the fact that no one (any time soon, maybe ever) will be better than LeBron.. yes maybe ever lol.

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Hypocrite

lol Ahmen. I know you prob weren't goin in this direction but KD gets way more praise and less criticism than everyone else in the league right now its actually borderline sickening/funny

Evolution23
07-24-2012, 11:28 PM
another bait thread.

tredigs
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM

Hypocrite

His defense is much worse than KD's, and so is his offensive ability. Melo has never sniffed the level of efficiency KD puts up. From TS% to PER, it isn't close by any means.

Nobody's praising KD's passing that I've seen. In that regard they're both run of the mill for shoot-first forwards.

But even with what we could consider solid/consistent D he would not be a top two SF.

But you're overlooking the fact that no one (any time soon, maybe ever) will be better than LeBron.. yes maybe ever lol.

We've seen better before, we'll see better again.

Losoway
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
melo defense isnt really even that bad . he is a average defender

this is the first forum i been in that hates melo so much .

he is top 5 easy

Losoway
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
kevin durant plays some of the worst defense i seen for a superstar in a while.

but he is the nba golden child so nobody calls him out on that

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
His defense is much worse than KD's, and so is his offensive ability. Melo has never sniffed the level of efficiency KD puts up. From TS% to PER, it isn't close by any means.

Nobody's praising KD's passing that I've seen. In that regard they're both run of the mill for shoot-first forwards.

But even with what we could consider solid/consistent D he would not be a top two SF.

Why would he not be?

Melo is a better scorer actually, he can do it all on offence, kd can't bang with the big men, Melo, well go back and re-watch the 09 playoffs vs. LA.
Lotta y'all on here got short term memories. KD got that pure stroke though and I'll give u more efficient but more efficient doesn't make you better ask Andre Miller.

kobemelo
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM

I havent seen better before. I've never seen anyone dominate the game of basketball like lebron and do the things lebron does on the court.

3ballbomber
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Defense is a good start. but what about the smiling, the will, the heart & being more team orientated. Melo has a long way to go to help any team to a title. Being an offensive beast alone won't cut it as his shown throughout his career.

Punk
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM

Hypocrite

It's comical. I've learned to accept it. Before the Melo trade, Melo used to destroy Durant in every meeting. In fact, OKC got their first franchise win in Denver AFTER the trade.

Go on 82games.com and the advanced stats show Melo > Durant in passing last season.

But that will be totally ignored because stats are meaningless when they favor the Knicks.

Knicks21
07-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Defense is a good start. but what about the smiling, the will, the heart & being more team orientated. Melo has a long way to go to help any team to a title. Being an offensive beast alone won't cut it as his shown throughout his career.

I do not question Melo in any of these, he has as much heart and will as anyone in the league.

tredigs
07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Why would he not be?

Melo is a better scorer actually, he can do it all on offence, kd can't bang with the big men, Melo, well go back and re-watch the 09 playoffs vs. LA.
Lotta y'all on here got short term memories. KD got that pure stroke though and I'll give u more efficient but more efficient doesn't make you better ask Andre Miller.

A better scorer who scores less with worse efficiency? Scoring MORE POINTS on HIGHER EFFICIENCY year after year after year does make you a better scorer. 10 times out of 10. There's no argument otherwise; better at the rim, better from 16-23, better from 3, better from the line (and better at drawing contact). Just better.

I havent seen better before. I've never seen anyone dominate the game of basketball like lebron and do the things lebron does on the court.

Hahaha -- All I can say is that there is a zero percent chance you're over the age of 25 and have not spent much time looking at the game before 2003 (and/or you're just trollin').

justinnum1
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM

You can't bring up advanced stats or anything that makes melo look less than a top 10 player. The homers won't accept it.

It's comical. I've learned to accept it. Before the Melo trade, Melo used to destroy Durant in every meeting. In fact, OKC got their first franchise win in Denver AFTER the trade.

Go on 82games.com and the advanced stats show Melo > Durant in passing last season.

But that will be totally ignored because stats are meaningless when they favor the Knicks.
First part there, come on, KD has improved so much very quick. Melo can't touch KD's level of efficiency. THeir assists numbers are the same and KD avg 2 reb a game more.

As for the 2nd part; :facepalm:

I do not question Melo in any of these, he has as much heart and will as anyone in the league.

Maybe so but his effort level at times is embarrassing. He quit out there to get the coach fired. Look at the superstars in the league, they do whatever it takes to win, i dont see it in melo.

IBleedPurple
07-24-2012, 11:55 PM
The thread title should be changed to:

"How good would Woodson be if he made Melo a defensive player?"

He would be among the ranks of magician/sorcerer/guru of all athletics.

3ballbomber
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
I do not question Melo in any of these, he has as much heart and will as anyone in the league.You may perceive it as such but from what i see his efforts are hardly in context for the benefit of the team more than it is for his own personal self purposes. which is why i mentioned being Team Orientated. Melo is a selfish player and each time i see him play i see somebody who is playing for himself. A good player must transcend his efforts to a team based purpose - once i see him enforce that will, heart and determination for the betterment of the teams advancement then i will agree with you. This is the reason the Nuggets & now the Knicks will always fall short, spite of his offensive strengths.

3ballbomber
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
The thread title should be changed to:

"How good would Woodson be if he made Melo a defensive player?"

He would be among the ranks of magician/sorcerer/guru of all athletics.
touche, sir.

Kenny
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
You can't bring up advanced stats or anything that makes melo look less than a top 10 player. The homers won't accept it.

First part there, come on, KD has improved so much very quick. Melo can't touch KD's level of efficiency. THeir assists numbers are the same and KD avg 2 reb a game more.

Maybe so but his effort level at times is embarrassing. He quit out there to get the coach fired. Look at the superstars in the league, they do whatever it takes to win, i dont see it in melo.

What has Dwight Howard done besides tank last season and get his coach fired. Deron Williams has basically taken the last 2 years off after getting Sloan fired. There have been a lot of superstar players that have helped get their coach fired.

