PDA

View Full Version : New trend of adding "OLD" veterans

tuki274
07-24-2012, 03:53 PM
It is funny how adding these "old", "aged" veteran players is now becoming a trend in the NBA. When the Celtics were doing it, they were being laughed at and called all these funny names but look now...almost every contending team is doing it or is at least trying to do it.

It was "funny" when the Celtics added all these oldies and they still had the aging big 3 but it is becoming an extremely popular trend! lol Let's see:

Knicks add Camby, Jason Kidd
Lakers add Steve Nash
Miami adds Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis
Clippers add Grant Hill
Celtics add Jason terry
(please add more)

the old veterans were the talk of this free agency

its good to see that veterans are being recognized because they worth alot more than their age

EDUTEXANS
07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
what's your point?

tuki274
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
what's your point?

uhm trying to point out this new trend? and what people think of it, since adding old, past-their-prime veterans wasn't really as popular as it is now with alot of teams.

jericho
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
what's your point?

uhm trying to point out this new trend? and what people think of it, since adding old, past-their-prime veterans wasn't really as popular as it is now with alot of teams.
When did you started watching nba games?? They have done that for yrs Boston didn't start anything

JeffG20
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
teams have always added veteran players...boston didnt invent this

Klivlend
07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
What do you mean new trend? Teams have always added veteren players.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Jerry Stackhouse and his pancakes.

Evolution23
07-24-2012, 04:48 PM
new trend? This has been happening forever now.

RaiderLakersA's
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
It is funny how adding these "old", "aged" veteran players is now becoming a trend in the NBA. When the Celtics were doing it, they were being laughed at and called all these funny names but look now...almost every contending team is doing it or is at least trying to do it.

It was "funny" when the Celtics added all these oldies and they still had the aging big 3 but it is becoming an extremely popular trend! lol Let's see:

Lakers add Steve Nash
Clippers add Grant Hill
Celtics add Jason terry
(please add more)

its good to see that veterans are being recognized because they worth alot more than their age

I reject your premise. The Celtics did not start the trend of adding veteran players, nor were they ridiculed when they brought in the Big Three.

eugene
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
veterans always existed and they played somewhere... what do you mean saying trend?

sunnydayin'zona
07-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Nash is the only one not past his prime. I swear, that man will die before his prime ends.

Delusional
07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Jerry Stackhouse and his pancakes.

Stack gets buckets.

To the topic at hand, NBA teams have been adding veteran free agents for a long time, this isn't a recent thing started by the Celtics. They just probably get the most recent notoriety because of all the success that they have had in the past 5-6 years with adding veterans to their team.

alexander_37
07-24-2012, 05:20 PM
This has happened since the dawn of free agency.... Not a new trend you're just 12.

apocalypse15
07-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Pretty sure this happens in all major sports (NHL,MLB,NFL) too not just the NBA. Maybe you are noticing now because there is a lot of movement this particular off-season?

Nycbball08
07-24-2012, 05:33 PM
:facepalm:

JeffG20
07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
care to discuss the new trend of trading players and/or Free Agency?

king4day
07-24-2012, 05:39 PM

The new CBA rules have helped boost this it seems (amnesty). Also, the era of the 'big 3' forces teams to go cheap which leads to players desperate for a ring to join top teams.
It does seem to be trending more. For NY it's good to add more veteranship that can make sure Melo or Amar'e don't get out of line. You have championship experience there.

Miami added guys who make them a lot more dangerous.

At least teams are doing it using poor decision making.

NYY 26 to 7
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Yea this what is with this new trend? Bill Walton joining the celtics, pippen drexler and Barkley on the rockets, Malone Payton on the lakers. Payton shaq on the heat. Countless other vets who spend their last few years ring chasing. It has been happening forever and is by no means new or increased and has nothing to do with Boston's big 3 (which I wish the younger fans would stop acting like that was the begining of "big 3s").

Houston_Heat
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I see where he was going with this, it just got ruined by the boston inclusion.. Personally i think adding vets that never play are a waste to an nba team. They bring them in as "mentors" but i think thats what assistant coaches are for as most are great ex-nba players themselves. I think you should scrap the old guys, and give spots to young people like d-leaguers, overseas talent, etc.. There are exceptions, but not many. And if you argue that you need experience in clutch situations, I dont think that holds weight in modern nba times bc most vets wouldnt be playing in clutch situations..

C-Wick925
07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Yea cause teams didnt sign vets before

Aust
07-24-2012, 06:18 PM
This has been going on for a long time...

MrFastBreak
07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Ill pretend like this is a new trend. Still, what's your point?

Theres nothing wrong with adding a vet if they're worth their contract and they can still produce. Point blank.

MrFastBreak
07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I see where he was going with this, it just got ruined by the boston inclusion.. Personally i think adding vets that never play are a waste to an nba team. They bring them in as "mentors" but i think thats what assistant coaches are for as most are great ex-nba players themselves. I think you should scrap the old guys, and give spots to young people like d-leaguers, overseas talent, etc.. There are exceptions, but not many. And if you argue that you need experience in clutch situations, I dont think that holds weight in modern nba times bc most vets wouldnt be playing in clutch situations..