TheRunKiller
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
To me Melo & Durant are on the same level

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
What has Dwight Howard done besides tank last season and get his coach fired. Deron Williams has basically taken the last 2 years off after getting Sloan fired. There have been a lot of superstar players that have helped get their coach fired.

Dwill was on a bottom feeder and i dont consider him a super star

Dwight is a ****ing diva, he deserves his own category.

Everything i said stands. And just because others tried to get their coaches fired that doesn't make it ok

:drunk:

Knicks21
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM

According to Berman and the nypost... we cant believe anything we hear these days. Until I hear someone with direct knowledge of his situation (ie a coach or team mate), I cant believe the reports.

mamba24
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM

uhhh... i guess we'll never know cuz that will never happen...

mamba24
07-25-2012, 12:22 AM

id say no... be honest... have you ever seen him pass the ball??? didnt think so...

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:46 AM

yo TRK, whatchu' smoking?

Bishnoff
07-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Even with good D, he'd still be a black hole on offense and not a winner.

Fresno
07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Melo plays such an unconventionial style of basketball that he will always have haters who criticize his game no matter what.

This thread is almost like a joke because there is no perfect player in the NBA.

There are a lot of criticisms about LeBron's game, Kobe's game, Durant's game, etc.

I dont understand why people pretend Melo is this special case when the same people who don't like how he plays on offense are the same ones arguing how Kobe is not an inefficient shot jacker who purposely zones out his teammates on the floor.

KniCks4LiFe
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
lols that sig :laugh2:

JLynn943
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm convinced that he knows how to play defense very well but just doesn't care to try. On rare occasions when he exerts himself and plays like he cares, he's just as good as anybody in the league. (Yes, anybody). However, it is extraordinarily rare to see him play like that. He seems more content to play at the level that is natural to him. Not even the playoffs necessarily motivate him, so if Woodson can somehow figure out how to get Melo to play hard, he deserves coach of the year.

Gagan136
07-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Uh he would be top 10 for sure, maybe top 5?

agureghian
07-25-2012, 01:08 AM
top 10

bron
kd
dwight
wade
cp3
kobe
rose

Lebron > Durant > Kobe > Cp3 > Rose > Wade > Dwight

Losoway
07-25-2012, 02:29 AM
melo is top 5 .

TheRunKiller
07-25-2012, 02:33 AM
yo TRK, whatchu' smoking?

that loud. 50 a 8th come get it bro

BURAKOBE
07-25-2012, 06:25 AM

It's clear you didn't watch Mj, Shaq.

GIANTKNICK
07-25-2012, 06:41 AM
KD plays defense?

Atl Bill
07-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Woodson is a garbage coach, and he is under a lot of pressure under those NY lights. He will look to Melo as the go to guy on the team, but under him MELO will not improve his defense. This is a mental toughness issue, IF melo wanted to add tenacious D to his game, he doesn't need a coach, or a coaches system to help him get there. If he finally adapts to a lebron style of play, Team First / create for the other players/ Hardwork on the defensive side/ starts with defense which leads to transition baskets/ take on the offense once its stagnant or out of control. THIS IS A MENTAL THING FOR A GUY LIKE him. HE HAS THE ABILITy BUT WILL HE ADAPT THIS SEASON, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WOODSON, WHO IS A GOD AWFUL COACH, and DEVELOPING PLAYERS!

LongIslandIcedZ
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
^ Melo's defense improved immensely under Woodson last year.

Anyway, this is kind of an interpretive question, if Melo improves to Lebron-esqu levels of defense, he'll be the third best player in the league. Now obviously improving to the point of being on Lebron's level is quite a leap. If his defense improves and he becomes a good or very good defender, he'll probably be in the top 5-7 in the league. Personally, I believe he is there already but I know that isnt the public opinion.

MR.TRIPDUB
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
the better question would be "does he have the potential to be a great defender?"

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
how much better can u be with then the top 5 he is. His defense is fine he just doesnt make the crazy athletic blocks thar are on sportscenter

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:17 AM

did u ever think that its because he doesnt play with a hardenor a westbrook and others teams defense focus on him more. Stick to checkers

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
'Melo is a POS in my opinion. Knicks instantly moved in the wrong direction when they traded for him.

Lol u mad lin gone. Yea wrong direction like 6 games above .500 they have done that in a decade and actually won a playoff game. Thats not alot of improvement but look who they played the all cheat coward team and ofcourse we are only team who got them fully healthy.

Rockice_8
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
He's still not that efficient on offense though so no he'll never be on Lebron's level.

LBJ shot 53% from the field last year, Melo shot 43% (not even close). Melo is a very good offensive player but more effort on D means less energy for offense. So does that affect his offense game? who knows because I don't ever see him being a good defensive player so this topic is pointless.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 10:34 AM
He's still not that efficient on offense though so no he'll never be on Lebron's level.

LBJ shot 53% from the field last year, Melo shot 43% (not even close). Melo is a very good offensive player but more effort on D means less energy for offense. So does that affect his offense game? who knows because I don't ever see him being a good defensive player so this topic is pointless.

LBJ=coward alot easier when u have wade on ur team to me nothing he does gets the same credit as previous greats

koreancabbage
07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
LBJ=coward alot easier when u have wade on ur team to me nothing he does gets the same credit as previous greats

and demanding a trade from Denver isn't being a coward? All of Melo's faults are even more magnified in New York. Got out of the first round, like once?

don't even start with Lebron...just saying.

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
and demanding a trade from Denver isn't being a coward? All of Melo's faults are even more magnified in New York. Got out of the first round, like once?

don't even start with Lebron...just saying.

Lets see He wanted to play home from Ny/bmore while lecunt turned his back on his home town.

Melo lost to 6 NBA finals teams in first round while lecunt playing teams like wizards 2 times hawks nets are u serious? One time wizards didnt even have their 3 best players. Only legit series he won was vs Pistons everything on miami is tainited its like olympics team playin in the nba. Guy is a strait coward i wish he was not in the nba he ruined the league from a competitive standpoint

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Lets see He wanted to play home from Ny/bmore while lecunt turned his back on his home town.

Melo lost to 6 NBA finals teams in first round while lecunt playing teams like wizards 2 times hawks nets are u serious? One time wizards didnt even have their 3 best players. Only legit series he won was vs Pistons everything on miami is tainited its like olympics team playin in the nba. Guy is a strait coward i wish he was not in the nba he ruined the league from a competitive standpoint

And you wanted him in 2010:laugh2:

dalton749
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Omg he would be so good if they could get him to play defense and hit a treadmill

sep11ie
07-25-2012, 11:30 AM
How much good could a goodchuck chuck if a goodchuck could chuck good?

Jint.
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
better question.. How good would Steve Nash be if he could dunk from the free throw line..?

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
And you wanted him in 2010:laugh2:

if we got him in 2010 i would stop being a knick fan

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Sure.:rolleyes:

nicegoing
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
He would be... OFF THE CHAINNN!!!

NYKnickFanatic
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM

:laugh2: That is probably the dumbest **** I have ever heard on here. If not the dumbest, definitely top 5.

mjm07
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM

MELO will never be better than LBJ.

That being said, IF Melo actually played consistently efficient defense he can most def be a top 5 player.

Thats a big "IF".

ShockerArt
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Good enough to lose to Chicago/Miami every year in the playoffs

smith&wesson
07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Top 5.

nycsports2
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
def top 5 but honestly the guy can already play d very well actually he just doesnt like to which is the real issue...

LongIslandIcedZ
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
He'd be among the top 3 or 5 if he was as good on D as Lebron. Unfortunately he probably cant get on that level based on athleticism alone. He is athletic enough to be great defender, he just needs to want it. That's all defense is. Lebron's wanting it compared to his freakish athleticism equals an unbelievable defensive player.

bucketss
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM

you can say this as much as you want you and i both know that is a lie, i hate when grown men start arguing sports like a female. omg i hate lebron if he was on my team i would totally stop being a fan

Da Knicks
07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
MELO will never be better than LBJ.

That being said, IF Melo actually played consistently efficient defense he can most def be a top 5 player.

Thats a big "IF".

Ok, because lebron is never going to slow down and never going to lose his athletic ability that is his best attribute? Injuries are part of the game and a man that weighs 250+ landing on his knees and ankles every single time will not break down. Lebron has realized this and that is why he worked out with the dream this past summer. Long playoff runs and olympics will be tough to deal with, Lebron looked tired against the mavs last year and i wouldnt be surprised if he looks tired this next season. Skill set goes a long way and Melo has plenty of that so its not as far fetched as you think...:)

SluggeR
07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
How good would the Knicks be, if Woodson & Melo actually incorporated STAT into the offense?

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
you can say this as much as you want you and i both know that is a lie, i hate when grown men start arguing sports like a female. omg i hate lebron if he was on my team i would totally stop being a fan

I cant stand that coward and his fans. I have a tough time rooting for my country just because he is on the team. Perfect world Lebron get caught using steroids and get kicked of team USA we win with out him!:clap: He did have some steroid symptoms in the past so this aint a total joke if i found out he was on steroids i woudlnt be suprised at all.

bucketss
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I cant stand that coward and his fans. I have a tough time rooting for my country just because he is on the team. Perfect world Lebron get caught using steroids and get kicked of team USA we win with out him!:clap: He did have some steroid symptoms in the past so this aint a total joke if i found out he was on steroids i woudlnt be suprised at all.

cool story bro, sack up and start arguing sports like a real man and get your petty emotions together. people like you ruin sports for me.

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 01:23 PM

wow dude. just wow.

bucketss
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
wow dude. just wow.

i always said lebron has the ability to turn grown men into 15 year old girls.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
he genrates alot of hate never seen such a talent be such a coward and have the heart of a mouse

mjm07
07-25-2012, 01:37 PM
he genrates alot of hate never seen such a talent be such a coward and have the heart of a mouse

What else do you see? :laugh::laugh:

:drunk::crazy: = BklynKnicks3

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
What else do you see? :laugh::laugh:

:drunk::crazy: = BklynKnicks3

I see a coward who was owned by Melo Until he joined wade what was it head to head 11-2 melo? or was it 9-2 I forget but remember him being owned and the same record vs wade.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
It's funny, I actually disliked Lebron for the same general reasons. Back when he chose the Heat the first thing that popped into my head was I thought he was a coward. But since then, he has certainly shed that image. I dont think he's gonna win many more titles with the Heat, but certainly not because of Lebron lol.

bucketss
07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I see a coward who was owned by Melo Until he joined wade what was it head to head 11-2 melo? or was it 9-2 I forget but remember him being owned and the same record vs wade.

can you show me any stats that indicates that he owned him?

mjm07
07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok, because lebron is never going to slow down and never going to lose his athletic ability that is his best attribute? Injuries are part of the game and a man that weighs 250+ landing on his knees and ankles every single time will not break down. Lebron has realized this and that is why he worked out with the dream this past summer. Long playoff runs and olympics will be tough to deal with, Lebron looked tired against the mavs last year and i wouldnt be surprised if he looks tired this next season. Skill set goes a long way and Melo has plenty of that so its not as far fetched as you think...:)

That isn't what I said though. MELO will never be better than Lebron is what i said. Don't get it twisted, i think Melo is a superstar.

Lebron has some skill also, i think but don't quote me on that. Its not all athletic ability. He's built a pretty effecient post game and showed it particularly in the postseason. That will only get better.

In this hypothetical thread no it not far-fetched but in reality it most definitely is.

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 01:50 PM

:laugh2:

bklynknivks3 proving the comic relief for the day, please continue.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
can you show me any stats that indicates that he owned him?

stats wise its about even its the wins and game winner in lebrons mouth when he cried or did u forget that

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
:laugh2:

bklynknivks3 proving the comic relief for the day, please continue.