Its quite simple. Why add a prospect youre unsure of when theres a proven guy available on the market? I see if youre rebuilding but most teams who add vets are looking to contend, at least the teams the OP named.

TeamSeattle
07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I think he mean't there is more of an influx of old vets on contending teams then there was in the past I'm guessing IDK. Most of these vets won't have an impact on the game but are just there to mentor and be names to fill seats.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Knicks and Clippers are a contender?

Bornknick73
07-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Knicks and Clippers are a contender?

22-44

So im guessing JJ is good for 20+ wins to that total? Micheal "****ing" Jordan couldnt make your team suck any less.

Someone should do you a Favor....give you a real ****ing team.

xILLN355
07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
22-44

So im guessing JJ is good for 20+ wins to that total? Micheal "****ing" Jordan couldnt make your team suck any less.

umadlol

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
22-44

What are you attacking me for? I said Knicks and Clippers arent a contendor so what does what you just said have anything to do with my statement. Nets arent even in this thread.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-24-2012, 08:03 PM
22-44

Damn, dude chill.

On topic: Adding veterans makes sense if they can still contribute (Kidd and Camby on the Knicks) but JERRY STACKHOUSE?? why did we get him. Isn't Gerald Wallace a veteran? Isn't Joe Johnson a veteran? We don't need Jerry Stackhouse to mentor anyone.

DoMeFavors
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Damn, dude chill.

On topic: Adding veterans makes sense if they can still contribute (Kidd and Camby on the Knicks) but JERRY STACKHOUSE?? why did we get him. Isn't Gerald Wallace a veteran? Isn't Joe Johnson a veteran? We don't need Jerry Stackhouse to mentor anyone.

Because he is one of the best scorers in the league at one point to help Marshon get better at scoring.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
22-44

You need this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fscuv4PIjws

AddiX
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Its a pretty common sense trend, look at the worst teams in the NBA, there all young, and god awful. These guys don't have a clue how to play NBA ball and win at the top level. All the talent in the world won't change that.

Did anyone here watch teams like the Kings or Wizards? Bunch of talented young players who all think there MJ, I saw times last year where Demarcus Cousins literally laughed at guys on his team when they asked him for the ball. SMH

Iceman_9
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Veterans are stabilizers and are very good influence for the young ones. They are also "healthy" inside the locker room. This has been done forever since I have known NBA though. This is not a new trend..

tredigs
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Its a pretty common sense trend, look at the worst teams in the NBA, there all young, and god awful. These guys don't have a clue how to play NBA ball and win at the top level. All the talent in the world won't change that.

Did anyone here watch teams like the Kings or Wizards? Bunch of talented young players who all think there MJ, I saw times last year where Demarcus Cousins literally laughed at guys on his team when they asked him for the ball. SMH

Did you watch teams like the 76ers or Thunder? Majority of the minutes for both teams were guys 25 and under. Let's not pretend that any amount of talent can't overcome veteran savvy.

And DeMarcus will be just as stupid in 6 years.

fishedz
07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Jesus....this thread is worthless

ellington19
07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
can't recall anyone thinking the big 3 coming together as 'funny'.

sep11ie
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Some team shoulda thought of this long before the Celtics and signned Robert Horry.

MrfadeawayJB
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Lakers add Steve Nash
Clippers add Grant Hill
Celtics add Jason terry
(please add more)

Yeah but all these "OLD" veterans are still playing at a high level for their age

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Close this dumb *** thread

Losoway
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
dumb thread

always good to have a few veterans on your team

dodie53
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Nash is the only one not past his prime. I swear, that man will die before his prime ends.

haha.
possibly.

Hellcrooner
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
New trend :facepalm:
I can track down this thing into the 70s like Connie Hawkins and the lakers/hawks for example

King41
07-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Veterans are stabilizers and are very good influence for the young ones. They are also "healthy" inside the locker room. This has been done forever since I have known NBA though. This is not a new trend..

this +1
every team needs some veterans

joeystats
07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Ya this is not a new trend

Chavacano
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
New trend huh? Ha! Good one. Better than "OLD" veterans. I'm guessing the next trend would be "YOUNG" veterans. :rolleyes:

:p

sunsfan88
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
How is this a new trend?

So did you think that before, when a player became 30 years old or so, he would just retire or rot in free agency instead of some team signing some em?

nicegoing
07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
He started watching basketball last year, be nice to him.

mjm07
07-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I wish i was back in High school.

iam brett favre
07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah man that year before the Celtics traded for veteran - not even old - players, really set the trend of signing old free agents.

Jroz
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Remember when the Lakers added Malone and Payton before they retired?..not a new trend chief

Dee_Edge
07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
New Trend....blogging about OLD trends as if they were NEW.

TheNumber37
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
not a new trend, unless before this season players retired before age 35... this can't be a new trend, insinuating means your off season excitement is blocking your think for more than 2 seconds system

seikou8
07-25-2012, 03:51 PM
:facepalm: close thread

Hangtime
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Veteran players have always latched on to teams that are high contenders for championships and contending teams have always recruited their services for leadership and experience. No new trend at all.