40 k post congrads on the milesstone its more impressive then Le***** championship thats for sure

tredigs
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM

You talk about looking tired against the Mavs last summer, what about against OKC in THESE finals? He still led the playoffs in minutes played and absolutely smashed OKC, capped off with a triple-double in the clinching finals game. I see no scenario where that ever happens in Melo's career.

You say his best attribute is his athleticism? First of all, you have to understand that much of that is maintained by tireless work ethic and dedication to staying fit. I don't know their diet/workout routines but it's plainly obvious that Melo's is not ideal.

We could also argue that Lebron's size for his position, court vision/playmaking ability, pure passing ability, mid-range game and defensive prowess are all equally impressive attributes (and all better than Melo by a country mile).

So no, even in a fairytale scenario where a max-paid pro changed his ways a decade later to become the best version of himself, he still would fall well short of Lebron. It would take a monumental injury to change that.

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
40 k post congrads on the milesstone its more impressive then Le***** championship thats for sure

:rimshot:

more please.

bucketss
07-25-2012, 02:02 PM
stats wise its about even its the wins and game winner in lebrons mouth when he cried or did u forget that

how exactly is that owned? are regular season games that important to you? kobe has a 6-11 record against lebron guess who cares? no one.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
how exactly is that owned? are regular season games that important to you? kobe has a 6-11 record against lebron guess who cares? no one.

no1 because one has 5 rings other has none to me what he won is like a gold medal. One lives for big moment other folds like cheap polyester. whats to compare he the best talent of all time but he is a coward for joining wade how do u not win with that team 0 credit

bucketss
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
no1 because one has 5 rings other has none to me what he won is like a gold medal. One lives for big moment other folds like cheap polyester. whats to compare he the best talent of all time but he is a coward for joining wade how do u not win with that team 0 credit

yawn i really don't care about the whole lebron is a coward thing can you start arguing like a man instead of a female?

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
rabble rabble rabble

Becks2307
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
oh god these threads

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 02:16 PM

How old are you? Do you really live vicariously through LeBron failures? There is far more to life then sports dude, jesus. Your boy will never be in the conversation with LeBron James. That died in year 2 of their respective careers. You can come up with whatever you like to justify YOUR hatred towards LeBron, it doesn't change the fact that he is far superior to Carmelo Anthony as a basketball player.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:17 PM
lol. I still dislike Lebron but only for his flopping.. I don't have an intense hatred for the guy and was actually relieved to see him win it all.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 02:18 PM
lol. I still dislike Lebron but only for his flopping.. I don't have an intense hatred for the guy and was actually relieved to see him win it all.

you must hate half the league then haha. God I hope they get rid of flopping, though you can't get rid of it entirely. I can't hate on LeBron for finally adding that into his game after he watched for 7 years other players getting away with it.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
you must hate half the league then haha. God I hope they get rid of flopping, though you can't get rid of it entirely. I can't hate on LeBron for finally adding that into his game after he watched for 7 years other players getting away with it.

Lebron gets held to higher standards than the rest of the league.

Kashmir13579
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Plus, Lebron being the strongest player in the NBA, and all, it just looks ridiculous when he flops.

Punk
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM

Agreed but I certainly developed intense hate watching him act and flop his way to the free throw line on every play during the playoffs.

Other than that, I don't really hate him like that anymore. If I ever see him flop his way to the finals again, I hope someone lays him out though.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
How old are you? Do you really live vicariously through LeBron failures? There is far more to life then sports dude, jesus. Your boy will never be in the conversation with LeBron James. That died in year 2 of their respective careers. You can come up with whatever you like to justify YOUR hatred towards LeBron, it doesn't change the fact that he is far superior to Carmelo Anthony as a basketball player.

i dont live vicariously through any1 iam good nothign wrong with hating a coward. Iam bored at work killin time ur boy just got more posts then new york. New york post lmaooooo

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Agreed but I certainly developed intense hate watching him act and flop his way to the free throw line on every play during the playoffs.

Other than that, I don't really hate him like that anymore. If I ever see him flop his way to the finals again, I hope someone lays him out though.

you don't flop your way to the ridiculous numbers he put up in the playoffs this year. One of the top 4-5 playoff runs in history.

JLynn943
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
i dont live vicariously through any1 iam good nothign wrong with hating a coward. Iam bored at work killin time ur boy just got more posts then new york. New york post lmaooooo

What is that even supposed to mean? Is that an insult?

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM

well, the coward is a straight up beast player, and the best player in the world. Hate away

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
well, the coward is a straight up beast player, and the best player in the world. Hate away

He is which makes him even more of a coward cant win a ring the right way hop on a man team who already won without u. Even thoe he flopped 20 times a game vs dallas doing it

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM

He is which makes him even more of a coward cant win a ring the right way hop on a man team who already won without u. Even thoe he flopped 20 times a game vs dallas doing it
:bla:

seikou8
07-25-2012, 02:42 PM
t:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

nycsports2
07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
bron woulda hung himself already if he played in ny lol

seikou8
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
if bron was here there will be more knicks fans and we would of took psd over if we haven't already;)

nate2usmc
07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
bron woulda hung himself already if he played in ny lol

Woulda looked like Mike Woodson after his contract :facepalm:

Losoway
07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
if bron was in new york. we would have !) defended him against all the haters 2) made him the biggest star in the world

new york >

Cal827
07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I would actually consider him to be a superstar.

BklynKnicks3
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Lecon the biggest athlete coward in the history of sports.

jam
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Better than Jeremy Lin and Omar Asik combined.

BobbyHillSwag
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
well since melo is already top 5 probably top 2

ewing
07-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Melo does play D when motivated. The biggest hole in his game is moving without the ball and playing within a flow. We saw what playing without the ball and flashing to the post instead camping and looking for a clearout did for Lebron this post season. Melo needs to copy that

ewing
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM

I hate him b/c he is a tool and has a chance to reach lengend status

Hawkeye15
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM

hahaha, thanks. I needed that.

b@llhog24
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM

I'll wait until his career is over.

Says the guy who only uses PER.

Melo plays such an unconventionial style of basketball that he will always have haters who criticize his game no matter what.

This thread is almost like a joke because there is no perfect player in the NBA.

There are a lot of criticisms about LeBron's game, Kobe's game, Durant's game, etc.

I dont understand why people pretend Melo is this special case when the same people who don't like how he plays on offense are the same ones arguing how Kobe is not an inefficient shot jacker who purposely zones out his teammates on the floor.

+1

It's clear you didn't watch Mj, Shaq.

That's only two players, its not like he was 50 players off or something.

It's assuming he maintains his offensive "efficiency" while improving his defense.

:clap:

You do realize that Lebron is one of the most durable player ever seen in the Nba right?

The return of BHS. :worthy:

3ballbomber
07-25-2012, 08:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309473_251630441621233_236886525_n.jpg

justinnum1
07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Lmao

seikou8
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309473_251630441621233_236886525_n.jpg

andkobe him and kobe play the same way i dont see a difference in stats or video

Cal827
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM

:laugh: :facepalm:

ohreally
07-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Omg he would be so good if they could get him to play defense and hit a treadmill

Not wanted, expected. And expected Bosh or whoever else the Knicks wanted. And Toney Douglas was going to be the perfect point guard on the team.

I have to agree that the fact that teams can get themselves into position to take on three superstars plus is sign of a sick sport. But the Knicks fans wanted, expected, felt they were entitled to the same basic team structure as Miami got, with LeBron as the main guy. So ragging on him now for being part of that team somewhere else is pretty sorry.

I just don't understand New York anymore. I don't recognize it anymore.

OK, fans of all teams mix a whole lot of great expectations into their water, but the need for everyone else to "acknowledge" just how great the Knicks are, and feeling persecuted when they don't...It's like the bizarro world version of New York. More Podunk than Podunk.

b@llhog24
07-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Lol. I'm a big Melo fan but this was funny.

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Lol. I'm a big Melo fan but this was funny.

lol i laughed too

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
:laugh: :facepalm:

any1 one who doesnt think melo is top 5 doesnt know basketball or is just a hater

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
any1 one who doesnt think melo is top 5 doesnt know basketball or is just a hater

this

BURAKOBE
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
That's only two players, its not like he was 50 players off or something

But the fact that he said there wasn't any player as dominant as LBJ is, makes your post irrelevant.

Do you think you are the cop of this topic or what?

petski
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Melo is not a middle schooler who would benefit from a coach showing him the right way to play defense. He is almost 30, and as a coach in the NBA, you can only show the players where you want them to be. Its up to the player to be there and play efficient. My point is that a NBA coach can't just make a player into a defensive stud, its up to the player to do that.

Blitzbolt
07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Melo is just to fat to play defense.It won't happen he drinks chocolate milk before games!

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Melo is just to fat to play defense.It won't happen he drinks chocolate milk before games!

besides chocolate milk being one of the best post workout drinks you can have, Melo is not fat. You are probably 10x fatter than him, fatty.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Melo is far from fat he is in terrfic shape. If he loses weight he wont be the Bully anymore and wont be able to bang with the pfs and centers worry about ur own team clowns. Go root for that coward in miami who needed to join his rival to win a ring its hllarious to me how peopel can give him credit for that How do u not win with 2 top 5 players a top 15 player and the best role player in the league battier. #kingwiththetaintedlegacy

Hoopin&Swoopin
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Posts like this make it impossible to actually discuss basketball.

I'm a Knicks fan but there is absolutely no way that you can justify that Melo is clear cut top 5 NBA player. He's certainly in the top 10 discussion (I guess top 5 if you make an incredibly compelling argument). He's got the talent, but his resume is pretty weak.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Posts like this make it impossible to actually discuss basketball.

I'm a Knicks fan but there is absolutely no way that you can justify that Melo is clear cut top 5 NBA player. He's certainly in the top 10 discussion (I guess top 5 if you make an incredibly compelling argument). He's got the talent, but his resume is pretty weak.

how is his resume weak.

Only active player who avgs 30 min o rmore for career who never missed playoffs. His playoff failures are simply explained lost to 6 NBA finals teams
Career scoring avg 24.7,5 time all star. Has only played with a great player for 1 season Iverson.

Lecunt (won nothing until wade played vs weak east) head to head Melo 11-2
Wade won his legit chip with shaq head to head melo 11-2
(I dont count head to heads since lebron adn wade joined like cowards)
Kobe with out a doubt better player but right now he is on the decline(has always had great big men the 1 year he didnt he missed the playoffs)
Durant never won more then 24 games before he got harden and Westbrook

Those are the only guys Who u can make cases for being better then Melo.

Bellz
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
how is his resume weak.

Only active player who avgs 30 min o rmore for career who never missed playoffs. His playoff failures are simply explained lost to 6 NBA finals teams
Career scoring avg 24.7,5 time all star. Has only played with a great player for 1 season Iverson.

Kobe with out a doubt better player but right now he is on the decline(has always had great big men the 1 year he didnt he missed the playoffs)

Rose-Cp3-D12-Love-Dwill. You could make a case being better then melo. You really make knicks fans look stupid when you say he is a top 5 player no question:facepalm:.

justinnum1
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
how is his resume weak.

Homer alert!

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
how is his resume weak.

Your backup is that melo averages 30 min or more for his career and never missed a playoff game, and that he averages 24 ppg? are u ******** me? Thats the most mediocre stat line for a top 5 player ive ever seen.

HJow about that wade averages EVERYTHING more then Melo. except rebounds by ONE. Melo is 6-8 and averages a rebound more than a 6-4 gaurd.

And its fitting that he played with iverson because he's a terrible team player, who kills all semblance of ball movement and fluidity on offense. and the majority of his rebounds are off his own damn misses, he doesnt crash the boards, doesnt try on defense and shot 43% last year, which isnt off his career avg.

Top 5 my @$$

Hoopin&Swoopin
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
how is his resume weak.

I don't understand how you can discredit these guys for playing with strong supporting casts while Melo has too (Iverson, Chauncey, STAT, Tyson).

I will admit phrased the weak resume point incorrectly. My main argument is that the guys ahead of him all have much stronger resumes. I understand that you're mad that guys like LeBron and Wade teamed up together and you discredit them for it, but the fact is they won (with LeBron putting up historic numbers).

In addition, I think the fact that the vast majority of objective NBA fans tend to agree that Melo is not a top 5 player says something. These people aren't haters, they're looking at straight facts.

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
2ble

YoungOne
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
melo already is a good defensive player :)
V
V
V

mjm07
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Homer alert!

Horrendous homer alert!

:laugh::laugh:

NYC1213
07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Melo is defiantly a superstar but not top 5. He needs to improve his efficiency as a scorer as well as his passing. However the knicks did not get him to be a distributor and defender. I think this years knicks will be a lot better defensively melo is 6'9 and will be playing sf giving him an advantage against smaller forwards.

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Your backup is that melo averages 30 min or more for his career and never missed a playoff game, and that he averages 24 ppg? are u ******** me? Thats the most mediocre stat line for a top 5 player ive ever seen.

HJow about that wade averages EVERYTHING more then Melo. except rebounds by ONE. Melo is 6-8 and averages a rebound more than a 6-4 gaurd.

And its fitting that he played with iverson because he's a terrible team player, who kills all semblance of ball movement and fluidity on offense. and the majority of his rebounds are off his own damn misses, he doesnt crash the boards, doesnt try on defense and shot 43% last year, which isnt off his career avg.

Top 5 my @$$

The ultimate myth of iverson, told by people that never watched him :clap::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
homer alert!

oh the irony

faze38
07-26-2012, 11:26 AM
With great D Melo would be top 3 and in order for him to be the best he needs a ring. I mean everyone wants to talk about Melo's efficiency and then want to talk about guys like Kobe and forget that those guys are just as inefficient. So what it comes down to when your separating them is D Kobe can play D with the best of them while Melo plays D when he wants.

justinnum1
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
oh the irony

Your funny billy

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
The ultimate myth of iverson, told by people that never watched him :clap::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Buddy im probably twice your age, ive been watching iverson since he was in college. The man played no perimeter defense, got his steals off help defense and his idea of ball movement was was dishing it off if he couldnt get his own shot.

And by the way, Iverson hasnt been out of the league that long, your not getting away with making him a good all around player.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Rose-Cp3-D12-Love-Dwill. You could make a case being better then melo. You really make knicks fans look stupid when you say he is a top 5 player no question:facepalm:.

Love lol Good player but alot of Grabage number on Grabage team how about leading ur team to a .500 record before being on ANY top 10 list.

Rose is not Better give me a 6'8 clutch go to player anyday what happend when rose played vs the heat and lecunt? got shutdown what Melo did avg 27.8 with no help

D12 is more Valuable because he is the Only legit Big man but has no offensive game sorry i cant put him up there

Dwill hasnt sniffed playoffs since he had a Legit guy in Boozer. Put Melo on any team in the nba and they will be 500 over a 82 game season. Why did Nets go for Melo first if dwill better?

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Homer alert!

Far fro homer i said he was top 5 when he was a nugget and i dont have amare in the top 25.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Top 5 my @$$

Melo was healthy the first month and last month of season numbers looked 29/8/4 and team was 24 and 10. Everything in between he had groin and wrist injuries. Wade no doubt has superstar production but if u take away all his flops he is rodney stuckey

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't understand how you can discredit these guys for playing with strong supporting casts while Melo has too (Iverson, Chauncey, STAT, Tyson).

I will admit phrased the weak resume point incorrectly. My main argument is that the guys ahead of him all have much stronger resumes. I understand that you're mad that guys like LeBron and Wade teamed up together and you discredit them for it, but the fact is they won (with LeBron putting up historic numbers).

In addition, I think the fact that the vast majority of objective NBA fans tend to agree that Melo is not a top 5 player says something. These people aren't haters, they're looking at straight facts.

Iverson legit star no doubt prolly not the easiest guy to play with same can be said about Melo.
Tyson star? hell no solid player
Chauncey not a star either but prolly best complment he had check west finals

Stat has been terrible with melo not to mention he knocked himself out of 2 strait playoff series

#ball game

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Love lol Good player but alot of Grabage number on Grabage team how about leading ur team to a .500 record before being on ANY top 10 list.

Rose is not Better give me a 6'8 clutch go to player anyday what happend when rose played vs the heat and lecunt? got shutdown what Melo did avg 27.8 with no help

D12 is more Valuable because he is the Only legit Big man but has no offensive game sorry i cant put him up there

Dwill hasnt sniffed playoffs since he had a Legit guy in Boozer. Put Melo on any team in the nba and they will be 500 over a 82 game season. Why did Nets go for Melo first if dwill better?

I agree with love and rose not being better. Wiliams has a good argument but he hasnt been paired with too good of players. Dwight is absolutely better than melo, lack of big men or not. He still has somewhat of an offensive game and he's amazing defensively

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
what offensive game being stronger then everyone and dunking

Hoopin&Swoopin
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Iverson legit star no doubt prolly not the easiest guy to play with same can be said about Melo.
Tyson star? hell no solid player
Chauncey not a star either but prolly best complment he had check west finals

Stat has been terrible with melo not to mention he knocked himself out of 2 strait playoff series

#ball game

My point is that you can't discredit other guys for pairing up/lucking out with star players on their team when Melo has had very solid/star players on his team. Shouldn't Melo be held accountable for not making the most of playing with these guys? He's a top 5 talent. However, his talent has not lead to any tangible NBA results (with the exception of that one Western Conference Finals run).

You knock DWill for not going anywhere since playing in Utah, but the fact is that he made it to the Western Conference finals with Carlos freaking Boozer as his running mate.

You say "D12 is more Valuable because he is the Only legit Big man but has no offensive game" but what they hell does that even mean? Dwight put a team on his back to the NBA finals with a pretty weak supporting cast. You cannot say the same for Melo. Dwight might have what you percieve as an "unfair advantage" because of the lack of top big men in the league, but how can you hold that against him in an argument of top NBA players. Maybe he wouldn't be as dominant if he played in the 90's, but he's in this era and he's as dominant a big man as there is. He may not have a tight post game, but he's still as close to as unstoppable as there is for a big man in the modern day NBA.

Melo has run into formidable opponents in the playoffs, that is a fact. But the more importnat fact is that only once, ONCE, has he made it out of the first round. You can keep making excuses saying so and so was injured, he ran into the champs, but these facts add up to a pretty compelling argument that Melo is not a top 5 NBA player.

mjm07
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
what offensive game being stronger then everyone and dunking

You just described Shaqs game. Are you gonna tell us Melo is better than Shaq too?

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Melo was healthy the first month and last month of season numbers looked 29/8/4 and team was 24 and 10. Everything in between he had groin and wrist injuries. Wade no doubt has superstar production but if u take away all his flops he is rodney stuckey

Your priceless, you and the guy from the kings forum are on a another level.

The way you discredit Melos nuggets teamsfor lack of name power, shows you need to turn off 2k12 and learn some basketball.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
You just described Shaqs game. Are you gonna tell us Melo is better than Shaq too?

I put guys like Wilt shaq n dwight on own list

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
My point is that you can't discredit other guys for pairing up/lucking out with star players on their team when Melo has had very solid/star players on his team. Shouldn't Melo be held accountable for not making the most of playing with these guys? He's a top 5 talent. However, his talent has not lead to any tangible NBA results (with the exception of that one Western Conference Finals run).

You knock DWill for not going anywhere since playing in Utah, but the fact is that he made it to the Western Conference finals with Carlos freaking Boozer as his running mate.

You say "D12 is more Valuable because he is the Only legit Big man but has no offensive game" but what they hell does that even mean? Dwight put a team on his back to the NBA finals with a pretty weak supporting cast. You cannot say the same for Melo. Dwight might have what you percieve as an "unfair advantage" because of the lack of top big men in the league, but how can you hold that against him in an argument of top NBA players. Maybe he wouldn't be as dominant if he played in the 90's, but he's in this era and he's as dominant a big man as there is. He may not have a tight post game, but he's still as close to as unstoppable as there is for a big man in the modern day NBA.

Melo has run into formidable opponents in the playoffs, that is a fact. But the more importnat fact is that only once, ONCE, has he made it out of the first round. You can keep making excuses saying so and so was injured, he ran into the champs, but these facts add up to a pretty compelling argument that Melo is not a top 5 NBA player.

I give guys a pass If u are not supposed to win the guy played some of the best teams of his era. His playoff number are alil above reg season and he is the best closer in the game liek i said a million times give him harden n wb, or wade and these stupid convos never even come up

SaimuKala
07-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Rose is better. Chicago Bulls with a healthy Rose would **** on NY. Switch teams with Melo and Rose and Rose's team would still win. One time out of the 1st round and you have been in the league for 9 years.. he just doesn't play winning basketball...

In no order:

Wade
KD
Bron
Bryant
Rose
DH12
CP3
Westbrook
Love
Maybe even Rondo

are all better then Melo IMO

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Rose is better. Chicago Bulls with a healthy Rose would **** on NY. Switch teams with Melo and Rose and Rose's team would still win. One time out of the 1st round and you have been in the league for 9 years.. he just doesn't play winning basketball...

In no order:

Wade
KD
Bron
Bryant
Rose
DH12
CP3 (but i never really held cp3 in high regard, so i'll admit im biased)
Westbrook
Love
Maybe even Rondo

bolded=no

justinnum1
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM

In no order:

Wade
KD
Bron
Bryant
Rose
DH12
CP3
Westbrook
Love
Maybe even Rondo

Easily better

bucketss
07-26-2012, 01:32 PM

1.garbage team? minesota is on the same tier as the knicks right now

2. thats cool and all but melos team got blown out almost every game. rose atleast kept the series competitive.

3.he does have an offensive game where do people get that he doesn't smh

4. Theres only two players in the league that can make any team in the league atleast .500 and thats dwight and lebron. Put melo on any of the lottery teams in the west he would not be .500 he barley squeezed it in late with the knicks in a weak east.

BigCityofDreams
07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
CP3 is better than Melo. I don't see how anyone can say he is not.

SaimuKala
07-26-2012, 01:44 PM

2. thats cool and all but melos team got blown out almost every game. rose atleast kept the series competitive.

4. Theres only two players in the league that can make any team in the league atleast .500 and thats dwight and lebron. Put melo on any of the lottery teams in the west he would not be .500 he barley squeezed it in late with the knicks in a weak east.

Prime LeBron can even make the bobcats .750 :laugh:

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Prime LeBron can even make the bobcats .750 :laugh:

whoever originally said this needs to put the glock to their head

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
^the exact same team he took to 60 wins, almost set the record for longest losing streak in sports history the very next year.

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 02:56 PM
^the exact same team he took to 60 wins, almost set the record for longest losing streak in sports history the very next year.

that's pretty ignorant, they were missing a couple of key players from the year before.

Heatcheck
07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
No they werent. do you just randomly type crap on the keyboard and hope its true?

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM

u mean like the 17 win nugget team he took to 42 wins s a rookie. Get ur facts strait then talk. Bulls where like 18 and 6 without rose and beat heat one of thos games so u telling me melo would make the team worse

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
CP3 is better than Melo. I don't see how anyone can say he is not.

Wilt avg those number when guy 6'8 where guarding him he played today his avg is 22 and 12

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Lol at twolves being same level as knicks i would love to put a stack on that. I never saw any1 hate on Melo before he became a knick. I guess thats what happens when u are the King of New York.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Bulls smack Melo and knicks liek when he had 43 and game tie and game winner right? With no Amare stop! Melo top 5 easssssssssssssssy

BigCityofDreams
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Wilt avg those number when guy 6'8 where guarding him he played today his avg is 22 and 12

I'll make sure to pass that onto my friend. :)

justinnum1
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Cp3>>>>>>melo

Wake up people

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Cp3>>>>>>melo

Wake up people

He better at makin his teammates better because he is a pg. His impact on a game is no greater then melos indvidually. Id build my team around a 6'8 240 scoring machine any day of the week then a lil guard. Id love to have cp3 to complment melo thoe instead of Amare clumsy ***.

nate2usmc
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Damn this thread is awesome!

Blitzbolt
07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Playing defense is not something you teach you either do it or you don't.

b@llhog24
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
That's only two players, its not like he was 50 players off or something

But the fact that he said there wasn't any player as dominant as LBJ is, makes your post irrelevant.

Do you think you are the cop of this topic or what?

Because there's an argument that's why. I'm not the one too make it but I've seen some pretty convincing cases.

xxplayerxx23
07-26-2012, 03:48 PM
A top defensive player?????? How good on defense. If he would be changed to a very good defender Id put him top 5-8 range. I have him at 12-15 right now off a bad year

Longhornfan1234
07-26-2012, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=BklynKnicks3;23108638]He better at makin his teammates better because he is a pg. His impact on a game is no greater then melos indvidually. QUOTE]

Homers are going to be homers.

xxplayerxx23
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Cp3>>>>>>melo

Wake up people

I agree 100 percent. and I love melo my favorite player but its not that close Id take paul over melo in a second

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 04:03 PM
People forget how no1 is more clutch in the entire NBA i belive in Melo as a closer over anyone even Kobe. While lebron as a closer reminds me of a lil kid on timeout just goes in the corner and stands there. #coward

Blitzbolt
07-26-2012, 04:07 PM
People forget how no1 is more clutch in the entire NBA i belive in Melo as a closer over anyone even Kobe. While lebron as a closer reminds me of a lil kid on timeout just goes in the corner and stands there. #coward

People also forget how Lebron is the best DEFENSIVE closer in the game while Melo reminds me of a bullfighter he just gets out the way. #fat@$S

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 04:10 PM
People also forget how Lebron is the best DEFENSIVE closer in the game while Melo reminds me of a bullfighter he just gets out the way.

lol defensive closer i seen melo give him 40 3 diffrent times. Lebron is a coward he dont want it with Melo man vs man thats y he hopped on wades dick everything he does after that is tainted

EasternStar
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't think Melo cares about D, he was basically worried about this issue:http://i.imgur.com/nQQle.jpg

TeamSeattle
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't think Melo cares about D, he was basically worried about this issue:http://i.imgur.com/nQQle.jpg

Is that a hotpocket in Felton's hand :laugh:

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
lmao at that pic

EasternStar
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Is that a hotpocket in Felton's hand :laugh:

A Cupcake, (Proof:http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/346/216/raymond-felton-cupcake_original.jpg?1330280565 :laugh2:

SaimuKala
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM

There is no need to close man... LeBron is sitting out the whole 4th quarter if he's playing against the knicks

mjm07
07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Lol at twolves being same level as knicks i would love to put a stack on that. I never saw any1 hate on Melo before he became a knick. I guess thats what happens when u are the King of New York.

I'm pretty sure Eli / Jeter might have a word with you on the King of NY cmt.

BklynKnicks3
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
There is no need to close man... LeBron is sitting out the whole 4th quarter if he's playing against the knicks

Melo 11-2 vs lecon until he joined heat. Melo closed the deal game 4. Beating that team 1 game is a accomplishment they are a cheat team put melo there n lebron on knicks we would see who sittin in the 4th

SaimuKala
07-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Melo 11-2 vs lecon until he joined heat. Melo closed the deal game 4. Beating that team 1 game is a accomplishment they are a cheat team put melo there n lebron on knicks we would see who sittin in the 4th

Whatever. I'm not gonna argue you who's a better player LeBron or Melo..

bucketss
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM

so clutch hes been out the first round once. i will agree clutchest regular season king is melo.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-26-2012, 05:00 PM

Although I agree, its only safe to say Melo is more clutch b/c we really havent seen Melo in the clutch playoff/finals performances.

But to the thread title..Of course he would be elite. Anyone who can play great defense and offense are always invaluable to their teams. Melo is probably the most diverse scorer in the league. He can shoot mid range and 3's, post up, or just lower his head. Durant is still developing his overall game but will never possess the physical skills Carmelo naturally has. If he curbed his inefficiencies on offense and became more of a playmaker as well as advance defensively then he has to be up there in the top 5. You cant really stop Carmelo most of the times he stops himself by chucking jumpers. You cant really say that about alot of players in the league and the list isnt big...

bucketss
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM

lmao this guy is a straight melo-phile.

xxplayerxx23
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
BKlyn knicks makes no sense. please ignore lol

nickdymez
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Melo is by far psd's most hated athlete

naps
07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
He would be better but never as good as someone to lead a franchise to a title. A much defensively improved Melo can to be a good second option on a true contender.

bucketss
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Melo is by far psd's most hated athlete

lebron?

BobbyHillSwag
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
lebron?

lebron has a lot of "fake" haters. They act like they hate them because they know when he wins they are gonna jump on is deek again. they just dont want to blatantly show the homerism. Most of the lebron "haters" are actually closet homers.

xxplayerxx23
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
He would be better but never as good as someone to lead a franchise to a title. A much defensively improved Melo can to be a good second option on a true contender.

GTFOH, If he played good defense he could be a number 1 option on a championship team.

Chronz
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Good isnt good enough, great would be something, then he would be close to Durant